PDA

View Full Version : Texans vs. Eagles Matchups

Pages : 1 [2]

infantrycak
09-05-2006, 11:13 PM
Let's look at two of those "no name late rounders" who actually left the Broncos to play in another system...Clinton Portis (2 seasons with the 'skins 2831 yards and 16 rushing TDs) and Reuben Droughns (1 season with Cleveland 1232 yards and 2 TDs). Both players put up comparable numbers while in Denver. It MUST all be the scheme. They are just plain good runners!

Nice of you to leave out the ypc.

Portis in Denver 5.5 ypc, 29 TD's, 24 runs of 20+
Portis in Skinsville 4.1 ypc, 16 TD's, 11 runs of 20+

Droughns in Denver 4.5 ypc, 6 TD's, 8 runs of 20+
Droughns in Dawgland 4.0 ypc, 2 TD's, 6 runs of 20+

Yeah, scheme has nothing to do with it--:ok:

Gotta love it when people provide examples which disprove their point.

+Denver actually has an assemblance of an O-line with former pro-bowlers.

Denver actually has an OL with 1 1st day pick on it. Good scouting and coaching got them to the pro-bowl.

infantrycak
09-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Ummm, thats not a plus. If they hadn't been in a zone bblocking system, at least you could argue there was potential. Since they have been, and have been so bad, and are starting a rookie LT, the OL will still stink this year.

Your OL has been the worst in football, and will continue to be so.

Let me type small words for you. I was fixing something not listing it as a good thing. If you had bothered to ldo more than look at sack stats (a pass protection issue) when discussing run blocking however you would have seen the Texans run blocking has been far better than the pass blocking. Having Kubiak and Sherman come fully implement the system should and appears to have elevated the system to where it should be. As I referenced, Pendry refused to implement back side cut blocks which is a key part of the system as an example. Your continuing comment is nothing more than optimism on your part.

E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles
09-05-2006, 11:23 PM
Nice of you to leave out the ypc.

Portis in Denver 5.5 ypc, 29 TD's, 24 runs of 20+
Portis in Skinsville 4.1 ypc, 16 TD's, 11 runs of 20+

Droughns in Denver 4.5 ypc, 6 TD's, 8 runs of 20+
Droughns in Dawgland 4.0 ypc, 2 TD's, 6 runs of 20+

Yeah, scheme has nothing to do with it--:ok:

Gotta love it when people provide examples which disprove their point.

Denver actually has an OL with 1 1st day pick on it. Good scouting and coaching got them to the pro-bowl.

Still getting over 4 yards per carry and getting over 1000 yards...also the o-line doesnt have anything to do with 20+ yard runs...the O-line blocks up front...if you think they can get up field faster than the RB to even up to 10 yards then you are sadly mistaken...20+ yard runs are the RB making the secondary miss.

I took out my insult on your correcting my spelling of assemblance because it looks like you realized the error in your ways of calling me out when I was right.

infantrycak
09-05-2006, 11:27 PM
also the o-line doesnt have anything to do with 20+ yard runs...the O-line blocks up front...if you think they can get up field faster than the RB to even up to 10 yards then you are sadly mistaken...20+ yard runs are the RB making the secondary miss.

You are the person sadly mistaken and obviously have zero understanding of the point of the ZBS where the OL are specifically to disengage and block at the 2nd level. Even a cursory look at Denver, Atlanta or Houston this preseason will show OLmen making blocks 10-15 yds down field. Plus your argument is bogus on its face when Portis is still Portis so if it is all on the RB what happened?--oh yeah, the scheme changed.

E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles
09-05-2006, 11:36 PM
You are the person sadly mistaken and obviously have zero understanding of the point of the ZBS where the OL are specifically to disengage and block at the 2nd level. Even a cursory look at Denver, Atlanta or Houston this preseason will show OLmen making blocks 10-15 yds down field. Plus your argument is bogus on its face when Portis is still Portis so if it is all on the RB what happened?--oh yeah, the scheme changed.

I haven't watched that closely but I find it hard to believe that an OL can get the blocks on the DLine enough to open a hole before disengaging and then as the RB gets through the hole the OL can move 10-15yds down the field to make blocks again. The physics just don't make sense...

Jerome_Brown_99
09-05-2006, 11:36 PM
Let me type small words for you. I was fixing something not listing it as a good thing. If you had bothered to ldo more than look at sack stats (a pass protection issue) when discussing run blocking however you would have seen the Texans run blocking has been far better than the pass blocking. Having Kubiak and Sherman come fully implement the system should and appears to have elevated the system to where it should be. As I referenced, Pendry refused to implement back side cut blocks which is a key part of the system as an example. Your continuing comment is nothing more than optimism on your part.

I could care less about sacks.

Everyone knows your pass blocking simply sucks. Sucks, as in the worst in football.

As far as run blocking, the Texans are mediocre. Not really good, but not as bad as they are at pass blocking.

Trotter, Kearse, Howard, Bunkley, Patterson, Cole, Walker, and Rayburn are going to eat your OL for lunch.

Seriously, if the Texans put up 17 points I'll consider it a bad performance from our defense.

E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles
09-05-2006, 11:40 PM
I could care less about sacks.

Everyone knows your pass blocking simply sucks. Sucks, as in the worst in football.

As far as run blocking, the Texans are mediocre. Not really good, but not as bad as they are at pass blocking.

Trotter, Kearse, Howard, Bunkley, Patterson, Cole, Walker, and Rayburn are going to eat your OL for lunch.

Seriously, if the Texans put up 17 points I'll consider it a bad performance from our defense.

I have Philly's D starting this week against Houston over Tampa Bay's D against Baltimore...that's how confident I am at getting turnovers and sacks.

Jerome_Brown_99
09-05-2006, 11:42 PM

Actually a ZBS is based on OL reads. Depending on the defense being played, the blocking changes.

ZBS work really well against 2 gap systems because the DTs are so immobile. Thus, you can get good angles on them, and have interior lineman release to attack LBs.

1 gap systems (like the Eagles run) usually have an advantage over zone blocking offenses, since the DL doesn't give up much size to the OL, but is in general MUCH more athletic.

The Texans OL is not going to be able to get off their blocks if they want to win - the Eagles DL is simply too athletic with guys like Kearse, Walker, Howard, Cole, Bunkley, and McDougle. They need to hold their blocks, and hope that the lead blocker can beat Trotter (good luck, he is the best run stuffing MLB in the NFL).

TexansBull
09-05-2006, 11:45 PM
Yea I remember when Donny boy had TO and I had him every week starting. Man the numbers they put up. Now I have him on the shelf next to my saltine crackers and some of his soup.

Jerome_Brown_99
09-05-2006, 11:45 PM
I have Philly's D starting this week against Houston over Tampa Bay's D against Baltimore...that's how confident I am at getting turnovers and sacks.

I couldn't agree more.

I'm thinking at LEAST 5 sacks. Carr isn't going to do ish.

It's funny having a 2 win team so confident against the Eagles. If only they knew we were missing more pro-bowlers last year then they have had in their teams history...

LBC_Justin
09-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Oh yes. The vaunted Texans running game.

With Dominick Da.....

Wait.clearly you don't know much about the Texans.

We had the most effective running game in the AFC South last year. Anytime Davis went down a back up went in and put up the EXACT same numbers Davis put up. I firmly believe Davis is a solid player but he is nothing special talentwise. He is the product of the system and our new guys will be the product of an even better system.

TexansBull
09-05-2006, 11:51 PM
I couldn't agree more.

It's funny having a 2 win team so confident against the Eagles. If only they knew we were missing more pro-bowlers last year then they have had in their teams history...

You are the one arguing with us. You had to create the profile. Your team is on the downslide against NY, Dallas, and Washington, and you cant argue with them so you are over here trying to salvage your pride you had a couple of years ago.

Face it. The NFC caught up and you are at...what was it? Oh yeah, the bottom of the barrel.:deadhorse

E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles
09-05-2006, 11:52 PM
I've also heard talk on here that the Texans are a different team in their home opener...you mean an average loss of just over 11 points per home opener! Impressive! Or maybe you just meant a different team altogether at home...a fantastic 10-22 record! Even by recent history, 1 win last season and 3 the season before...sounds like the team really gets motivated by the fans...

E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles
09-05-2006, 11:54 PM
You are the one arguing with us. You had to create the profile. Your team is on the downslide against NY, Dallas, and Washington, and you cant argue with them so you are over here trying to salvage your pride you had a couple of years ago.

Face it. The NFC caught up and you are at...what was it? Oh yeah, the bottom of the barrel.:deadhorse

You'll see when we are back in the playoffs this year after we get 1st or 2nd in the division...Washington is crap (their offense is terrible), Giants are overrated (Eli is not as good as he is made out), and Dallas will run into problems with TO...we now have a healthy team once again (not 11 starters on IR like last year)...and a team without distractions. They have focus and talent similar to if not better than when they went to the consecutive NFC Championships.

Jerome_Brown_99
09-05-2006, 11:55 PM
clearly you don't know much about the Texans.

We had the most effective running game in the AFC South last year. Anytime Davis went down a back up went in and put up the EXACT same numbers Davis put up. I firmly believe Davis is a solid player but he is nothing special talentwise. He is the product of the system and our new guys will be the product of an even better system.

No offense, but playing Tiki Barber and Clinton Portis twice a year EVERY year, plus having to play the big Tuna twice a year makes us rather unconcerned with the Texans running game.

We've seen it all. :yawn:

If the Texans running game was so great, it would have won them more then 2 games.

Take away their best back, and it's even weaker.

jamiethekiller
09-05-2006, 11:55 PM
trotter has this saying " bring it back to me." the eagles want the offensives to stretch it out because, while our LB's might not be great, they are fast enough to make the RB cut it back. exactly to trotter. the BEST run stopping linebacker in the league.

what makes LT so good? he has UNGODLY ability to cut back. how many rushing yards did he have against us last year?

and i'm pretty sure when we faced denver last year almost our entire Dline was injured. hollis had a thigh bruise the size of a football. and i believe rayburn had a bum ankle. and walker had a thigh bruise as well.

lets hope to a good game though! i don't want to have the ability to turn it off and go somewhere else to have some fun.

Jerome_Brown_99
09-05-2006, 11:58 PM

I stomp NFCE trolls like OJ offs ex wives.

As far as the NFCE goes, it will come down to the Birds or the Giants - which ever team stays healthy.

The Cowboys and SKins are weak. No QB, poor line play, and no depth.

BTW - I know it is hard to fathom, being a Texans fan and all - but we actually have all-star players. When they get injured (by they, I mean 6 of them) it tends to hurt your record.

Just because your team sucks every year doesn't mean the Eagles - who have won nearly 70% of their games under Reid - do.

dirty steve
09-06-2006, 12:05 AM
Carl Dukes on the new morning show on ESPN 790, said he predicted that the fans would call for Sage to start instead of Carr by halftime in the Eagles game.

There's where you went wrong. Carl Dukes is a moron that can't get over the fact that the Texans didnt take VY. Feel sorry for the other host Brad Davies, moved all the way down from upstate New York to be drug down by that lead weight Dukes. He should know better than to think that the fans will dictate what the coaching staff does. If it were that way, they wouldnt have drafted Mario and made the less prudent choice in Bush or VY. The fans can call for what they want, Carr is the starter no matter what the fans think.

TexansBull
09-06-2006, 12:05 AM
Yall can finish above the Wash-ups, Maybe NY, but not Dallas. TO can destroy a team...But I really think after seeing that go down twice, and as experencied as Parcells is that stuff will not go down here in Texas. Andy Reid and Donovan were too soft with him. But yall still have Carolina, Atlanta(hype though), Tampa, and others. Ya'lls division is as tough as ours. If ya'll can pull off the playoffs, job well done.

LBC_Justin
09-06-2006, 12:13 AM
Actually, I follow the entire league very closely. I can see outside of my team, unlike most on this board.

Preseason? Preseason? Please stop the preseason argument. Anyone can clearly see that a team that needs upgrading at every (and I mean every) position would naturally take the best available player. No, not the Texans.

One thing that fails to get noticed about Kubiak's system is that you have to have talent across the offensive line for it to work. It may be true that you can plug any RB in there and get 1,000 yards, but if you've got crap up front, it doesn't work.

It's going to take a lot more than a 2nd rate rookie DE to stop the Colts. Start with prayer and poisoning their pre-game meal.
Dude, Did you really say "The Cowboys are a product of ESPN" and then have the nerve to take a jab at us for not taking Reggie Bush. Bush is the poster child for what ESPN can create. Thank the lord our coaches and staff can see past the hype.

LOL
You Eagle fans are funny. Dillusional but funny.

MorKnolle
09-06-2006, 12:24 AM
Eagles offense vs. Texans defense
Eagles Running Game
The Eagles haven't had a strong running game in a while (28th in the league in rushing yards last year, 19th in yards per rush), and while they've said they are committed to focusing more on the running game this year, but I'm not sure I see it. Their offensive line is huge and built more for a power running game, while their RBs are quite clearly meant more for a speed-type of running game and heavy involvement in the passing game. Brian Westbrook is a nice dual-threat RB, but he's never been much of a workhorse back at all (career high of 177 carries in a season and has only averaged 559 rushing yards per season throughout his career) and has relied heavily on the passing game for his success. It remains to be seen whether he can efficiently handle a heavier workload on the carries, or if his production will not increase much with those extra carries (see Tatum Bell who averaged something like 6.2 yards per carry on his first 10 carries of each game and only 2.something yards per carry on all additional carries). Correll Buckhalter is finally back after missing the last two seasons due to injuries and looks to provide a more powerful change of pace back and he looked fairly solid in the preseason, but it's yet to be seen how he does against real defenses during the regular season and how much punishment he can withstand. Ryan Moats is another decent speed back, but hasn't had a ton of production in his one season in the league. After all the promises to rejuvenate the rushing game, the Eagles still ranked 28th in the league in rushing yards and fell to 28th in yards per rush during this regular season. Meanwhile, the Texans run defense is probably going to be the strongest area of our team this year. We have a big and athletic front four (average weight of about 295 lbs. between our four starters) that has been very effective at disrupting opposing running games so far, and our LBs have been fairly solid finishing off plays, especially DeMeco Ryans at MLB. Our DBs are also fairly physical and all four current starters are not liabilities in against the run. During the preseason, our defense ranked 10th in rushing yards allowed (92.5) and 13th in yards allowed per rush (3.5) (drastic improvement over 32nd and 30th respectively during last season in the 3-4 cover 2 scheme that Fangio was running).

While Donovan McNabb's mobility will also contribute some to their rushing game, I don't see the Eagles getting more than 60 rushing yards on us barring a fluke long play, and I don't see them averaging much above 3.0 yards per carry. I think this is one area of the game we will beat the Eagles at.

