PDA

View Full Version : Texans Preseason Stats

MorKnolle
09-04-2006, 12:58 AM
I know it's just preseason and a lot of vanilla offenses and defenses are being run out there, but I wanted to compare our team stats vs. the rest of the league this preseason vs. our stats from last year. We are improved in just about every single area, with drastic improvements in most. Let's hope this trend continues through the regular season.

Offense:
Yards Gained: 9th (30th last year)
Yards Per Play: 9th (31st last year)
Points Scored: T-6th (T-26th last year)
TDs Scored: T-8th (T-25th last year)
FGs Made: T-6th (T-9th last year)
FG %: T-26th (T-23rd last year)
Turnover Giveaways: T-1st fewest (T-10th fewest last year)
First Downs Per Game: 8th (29th last year)
3rd Down Percentage: 28th (27th last year)
4th Down Conversions: 5/5 - lead league in conversions (8/17 last year)

Passing Offense:
Passing Yards Gained: 18th (30th last year)
Completion Percentage: 5th (14th last year)
Sacks Allowed: 3rd fewest (32nd last year)
Passing TDs: T-17th (T-26th last year)
Interceptions Thrown: T-4th fewest (T-7th last year)
Passing First Downs: T-20th (29th last year)

Rushing Offense:
Rushing Yards Gained: 6th (15th last year)
Yards Per Attempt: 3rd (10th last year)
Rushing TDs: T-4th (T-25th last year)
Rushing First Downs: T-6th (T-18th last year)

Defense:
Yards Allowed: T-9th (31st last year)
Yards Per Play: T-5th (32nd last year)
Points Allowed: 13th (32nd last year)
TDs Allowed: T-13th (T-30th last year)
FGs Allowed: T-7th (T-23rd last year)
Turnover Takeaways: T-22nd (32nd last year)
First Downs Allowed Per Game: T-15th (32nd)
3rd Down Percentage: 6th Lowest (17th last year)
4th Down Conversions: 3/6 (13/20 last year)

Passing Defense:
Passing Yards Allowed: 10th (24th last year)
Completion Percentage: 16th (30th last year)
Sacks: 13th (T-14th last year)
Passing TDs Allowed: T-3rd (T-26th last year)
Passing First Downs Allowed: T-6th (27th last year)
Interceptions: T-23rd (31st last year)

Rushing Defense:
Rushing Yards Allowed: 10th (32nd last year)
Yards Per Attempt: 13th (30th last year)
Rushing TDs Allowed: T-28th (29th last year)
Rushing First Downs Allowed: T-20th (30th last year)

Other:
Time of Possession: 17th (27th last year)
Turnover Differential: T-9th (T-25th last year)
Penalties: 20th fewest (T-10th fewest last year)
Penalty Yards: 18th fewest (11th fewest last year)

TexansLucky13
09-04-2006, 01:11 AM
I cannot wait. I am bouncing off walls. We are gunna tear the feathers off some Eagles. :redtowel:

Hervoyel
09-04-2006, 01:12 AM
Yeah it's preseason and yeah it's meaningless but you can only use what you have at your disposal to chart progress at this point and the numbers are mostly pretty impressive in the main catagories. Improvement pretty much across the board.

Now lets see what happens Sunday against the Eagles.

TexansLucky13
09-04-2006, 01:14 AM
Yeah it's preseason and yeah it's meaningless but you can only use what you have at your disposal to chart progress at this point and the numbers are mostly pretty impressive in the main catagories. Improvement pretty much across the board.

Now lets see what happens Sunday against the Eagles.

Completely agreed. Preseason stats may be "worthless" but they hold some meaning, especially for this team.

P.S.- The only thing we did bad this preseason was penalties. That broncos game killed us! Also, P Buc needs to learn how to keep his hands to himself when defending the pass, haha.

RiotCommander
09-04-2006, 01:16 AM
Completely agreed. Preseason stats may be "worthless" but they hold some meaning, especially for this team.

P.S.- The only thing we did bad this preseason was penalties. That broncos game killed us! Also, P Buc needs to learn how to keep his hands to himself when defending the pass, haha.

Don't forget the kicking game, Brown is trying to lose his job. Could he miss a few more?

TexansLucky13
09-04-2006, 01:18 AM
Don't forget the kicking game, Brown is trying to lose his job. Could he miss a few more?

Got me there, Riot. Kris Brown never ceases to amaze me. He used to be reliable....

Houston_Fanatic
09-04-2006, 01:19 AM
Well, even thoough those are only pre-season stats, the stats from the pre-season last year held up throughout the year and that is pretty much where we ended up. 25th-32nd in so many categories. We kept hoping we really weren't that bad....... This year we are hoping we are really that good :yahoo:

edo783
09-04-2006, 10:58 AM
The thing that jumps out to me is that the Offensive ranking improvement is better than the Defesive improvement. Just watching the games, I got the impression that the Defense was doing better than the offense. Impression vs stats I guess.

TexanExile
09-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Offense:
3rd Down Percentage: 28th (27th last year)

:mag:

Great read, MorKnolle...thanks for that! I'm happy with all that I see there, except for the stat above. Wanted a lot more improvement there. Now it's a preseason stat, so there are a million reasons why it could skew high or low, but this stat immediately reminded me of the first team's offensive implosions early in preseason games 2 and 3. Gotta do better.

Overall, very interesting aggregate numbers that show good signs of progress. Very little chance that the opener next weekend will go anything like the Buffalo opener/disaster last year.

Texans Front Row Crew
09-04-2006, 12:06 PM
Can anyone find the Tackles #s (stat) I can't find it anywhere. Ryans had 8 one game and I was wondering what his totals were for the preseason. I think he has a great nose for the ball and should be in the running for defensive ROY. (Unless we get robbed - see Dunta few years ago)

tsip
09-04-2006, 04:51 PM
The thing that jumps out to me is that the Offensive ranking improvement is better than the Defesive improvement. Just watching the games, I got the impression that the Defense was doing better than the offense. Impression vs stats I guess.

Unfortunately, most of our yardage and points came with the first team on the bench!! Too, our 3rd down ratio is worse than last year and that stat has been a weakness for this team since 'day one.' If we want to win, that stat has to improve and--finally--we'll get to see David use all that offense that got held back during pre-season--look out Cutler, here comes Carr!:yahoo:

gtexan02
09-12-2006, 07:15 PM
I wish we still had these numbers!