PDA

View Full Version : Predict if you'll see poise from Carr this week

Marcus
09-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Go ahead. Make a prediction.

Do you think you'll see an improvement from what you saw in preseason? And will your prediction go hand in hand with your prediction of the final score?

Fire away. :shoot:

kbourda
09-04-2006, 06:26 PM
The only prediction on Carr that I will make is............ I predict that I will hope to see improvement from Carr.

texflex513
09-04-2006, 06:26 PM

Do you think you'll see an improvement from what you saw in preseason? And will your prediction go hand in hand with your prediction of the final score?

I expect it...I truly think david is ready to go. 27 -14 texans... carr will throw 1 td and run for another... with 235 yards passing....and 1 interception....moulds slips and falls on that pass:homer:

The Pencil Neck
09-04-2006, 06:31 PM
I don't expect Carr to look good in this game. Kubiak hasn't finished "fixing" him, yet, and the Eagle's D is a hard D to get mentally healthy against.

If we're going to win this game, our running game is going to have to step up (including Carr on the roll outs and boots) and our D is going to have to shut down the Eagle's short passing game. We can't give the Eagles O a short field to work with because that's how the Eagles have been successful in the past.

If we're going to win this, I expect us to win ugly.

blockhead83
09-04-2006, 06:36 PM
I agree with Pencil Neck. It's hard to look poised when you have Jevon Kearse and Darren Howard coming off the edges. The Eagles defense is going to get pressure, Carr will look uncomfortable in the pocket. That's why we're going to have to use roll outs as well as play action passes set up by a solid running game to give us a fighting chance. Maybe he'll show some poise next week. ;)

chuckm
09-04-2006, 06:37 PM
I predict that if we don't see an NFL QB in him by the bye week, we'll see a change ...

Texanfan4ever
09-04-2006, 06:44 PM
I agree with Blockhead, but I think Kubiak knows all that, and he will give him some plays that he can work with. My toes & fingers are crossed and I'm holding my breath. That's the way I start EVERY game.

Do you think we will see a lot of plays we didnt get to see in pre-season, and if so, what do you think they might be?

The Pencil Neck
09-04-2006, 06:44 PM
I predict that if we don't see an NFL QB in him by the bye week, we'll see a change ...

Well, you know, the Eagles, Colts, Dolphins, and Redskins have defenses that make even the best quarterbacks look a little shaky. We've got a new scheme with a couple of rookies playing. We're going to see some blown assignments.

I hope we see DC step it up and own these guys but I'll be pretty happy if he just shows some marked improvement by the Redskin game.

And then he HAS to come out and own the Cowgirls. He HAS to.... cause I'll be in the damn stands with my Domanick Davis jersey on.

Ye Olde Pro
09-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Against the Eagles? Could be. Kearse has a tendencey to over pursue, so against the rollout, Carr has a legit shot at it. Why? Because I think he'll be hesitant to throw the ball away!

I like Carr, I really do. I believe that if WE as fans, are patient enough with him he will settle down nicely by mid season. Kid has the tools, now all he needs is the confidence that he won't be on his butt every play.

phan1
09-04-2006, 07:14 PM
To be honest, I was hoping for a greatly new and improved Carr a month ago, but seeing preseason has put me back down on earth. There's just no evidence that Carr is "new and improved." And we're talking about Eagles D here. I fully expect a very tough game with either our D or our running game going to have to come up really big for us. Carr ain't going to look poised and confident until I actually see him do it. Hopefully, I'll see it soon, but I haven't seen it yet.

CaptainPatriot
09-04-2006, 07:18 PM
Eagle’s D will confuse DC. Think it will still be a close game. But the Eagles take this 1.

swtbound07
09-04-2006, 07:20 PM
its the regular season now...all i do is shutup and pray

Wolf
09-04-2006, 07:23 PM
I sense 12-24 for 115 yards 0 tds and 3 ints for a qb rating of 21.7 yes not a typo 21.7

Wolf
09-04-2006, 07:26 PM
give ya some time to soak that one up

.. that was Jake Plummers first game as a bronco..

then followed that up with some qb ratings of 129,128,116

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1003/gamelogs/2003

Wolf
09-04-2006, 07:29 PM
I hope David takes a prozac or something, I feel him along with the team is going to be high strung coming into this game.Both sides of the ball are going to be trying to prove something.. Hopefully Kubiac and Sherman along with Smith can keep these guys with some "controlled agression"

