PDA

View Full Version : What does our cap status look like now?

Wolf
09-03-2006, 01:44 PM
with wade gone,robaire gone.. how does this affect us in the future on cap status.?

FILO_girl
09-03-2006, 03:27 PM
with wade gone,robaire gone.. how does this affect us in the future on cap status.?

Agreed, how are we looking? Where are the resident capologists today? :confused:

PapaL
09-03-2006, 03:27 PM
I would imagine it's not looking good this year, but great next year.

clandestin
09-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Here's the place to look: http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap.html

Wolf
09-03-2006, 03:39 PM
wasn't Gary Walker part of it too?

and i thought there was another big name

Marcus
09-03-2006, 04:00 PM
You need to include Domanick Davis if he's cut next year, as I suspect.

texanfan2100
09-03-2006, 04:52 PM

According to this site, Smith's allocated signing bonus hit is about $1.4 million per year, and he was signed through 2009. So just doing the math, it looks like the accelerated cap hit is about $5.6 million for the 2006-2009 allocated bonus. I just don't know if the hit would go on the cap this year or next since it's so close to the regular season.

Also, the cap hit to waive Payne looks like it would actually have been more than Smith's was.:eek: God, Casserly was a walking idiot.:mad: :brickwall

D-ReK
09-03-2006, 04:58 PM
Also, the cap hit to waive Wand looks like it would actually have been more than Smith's was.:eek: God, Casserly was a walking idiot.:mad: :brickwall

Huh? The cap hit for getting rid of Wand was $6,720, which is a far cry from the $5,600,000 that the Smith cut will roughly cost...

texanfan2100
09-03-2006, 05:06 PM
Huh? The cap hit for getting rid of Wand was $6,720, which is a far cry from the $5,600,000 that the Smith cut will roughly cost...

Sorry, I meant Payne.

Wolf
09-03-2006, 09:03 PM

just curious on how what one know whether the Texans take a full hit on a players salary/half hit or what?

painekiller
09-04-2006, 03:04 AM
just curious on how what one know whether the Texans take a full hit on a players salary/half hit or what?

Keith, the guy who keeps the above cap page, said he was not sure how they would allocate the Cap hits, but used the full figure against this year to see what that did to Cap.

We all think it is better to take the full hit now, if you can, than to defer some of it and then get into trouble latter. Caper and Casserly where jokes with handing out the money. As you can see. Giving Walker and Dom Davis such big contracts was just plain stupid.

Carr Bombed
09-04-2006, 05:04 AM
Giving Davis his money wasn't stupid, he was a mid round pick and actually came in and earned his money. I have no problem with DD's contract, because again he earned it, thats more than you can say about any player we have drafted in 5 years prior or signed in Free Agency.

I'm starting to feel that the board is turning on Davis and thinks that all his problems are "mental and he won't suck it up and go play", lets remember that he was drafted to be a third down back and special teamer and exceeded all expectations. The guy may never play again and with all the people that we have signed to outrageous contracts who just went to the bank and cashed their check, I'm glad he got paid, good for him. DD was a player that was actually worth signing to a big contract and deserved it.

BigDTexansFan
09-04-2006, 08:48 AM
You need to include Domanick Davis if he's cut next year, as I suspect.

unless an injury settlement is reached, then only that amount counts against cap

Los
09-04-2006, 02:38 PM
I know this may be a dumb question, but what is dead money ?

I have been a faithful Texans fan, just never got into the technical business end of the NFL...

TexansLucky13
09-04-2006, 02:42 PM
I am sure that CC Brown is ticked about his contract. He is on the bottom of the list.

The Pencil Neck
09-04-2006, 03:09 PM
I know this may be a dumb question, but what is dead money ?

I have been a faithful Texans fan, just never got into the technical business end of the NFL...

That's money that you have to pay to players no longer playing for the team. It counts against the salary cap.

painekiller
09-04-2006, 03:28 PM
[QUOTE=Carr Bomb]Giving Davis his money wasn't stupid, he was a mid round pick and actually came in and earned his money. I have no problem with DD's contract, because again he earned it, thats more than you can say about any player we have drafted in 5 years prior or signed in Free Agency.

[QUOTE]

Giving a 3rd year player a contract before the seasons ends is not a smart move for any player. Giving a 3rd year RB with a history of being injured a huge contract is even more unforgivable.

I wonder if Davis had not been given the big contract and he was now trying to earn his keep. Would he be playing? The doctor say he should. The team thinks he should. Only Davis with the $8M in the bank thinks he shouldn't. Don't let the IR fool you, the team did this because the injury settlement would have been more than the salary he will get on the IR.

I believe he will be released before next season.

Did Davis produce the numbers his 1st 3 years to deserve a raise, yes. But it was still a bad business move for the Texans. Just like many of the moves Casserly made during his tenure.

aj.
09-04-2006, 03:45 PM
That's money that you have to pay to players no longer playing for the team. It counts against the salary cap.

Almost.

Typically, it's money that has already been paid to players, most often in the form of signing bonuses when contracts are signed, that counts against the cap after the player is no longer on the team.

Here's an article that explains it a little better:

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/article.jsp?id=2664