PDA

View Full Version : Someone from ESPN actually complimented the Texans...crazy

Big J
09-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Jeremy Green's podcast talks about who he thinks will win the "hardware" this year, and he picked for the Defensive ROY as DeMeco Ryans. I was shocked. If Shaun Salisbary was doing one he would pick Offensive ROY: Reggie Bush....Defensive ROY: Reggie Bush...."he just so good...". That guy needs to be fired ASAP.

Green said that DeMeco is smart, fast, and always in the right place. Compared him to Denver's Mike. Just wanted to let everyone know we are getting some respect.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/index?&lpos=globalnav&lid=gn_NFL_NFL

then go to the Experts Pick box and select Jeremy Green's 1st and 15.

HoustonFan
09-04-2006, 07:40 PM
:yikes: wow a compliment from someone on ESPN. :cool: I could see Demeco as DROY.

texflex513
09-04-2006, 07:53 PM
Jeremy Green's podcast talks about who he thinks will win the "hardware" this year, and he picked for the Defensive ROY as DeMeco Ryans. I was shocked. If Shaun Salisbary was doing one he would pick Offensive ROY: Reggie Bush....Defensive ROY: Reggie Bush...."he just so good...". That guy needs to be fired ASAP.

Green said that DeMeco is smart, fast, and always in the right place. Compared him to Denver's Mike. Just wanted to let everyone know we are getting some respect.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/index?&lpos=globalnav&lid=gn_NFL_NFL

then go to the Experts Pick box and select Jeremy Green's 1st and 15.

Salisbury's pink slip is way overdue lol! this creep is just fantasizing about having beggie rush to hand off to back in his playing (daze)

sakebomb
09-04-2006, 08:19 PM
There was a dude on Cold Pizza that gave us some props as well.

TexanExile
09-04-2006, 09:29 PM
Adam Schein and Solomon Wilcots (SIRIUS NFL Radio) picked DeMeco and Mario, respectively, as 2006 DROY on their "Afternoon Drive" show this afternoon. "When in doubt, pick a Texan," Schein joked when they picked separate Texans for the award.

According to the posts above, other pundits don't see Houston's defensive talent. Frankly, I don't care. I'll be closely watching all 16 games this year, which is about 16 more than they will...and I'll be seeing that talent.

Grid
09-04-2006, 09:36 PM
Its important to remember that when someone compliments a rookie..they are complimenting them, and thier college.. not the professional team they are playing on.

A couple years down the road..if they compliment a player, THEN they are complimenting the pro team.

TexanBacker93
09-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Salisbury's pink slip is way overdue lol! this creep is just fantasizing about having beggie rush to hand off to back in his playing (daze)

I don't remember him actually getting much playing time. I'm thinking it would have been his job to bring Reggie water between offensive series.

LORK 88
09-05-2006, 11:17 AM
I never thought someone other than Michael Smith would ever give us a compliment . . .

Vinny
09-05-2006, 11:22 AM
I never thought someone other than Michael Smith would ever give us a compliment . . .We've never been .500 and was the worst team in the league last year....no reason to gloss compliments our way when 31 other teams have been better than us. The time to prove we aren't the worst team in the league starts Sunday. If we play better, we will start to get compliments, If we don't we won't. Preseason means nothing and reality kicks in soon...thankfully. :wild:

powerfuldragon
09-05-2006, 12:10 PM
We've never been .500 and was the worst team in the league last year....no reason to gloss compliments our way when 31 other teams have been better than us. The time to prove we aren't the worst team in the league starts Sunday. If we play better, we will start to get compliments, If we don't we won't. Preseason means nothing and reality kicks in soon...thankfully. :wild:
wait... is this rational thinking i'm seeing on this MB?? impossible.

Second Honeymoon
09-05-2006, 12:47 PM
wait... is this rational thinking i'm seeing on this MB?? impossible.

Exactly. It's not ESPN's fault that the Texans cant convert on 3rd down. It's not ESPN's fault that the organization makes brain dead decisions one after another. It's not ESPN's fault that the Texans have been a poor product for their fans during their first 4 seasons. It's not ESPN's fault that the Texans have a high school quarterback starting for them. Why doesn't everyone stop blaming ESPN and the national pundits for their own dismal observations of the Texans? Try blaming the people who were in charge like Casserley, Carr, Kubiak, and McNair.

