PDA

View Full Version : Robaire Smith Cut

mamoo
09-03-2006, 01:24 PM
The Texans cut Robaire Smith, David Anderson, Michael Stone and Chris Taylor today. They've picked up Roc Alexander (DB-Denver), Atiyyah Ellison (DT-Carolina), Gus Scott (New England and Edell Sheperad (WR-Tampa).

I expect David Anderson and Chris Taylor will be signed to the practice squad.

RiotCommander
09-03-2006, 01:25 PM
The Texans cut Robaire Smith, David Anderson, Michael Stone and Chris Taylor today. They've picked up Roc Alexander (DB-Denver), Atiyyah Ellison (DT-Carolina), Gus Scott (New England and Edell Sheperad (WR-Tampa).

Where did you get this information? I cannot believe we would cut R.Smith. I do like the addions I see.

mamoo
09-03-2006, 01:26 PM
It came via new release. It's official.

Brandon420tx
09-03-2006, 01:27 PM
It came via new release. It's official.
Which news release? :yawn:

mamoo
09-03-2006, 01:30 PM
There is only one and it comes direct from Texans PR. Work is Kubiak has been at Reliant since yesterday and won't be available for comment today. Just keep checking the waiver wire and you'll see this is 100% fact.

RiotCommander
Which news release? :yawn:

Yeah I know this guy is being about as specific as a game company release date.

LORK 88
Im sorry, but without a link this has no credability . . .

Texas
Ive liked robaire smith in the past seasons...However he was good for a so-so team...We want better...I like the fact our coachin staff isnt playing any games!

Bamaborn-Texasbred
09-03-2006, 01:31 PM
B.S.

Brandon420tx
09-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Ive liked robaire smith in the past seasons...However he was good for a so-so team...We want better...I like the fact our coachin staff isnt playing any games!

Dude, currently this rumor is just that, a rumor.

powerfuldragon
09-03-2006, 01:33 PM

not on the website, but i'm compelled to believe you.

RiotCommander
09-03-2006, 01:33 PM
I have little patients with this kind of thing. Either you can provide a link or your just looking for attention. I think we are all starting to guess which it is.

Bamaborn-Texasbred
09-03-2006, 01:34 PM
mamoo you have 15 posts in nearly 2 1/2 years. give me a break.

texanfan2100
09-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Why would they cut R. Smith before they cut Payne? Payne will be less of a contributor, and he would be a softer cap hit.

Vinny
09-03-2006, 01:36 PM
mamoo, do you work for ABC?

Trap_Star
09-03-2006, 01:37 PM
http://www.eng.mu.edu/wintersj/images/images-th/liar.jpg

mamoo
I don't post often because I only report facts. Most of the time the official word comes to me, you already know. This time word did not get out before the official press release. This is what I do for a living. I happen to like Robaire alot and the news surprised the heck out of me. As I said, everything is true according to the Texans.

nunusguy
He's just confused, he thinks today is April 1st.

Brandon420tx
:yawn: ....

wolf123
09-03-2006, 01:38 PM

Just a thought, but he's pretty specific in details about acquisitions for being full of "BS". I'm inclined to believe him

Vinny
09-03-2006, 01:40 PM
:highfive: :jumpbanan :rofl: lol:actually I was being serious. I think he is being truthful.

In any case...I'm on record of stating that RoSmith was a bad signing and he hasn't played up to his contract, so this news isn't surprising to me.

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showpost.php?p=405956&postcount=76

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showpost.php?p=130543&postcount=24

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showpost.php?p=136519&postcount=8

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showpost.php?p=289813&postcount=18

RiotCommander
09-03-2006, 01:41 PM
I just don't see why we would cut R.Smith. He has basically been starting DT for us in the preseason. And its not like we picked up "Big" John Henderson or some great DT to replace him with. Payne has had injury problems. I hope Mamoo is full of it.

RiotCommander
09-03-2006, 01:42 PM
actually I was being serious. I think he is being truthful.

In any case...I'm on record of stating that RoSmith was a bad signing and he hasn't played up to his contract, so this news isn't surprising to me.

That much I can agree with. He really should have been better, but I just question that we have enough guys right now to just cut him lose.

powerfuldragon
09-03-2006, 01:43 PM
That much I can agree with. He really should have been better, but I just question that we have enough guys right now to just cut him lose.
Atiyyah Ellison (DT-Carolina)

RiotCommander
09-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Atiyyah Ellison (DT-Carolina)

I know I saw that, has anyone here seen this guy play much?

powerfuldragon
09-03-2006, 01:46 PM
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/410212

that's his page on nfl dot com. nothing on it but a bunch of goose eggs.

Hottoddie
09-03-2006, 01:48 PM
I guess the question is, is.....

Atiyyah Ellison > Robaire Smith?

Edell Sheperad > David Anderson?

Gus Scott > Michael Stone?

Roc Alexander worth taking a chance at losing Chris Taylor?

Texans_Chick
I know I saw that, has anyone here seen this guy play much?

If they did, it would have been in college:

Cached Panther's link (http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:dJNafZp9_dUJ:www.panthers.com/team/teamRosterDetails.jsp%3Fid%3D18171+Atiyyah+Ellison&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=3)

College background (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/ellison_atiyyah)

powerfuldragon
4.93 in the 40-yard dash … 435-pound bench press … 564-pound squat … 369-pound hang clean … 28-inch vertical jump … 9-foot-3 broad jump … 32-inch arm length … 9-inch hands … Left-handed.

For a player of his strength, he relies too much on his quickness to gain penetration and will sometimes fail to get hand position. This leaves his chest exposed for the offensive linemen to lock on and sustain. He plays with good effort and shows the body control to make plays down the line.

With 6 quarterback sacks during his career, Ellison cannot be considered an effective pass rusher. He would be the first to admit that he lacks any real good pass-rush moves. He is light in the trunk (skinny legs) and this causes him to struggle against double teams when he gets fails to stay at a low pad level. He shows marginal hand usage and does not jolt the offensive guards backwards when trying to generate pressure on the quarterback. He does show the athletic agility, quick feet and playing speed to read screen passes and can get out to the flat to make tackles behind the line of scrimmage.

He has made strides in the interior, but lacks consistency. He would be better served in a two-gap system, as he does not the explosiveness to play in the one-gap. Ellison has good natural talent but needs to add lower-body bulk. He is not the type that will generate a strong push into the backfield, but he has the body control to slide down the line and make plays sideline to sideline.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/ellison_atiyyah

TK_Gamer
09-03-2006, 01:52 PM
Atiyyah Ellison 3rd round draft pick carolina panthers 2005 never played a game, singne and cut from practice squad twice

Played in 36 games with 31 starts for Missouri...Tallied 171 tackles, 6.5 sacks, 11 quarterback pressures, two forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and five passes defensed...Began college career at Coffeyville (KS) Community College.

TK_Gamer
09-03-2006, 01:54 PM
this all makes me wonder, what is the cap hit consideration on roabaire? could they be loading up for a bigger trade?

TexanExile
09-03-2006, 01:57 PM
I guess the question is, is.....

Atiyyah Ellison > Robaire Smith?

Edell Sheperad > David Anderson?

Gus Scott > Michael Stone?

Roc Alexander worth taking a chance at losing Chris Taylor?

Or another equation:

Robaire = Seth Wand and Travis Johnson = Spencer?

:shocked

After all the shots this staff has taken at Travis, to keep him and cut Robaire would surprise me. Not that I think Robaire's a Pro Bowler, but...wow, I just didn't see it happening in that order.

texflex513
09-03-2006, 01:58 PM

If this is true does this mean Weaver and or mario will be playing alot of DT this year???

Tulip
09-03-2006, 01:59 PM
So the Texans are only carrying two running backs? Eh?

Hottoddie
09-03-2006, 02:00 PM
Atiyyah Ellison 3rd round draft pick carolina panthers 2005 never played a game, singne and cut from practice squad twice

Played in 36 games with 31 starts for Missouri...Tallied 171 tackles, 6.5 sacks, 11 quarterback pressures, two forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and five passes defensed...Began college career at Coffeyville (KS) Community College.

The sad part is, he couldn't beat out a player that wasn't even drafted.

I still curse Capers & Casserly for taking Pettway in the 7th round, while Jordan Carstens was still on the board. It wasn't like we didn't need DL help. :rolleyes:

Steve5118
09-03-2006, 02:02 PM
If this is true does this mean Weaver and or mario will be playing alot of DT this year???