Eagles Passing Game
The Eagles offense is definitely geared towards passing the ball, and with the loss of Terrell Owens there are some doubts as to who will be the main target. The Eagles last year ranked 8th in the league in passing yards while ranking 3rd in passing attempts and only ranking 27th in completion percentage, so they haven't been running an especially efficient passing attack, they frequently look for the big plays rather than making the safe play, which is one big reason why they were 30th in the league in 3rd down efficiency, 26th in time of possession, and 26th in fewest turnovers last regular season, and 22nd in sacks allowed. With Donovan McNabb back at the helm and presumably healthy, they can get away with that a little better than they did during the latter half of last season, but they are still a risk-taking offense, so there will be opportunities for our defense to make big plays and help turn the game in our favor. McNabb's targets will include Reggie Brown who is coming off a pretty strong rookie season, Hank Baskett who is a big target and has looked pretty good in the preseason, and the speedy duo of Donte Stallworth and Greg Lewis. Lewis has had limited but increasing productivity and Stallworth was finally coming around last year in New Orleans, but apparently there are some questions about his game. McNabb also has a nice TE in L.J. Smith, and he can definitely throw a good ball. Their receiving core can give us some matchup problems, as they have some speedy and big tandems, our DL's ability to apply pressure on McNabb and make him try to force some plays will be a big component to our success or lack thereof, and we will need a big game out of our DBs and LBs to prevent them from making big plays. I think we can keep them into nickle and diming the ball downfield, and I think if we can force them to do that, especially if we get good pressure on McNabb in the process, that he will start getting a little impatient and look to force more plays. Our defense has been pretty solid against the pass in the regular season (10th in yards allowed, 16th in completion percentage, 13th in sacks) and is 6th in 3rd down conversions. Although we need our CBs to play tighter on their guys and we need to continue to put better pressure on the QBs, we have prevented big plays (with the exception of the end of the KC game) and have been pretty solid when it matters most. Meanwhile, the Eagles passing offense has dropped to 11th in the league in yards, 26th in completion percentage, 30th in interceptions thrown, 25th in sacks allowed, and still only 24th in 3rd down conversions during this preseason. We probably haven't seen a passing game like this yet this year (the Rams and probably Broncos had much more talented WR groups, but they didn't look to pass as much). I think this will be the key to us winning this game, I have no doubts we can limit their running game, but can we continue to limit 3rd downs, prevent giving up big plays, and create a few big plays of our own?

It'll be very interesting to see how we can do against their passing game, and it will likely be the telling story in whether we win or lose. At this point I can see it going either way.

Eagles defense vs. Texans offense
Texans Running Game
The Texans had a relatively strong running game last year and, despite losing Domanick Davis for the year, the addition of Kubiak's system will only lead to better things for the Texans running game. The Texans have two pretty unproven players in Vernand Morency and Wali Lundy guiding to rushing attack with Ron Dayne as a third option, and the rushing attack has looked potent in this preseason. In the preseason, our offense ranked 6th in rushing yards and 3rd in yards per carry. The Eagles run defense was fairly solid but nothing special last year (21st in yards allowed although 10th in yards per rush, which no doubt helped them achieve their 5th place ranking in 3rd down conversions). They have added a few new players on defense, but overall it is pretty much the same, and in the preseason they ranked 19th in rushing yards allowed, 16th in yards per carry, and 21st in 3rd down conversions. They have a fairly strong LB core behind a DLine that is certainly one of the 3 best in the NFL, and although their DLine is built much more for speed and pass rushing than strength and run stopping (average weight of right around 280 lbs), those speedier lines can cause more trouble for zone blocking schemes because their more athletic DLinemen can get in the running gaps and disrupt plays better than bigger, slower lines.

If we can continue on the success that we had in the preseason, we should be able to move the ball well on the ground and keep our offense from getting into too many situations where they have to pass the ball, which will limit the Eagles explosive DLine from getting opportunities to tee off on Carr. I think we should be able to run the ball pretty effectively against the Eagles, I'm looking for 120+ yards on 4.5 yards per carry and we should be looking nice.

Texans Passing Game
The Texans passing game was horrible last year, but with the new system comes a new beginning in that phase of our offense too. In the preseason we still only ranked 18th in passing yards, but we were 5th in completion percentage, gave up the 3rd fewest sacks, and only threw one interception, so we were running a much more efficient offense. They have a couple good CBs in Brown and Sheppard and have a nice pair of safeties in Dawkins and Lewis, but we do have two big, very good targets in Johnson and Moulds, so we should be able to get the ball to the two of them if we get our offense running effectively. The Eagles defense 3rd in passing yards allowed, 10th in completion percentage, 1st in sacks, and 4th in interceptions during this preseason after finishing 21st in yards allowed, 16th in completion percentage, 26th in sacks, and 10th in interceptions last year. They also definitely look for the big plays on defense, sometimes at the expense of giving up some big plays (26th in NFL in yards allowed per completion last year), so there will be some opprtunities for big plays, especially if they start running some aggressive blitzes and schemes, and it will help out a lot if we can use play action and move the pocket around to help avoid some of this pressure and keep Carr a little more in his comfort zone.

We got off to a few slow starts, but I think if we can establish the running game a little better early on in the game and then use more play actions and roll outs to get Carr in a better rhythm and get him out of the pocket early then that will get us off to a much better start. Carr still is noticably jittery in the pocket, and the Eagles DLine can definitely provide a lot of pressure if we put ourselves in situations where we have to throw the ball, but I think their aggressive defense can be used against them in play actions. A big key to our passing game will be the effectiveness of our running game early and our ability to get Carr out on the move to relieve pressure and find open players downfield. This is also a little hard to predict at this point in time and could end up being pretty crucial in our ability to sustain drives, keep our defense off the field, maybe come up with a couple big plays, and put up some points.

There, that's my :twocents: on the matchups this weekend, I will refrain from joining the pretty pointless argument between our fans and the Eagles fans on here as neither side has any chance of convincing the other side until Sunday afternoon rolls around, not to mention the apparent lack of knowledge and intelligence coming from one of the fronts in the argument anyways, but I guess that's to be expected with the lack of respect we get from the national media.

LBC_Justin
09-06-2006, 12:33 AM
No offense, but playing Tiki Barber and Clinton Portis twice a year EVERY year, plus having to play the big Tuna twice a year makes us rather unconcerned with the Texans running game.

We've seen it all. :yawn:

If the Texans running game was so great, it would have won them more then 2 games.

Take away their best back, and it's even weaker.
Tiki Barber and Clinton Portis don't impress me that much. Well, not enough to say "oh man the Eagles play against such great players. How do the Texans possibly have a chance against them."

BTW, Until last year the Cowboys were garbage for the last several years.

Try having to face the freaking Colts offense twice a year. Let me remind you how YOUR team did the last time they faced Peyton and Edgerin James. During the 2002 season they were the only team to SPANK your team (35-13 ouch).

Just remember your team is in the NFC. A conference that has lost 5 of the last 6 superbowls.

jamiethekiller
09-06-2006, 12:35 AM
while i applaud your very long and well written matchup scenario's, you're basing them on bad facts. i don't mind preseason facts, but as long as you use 1st preseason facts.

eagles first team defense only gave up 3 points on defense. and the eagles offense scored on every single first possession. all this while not having their best player on the field in westbrook for just about all of preseason and the addition of stallworth.

do you shade a guy over to stallworth for his speed alone? or do you let him go man on man. what about reggie? he proved himself last year that he's ready for a break out year. runs precise routes and can move in and out of traffic easily and knows how to get open. then what about westbrook? do you put a CB in there on him or keep a LB in? what if they line him and buck up in the backfield together and then split westbrook out? you're leaving yourself weak for a run up the middle with probably the biggest front 3 on the Oline as their is in the NFL. then you have to account for LJ. big target in the middle of the field that can't be pushed around that easy.

and the fact that mcnabb regularly hits 7+ recievers each game. so each player HAS to be accounted for.

i can't comment on the texans because id ont' follow them. i just know that they've struggled every single year in the NFL.

run-david-run
09-06-2006, 12:45 AM
Yes because the Texans' scouting system is much better!

Seeing they chose the best player available in the draft in Reggie Bu....

What was that?
Reggie Bush is basically a faster version of Brian Westbrook with better jukes, but a far less physical running style (he's a pansy when it comes to contact. Is that woth $60M to you?

MorKnolle
09-06-2006, 01:01 AM
ok, I have to throw this out here real quick after saying I wouldn't, our team is totally new this year with a totally new running attack. Our running game last year was pretty good (ranked much better than yours BTW) and our run blocking has never been the problem, and with our new personnel on our line, better coaching, better scheme, and better attitude it will be much better. I've seen numerous times for us to not look at the Eagles lack of success last year as an indication of how their team is yet I've seen in every argument against our team a reference to last year's debacle. Well, your team is pretty much the same as last year whereas our's is a complete changeover in every facet of the game, so if there's a team that should expect dramatic improvement it is us. For the record Brian Westbrook had a grand total of one game last year over 90 rushing yards. While your defense did have some pretty good games against the run last year, in your week 8 game @ Denver (same Gary Kubiak running the same offense), you guys surrendered 255 yards on 36 carries (7.1 yards per carry), and allowed both Mike Anderson (126) and Tatum Bell (107) to pass the century mark, so apparently facing Barber and Portis twice a year and shutting down LaDanian Tomlinson the week before (7 yards on 17 carries which was a pretty impressive performance by your defense) didn't mean much against the Denver offense that we now run. In the course of that game, Denver controlled the ball for 37:00 of game play and won 49-21, so anything can happen on Sundays.

MorKnolle
09-06-2006, 01:04 AM
while i applaud your very long and well written matchup scenario's, you're basing them on bad facts. i don't mind preseason facts, but as long as you use 1st preseason facts.

eagles first team defense only gave up 3 points on defense. and the eagles offense scored on every single first possession. all this while not having their best player on the field in westbrook for just about all of preseason and the addition of stallworth.

do you shade a guy over to stallworth for his speed alone? or do you let him go man on man. what about reggie? he proved himself last year that he's ready for a break out year. runs precise routes and can move in and out of traffic easily and knows how to get open. then what about westbrook? do you put a CB in there on him or keep a LB in? what if they line him and buck up in the backfield together and then split westbrook out? you're leaving yourself weak for a run up the middle with probably the biggest front 3 on the Oline as their is in the NFL. then you have to account for LJ. big target in the middle of the field that can't be pushed around that easy.

and the fact that mcnabb regularly hits 7+ recievers each game. so each player HAS to be accounted for.

i can't comment on the texans because id ont' follow them. i just know that they've struggled every single year in the NFL.

I hate using preseason stats but that's all we have to go on right now on our current team, and it was meant more as an indication of how much we've improved over last year while your team hasn't changed much. Besides, the stats part of it was merely included for those people on here that like to see some kind of numbers to back up your arguments, the meat of my points were based much more on actually watching the teams rather than reading numbers off a computer screen and making generalizations from there. If you want an indication of what we'll be like look at Denver over the last decade. We aren't as talented yet, but it's the same coaching style and attitude, the same offensive scheme (#1 in total yards, rushing yards, points, and coincidentally wins over the last 11 years) and a similar defensive scheme. You guys had plenty of trouble with them last year. I am not an expert on the Eagles and could never claim to be one, although I have seen a decent amount of them. All I'm saying is if you're looking at past performance on us then you're looking in the entire wrong place and have no idea what we're going to be like this year going forward. Either way, it's pretty pointless to debate this at all as I've said in my previous post, so we'll have to see how the teams do on Sunday. I must admit I don't like facing your offense now as much as I did a week ago before Stallworth arrived (great deal on your part, even though he is a bit of a headcase you get a starting quality WR for a backup LB, not to mention I'm a little jealous of you guys getting Bunkley too, he should end up being a beast in the coming years. Mario is still the man, I just wish there was a way we could have gotten both of them, that would have made for an even nastier DLine). I think our defenses are fairly similar, you guys still have more talent in your secondary (I think Dunta Robinson is better than either of your CBs, but you have two good CBs and better FS & SS. I think our two teams have two of the top 5 DLines in the league, both are very athletic although yours is a little more explosive than ours in our current alignment and should provide a better pass rush while ours is bigger and stronger and should be better against the run. I'm eager to see how our team measures up against real competition in a game that matters, but I have been very pleased so far (not just in stats on a computer screen, but the whole way the team has been run after getting to see several practices during training camp and getting to see the games). Anyways, I'm tired and do not wish to contribute any more to this rather silly repartee going on so I'm out.

run-david-run
09-06-2006, 01:07 AM
I've also heard talk on here that the Texans are a different team in their home opener...you mean an average loss of just over 11 points per home opener! Impressive! Or maybe you just meant a different team altogether at home...a fantastic 10-22 record! Even by recent history, 1 win last season and 3 the season before...sounds like the team really gets motivated by the fans...
Well, no matter what happens on Sunday, at least you know your post was coherrant...oh, wait..

run-david-run
09-06-2006, 01:10 AM
I stomp NFCE trolls like OJ offs ex wives.

As far as the NFCE goes, it will come down to the Birds or the Giants - which ever team stays healthy.

The Cowboys and SKins are weak. No QB, poor line play, and no depth.

BTW - I know it is hard to fathom, being a Texans fan and all - but we actually have all-star players. When they get injured (by they, I mean 6 of them) it tends to hurt your record.

Just because your team sucks every year doesn't mean the Eagles - who have won nearly 70% of their games under Reid - do.
yeah, like loosing Pro-Bowl receiv...oh, dont have many of those, do ya?

run-david-run
09-06-2006, 01:14 AM
Quick note on the point that "our talent on the offensive line does not match Denver's..blah blah blah". Denver has one started from their offensive line selected in the first round. Everyone else is an undrafted free agent or a low draft pick. Its not about talent, its about the system and finding players that fit that system.
Who knew those months of arguing about D'Brick, Reggie, VY and Mario would acctually help with anything? Go figre...

mattwill
09-06-2006, 02:23 AM
Eagles offense vs. Texans defense
Eagles Running Game
Their offensive line is huge and built more for a power running game, while their RBs are quite clearly meant more for a speed-type of running game and heavy involvement in the passing game. After all the promises to rejuvenate the rushing game, the Eagles still ranked 28th in the league in rushing yards and fell to 28th in yards per rush during this regular season.

While Donovan McNabb's mobility will also contribute some to their rushing game, I don't see the Eagles getting more than 60 rushing yards on us barring a fluke long play, and I don't see them averaging much above 3.0 yards per carry. I think this is one area of the game we will beat the Eagles at.

Eagles Passing Game
With Donovan McNabb back at the helm and presumably healthy, they can get away with that a little better than they did during the latter half of last season, but they are still a risk-taking offense, so there will be opportunities for our defense to make big plays and help turn the game in our favor.

Their receiving core can give us some matchup problems, as they have some speedy and big tandems, our DL's ability to apply pressure on McNabb and make him try to force some plays will be a big component to our success or lack thereof, and we will need a big game out of our DBs and LBs to prevent them from making big plays.

Meanwhile, the Eagles passing offense has dropped to 11th in the league in yards, 26th in completion percentage, 30th in interceptions thrown, 25th in sacks allowed, and still only 24th in 3rd down conversions during this preseason.

Eagles defense vs. Texans offense
Texans Running Game
They have added a few new players on defense, but overall it is pretty much the same, and in the preseason they ranked 19th in rushing yards allowed, 16th in yards per carry, and 21st in 3rd down conversions.

They have a fairly strong LB core behind a DLine that is certainly one of the 3 best in the NFL, and although their DLine is built much more for speed and pass rushing than strength and run stopping (average weight of right around 280 lbs), those speedier lines can cause more trouble for zone blocking schemes because their more athletic DLinemen can get in the running gaps and disrupt plays better than bigger, slower lines.

Texans Passing Game
The Eagles defense 3rd in passing yards allowed, 10th in completion percentage, 1st in sacks, and 4th in interceptions during this preseason after finishing 21st in yards allowed, 16th in completion percentage, 26th in sacks, and 10th in interceptions last year.
Good write up MoreKnolle, in the spirit of friendly rivalry let me supplement what you've posted. Rather than repeat your whole post I included the sections that generated my comments.

Your assessment of the questionable match of the Eagles power blocking O-line and the quick backs is a good one. However, the Giants with Tiki Barber have shown that a small back who follows his blocks can explode through the holes and use quickness and speed to turn power runs into long gains when and if they break into the open. Time will tell if the Eagles' RBs have the discipline to wait on the blocks the way Emmitt used to do so effectively. They are talking the talk, but now they need to walk the walk. If they do, your prediction of 60 yards will prove to be very low. If not, you will probably be right on.

