PDA

View Full Version : What cuts interest you?

Hottoddie
09-02-2006, 05:35 PM
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=0

With all the players being cut as the day goes on, which ones would you like to see the Teaxans go after? Here's a few that intrigue me.

Rocky Boiman (LB)
Rob Petitti (OT)
Darius Watts (WR)
Ron Dayne (RB) - If he's healthy.
Reggie McNeal (QB/WR/KR)
Adrian McPherson (QB)
Skyler Green (WR/KR)
Charles Rogers (WR) - Problems or not, you have to wonder what he might do in a different environment.
Omar Jacobs (QB)
Orien Harris (DT)
Kelly Butler (OT)
Chad Lavalais (DT)
Jerome Pathon (WR)

Who intrigues you?

Texans>Colts
09-02-2006, 05:47 PM
Ron Dayne (RB)

DRAMA
09-02-2006, 05:58 PM
If we were to claim Charles Rogers off waivers, then we pay his current salary, correct? That could hurt...

Lavalais's a pretty nice player.

Reddevil63
09-02-2006, 06:01 PM
If we were to claim Charles Rogers off waivers, then we pay his current salary, correct? That could hurt...

Lavalais's a pretty nice player.
I think Rogers will clear waivers because nobody is going to pay his current salary. Some good DT's in Orien Harris and Chad Lavalais on that list. The aggie in me would jump for joy is we saw Reggie McNeal in a Texans uni.

mexican_texan
09-02-2006, 06:05 PM

With all the players being cut as the day goes on, which ones would you like to see the Teaxans go after? Here's a few that intrigue me.

Rocky Boiman (LB)
Rob Petitti (OT)
Darius Watts (WR)
Reggie McNeal (QB/WR/KR)
Adrian McPherson (QB)
Skyler Green (WR/KR)
Charles Rogers (WR) - Problems or not, you have to wonder what he might do in a different environment.
Omar Jacobs (QB)
Orien Harris (DT)
Kelly Butler (OT)
Chad Lavalais (DT)
Jerome Pathon (WR)

Who intrigues you?
All of 'em, but Ron Dayne would be the most likely.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
09-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Matt Ware
Darius Watts
Ron Dayne
Chad Lavalais

GuerillaBlack
09-02-2006, 06:10 PM
Why'd we cut Antowain Smith? Dumb move to me.

David's Busted Carr
09-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Rogers for sure. He might flourish with a change of scenery. He's got WORLDS of talent.

tburdette
09-02-2006, 06:16 PM
[QUOTE=Hottoddie]http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=0

Rocky Boiman (LB)
Rob Petitti (OT)
Darius Watts (WR)
Reggie McNeal (QB/WR/KR)
Adrian McPherson (QB)
Skyler Green (WR/KR)
Omar Jacobs (QB)
Orien Harris (DT)
Kelly Butler (OT)
Chad Lavalais (DT)
Jerome Pathon (WR)

Who intrigues you?[/QUOTE

I would give any of these guys a chance.

texflex513
09-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Why'd we cut Antowain Smith? Dumb move to me. The choice kubiak had to make was between smith and chris taylor kubiak chose taylors youth and special teams play over smiths veteran leadership. Which is a really good choice in my book.. Taylor is going to get better and smith basicly has peaked. Tough decision to make though.

DominickDavisFan76
09-02-2006, 06:23 PM
I think we should claim..

Omar Jacobs and Ron Dayne.....

I liked them both in college and I like them both now..if we picked them both up, i could like the Texans for a long time...

wags
09-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Darius Watts, he played for the Broncos.

stx-texans
09-02-2006, 06:47 PM
love to see reggie mcneal in a texans uni, could help out in kick/punt returns and also be an emergency qb.

rmartin65
09-02-2006, 06:49 PM
McNeal, Omar Jacobs, and a few D guys

Maddict5
09-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Matt Ware

isnt he that guy (cb i think) that made alot of big ST plays for the eagles last year?

Hottoddie
09-02-2006, 06:55 PM
How about:

Rod Gardner (WR)
Quincy Morgan (WR)
Atari Bigby (DB)
Najeh Davenport (RB)

mizike
09-02-2006, 06:55 PM
RB Najeh Davenport (Packers)

WR Tyrone Calico (Titans)

CB Charles Gordon (Vikings)

DT Chad Lavalais (Falcons)

LB Rocky Boiman (Cowboys)

QB Drew Olson (Ravens)

WR Reggie McNeal (Bengals)

RB Lee Suggs (Browns)

RB Moe Williams (Rams)

QB Omar Jacobs (Steelers)

OT Kelly Butler (Lions)

WR Charles Rogers (Lions)

PoolMaster21
09-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Sadly, Dayne has been a work in progress his entire pro career - I was a Giants fan growing up, and I was very excited about the Dayne pick back in 2000. You all know how that turned out - the message boards in NY approached the ferver of the Carr discussion here in Houston. I just don't think Dayne is the "one cut and go" type of back that Kubes wants.

WildBlackBear32
09-02-2006, 07:02 PM
MacPherson(who I had as the second best QB in his class, behind Orlovsky), CRog(who still oozes of untapped potential) and Kelly Butler would be the guys I'd be interested in of this bunch.

football freak
09-02-2006, 07:16 PM
RB Najeh Davenport (Packers)

WR Tyrone Calico (Titans)

CB Charles Gordon (Vikings)

DT Chad Lavalais (Falcons)

LB Rocky Boiman (Cowboys)

QB Drew Olson (Ravens)

WR Reggie McNeal (Bengals)

RB Lee Suggs (Browns)

RB Moe Williams (Rams)

QB Omar Jacobs (Steelers)

OT Kelly Butler (Lions)

WR Charles Rogers (Lions)

Moe Williams has roughly 1800 career rushing yards since 1997, don't think he is a solution to our running game question marks

TexanExile
09-02-2006, 07:25 PM
Talented or not, Charles Rogers isn't worth the effort. He's an injury-prone malcontent who's one blunt away from a full year's suspension for drug use. He's Ricky Williams without the body or work ethic. Unless he was given a contract that protected Houston about 12 different ways for conduct problems, I hope this team stays away.

Let's face it...if he were really that great, they wouldn't have gone looking for Corey Bradford. :eek:

dtran04
09-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Funny how Gaffney was cut from the Eagles too.

EF55
09-02-2006, 07:45 PM
In addition to cutting Gaffney the eagles let a couple of very servicable db's go. The Texans should sign Matt Ware tonight,
From what I understand his college coach would limit his practice at times because he would hurt people. He's tough and can play CB and some safety, both positions where the texans need a little bench strength. And he's a decent ST player. I'm sure that was a tough cut for them.

Actually they cut 3 DB's that are decent but Ware was one of those guys you just felt like he was gonna be good, I'm a little disapointed that they let him go.

Make that 4 DB's I forgot about JR Reed who play safety and runs returns he would be a good pick up also, coming back from a major non football related njury but appeared to be back, Some one will take a shot on him.

Dawkins
09-02-2006, 07:47 PM
In addition to cutting Gaffney the eagles let a couple of very servicable db's go. The Texans should sign Matt Ware tonight,
From what I understand his college coach would limit his practice time because he would hurt people. He's tough and can play CB and some safety, both positions where the texans need a little bench strength. And he's a decent ST player. I'm sure that was a tough cut for them.

Actually they cut 3 DB's that are decent but Ware was one of those guys you just felt like he was gonna be good, I'm a little disapointed that they let him go.

Yeah, I have no doubt Ware will be picked up by somebody fairly soon. He isn't a bust by any means, I just chalked it up to there not being room for him on the roster.

Brandon420tx
09-02-2006, 08:09 PM
I guess we'll find out tommorrow after 11. (The deadline for the Texans) *Rocks back and forth in the seat*

CoachJim
09-02-2006, 09:20 PM
From KFFL.com ...

Raiders | Starks released
Sat, 2 Sep 2006 17:00:58 -0700

Raiders.com reports the Oakland Raiders have released CB Duane Starks.

------------------------------------------------------

Any takers? ...

Texizgreat
09-02-2006, 09:30 PM
From KFFL.com ...

Raiders | Starks released
Sat, 2 Sep 2006 17:00:58 -0700

Raiders.com reports the Oakland Raiders have released CB Duane Starks.

------------------------------------------------------

Any takers? ...

After P-buc i am fairly dubious of Radiers DBs

CoachJim
09-02-2006, 09:38 PM
After P-buc i am fairly dubious of Radiers DBs

Ya but had some good years with the Ratbirds IMO ...

HJam72
09-02-2006, 09:40 PM
I don't know anything about these players, but I'd really like to get some kind of DB, if he's good enough.

TexanFan881
09-02-2006, 09:44 PM
I'd love to see Gaffney come back (which is doubtful, considering we didn't sign him before). Najeh Davenport would be a great pickup and would help carry the load at RB. Also, maybe for the practice squad we can pick up Omar Jacobs (QB depth instead of Quinton Porter), Andre Hall, or Charles Gordon. Hall and Gordon were players that should have been drafted in the mid to late rounds who weren't drafted and I would love to see us give them a try even though it hasn't worked out for them so far.

BigDTexansFan
09-02-2006, 09:53 PM

Rocky Boiman (LB)
Rob Petitti (OT)
Darius Watts (WR)
Reggie McNeal (QB/WR/KR)
Adrian McPherson (QB)
Skyler Green (WR/KR)
Omar Jacobs (QB)
Orien Harris (DT)
Kelly Butler (OT)
Chad Lavalais (DT)
Jerome Pathon (WR)

Who intrigues you?

Darius Watts WR, Denver was supposedly high on him, not sure why he got dumped.

I know we don't want any Cowpatties trash. Boiman they signed for $1million signing bonus, Petitti couldn't stop his mother from rushing passer with a cement truck. Green only if you want kicks fielded inside the 5 yard line

BigDTexansFan
09-02-2006, 09:55 PM
Funny how Gaffney was cut from the Eagles too.

"I am glad to be on a team with a winning attitude, not like team I just left"...you mean the team that has 2 REAL WRs, Gaffney got what he deserved trash talking us, because he thought his cousin Lito Sheppard was going to make sure he made team...PSYCH:francis:

CloakNNNdagger
09-02-2006, 09:58 PM
I'd love to see Gaffney come back (which is doubtful, considering we didn't sign him before). Najeh Davenport would be a great pickup and would help carry the load at RB. Also, maybe for the practice squad we can pick up Omar Jacobs (QB depth instead of Quinton Porter), Andre Hall, or Charles Gordon. Hall and Gordon were players that should have been drafted in the mid to late rounds who weren't drafted and I would love to see us give them a try even though it hasn't worked out for them so far.

After what he said of the Texans in the media when he was picked up by the Eagles......................you can put a fork in it.

beerlover
09-02-2006, 09:59 PM
Don't forget Bradlee Van Pelt
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_4275110?source=rss

dat_boy_yec
09-02-2006, 10:14 PM
Any thoughts on Najeh Davenport? He was released by Green Bay.

CloakNNNdagger
09-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Any thoughts on Najeh Davenport? He was released by Green Bay.

Great back when healthy.............unfortunately healthy has nevver been a word describing him throughout his career:

Davenport had just missed his second straight day of practice after dropping out of Tuesday night's workout because of a strained hip flexor. The fifth-year running back also missed six practices earlier in camp with a calf injury.

Davenport started the Packers' first two exhibition games with Green still recovering from his ruptured quadriceps tendon and rushed for 41 yards in 17 attempts.

But his injury history is troubling, as he has never played a full 16-game season.

Davenport missed the final 11 weeks of last season after having two pins surgically inserted into the two bones just above his right ankle the day after the New Orleans game. As a rookie in 2002, he missed three weeks of training camp while recovering from foot surgery, two games with a pulled hamstring and the final six games with a fractured eye socket suffered at Minnesota. He also missed one game in 2003 with a wrist injury and five in 2004 with pulled hamstrings.

All told, he has played in 39 of 64 possible regular-season games

[For more on him] (http://www.madison.com/archives/read.php?ref=/wsj/2006/08/25/0608250036.php)

TexanExile
09-02-2006, 10:44 PM
Agreed. He wouldn't exactly need to be on the field much if he were signed by the Texans, who've settled on their #1 and #2, but I'm guessing there's a certain Texans assistant head coach who knows perfectly well whether Najeh's even worth bringing down for a look.... :spy:

Not worth it, IMO. If we wanted to keep a guy on the roster who may or may not ever be healthy, we could've kept #37.

BringItOn
09-02-2006, 10:51 PM
Don't forget Bradlee Van Pelt
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_4275110?source=rss

You beat me to it.

blockhead83
09-02-2006, 11:10 PM
I didn't know Matt Ware was cut. I really like the guy coming out of college, I really hope the Texans give him a good hard look considering the current state of our secondary.

Honoring Earl 34
09-02-2006, 11:17 PM
Robert McCune was cut by the Redskins . I think he was Super Genuis's pick in the 2nd round of the mock draft .:tease:

TexanExile
09-02-2006, 11:25 PM
One guy who can relate to Seth Wand's sudden departure:
===============================
From KFFL.com (http://www.kffl.com/player/1572/nfl) (edited for format)

Dolphins | Beasley still leading competition at fullback
Fri, 25 Aug 2006: Armando Salguero, of the Miami Herald, reports Miami Dolphins FB Fred Beasley continues to hold off FB Darian Barnes for the team's starting fullback spot.

Dolphins | Team terminates Beasley’s contract
Sat, 2 Sep 2006: MiamiDolphins.com reports the Miami Dolphins have terminated the contract of FB Fred Beasley.
================================

Not a bad player and a longtime vet, but I'm guessing based on the Luchey cut that the Texans will continue to expect Joppru to fill the FB role. Probably no role for him in Houston.

Side note: that means the Dolphins now have a total of 2 RBs and 1 FB on their roster. Wow.

Hottoddie
09-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Robert McCune was cut by the Redskins . I think he was Super Genuis's pick in the 2nd round of the mock draft .:tease:

I've always liked McCune. I'd love to see the Texans give him a try as our backup MLB. He's a class act, served in the military, & is a physical specimen.

Carlos Hall also got cut.

09-02-2006, 11:31 PM
I think we should claim..

Omar Jacobs and Ron Dayne.....

I liked them both in college and I like them both now..if we picked them both up, i could like the Texans for a long time...

i take it youre not a texans fan?..

Hervoyel
09-02-2006, 11:32 PM
that means the Dolphins now have a total of 2 RBs and 1 FB on their roster. Wow.

I guess Antowain Smith's big run the other night wasn't all for nothing. I bet he's watching the phone and thinking "Miami ought to be calling me just about now...."

WILLIEG
09-03-2006, 12:14 AM
I would love to see Reggie McNeal (QB/WR/KR), because he can play multiple postions. The only reason he was cut is because of all the depth at the WR postion. Charles Gordan can also play multiple postions at WR/CB. I believe that both could give us that depth we need at WR/CB and contribute to our ST.

GoTexans
09-03-2006, 01:34 AM
Why'd we cut Antowain Smith? Dumb move to me.

I totally agree. He looked fantatic in the Tampa game. I thought he was a lock to make the team.

Hutch13
09-03-2006, 01:35 AM
Id like to see Skyler Green with the texans. I think he could be a pretty good Kick Returner and an ok wide receiver.

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-03-2006, 01:36 AM
Rogers from Detroit, is this guy hurt for them to let him go?

done88
09-03-2006, 02:17 AM
How bout Gaffney. It is just interesting that he got cut. Not that I wanted him here. He was so down on the Texans. Looks like he was just not good.

TexanExile
09-03-2006, 07:17 AM
Don't be too hard on Gaffney. Poor guy seemed to have the bounciest shoulder pads in the league. Must've been the equipment. :heh:

I see Rod "He Hate Me" Smart got cut by the Raiders. Got some KR skills, he does, but there's probably better choices.

texasguy346
09-03-2006, 08:11 AM
The Raiders also cut veteran CB Duane Starks. He was a pretty good cover guy, but I think he's lost a step or three over the years. He couldn't cut it with the Patriots & now he can't make the cut with the Raiders. He was pretty good early in his career when he was with the Cards & Ravens. It's a shame if he goes out like this.

CloakNNNdagger
09-03-2006, 09:42 AM
Finally some word of the COLTS cuts this morning by ProFootballTalk.

POSTED 8:16 a.m. EDT, September 3, 2006

COLTS CUTS . . . FINALLY

Several readers have advised us that the Indianapolis Colts have deliberately withheld their list of final roster cuts from the public, opting to defer the disclosure until Sunday morning. The speculation is that the team's primary goal was to prevent the Indianapolis Star from getting the information into its Sunday editions, in direct retribution for the paper's coverage of the Adam Vinatieri injury. The Colts apparently are furious with the Star for getting quotes from Vinatieri's mom suggesting that the high-profile free-agent (well, as high-profile as a free-agent kicker can ever be) has a broken foot.

The team's decision to announce only the cut of backup kicker Shane Andrus is thus being perceived as a slap directly at the Star, since it leaves Vinatieri as the only kicker on the roster.

But thanks to our pal Howard Balzer, we've gotten our mitts on the Colts final cut list, before its announcement. Here they are: K Shane Andrus, DB Waine Bacon, QB Josh Betts, DT Vincent Burns, DB Tanard Davis, LB Nick Hannah, TE Joey Hawkins, WR Ed Hinkel, P Reggie Hodges, RB Tony Hollings, LB Brandown Hoyte, G Trever Hutton, DT Tom Johnson, T Bo Lacy, LB Dale Robinson, G Russ Tanner, G Matt Ulrich, DT Marcus West (injured), DE Jonathan Welsh, WR Marc Boerigter, QB Shaun King, RB Jonathan Wells.