I'll be very dissapointed if MW spends a lot of time in the interior of the line. I mean, I guess I'm just hoping for the sexy stat lines that I believe he'll get by playing DE.

Mamoo, you're still "viewing" this thread. So, are you watching what you created by :stirpot: or will you continue to stand by your claim. If so, how long will it take for an "official" release to get out?

Jwwillis
09-03-2006, 02:05 PM
I heard they cut Flanagan and brough in "Jelly Bean" Bryant

TK_Gamer
09-03-2006, 02:07 PM
if its true then the texans are in trade talks with someone and needed the cap. and figured we were deep at the DL positions, my guess is a DD replacement is in the works, just a guess . I hope its not some over paid reciever/kick returner from Detroit......

Texans_Chick
09-03-2006, 02:09 PM
More on Atiyyah Ellison (http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149190307700&path=!sports!football!&s=)

Who's hot: A line that might be the deepest in the NFL boasts a starting front four of Peppers, Rucker, Kemoeatu and Jenkins. The backups are Al Wallace, Damione Lewis, Jordan Carstens, Kindal Moorehead and surprising Stanley McClover, a seventh-round draft pick, and most would be competing for starting jobs elsewhere. Even Tony Brown, the co-defensive MVP in NFL Europe last spring, has had moments that demand attention.

Who's not: The team had no choice but to let go a couple of players who no doubt will land on their feet in other NFL cities. Atiyyah Ellison, a third-round pick in 2005, wasn't keeping up with the pack during training camp and the preseason and appeared to be the most vulnerable with cut day approaching.

mamoo
09-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Unless the PR staff sends me a statement that this press release is BS, I stand behind this 100%. I have no idea when the transactions hit all the other wire services. Since I've had it in my hands for almost an hour, I would think it's soon. Another thing to note is the roster stands at 52. There is still one more hole to fill.

TK_Gamer
09-03-2006, 02:12 PM
I'm gonna go to sleep and hopefully wake up to find out it was all a dream, I was impressed and enthusiastic about the player moves to this point. let us pray..

|The.Brand0n|
09-03-2006, 02:13 PM
Man wtf is going on.... :yikes: ... not Robaire!

LBC_Justin
09-03-2006, 02:13 PM
I am leaning towards believing this. If Kubiak and company feel this is the right move then I trust them. They are running the practices, communicating with the players and watching the film. They have the scouts at the other camps so they know their options.

I just hope what ever they do, it makes the Texans a better team.

texanfan2100
09-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Another thing to note is the roster stands at 52. There is still one more hole to fill.

How's this? They were at 53 after the Davis and Wand transactions yesterday. It looks like the waived 4 and added 4 today. By my calculations, they're still at 53. Let me know if I missed something.

mamoo
09-03-2006, 02:17 PM
As always, you should proofread before you post. I left off DB Kevin Garrett. He has been cut too.

TexanFan881
09-03-2006, 02:17 PM
I'd be suprised to see Michael Stone cut, especially since Kubiak was so high on him. If Anderson and Taylor did get cut, they better be put on the practice squad. I would be very disapointed if they weren't considering how much talent and potential that's there for both of them. I hope this isn't true, but as much as I don't want to believe it, I'm going to.

Steve5118
09-03-2006, 02:18 PM
How's this? They were at 53 after the Davis and Wand transactions yesterday. It looks like the waived 4 and added 4 today. By my calculations, they're still at 53. Let me know if I missed something.

According to Mammo's inside info we dropped 4 and picked up 3. Leaving one spot open.

RiotCommander
09-03-2006, 02:19 PM
I know the official roster is 53 but we can have up to 8 additional players for the practice squad correct? I know R.Smith cannot be on that, but we don't have to make so many cuts to get players.

Vinny
09-03-2006, 02:19 PM
I'd be suprised to see Michael Stone cut, especially since Kubiak was so high on him. If Anderson and Taylor did get cut, they better be put on the practice squad. I would be very disapointed if they weren't considering how much talent and potential that's there for both of them. I hope this isn't true, but as much as I don't want to believe it, I'm going to.Stone looked like a plodder to me (too slow)...I wasn't impressed with him much...in the little I could see of his play.

run-david-run
09-03-2006, 02:20 PM
I think we were at 53 before the Wand and DD moves, putting us at 51 now...Also, why did we release Chris Taylor? I though Kubes said he had great promise, kick return skills...etc?

HOUSTON -- Antowain Smith looked good in Houston's last preseason game, but in the end the Texans chose youth over experience when they cut the 34-year-old running back.

Houston released 18 other players, but still must cut two more to get to 53-man limit by the NFL deadline on Saturday.

Coach Gary Kubiak said releasing Smith was a tough decision but they felt rookie Chris Taylor could be more valuable to the team.

"But the bottom line was that it was a decision about youth and about Chris' ability to become a returner, which is something we think he can do in this league," Kubiak said.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2570128

Trap_Star
09-03-2006, 02:26 PM
if its true then the texans are in trade talks with someone and needed the cap. and figured we were deep at the DL positions, my guess is a DD replacement is in the works, just a guess . I hope its not some over paid reciever/kick returner from Detroit......

What about Thomas Jones....:stirpot:

nunusguy
09-03-2006, 02:27 PM
]']:stirpot: where the heck is the link!?
In the thread origionator's imagination.

Vinny
09-03-2006, 02:27 PM
In the thread origionator's imagination.I see IP's, email originations and I cross reference a good bit of info here....I'm inclined to believe him.

RiotCommander
09-03-2006, 02:28 PM
This just in: David Carr, and AJ traded for a pack of smokes, and a Bass Master Pro magazine.

Insideop
09-03-2006, 02:30 PM

So we dropped the Stone and picked up a Roc! I gotcha! :ok:

Steve5118
09-03-2006, 02:34 PM
This just in: David Carr, and AJ traded for a pack of smokes, and a Bass Master Pro magazine.

Link... or else :hunter:

tsip
09-03-2006, 02:36 PM
not on the website, but i'm compelled to believe you.

I, for one, am floored......

Texan Asylum
09-03-2006, 02:36 PM
Here it is folks...

Also released was veteran defensive tackle Robaire Smith, rookie receiver David Anderson, and defensive backs Kevin Garrett and Michael Stone.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-texans-moves&prov=ap&type=lgns

Steve5118
09-03-2006, 02:38 PM
]']This insane it's been an hour!!! Grrrrrrrrr........... I am sleepy from graveyard shift!

I dont like this Robiare being released! Yeah he cant get forward push, but he was a big tub of goo cloging the middle/.

Heck at this point just think of it as entertainment. Mammo if you're putting us on, at least we've been busy for the last 60 minutes. :hides:

Vinny
09-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Here it is folks...

Also released was veteran defensive tackle Robaire Smith, rookie receiver David Anderson, and defensive backs Kevin Garrett and Michael Stone.

A big LOL to the forum knee-jerks. :whip:

|The.Brand0n|
09-03-2006, 02:39 PM
Here it is folks...

RiotCommander
Well Kubiak has been right about everything else, but we sure are not being gentle with anyone who isn't preforming up to their contract.

Edit: We will just have to wait and see if this is the right move. I just worry about our DT depth now.

Big J
I really cant beleive they let Robaire go.....

ArlingtonTexan
I see IP's, email originations and I cross reference a good bit of info here....I'm inclined to believe him.

Except for R. smith none of the names that the origianl poster listed seem surprising or contrived. The average person trying "pretend" on a story like this one would not be worrying with Edell Shepard or Roc Alexander.

UvaldeTexan
09-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Its true. Richard Justice has it on his blog on www.chron.com

Wolf
09-03-2006, 02:40 PM
what i don't get is wouldn't Robair have some kind of trade value? Heck we were going to give up a 7th rounder for cody pickett(if we didn't cut him)

guess I am too old school where you don't give up anything for free.

nunusguy
09-03-2006, 02:41 PM
Here it is folks...
Now I believe it ! But never before a link is provided.

Wolf

in all fairness for every right rumor there are more wrong rumors.

Vinny
what i don't get is wouldn't Robair have some kind of trade value? Heck we were going to give up a 7th rounder for cody pickett(if we didn't cut him)

guess I am too old school where you don't give up anything for free.We over paid him like we overpaid Todd Wade....nobody will trade for bad contracts on average players.

RiotCommander
]']I hope not! Hahhaah Genital! Gentle?

yeah yeah laugh it up funny man =)

D-ReK
09-03-2006, 02:42 PM
Now that it is official, let me say that it is not a big deal that Robaire is being released...For some reason, everybody thought that Payne would be the one who was cut, despite the fact that he compliments the rest of our DL better than Smith...Payne is going to play the nose tackle role in our 4-3, allowing TJ to play the under tackle role and do what he does best, get penetration...