I think (hope) in the 2nd quarter he will settle down.

rmartin65
09-04-2006, 07:30 PM
I hope to see lots of improvement, with a Texans win.

edo783
09-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Carr is going to stink it up 1 for 36 passing with 6 Ints. Sage comes in and breaks his leg before completing a pass. Carr comes back and sprains his throwing shoulder. Putzier plays QB and goes 6 for 7 and there are three threads started that he should be the starting QB. The line will be totally crap and the WR can't get open and have zero receptions and the runners will only get 15 yards. The defense will not get any pressure and we will be burned repeatedly deep. Final score 48-3 Eagles.

There, now any thing above that will be a positive. See, the glass is half full. Enjoy.

Wolf
09-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Carr is going to stink it up 1 for 36 passing with 6 Ints. Sage comes in and breaks his leg before completing a pass. Carr comes back and sprains his throwing shoulder. Putzier plays QB and goes 6 for 7 and there are three threads started that he should be the starting QB. The line will be totally crap and the WR can't get open and have zero receptions and the runners will only get 15 yards. The defense will not get any pressure and we will be burned repeatedly deep. Final score 48-3 Eagles.

There, now any thing above that will be a positive. See, the glass is half full. Enjoy.

speaking of that.. is pultzer or Stanley our emergency QB?

Texans_Chick
09-04-2006, 07:39 PM
I know I will be non-poised.

I'm going to be a geeked up fool.* Probably in need of medication. I will like self-medicate with fluids (http://www.saintarnold.com/products/profiles/amber.html) prior to the game.

Off season is WAAAAAAAY too long after 2-14.

*That being said, I will have enough sense to be quiet on offense. The preseason crowd was having difficulty with that because well, it is a preseason crowd, and moving the ball on offense last year was kinda on the rare list so it freaks the crowd out some.

Runner
09-04-2006, 07:41 PM
I agree with Pencil Neck. It's hard to look poised when you have Jevon Kearse and Darren Howard coming off the edges. The Eagles defense is going to get pressure, Carr will look uncomfortable in the pocket. That's why we're going to have to use roll outs as well as play action passes set up by a solid running game to give us a fighting chance. Maybe he'll show some poise next week. ;)

Yeah - Freeney and Mathis will be a lot easier. :)

Buffi2
09-04-2006, 07:43 PM
I think we will see more roll outs - especially at first since Kubiak said he would come up with something to make Carr more comfortable in the beginning. DC appears to be happier rolling out than staying in the pocket. Carr needs to come out playing in order for us to win this one - he can't diddle about for the first quarter. If he does, Kearse and Howard will smell a wounded animal and go for the jugular.

I'm going to live in happy Homerland for the next few days and predict a win by 3..17-14 hoping Brown can find his way thru the uprites.

The running game has to be almost flawless - with one rookie RB and one with only 1 year experience...big sigh. Our defense has to really step up another notch.

This is making me nervous. I'll go with swtbound07 - stop talking and pray.

I have faith and hope - I'm not sure I have a lot of confidence - but I'll be there screaming my little heart out. I'm cutting a salmon fishing expedition short to be there - they had best play well.

Go Texans!!

dat_boy_yec
09-04-2006, 07:43 PM
I expect this game will be good for Carr and a confidence booster. One of the things that gave the Eagles D a huge problem was the one play Carr has really nailed down. The screen pass, one of the Eagles strong points is their agrresiveness and it's not something that can just be turned on and off so they will be aggresive this sunday and I expect Carr to take huge advantage of that. On roll-outs I think our line will have a big burden placed on them, because both DE's for the Eagles have enough speed to get to the outside on the rush and make Carr have to turn inside. I expect to see screens to the fullback and tailback in the first half and in the second half when the Eagles D adjusts too that I expect Carr will be comfortable enough to take some shots down field. 24-20 Texans.

GP
09-04-2006, 08:25 PM
A David Carr thread??????????

http://www.office-humour.com/includes/images/items/2005/07/3271.gif

TexansLucky13
09-04-2006, 08:31 PM
its the regular season now...all i do is shutup and pray

I've been waiting for this moment for a long time. :shades:

HoustonFan
09-04-2006, 08:36 PM
Carr seems more excited than he did at the beginning of last season.

