PDA

View Full Version : sports radio 610

Texanfan4ever
08-31-2006, 11:44 PM
I don't know why I even tried to listen, but is anyone as disgusted with those guys as I am. About half way home I turned it on, and some loser was saying "oh my gosh, rosenfels is so wonderful and should take David Carr's place". Turn it off due to disgust, can't stand it, drop my mom off turn it on again about 45 minutes later, loser announcers explaining why Carr will still be the QB, even though he is a loser, turn them off and 15 minutes later, try ONE MORE TIME before I get home to try to hear SOMETHING intelligent, and THEY ARE STILL TALKING ABOUT WHAT A MISTAKE David Carr is". WHY does ANYONE listen to these idiots. I Am done. Never again. I said I wouldn't do this, but it is just SO IRRITATING. ALmost as bad a sthe guy sitting right in front of us with a Vince Young t=shirt on. Don't even get me started.

08-31-2006, 11:48 PM
why would an observation like that (let's face it, carr hasn't looked that great, and sage has) anger you?

RiotCommander
08-31-2006, 11:49 PM
I have the same problem when I try to listen. All they do is bag on the local teams. Maybe its just when I listen, I'm not a huge fan of the station so its not often. :confused:

Texanfan4ever
08-31-2006, 11:52 PM
Because logically it is absurd. David didn't even play, Sage played a few series, like he always does, against 2nd stringers, third even, and there is just no room for discussion. It is absolutely ludicrous. WHy do you think he is still 2nd string 5 years later. Duh......... Try to be logical.,

Grid
08-31-2006, 11:59 PM
Sage is not a starter quality QB.

I can understand people questioning Carr after that weak performance of his in the Denver game.. but Sage is a quality BACKUP QB..not a starter.

If anything we should be discussing where exactly Carr needs to improve.. and what we are going to do if he DOESNT improve. Ill give you a hint.. your answer should not be "start Sage".

Id start keeping an eye on QBs coming out in next year's draft. Paying close attention to guys that look athletic enough to perform a good roll out :D

Double Barrel
09-01-2006, 12:05 AM
There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that our backup QB has looked good. Sage clearly made reads and checked his receivers, and made some great throws tonight. He's got poise and a certain sense of calm about his play. I know it's against 2nd and 3rd stringers, but you can still evaluate a player in these situations (why do you think we have pre-season to begin with?).

I'm behind DC all the way. He's our starting QB. But we need a guy that can challenge Carr, simply because competition makes a player stronger. And having a guy that wants to start and is qualified to do so is a huge asset (Kubiak himself said that Rosenfels could be a starter on other teams).

It'll be alright, though. David Carr will come out and do great!
And he'll put all this 'QB controversy' stuff to rest. :superman: mmm, koolaid!

infantrycak
09-01-2006, 12:05 AM
OK--lay aside any dispute about Carr. Here is my observation about the late night dweebs on 610 am. One of them observes Sage is the 4th highest rated passer for the preseason after this game. He then goes on to list the three above--all 2nd or 3rd stringers including the Gradkowski kid for the Bucs. Obvious conclusion--backup QB's are preseason heroes--no. Radio conclusion--QB controversy. C'mon folks if the top 4 QB's for preseason are backups it should tell you something--Manning and Brady played as well. Like I said this is a Carr aside. Backups have to be judged differently. Last week Leftwich did nothing against the 1st string Tampa D. Garrard then came in and carved up the 2nd+ D to win the game. Context does count.

On Carr I have grave concerns about his confidence and throwing down field. He looked better against Dallas in his 1st game ever than he does now in that regard. This is clearly a rehabilitation project not just a training project (there is a huge, huge difference)--the results will be in mid-season IMO.

Hervoyel
09-01-2006, 12:06 AM
I'm not in the "Start Sage!" camp or anything but I have been concerned with how David Carr has looked this preseason. He seems to be the lone holdover from the "Joe Pendry - Run For Your Life - Offense" with all the happy feet and short dump offs to his safety valves (or what would have been his safety valves if we were still running the old offense).

Having said that I note that everyone defending Carr against the Sage fans points out that David Carr has to play against the first team defenses. What nobody seems to admit to is that he also has the first team running backs, receivers, and offensive line helping him. Sage gets to do what he does with a second string offense.

The only way to really compare apples to apples would be to swap them around and start Sage in a preseason game (and we're done with them this year so nevermind that) and let Carr play against the second teamers (and with the second team offense).

Would Sage still be effective? Would Carr tear up the second string defense?

I suspect that Sage would be less effective than he's looked so far but only slightly so. I also suspect that most of what worries me about David Carr would still be there. That's because it has nothing to do with his level of competition, it's in his head and the moment one of those second string offensive linemen lets him get smacked or even a little pressured he's going to start hearing footsteps.