Smith would not fit this role and has never been impressive here...I honestly do not understand the infatuation with him...He was a free agent bust of almost Todd Wade proportion...

Wolf
Now I believe it ! But never before a link is provided.
I agree, I am like you I want to see the link when it is printed, too many false rumors on the information superhighway

Vinny
in all fairness for every right rumor there are more wrong rumors.I tried telling you guys that I thought it was credible...I try to be credible myself and don't let people abuse this place...but some of the newer members don't listen to me much.

RiotCommander
09-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Going to have to give Mamoo some rep because I really thought he was full of it for awhile there.

Steve5118

You win Mammo. Wow, this one is hard to believe. Much cred to you.

Farough
Well, he was right... I believed him to begin with.:hides:

Vinny
09-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Now that it is official, let me say that it is not a big deal that Robaire is being released...For some reason, everybody thought that Payne would be the one who was cut, despite the fact that he compliments the rest of our DL better than Smith...Payne is going to play the nose tackle role in our 4-3, allowing TJ to play the under tackle role and do what he does best, get penetration...

Smith would not fit this role and has never been impressive here...I honestly do not understand the infatuation with him...He was a free agent bust of almost Todd Wade proportion...I don't have a link...but I've been told by someone credible...that he (Seth Payne) was asked to take a pay cut. I donno how that pans out.

ArlingtonTexan
09-03-2006, 02:45 PM
I agree, I am like you I want to see the link when it is printed, too many false rumors on the information superhighway

And none of those false rumors have links?

Wolf
09-03-2006, 02:46 PM
We over paid him like we overpaid Todd Wade....nobody will trade for bad contracts on average players.

I agree with you on that.

TK_Gamer
09-03-2006, 02:46 PM
now we wait for the big cap transaction, you know its comming

nunusguy
09-03-2006, 02:47 PM
Except for R. smith none of the names that the origianl poster listed seem surprising or contrived. The average person trying "pretend" on a story like this one would not be worrying with Edell Shepard or Roc Alexander.
True. But practical jokers sometimes are capable of well thought out, even
sometimes plausible pranks.
My apologies for knocking the credibility of the guy who first put this on the Board, but you gotta bring a link to back it up.

Wolf
09-03-2006, 02:47 PM
And none of those have links?
they do now, earlier there was an hour of speculation

hmmm speaking of speculation.. is chris brown coming now? :heh:
(just joking)

mamoo
09-03-2006, 02:49 PM
If you cracked on me that's fine. I knew the report was coming. Just watch Inside the Game tonight on Ch. 13. Bob McNair will be on.

Wolf
lots of rumors remind me of this quote from starsky and hutch

David Starsky: I like your Lincoln.
Huggy Bear: It's a '76. Won't be out 'til next year. But I know some people that know some people that robbed some people.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0335438/quotes

Nawzer
Robair Smith being cut didn't shock me but I certainly didn't expect it. He hasn't played very well during his tenure here. On the other hand I was surprised to see David Anderson and Chris Taylor cut. Maybe those guy will be in the practice squad? The guys we picked up are solid. I like Edell Shepperd and I think he can be useful if there is an injury situation at that position. I think everyone is forgetting Seth Payne here. I think he's impressed the coaching staff. TJ looked better this preaseason so I can understand R.Smith being cut.

Vinny
09-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Robair Smith being cut didn't shock me but I certainly didn't expect it. He hasn't played very well during his tenure here. On the other hand I was surprised to see David Anderson and Chris Taylor cut. Maybe those guy will be in the practice squad? I think those two are excellent PS candidates.

D-ReK
09-03-2006, 02:51 PM
I don't have a link...but I've been told by someone credible...that he (Seth Payne) was asked to take a pay cut. I donno how that pans out.

So say Payne doesn't take a pay cut, would we then subsequently release him as well? I'm not sure about our cap situation, but all of these prorated bonuses hitting our cap have to be eating up most of our free space, so maybe we're just trying to restructure with Payne and defer some money to a later year...Also, if Payne is released, who do we start in his place, Weaver or Malone?

Interesting speculation, IMO...

Jwwillis
09-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Its true. Richard Justice has it on his blog on www.chron.com

ohhh man. I didnt see what you typed for a while......NICE avatar

D-ReK
09-03-2006, 02:54 PM
]']Muahhahaha Ti'll the end of first quarter of the Eagles where he falls down and grabs his lower leg. Seems to happen to poor Payne every start of the season.

FACT: Seth Payne has missed 14 games since 1999, all of which being in one season...

I have no idea where this "Payne is always hurt" stuff comes from...

Buffi2
09-03-2006, 02:55 PM
From this moment on, when Mamoo speaks, I shall listen and believe.:respect:

Wolf
09-03-2006, 02:56 PM
I tried telling you guys that I thought it was credible...I try to be credible myself and don't let people abuse this place...but some of the newer members don't listen to me much.

very true..now if you can be correct on your ROY ;)

RiotCommander
09-03-2006, 02:57 PM
So say Payne doesn't take a pay cut, would we then subsequently release him as well? I'm not sure about our cap situation, but all of these prorated bonuses hitting our cap have to be eating up most of our free space, so maybe we're just trying to restructure with Payne and defer some money to a later year...Also, if Payne is released, who do we start in his place, Weaver or Malone?

We have been rather free with throwing around money to free agents that have not produced. All of these cuts should free up some money for signings next year. I really don't see it effecting us much this year.

bckey
09-03-2006, 02:58 PM
No running back picked up even though we ir DD and cut A Smith and C Taylor.

Vinny
09-03-2006, 02:59 PM
No running back picked up even though we ir DD and cut A Smith and C Taylor.
I think we address this soon...keep an eye out.

johndoe
09-03-2006, 03:00 PM
on the texans website robair is not on the roster anymore

Texans34Life
09-03-2006, 03:01 PM
Good looking out, Mamoo!

Texans cut 5, claim 4

September 3, 2006

HOUSTON (AP) -- The Houston Texans cut five players, including rookie running back Chris Taylor, and claimed four others off waivers on Sunday.

The move leaves the Texans with just two healthy running backs -- rookie Wali Lundy and second-year player Vernand Morency -- after placing Domanick Davis on the injured reserve on Saturday.

The Texans now have 52 players on their roster, one under the NFL-required limit, so they are likely to add another running back.

Smith, who has started every game the past two seasons in Houston, had 68 tackles and 1 1/2 sacks in 2005. Stone played in 13 games and had 46 tackles last season for New England.

The Texans added defensive backs Roc Alexander and Guss Scott, receiver Edell Shepherd and defensive tackle Atiyyah Ellison.

Shepherd appeared in 16 games last season for Tampa Bay and had six receptions for 103 yards and a touchdown.

dat_boy_yec
09-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Looking at the moves we've made if this is true, I would be totally pissed. This is how I see it.

Michael Stone/ Gus Scott: While Stone is not the greatest Scott has been in the league for two years and besides struggling with injuries this is what he's accomplished. 19 tackles in five games. Keep this in mind five games in two years that should be a red flag the Pats signed him this off-season for a one yr. deal and already dropped him. I think this move sucks.

Grade= F

Edell Shepherd/ Anderson: I'm asumming you meant Shepherd, because I couldn't find any Sheperad. The guy missed a season due to injury and had a total of 141 yds. over 2 seasons and 441 yds. returning kicks. It's nice that he can return kicks, but when there are other receiver's available such as Darius Watts from Denver. I just don't see the logic in this move.

Grade= F

R. Smith/ Ellison= I just can't approve of letting go a contributing vet for someone that has done zero in the league. Again their were other better DT's out there and to be honest this move really disgusts me.

Grade= F-

Garret/ Roc Alexander= While I had hoped Garret would stick around this is the lone move I can somewhat agree with. Roc has experience at returning kicks and can provide the same thing Garret did on defense. Depth.

Grade= B

Taylor= God I hope we can sign this guy to practice squad. Theres a spot open now that he's gone so I have to wonder what they plan to do. Hopefully they will pull off something unbelieavably great to make us forget these moves....... I hope.

Double Barrel
09-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Taylor surprises me a little. I thought he would be our no. 3 as a rookie. Now we've only got 2 QBs and 2 RBs. Bold and interesting moves by Kubiak & Co. :hmmm:

Jwwillis
09-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Looking at the moves we've made if this is true, I would be totally pissed. This is how I see it.