When you looked at the Eagles preseason passing game, you fell into a trap. Specifically the Eagles' starters never played as much as two Quarters of any game. If you go back to the Gamebook stats for the starters you will see that all the bad numbers you are reporting were the result of the play of the Eagles backups. The Eagles' starters scored points on every drive of every preseason game. McNabb's one turnover (interception) was overturned by the refs. In addition when you refer to the Eagles as a risk taking offense, remember that McNabb threw for over 30 TDs two years ago with less than 10 interceptions. No one in the history of the NFL has produced such a low risk / high reward performance. However, that was then and this is now. We'll see how well he plays with this new set of receivers.

When you say, "They have added a few new players on defense, but overall it is pretty much the same, and in the preseason they ranked 19th in rushing yards allowed, 16th in yards per carry, and 21st in 3rd down conversions.", you are again falling into a classic preseson game trap. The Eagles' starters gave up a total of 3 points in 4 games. The scrubs were the culprits that caused the poor overall stats you cite. BTW, those "few new players on defense" are Darren Howard, who has looked to be in his past Pro Bowl form in the preseason games and Broderick Bunkley the best DT in the Draft. In addition the Birds have gotten several Pro Bowl players back from injury, and overall the D looks like it has regained its pre 2005 form. Time will tell, but based on their performance in the preseason, the D-line will indeed give the Texans the kind of trouble that you describe.

With all that said, the game still has to be played on the field ... and anything can happen.

mattwill
09-06-2006, 02:28 AM
yeah, like losing Pro-Bowl receiv...oh, dont have many of those, do ya?
Your point is well taken, but given the fact that the Eagles' version of the WCO spreads the ball around much more than other offenses, the WRs are not as crucial to the O's success. For all the high profile attention the Eagles got when TO was there, the stats produced by the pre-TO Eagles Offense were virtually identical to the stats of the 2004 TO Offense.

mattwill
09-06-2006, 02:36 AM
I think our defenses are fairly similar, you guys still have more talent in your secondary (I think Dunta Robinson is better than either of your CBs, but you have two good CBs and better FS & SS. I think our two teams have two of the top 5 DLines in the league, both are very athletic although yours is a little more explosive than ours in our current alignment and should provide a better pass rush while ours is bigger and stronger and should be better against the run. I'm eager to see how our team measures up against real competition in a game that matters, but I have been very pleased so far (not just in stats on a computer screen, but the whole way the team has been run after getting to see several practices during training camp and getting to see the games). Anyways, I'm tired and do not wish to contribute any more to this rather silly repartee going on so I'm out.
Excellent summary. I tend to agree with you that Dunta is a shade better than Sheppard or Brown, especially after their respective 2005 performances, but the number of Offensive receiving weapons McNabb has at his disposal is really quite frightening. Dunta can only cover one of those weapons. The others are going to cause the rest of the Texans' DBs and LBs a lot of matchup problems ... especially Westbrook and LJ Smith.

You are right that Stallworth was a great addition. He will be especially valuable in stretching the field with his speed, which will open up the underneath routes for Westbrook and Smith and Brown.

FlyEaglesFly
09-06-2006, 07:09 AM
That Eagles team is NOT hungry. I stopped reading right there. That alone told me you have no idea what you're talking about.

thunderkyss
09-06-2006, 07:09 AM
Yes, because Philly gave up 68 sacks a year ago, and McNabb has been sacked more than any other QB in the league since coming in.

Oh wait.

Read the whole post.... McNabb's mobility helped your OL's stats..... if you had bledsoe back there, he'd have given our QB a run for his money.

WorthlessBum
09-06-2006, 07:16 AM
Regarding Baldingers objectivity, I actually can see your point but for every baldinger out there as a journalist there are 2 Eagle Haters, I take the good with the bad, very few are uninfluenced by something. Baldinger a former Eagle himself covers the eagles at times whereas he is probably not as exposed to the Texans but he is not an Eagle Homer, he will pick against the Eagles quite often. I concede in part to your point on this because as an eagle fan we constantly feel the unfairness of the media, ala guys like Merril Hoge. This is conjecture on both of our parts to assume that Baldinger has not studied the Texans enough though.

hoge is no different to a guy like baldinger imo. hoge has pulled some doozies out of his rear end in the past and its guys like him and baldy that are impossible to listen to.....give us some substance with your colorful language and bold statements -- at times it appears as some of these guys are in a competition to see who can say the most colorful and biting things, whether or not they are based on any facts or objectivity. its insulting to those of us who watch and study the game and look for real insight and intelligent discussion. also, my point on baldy wasnt that i assumed he hadnt studied the texans -- it was that he offered zero insight as to why he said the things he did.

W. Bum

Jerome_Brown_99
09-06-2006, 07:41 AM
Yall can finish above the Wash-ups, Maybe NY, but not Dallas. TO can destroy a team...But I really think after seeing that go down twice, and as experencied as Parcells is that stuff will not go down here in Texas. Andy Reid and Donovan were too soft with him. But yall still have Carolina, Atlanta(hype though), Tampa, and others. Ya'lls division is as tough as ours. If ya'll can pull off the playoffs, job well done.

Dallas really doesn't scare me.

Look back at the Eagles history under our C Jim Johnson, and you will see that pro-bowl WRs hardly ever hurt us. That includes TO when he was in San Fran, and Moss while he was with both the Raiders and Vikings.

Then you look at their (lack of) talent on the OL, and I don't see any way they can give Bledse time to throw the ball.

And that's all assuming Owens is playing nice, which he won't.

I'm telling you, the only NFCE team that will challenge the Eagles are the Giants. They have a legit chance at being good and making a super bowl run.

Jerome_Brown_99
09-06-2006, 07:48 AM
Tiki Barber and Clinton Portis don't impress me that much. Well, not enough to say "oh man the Eagles play against such great players. How do the Texans possibly have a chance against them."

BTW, Until last year the Cowboys were garbage for the last several years.

Try having to face the freaking Colts offense twice a year. Let me remind you how YOUR team did the last time they faced Peyton and Edgerin James. During the 2002 season they were the only team to SPANK your team (35-13 ouch).

Just remember your team is in the NFC. A conference that has lost 5 of the last 6 superbowls.

Tiki and Portis don't impress you? How about Tomlinson? DOes he impress you?

He didn't impress me the last time the Eagles played the Chargers. He had less then 10 rushing yards against us.

Again, we've seen it all. We've held the NFLs best running back to single digit rushing yards. We've held pro-bowl backs with pro-bowl laden OLs in check like Tiki and Portis.

Please excuse me if Ron Dane doesn't make me tremble. :yawn:

Jerome_Brown_99
09-06-2006, 07:54 AM
yeah, like loosing Pro-Bowl receiv...oh, dont have many of those, do ya?

In this offense, a RB and TE are just as important as recievers as wideouts.

Thus, Westbrook and LJ. LJ lead the NFL for receptions by a TE untill McNabb went down last year.

Westbrook is clearly the best recieving back in the NFL.

Throw in the best rookie WR from last year and Dante' Stallworth, and I'm not worried about having pro-bowl WRs.

We DO however, have pro-bowlers at the positions that matter:

QB
LT
OG
RB
DE
MLB
SS
FS
CB
K

thunderkyss
09-06-2006, 08:05 AM
See what I'm talking about folks? This is the kind of talk that makes you guys the punchline in the NFL. You can have a modern blocking scheme, or a futuristic blocking scheme. You still need the talent, which you don't have.

And see, this is what makes the rest of the football world question if you know what you are talking about.

We've got a professional scouting department, just like the Eagles(who for some reason have a hard time identifying WRs, RBs, & LBs)..... who were used to find the players that are on our roster.

We've had DanReeves (a successful football coach who has uncovered quite a bit of talent in his day) come in, and go over our roster..... his final report said talent was not our problem.

Gary Kubiak, & Mike Sherman, two of the most respected offensive gurus of the last decade spent all summer going over our roster, making changes they felt were needed. Only two of the five OLmen starting in '06 weren't Texans in '05. & we were running a version of the zoneBlocking system last year with decent results.

thunderkyss
09-06-2006, 08:17 AM
Ummm, thats not a plus. If they hadn't been in a zone bblocking system, at least you could argue there was potential. Since they have been, and have been so bad, and are starting a rookie LT, the OL will still stink this year.

Your OL has been the worst in football, and will continue to be so.

umm........ we were ranked 15th in rushing offense in '05, with no passing game.

Wait until we get the ZBS perfected, we'll be in the top 10. & when we get our passing game, we'll be top 5....... bank on it.

GP
09-06-2006, 08:23 AM
Eagles fan is too proud for a team that hasn't won the Super Bowl since when? Oh that's right...you have never won a Super Bowl.

Man, we might not be ripping it up ourselves...but we've been in existence for only four or five years. What's your excuse?

Go grab yourselves a trophy, and then come back here and brag to us about how great your team is.

Because all I have seen is a puking, gagging QB who's too tired to finish the job when other people who've come back from broken legs :crutch: are hoisting the team onto their shoulders.

Winning the entire NFC is about as difficult as winning the Wild Card in the AFC.

thunderkyss
09-06-2006, 08:30 AM
To be Frank, 05 was a lost cause. There were more pro-bowlers out that single season then the Texans have had in their existance. Add to that fact that Owens was being the cancer he is, and demanded so many passes, and of course the Eagles had problems. He's gone, and thus, we can run our normal offense again.

If you guys aren't man enough to put a dog in his place, don't call the dog a cancer. 52 guys plus the coaching staff got punk'd by one man........ If I'm not mistaken, he doubled your TD production from 2003. you'd be stupid not to throw him the ball in '06. Your QB cost you the SuperBowl....... that's all he said....... and he was/is right.

The fact that you think we didn't have much of a running game because we rotated 3 backs just shows your lack of football intel. We had a FEARED running game.

No you didn't...... and the fact that you think you did shows your lack of football intel. 1600 yards from 3 guys is nothing to fear. 2000 yards from 3 guys is something to fear.

In fact, the reason we lost the 03 NFCCG was because Westy was hurt. We have him and we're in the super bowl - something the Texans can't even begin to talk about.

I've been talking about it for 5 years now. Samething you'll be doing without T.O.

& you lost the NFCCG because your QB was thinking about his chunky soup commercials.

As far as your 2 win season being equal to our 6 win season... BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Look, when you lose 6 pro-bowlers to injury in one year get back to me. In fact, when your team has 6 pro-bowl players on it, get back to me.

I've got 4, & will be sending two this year.... just wait

No, you know what, when your team wins 6 games without JUST it's starting QB (who is completely inferior to McNabb in every way) get back to me.

we're taking the slow approach to developing our QB. But when we get him to the SuperBowl, he'll have seen it all. I garuntee you he won't be throwing chunks on the 50 yard line, and he won't choke.

And Owens the most explosive player ever? Look up our scoring offense from 03 vs 04. You won't find much of a difference.

And "steady decline"? HAHHAHAHAHA

1 losing season since 1999 equals a "steady decline?"

should I type slower for you??

I said you started your decline when you lost T.O. just like SF did.....

Well I guess that makes the Texans born LOSERS doesn't it.

Jeff Garcia? He's a former pro-bowler thats fighting for a backup position. He's nothing.

without the most explosive wideReciever(who you guys weren't man enough to control) no, Jeff Garcia is nothing.

thunderkyss
09-06-2006, 08:37 AM
I couldn't agree more.

Man somebody is heading for a heartache, fast.....

no sacks...... is your bubble going to be totally busted when you get no sacks out of this game, or are you going to make excuses??

furferret2
09-06-2006, 08:39 AM
Whoever said the Eagles run a risky pass offense failed to realize McNabb was the first person to ever throw 30+ TD's and less than 10 interceptions in the same season. He also has the best TD/INT ratio in the NFL and is second all-time to Steve Young.

GP
09-06-2006, 08:40 AM
I love how Eagles fan always throws in how many Pro Bowlers they have.

Whoop-dee-do. What does that get you, a secret decoder ring and a lollipop from Tagliabue?

When you have three or four chances IN A ROW to win an easy NFC and win a championship at least ONCE out of those four years, do me a favor and win one, OK? Otherwise, stop propping yourself up as some powerhouse team. the Bills were just like you guys back in the day: Always winning an easy conference and never really being anywhere close to challenging the other conference's wild card team, let alone the conference champion.

And I like the, "Oh yeah, well we had guys injured in '05..." comment. Even when your guys are HEALTHY you can't win the big one. So what does it matter whether you have Pro Bowlers or not? Wasted talent, if you ask me.

Your coach should stop eating late-night ham sandwiches :fridge: and start preparing more dynamic gameplans.

furferret2
09-06-2006, 08:40 AM
Man somebody is heading for a heartache, fast.....

no sacks...... is your bubble going to be totally busted when you get no sacks out of this game, or are you going to make excuses??
And what make you think your offensive line will suddenly go from the laughingstock of the league to an indestructible wall against one of the best defensive lines?

thunderkyss
09-06-2006, 08:44 AM
blah, blah, blah...... we had 11 starters on IR........

trotter has this saying " bring it back to me." the eagles want the offensives to stretch it out because, while our LB's might not be great, they are fast enough to make the RB cut it back. exactly to trotter. the BEST run stopping linebacker in the league.

what makes LT so good? he has UNGODLY ability to cut back. how many rushing yards did he have against us last year?

blah, blah, blah........ we stopped LT

and i'm pretty sure when we faced denver last year almost our entire Dline was injured. hollis had a thigh bruise the size of a football. and i believe rayburn had a bum ankle. and walker had a thigh bruise as well.

blah, blah, blha......... our Dline was injured against Denver

lets hope to a good game though! i don't want to have the ability to turn it off and go somewhere else to have some fun.

stop it..... stop it.... stop making excuses, The Eagles sucked in '05, you'll suck in '06, and you'll suck in '07.

why?? because you'll be waiting three years for McNabb to turn it around... that's the way these things work.

furferret2
09-06-2006, 08:45 AM

Whoop-dee-do. What does that get you, a secret decoder ring and a lollipop from Tagliabue?

When you have three or four chances IN A ROW to win an easy NFC and win a championship at least ONCE out of those four years, do me a favor and win one, OK? Otherwise, stop propping yourself up as some powerhouse team.

And I like the, "Oh yeah, well we had guys injured in '05..." comment. Even when your guys are HEALTHY you can't win the big one. So what does it matter whether you have Pro Bowlers or not? Wasted talent, if you ask me.

Your coach should stop eating late-night ham sandwiches :fridge: and start preparing more dynamic gameplans.
A- Only when we trash talk vs. Texan fans, who have very little reason to watch the Pro Bowl every year.

B- It shows us how good our athletes are.

C- We did win an NFC championship, I'm not sure if when you say one you mean NFC or the SB, but I'd like to see the Texans take on the Pats in their prime and only lose by 3.

D- A prime example of wasted talent is wearing a Texans helmet.

E- Andy Reid turned this franchise around and he is the reason we ever were able to compete at the level we did.

GP
09-06-2006, 08:47 AM
And what make you think your offensive line will suddenly go from the laughingstock of the league to an indestructible wall against one of the best defensive lines?

Because you have zero clue about what Kubiak has done in the offseason. Zero.

And that's exactly why Thunderkyss is right: You guys are mouthing off and have absolutely no idea what's about to hit your team in the mouth.

Surprise is the best ally, and we have a very serious element of surprise. You repeat what you read on ESPN and other Northeast media shows/newspapers. Fact is, we've overhauled the o-line tremendously. Look at the teams in the preseason that we absolutley rolled up on and dominated. They didn't expect to see last year's 2-14 team come out and show some heart. Well, we rammed it down their throat.