Double Barrel
09-01-2006, 12:08 AM
Well said icak & Herv. Very well said indeed. :howdy:

The.Houston.Titans
09-01-2006, 12:12 AM
I'm not in the "Start Sage!" camp or anything but I have been concerned with how David Carr has looked this preseason. He seems to be the lone holdover from the "Joe Pendry - Run For Your Life - Offense" with all the happy feet and short dump offs to his safety valves (or what would have been his safety valves if we were still running the old offense).

Having said that I note that everyone defending Carr against the Sage fans points out that David Carr has to play against the first team defenses. What nobody seems to admit to is that he also has the first team running backs, receivers, and offensive line helping him. Sage gets to do what he does with a second string offense.

The only way to really compare apples to apples would be to swap them around and start Sage in a preseason game (and we're done with them this year so nevermind that) and let Carr play against the second teamers (and with the second team offense).

Would Sage still be effective? Would Carr tear up the second string defense?

I suspect that Sage would be less effective than he's looked so far but only slightly so. I also suspect that most of what worries me about David Carr would still be there. That's because it has nothing to do with his level of competition, it's in his head and the moment one of those second string offensive linemen lets him get smacked or even a little pressured he's going to start hearing footsteps.

Everything you just said mirrors my thoughts throughout the entire preseason. And I mean mirror them EXACTY-word for word.

tsip
09-01-2006, 01:09 AM
If Carr starts off the Philly game like he has played in the pre-season-and that 'play' continues-it could get real 'ugly' around here real quick. This could be a Capers' moment all over again, with Carr supporters dropping off the board like Caper supporters did last year. Folks talked about time/gel last year just like they are doing this year, but I believe Carr supporters will be in 'shock' mode if his mediocre play continues.

On the other hand, if Carr suddenly starts playing like an All-Pro, this board will be one big happy 'family'--bottom line, it's 'feast or famine' time.

tsip
09-01-2006, 01:18 AM
"Sage is not a starter quality QB."

OK, so what does that make Carr? David is certainly not where we want him to be in his career, for whatever reasons/excuses. Neither one of these QB's has 'flourished' in the NFL so far, but I don't know how you can assume one will and the other one won't. I don't know much about Sage-since you do-please tell me what your basis is for the above statement...thanks......

rafterticket
09-01-2006, 02:26 AM
On the other hand, if Carr suddenly starts playing like an All-Pro, this board will be one big happy 'family'

I won't lie. I'm praying for feast, as far as Carr is concerned.

I am taking this on a basic trend analysis. Everything about this team is on the upswing - consecutive weeks of scoring records, repeated long rushes, second receivers, etc. Last year some of us (me included) were just repeating some kind of mantra that once the season began we would see some real football. By the second regular season game it was so obvious that any chant, self-help tape, Dale Carnegie program or believing in fairies was not going to make a football team in Houston.

This year, I believe in our run blocking, and that a corps of running backs will get us past the DD setback. What I still note (and this is all QB's) is that we are STILL not willing to throw the ball more than 15 yards past the line of scrimmage. This to me is a serious problem. The offense seems to love the fact of a TE, which I am still enjoying every time one catches a ball. (Nice TD, Bennie.)

Maybe if our defense comes around, and I have much more faith in them right now, this year we may be able to shut down some opponents and pull a few out. Our schedule is comparably hard to last year's, and with a shade more skill, or will, we could have won six games last year. I am just believing we have more than a shade more talent than last year - and that talent goes from the sideline to the huddle.

Ryans and Williams look like they may be brilliant choices. Spencer and Winston will be long term. Owen Daniels is our Jason Witten.

This year erases last year.

Tailgate
09-01-2006, 02:39 AM
Lets just be stoked we have a solid back up. No QB contraversy.....

Bring on the Eagles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wherewill

beerlover
09-01-2006, 03:27 AM
first off Sports Radio 610 Rocks (most of the time, take it with a grain of salt).

second if Kubiak is able to transform Carr into a NFL quality QB/#1 pick I doubt anyone here will complain (don't you feel really good about the Mario Williams pick?) as a matter of fact this would make the Texans owner very happy, Kubiak would look like a genius and this franchise will have finally grown up from its four year expansion status :yahoo:

StukNDallas
09-01-2006, 03:49 AM
I moved to Dallas a little over a year ago, and Sports Radio 610 is one of the things I miss the most. They may not always be right (Ok, maybe it should be they may not always be wrong), but it is entertaining and in my experience it is a good conversation starter. If you think listening to them bash Carr is bad, try listening to T.O. talk and Romo vs. Bledsoe for a while and you will appreciate what you have.

:texflag:

Malloy
09-01-2006, 03:57 AM
drop my mom off

You brought your mom to the game, that major props right there!! :)

aj.
09-01-2006, 07:04 AM
The radio guys are talking about what a lot of the people in the stands are talking about. Our starting QB makes Tweek look laid back.

