PDA

View Full Version : More Disrespect for the Texans

michaelm
09-06-2006, 10:57 AM
A poll on the front page of SI.com asks "which new coach will win the most games?"

I'll give you three guesses... name a coach who is absent from the ballot?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/

Yes, I'm aware that we only won two games last year, but come on... at least put him on your ballot, SI!

powerfuldragon
09-06-2006, 11:06 AM
as far as they're concerned, kubes can't win more than 5 games.

Lucky
09-06-2006, 11:06 AM
I'll give you three guesses... name a coach who is absent from the ballot?
Shell
Jauron
Marinelli
Mangini

Oh, and Kubiak!

Sorry for taking more than 3 guesses.

Malloy
09-06-2006, 11:08 AM
Don't be such a whiner :)

In this article, they mention Houston FIRST!!! Who cares about the poll ;)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/09/05/new.coaches/index.html

infantrycak
09-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Don't be such a whiner :)

In this article, they mention Houston FIRST!!! Who cares about the poll ;)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/09/05/new.coaches/index.html

Kind of funny for them to project Kubiak with the most improvement at 3 games and not include him on the list. Frankly their projections are pretty silly IMO--10 head coaches and 9 teams only moving 1 or 2 games with the 10 the moving 3 games. The NFL is far more fluid than that.

Malloy
09-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Kind of funny for them to project Kubiak with the most improvement at 3 games and not include him on the list. Frankly their projections are pretty silly IMO--10 head coaches and 9 teams only moving 1 or 2 games with the 10 the moving 3 games. The NFL is far more fluid than that.

I agree, somewhat conservative and risk-less predictions IMO.

HOU-TEX
09-06-2006, 12:14 PM
SI has always been a joke! When the Rockets won thier second championship is when they finally printed something positive about them. :brickwall

gwallaia
09-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Ummm, we went 2-14 last season. Why should we get any respect at all?

jerek
09-06-2006, 12:21 PM
As much as I hate to agree, it's true. We haven't really done anything on the field to earn respect yet. Our FO moves have been fantastic, but until we take it past the preseason, there's no strong reason for anyone to believe.

Once Lundy/Morency really take off and we string a couple of serious wins together, ESPN might be content to take us off the blocks for passing on Bush. JMO but the national media never really does well with projections or predictions; like virtually any news outlet, really, they subscribe to the hype and catch the big story after it breaks, not before. They have scant information available if they bother to research teams in the first place.

We're that big story waiting to break. Expect to see ESPN around these parts when we're 7-5 ... not before.

Malloy
09-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Ummm, we went 2-14 last season. Why should we get any respect at all?

IMO this is not even a question about respect, it's about them doing a poll about new coaches, but forgetting to add all of them. I won't be crying myself to sleep, I just wonder how much brain-mass is involved in making these polls :)

Double Barrel
09-06-2006, 12:29 PM
I stopped reading SI a long time ago, and barely pay attention to it when someone gives me free issues. The writing is too fluffy for my tastes.

But yeah, at 2-14 I don't expect any respect. You earn it in the NFL, and I honestly don't want any respect for our team until they do prove that they are worthy (which means that they'll be winning games!).

PhillyFan
09-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Brad Childress

Herm Edwards

Scott Linehan

Mike McCarthy

Sean Payton

Other

Of that list, Herm Edwards should win the most. Childress will drown in Minnesota

HOU-TEX
09-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Brad Childress

Herm Edwards

Scott Linehan

Mike McCarthy

Sean Payton

Other

Of that list, Herm Edwards should win the most. Childress will drown in Minnesota

I agree, but he'll still have a losing record.:)

vtech9
09-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Brad Childress

Herm Edwards

Scott Linehan

Mike McCarthy

Sean Payton

Other

of that list, Childress will probably win the most

Wolf
09-06-2006, 02:18 PM
well if we win 4 games we doubled our win total.. I don't thnk many teams can say they doubled their win total :yahoo:

(a joke)

EF55
09-06-2006, 03:33 PM
of that list, Childress will probably win the most

Any new coach in the NFC north can have a good record if they can go on a roll due to the schedules, NFC north 2xs and NFC west 1x and Buffalo and the Jets once each. Somebody in the central is gonna have a great record but get blown out in the playoffs.

Jerome_Brown_99
09-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Not trying to be a D, but what exactly have the Texans done so far that demands respect?

They got a good coach and a good draft. That's about it. You're not going to get much respect from people after a 2 win season...

michaelm
09-06-2006, 04:04 PM
Not trying to be a D, but what exactly have the Texans done so far that demands respect?

They got a good coach and a good draft. That's about it. You're not going to get much respect from people after a 2 win season...

Sean Payton is the coach of the Saints.
The Saints won a single game more than the Texans last season.
Sean Payton is on the SI.com list.

The Saints drafted Reggie Bush.... hmm, I wonder if there is a connection with Payton being on the list.

I'm just saying Kubiak might deserve to at least be on the ballot.

Jerome_Brown_99
09-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Sean Payton is the coach of the Saints.
The Saints won a single game more than the Texans last season.
Sean Payton is on the SI.com list.

The Saints drafted Reggie Bush.... hmm, I wonder if there is a connection with Payton being on the list.

I'm just saying Kubiak might deserve to at least be on the ballot.

Hey, I'm with you as far as NO being on there.

But they DID draft Bush, and he IS the kind of player that can win a game or two by himelf. He'll have a bigger impact then Williams will THIS year.

They also had no home games last year, an played 9 away games in a situation that has never been endured in the history of sports.

On top of that, they are a bit more talented then the Texans. They have a better DE duo (as of now), they have a better OL, McAllister and Bush are far superior to your back field, etc...

It doesn't make it right, but I can see how they might make it on there. If Bush wins them 2 more games, and they win an extra 2 just from actually playing at home, they are all of a sudden respectable.

Vinny
09-06-2006, 04:17 PM
I'm fine with no respect. It will make us a larger story at the end of the year if we play well. By the end of the year we will get the tag of "teams on the rise for '07" imo.

Lucky
09-06-2006, 05:17 PM
But they DID draft Bush, and he IS the kind of player that can win a game or two by himelf. He'll have a bigger impact then Williams will THIS year.

On top of that, they are a bit more talented then the Texans. They have a better DE duo (as of now), they have a better OL, McAllister and Bush are far superior to your back field, etc...
If there was one team that couldn't afford to take Bush it was the Saints. Like the Texans, the Saints' defense sucked in '05. The Texans went out and picked up Mario Williams, Anthony Weaver, and DeMeco Ryans. The Saints picked up zilch, and lost two of their better players in Darren Howard & Dwight Smith.

How can you possibly know if the Saints have a better offensive line than the Texans do? Not one position on the Saints offensive line this season will be manned by the same player that played the position in '05. And they weren't that great last year. Jamaal Brown isn't a rookie, but like the Texans' Charles Spencer, he hasn't played played a regular season down at LT. I'll take Chester Pitts any day over the Saints' LG Jamar Nesbit. Certainly Mike Flanagan over Jeff Faine at center. Rookie Jahri Evans might become a good RG, but I'll take our chances with Fred Weary & Steve McKinney. And while Zach Wiegert has been injury prone missing 8 games over the past 3 seasons, Jon Stinchcomb has played in only 10 games over the same period. No, I think I'll keep our O-line, thank you very much.

Finally, no player wins NFL games by himself. Neither of us know if Reggie or Mario will make a bigger impact. But, I do know that the Texans will use Williams as an every down player. Bush isn't an every down player for the Saints. I wouldn't discount that in terms of impact.