I think deep down the horror of the Capers' regime is still w/ him. Time for him to shake it and get past that nightmare. if he can do that, he's gonna be alright. He'll have a decent game throwing for 200+ yards, 2 TDs, 15+ yards rushing.

SmokingPiper
09-04-2006, 08:56 PM
Carr got shell-shocked trying to implement the great offensive plan of the Capers' era. Poise is a little to much to ask of him at this time. Getting over the bad experiences is not like a light switch one can turn on and off. It will be turned off with success and the new coaching staff will put together a good enough offensive plan to enable Carr to bring in a victory. By mid-season we might see some poise start creeping in. We are in for one exciting season.

TexanFanInCC
09-04-2006, 09:58 PM
i dont think he will be as poised as i want him to be. jevon kearse will likely be jacked up for a big game.

TexanFanInCC
09-04-2006, 10:02 PM
in 2004, carr was irratic through the first two weeks, but by week 3 (vs the chiefs), carr was more poise than i ever imagined. carr is back in that irratic stage after a 2005 season that changed coaching, offensive schemes, line personnel, etc...and that is alot for any QB to inhale. it will take time, but carr will be on his game by at least week 3. carrs attitude and willingness to put in the effort is what makes him special, and so eventually, we will see the david carr that we have long wanted to see. 2004 offered us glimpses....and we will see that once again pretty soon. im an optimist :rolleyes:

Rodman91
09-04-2006, 10:04 PM

There are several things I expect to see on Sunday.

1. Lots of Darren Howard sacks.
2. Lots of Jevon Kearse sacks.
3. Lots of David Carr interceptions.

jerek
09-04-2006, 10:05 PM
I think Carr will look spotty but will put together a decent game. Honestly I'm not expecting him to get in a groove for another 2-3 weeks. Until then, I expect he'll make a couple of mistakes that draw a gasp or two (but hopefully not a boo, because I refuse to boo my team, no matter what I think of that player, when they're on the field ... just me, comment on that if you so choose) and he'll nickel and dime it down the field the rest of the time as we've seen him do so far this preseason, throw a deep ball or two and complete a few even. Philly's got a respectable D but nothing that a healthy dose of run, PA, and rollout can't handle. OTOH I expect our D to cause a lot of havoc up front ... I'm expecting Philly's O to look pretty bad.

DenverBorn
09-04-2006, 10:14 PM
I don't expect for him to make it through the season as the starter. Rosenfels will start by midseason and we'll parlay our 3-13 record into Brady Quinn

WILLIEG
09-04-2006, 10:18 PM
seeing that the firsrt half of the s4eason is against really good teams. I don't think Carr will be doing to much, but I hope to start seeing him play a hell of a lot better during the second half of thge season when the schedule isn't as hard and he has had a little time to settle into the offensive scheme and developed the trust in his offensive line. Sure hope Spencer can live up to the part in protecting Carr's backside.

South Texan
09-04-2006, 10:18 PM
Philly is going to put some pressure on Carr, but I think the most pressure will come from Carr himself. After all the flak he has taken in the offseason, I suspect he will come out and try too hard at first, holding on to the ball too long looking for a great play instead of dumping it, or force things and give up a pick. If the D can keep us in this one early though, I think the coaches can settle Carr down and get him to pick his spots and get a come from behind victory, 24 to 20. :bananasplit:

The Pencil Neck
09-04-2006, 10:40 PM
There are several things I expect to see on Sunday.

1. Lots of Darren Howard sacks.
2. Lots of Jevon Kearse sacks.
3. Lots of David Carr interceptions.

That's the thing about Carr. He might take sacks but he's not big on throwing interceptions regardless of the pressure.

I think our blocking scheme, our play calling, and our rushing attack will be better than last year, will take pressure off of Carr, and will eliminate a lot of the sacks we had last year.

BUT...

We will have a rookie starting at LT and a rookie starting at RB. And against the Eagles, that's scary.

Still, as I said in the Prediction thread, 56-3, Texans. :redtowel:

Runner
09-04-2006, 11:08 PM
That's the thing about Carr. He might take sacks but he's not big on throwing interceptions regardless of the pressure.