And I have a sneaky feeling that you're going to grow a little more uneasy as Sunday comes closer. This is not the same old 2-14 team. And changes have not been made "in name alone" like they were with Capers as our coach.

Your under-estimation of us is a serious miscalculation.

texasguy346
09-06-2006, 08:49 AM
C- We did win an NFC championship, I'm not sure if when you say one you mean NFC or the SB, but I'd like to see the Texans take on the Pats in their prime and only lose by 3.

The Texans lost to the Pats in OT by 3 in the regular season the year the Pats & Panthers squared off in the SB. That was under Dom Capers so I wouldn't discount what this team could do under an offensive minded coach like Kubiak.

furferret2
09-06-2006, 08:51 AM

stop it..... stop it.... stop making excuses, The Eagles sucked in '05, you'll suck in '06, and you'll suck in '07.

why?? because you'll be waiting three years for McNabb to turn it around... that's the way these things work.
Do you have a clue of what you're talking about? No, seriously, do you have any idea?

When a team goes to 4 straight NFC Championship games in a row, then suddenly they have a 6-10 season, a season where they lost multiple players, most of them stars and pro bowlers, do you think the injuries had to do with it?

The Eagles were bouncing around .500 before McNabb went down, a respectable season considering he had a nagging sports hernia and other players were going down.

I'll admit we sucked in 05, but to say we'll suck in 06 and 07 is pretty laughable, especially coming from the Texans.

GP
09-06-2006, 08:51 AM
LOL. You guys are funny.

Go and watch "Invincable" because that's the only success story you'll be seeing out of Philly this year.

You guys need more bar tenders to play on your team. Oh, i forgot: You have a thick roster of Pro Bowlers. Get off the "We have more Pro Bowlers" gig...what's next, you're going to crack out your Topps trading cards and read me the stats of your players? Geez.......you guys are yesterday's news.

:superman:

chuckm
09-06-2006, 08:52 AM
The Texans lost to the Pats in OT by 3 in the regular season the year the Pats & Panthers squared off in the SB. That was under Dom Capers so I wouldn't discount what this team could do under an offensive minded coach like Kubiak.

Furthermore, we actually beat the Panthers that year .... FWIW .... which IMO is very little at this point

furferret2
09-06-2006, 08:54 AM
The Texans were better back then. I'm talking about today's Texans vs. the Pats in their prime.

GP
09-06-2006, 08:54 AM
You won what ALL analysts agree on is a very soft NFC right now. Face it: When the NFC goes to the Super Bowl this long and gets their rears beaten back to where they come from...you guys don't have a tough conference to "win."

Again: The NFC champ, at this point in time, is about as good as the AFC wild card team.

GP
09-06-2006, 08:56 AM
:party: We have more pro bowlers.

Wake me up when the stag party is over.

texasguy346
09-06-2006, 08:57 AM
The Texans were better back then. I'm talking about today's Texans vs. the Pats in their prime.

The Texans of today are better than the Texans back then. As I mentioned we were under Dom Capers back then and now we're under Kubiak there's already vast improvement. Again this was the year the Pats won their 2nd SB against the Panthers. Are you saying that when they won their 3rd SB next year against your Eagles that only that specific year was their prime? Seems to me like winning 2 SBs in consecutive seasons would qualify as their prime.

thunderkyss
09-06-2006, 09:19 AM
Do you have a clue of what you're talking about? No, seriously, do you have any idea?

When a team goes to 4 straight NFC Championship games in a row, then suddenly they have a 6-10 season, a season where they lost multiple players, most of them stars and pro bowlers, do you think the injuries had to do with it?

The Eagles were bouncing around .500 before McNabb went down, a respectable season considering he had a nagging sports hernia and other players were going down.

I'll admit we sucked in 05, but to say we'll suck in 06 and 07 is pretty laughable, especially coming from the Texans.

The last team to go to 4 straight Conference championship games in a row slipped into mediocrity faster than you can say Eagles suck, and have yet to recover. Can you name that team??

Didn't think so.........

mattwill
09-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Eagles fan is too proud for a team that hasn't won the Super Bowl since when? Oh that's right...you have never won a Super Bowl.

Man, we might not be ripping it up ourselves...but we've been in existence for only four or five years. What's your excuse?

Go grab yourselves a trophy, and then come back here and brag to us about how great your team is.

Because all I have seen is a puking, gagging QB who's too tired to finish the job when other people who've come back from broken legs :crutch: are hoisting the team onto their shoulders.

Winning the entire NFC is about as difficult as winning the Wild Card in the AFC.
Winning the Super Bowl is overrated as the criteria of success. All you have to do is look at all the people who support the 31 teams who don't win it every year. Texans fans are passionate for their team this year, right? Are you likely to win the Super Bowl this year? No. Does that reduce your passion? No.

Passion comes from the heart. Being a fan only of a SB winner comes from the head. Football fans are all about heart.

mattwill
09-06-2006, 10:39 AM
If I'm not mistaken, he doubled your TD production from 2003. you'd be stupid not to throw him the ball in '06.
You are mistaken. The Eagles O produed 40 TDs in 2003 and 42 TDs in 2004. That's a 5% increase.

I think you would agree that if the Texans only increase their TD production 5% this year you will be very dissapointed.

In fact the 2002 Eagles O produced 42 TDs ... exactly the same number that the TO Eagles produced in 2004.

So bottom-line, the question is, "Will the absence of TO make any difference in the TD output of the Eagles?"

Injuries on the other hand can make a huge impact. The 2005 Eagles O only produced 32 TDs.

mattwill
09-06-2006, 10:48 AM

I happen to agree with you on the blah, blah, blah. Instead of talking smack and/or trolling, which is what a large portion of the Eagles posters here are doing, lets talk football. Nothing will change the number of Super Bowls the eagles have won or not won. Nothing will change the number of NFCCGs won or lost either. In fact, nothing that has happened in the past affects Sunday's game. Only the players and coaches who walk on the field will affect the outcome. The rest is simply smack talk. Interesting, but not really on point.

infantrycak
09-06-2006, 10:54 AM
You are mistaken. The Eagles O produed 40 TDs in 2003 and 42 TDs in 2004. That's a 5% increase.

I suspect TK was talking about passing TD's which went from 17 in 2003 to 32 in 2004. As you point out the net result was only a 2 TD increase because the running game went from 23 TD's to 10.

mattwill
09-06-2006, 10:59 AM

And that's exactly why Thunderkyss is right: You guys are mouthing off and have absolutely no idea what's about to hit your team in the mouth.

This is not the same old 2-14 team. And changes have not been made "in name alone" like they were with Capers as our coach.

Your under-estimation of us is a serious miscalculation.
Completely agreed. The same thing can be said in reverse, although the media seems to love to pay attention (otherwise known as bash because they know that Eagles fans are suckers for punishment) to the Birds, so you may know more about the eagles than the Eagles fans know about the Texans.

mattwill
09-06-2006, 11:02 AM

Hey ferret, do you really KNOW how the Eagles are going to do in 06 and 07? I'm as diehard ansd Eagles fan as anyone, but none of us KNOW what the future will bring. We can make educated guesses, but "that is why they paly the game." If we knew the outcome hardly anyone would watch.

mattwill
09-06-2006, 11:05 AM
I suspect TK was talking about passing TD's which went from 17 in 2003 to 32 in 2004. As you point out the net result was only a 2 TD increase because the running game went from 23 TD's to 10.Very true. You've pointed out exactly how much all those TO TDs improved the Eagles Offense. Thank you.

Jerome_Brown_99
09-06-2006, 11:06 AM
If you guys aren't man enough to put a dog in his place, don't call the dog a cancer.

In case you didn't follow the news, we did put him in his place. Hence why he wasn't playing half of last season.

If I'm not mistaken, he doubled your TD production from 2003.

You are mistaken. Our scoring offense was nearly identical in 03 to 04. The difference was we ran the ball a lot in 03, while in 04 we relied on a more explosive big ply offense.

you'd be stupid not to throw him the ball in '06.

We shouldn't have been throwing to him nearly as much as we did, particularly since McNabb had a sports hernia.

Your QB cost you the SuperBowl....... that's all he said....... and he was/is right.

:rolleyes:

300 yards passing and 3 TDs. He didn't lose the SB for us, the OL (our OGs and center specifically) did. Anyone with an inkling of football IQ knows that just from watching the game.

No you didn't...... and the fact that you think you did shows your lack of football intel. 1600 yards from 3 guys is nothing to fear. 2000 yards from 3 guys is something to fear.

I could care less how many players it takes to get X number of yards, as long as we score points.

we're taking the slow approach to developing our QB. But when we get him to the SuperBowl, he'll have seen it all.

The slow approach? At this pace he'll be in a wheel chair before he has a 10 win season.

I said you started your decline when you lost T.O. just like SF did.....

[Insult deleted--last warning visiting fans--keep it clean or entire posts will be deleted]

without the most explosive wideReciever(who you guys weren't man enough to control) no, Jeff Garcia is nothing

Who cares - he's our backup QB, and won't be asked to do much anyway. Even if he plays, he'll be playing ball control and letting our monster defense win games.

PhillyFan
09-06-2006, 11:12 AM
Winning the Super Bowl is overrated as the criteria of success. All you have to do is look at all the people who support the 31 teams who don't win it every year. Texans fans are passionate for their team this year, right? Are you likely to win the Super Bowl this year? No. Does that reduce your passion? No.

Passion comes from the heart. Being a fan only of a SB winner comes from the head. Football fans are all about heart.

Except for Cowboys fans.

Frontrunning fools.

FlyEaglesFly
09-06-2006, 11:36 AM
The Texans wouldn't have come close to winning the NFC during the eagles dominant years. Plus, in 2004 the Birds were better than any other team in the AFC besides NE. Stop talking. Also, stop using the young franchise mantra. The Panthers made it to the NFC championship game in their second season, and have a super bowl appearance to their credit in under 10 years.

E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles
09-06-2006, 11:38 AM
When you have three or four chances IN A ROW to win an easy NFC and win a championship at least ONCE out of those four years, do me a favor and win one, OK? Otherwise, stop propping yourself up as some powerhouse team. the Bills were just like you guys back in the day: Always winning an easy conference and never really being anywhere close to challenging the other conference's wild card team, let alone the conference champion.

An easy NFC that almost beat the Patriots, the AFC dynasty team, 3 times. The Patriots only beat our easy NFC by 3 points for each Super Bowl. The year they didnt make it and Tampa Bay beat us to get into the Super Bowl, the easy NFC blew out your AFC Oakland Raiders who were a sorry excuse for a contender out of the AFC. I wouldn't say the conference is easy when we constantly have a team in there that challenges the best team of the last decade. The win percentage for the AFC against the NFC during the 4 seasons the Eagles made the NFC Championship was just over .500...not too dominating for a conference that is supposed to be far superior since the NFC is so "easy". If anything the AFC is the easier conference...you have a handful of teams that go 12-4 while the rest of the conference is in the basement...the NFC is competitive and has sent someone to the Super Bowl who contends with your dominating teams.

Since 2000 (when the Eagles began getting good):
2006: AFC over the NFC by 11 (Thanks to the refs)
2005: AFC by 3
2004: AFC by 3
2003: NFC by 27
2002: AFC by 3
2001: AFC by 27
2000: NFC by 7

We've sent contenders every year with an exception of the Giants against Baltimore (with one of the greatest defenses of all time). Maybe the NFC isnt as bad as you thought.

FlyEaglesFly
09-06-2006, 11:42 AM

Dude, listen to yourself. Perhaps you should stop talking trash altogether. You're a fan of the Houston Texans. They have never given any Eagles fan, or other fans for that matter any reason to believe that they will make the playoffs. We, as eagles fans may not have a lot to brag about, but we certainly have a hell of a lot more to brag about than you do. You like to keep pointing out the fact that the Eagles have only won 1 NFCCG in 4 trys. Okay, so what.....? Contact me when the Texans actually are able to make the playoffs or have a record above .500.

EaglesFanPhila
09-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Dude, listen to yourself. Perhaps you should stop talking trash altogether. You're a fan of the Houston Texans. They have never given any Eagles fan, or other fans for that matter any reason to believe that they will make the playoffs. We, as eagles fans may not have a lot to brag about, but we certainly have a hell of a lot more to brag about than you do. You like to keep pointing out the fact that the Eagles have only won 1 NFCCG in 4 trys. Okay, so what.....? Contact me when the Texans actually are able to make the playoffs or have a record above .500.
:yahoo:

FlyEaglesFly
09-06-2006, 11:50 AM

Surprise is the best ally, and we have a very serious element of surprise. You repeat what you read on ESPN and other Northeast media shows/newspapers. Fact is, we've overhauled the o-line tremendously. Look at the teams in the preseason that we absolutley rolled up on and dominated. They didn't expect to see last year's 2-14 team come out and show some heart. Well, we rammed it down their throat.

And I have a sneaky feeling that you're going to grow a little more uneasy as Sunday comes closer. This is not the same old 2-14 team. And changes have not been made "in name alone" like they were with Capers as our coach.

Your under-estimation of us is a serious miscalculation.Excuse us for forgetting that a coach's new system pays off with flying colors right away.lol: You do realize that it takes time for a "completely overhauled" line to gel, right? Not only that, but I know you guys are starting a rookie who just started playing tackle last year, going up against Howard. I think you're in for a huge surprise if you think this new system and brand new O-line will play great right away. And stop using pre-season, any educated NFL observer realizes pre-season means nada. The Steelers lost every game, they're done!!!

titan hater
09-06-2006, 11:52 AM

Have the eagles won the SB? Ever? 2nd place is first loser....Go Home and boo Santa will ya.....

TreachX
09-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Have the Eagles ever won the Super Bowl? No. Do they have NFL Championships? Yes.

Since 2000, the Eagles have made the playoffs in 5 out of 6 years, with 4 division titles, and one NFC Championship. Have the Texans ever made the playoffs? Have they ever had a winning record? The answer is no, so trying to use the Eagles failure to win the Super Bowl is a pretty stupid argument.

The Texans may be improved from last season. But considering they were the worst team in the league, that isn't difficult. You need to go in baby steps, and defeating the Eagles (a team that will be a lot more like the 13-3 version rather than the 6-10 version) is a big step. It's just not going to happen this year.

SESupergenius
09-06-2006, 12:39 PM
The Bengals went from 2-14 in 2002 to 8-8 in 2003, that is a considerable leap and I wouldn't classify that as baby steps.

PhillyFan
09-06-2006, 12:51 PM
Funny. Its always the same argument over here on these boards.

If a Texans fan sees something he disagrees with, there is a large tendency to fall back on the "Youve never won a super bowl, but we have only been around for 4 years, so we have an excuse" card.

Lame.

Ill be back on Monday. And no, I wont be a sore winner. I will just make sure you all acknowledge that we are a much better team than you though.

TreachX
09-06-2006, 12:52 PM
The Bengals went from 2-14 in 2002 to 8-8 in 2003, that is a considerable leap and I wouldn't classify that as baby steps.

8-8 isn't a winning record, so its not that big of a step.

infantrycak
09-06-2006, 12:53 PM
8-8 isn't a winning record, so its not that big of a step.

Fine--San Diego went from 4-12 to 12-4 and the playoffs.

Miami went 4-12 to 9-7
Chicago 5-11 to 11-5
Tampa 5-11 to 11-5
Happy?

Wolf
09-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Funny. Its always the same argument over here on these boards.

If a Texans fan sees something he disagrees with, there is a large tendency to fall back on the "Youve never won a super bowl, but we have only been around for 4 years, so we have an excuse" card.