The release of King leaves the Colts with only two quarterbacks -- Peyton Manning and Jim Sorgi. And Sorgi suffered a shoulder injury two weeks ago in a preseason game.

tsip
09-03-2006, 09:58 AM
Rogers for sure. He might flourish with a change of scenery. He's got WORLDS of talent.

IMO, Carr would use Rogers like he does his other WRs--not very much and short.

brewhaus
09-03-2006, 10:25 AM
I don't know what kind of contract he has, but Mark Bruener hasn't exactly set the world on fire.....and I was really happy when we signed him away from the Steelers.

LBblitz
09-03-2006, 10:39 AM
Im a little curious about najeh davenport...just a thought.

|The.Brand0n|
09-03-2006, 10:46 AM
Man... I'm anxious... I know the deadline is 11 am .. but WHEN will we know?!?! The Texans cant keep us in suspense... I want to see if we grab one of these guys...

WR Charles Rogers
DB Matt Ware
RB Lee Suggs
WR/KR Skyler Green
DT Chad Lavalais
LB Rocky Boiman
RB Najeh Davenport
S Hank Miligan
WR Tyrone Calico
DB Dwayne Slay

WE HAVE TO COME AWAY WITH ONE OF THESE DUDES....

Dr. Toro
09-03-2006, 12:00 PM

Rogers problems aren't just health and drug related... he doesn't have much work ethic either. It's possible, but not easy to fix one of those things, but that's quite a trifecta there.

CloakNNNdagger
09-03-2006, 12:04 PM

This might help. (http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=27493&page=2)

HowBoutThemCowboys!
09-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Rob Pettiti could really help you guys out, and it won't be long till he's picked up by a team. Forced to start several games with the injury of Flozell Adams, he struggled like any rookie would, though showed his moments. During the off-season, he really bulked up and came in TC as the leading canidate for the RT position, but I guess wasn't good enough for the Tuna, which shocked the Cowboy fanbase, as only a week earlier Parcells said he'd be used as "swing" guy.

Dr. Toro
09-03-2006, 12:08 PM

Davenport is interesting, huge, fast, 5 ypc on the career. He's 27... if he doesn't produce immediately his football career is over. Alot of talent, a little motivation, and a change of scenery might make up for some previous character issues and questionable health. Durability really is only an issue for RBs when you lock them up long term... just work 'em 'til they get hurt seems to be the trend anyways.

Calico is intriguing as well.

bigTEXan8
09-03-2006, 12:22 PM
I stated in another thread that I thought Dayne could be a nice compliment to Morency and Lundy as the "big" back, just kind of pound it through the line for short yardage situations.

bigbrewster2000
09-03-2006, 12:42 PM
I stated in another thread that I thought Dayne could be a nice compliment to Morency and Lundy as the "big" back, just kind of pound it through the line for short yardage situations.
Dayne couldn't pound his way through a wet paper bag. He is not very good and I would be really dissapointed if we took him. I would rather see Davenport but the reality is we will likely see neither.

RiotCommander
09-03-2006, 12:46 PM
For those of you who are picking guys we may take. First ask yourself "Can this guy play special teams?". Because unless they can somehow make the starting lineup they will need to contribute in some way now. Does anyone see Charles Rogers running down on kickoffs? I don't, but I also have not watched many Lions games. He could have been doing it all this time for all I know. :cool:

HowBoutThemCowboys!
09-03-2006, 05:36 PM
Rob Pettiti could really help you guys out, and it won't be long till he's picked up by a team. Forced to start several games with the injury of Flozell Adams, he struggled like any rookie would, though showed his moments. During the off-season, he really bulked up and came in TC as the leading canidate for the RT position, but I guess wasn't good enough for the Tuna, which shocked the Cowboy fanbase, as only a week earlier Parcells said he'd be used as "swing" guy.

Well too late now, he was just picked up Sean Payton and the Saints.

rmartin65
09-03-2006, 07:17 PM
David Dixon, the OLB from juco was cut by the 49ers. I was really high on this guy before the supp draft, maybe he is worth a look.

HeartofHouston
09-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Rob Petitti (OT)
Reggie McNeal (QB/WR/KR)
Orien Harris (DT)
Kelly Butler (OT)
Chad Lavalais (DT)

I wouldn't mind having any of these guys.

12Gage
09-04-2006, 03:25 AM
Tyrone Calico got released? That boy got skills.