PDA

View Full Version : Owen Daniels to start on Sunday?

TheTim5125
09-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Owen Daniels Sep 5 9:52p

Houston Texans TE Owen Daniels will start at tight end Week 1. The team might use two-tight end sets with Daniels lining up with either TE Mark Bruener or TE Jeb Putzier.

this according to RTsports.com news wire

GP
09-05-2006, 10:01 PM
Yeah, if you can play...you START.

A concept Dom Capers never "executed."

He had the team on a high school varsity and junior varsity format: Only seniors dress out.

AtheGreat
09-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Owen Daniels Sep 5 9:52p

Houston Texans TE Owen Daniels will start at tight end Week 1. The team might use two-tight end sets with Daniels lining up with either TE Mark Bruener or TE Jeb Putzier.

can't wait to see what the kid can do in the big times! i expect to see Carr look his way more than a few times on those roll outs. Should be exciting!:redtowel:

blockhead83
09-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Isn't it nice to have a coach with the balls to start who he thinks is the best player? Kubiak obviously values his assistant's opinions.....and then makes up his own mind on things pertaining to this football team. Owen Daniels has looked impressive catching the ball, but I haven't paid much attention to his blocking; that'll be my focal point for him Sunday. Also, I'd expect to see Putzier and Bruener get their fair share of time this weekend, even though Daniels has been dubbed the starter.

RiotCommander
09-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Well I had to have a talk with coach about it. I could hardly have my player riding the pine. :wild:

tburdette
09-05-2006, 10:56 PM
I really want to what Joppru can do.

powerfuldragon
09-05-2006, 10:59 PM
yeah, go bennie.

Grid
09-06-2006, 12:15 AM
Go Daniels :D.. I needs me a TE jersey.

Owens earned the spot this preseason. If he can continue to do what he has been doing.. hes gonna be huge for us.

TexanSam
09-06-2006, 12:48 AM

Owens earned the spot this preseason. If he can continue to do what he has been doing.. hes gonna be huge for us.

It's nice having an offense that actually incorporates the tight end! Its nice having good, quality tight ends also. And to think, some people here wanted to keep Marcellus Rivers.

nunusguy
09-06-2006, 07:52 AM
Not bad for a guy who was for much of his college career (including his
senior year), "not" a starter.
Apparently this version of the WCO that Kubiak is running is the ideal sytem
for a TE like Daniels toexcel in. Something about his size (not real big but with
enough strength and technique to be a decent blocker), yet very good hands
and athleticism which enables him to run the routes and catch anything thrown his way.
Also, if anybody else noticed that Lundy fumble he recovered in the Denver
preseason game had to be impressed with his hustle. Looks like Kubiak was.

mancunian
09-06-2006, 09:50 AM
I reckon we'll see all 4 TE's in action this week. Bennie could operate as some form of H back - a bit like Chris Cooley of the Redskins.

Cjeremy635
09-06-2006, 09:57 AM
I'm glad to see Danilels getting the nod. I think he's been a clutch player this preseason and I think he definately deserves a shot at the regular season. That being said, I'm extremely happy to see B.J. make it through the preseaosn unscathed and on the team (we owe him that much IMHO). I hope he gets up to his potential this year as well and finally gets to showcase the talent we thought he had coming out of college a few years back.

kingh99
09-06-2006, 10:10 AM
too many tight ends. Putzier caught one pass and rumbled. Why isn't he starting? Seems like he's the complete package. Joppru? Went from none to too many. too funny.

Texans Horror
09-06-2006, 10:16 AM
I'm all for Daniels starting at TE, but it didn't seem to me that he got that much time in during the pre-season. I thought the starting spot would go to Breuner or Putzier.

A lot of attention was paid to the running backs, and I watch the trenches more than anything else, so I have only a peripheral assessment of the TEs. Does anyone else have a better vantage, or am I the only one a little surprised to see Daniels crack the opening line-up?

infantrycak
09-06-2006, 10:38 AM
I'm all for Daniels starting at TE, but it didn't seem to me that he got that much time in during the pre-season.

Daniels saw a fair amount of action--he had 4 receptions in the 1st game alone.

Totals
Daniels 7 for 82
Joppru 4 for 32
Putzier 2 for 26
Bruener 1 for 18

phan1
09-06-2006, 10:56 AM
I don't want to be a hater but I don't really see why Bruner is still on the roster. Kubaik sure likes him a lot for some reason though. I'm not sure how much he's costing us but after getting rid of Armstrong, this guy's about a 1-trick pony as there is. I know his catching skills are underrated, but with Daniels, Putzier, and BJ, I wonder why we should keep him. Should've let him go and keep Smith or Wand here instead.

El Tejano
09-06-2006, 11:11 AM
, or am I the only one a little surprised to see Daniels crack the opening line-up?
I am not. As stated before he had quite a few receptions and it seems like those came mostly on 3rd down where he found a whole in the zones.

But the real reason I am seeing him as the starter is because Kubiak has mentioned time and again that he really sees Daniels as a down in and down out TE. I think we will still see a good chunk of Putzier with the two TE formations.

FILO_girl
09-06-2006, 11:49 AM

Agreed. Think we got may have got ourselves a keeper. :cool:

Divebomb
09-06-2006, 12:18 PM
OD is a STUD!!! I like the fact that the guy came in as a 4th rounder hoping to make the team to a NFL Starter. I think he is getting the start because of his game against Denver. He blocked very well against some very good DE and we all know what he can do with the receiving side of the game.

Runner
09-06-2006, 12:24 PM
Note that many weren't happy we didn't draft a DB at #4; we got a starting TE instead. If he lives up to expectations it'll end up being a very strong pick.

Add that to picking Ryans over Winston in the 2nd and it appears our coaches did more homework than the board. If our rookies continue to play well in live games we had an excellent draft. The coaches are to be commended.

Brandon420tx
09-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Owen Daniels, Wali Lundy, Charles Spencer , take your pick for OROY

:poker: