PDA

View Full Version : Steve Foley shot

Kaiser Toro
09-03-2006, 03:53 PM
http://www.kusi.com/home/3815221.html

A San Diego Charger was shot Sunday morning by an off duty police officer. It happened around 3:30 Sunday morning..when an off duty Coronado police officer started following a man who was driving erratically. Police say the driver is Chargers linebacker Steve Foley.
The officer identified himself several times as a police officer, but Foley would not pull over. Foley then drove to his own neighborhood in Poway where he got out of the car and his girlfriend got behind the wheel. Police say Foley came at the officer who fired a warning shot. The woman then drove the car at the officer. The officer fired into the car, then shot Foley. But police say Foley kept coming, and the off duty officer shot him several more times. Foley was taken to Sharp Hospital for surgery. The woman was taken into custody. No charges have been filed yet. Steve Foley was arrested back in April for battery on a police officer and public drunkeness.

Mr. White
09-03-2006, 04:21 PM
If this happened in Austin, they would be calling for jail time for the cop.

Carr Bombed
09-03-2006, 04:24 PM
DUMB...............I've heard the phrase 10 feet tall and bullet proof, but come on......thats flat out retarted.

This is exactly why I call people hypocrites when they bash the NBA for being a league of thugs, the NFL is by far worse, Drug abuse, alcohol abuse, drunk driving, vehicular manslaughter, disorderly behavior, demestic disputes, wife battery and assault, its just people dismiss it as the NFL is a violent sport and its their nature.

Hervoyel
09-03-2006, 04:50 PM
If this happened in Austin, they would be calling for jail time for the cop.

And if it had happened in Houston they would be releasing funeral service details tomorrow morning once his family had made arrangements.

Hervoyel
09-03-2006, 04:51 PM
So how does the NFL being a league of idiots, in anyway negate the fact that the NBA IS a league of "thugs?"

True, they're not mutually exclusive. We can have more than one league of idiots as well as more than one league of thugs.

Farough
09-03-2006, 04:54 PM
It doesnt 'negate' the fact, although I don't think that the NBA is just a league of thugs. There are far worse things that NFL players have been doing in recent years as far as crimes go than NBA players have been. The media always refers to NBA players as thugs, I don't know if its because most the players are black and dress in baggy clothing or what but it's very stereotypical.

I'm going to guess that this is what Carr Bomb was talking about.

Hervoyel
09-03-2006, 05:04 PM
I'd think it would be obvious Farough. Both leagues are full of these "thugs" but in the NFL everyone (including the players more often than not) pretends that this isn't the case (but deep down we all know it is).

In the NBA many of the players often go out of their way to be seen as thugs. It's like acting and dressing this way is in style or something. I don't know which is worse, the NFL and it's hypocrisy or the NBA and it's clearly warped perspective. Both are far off base.

I'd hold up MLB as some kind of shining example but it's got it's own problems with "juicing" along with it's fair share of hypocrisy, thugs, greed, and rampant fan "bending-over" (which also take place in the other two big leagues).

Farough
09-03-2006, 05:13 PM
They dress the way they do because of where they come from. Dressing like that doesn't make them thugs. What have they done/ what are they doing for everyone to think they are?

Either way, the NBA is trying to better their image by making them dress up for team function, etc. But personally, I don't think the NBA is as bad as most people think it is.

mexican_texan
09-03-2006, 05:38 PM
It might be the fact that there are more players in the NFL than the NBA, which means more "thugs."

rmartin65
09-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Thats weird. I hope he is ok, but it was a stupid thing for him to do. I was born at Sharp by the way.

nunusguy
09-03-2006, 07:08 PM
"About 3:30 a.m., the off-duty officer started following a suspected drunk driver in the area of northbound Highway 163 and Highway 52, Brugos said. The vehicle was described as weaving and its speed ranged from 30 to 90 mph and nearly hit several vehicles, he said."
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20060903-1358-bn03foleyshot.html
Good thing the drunk didn't kill somebody with his car.
Here's a more lengthy report of the incident from the local newspaper out there.

Carr Bombed
09-03-2006, 07:41 PM
It doesnt 'negate' the fact, although I don't think that the NBA is just a league of thugs. There are far worse things that NFL players have been doing in recent years as far as crimes go than NBA players have been. The media always refers to NBA players as thugs, I don't know if its because most the players are black and dress in baggy clothing or what but it's very stereotypical.

I'm going to guess that this is what Carr Bomb was talking about.

Exactly that was my point, for some reason the NBA gets a bad rap, while the NFL skates clean and I also don't think the NBA is "full of thugs". When was the last time a major story came out about a NBA player doing something really bad off the court......Kobe Bryant.....a couple of years ago, then before that....when..... I don't think the NBA is "full of thugs", I just think they are portrayed that way. You hear about a Basketball player getting involved with something once in a blue moon, but hear about a football player every week and I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that there is more football players, because its the same players doing it over and over.