Michael Stone/ Gus Scott: While Stone is not the greatest Scott has been in the league for two years and besides struggling with injuries this is what he's accomplished. 19 tackles in five games. Keep this in mind five games in two years that should be a red flag the Pats signed him this off-season for a one yr. deal and already dropped him. I think this move sucks.

Grade= F

Edell Shepherd/ Anderson: I'm asumming you meant Shepherd, because I couldn't find any Sheperad. The guy missed a season due to injury and had a total of 141 yds. over 2 seasons and 441 yds. returning kicks. It's nice that he can return kicks, but when there are other receiver's available such as Darius Watts from Denver. I just don't see the logic in this move.

Grade= F

R. Smith/ Ellison= I just can't approve of letting go a contributing vet for someone that has done zero in the league. Again their were other better DT's out there and to be honest this move really disgusts me.

Grade= F-

Garret/ Roc Alexander= While I had hoped Garret would stick around this is the lone move I can somewhat agree with. Roc has experience at returning kicks and can provide the same thing Garret did on defense. Depth.

Grade= B

Taylor= God I hope we can sign this guy to practice squad. Theres a spot open now that he's gone so I have to wonder what they plan to do. Hopefully they will pull off something unbelieavably great to make us forget these moves....... I hope.

WOW this looks like one of my old report cards.

Porky
09-03-2006, 03:10 PM
My guess is we pick up a RB now to complete the 53 man roster. I would have thought that would be Ron Dayne, but why wouldn't that be announced at the same time. I wonder if maybe a trade is in the works instead? Chris Brown anyone??:poker:

Nawzer
Ron Dayne was cut by the Broncos. Any chance we go after him?

FirstTexansFan
WOW this looks like one of my old report cards.

I had flashbacks to when we had to hand our paper back to the student behind us and let them grade our papers....about the same meaning too :)

pittbull
09-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Simply unreal! Smith is sommebody we need to ring a nasty streak. I think they are trying to clear cap room.

ArlingtonTexan
09-03-2006, 03:11 PM

Grade= F

Grade= F

Grade= F-

Grade= B

when the texans were talking about waiver claims what did you expect? the "names" like Watts aren't really any better than E. Sheppards of the world just have a more familiar name. Most of these waiver moves never amount to much either way, positive or negative, except getting rid of a guy who has never performed up to his overpriced contract.

DRAMA
09-03-2006, 03:12 PM
]']I be god damned!!

You may indeed....:hides:

Jwwillis
09-03-2006, 03:21 PM
http://www.eng.mu.edu/wintersj/images/images-th/liar.jpg

Moderators do we have to have these posts on the board. I mean there is no reference to football. Well american football anyway. A political statement and a link to a soccer player high light reel hardly qualifies.

AUSTexan
09-03-2006, 03:22 PM
I really hope this doesn't return Weaver to Tackle... I've been hoping the staff learned their lessons from the first two pre-season games...

It sure sniffs like they're making a push for a big dollar running back via trade, doesn't it?!

Vinny
09-03-2006, 03:22 PM
Moderators do we have to have these posts on the board. I mean there is no reference to football. Well american football anyway. A political statement and a link to a soccer player high light reel hardly qualifies.try to take a few deep breaths...unless you are in Pasadena.

nunusguy
09-03-2006, 03:23 PM
I don't have a link...but I've been told by someone credible...that he (Seth Payne) was asked to take a pay cut. I donno how that pans out.
Wonder if they've approach TJ about downsizing his contract to ?
I guess I thought that Robaire was the top DT, with TJ being # 2, but apparently not ?
TJ must have really come on strong this preseason in the eyes of Kubiak and his D coaches ?

RiotCommander
09-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Moderators do we have to have these posts on the board. I mean there is no reference to football. Well american football anyway. A political statement and a link to a soccer player high light reel hardly qualifies.

Oh come on have a sense of humor. He thought the guy was lying so he gave you a visual reference. I hardly think it needed to be deleted.

Jwwillis
09-03-2006, 03:24 PM
Ok thank you for your consideration

"Discuss Texans football here! Football talk only please"

/shrug

AUSTexan
try to take a few deep breaths...unless you are in Pasadena.

Now that's funny... I haven't lived in the houston area in ten years and I still remember that smell...

Grid
dont get your panties in a twist :D.. its a messageboard picture.

Like this one

http://www.iamcolin.com/images/bushorly.jpg

It really has no political context. And even if it did..its pretty meaningless anyway.. no point in trying to moderate it.

chuckm
09-03-2006, 03:26 PM

Good job mamoo ...... quality over quantity any day ....

CloakNNNdagger
09-03-2006, 03:27 PM
I'm tryng to think that there is a grand plan in the making by Kubs, but I am somewhat nervous. I look at Roc who basically is being called a DB..........but from I remember has virtually only been in games as a STer and kick returner. He has performed admirably in these situations, but he seems to be quite a luxury without proven DB skills.

Hottoddie
I really hope this doesn't return Weaver to Tackle... I've been hoping the staff learned their lessons from the first two pre-season games...

It sure sniffs like they're making a push for a big dollar running back via trade, doesn't it?!

Actually, one of the best surges I saw all preseason came when Mario & Weaver were playing DT with Babin & Peek on the corners. They literally collapsed the pocket in the blink of an eye. I wonder if that could be something we see more of during the year?

Wolf
http://forums.titansonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18542&page=2

titan fans are wanting him back

mancunian
09-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Taylor surprises me a little. I thought he would be our no. 3 as a rookie. Now we've only got 2 QBs and 2 RBs. Bold and interesting moves by Kubiak & Co. :hmmm:

I get the feeling that there will be another RB added sooner rather than later. There'll be a few available.

Vinny
09-03-2006, 03:29 PM
http://forums.titansonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18542&page=2

titan fans are wanting him back
They need D linemen in the worst way.

Wolf
09-03-2006, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if their where more moves(a few) as more and more people pass waivers and become UFA

09-03-2006, 03:34 PM
I really don't know why some of you guys are so quick to shoot down anybody who provides a different perspective / point of view.

this just in, sometimes rumors are true. accept it.

CloakNNNdagger
09-03-2006, 03:38 PM
I'm also nervous over DB Scott who never played a down as a rookie in 2004, having been put on IR for a knee injury. Then he landed on IR again October last year................the combination of injury and inexperience=big time nervous.
If these moves came at training camp, I'd dare say everyone would be hollering "training camp fodder."

RiotCommander
09-03-2006, 03:39 PM
They need D linemen in the worst way.

I agree here, at this point someone out of the stands could run for 100 on them (Titans). I don't think we have to feel bad for R.Smith. Someone is going to grab that guy.

TexansLucky13
09-03-2006, 03:43 PM
The Robaire Smith cut startles me a little bit. Let's hope Kubiak sees something in the new DT. We can't afford to lose depth there, thats for sure.

jerek
09-03-2006, 03:44 PM

With you on this one. I had projected Taylor to end up making the team, based on what I saw of him early into camp. He didn't knock my socks off in games but he still looked sufficient. Will be interested to see if he makes practice squad.

AUSTexan
09-03-2006, 03:46 PM
Actually, one of the best surges I saw all preseason came when Mario & Weaver were playing DT with Babin & Peek on the corners. They literally collapsed the pocket in the blink of an eye. I wonder if that could be something we see more of during the year?

Maybe I missed that... but I sure remember the KC game where he was not only dominated, he was repeatedly dominated by their OG's.

ojthecat
09-03-2006, 03:48 PM
DL Atiyyah Ellison--Panthers
WR Edell Shepherd --Buccaneers
FS Guss Scott --Patriots
CB Roc Alexander --Broncos

Snapple
09-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Interesting.

CloakNNNdagger
09-03-2006, 03:50 PM
DL Atiyyah Ellison--Panthers
WR Edell Shepherd --Buccaneers
FS Guss Scott --Patriots
CB Roc Alexander --Broncos

Hello.........where have you been for the last hour??

football freak
09-03-2006, 03:51 PM
2 hours

CloakNNNdagger
09-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Looking at the history of our new DT.......he's been "waived" at throughout his short NFL career.........NO NFL experience!!!!!!!...........a new category, ROSTER FODDER????

Waived by Carolina (9/2/06)...Signed as a free agent from practice squad by Carolina (10/31/05)...Signed to practice squad by Carolina (9/27/05)...Waived by Carolina (9/24/05)...Signed as a free agent from practice squad by Carolina (9/14/05)...Signed to practice squad by Carolina (9/5/05)...Waived by Carolina (9/3/05)...Selected by Carolina in the third round (89th overall) of the 2005 NFL Draft (4/23/05).