I know, I know, some people think it may be a little too early to blame Kubiak for anything, but fact is that his 2 most important decisions so far have not worked out for him at all. Kubes Passes on Bush because he says Davis is good enough and then dude doesn't even play a down. Then he anoints Carr as the starter without competition, only to see Carr perform like a nervous high school quarterback. I bet Kubiak is finally getting an up close and personal look at Carr and how horrible he is. Sad thing is that most real football fans of the Texans have seen the same thing for 4 years and are sick of it. I wonder if Kubiak still holds the same 'love' for Carr that he professed during his interview and introduction... but I am sure that anointing Carr as the starter was a prerequisite for any Head Coaching job with the Texans....

anywho, here is to hoping that the Texans D continues to impress and we can overcome our deficiencies at QB and OL and prove ESPN wrong. Some dude had them going 3-13....worst case scenario is 5-11 and best case 10-6 (if Carr shows a pulse)

doug from the woodlands

El Tejano
09-05-2006, 12:59 PM
Let's keep in mind that 7 other coaches and coordinators had the same opinion of Carr that Kubiak had.

The other thing is, remember that even though this ship never sailed, there is a rebuilding in progress here.

Also, take a look around and you will see that guys that were here last year found themselves on a bus home. If Carr isn't cutting it, I do not think that Kubiak will not hesitate to pull him. That is also a way a young QB learns.

eriadoc
09-05-2006, 01:09 PM
I know, I know, some people think it may be a little too early to blame Kubiak for anything, but fact is that his 2 most important decisions so far have not worked out for him at all.

doug from the woodlands

Oh, well since you said so ......

bigTEXan8
09-05-2006, 01:16 PM
I like Ryans, and that's why I drafted him in my fantasy league...he'll have a good chance at winning the DROY.

Ckw
09-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Exactly. It's not ESPN's fault that the Texans cant convert on 3rd down. It's not ESPN's fault that the organization makes brain dead decisions one after another. It's not ESPN's fault that the Texans have been a poor product for their fans during their first 4 seasons. It's not ESPN's fault that the Texans have a high school quarterback starting for them. Why doesn't everyone stop blaming ESPN and the national pundits for their own dismal observations of the Texans? Try blaming the people who were in charge like Casserley, Carr, Kubiak, and McNair.

I know, I know, some people think it may be a little too early to blame Kubiak for anything, but fact is that his 2 most important decisions so far have not worked out for him at all. Kubes Passes on Bush because he says Davis is good enough and then dude doesn't even play a down. Then he anoints Carr as the starter without competition, only to see Carr perform like a nervous high school quarterback. I bet Kubiak is finally getting an up close and personal look at Carr and how horrible he is. Sad thing is that most real football fans of the Texans have seen the same thing for 4 years and are sick of it. I wonder if Kubiak still holds the same 'love' for Carr that he professed during his interview and introduction... but I am sure that anointing Carr as the starter was a prerequisite for any Head Coaching job with the Texans....

anywho, here is to hoping that the Texans D continues to impress and we can overcome our deficiencies at QB and OL and prove ESPN wrong. Some dude had them going 3-13....worst case scenario is 5-11 and best case 10-6 (if Carr shows a pulse)

doug from the woodlands
Sir, what you have just written is the most insanely, idiotic thing I have ever read. Sorry...Billy Madison reference. But really, are you watching the same Texans I have been watching. Look, I'll be the first to admit that our offense looked anything but stellar in the Broncos game, but your claim that Kubiak's big two decisions have been mistakes is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. I mean, you are sitting by your computer judging a team and basically calling our coach an idiot when we are making more progress in one preseason than we have in our entire previous four years of existence?!? Brain dead decisions? We had, according to most, one of the best drafts in the NFL. Granted, everyone slammed us for not drafting Reggie "His Highness" Bush, but have you been watching our 6th round pick Wali Lundy? Have you compared his stats to Sir Bush? Call me crazy but I get the drift you are a disgruntled Bush supporter, Reggie Bush that is, who still can't get over the fact that we didn't draft your boy. Why don't you just wait and see what we can do? Until then, why don't you just let us all enjoy the best preseason we have ever had, and allow us to have high hopes for this season. You aren't looking at the same Texans, and it is you, sir, who is not the real football fan. Actually let me rephrase that: It is you, sir, who is not the real Texans fan. :brickwall

Double Barrel
09-05-2006, 02:05 PM
If Shaun Salisbary was doing one he would pick Offensive ROY: Reggie Bush....Defensive ROY: Reggie Bush...."he just so good...".