Lame.

Ill be back on Monday. And no, I wont be a sore winner. I will just make sure you all acknowledge that we are a much better team than you though.

about the same as the other side sees it.. Philly fans see a 2-14 team and that the Texans were the worse team in the league..

Philly and Houston aren't too far apart, both teams lost some close games by a touchdown or less (I believe it was 4). I seriosly doubt any Eagles fan watched a Texan game last year except for maybe the Seahawks-Texans on national TV. And if any Texan fan watched the Eagles,it was more than likely against the Cryboys

Wolf
09-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Not saying Texan players last season quit on the coaches, but you can see the way they(Texans) carried themselves. They didn't believe in the system that Capers and crew put in place. Confidence wasn't there in the team and this season you can see a spring in the guys step and a fire in their eyes. they believe in the Kubiak system.

While we still need to upgrade some areas of the team
Expect a much different team than you saw on MNF last year

TreachX
09-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Philly fans see a 2-14 team and that the Texans were the worse team in the league..

I'm sorry, but weren't they?

Wolf
09-06-2006, 01:13 PM
I'm sorry, but weren't they?

and Eagles are still 6-10

TreachX
09-06-2006, 01:23 PM
and Eagles are still 6-10

Yes, they were. And last I checked, 6 is greater than 2. They also had their star QB injured (he was hurt even when playing) throughout the season, and they have most of the core players back from a team that was in the Super Bowl the year before. So they at least have some past success to draw from.

The Texans have nothing similar to draw from.

FlyEaglesFly
09-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Fine--San Diego went from 4-12 to 12-4 and the playoffs.

Miami went 4-12 to 9-7
Chicago 5-11 to 11-5
Tampa 5-11 to 11-5
Happy?And none of those teams are named "2006 Houston Texans". Also, all those teams, IMO, had considerably more talent than Houston has.

Wolf
09-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Yes, they were. And last I checked, 6 is greater than 2. They also had their star QB injured (he was hurt even when playing) throughout the season, and they have most of the core players back from a team that was in the Super Bowl the year before. So they at least have some past success to draw from.

The Texans have nothing similar to draw from.

:ok: spin it how you want. missing playoffs is missing playoffs,last in division is last in division

TreachX
09-06-2006, 01:46 PM
I'm not spinning anything. I'm just providing evidence as to why the Eagles are a better team and why they're going to win on Sunday.

Wolf
09-06-2006, 01:51 PM
I just find it funny that Eagle fans dismiss anything the Texans have done in the offseason to better themselves, we hear 2-14 worse team in the league, yet eagle fans are quick to point out that injuries took the team down (and i dont' discredit that).With all the smack talk, I have great respect for the Eagles defense and McNabb. He has done more with what he had offensively than what Culpepper or Manning has done (manning with Harrison and Edge,Culpepper with Moss and for a while Robert Smith)

I guess what we should have worded our excuses differently

In 2005 we had an injured coaching staff.

allez_aigles
09-06-2006, 02:07 PM
I see that Matt is here. One of the better EMB posters but I will admit I don't recognize many of the others. Both Mattwill and I are using the same SN that we use on the EMB. I mention this because I am here to get the Texan fan view of their team and to discuss matchups. I'll leave smack talk for the interdivision games and for teams that I can admit to being familiar with. The Texans - I am not.

With that said. I have perused a lot of this thread and find it humorous that so much of the 2005 Eagles performance is being used by both Eagle fans and by Texans to predict the outcome of this game.

This is the way I look at the game. The Texans are bringing in a new offense and it is the WCO offense, the Texans are also switching from a 3-4 D to the 4-3 (which bucks the NFL trend).

Teams that are new to the WCO don't tend to start seasons with a offensive punch. Heck the team that should have done it last was the Tampa Bay Buccnears in Grudens first year. It helped them that Brad Johnson already was familiar with the offense and yet it was the Buc's defense that kept them in games until about week 10 of their SB season. Yes they did go to the superbowl that year but it was on the back of their defense and frankly those Bucs were already a top caliber team with many facets of the team being very familiar with each other. This year besides the Texans you have Minn bringing in the WCO - although once again Minn has Brad Johnson.

If I look at the Eagles going into the season I see three weak points.

1) The KR and PR teams. The Eagles have not started off well in either area for the past several seasons. This is largely due to the players being put on these teams are only be set in this first week of the season. Now MattWill has done a great job on the EMB of breaking down these units but from what he has done - I can still see this being a weak point that should help the Texans this week and the Giants next week get decent starting field positions.

2) The WRs. Hey we are only returning one WR that was on the 2004 squad and here is hoping that Greg Lewis can return to his 2004 skills where as a 3rd or 4th option he put up respectable numbers as that 3rd or 4th receiver. Reggie Brown is the other and he had a respectable rookie campaign - grant it most of that came later in the season with McMahon throwing to him and not McNabb. So - hey here is a group that I can see some discussion on doubts. That said - I think a look at the Eagles in 2001 and 2002 would prove fruitfull. In those years the focus was on the short pass - to the RBs (with over 70% reception/pass rate) TEs( over 67% reception rate) and the slot (a low 54% reception rate). The WR got few attempts and I can see that happening this week as well.

3) Matt McKoy is a young aggressive WIL Linebacker who will likely run himself out of position and at times has gotten swept up by a tackle that released on a run. I have slammed Dhani Jones at the SAM as much as anyone on the EMB but while he isn't going to all-pro for us this year he is going to be fine with more teams challenging the young McKoy.

OK - so let's discuss some matchups..

Blake
09-06-2006, 02:07 PM
The Philly fans sound like us in 2004 when we played the Chargers in our Home opener, and lost. I remember being very shocked when the Chargers came out and handed us our lunch that game. Any given Sunday.

Just remember that things like this happen Philly fan.

EF55
09-06-2006, 02:21 PM
I just find it funny that Eagle fans dismiss anything the Texans have done in the offseason to better themselves, we hear 2-14 worse team in the league, yet eagle fans are quick to point out that injuries took the team down (and i dont' discredit that).With all the smack talk, I have great respect for the Eagles defense and McNabb. He has done more with what he had offensively than what Culpepper or Manning has done (manning with Harrison and Edge,Culpepper with Moss and for a while Robert Smith)

LOL very clever, It's all relative

Brandon420tx
09-06-2006, 02:23 PM
I see that Matt is here. One of the better EMB posters but I will admit I don't recognize many of the others. Both Mattwill and I are using the same SN that we use on the EMB. I mention this because I am here to get the Texan fan view of their team and to discuss matchups. I'll leave smack talk for the interdivision games and for teams that I can admit to being familiar with. The Texans - I am not.

With that said. I have perused a lot of this thread and find it humorous that so much of the 2005 Eagles performance is being used by both Eagle fans and by Texans to predict the outcome of this game.

This is the way I look at the game. The Texans are bringing in a new offense and it is the WCO offense, the Texans are also switching from a 3-4 D to the 4-3 (which bucks the NFL trend).

Teams that are new to the WCO don't tend to start seasons with a offensive punch. Heck the team that should have done it last was the Tampa Bay Buccnears in Grudens first year. It helped them that Brad Johnson already was familiar with the offense and yet it was the Buc's defense that kept them in games until about week 10 of their SB season. Yes they did go to the superbowl that year but it was on the back of their defense and frankly those Bucs were already a top caliber team with many facets of the team being very familiar with each other. This year besides the Texans you have Minn bringing in the WCO - although once again Minn has Brad Johnson.

1) The KR and PR teams. The Eagles have not started off well in either area for the past several seasons. This is largely due to the players being put on these teams are only be set in this first week of the season. Now MattWill has done a great job on the EMB of breaking down these units but from what he has done - I can still see this being a weak point that should help the Texans this week and the Giants next week get decent starting field positions.

2) The WRs. Hey we are only returning one WR that was on the 2004 squad and here is hoping that Greg Lewis can return to his 2004 skills where as a 3rd or 4th option he put up respectable numbers as that 3rd or 4th receiver. Reggie Brown is the other and he had a respectable rookie campaign - grant it most of that came later in the season with McMahon throwing to him and not McNabb. So - hey here is a group that I can see some discussion on doubts. That said - I think a look at the Eagles in 2001 and 2002 would prove fruitfull. In those years the focus was on the short pass - to the RBs (with over 70% reception/pass rate) TEs( over 67% reception rate) and the slot (a low 54% reception rate). The WR got few attempts and I can see that happening this week as well.

3) Matt McKoy is a young aggressive WIL Linebacker who will likely run himself out of position and at times has gotten swept up by a tackle that released on a run. I have slammed Dhani Jones at the SAM as much as anyone on the EMB but while he isn't going to all-pro for us this year he is going to be fine with more teams challenging the young McKoy.

A very respectable post. I'm so shocked I don't have a rebuttle.

PhillyFan
09-06-2006, 02:27 PM

I wont argue that point at all. Just hearing the name Capers is an excuse to lose 10 games.

Wolf
09-06-2006, 02:28 PM
Welcome to the board allez_aigles

for me, Our offense is going to be an enigma. I mean I can imagine us running a form of the Denver's offense, yet I can't because we will need time to gel in that aspect of the game. Our offensive line should get a boost just by having Flannigan at Center. McKinney did ok but he really was a guard and in that aspect, it should help Carr (there were times when McKinney just would get pushed back into Carr), LT will be something to watch, Spencer will have his hands full. having a legit TE is something we haven't seen here in Houston (not knocking the previous guys that wore the Texan uniform at that position) and I truely believe that will be something that will help Carr tremendously. It wll be an interesting matchup with AJ/Moulds against Dawkins and crew.

Defensively. our DL is pretty good, Demeco Ryans is a ball hawk so you will see him flying around the field all day. With the DL improved, maybe that will help our secondary look better than what it is. D-rob is pretty good, but that area is our weakness right now.

ST.. P-buc has some ability and it will be interesting to him returning kicks, we will miss Mathis (injured) for a few weeks..
P-buc has some speed back there and can make plays.

chad Stanley is pretty good at placing the ball inside the 20 and getting good hang time on punts to limit the returners ability. Stanley is pretty good at not kicking the ball in the endzone for touchback

Mr. White
09-06-2006, 02:29 PM

Good post.

The DBs are a weakness for the Texans. Unless you guys know something everyone else doesn't, the passing game seems to be a weakness for the Eagles this year.

Our passing game is suspect at this point as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Carr doesn't light it up.

I think this game will be ugly. Lots of running....not much scoring.

Wolf
09-06-2006, 02:31 PM
I wont argue that point at all. Just hearing the name Capers is an excuse to lose 10 games.

I like Capers. just the wheels fell off the wagon, we went 7-9 in 2004 and looking to build on that and we forgot to tighten the lug nuts on for 2005

run-david-run
09-06-2006, 02:31 PM
The Texans wouldn't have come close to winning the NFC during the eagles dominant years. Plus, in 2004 the Birds were better than any other team in the AFC besides NE. Stop talking. Also, stop using the young franchise mantra. The Panthers made it to the NFC championship game in their second season, and have a super bowl appearance to their credit in under 10 years.
Thats because they loaded up on big free agents who were towards the end of their career, hence their rapid decline following that season and the firing of Dom Capers.

Wolf
09-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Good post.

The DBs are a weakness for the Texans. Unless you guys know something everyone else doesn't, the passing game seems to be a weakness for the Eagles this year.

Our passing game is suspect at this point as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Carr doesn't light it up.

true

and we have 4 rookies starting (Williams/Ryans on defense, Lundi,Daniels on offense)

I expect some mistakes

PhillyFan
09-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Good post.

2 weeks ago, I would have agreed with you. However, today, I disagree.

The Stallworth addition makes a bigger impact than people think. A much bigger impact.

Yes, he has only been an Eagle for a week now. However, he stated at his first practice, that his knowledge of our offense was at about 60%. If he can get to 75% by gametime, that is more than adequate.

Basically, we just need him to stretch the field. If he can do that, that is more than enough. Phillys version of the WCO heavily depends on spreading the ball around. If Donte can show he can get open deep, it most likely draws at least a look from the safety.

If the safety is looking out there, it is going to leave a lot of space for LJ, Westbrook, Brown, and Avant (hopefully, I really want to see him in there)

I think people are heavily underestimating our offense. Which, I am not complaining about at all. I see a lot of Westbrook bashing by teams who have never really seen him. All they see is rushing stats, and immediately discredit him. Again though...that is fine by me.

Westbrook is, in my opinion, one of the top 10 overall threats in the NFL today. Now, thats just my opinion, and I have no fact to back that up with obviously.

I cant wait for Sunday already. :bananasplit:

texasguy346
09-06-2006, 02:38 PM

Nice job on the write up. The field position issue won't be nearly as big of an issue on Sunday as it would have been if we had Mathis healthy. He was our only Pro Bowler last year and he had the speed to turn a kickoff into 6pts. The guys you see fielding the kicks this Sunday won't be the same threat Mathis was and they'll be relatively inexperienced. On punts you'll likely see Phillip Buchannon on returns. He's definately skilled in this area, and he's shown flashes while with the Raiders that he can make big plays back there.

You might see your WRs as a weakness, but you can take solace in the fact that our secondary is probably the weakest part of our team. DRob is far and away the best of the bunch. You'll see Sanders starting opposite of DRob, and despite a pretty good preseason he doesn't look like a starting caliber CB. Faggins started some last year at CB, but he, too, is hurt and won't be on the field Sunday. Buchannon has all the physical tools to be a very good CB in this league, but he simply hasn't shown it yet with the Texans. Last year he got picked on quite a bit. You'll likely see him come in on Nickel or Dime packages. He'll gamble some in coverage. Sometimes he makes the big play others he just gets burnt to a crisp. So far with he hasn't made many big plays for us, but we're hopeful that will change with a better pass rush. Earl is our starting SS, and he's a good solid starter. He is decent against the run, and he delivers a good pop. He's not as good in coverage as we'd like, and if he's left one on one with LJ I suspect LJ will leave him grasping at air. Brown is a 2nd year player who's starting at FS. He delivers a good pop as well, but he isn't suited to be a FS. He'd be better off as a backup at SS, but he's the best option we have there at the moment. The secondary is definately an area of weakness for us that we'll have to adress in the years to come.

Texans_Chick
09-06-2006, 02:40 PM
true

and we have 4 rookies starting (Williams/Ryans on defense, Lundi,Daniels on offense)

I expect some mistakes

5 Rookies: Link: Texans Start Five Rookies (http://texans.aolsportsblog.com/2006/09/05/texans-start-five-rookies/)

Probably Charles Spencer at left tackle is just about the most important rookie starter on Sunday. No pressure.

Jerome_Brown_99
09-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Westbrook is, in my opinion, one of the top 10 overall threats in the NFL today. Now, thats just my opinion, and I have no fact to back that up with obviously.

Exactly. People look and see no 1,000 yard season.

Well, no RB is ever going to get 1,000 yards here. We only run about 42% of the time, and we rotate at least 2 RBs.

What he does do is force defenses to game plan around him unlike they do any other RB. He's a WR when split out wide. He is a home run threat every time he has the ball in his hands. If he gets in open space, he's taking it to the house.

Remember, the Eagles have only been defeated once when Westy has had 20 or more touches in a game. That single loss was the super bowl.

Wolf
09-06-2006, 02:45 PM
5 Rookies: Link: Texans Start Five Rookies (http://texans.aolsportsblog.com/2006/09/05/texans-start-five-rookies/)

Probably Charles Spencer at left tackle is just about the most important rookie starter on Sunday. No pressure.

thanks I can't believe I forgot about Spencer :hide:

allez_aigles
09-06-2006, 02:46 PM
I am a little curious about your comment about Stanley not kicking the ball in for touchbacks. I'll be fair - I would prefer to see David Akers putting the ball in the endzone. Do you feel your gunners are quick enough to bring the KR down before the 20 yrd line?