Porky
09-03-2006, 03:59 PM
I would have taken Matt Ware over Gus Scott. I think Ware might make a pretty dandy FS. Admittedly, I know virtually nothing about Gus, so until proven otherwise, it's in Kubes we trust for me. The only Gus I know who played football was a kicking mule. :tomato:

Hottoddie
09-03-2006, 03:59 PM
So then, what's your opinion on what the Texans are planning to do for another RB?

My thinking is, they could be waiting on medical test results for Davenport or Dayne.

Or, they could have a trade in the works. How about Kevin Faulk from New England? With Dillon & Maroney in the fold, they might be willing to let Faulk go for a draft pick. Thus, filling our open roster spot.

Other players that might be getting a look, are Chris Brown (as others have suggested), Cedric Cobbs, or perhaps Brian Calhoun (weren't the Texans pretty high on him at one time?).

TexansLucky13
09-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Or, they could have a trade in the works. How about Kevin Faulk from New England? With Dillon & Maroney in the fold, they might be willing to let Faulk go for a draft pick. Thus, filling our open roster spot.

Faulk isn't worth a draft pick or a trade. This comes from a good ol Pats fan. Personally I would love to see Faulk on the team but he is no different than Antowain Smith.

P.S. - Cobbs would be an excellent trade. I agree with that one. I would love to get that guy, he has looked like a stud.

PapaL
09-03-2006, 04:09 PM
FACT: Seth Payne has missed 14 games since 1999, all of which being in one season...

I have no idea where this "Payne is always hurt" stuff comes from...

How many parts of other games has he missed? I'm guessing that is where it comes from.

mamoo
09-03-2006, 04:14 PM
When you see a defensive lineman go down in a game, only to return later, you are seeing a soccer injury. It just gives the defense a chance to rest. He's not injured. It's a very common practice in the NFL and was used extensively by the Texans the last few years since the defense was always on the field.

Vinny
09-03-2006, 04:15 PM
When you see a defensive lineman go down in a game, only to return later, you are seeing a soccer injury. It just gives the defense a chance to rest. He's not injured. It's a very common practice in the NFL and was used extensively by the Texans the last few years since the defense was always on the field.It's only common if you have no depth.

ArlingtonTexan
09-03-2006, 04:16 PM
How many parts of other games has he missed? I'm guessing that is where it comes from.

Not enough to justify calling him "always injuried"

tsip
09-03-2006, 04:21 PM
Well Kubiak has been right about everything else, but we sure are not being gentle with anyone who isn't preforming up to their contract.

Edit: We will just have to wait and see if this is the right move. I just worry about our DT depth now.

IMO, we could not get anymore 'gentle' with Carr...

FILO_girl
09-03-2006, 04:24 PM
This just sucks. Just sucks, I tell ya. It blows too, but really sucks.

Robaire was my fave Texan and I was really liking Stone.

This sucks. I am all sorts of pissed now. Great. Just great.

I am not getting what is going on here. I just don't understand...

PapaL
09-03-2006, 04:25 PM

Didnt you also like Billy M.? Or am I mixing you up with someone else?

Grid
09-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Im thinking that we are building an aggressive defense that is centered around the pressure of our front 4.. and Robaire wasnt real good at getting pressure.

FILO_girl
09-03-2006, 04:28 PM
Didnt you also like Billy M.? Or am I mixing you up with someone else?

That was SheTexan. I was all about Jamie Sharper (still am a fan of his).

edo783
09-03-2006, 04:29 PM
While IMO, Smith didn't play up to expectations, it concerns me on the depth level. It looked like we were set for a fairly good D-line rotation that would allow us to have fairly fresh guys in the 4th quarter. I hope the new guy can provide at least equal quality time as Smith (I doubt they make the move if he can't). I wonder if he also was asked to restructure his contract like Payne is rumored and he balked and that caused the move. Looks like we are clearing some cap room which is kind of interesting all by itself.

K.D.
09-03-2006, 04:30 PM

None of us know what's really going on, but just chill out for a minute, it ain't that bad. If Smith is/was your fave, you shouldn't be too broken hearted, the guy really never did anyhting to impress. Just sit back and drink a cold'one, you'll feel much better. JMO:stirpot:

PapaL
09-03-2006, 04:30 PM
That was SheTexan. I was all about Jamie Sharper (still am a fan of his).

Anyone else you like on the roster? LoL. Just giving you a hard time.

PS
I still have my Sharper battle red jersey.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
09-03-2006, 04:35 PM
So were those 4 the only guys we claimed off waivers or are we still waiting for more?

Daonly
Maybe they Plan on moving Weaver back to DT and starting Peek or Babin at DE with Panye as the DT Backup?? Hmm :yikes:

FILO_girl
None of us know what's really going on, but just chill out for a minute, it ain't that bad. If Smith is/was your fave, you shouldn't be too broken hearted, the guy really never did anyhting to impress. Just sit back and drink a cold'one, you'll feel much better. JMO:stirpot:

Watch those opinions, I am female ya know. *tick tick tick*
:yikes:

And a cranky one right now too.

Looking for an explanation, the other fans here at my house are confused as well.

K.D.
09-03-2006, 04:40 PM
Watch those opinions, I am female ya know. *tick tick tick*
:yikes:

And a cranky one right now too.

Looking for an explanation, the other fans here at my house are confused as well.

Ok, well in that case, I'm going to drink me a cold'one and just chill out then. The last thing I want is a cranky chick jumping down my throat.:hides:

nunusguy
09-03-2006, 04:42 PM
It looked like we were set for a fairly good D-line rotation that would allow us to have fairly fresh guys in the 4th quarter.
Kubiak has said quite a few times that the DLine was the strength of our
D, maybe the whole team even though he did say he'd like to improve the depth.

FILO_girl
09-03-2006, 04:44 PM
Ok, well in that case, I'm going to drink me a cold'one and just chill out then. The last thing I want is a cranky chick jumping down my throat.:hides:

LOL! Smart move. :shades:
I am not near as ticked as the kid. HE is ticked over the Taylor cut. Robaire has been a personal fave for his play AND he is so cool with the fans.

TexanFan881
09-03-2006, 04:50 PM
I guess that means it's time for me to change my avatar, even though I feel Taylor deserved to make this team. I'd be really ticked off if he isn't put on the practice squad immediatly. :(

Marcus
09-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Well, I just got on, and saw this thread.

I'm not surprised at all that Robaire was cut. In fact, I was looking for him to get the axe on Saturday. Kubiak, when discussing the DL on his last two radio shows, had praise for Travis Johnson on how much he stepped it up in camp and during games. But on both occasions he mentioned that he was "trying to keep Mario and Weaver on the ends", but he was "still looking for another player to get more push on the inside". And with all the players on defense he singled out for praise, including Seth Paine, he never mentioned Smith. Never on any occasion whatsoever did I ever hear him talk about Smith.

aj.
09-03-2006, 04:52 PM
31 million in signing bonuses alone to Walker, Wade, and Smith. I've been *****ing about it for a couple of years and finally can see the light at the end of the tunnel when can cleanse ourselves of those ridiculous contracts after '07. Kubiak has been making inferences to his displeasure with the middle of the d-line for some time now. Hopefully Travis gets the message.

Grid
09-03-2006, 04:54 PM
31 million in signing bonuses alone to Walker, Wade, and Smith. I've been *****ing about it for a couple of years and finally can see the light at the end of the tunnel when can cleanse ourselves of those ridiculous contracts after '07.

looks like we will have a buttload of cap space at right about the same time we are solidified as a contender for the playoffs :D

K.D.
09-03-2006, 04:54 PM
Yo TexansFan88, man I give you much prop's on that avatar. That's awesome,dogg!!:cool:

Runner
09-03-2006, 04:55 PM
When you see a defensive lineman go down in a game, only to return later, you are seeing a soccer injury. It just gives the defense a chance to rest. He's not injured. It's a very common practice in the NFL and was used extensively by the Texans the last few years since the defense was always on the field.

Your credibility just went up with me. I had heard about the Texans using this practice before from someone who would know. I don't remember anyone commenting on it before.

clandestin
09-03-2006, 04:56 PM
31 million in signing bonuses alone to Walker, Wade, and Smith. I've been *****ing about it for a couple of years and finally can see the light at the end of the tunnel when can cleanse ourselves of those ridiculous contracts after '07.

Either Rick Smith has a personal vendetta against Casserly, or these were some of worst signings in the leage over the last few years. (Is Greenwood next?)

Marcus
09-03-2006, 04:57 PM
Ok, so how much dead money are we looking at for the next couple of years?

(including DD's contract if he's cut next year, as I suspect)

GP
09-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Payne, IIRC, was hurt badly in a game against New Orleans a few seasons ago (At the Super Dome, BTW). His leg stuck in the turf and his knee was injured. Might have been the second or third game of the season, and he was gone the rest of the season, right? It was the same game that Carr took the ball on a naked bootleg to the left only to find a defender standing in his way of the endzone...Carr juked to the right and then went left for the TD, making the defender whiff in the process.

I think this is cause for the bulk of games he missed. Gary Walker was the guy who was in-and-out of the lineup all the time. Payne healed up, and he's been back consistently ever since IIRC.

I'll almost bet my last dollar that Robaire was asked to re-structure his contract and he prolly balked at the notion. And I don't really want to know for sure. Why? Because there is a guy making a lot more who ought to be offerig to re-structure his own contract if you know what I mean. I'm just getting to a point where I am fully on-board with Kubiak and what his vision for this team has been: We're going to win Super Bowls. No more of this old "We're just glad to be here" mentality. We want to be the next dynasty, a long-lived football legacy.

I was upset about us cutting Robaire for about five minutes until I got a mental image of Kubiak standing on the sideline, casting that long stare out across the field...headset firmly on his head....nobody near him...big-***** play chart in his hand...and just standing there like he owned the place. I know for sure that we have a coach who's going to earn his keep, and he's going to make sure every one of his players earn theirs.

Go Texans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aj.
09-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Either [a] Rick Smith has a personal vendetta against Casserly, or [b]these were some of worst signings in the leage over the last few years. (Is Greenwood next?)

I pick b.

Carr Bombed
09-03-2006, 05:02 PM
Either Rick Smith has a personal vendetta against Casserly, or these were some of worst signings in the leage over the last few years. (Is Greenwood next?)

I remember during the offseason that we signed Wade and Smith, ESPN did a top 10 of the best free agents in free agency and Smith and wade were in the middle of the pack in the the top ten. Just goes to show you how smart ESPN is at judging talent and predictions.

Having said that the only thing I fear about Smith being gone is the rushing defense. Smith's wide load alone clogged up the middle.

Honoring Earl 34
09-03-2006, 05:04 PM
Looking at the history of our new DT.......he's been "waived" at throughout his short NFL career.........NO NFL experience!!!!!!!...........a new category, ROSTER FODDER????

Waived by Carolina (9/2/06)...Signed as a free agent from practice squad by Carolina (10/31/05)...Signed to practice squad by Carolina (9/27/05)...Waived by Carolina (9/24/05)...Signed as a free agent from practice squad by Carolina (9/14/05)...Signed to practice squad by Carolina (9/5/05)...Waived by Carolina (9/3/05)...Selected by Carolina in the third round (89th overall) of the 2005 NFL Draft (4/23/05).
You have to remember Carolina has one of the best DLs in the NFL . He may be a starter for the Titans .

TexanStatGuru
09-03-2006, 05:04 PM
I think the move of Smith has to be tied to the staff's comfort level with T.Johnson and the Babin/Peek combo and a desire for youth. If they are comfortable with T.Johnson as a starter and they think Babin (especially) can handle the run, then the versatility of our line is it's depth. Payne, T.Johnson, Weaver, and M.Williams can all play DT if the situation warrants. Smith may not have been in line for a lot of playing time.

I don't know the specifics about next season, but the Texans definitely take a cap hit this year for cutting Smith. If I remember right, his signing bonus that was spread over the life of his contract (cap-wise) gets accelerated to it all applying to this year. It doesn't clear any cap room for us to sign anybody new. I don't think that was the issue.

K.D.
09-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Having said that the only thing I fear about Smith being gone is the rushing defense. Smith's wide load alone clogged up the middle.

Yeah I agree his wide load clogged up the middle and that's all it did. We need someone to clog it up and also make an impact some kind of way. One thing I like about Payne, he might not be blessed with outstanding explossiveness, but you can tell the guy gives it his all on every play and this is why Kube's kept him on, regardless of pay cuts.JMO

Kaiser Toro
09-03-2006, 05:13 PM
I have zero problems with the cuts. Smith was ineffective and overpaid in my opinion. Kubiak and GM Smith are setting up not just a new look and atiitude on the field, but they are sending a message out to the players and agents in the league that we measure player's value much differently than the past regime. Yes I was biting my tongue not to mention Carr, but time will tell and believe Kubiak will continue to do what is best for this team.

ArlingtonTexan
09-03-2006, 05:19 PM

At the time of the signings (I will include Greenwood also) none of these players had proven to be anymore than mediocore. while I understand that an expansion franchise needs to overpay somewhat all of these represent out of control type spending.

jerek
09-03-2006, 05:24 PM
I like the cuts, except I'm not sure about the Taylor cut. Not just cause I was pumping him up early in camp (I was) but because I think he's got what it takes. Will be interesting to see if he makes practice squad and/or is picked up elsewhere.

How dare you people not support every one of our players and badmouth them now that they've been cut. Morlon Greenwood has a family too :rolleyes:

Grid
09-03-2006, 05:28 PM
I have a feeling that Taylor wont get picked up by anyone else and we will get to put him on the practice squad.

Malloy
09-03-2006, 05:31 PM
I smell salary cap cleanup for next year. Good thing IMO :)

TEXANS MVP
09-03-2006, 05:33 PM
I have a feeling that Taylor wont get picked up by anyone else and we will get to put him on the practice squad.
THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE CUT TAYLOR...

Malloy
09-03-2006, 05:34 PM
THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE CUT TAYLOR...

Apperently he's not ready to rush in the NFL yet, he may need to spend a year in the PS, and that's where I think he'll end up.

Hervoyel
09-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Apperently he's not ready to rush in the NFL yet, he may need to spend a year in the PS, and that's where I think he'll end up.

I hope so too. I think a year practicing this system will do wonders for his game. Chris Taylor will do an Obi Wan on the Texans (which in this case is a good thing)

"If you cut me and sign me to the practice squad now I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine"

Malloy
09-03-2006, 06:01 PM
"If you cut me and sign me to the practice squad now I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine"

As long as I do not get to see his saber :)

blockhead83
09-03-2006, 06:14 PM
I'm shocked to see Robaire cut, IMO he was our best DT at this point in time. His salary was incredibly inflated, analagous to Wade's, but Capers and Co. were paying average players super star salaries because they were having trouble attracting free agents. This really worries me about our interior DL now. Mario and Weaver are more effective as DE's on a down to down basis. TJ has question mark written all over him, and Payne was awesome pre-injury, but will he be able to regain that form? He was third on our depth charts, which casts some doubt on him as well.

Everyone was very skeptical with our draft, but Kubiak looks like he came away with aces. Maybe a few weeks from now these transactions will look a little better.

Malloy
09-03-2006, 06:30 PM
Everyone was very skeptical with our draft, but Kubiak looks like he came away with aces. Maybe a few weeks from now these transactions will look a little better.

Whether the changes will pan out or not, I'm glad that we have a HC with this team that DOES make choices and changes.

This is something I picked up during some phase of WWII-research in regards to motivation, morale and how to get the best officers. Before the WWII the German military followed this doctrine: For an officer, it is better to make a bad decision than no decision at all.
Call it whatever you want, spunk, initiative, do or dare; I like someone who acts knowing that things may end up worse, than people so afraid of possible failure that they do nothing at all.

No, Kubiak is no Nazi, nor is he crazy, but he is a man that acts, knowing that he may fail, but acts anyway. And that I like! :)

TexanSam
09-03-2006, 06:31 PM
While I'm surprised at Robaire being cut, it's not like we cut a star in the making here. He was mediocre at best while with the Texans. I'm not sure about the other 4 guys we signed, but I trust Kubiak knows what he's doing.

Brandon420tx
09-03-2006, 06:38 PM
After I took a nap, I woke up feeling refreshed.

Thus after the refreshed feeling I came to check up on this thread to see if finally a link had been posted. It had, so I began to think about the ramifications, good and bad, of what had transpired.

The Robaire Cut

The Good: I can see this as an attempt for 2 things. 1) to get younger and 2) to let the Texans manipulate the cap better. Now Smith might not have been old, but he wasn't exactly youthful and he was probably warped by the years at 3-4 where he was told to hold is ground and tie up lineman. He hasn't been none as a penetrating force in Houston since his first few games here. Looking back at his sack this pre-season, the QB was forced upward in the pocket when Robaire got him.

The Bad: Letting him go means we're losing experiance along the D-line. With TJ in his second year (1st year back in 4-3), and this being Mario, Peek, and Babins first time on the D-line in the NFL, our only experiance at the D-line is Payne, Weaver, and Kalu. (and Malone, but he's young too) He was also a big body that was hard to run through, although he could be run around but still, he knocked out a whole running gap with his presence.

I guess he's the only big one

I was very high on Anderson, and hopefully he makes our PS, same goes with Chris Taylor (and is Earl Cochran available for the practice squad?)

I don't know anything about the guys we picked up.

Atiyyah Ellison, well, the Giants are deep on the D-line, so lets give him a chance and after 1 game of performance we can criticism him just like everyone else:stirpot:

TexanFan881
09-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Edell Shepard is the guy who dropped the TD in the playoffs for the Bucs and cost them of moving on in the playoffs last year :brickwall I would much rather have just kept Anderson on the roster.

Jwwillis
09-03-2006, 06:47 PM
I just had a terrible thought. What if the Titans get Smith, will he be smart enough to give our division rivals insight as to how kubiaks playbook looks? I mean more than can be obtained on film?

09-03-2006, 07:00 PM
umm, i dont think that's a concern. i don't think he gave us much insight on the titans when he came from there. he's just a player, not a coach.

aj.
09-03-2006, 07:02 PM
I just had a terrible thought. What if the Titans get Smith, will he be smart enough to give our division rivals insight as to how kubiaks playbook looks? I mean more than can be obtained on film?
If past performance is indicative of the future, and if Robaire returns to Tennessee, it can only mean one thing. He will have two good games per year and they will both be against us.

PapaL
09-03-2006, 07:07 PM
Any question who is the new Sheriff in town? I take it the players now know to either play hard or start packing. This aint last years Texans.

aj.
09-03-2006, 07:08 PM
Any question who is the new Sheriff in town? I take it the players now know to either play hard or start packing. This aint last years Texans.

I was about to say that but you saved me the trouble. Now all they need to do is translate all this to W's.

HeartofHouston
09-03-2006, 07:24 PM
I'm not exatcly sure what to say about this cut (RoBear) i considered him the best DT we had on the roster but for whatever reason Smith and Kube says he is not the man so there is nothing else that could be said about that.

It only raises more questions in my opinion. for instance... by them cutting RoBear are they saying that they are happy with the injury prone Seth Payne and inconsistent T. Johnson. or are they saying that Payne and Weaver is what we are looking at? or are they saying that Weaver and Johnson is the future? I'm not quite sure but nevertheless i'm excited to see how this whole thing plays out, but i must admit that it worries me.

So we'll have..

Peek/Babin/Weaver - Weaver/Johnson - Payne - Williams

the line up still looks good no matter how you slice it so i wish the DL all the best of luck and encourage them to show everybody how these NEW Texans play football.

:fans:

Divebomb
09-03-2006, 07:35 PM
DT RoBear was a shocker in my eyes, but TJ has been kicking major butt this preseason, and Weaver is the leader of this Def. Ro will be missed thats for sure but hey, out with the Capers Crew in with the new.

aj.
09-03-2006, 07:36 PM
the injury prone Seth Payne

It's beyond me where this stuff comes from.

Payne has played in all 16 games in 6 of the last 7 seasons. His only injury was a major one when he tore up his knee on the horrible rat infested turf at the Superdome in front of many of us in Week 2 of 2003. It was the last game played on that surface before they changed over to field turf. He missed the rest of the 2003 season.

PapaL
09-03-2006, 07:38 PM

Payne has played in all 16 games in 6 of the last 7 seasons. His only injury was a major one when he tore up his knee on the horrible rat infested turf at the Superdome in front of many of us in Week 2 of 2003. It was the last game played on that surface before they changed over to field turf. He missed the rest of the 2003 season.

LoL, Tell us how you really feel about that field.

HeartofHouston
09-03-2006, 08:29 PM
really hmmm.. you're prolly correct about that it seems like he misses wayyyy more time than that.. I apologize my mistake.

RTP2110
09-03-2006, 09:32 PM
I'm surprised they went after Edell Sheppard instead of taking a chance on Charles Rogers.

thunderkyss
09-03-2006, 09:35 PM
I'm surprised they went after Edell Sheppard instead of taking a chance on Charles Rogers.

Doesn't Rogers have an attitude problem??

We still want character guys first.

K.D.
09-03-2006, 09:38 PM

I thought they would have looked at Rogers, but you know we are a classy org. I'm pretty sure the substance abuse situation came up and I really don't blame them. You really can't put trust in someone who is one HI away from not playing football at all. JMO

RiotCommander
09-03-2006, 09:44 PM
I thought they would have looked at Rogers, but you know we are a classy org. I'm pretty sure the substance abuse situation came up and I really don't blame them. You really can't put trust in someone who is one HI away from not playing football at all. JMO

Yeah one day on the football field the next day in the outback with Ricky Williams. puff puff give.

HeartofHouston
09-03-2006, 11:00 PM
Next is Marcus Vick "Mr. I said NO onions!" (points a gun)

Runner
09-04-2006, 12:14 AM

It may have been Payne or Robaire. We'd start looking thin if it was both. I'd like to be privy to the staff's master plan - we seem to be sacrificing good depth in some areas.

Hervoyel
09-04-2006, 12:15 AM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to aj. again.

Wolf
09-04-2006, 12:17 AM
only thing I can think of is salary cap mgmt..

Peek,Babin,Williams,Weaver,Payne,TJ,and Kalu

maybe trying to save some money now and open up things for 2007

Runner
09-04-2006, 12:25 AM
How dare you people not support every one of our players and badmouth them now that they've been cut. Morlon Greenwood has a family too :rolleyes:

Criticizing a player's game and calling him unfounded names are two different things, even if you want to continue to try to confuse the issue.

I do forget though, Texans fans are the same fans that dumped beer on Carr's pregnant wife. I guess I shouldn't expect any better.

GP
09-04-2006, 12:29 AM
delete

jerek
09-04-2006, 01:13 AM
Criticizing a player's game and calling him unfounded names are two different things, even if you want to continue to try to confuse the issue.

I do forget though, Texans fans are the same fans that dumped beer on Carr's pregnant wife. I guess I shouldn't expect any better.

Not sure I dig your implication. Agree that "name-calling" -- if I catch your drift -- isn't called for. Dumping beer on a player's wife is inexcusable.

TexanSam
09-04-2006, 02:05 AM

Players get cut all the time and get picked up by teams inside the division or on their schedule. I'm sure if Smith was re-signed by the Titans, he would have some tips when they play us but not much more than that.

aj.
09-04-2006, 10:50 AM
One little bit of worthless trivia I didn't know was that Rick Smith recruited Robaire out of HS when he was in Spartanland. So there's a little history there.

powerfuldragon
09-04-2006, 11:52 AM
I had a feeling Mamoo wasn't lying...

Lucky
09-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Sometimes, it is who you know.

Roc Alexander - Was with Kubiak and the Bronco contingent in '04 & '05. Has returned kicks in the NFL & is a good special teamer.
Ron Dayne - Produced in Denver under Kubiak in a reserve role. Without DD, the Texans need a vet in the backfield.
Guss Scott - Coached by Jon Hoke for a couple of seasons at Florida.
Edell Sheperad - Coached by Kyle Shanahan at Tampa Bay. Also a an experienced NFL kick returner.
Atiyyah Ellison - No known connections with Texans coaching staff.

Oh, and Mamoo-Mamoo!

powerfuldragon
09-04-2006, 01:42 PM
i thought it was nanoo nanoo.

McMvp9
09-05-2006, 05:22 PM
Players get cut all the time and get picked up by teams inside the division or on their schedule. I'm sure if Smith was re-signed by the Titans, he would have some tips when they play us but not much more than that.

Robaire Smith IS a Titan again...

kingh99
09-05-2006, 05:50 PM

Kyle Shananhan wanted Shepherd. And based on what he's got cooking with Derrick Lewis I am inclined to get excited about Shepherd. Lewis should be starting based on what he's done in the preseason.

FILO_girl
09-05-2006, 06:20 PM
Titans | Team agrees to terms with R. Smith
Tue, 5 Sep 2006 14:34:21 -0700

The Tennessee Titans have announced agreeing to contract terms with free agent DL Robaire Smith (Texans). Details of the agreement were not disclosed.
kffl.com

This isn't a good thing...
I think this will come back and bite us in the butt. Call it instinct or whatever, but I think we will pay dearly for this cut.

aj.
09-05-2006, 06:59 PM
If past performance is indicative of what we can expect in the future, RS will have two good games this year and both will be against us.

I'm brought back to the first day of (was it OTA's?) when Robaire and Flanagan got into a 'skirmish' -- it wasn't pretty. After practice, Gary led off his first address to the team by telling them to the effect that "I don't care who you are, any more of that and you're not going to be here."

Pietzsa
09-05-2006, 08:19 PM
The homepage now has Travis Johnson listed as number 99. It didn't take him long to give up on 75. It's a cool number and maybe he'll actually get it called out on Sundays for good reasons.

syberlan
09-05-2006, 08:50 PM
It's amazing how quickly we feed on our own.....
Sorry for the late post, and thanks for breaking a newsflash.
Sorry you took so much heat. I would apologize and admit you were right had I disparaged your character. And I know I've probably posted less than you.

Go Texans.

GP
09-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Nobody is scared of the Titans anymore. Not even with Robaire Smith on their team. They are going to be among the worst overall defensive units out there this season. Bank on it.

If the TEXANS cut Robaire and the TITANS picked him up, then that says all you need to know.

I think we get caught up in the "Oh, this is going to bite us in the rear" mentality too often when we cut a long-timer who was fairly talented (at best). Look at what Coleman, Glenn, and Sharper have done (individually) to show us that they should have been kept on our team instead of getting cut. In fact, look at Wells, Hollings, Billy Miller, etc. Where are those guys? Cut. Some draft picks pan out, and some do not. I think the NFL is perhaps the deepest in terms of talent in all of professional sports. It's dang hard to make an NFL team and stick around for very long. I think Robaire was better a few seasons ago, but I think he was cut by the Titans because they had drafted better talent and could afford to let him go. Now, they've drafted poorly or have had to let go of good defensive linemen due to the nature of the beast that is free agency...and they MUST get an average guy like Robaire to at least stay decent.

Someone should trademark the "In the NFL, it's 'What have you done for me lately'..." comment. It rings so very true. What you did three years ago has no real impact on today's game if you're in the last stages of your career. We have been cutting guys that are past their prime, guys who were probably past their primes even when Capers brought them here.

Which is why I had been scratching my head when I saw we had picked up Antowain Smith at the beginning of camp. I would never have figured Kubiak to do that. We signed McCleon because we were desperate for a CB...and Titans are signing Robaire because they are desperate for d-linemen. It's the circle of life. Is our defensive secondary going to be the tops in the league? Prolly not. But neither is Titans d-linemen. Again, it's all in the context of the situation.

Robaire served his purpose well while he was here. He'll do OK with the Titans, but I think it's bombastic to say he's gonna' "rip it up" because we cut him. He's the enemy now, and our linemen will have no problem laying the wood to him just as much as he wants to do the same to us.

TEXANS84
09-05-2006, 09:25 PM
Only scary thing I get out of this is that Robaire knows the playbook, and now plays for a division rival.

TEXANS84
09-05-2006, 09:26 PM
The homepage now has Travis Johnson listed as number 99. It didn't take him long to give up on 75. It's a cool number and maybe he'll actually get it called out on Sundays for good reasons.

TJ at Florida State:
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/fsu/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/67258.jpeg

Brandon420tx
09-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Wow someone gave me negative rep because I didn't believe a news report without a link. Next time just sue me, that way it doesn't lower my self esteem.

phantom17
09-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Wow someone gave me negative rep because I didn't believe a news report without a link. Next time just sue me, that way it doesn't lower my self esteem.

lol! Don't feel bad, I got one bcuz I didn't like ESPN the magazine!:hides: :stooges:

GP
09-05-2006, 10:58 PM
You get negative rep?

Man, you are a loser.

I mean...seriously, you have to be a pretty bad poster to get negative rep.

Just kidding. At least you don't have hot-head lunatics PRIVATE MESSAGING you with tirades that make Ozzy Osbourne look like Mother Teresa. Wait till you got one of those coming after ya'. You'll be calling the cops to put an extra patrol on your street for the next few nights. Freaking creepy, man.

Brandon420tx
09-06-2006, 02:33 AM
You get negative rep?

Man, you are a loser.

I mean...seriously, you have to be a pretty bad poster to get negative rep.

Just kidding. At least you don't have hot-head lunatics PRIVATE MESSAGING you with tirades that make Ozzy Osbourne look like Mother Teresa. Wait till you got one of those coming after ya'. You'll be calling the cops to put an extra patrol on your street for the next few nights. Freaking creepy, man.

Lol, I feel better after that

FILO_girl
09-06-2006, 12:28 PM
Nobody is scared of the Titans anymore. Not even with Robaire Smith on their team. They are going to be among the worst overall defensive units out there this season. Bank on it.

If the TEXANS cut Robaire and the TITANS picked him up, then that says all you need to know.

I think we get caught up in the "Oh, this is going to bite us in the rear" mentality too often when we cut a long-timer who was fairly talented (at best). Look at what Coleman, Glenn, and Sharper have done (individually) to show us that they should have been kept on our team instead of getting cut. In fact, look at Wells, Hollings, Billy Miller, etc. Where are those guys? Cut. Some draft picks pan out, and some do not. I think the NFL is perhaps the deepest in terms of talent in all of professional sports. It's dang hard to make an NFL team and stick around for very long. I think Robaire was better a few seasons ago, but I think he was cut by the Titans because they had drafted better talent and could afford to let him go. Now, they've drafted poorly or have had to let go of good defensive linemen due to the nature of the beast that is free agency...and they MUST get an average guy like Robaire to at least stay decent.

Someone should trademark the "In the NFL, it's 'What have you done for me lately'..." comment. It rings so very true. What you did three years ago has no real impact on today's game if you're in the last stages of your career. We have been cutting guys that are past their prime, guys who were probably past their primes even when Capers brought them here.

Which is why I had been scratching my head when I saw we had picked up Antowain Smith at the beginning of camp. I would never have figured Kubiak to do that. We signed McCleon because we were desperate for a CB...and Titans are signing Robaire because they are desperate for d-linemen. It's the circle of life. Is our defensive secondary going to be the tops in the league? Prolly not. But neither is Titans d-linemen. Again, it's all in the context of the situation.

Robaire served his purpose well while he was here. He'll do OK with the Titans, but I think it's bombastic to say he's gonna' "rip it up" because we cut him. He's the enemy now, and our linemen will have no problem laying the wood to him just as much as he wants to do the same to us.

We all have our individual opinions.
84 sees what I see, pretty much. This is the new Texans, not the Capers 'everyone knows our scheme' team of the past. Of course one person doesn't make the team, but our new schemes are in place...and Robaire knows them. Plus, I think he was a good player. Looks as if I am a minority on that thought around here. Oh well, not the first time nor the last. Independent thinking can get you in deep kimchee around here, good thing I am used to it. :yawn:

LOL @ Brandon420tx- I got neg rep for this thread too. Funny how fellow fans can diss on one another and NOT post their names to it. Not the first time someone left a mark and not a name. Bunch of chicken****s.

mamoo
09-06-2006, 02:13 PM
None of y'all deserve a negative report. I wouldn't have believed me either. I always believe in getting two sources first, unless one is impeccable... such as the Texans PR department sending a news release stating this is for immediate release. That's what I put on the post. I actually found most of the remarks quite amusing since I knew there would be a link soon enough.

Vinny
09-06-2006, 02:18 PM
LOL @ Brandon420tx- I got neg rep for this thread too. Funny how fellow fans can diss on one another and NOT post their names to it. Not the first time someone left a mark and not a name. Bunch of chicken****s.it was a noob...and he has no point value yet...so it didn't hurt cha
:cool:

Vinny
09-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Wow someone gave me negative rep because I didn't believe a news report without a link. Next time just sue me, that way it doesn't lower my self esteem.actually...you have no neg reps at all....I just checked. That rep was the same noob with zero values to give or take.

Brandon420tx
09-06-2006, 02:44 PM
actually...you have no neg reps at all....I just checked. That rep was the same noob with zero values to give or take.

It still hurt my feelings

ok not really

Runner
09-06-2006, 02:57 PM
It still hurt my feelings

Good one.

El Tejano
09-06-2006, 03:45 PM
The way I see it is...

If Robaire knew the playbook that good, he would still be here today. He would be tearing up the field and would be a starter that would be worth every penny to keep him.

That is just not the case.