Not a big fan of Salisbury, either. His flip-flopping on the TO issue for the past couple of years gets on my nerves. Stick to breaking down film and analyzing on-field activities, and leave the gossip smack to the pundits. For some reason(s), dude just annoys me....

That being said, I've got to go with Vinny's take. We were 2-14 last year, never had a winning record, and are bottom-dwellers. If anyone in the nat'l media were to compliment the Texans at this point, I'd suggest they get their head checked.

Teams earn respect in the NFL, and I don't want any until the Texans have earned it.

I know, I know, some people think it may be a little too early to blame Kubiak for anything, but fact is that his 2 most important decisions so far have not worked out for him at all.

I know some fans have a glass half empty, but I'm wondering if doug from the woodlands has anything in his glass at all. Why not wait until the regular season pans out before calling Kubiak a bust? Or, if you must, Academy is selling Saints Bush jerseys and Titans Young jerseys, so follow your heart! It's obviously not with the Houston Texans.

jerek
09-05-2006, 02:12 PM
I know some fans have a glass half empty, but I'm wondering if doug from the woodlands has anything in his glass at all. Why not wait until the regular season pans out before calling Kubiak a bust? Or, if you must, Academy is selling Saints Bush jerseys and Titans Young jerseys, so follow your heart! It's obviously not with the Houston Texans.

Not real sure what David Carr did to him, but I'm suspecting it was a playground beating from years ago. Or something. There's something very psychologically odd about his apparent obsession.

TEXANRED
09-05-2006, 02:20 PM

Didn't Salisbary have a short stint with the Oilers? For some reason I thought he did and got cut.

Maybe he is still bitter?

Big J
09-05-2006, 02:45 PM

doug from the woodlands

My earlier comment in no way meant to say we deserve the public's and the "All Knowing" ESPN analyst's respect. However, for those of you who watch ESPN, NFL Live, etc. know that Shaun Salisbary and others are insistent on calling the Texan's organization stupid for their decision to pass on Reggie Bush for Mario Williams. Why do they do it? Alot of possible reasons - They are out of material, we WERE the worst team in the league, and we went against "every" (aka ESPN's) opinion.

My post was to point out that DeMeco Ryans has been given credit on his play preseason (rightfully so) and that ESPN has to many volatile analyst's.

As for Shaun Salisbary, my opinion stands that he is horrible. Someone more competent on NFL live would be great.

TexansFanatic
09-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Didn't Salisbary have a short stint with the Oilers? For some reason I thought he did and got cut.

Maybe he is still bitter?

Yes, that painfully poor quarterback was signed as a free agent by the Oilers in 1994....

TheOgre
09-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Yes, that painfully poor quarterback was signed as a free agent by the Oilers in 1994....

And wasn't he cut before the season even started?

Wolf
09-05-2006, 09:40 PM
yeah and you were talking loud and proud after the 2004 season

Ye Olde Pro
09-05-2006, 09:46 PM
Lemme see....did Salisbury actually see any playing time??? Funny, I don't remember anybody shouting his name from the rooftops! Ignore him, he's a knuckle head. As for the fair weather fans, get a firm grip on your remote controls and find the channel that your team is playing on. It certainly isn't here!

I pay about as much attention to ESPN as I did to my ex-wife! Please, this is the same bunch that features Mel Kiper for crying out loud. Besides, if you aren't a team in one of the big three markets, you don't get a whole lot of coverage from them anyway! Hell Rothlisberger didn't get any serious play until he smashed his bike, and he was Super Bowl Champ!

Second Honeymoon
09-05-2006, 09:53 PM
My earlier comment in no way meant to say we deserve the public's and the "All Knowing" ESPN analyst's respect. However, for those of you who watch ESPN, NFL Live, etc. know that Shaun Salisbary and others are insistent on calling the Texan's organization stupid for their decision to pass on Reggie Bush for Mario Williams. Why do they do it? Alot of possible reasons - They are out of material, we WERE the worst team in the league, and we went against "every" (aka ESPN's) opinion.