There were alot of Eagle fans upset that we didn't even bring Moulds in for an interview and of those I would say 80% were until recently unhappy we didn't sign him. I understood some of the rational. Moulds does bring a lot of veteran experience but frankly I am not convinced he is a player that if he was on the Eagles would have forced teams out of the 8-man in the box.

What will be interesting to watch for is a new nickel package that Jim Johnson has installed this summer. When the Eagles go into it they pull all of the LBs and put Shawn Barber back on the field as the only legit LB and move Dawkins down. Howard will be moved to DT and Cole will come in at DE. Sean Considine (who spent most of last season recovering from a shoulder injury) will come in as the FS. To be fair - I don't know what to expect when this package comes in. The defense will be fast - very fast. But they will be light. Somehow I don't expect to see this much this week with your zone blocking scheme but who knows.

@Battle Red Bull - not sure I understand what you mean by the passing game being the weakness for the Eagles? If you mean our Wide Receivers - there I think we have a good area to discuss. Otherwise - Andy Reid likes to call passing plays - too much for my liking - but the passes to the RBs and the TEs should work for us. What you have to keep in mind is Reid considers a pass to a RB is like a running play. What I have noticed the past two seasons and in the few pass plays by McNabb this preseason is he is developing his touch and someone has convinced him to give up his happy feet. By happy feet - I don't mean not moving to get away from pressure - but an improvement of his mechanics so that his feet are set when he throws the short pass. All to often in McNabbs early years he would be shifting his feet when he would throw a short pass. The result were TEs scraping the ball up from the turf and limiting their ability to get YAC.

Just a thought to throw out there. Besides Williams - how fast do you guys think your D-line is? One of the past success for the Eagles was their D-Line was fast which help to disrupt the opposing offense. We don't this year have the Hollis Thomas type that was slow for a DT but stout against the run, so I could see a delayed draw working.

Texans_Chick
09-06-2006, 02:48 PM
Personally, I think the key to the game is whether the Texans can look good enough at the beginning not to get the crowd out of the game. Whether they get their feet under them.

Carr is statistically a slow starter and the Eagle line can help keep him that way.

When Reliant is rocking, it can be one of the loudest places in the league because of how close the fans are to the field and how vertical it is (and the roof is going to be closed). Literally, in a good game, at field level you can scream at the top of your lungs and can't hear yourself. The NFL has changed the silent count rules this year, so it will be harder for opposing teams to get off their plays.

http://football.ballparks.com/NFL/HoustonTexans/interior.jpg

Wolf
09-06-2006, 02:48 PM
I am a little curious about your comment about Stanley not kicking the ball in for touchbacks. I'll be fair - I would prefer to see David Akers putting the ball in the endzone. Do you feel your gunners are quick enough to bring the KR down before the 20 yrd line?

There were alot of Eagle fans upset that we didn't even bring Moulds in for an interview and of those I would say 80% were until recently unhappy we didn't sign him. I understood some of the rational. Moulds does bring a lot of veteran experience but frankly I am not convinced he is a player that if he was on the Eagles would have forced teams out of the 8-man in the box.

What will be interesting to watch for is a new nickel package that Jim Johnson has installed this summer. When the Eagles go into it they pull all of the LBs and put Shawn Barber back on the field as the only legit LB and move Dawkins down. Howard will be moved to DT and Cole will come in at DE. Sean Considine (who spent most of last season recovering from a shoulder injury) will come in as the FS. To be fair - I don't know what to expect when this package comes in. The defense will be fast - very fast. But they will be light. Somehow I don't expect to see this much this week with your zone blocking scheme but who knows.

@Battle Red Bull - not sure I understand what you mean by the passing game being the weakness for the Eagles? If you mean our Wide Receivers - there I think we have a good area to discuss. Otherwise - Andy Reid likes to call passing plays - too much for my liking - but the passes to the RBs and the TEs should work for us. What you have to keep in mind is Reid considers a pass to a RB is like a running play. What I have noticed the past two seasons and in the few pass plays by McNabb this preseason is he is developing his touch and someone has convinced him to give up his happy feet. By happy feet - I don't mean not moving to get away from pressure - but an improvement of his mechanics so that his feet are set when he throws the short pass. All to often in McNabbs early years he would be shifting his feet when he would throw a short pass. The result were TEs scraping the ball up from the turf and limiting their ability to get YAC.

Just a thought to throw out there. Besides Williams - how fast do you guys think your D-line is? One of the past success for the Eagles was their D-Line was fast which help to disrupt the opposing offense. We don't this year have the Hollis Thomas type that was slow for a DT but stout against the run, so I could see a delayed draw working.

my apologies, I meant to put punting on the Stanley comment

TreachX
09-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Unless you guys know something everyone else doesn't, the passing game seems to be a weakness for the Eagles this year.

Everyone gets hung up on the fact that the Eagles don't have Owens anymore. That is not going to mean they won't have a passing game? Why you ask?

Well, they have a top QB for starters. Keep in mind that this is a QB who was an established star before TO came to the Eagles. Yes, he had his best season with TO, but there's no reason not to expect him to return to 2003 levels. Also, now that his sports hernia is healed, he's once again a threat to run, something missing from his game last year.

But who is he going to throw to? Well, you can start with Brian Westbrook, who is among, if not the best pass catching back in the league. You can bring up the fact that he's injury prone, but he'll be healthy for this game, so that point is largely irrelevant.

LJ Smith is a good tight end, while maybe not at the level of Gates or Gonzalez, he is still a threat in the middle of the field.

Reggie Brown had a good rookie season, and while potential doesn't get you much in the league, he is expected to improve on last year.

Donte Stallworth is a proven deep threat in the NFL. There are questions as to how well he knows the Eagles offense or how well he meshes, but defenses still must respect his speed.

Those are four solid weapons, and when you factor in guys like Matt Schoebel, Hank Baskett, and Greg Lewis (watch the 2004 playoffs) the Eagles passing game should be good.

allez_aigles
09-06-2006, 02:55 PM
You might see your WRs as a weakness, but you can take solace in the fact that our secondary is probably the weakest part of our team. DRob is far and away the best of the bunch. You'll see Sanders starting opposite of DRob, and despite a pretty good preseason he doesn't look like a starting caliber CB. Faggins started some last year at CB, but he, too, is hurt and won't be on the field Sunday. Buchannon has all the physical tools to be a very good CB in this league, but he simply hasn't shown it yet with the Texans. Last year he got picked on quite a bit. You'll likely see him come in on Nickel or Dime packages. He'll gamble some in coverage. Sometimes he makes the big play others he just gets burnt to a crisp. So far with he hasn't made many big plays for us, but we're hopeful that will change with a better pass rush.

I wonder if your issues with your DBs had anything to do with the 3-4 you were using. Last year our DBs looked bad - but a lot of that had to do with a poor pass rush and leaving the DBs to cover for 6, 7, 8 seconds. Over a game that wears on a player and it also meant that Jim Johnson called less blitzes last year than he did in 2003 and 2004.

I know that the zone blocking your team uses takes the aggressive upfield rushing of DL to it advantage - but the counter to that is when the DL is playing on your teams side of the line of scrimmage it forces the QB to release the ball sooner.

Earl is our starting SS, and he's a good solid starter. He is decent against the run, and he delivers a good pop. He's not as good in coverage as we'd like, and if he's left one on one with LJ I suspect LJ will leave him grasping at air. Brown is a 2nd year player who's starting at FS. He delivers a good pop as well, but he isn't suited to be a FS. He'd be better off as a backup at SS, but he's the best option we have there at the moment. The secondary is definately an area of weakness for us that we'll have to adress in the years to come.

LJ is an interesting player. Sometimes he looks like a star and others I wonder if his head is in the game. I am a bit excited this year that we have brought in Schobel. He doesn't have the numbers that LJ has from his days in Cincy - but he is heads and shoulders above Spach. I am hoping the two of them are what I was expecting in 2004 with L.J. Smith and Chad Lewis. Chad didn't get alot of attention in 2004 because of T.O. but had he been used it would have meant he or LJ would have been forced to be covered by a linebacker and with a decent pass should mean 5-8 yards on each reception. Give me a bunch of those and you are moving the chains.

ronchalant
09-06-2006, 02:59 PM
Eagles fan here - that's pretty funny :lol:

Fans from both teams are going to be naturally dismissive of the moves the other team has made since last year - which was a disappointing season for both of us.

The Texans needed somebody to come in and breathe some new life and direction into the club. From a coaching standpoing - which can mean a lot - big moves were made going with Kubiak. To be fair, Kubiak is unproven as a head coach. That doesn't mean he's going to be bad, but compared to Reid and company he's unproven.

Houston's O-line has to be a concern for them. A rookie playing LT. Pitts is solid. The rest are pedestrian and/or past their prime. And I believe more than a few are playing a totally new position while learning a totally new offense. That may be okay in the vanilla preseason, but when you're being called on to play a more complex offense in the regular season against more complex defensive schemes, this can wreak havoc on a line that hasn't gelled. In addition, the loss of Davis is huge. You can scheme your way out of it a bit with rollouts and the like, but the Eagles defense is and has always been exceptoinally fast. Carr will likely be rolling to Kearse's side, who still has more speed than 95% of all DEs in this league (and most linebackers). Our defensive line is built for penetration. I see us getting into the backfield, which means your offense will absolutely HAVE to be able to run the ball effectively. Our run-stopping at the line may be somewhat vulnerable, it's unproven if nothing else. Bunkley or Rayburn might be our best run stopper, neither of whom is penciled in as a starter. (though I suspect by mid-season Bunkley as a starter will be the reality) In any case, you will need to run on us with an unproven RB and an unproven line.

Your WR starters are good, though Moulds has definitely lost a step. Johnson is a stud (though he's been frustrating as a member of many of my fantasy teams :brickwall: ). What happened to Mathis btw? Our secondary is pro-bowl material across the board thorugh. We have always been good at shutting down top receivers, and I don't see Johnson breaking through there. Moulds just doesn't have the speed he once did. I see it being very difficult for you guys, between the pass rush and the skill we have in our secondary, to move the ball through the air much (unless you're killing us with the run game).

On the flip side, you have a lot of question marks at the D-line position, and behind Dunta Robinson your secondary is, well .... not particularly good. Our receivers are solid if unspectacular, and Stallworth gives us big play ability at the WR position. We spread the ball though, so watch for LJ Smith and Westbrook to get a lot of touches through the air. There is no one guy to key on - except possibly McNabb. Our running game should be enough to keep the defense honest, as our O-line is one of the top in the league and can be dominating in the run game.

The tough part of this is figuring out who the Texans will be when they strap them up sunday. Going on past history, I'd say we should dominate. But there are a lot of unknowns: new coach, a few new players, different scheme. Does this translate into a different attitude? And better play? Maybe. But I have difficulty seeing the talent there to really give Kubiak's schemes and new looks a chance.

I would call this one 24-10 Eagles.

Wolf
09-06-2006, 03:01 PM
I wonder if your issues with your DBs had anything to do with the 3-4 you were using. Last year our DBs looked bad - but a lot of that had to do with a poor pass rush and leaving the DBs to cover for 6, 7, 8 seconds. Over a game that wears on a player and it also meant that Jim Johnson called less blitzes last year than he did in 2003 and 2004.

I think you could put that in as the Texans problems too.. no pass rush whatsoever. frustrating as a fan is seeing teams pick up a 3rd and 17 in a game... was unbelieveable.

Wolf
09-06-2006, 03:04 PM
mathis injured himself in a motorcycle accident

for some reason the 2005 season, either teams shut down AJ or we did it ourselves.

2004 we got the ball to AJ on slants and such and his YAC were really good.

2005.. comeback routes/outs for AJ ..he'd get the ball as he was stopped and his YAC went down

allez_aigles
09-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Everyone gets hung up on the fact that the Eagles don't have Owens anymore. That is not going to mean they won't have a passing game? Why you ask?

Well, they have a top QB for starters. Keep in mind that this is a QB who was an established star before TO came to the Eagles. Yes, he had his best season with TO, but there's no reason not to expect him to return to 2003 levels. Also, now that his sports hernia is healed, he's once again a threat to run, something missing from his game last year.

But who is he going to throw to? Well, you can start with Brian Westbrook, who is among, if not the best pass catching back in the league. You can bring up the fact that he's injury prone, but he'll be healthy for this game, so that point is largely irrelevant.

LJ Smith is a good tight end, while maybe not at the level of Gates or Gonzalez, he is still a threat in the middle of the field.

Reggie Brown had a good rookie season, and while potential doesn't get you much in the league, he is expected to improve on last year.

Donte Stallworth is a proven deep threat in the NFL. There are questions as to how well he knows the Eagles offense or how well he meshes, but defenses still must respect his speed.

Those are four solid weapons, and when you factor in guys like Matt Schoebel, Hank Baskett, and Greg Lewis (watch the 2004 playoffs) the Eagles passing game should be good.

Obviously we are both Eagles fans - but I do feel that overestimating what we will get from the WR is something I am see a lot from Eagles fans. By mid season - I hope to be there with the hoards that feel the Eagles WR are just fine. At this point - I really am expecting to see a return to the 2001 and 2002 offense spread of the ball. In those years the pass/rush ratio was more balanced than it was in 2003, 2004 and certainly last year. Plus the pass spread focused more on Duce, Lewis and later Freedman - so this year I see that as being Westbrook and L.J. Smith. I think we will see McNabb working passes to Reggie Brown and Greg Lewis. Over the next few weeks - we will see 4 or 5 passes thrown to Strickland - but those plays will be called more to force the DBs to play honest and force teams out of the 8-man in the box and less because our WR are real threat.

JMHO.

Vinny
09-06-2006, 03:11 PM
I'm pretty high on Reggie Brown and I think he has all the tools to be a solid WR1 in the NFL. He has enough suddeness and yac ability to handle the job. I think the Eagle offensive line will dominate the line of scrimmage Sunday. I don't think the Texans front 7 is going to be able to handle you guys, and I think you will pick on our Sam linebacker since we lack speed there. On top of that, he has a rookie beside him...a good looking rookie...but a rookie all the same. Our CB2, SS and FS are questionable too. If our offense can't score 27 points I think we are in trouble.

Texans_Chick
09-06-2006, 05:00 PM
mathis injured himself in a motorcycle accident

for some reason the 2005 season, either teams shut down AJ or we did it ourselves.

2004 we got the ball to AJ on slants and such and his YAC were really good.

2005.. comeback routes/outs for AJ ..he'd get the ball as he was stopped and his YAC went down

In 2005, AJ was injured with an injury behind his knee where it attaches to his calf. He came back on the field after the injury but still wasn't right.

Last year you cannot call what the Texans ran as an "offensive scheme" as that would be an insult to schemes. It would be better to call it offensive.

They didn't use the TEs for pass catching much, with among the lowest uses of the tight end in a year where TEs were getting lots of catches.

They kept the TEs in for blocking, and tried to get the ball out of Carr's hand faster by little dumps. The defenses no longer had to respect any sort of deep ball and had complete ability to tee off on Carr. With the coordinator being dumped Week 2 and throwing together a new playbook during the bye week, the Pendry offense was a frankensteinian monster mash of the old and new playbooks with everybody confused. Glipses of hope were seen when Carr called his own plays.

Here is some more information that also explains the drop off in AJ/Carr's production between 2004/2005, or more specifically, from the beginning part of 2004 to the end of 2005:

Link: David Carr and the Cover-2 Kryptonite (http://texans.aolsportsblog.com/2006/09/06/david-carr-and-the-cover-2-kryptonite/)

SESupergenius
09-06-2006, 05:07 PM
I'll chime in...respectfully on this board after firing up the natives on theirs.