A thing about the o-lineman is that in past seasons they would have liked to have seen him try to throw the ball more. He may have completed a few, may have thrown a couple more interceptions - but it would certainly have reduced the o-line sack statistics. I'm sure the receivers would have liked the chance to make a few plays too.

Napa Auto Parts
09-04-2006, 11:13 PM
When it comes to david carr i set my expectations very and i mean very Low
since i know being average would be asking to much ill settle for kyle boller like stats.

Scooter
09-05-2006, 07:58 AM
i think ... it wont matter. seriously, i think way too much is being put on the eagles' defense. the only player i fear on that side of the ball is trotter because he's a hawk. outside of him, i think we're going to have all types of fun running the ball. carr's going to be spotty the first half, but that has nothing to do with who we're playing against. i expect carr and our running game to gain speed as the game goes on. i'm honestly much more afraid of mcnabb & akers than any part of the eagles' D.

the eagles were 21st last year against the run and 26th in points per game. we WILL run the ball, and run wild. what carr does will only accentuate the rushing game.

Rightnow
09-05-2006, 08:52 AM
I don't think Carr will look poised during most of the first half, perhaps the entire game, but his numbers will be good. Which will once again set up multiple discussion threads about benching Carr in favor of Sage. The people who want Carr as the QB will point to the numbers, the people who don't want him will point to his erratic play.

real
09-05-2006, 09:16 AM
I don't think Carr will look poised at any point this year...He has never shown poise, so why would he magically have "it" when they play the eagles...Although I don't think it will matter much because I expect us to be a heavy run oriented team...

Marcus
09-05-2006, 10:18 AM
I don't think Carr will look poised at any point this year...He has never shown poise, so why would he magically have "it" when they play the eagles...Although I don't think it will matter much because I expect us to be a heavy run oriented team...
Well, I think it will matter A LOT if he doesn't show poise. The opposing defense will simply play to stop the run, and dare him to pass, no matter what new system Kubiak puts in place.

real
09-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Well, I think it will matter A LOT if he doesn't show poise. The opposing defense will simply play to stop the run, and dare him to pass, no matter what new system Kubiak puts in place.

So basically you are suggesting that Because a player doesn't show poise, that means he can't complete passes? I don't care how rattled Carr seems...They will respect what our recievers bring to the table.....That is why we have PA pass....Carr isn't as important to this offense anymore.....Of course it would help if he played extremely well, but it doesn't hurt us as much anymore if he doesn't...

afcman
09-05-2006, 10:54 AM
I hope for the best. But don't expect much.

footballguy69
09-05-2006, 11:15 AM
:chicken: I think a lot depends on the first few offensive series Kubiak runs. If the D is holding the Eagles to say 3 and out that will go a long way in settling Carr down. Hopefully Kubiak and Carr might have been playing possum during the preseason and have a few tricks up their sleeve. I just want him not to get locked in on one receiver for several plays. Spread it around if possible. Having all the TE's will help this year and help Carr. I think the kicking game will decide whether we win this one. :hunter:

LBC_Justin
09-05-2006, 11:29 AM
I don't expect for him to make it through the season as the starter. Rosenfels will start by midseason and we'll parlay our 3-13 record into Brady Quinn
If Sage ends up being our starter.....3-13 is probably about right.

Look for us to take a QB in the draft.

Vinny
09-05-2006, 11:50 AM
I don't think players can just "turn it on" and become another player just because we want it to happen. I expect to see 'David Carr' out there. A guy who does a poor job throwing in the seam, deep middle, or hitting the middle options in a progression tree. He will throw the deep out (by the sideline - ie fairly safe deep pass), tons of come back routes (more safer passes), hitch passes, dump passes and designed short throws in the soft underneath linebacker zones. I expect the Eagles to take away the roll out and force him to play from the pocket, and I think he will play "ok", but if we are in a close game he is a disadvantage since he has yet to prove he can carry this team to victory in close games like the great quarterbacks can. McNabb gets the clear nod in this part of the game and his teammates know that if they can keep it close, McNabb can win it for them. We don't have that kind of a QB here...and I don't think you can turn that guy on and off.

bigTEXan8
09-05-2006, 11:56 AM
I think that Carr will get better as the season goes along. I believe he'll be jittery and uncertain in the beginning, but once he gets comfortable, I believe (and I know you won't agree with me Vinny) will really "turn it on" around week 4 or 5. Sorry Vinny, had to :stirpot:

powerfuldragon
09-05-2006, 01:11 PM
He'll start off rocky, but warm up late first q, early 2nd q.

