PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of Payne starting at DT?

Texans34Life
09-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Texans | Payne earns starting spot
Mon, 4 Sep 2006 11:18:43 -0700

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans DL Seth Payne has earned a starting spot at defensive tackle.

Is he going to be an upgrade over Robaire Smith in this 4-3 defense?

Dr. Toro
09-04-2006, 04:57 PM
Always been a big Payne fan. Every game I had the pleasure to attend he stood out to me. I think our D-Line's gonna be just fine.

LORK 88
09-04-2006, 05:08 PM
He works to hard to not be an upgrade in the 4-3 defense. Our aggresive style of defense will benefit him more than it would Robaire.

Dr. Toro
09-04-2006, 05:13 PM
Agreed, LORK. I'm no expert on the finer points of DL play and I liked Robaire, but Payne always showed a lot of fire and energy out there, getting penetration, etc.

Maddict5
09-04-2006, 05:13 PM

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans DL Seth Payne has earned a starting spot at defensive tackle.

megan manfull will be pissed that john broke this story...especially as it was her that broke the controversial story that he was move from NT to DT....

Dr. Toro
09-04-2006, 05:21 PM
McClain is saying the Texans cut Smith because he was too pricey to be a backup and they favored Payne for the run stuffing. McClain says this move also means you can count on Weaver and Williams moving to the inside on passing downs. Don't know if thats news to anyone.

jerek
09-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Don't have a problem with it. He's better than Robaire IMO. He'll never blow you away but he's plenty sufficient.

nunusguy
09-04-2006, 05:24 PM
IMO most agree his "natural" position is playing nose tackle in the 3-4.
He's probably only an average 4-3 lineman, but is always hustling and
is the consumate team player.
Apparently the coaches felt he was Robaires equal, though I was always under the impression that Smith was rated higher. But financially keeping
Payne instead of Smith was the easy decision, which surely was a very big
factor in Payne's retention & Smith's release.

K.D.
09-04-2006, 05:58 PM
He works to hard to not be an upgrade in the 4-3 defense. Our aggresive style of defense will benefit him more than it would Robaire.

Yo, I was thinking the same. Payne is going to give you everything he's got and for a new HC, that's what you are asking these guys for. I always thought Payne should start over Smith. He might not be as quick, but his hustle is irreplaceable.:cowboy1:

Ye Olde Pro
09-04-2006, 06:45 PM
Good for Payne! He's a good solid inside guy who ties up two people on most plays. Is quicker off the ball than Robaire, and mybe penetrates a bit better.
Certainly no push over. I wonder if it's gonna be Williams, Johnson, Payne and Weaver as the starting four when the whistle blows.

I also have a feeling that you'll see Peake rotate putting Weaver inside on third down. Man am I looking forward to this. My only question for the Eagles game is Westbrook.

phan1
09-04-2006, 07:00 PM
IMO most agree his "natural" position is playing nose tackle in the 3-4.
He's probably only an average 4-3 lineman, but is always hustling and
is the consumate team player.
Apparently the coaches felt he was Robaires equal, though I was always under the impression that Smith was rated higher. But financially keeping
Payne instead of Smith was the easy decision, which surely was a very big
factor in Payne's retention & Smith's release.

If you're a starting nose tackle, I think it's impossible to be just an average 4-3 DT. Nose Tackle requires much more strength and skill cause you've got 2 gaps to control instead of 1 in the 4-3. Payne should be a great run-stuffer for us.

edo783
09-04-2006, 07:47 PM
I have always thought he was our best inside DT. Strong and will give it all he has all the time. Can't ask much more of anyone.

TexanFanInCC
09-04-2006, 09:39 PM
im fine with the decision. i thought seth payne performed pretty well last season. i like the leadership he brings.

TexansLucky13
09-04-2006, 10:58 PM
Payne will be exceptional in the 4-3. I have always liked him.

done88
09-04-2006, 11:11 PM
Before he got hurt he was the heart and soul of the defense. I was very dissappointed when he went down. He never got the chance to be the guy again after that.

mexican_texan
09-05-2006, 12:44 AM
Payne is like "Rudy," but with experience and leadership that could help our relatively young D-line, defense, and team as a whole.