I expect our defense to hound McNabb as much as possible and I expect us to blitz him often and force him to swing it to the shorter routes. Stallworth won't be much of a threat if this is the case and with not being acclimated to McNabb and the offense, he won't adjust as well. We run the cover 2, something that McNabb had trouble against when they played Denver last year. Throughout preseason we were getting constant pressure on the QB. But that is where it ends. The Eagles are just more of a finely tuned unit than the Texans. For whatever it's worth, McNabb just finds a way to win. In comparison, Carr hasn't. The Eagles have won a lot of the close games, The Texans has lost a lot of the close games. McNabb typically doesn't do great against AFC teams, that's just a reach on my part however. Of course this is all based on past history and the Texans look completely different, but until we actually see a whole game to base things on, we are just going to have to take things slowly.

Our running game should be lights out, our whole offensive running game is clicking heading into the preseason. I know a lot of people put emphasis on Dominick Davis being out, but he's been out since last year and our coaching staff has made plans well in advance if Davis could not return so I am not concerned in this area. Add to that this offensive run blocking scheme allows running backs no matter who they are to excel. This is going to be a very interesting matchup with the Eagles line and a totally revamped Texans offensive line. If Carr can get some confidence early by completing a couple of roll out passes then we have a shot. If the Eagles break through this untested line, Carr will call his own number throughout the day and we know where that leads. One aspect of the game that will get overshadowed is KR. We have a threat in PBUC as he has good speed.

EaglesFanPhila
09-06-2006, 05:24 PM
That's it. I've had it with this garbage. This will be a beating of unmeasurable portions. McNabb might have over 400 yds passing. Buckhalter will have 120 yds rushing, and the final score will be 42-7.

That's it. :superman:

chuckm
09-06-2006, 05:25 PM
That's it. I've had it with this garbage. This will be a beating of unmeasurable portions. McNabb might have over 400 yds passing. Buckhalter will have 120 yds rushing, and the final score will be 42-7.

cool ... now that we've established that, go do your homework ....

BigDTexansFan
09-06-2006, 05:27 PM

AND I thought Dallas Cowboys only ones with a drug problem, or is that a mental problem:ok:

EaglesFanPhila
09-06-2006, 05:27 PM
cool ... now that we've established that, go do your homework ....
How'd you know. Actually I do have homework to do. I working on my Masters Degree!:yahoo:

Nawzer
09-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the enlightening post. Also much thanks for not "blowing sunshine up our butts".

texanfan2100
09-06-2006, 05:30 PM

How many games to you figure it'll take McNabb to get to his 400 yards passing - 'cause it's not happening on Sunday. It's kind of hard to pass for over 400 yards from the seat of your pants.

:fans: :texans: :texan:

EaglesFanPhila
09-06-2006, 05:37 PM
How many games to you figure it'll take McNabb to get to his 400 yards passing - 'cause it's not happening on Sunday. It's kind of hard to pass for over 400 yards from the seat of your pants.

I'll check back with you when the score is 35-7, Eagles, in the 3rd quarter.

Wolf
09-06-2006, 05:48 PM
PHILADELPHIA: Donovan McNabb missed seven games due to injury in 2005 and he's looking for a bounce-back season in 2006. McNabb, who led the Eagles to the playoffs from 2000-04, has been adept at protecting the ball throughout his career. His 2.24 interception percentage (66 INTs-2,943 attempts) ranks second in NFL history, trailing only Neil O'Donnell (2.11, 68-3,229) all-time. With 16 touchdown passes, McNabb will join Ron Jaworski (175) and Randall Cunningham (150) as the only players in franchise history to reach 150.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9640466

We better take advatage of any mistakes we get our mitts on:hunter:

Jerome_Brown_99
09-06-2006, 05:50 PM
I can see McNabb having a 350 yard, 3 TD kind of performance. The Texans DBs are awfull outside o Robinson, and I really think our OL will dominate their DL.

They have bigger DEs, and historically the Eagles OL has shut those kinds of guys down - it's the smaller, quicker guys that have given Rayburn and Thomas some trouble.

ronchalant
09-06-2006, 06:04 PM
I can see McNabb having a 350 yard, 3 TD kind of performance. The Texans DBs are awfull outside o Robinson, and I really think our OL will dominate their DL.

They have bigger DEs, and historically the Eagles OL has shut those kinds of guys down - it's the smaller, quicker guys that have given Rayburn and Thomas some trouble.
who's rayburn? :lol:

(Runyan)

The smaller quicker guys give [William] Thomas more trouble than Runyan normally.. though you see more of the quicker guys lining up at RDE .. Kearse is an exception.

southtexan
09-06-2006, 06:07 PM
who's rayburn? :lol:

(Runyan)

The smaller quicker guys give [William] Thomas more trouble than Runyan normally.. though you see more of the quicker guys lining up at RDE .. Kearse is an exception.
If I'm not mistaken Runyan is an ex-Oiler.

E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles
09-06-2006, 06:20 PM
If I'm not mistaken Runyan is an ex-Oiler.

he is. he came over the same year that kearse did from tennessee.

infantrycak
09-06-2006, 06:43 PM

Not an argument, just an FYI--the Texans have two DE's for pass rushing downs who are tweeners and used to be OLB's in our 3-4: Babin 6' 2" 259 lbs and Peek 6' 3" 250 lbs.

EF55
09-06-2006, 07:23 PM
You know, everything about this game other than the location says the Eagles should walk away with this game. However I see where the optimism comes from with these texan fans. I get a sense about Kubiak, however unproven he is as a head coach, that he will put a team on the field that at a minimum will find a way to be a difficult team to simply crush. I don't see how they would beat the Eagles but I understand the optimism of the fans. Still I think the eagles will absolutely crush the Texans.

FlyEaglesFly
09-06-2006, 07:26 PM

Yeah, I'm sure donnie fears that vaunted Texans pass rush....

Wolf
09-06-2006, 07:29 PM
EF you gotta understand that us fans are really excited. Offensively this is the most talent we have ever had on this side of ball and looking at our offense over the last few years doesn't say much but for me just having Moulds at #2 spot instead of Bradford and seeing actual TE's that we might use gets me going along with some coaches that are offensive minded.

Defensively on the DL we have alot of depth and that rotation is way better than what we had before .now the secondary scares me outside of D-rob

run-david-run
09-06-2006, 07:40 PM

Umm, maybe, kinda like Antwann Peek?

dat_boy_yec
09-06-2006, 07:44 PM
No, it isn't--the Texans have been a ZBS for 2 years now. In our 3rd year we will hopefully do it better (and with back side cut blocks) but we are not just now implementing it.

Considering who was implementing it before and how they really had no idea what they were doing, I would consider this the first serious implementing of the scheme for us.

powerfuldragon
09-06-2006, 08:00 PM
or even j. babin?

mattwill
09-06-2006, 08:31 PM
2 weeks ago, I would have agreed with you. However, today, I disagree.

The Stallworth addition makes a bigger impact than people think. A much bigger impact.

Yes, he has only been an Eagle for a week now. However, he stated at his first practice, that his knowledge of our offense was at about 60%. If he can get to 75% by gametime, that is more than adequate.

Basically, we just need him to stretch the field. If he can do that, that is more than enough. Phillys version of the WCO heavily depends on spreading the ball around. If Donte can show he can get open deep, it most likely draws at least a look from the safety.

If the safety is looking out there, it is going to leave a lot of space for LJ, Westbrook, Brown, and Avant (hopefully, I really want to see him in there)

I think people are heavily underestimating our offense. Which, I am not complaining about at all. I see a lot of Westbrook bashing by teams who have never really seen him. All they see is rushing stats, and immediately discredit him. Again though...that is fine by me.

I cant wait for Sunday already. :bananasplit:
Come on phillyfan, lets be realistic about Stallworth in the Texans game. As much as I want him to make an impact early and often, the reality is that he is feeling his way through the Eagles playbook right now. His big impact will come after the bye week. Until then the passing game will be in the verry capable hands of Reggie Brown, LJ Smith and Brian Westbrook.

mattwill
09-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Nice job on the write up. The field position issue won't be nearly as big of an issue on Sunday as it would have been if we had Mathis healthy. He was our only Pro Bowler last year and he had the speed to turn a kickoff into 6pts. The guys you see fielding the kicks this Sunday won't be the same threat Mathis was and they'll be relatively inexperienced. On punts you'll likely see Phillip Buchannon on returns. He's definately skilled in this area, and he's shown flashes while with the Raiders that he can make big plays back there.

You might see your WRs as a weakness, but you can take solace in the fact that our secondary is probably the weakest part of our team. DRob is far and away the best of the bunch. You'll see Sanders starting opposite of DRob, and despite a pretty good preseason he doesn't look like a starting caliber CB. Faggins started some last year at CB, but he, too, is hurt and won't be on the field Sunday. Buchannon has all the physical tools to be a very good CB in this league, but he simply hasn't shown it yet with the Texans. Last year he got picked on quite a bit. You'll likely see him come in on Nickel or Dime packages. He'll gamble some in coverage. Sometimes he makes the big play others he just gets burnt to a crisp. So far with he hasn't made many big plays for us, but we're hopeful that will change with a better pass rush. Earl is our starting SS, and he's a good solid starter. He is decent against the run, and he delivers a good pop. He's not as good in coverage as we'd like, and if he's left one on one with LJ I suspect LJ will leave him grasping at air. Brown is a 2nd year player who's starting at FS. He delivers a good pop as well, but he isn't suited to be a FS. He'd be better off as a backup at SS, but he's the best option we have there at the moment. The secondary is definately an area of weakness for us that we'll have to adress in the years to come.
tg346, when Westbrook wheels out of the backfield in a passing route, who do you believe the Texans will cover him with?

flylikeaneagle
09-06-2006, 08:42 PM
You guys are right about the Eagles having no tapes except for Kubiak at Denver and the vanilla preseason tapes to study. That and playing at home is a big advantage for Houston. One major reason I am saying the Eagles win by a TD.

flylikeaneagle
09-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Come on phillyfan, lets be realistic about Stallworth in the Texans game. As much as I want him to make an impact early and often, the reality is that he is feeling his way through the Eagles playbook right now. His big impact will come after the bye week. Until then the passing game will be in the verry capable hands of Reggie Brown, LJ Smith and Brian Westbrook.

Ditto. Smack talking is fun but we have to real here. We have somewhere around 25 new young players. It will take some time. Baby steps guys... baby steps. Let's see what these guys can do on Sunday and then you can hype them up.

mattwill
09-06-2006, 08:44 PM
I'll chime in...respectfully on this board after firing up the natives on theirs.

I expect our defense to hound McNabb as much as possible and I expect us to blitz him often and force him to swing it to the shorter routes. Stallworth won't be much of a threat if this is the case and with not being acclimated to McNabb and the offense, he won't adjust as well. We run the cover 2, something that McNabb had trouble against when they played Denver last year. Throughout preseason we were getting constant pressure on the QB. But that is where it ends. The Eagles are just more of a finely tuned unit than the Texans. For whatever it's worth, McNabb just finds a way to win. In comparison, Carr hasn't. The Eagles have won a lot of the close games, The Texans has lost a lot of the close games. McNabb typically doesn't do great against AFC teams, that's just a reach on my part however. Of course this is all based on past history and the Texans look completely different, but until we actually see a whole game to base things on, we are just going to have to take things slowly.

Our running game should be lights out, our whole offensive running game is clicking heading into the preseason. I know a lot of people put emphasis on Dominick Davis being out, but he's been out since last year and our coaching staff has made plans well in advance if Davis could not return so I am not concerned in this area. Add to that this offensive run blocking scheme allows running backs no matter who they are to excel. This is going to be a very interesting matchup with the Eagles line and a totally revamped Texans offensive line. If Carr can get some confidence early by completing a couple of roll out passes then we have a shot. If the Eagles break through this untested line, Carr will call his own number throughout the day and we know where that leads. One aspect of the game that will get overshadowed is KR. We have a threat in PBUC as he has good speed.
SES, the challenge your front four will face in trying to "hound McNabb" is that the Eagles' O-line is rather outstanding when it comes to pass blocking, and if the pressure on McNabb therefore is coming from blitzing LBs or DBs, the mismatches on Westbrook and LJ Smith could well be the Texans' undoing. I agree that if the Texans can pressure Donovan they will improve their chances of winning, but I don't see that happening given the Birds' massive and quick O-line.

flylikeaneagle
09-06-2006, 08:48 PM
look im not trying to start anything but what has your team done the last couple of years??? our d-line is one of the best in the league going up against your weak o-line. dont overlook the obvious here. and one poster said that our lbs are weak. well trotter is good, mccoy just flies to the ball, and well dhani is well dhani. but our d-line will make them better.

We were one of the worst Defenses last year so let's not bring that up. We had a lot of injuries but let's see what happens on Sunday. You really don't think their O-Line will be improved after the embarassment they had last year? C'mon now. I think our Eagles will take care of them but let's not bring up last year.... either team. This is a new year. Go Eagles.

E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles
09-06-2006, 08:53 PM
We were one of the worst Defenses last year so let's not bring that up. We had a lot of injuries but let's see what happens on Sunday. You really don't think their O-Line will be improved after the embarassment they had last year? C'mon now. I think our Eagles will take care of them but let's not bring up last year.... either team. This is a new year. Go Eagles.

yea we cant go jumping to conclusions. The texans have upgraded their O-line and D-line...as have we. We shall see what happens on Sunday.

texasguy346
09-06-2006, 09:23 PM
tg346, when Westbrook wheels out of the backfield in a passing route, who do you believe the Texans will cover him with?

Tough call on that one. I'd imagine you'll see a mix of guys on him. However, any guy we match him up with will be at a disadvantage. C.C. Brown has decent speed, but he's a second year player who's coverage skills aren't what you'd expect from an NFL FS. Greenwood played well at OLB back in Miami, but he had Zach Thomas beside him and Jason Taylor rushing the QB. My guess is you'll see Greenwood on him for the majority of the game. Shante Orr really isn't very good in coverage, and he doesn't have much in the way of range. Ryans has the most potential of all the LBs, and he's definately got great instincts & speed. However, he's a rookie, and I don't think he'll see much time on Westbrook in coverage. If the preseason is any indication you'll see him blitz quite a bit. When the Eagles are on offense be sure to pay attention to this kid. He brings the wood when he gets to the ball.

Pressure will be key in this game on both sides of the ball. If the Eagles are able to consistently pressure Carr he'll likely get rattled and the offense will be ineffective. If the Texans are able to pressure McNabb it will hide some of the weakness of our secondary. I like our chances at getting pressure on McNabb when we bring in Peek & Babin at the DE and move Mario & TJ/Weaver inside to DT. Peek has beat some of the better LTs in this league, and as a situational pass rusher he's a beast. He is a bit of a hot head though, and he has had more than his share of penalties. However, the rush from the base 4-3 formation will probably rely alot on blitzing & with blitzing comes opportunities down field for McNabb. One of the changes I've noticed in the defense this season is their agressiveness & how they all flock to the ball. Something we haven't seen previously with them. It's many times better than our "read, think, check, react" defense that Pendry used while he was here. There are a lot of young guys out there, and with inexperience comes mistakes. So they'll have to play a great game to for the Texans to get a win that goes for the offense too.

Jerome_Brown_99
09-06-2006, 11:22 PM

No - more along the lines of Dwight Freeney, Rice, Osi, etc.