The Dude Abides
09-03-2006, 08:40 PM
So Steve Foley gets shot. Let's keep discussing that instead of "thugishness"

Errant Hothy
09-03-2006, 08:49 PM
"About 3:30 a.m., the off-duty officer started following a suspected drunk driver in the area of northbound Highway 163 and Highway 52, Brugos said. The vehicle was described as weaving and its speed ranged from 30 to 90 mph and nearly hit several vehicles, he said."
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20060903-1358-bn03foleyshot.html
Good thing the drunk didn't kill somebody with his car.
Here's a more lengthy report of the incident from the local newspaper out there.

It wouldn't have mattered even if he had, see Leonard Little.

And I seriously doubt anything will happen to Foley, either from the legal system or the NFL.

TexansLucky13
09-03-2006, 08:56 PM
He better put on some bandaids and get back on the field, and fast. I have the Chargers as my starting D/ST for the season (I benched the Bucs since they are playing Baltimore of whom I think will have an excellent year). Don't let me down!

CloakNNNdagger
09-03-2006, 10:47 PM
Bottom line, we're dealing with a new generation of players who go from rags to immediate riches inheriting a boat load of irrevocable money, with a sense of entitilement which has been nutured throughout college, with no sense of responsibility, and not comprehending the meaning of "NO".................all the ingredients for a delinquent end.

TexansLucky13
09-03-2006, 11:24 PM
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CloakNNNdagger again."

Excellent post Cloak. Sorry I cant give you more rep!

Dime
09-04-2006, 12:58 AM
If he was on the road in Texas.. he would have been shot just for weaving on the road.. and he would have been shot many times.. Most of the gunshot wounds being non leathal.. Most texas cops cant shoot stright, but they shoot many many times.

texan279
09-04-2006, 11:12 AM
http://www.kusi.com/home/3815221.html

A San Diego Charger was shot Sunday morning by an off duty police officer. It happened around 3:30 Sunday morning..when an off duty Coronado police officer started following a man who was driving erratically. Police say the driver is Chargers linebacker Steve Foley.
The officer identified himself several times as a police officer, but Foley would not pull over. Foley then drove to his own neighborhood in Poway where he got out of the car and his girlfriend got behind the wheel. Police say Foley came at the officer who fired a warning shot. The woman then drove the car at the officer. The officer fired into the car, then shot Foley. But police say Foley kept coming, and the off duty officer shot him several more times. Foley was taken to Sharp Hospital for surgery. The woman was taken into custody. No charges have been filed yet. Steve Foley was arrested back in April for battery on a police officer and public drunkeness.

I didn't read the article just the snippet that was posted and I don't know the facts but sounds kind of odd to me. How would an off duty officer identify himself in a moving vehicle to someone else in a moving vehicle, especially if the officer was following the behind the vehicle and not next to it? Was he screaming out the window or something? Something just doesn't add up here IMO. And if I am driving at 3:30 in the morning and someone does try to tell me they are a police officer and are in an unmarked car and tries to get me to stop I don't think I would stop either. I don't know how things work where this took place but in Texas officers don't fire "warning shots", the only time your gun is unholstered is when you intend to use it if need be.

Tale Gator
09-04-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm going to wait and here both sides of this story before passing judgement. On the surface it is a little odd that an off duty cop is following a suspected drunk driver and ends up shooting him 3 times.

texan279
09-05-2006, 11:51 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5938004

Brugos said Tuesday that while Mansker was wearing his police badge on the right side of his belt, he didn't believe he showed it to Foley from his car.

texan279
09-14-2006, 12:18 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5957042

Still seems fishy to me, if Foley was shot twice in the back of the leg, that means his back was to the officer whether it was because he was running from the officer or whatever reason. If his back is to the officer I do not see why he was shot.

SAN DIEGO (AP) - Authorities are seeking drunk driving charges against Steve Foley, the Chargers linebacker who was shot and seriously wounded by an off-duty police officer earlier this month.

Investigators have recommended that prosecutors charge Foley with misdemeanor DUI, the San Diego County District Attorney's office confirmed Wednesday. Charges have not been filed.

Foley's blood alcohol level was not disclosed, but the San Diego County Sheriff's Department said it exceeded the legal limit.

Foley was shot three times - twice in the back of the left leg and once on the outside of the left thigh - by an off-duty Coronado police officer Sept. 3 near his home. Sheriff's officials said the officer followed Foley's car on suspicion that the driver was drunk.

Foley got out of the car and began walking toward the officer, who said he was armed and fired a warning shot, according to a sheriff's department report. The officer shot Foley after the linebacker reached into his pants with his right hand.

The officer, Aaron Mansker, has been placed on paid administrative leave. Foley was hospitalized in fair condition and will miss the season.

gtexan02
09-14-2006, 09:22 AM
That does seem really fishy. Off duty cop. Shoots a guy 3 times in the BACK of the leg. All for suspected DUI.

hmm

RiotCommander
09-14-2006, 09:37 AM
I would really love to know what his blood alcohol level was at. Just sounds like there is more going on here then what is being reported. Also its not mentioned if Foley had a weapon. "He reached into his pants!" ..... This sounds really fishy as mentioned above.

"Just sprinkle some crack on him an lets get out of here."

Mr. White
09-14-2006, 09:40 AM
Here's a theory...probably reaching, but that's why we're here.

Drunk guy A pisses off drunk guy B in traffic when they're on their way home from Whataburger in traffic.

Just turns out drunk guy B is an off-duty cop that's got some booze in him and he's a little charged up. He ain't too worried. He has a gun.

They pull over and drunk guy B finds out that drunk guy A is huge and about to kick his ass.

Drunk guy B gets approached, nearly gets run over by the other guy's girlfriend, and starts shooting. The adrenaline sobers him up and he comes up with a half-assed story that doesn't quite add up but keeps him out of trouble.

Stuff like this can happen when you mix alcohol with an ego...and a gun. :shoot:

cuppacoffee
09-14-2006, 09:54 AM
Here's a theory...probably reaching, but that's why we're here.

Drunk guy A pisses off drunk guy B in traffic when they're on their way home from Whataburger in traffic.

Just turns out drunk guy B is an off-duty cop that's got some booze in him and he's a little charged up. He ain't too worried. He has a gun.

They pull over and drunk guy B finds out that drunk guy A is huge and about to kick his ass.

Drunk guy B gets approached, nearly gets run over by the other guy's girlfriend, and starts shooting. The adrenaline sobers him up and he comes up with a half-assed story that doesn't quite add up but keeps him out of trouble.

Stuff like this can happen when you mix alcohol with an ego...and a gun. :shoot:

They sell booze at Whataburgers in California?..:cool:

"You want fries and a margurita with that" :D

:jk:

gtexan02
09-14-2006, 02:41 PM
holy goodness, his BAC was 0.233!! CHeck this out!
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2587718

powerfuldragon
09-14-2006, 03:27 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/09/14/bc.fbn.chargers.foleyshroids.ap/index.html?section=si_nfl

Now they think he was both juicing and on the sauce.

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- Prosecutors suspect Chargers linebacker Steve Foley was on steroids when he was shot three times by an off-duty police officer.

"His history of aggressive and even violent contact with law enforcement indicates the possibility of more than mere alcohol involvement," wrote criminal investigator Dan Nordell in an affidavit for a search warrant. "(Steroids) can cause erratic behavior in those that use them. This has been given names like 'roid rage for the uncontrollable outbursts and violence experienced by some users."

texan279
09-14-2006, 11:46 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/09/14/bc.fbn.chargers.foleyshroids.ap/index.html?section=si_nfl

Now they think he was both juicing and on the sauce.

And it gets weirder and weirder. In the almost 8 years I have worked in law enforcement I have never seen anyone try and prove a suspect was on steroids. Not sure if they are trying to nail the guy because he is an athlete or maybe just grasping at straws for anything trying to justify the officer shooting him, either way the story gets weirder and weirder.

eric138
09-15-2006, 07:50 AM
why steroids, why not angel dust or something that makes someone freakishly crazy.. steroids and alcohol would probably make a grown man cry because his hormone levels are out of whack and alcohol is a depressant which would have them estrogens boiling..

and on the NBA and thugs, most thugs go to basketball rather than baseball or football because they can get to the riches easier without have to go to college or wait three years after high school or go to the minors or anything. just throw the ball into a hoop and you get paid. whoa.

infantrycak
10-19-2006, 08:20 AM
How dumb were both people involved in this?

SAN DIEGO -- The rookie off-duty police officer who shot Chargers linebacker Steve Foley last month said Wednesday that at no point did he show his badge to Foley or his companion as he tried to get the NFL veteran to pull over on suspicion of drunken driving.

Mansker was in street clothes and driving his own car while heading home from work just after 3 a.m. Sept. 3, when he came across Foley driving erratically on State Route 163. Suspecting he was a drunken driver, Mansker stayed at a distance but followed Foley north up to Interstate 15 and then Pomerado Road, he said.

Once they were on surface streets, the linebacker allegedly rebuffed Mansker's repeated attempts to get him to pull over during a series of stops and shouting matches among Foley, his companion and the off-duty officer.

Many of the stops on the street, Mansker testified, were initiated by Foley, with the football player stopping his car in the middle of the road, getting out and approaching Mansker, who drew his gun and pointed it at Foley.

Link (http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/10/19/sports/professional/chargers/0_13_2010_19_06.txt)

You have to be a complete moron to think dressed in civies, driving your own car, someone is going to take your word that you are a cop and you have to be a moron to keep confronting a guy with a gun.

mexican_texan
10-19-2006, 09:19 AM
Rodney King! Rodney King! Attica!

RTP2110
02-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Theres a chance Foley may never play again.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2752655