Travis Johnson must have really worked his arse off to not only avoid being cut, but to work his way out of Kube's doghouse(supposedly) and into the starting DT position(I assume.)

TexanFanInCC
09-05-2006, 03:55 AM
payne and the travis johnson i hope to see....that is one nasty interior. throw in weaver, and nobody is running past those three

Scooter
09-05-2006, 06:00 AM
payne's always been the best DT we've had. his style is more suited to the 3-4 NT because he's a slow and powerful guy who commands double teams, but he'll be fine in this system. correct me if i'm wrong, but i dont think he saw much time this preseason with the first team. i think he's going to affect the ends a lot more than robaire, weaver, or TJ ever could because he MUST be double teamed (one guy on payne, i dont care who it is, is offensive suicide). what i like about what this does to the line though is that (hopefully) it allows weaver to slide back inside so that we can get a better pass rush from babin, peek, & mario on the outside ... weaver didnt show me that he was able to generate consistant pressure, but babin & peek deffinately did. between the fear of mario, and the knowledge of payne, offenses are going to run out of blockers.

O.G.
09-05-2006, 08:36 AM

I third that. He gives more push. You have a younger Robaire in Travis.

Rightnow
09-05-2006, 09:27 AM
I wonder if Smith will be picked up by anyone and if he will be a starter? Capers and Cass really picked some winners.

trane
09-05-2006, 10:28 AM

Is he going to be an upgrade over Robaire Smith in this 4-3 defense?

What s going to be the starting D Line!

thunderkyss
09-05-2006, 10:48 AM
I don't really see SethPayne as a replacement for Robaire. I think TJ took that role.

I like Seth, because he does have a motor that won't stop. I don't think he gets much push, but he isn't easily pushed off the line either. He does well coming off of blocks, and getting to the runner, so I think that will be his Forte...... you won't see much of him in the backfield though.

At the beggining of the preseason, I thought he'd have to work hard to keep his job. Just looking at the size of Robaire, who'd have thought he would be so ineffective against the run. But people were running right by him everygame. I think he definitely lost his job to TJ, and did not earn himself a place on the field, more than Seth beating him out........ Robaire was just a big disappointment.

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2006, 11:38 AM
I don't really see SethPayne as a replacement for Robaire. I think TJ took that role.

I like Seth, because he does have a motor that won't stop. I don't think he gets much push, but he isn't easily pushed off the line either. He does well coming off of blocks, and getting to the runner, so I think that will be his Forte...... you won't see much of him in the backfield though.

At the beggining of the preseason, I thought he'd have to work hard to keep his job. Just looking at the size of Robaire, who'd have thought he would be so ineffective against the run. But people were running right by him everygame. I think he definitely lost his job to TJ, and did not earn himself a place on the field, more than Seth beating him out........ Robaire was just a big disappointment.

I agree with you, but as they say, "One man's trash may be another man's treasure." (http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section_id=7&screen=news&news_id=51929) Looks like the Tacks are desperately trying to reel Smith back in..........this against apparent competition.

ROBAIRE ENCORE: The Titans continue to talk with the agent for defensive tackle Robaire Smith, who left the Titans as a free agent after 2003, about a possible return engagement in Tennessee. Smith was released over the weekend by the Houston Texans.

“We’ve talked again [Monday], but there are still a couple other teams interested as well,” agent Michael Harrison said. “I think it’ll be a day or two before something happens.”

Fisher said he expects the battle to sign Smith to be competitive.

“We’ve had some injuries on the defensive line, but a lot of teams have,” Fisher said. “There are a lot of teams, I’m sure, that will be interested in a starting defensive tackle like Robaire.”

Defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth would like to see Smith return to the Titans, if possible.

“That would be great for us,” Haynesworth said. “Right now, we only have three tackles — me, Randy [Starks] and Jesse [Mahelona]. We need some help in here, and if Robaire comes back [it would be good]. I think we were the number one rushing defense in the league when he was here. It would be a great start, and hopefully, we can get back to that.”

However, he stopped short of calling Smith and giving a sales pitch.

“The coaches wanted me to recruit, but that’s the business part, and I like to stay out of that part of it,” Haynesworth said. “Hopefully, he does make that decision, but if he has a chance to go make some money somewhere else, he needs to go do that.”