Vinny
09-06-2006, 11:48 PM
tg346, when Westbrook wheels out of the backfield in a passing route, who do you believe the Texans will cover him with?I figure we devote a nickel back to him most of the time and we are in a huge mismatch situation when we are in our regular sets. Orr is a converted DL tweener out of college who is too slow to cover him and Brown doesn't have the speed either. HUGE advantage Eagles on this one.

flylikeaneagle
09-07-2006, 08:21 AM
Crazy that Houston does not have a legit running back.

GP
09-07-2006, 08:31 AM
Crazy that Houston does not have a legit running back.

LOL. Go and see how many fantasy footballers will be picking up Wali Lundy or Vernand Morency after the Eagles game.

I am really liking how over-confident you guys are. I hope your team is the same way. Because if they are, then they will be walking out of Houston with a severe migraine Sunday evening.

Just sit back and watch. You'll have the benefit of being able to tell your Eagles pals: "Yeah, they told me those two guys were good. they told me the line was better. And man, it was pretty good."

You should have to pay us money for the information you are getting on this board.

flylikeaneagle
09-07-2006, 08:39 AM
LOL. Go and see how many fantasy footballers will be picking up Wali Lundy or Vernand Morency after the Eagles game.

I am really liking how over-confident you guys are. I hope your team is the same way. Because if they are, then they will be walking out of Houston with a severe migraine Sunday evening.

Just sit back and watch. You'll have the benefit of being able to tell your Eagles pals: "Yeah, they told me those two guys were good. they told me the line was better. And man, it was pretty good."

You should have to pay us money for the information you are getting on this board.

Overly confident. I picked the Eagles to win by a touchdown or less. That is not over confident. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No, the Eagles football team is taking this team seriously. Don't you listen to the press conferences and interviews? Come on now.... this is opening week. Get your head in the game. Yes, Lundy looks like he is going to be a great player in this league right now but he is only a rookie. How many rookie RBs do you know make that big of an impact his first year? Not many.

allez_aigles
09-07-2006, 08:50 AM
EF you gotta understand that us fans are really excited. Offensively this is the most talent we have ever had on this side of ball and looking at our offense over the last few years doesn't say much but for me just having Moulds at #2 spot instead of Bradford and seeing actual TE's that we might use gets me going along with some coaches that are offensive minded.

Defensively on the DL we have alot of depth and that rotation is way better than what we had before .now the secondary scares me outside of D-rob

Wolf - I wanted to quote you since this was how I felt about the Eagles in 2000 in McNabb's first full year as a starter. As I stated in my first post - I think the biggest problem the Texans will face at this point will be with the familiarity of both the new offense and the defense. Mistakes are going to be made and the Eagles are pretty good at taking advantage of them.

That said - I want to see a competitive game.

Someone mentioned that the Eagles have struggled against AFC teams. Boy was that ever true in 2003. One thing to keep in mind though is that up until recently most of the 3-4 defenses we faced were from AFC teams. The Eagles have struggled in blocking the 3-4. They should be better against the 4-3 - but you as was demonstrated last year by the Giants. If the DT are not creating pressure up the middle and can either be taken out of a play by scheming or by one-on-one blocking then teams can double up on the DEs. That hurt the Giants last year and made their secondary look bad. So a key in this game will be pressure brought by your DTs. Jim Johnson has faced this with the Eagles and that is part of the reason he blitzes from so many different positions. It forces an O-line to have to honor the LBs and the DBs a bit more and this helps the DL get more pressure. Many of our fans are excited about Howard since he seems to be the first legit RDE that can play every down since Hugh Dougles was in his prime. Now seems to be - needs to turn into action on the field.

PhillyFan
09-07-2006, 08:56 AM
I simulated 5 games in Madden 07 last night.

All were Texans vs. Eagles, and all were using current rosters.

The closest the Texans came to winning any of the games was Eagles 21, Texans 17.

All of the rest had the Eagles winning by more than 12.

Just figured I would share my delusional fantasies, and inpertinent video game information...like it matters for anything :p

PhillyFan
09-07-2006, 08:59 AM
Wolf - I wanted to quote you since this was how I felt about the Eagles in 2000 in McNabb's first full year as a starter. As I stated in my first post - I think the biggest problem the Texans will face at this point will be with the familiarity of both the new offense and the defense. Mistakes are going to be made and the Eagles are pretty good at taking advantage of them.

That said - I want to see a competitive game.

Someone mentioned that the Eagles have struggled against AFC teams. Boy was that ever true in 2003. One thing to keep in mind though is that up until recently most of the 3-4 defenses we faced were from AFC teams. The Eagles have struggled in blocking the 3-4. They should be better against the 4-3 - but you as was demonstrated last year by the Giants. If the DT are not creating pressure up the middle and can either be taken out of a play by scheming or by one-on-one blocking then teams can double up on the DEs. That hurt the Giants last year and made their secondary look bad. So a key in this game will be pressure brought by your DTs. Jim Johnson has faced this with the Eagles and that is part of the reason he blitzes from so many different positions. It forces an O-line to have to honor the LBs and the DBs a bit more and this helps the DL get more pressure. Many of our fans are excited about Howard since he seems to be the first legit RDE that can play every down since Hugh Dougles was in his prime. Now seems to be - needs to turn into action on the field.

A big reason we struggled against the 3-4 was Fraley. He had real problems directly taking on a NT. Because of that, the A gaps were exposed, and people had to roll over to help out, leaving DE's and LB's free to rush the QB.

That was always why there was pressure from a 3-4. I dont expect Jackson to have a similar weakness, simply due to sheer size. Its going to be hard to hit a gap thats filled with fat offensive linemen :p

allez_aigles
09-07-2006, 09:04 AM
A big reason we struggled against the 3-4 was Fraley. He had real problems directly taking on a NT. Because of that, the A gaps were exposed, and people had to roll over to help out, leaving DE's and LB's free to rush the QB.

That was always why there was pressure from a 3-4. I dont expect Jackson to have a similar weakness, simply due to sheer size. Its going to be hard to hit a gap thats filled with fat offensive linemen :p

Part of that is true. But I saw plenty of instances where a LB came on a delayed blitz or a LB ran around the DE who locked up on the OT and the guards failed to adjust to it. It wasn't always up the middle but those are the plays that made the ESPN highlight reels. I was just making the point - that in several of the AFC losses we were facing a 3-4. I should also point out that in several of those AFC losses we were also facing veteran experienced QBs that know how to win. The Colts game where Mungro got his first start still drives me nuts. Manning ate us apart.

PhillyFan
09-07-2006, 09:10 AM
Part of that is true. But I saw plenty of instances where a LB came on a delayed blitz or a LB ran around the DE who locked up on the OT and the guards failed to adjust to it. It wasn't always up the middle but those are the plays that made the ESPN highlight reels. I was just making the point - that in several of the AFC losses we were facing a 3-4. I should also point out that in several of those AFC losses we were also facing veteran experienced QBs that know how to win. The Colts game where Mungro got his first start still drives me nuts. Manning ate us apart.

Mungro killed us. I remember that we were all happy that Edge wasnt playing....

That kid knocked us out for real :p

Yah, a lot of the AFC teams that give us fits are 3-4 teams. The Steelers, Pats, Broncos, etc...

You can also attribute a lot of 3-4 problems to McNabb and the receivers. You see a lot of teams that kill the 3-4 offensively are good with hot routes. The Eagles arent...we have never really been great with slants, or getting the ball away fast when it needs to be. We can run those plays fine when they are scripted...but cant seem to do it consistently on the fly.

Im glad Houston switched to a 4-3. I think we will have a much easier time getting the offense moving. We shall see once McNabb warms up. And we will also see how slow we start out

TEXANRED
09-07-2006, 09:21 AM
I think this is going to be a close game. The teams are similar in a lot of areas. Eagle have a better D with more depth in there secondary and LB than we do. I will disagree about he D line. I think the Texans have a better line. As far as the O line is concerned they will surprise a lot of people this year with the Zone blocking scheme and having Sherman coaching them. Some have stated the Eagle D line will have Carr running but I don't think that will be the case.

Reading the comment about QB's who know how to win, Carr's record sucks and I can see the angle you are going. Kubiak is going to be Carr's X factor. Kubiak knows how to win, won 3 superbowls. Carr has the potential to be a winner and Kubiak will instill that in him. Carr will take his first steps into becoming a winner against the Eagles this weekend.

Don't think of it as losing to the Texans but helping out another human being and his career.:shades:

ronchalant
09-07-2006, 09:28 AM
I simulated 5 games in Madden 07 last night.

All were Texans vs. Eagles, and all were using current rosters.

The closest the Texans came to winning any of the games was Eagles 21, Texans 17.

All of the rest had the Eagles winning by more than 12.

Just figured I would share my delusional fantasies, and inpertinent video game information...like it matters for anything :p
First I'd mention that I find madden 07 to be a horrible football game. I rent it every year and am never impressed, I was a 2k guy.

I have it rented now, and in one of the formations if you call an audible the buttons for the receivers are simply wrong .. if I hit the 'Y' it's supposed to go to Westbrook, but it goes to the fullback (who is out on the opposite flat).. if I hit 'RB' (right button, XBox 360) it is supposed to go to the fullback, but it hits the center in the back. :shoot:

Anyways.... where do you get updated rosters? I wasn't able to find it anywhere, checked all the live options and saw no new downloads for rosters..

SESupergenius
09-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Mungro killed us. I remember that we were all happy that Edge wasnt playing....

That kid knocked us out for real :p

Yah, a lot of the AFC teams that give us fits are 3-4 teams. The Steelers, Pats, Broncos, etc...

You can also attribute a lot of 3-4 problems to McNabb and the receivers. You see a lot of teams that kill the 3-4 offensively are good with hot routes. The Eagles arent...we have never really been great with slants, or getting the ball away fast when it needs to be. We can run those plays fine when they are scripted...but cant seem to do it consistently on the fly.

Im glad Houston switched to a 4-3. I think we will have a much easier time getting the offense moving. We shall see once McNabb warms up. And we will also see how slow we start outThe Texans still run a 3-4 package from time to time, so your offense if going to unsteady for the 1st few series.

flylikeaneagle
09-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Dawk at LB, Considine at FS, Cole at DE, and Howard at DT will be interesting.

TreachX
09-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Reading the comment about QB's who know how to win, Carr's record sucks and I can see the angle you are going. Kubiak is going to be Carr's X factor. Kubiak knows how to win, won 3 superbowls. Carr has the potential to be a winner and Kubiak will instill that in him. Carr will take his first steps into becoming a winner against the Eagles this weekend.

And as I've said, it isn't all the coach. If it was, then the Browns under Romeo Crennel would have been just as good as the Patriots defense had been.

And back in the day, Norv Turner was held in high esteem as a guy who could develop young QBs into stars because of the work he had done with Troy Aikman. They thought that under his guidance, Heath Shuler would become a star. Well, as it turns out, Troy Aikman happened to be a great player, and Shuler wasn't, so it doesn't matter who his coach was.

I realize that Jake Plummer had his best season last year, but Plummer was somewhat established in the league, and had a playoff victory to his credit. Don't automatically think that Kubiak is going to make Carr into a star.

mattwill
09-07-2006, 11:33 AM
Tough call on that one. I'd imagine you'll see a mix of guys on him. However, any guy we match him up with will be at a disadvantage. C.C. Brown has decent speed, but he's a second year player who's coverage skills aren't what you'd expect from an NFL FS. Greenwood played well at OLB back in Miami, but he had Zach Thomas beside him and Jason Taylor rushing the QB. My guess is you'll see Greenwood on him for the majority of the game. Shante Orr really isn't very good in coverage, and he doesn't have much in the way of range. Ryans has the most potential of all the LBs, and he's definately got great instincts & speed. However, he's a rookie, and I don't think he'll see much time on Westbrook in coverage. If the preseason is any indication you'll see him blitz quite a bit. When the Eagles are on offense be sure to pay attention to this kid. He brings the wood when he gets to the ball.

Pressure will be key in this game on both sides of the ball. If the Eagles are able to consistently pressure Carr he'll likely get rattled and the offense will be ineffective. If the Texans are able to pressure McNabb it will hide some of the weakness of our secondary. I like our chances at getting pressure on McNabb when we bring in Peek & Babin at the DE and move Mario & TJ/Weaver inside to DT. Peek has beat some of the better LTs in this league, and as a situational pass rusher he's a beast. He is a bit of a hot head though, and he has had more than his share of penalties. However, the rush from the base 4-3 formation will probably rely alot on blitzing & with blitzing comes opportunities down field for McNabb. One of the changes I've noticed in the defense this season is their agressiveness & how they all flock to the ball. Something we haven't seen previously with them. It's many times better than our "read, think, check, react" defense that Pendry used while he was here. There are a lot of young guys out there, and with inexperience comes mistakes. So they'll have to play a great game to for the Texans to get a win that goes for the offense too.
I think you're right, especially about the pressure. If the Texans can keep the pressure on, passing plays with Westbrook as the primary target will be minimized. If the Eagles can run lots of pass plays for Westbrook, the Texans will be in trouble.

mattwill
09-07-2006, 11:42 AM

You've made a good point about overconfidence gp. However, after the real come-down of a 6-10 season after the Super Bowl, I think it is fair to say that the Eagles players will be hungry ... very hungry. I don't expect that the overconfidence of fans will reflect in any way on the attitude of the players. When you look at the Eagles really brutal December schedule, it is easy to see why they will take every early game very very seriously. That murderers row of December games will cause some losses that probably would be wins if they weren't back to back to back to back with three other really tough games.

jmerog
09-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Funny, it'll be even funnier after we hurt your rush D ranking.

Yessir-Talk that smack.

TEXANRED
09-07-2006, 02:58 PM
And as I've said, it isn't all the coach. If it was, then the Browns under Romeo Crennel would have been just as good as the Patriots defense had been.

And back in the day, Norv Turner was held in high esteem as a guy who could develop young QBs into stars because of the work he had done with Troy Aikman. They thought that under his guidance, Heath Shuler would become a star. Well, as it turns out, Troy Aikman happened to be a great player, and Shuler wasn't, so it doesn't matter who his coach was.

I realize that Jake Plummer had his best season last year, but Plummer was somewhat established in the league, and had a playoff victory to his credit. Don't automatically think that Kubiak is going to make Carr into a star.
Steve Young-Superbowl, John Elway-two superbowls, Jake Plummer (who was just like Carr when he left Arizona) AFC championship game.

Its gonna be a good year. Its gonna start out rocky, but its gonna be a good year for the whole team.

allez_aigles
09-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Steve Young-Superbowl,Jake Plummer (who was just like Carr when he left Arizona) AFC championship game.

Its gonna be a good year. Its gonna start out rocky, but its gonna be a good year for the whole team.

I don't know if I agree with you there. Plummer never seemed to lose his nerve when he was in AZ. Heck I hated playing the Cards when he was there. He earned the name 'Jake-the-Snake' (yes I know it was borrowed from TV wrassling) because he didn't lose his cool and was rather slippery behind a porous O-line. Carr as a top pick had more pressure on him than Plummer and I think he has reacted to it more.

Hey I would like to see your team become competitive this year. I want to see a tough fought out game this weekend. But moving Plummer to Denver didn't make Plummer a tough QB to defend against. Moving Plummer to Denver just gave him a better O-line - a better defense and some form of a running threat. All of that made Plummer a more successful QB - but I am not sure you can say it made him any better than he already was.

furferret2
09-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Can we get a count to when the Texans receive a harsh and thorough beating?

HOU-TEX
09-07-2006, 04:28 PM
Can we get a count to when the Texans receive a harsh and thorough beating?

:confused:

jamiethekiller
09-10-2006, 11:16 PM
so how 'bout them eagles