Second Honeymoon
09-05-2006, 02:00 PM

I hope your right Chuckm because its getting really old hearing all the same lame excuses for his horrible play.

Personally I think we will go around 5-11 with him as the starter (regretfully for the whole year) but finally people will get a clue and there will be true competition next year in Training Camp for the starting QB slot. Either way, I don't want them to go after a QB in the draft. Continue to build our team around defense and a good rushing attack and get a serviceable QB in FA or via trade.

doug from the woodlands

HOU-TEX
09-05-2006, 02:46 PM
He'll start off rocky, but warm up late first q, early 2nd q.

Let's just hope it's not too late by then.:crying: Our D is going to have to step up to cover for our lack of O in the early goings.

Cjeremy635
09-05-2006, 02:53 PM
I predict him to look like he did in our first preseason game this year. To me our offense looked the best in that game (atleast our starters did). I hope to see poise and execution and I think Kubiak will make sure it happens to the "T". I know we had a vanilla offensive scheme so far, but I think he will put our players in a situation that uses their strength and pushes us on to victory. Or, we could just be flat and complain all year again. I personally am rooting for the first scenario....this off-season was way too long and I'm just happy the real season is upon us. :shades:

Maddict5
09-05-2006, 06:18 PM

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN IN A MILLION YEARS...

KRIS BROWN WOULD MISS THE FG

Anyway i expect to see a gameplan similiar to the 1 v KC in the PS opener...carr looked his best that game

i predict carr will go 18/25 for 250 yards, 2tds, 1 int...runs for 30 yards

Wolf
09-05-2006, 06:32 PM
I honestly am almost to the point where (I care that the Texans win or lose)yet if we lose so be it BUT I want to see hope for the future.. I want to see Carr going through progressions ...if it is AJ,Moulds,TE,RB... I want to see that..

I honestly don't know what would be worse Carr going AJ then dump to the RB and we win or we lose yet Carr makes the right reads and he spreads it around to about 6 different (or so) receivers

Vambo, the Marble Eye
09-05-2006, 06:53 PM
I don't think players can just "turn it on" and become another player just because we want it to happen. I expect to see 'David Carr' out there. A guy who does a poor job throwing in the seam, deep middle, or hitting the middle options in a progression tree. He will throw the deep out (by the sideline - ie fairly safe deep pass), tons of come back routes (more safer passes), hitch passes, dump passes and designed short throws in the soft underneath linebacker zones. I expect the Eagles to take away the roll out and force him to play from the pocket, and I think he will play "ok", but if we are in a close game he is a disadvantage since he has yet to prove he can carry this team to victory in close games like the great quarterbacks can. McNabb gets the clear nod in this part of the game and his teammates know that if they can keep it close, McNabb can win it for them. We don't have that kind of a QB here...and I don't think you can turn that guy on and off.

This entire prediction and whether Carr has an "on switch" is predicated on the assumption that we will NOT be able to run the ball, right?

Most fans probably don't care what Carr does in this game except for his contribution to keeping the chains moving. If that amounts to short passes just beyond the defensive line... so be it. I take your point to heart if our running game doesn't work well but if it does...(big if ??? cause I don't know what stock to take on pre-season running sucess) the bootleg and basic play action will make this game and Carr's overall "passer rating" very interesting if he has 5 seconds to throw deep routes to AJ or Moulds.

I would kill to have this be a close game but I would also like our defense to surprise everybody and contribute to McNabb having a bad day...and that is why they play the game.

Marcus
09-08-2006, 09:30 AM
To be very honest, I'm not optimistic that he will look poised this Sunday, because I've never seen poise from him either.

I just want to see him drop back into the pocket, plant his feet, look down the field, and hit a WR going over the middle on a middle to deep route . . .in a fashion that would make me go, "Wow, did you see that? He actually looked like a Brady or a Manning on that play". I'd be willing to cough up a loss, just to see it. For that would tell me right there that Kubes is making progress on his 'project'. It would be like finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

I don't expect to see that light, though. Call that being negative if you want, but I'm finally looking at Carr through Vinny's eyes. Either that, or I've finally taken off the kool-aid colored glasses.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I think it will be very ugly Sunday.