My post was to point out that DeMeco Ryans has been given credit on his play preseason (rightfully so) and that ESPN has to many volatile analyst's.

As for Shaun Salisbary, my opinion stands that he is horrible. Someone more competent on NFL live would be great.

Salisbury is a joke. That dude got his start doing BattleBots on Comedy Central....nuff said.

oh and as for his time with our beloved Oilers, he was a joke and worthless as a QB..kinda reminds me of another worthless california QB we presently have here in Houston....

doug ftw

Big J
09-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Salisbury is a joke. That dude got his start doing BattleBots on Comedy Central....nuff said.

oh and as for his time with our beloved Oilers, he was a joke and worthless as a QB..kinda reminds me of another worthless california QB we presently have here in Houston....

doug ftw

Battle Bots....he was seriously on that....holy crap. That is classic.

Wolf
09-05-2006, 10:03 PM
well second honeymoon, I tried to look up you history but this website didn't show your first post. I did see an earlier post but like always *yawn*

Second Honeymoon
09-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Battle Bots....he was seriously on that....holy crap. That is classic.

Yup he was on it with that 'comedian' from Last Comic Standing (who lost) Bill Dwyer or something....Salisbury was so lame on BattleBots but to be honest, he has pretty much the same demeanor. YOu know what I mean, that frothing at the mouth gaze right before something really stupid comes out of his mouth. I am sure anyone who has watched 5 seconds of Salisbury knows that look.

His love for Bush is unequaled and although I would have taken Bush, I dont think he is a sure thing. I just thought he was more of a sure thing than Mario. And Lord knows, we need sure things and people that can make plays. Regretfully I havent seen a whole lot of love out of Mario and one thing I don't like so far is that he is always standing at the end of a play. That can be good and bad but it seems like he doesnt make too much of an impact. But after all its just preseason and at least that 'infected toe' injury doesnt seem to affect him....

TEXANRED
09-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Yup he was on it with that 'comedian' from Last Comic Standing (who lost) Bill Dwyer or something....Salisbury was so lame on BattleBots but to be honest, he has pretty much the same demeanor. YOu know what I mean, that frothing at the mouth gaze right before something really stupid comes out of his mouth. I am sure anyone who has watched 5 seconds of Salisbury knows that look.

His love for Bush is unequaled and although I would have taken Bush, I don't think he is a sure thing. I just thought he was more of a sure thing than Mario. And Lord knows, we need sure things and people that can make plays. Regretfully I haven't seen a whole lot of love out of Mario and one thing I don't like so far is that he is always standing at the end of a play. That can be good and bad but it seems like he doesn't make too much of an impact. But after all its just preseason and at least that 'infected toe' injury doesn't seem to affect him....
I have to admit I like Salisbury. He is quite entertaining and when they used to do that segment where him and, whats that guys name with the glasses? Looks kinda nerdish? When Salisbury would lay into him and tell him how wrong he was, that was hilarious. They don't do that segment any more.

As for his Bush love fest, thats the whole media. Mark S.(I can't spell his last name) defends the Williams pick. Wingo is no better when it comes to Bush. I just kinda shrug. I don't care anymore. I am to busy being concerned about Winston not beating out Wiegert for the starting RT position. Could it be Winston or just Kubiak not wanting to start two rookie bookends?

kcwilson
09-06-2006, 03:42 PM
I know there is a lot of recent talk about not getting much respect from the media, which I feel is deservedly absent.

Web/Print articles are easily referenced and easily archived... but I have posted a few times and heard many times the complements we have received on radio, mostly from interviews on the ESPN radio shows.

Patrick Ramsey, Colin Cowhert, and a few others have all said that the Texans are up and coming, a team to look out for, a team to surprise.

It is easy to look at the negative articles and cry "whoa is us! no one likes us." But there is also a lot of positives about this team and it just sucks to see everyone whining that they don't see the world through 'Texans' shaded glasses.

There is another thread about leaving Kubiak off an SI poll. Wah. Bunch of whiners claiming we get no respect. Last I checked, respect was something you earned, not heaped upon you undeservedly.

Until we start winning, it would be nice to just turn a blind eye to the nay-sayers and remember to quote it back to them when we prove them wrong.