And no, Sage isn't the long term answer either. I just want someone (anyone) who can effectively run this offense. The next month is truly the crossroads for Carr and I hope he takes the right turn. He doesn't have to be spectacular, just calm and poised for a change and maybe sprinkle in a little bit of effective and in-control. I know that's asking a lot but QB performance - given adequate OL performance which seems to be almost there - is the single most important key to the success of the team this season.

On Carr I have grave concerns about his confidence and throwing down field. He looked better against Dallas in his 1st game ever than he does now in that regard. This is clearly a rehabilitation project not just a training project

Where's that deja vu music ?

Kaiser Toro
09-01-2006, 07:34 AM
The problem with the David Carr shell shocked theory is that it is not due to a four year campaign. We saw the same from our QB during season one. Once he got to the big leagues and felt the speed of the game and took some hits he has never been the QB that many expected.

Four years is a long time in professional sports to have a method of operation like this and still have your job. Carr is a lucky man and lets hope he can transfer that luck to the field of play this year and regain whatever confidence he has left.

Mr. B
09-01-2006, 07:36 AM
I listened to the game off and on at work last night. Had to pull some late hours.

They didn't rage over Rosenfels or Carr !!! In fact both Mark and Andre stated that Sage looked good in the preseason but that he was mainly playing against second and third string. They also noted that regardless of what any of us arm chair yahoo's think Carr still has some problems to work out and they both thought he should have at least played the first quarter to try to keep working on his issues and to keep himself in the flow of the offense. Basically they said Carr needed more time to work within this offense and that it was very nice to have a backup like Sage behind him if he is needed.

Sage played the game last night and it was his game and they called it like he was the starting quarterback. Which he was last night. Sheesh let the guy get his props when he can.

You guys read way to much into what you hear from the radio personalities.

I like Carr and think he has lots of talent but I don't think he has all his issues worked out yet from his 4 years under the other coaching regime. Did they ruin him ???? Don't know but I can tell you this he has looked good and bad so he is 50/50 right now and I can't tell you that I think he is the end all as our QB from what I am seeing right now. I would like to see him have some more time under Kubiak. That is just an honest opinion from someone who has no favoritism.

Texanfan4ever
09-01-2006, 08:02 AM
You brought your mom to the game, that major props right there!! :)

WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
09-01-2006, 08:09 AM
I am always amazed at how much credit people give to sports talk show hosts. It does not take much time listing to them to realize they may know a little about a lot of subjects but rarely know a lot about any one subject. If you look back at his time in Miami Sage is always money in the preseason, many a team has been fooled by a quarterbacks preseason performance. Will Carr be the answer? Not sure. But Drew Brees was so bad his first three years they drafted Phillip Rivers, and he has LT to hand off to! Once Antonio Gates arrived and they had the safety valve he improved drastically. Part of the Joy and pain of football is the only way to really know what you have it to get out there and play. Give Carr a chance under Kubiak at full speed with a full play book and not that crap they run in the preseason. I donít know if he will be the answer but we should know very soon, no excuses now. As far a 610 goes its entertainment, just like TV. If you want to be entertained listen, if you want to learn and really know about the sport read!

CloakNNNdagger
09-01-2006, 08:09 AM
I like Carr and think he has lots of talent but I don't think he has all his issues worked out yet from his 4 years under the other coaching regime. Did they ruin him ???? Don't know but I can tell you this he has looked good and bad so he is 50/50 right now and I can't tell you that I think he is the end all as our QB from what I am seeing right now. I would like to see him have some more time under Kubiak. That is just an honest opinion from someone who has no favoritism.

I am trying to stay quite neutral on the Carr question.......as I remain quite concerned. One play, he may look OK, the next rookie-like. This has been his profile from day one.........inconsistent. I would be much more encouraged if I saw Carr, not necessarily "knocking our socks off," but playing at a "moderate" level of performance.......while showing any semblance of consistency. Slow progress is something I believe that even an "open-minded" Carr doubter could accept. At this point in time, though, a low level of game COMBINED WITH a roller coaster-like performance is hard to swallow.

texan_fan_8
09-01-2006, 08:16 AM
Setting aside a huge contract, and who's playing against the 2nd stringers. There is a definaite attitude issue here with Carr. If lacking confidence was his only problem i would gladly overlook that because time builds confidence. But...

He seems to be the ONLY player on the team that continues as he did last year. He appears to be the only one that doesn't get the new offense or maybe better said, he has to be reminded there is a new offensive scheme.

He keeps saying things like "I" not 'we'. Listen to what others say. They speak of themselves as part of a team. Listen to Carr.

He keeps blaming somone else for his issues. He Finally has tools, he finally has an offensive line, he finally has a coach who understands. He is the face of this franchise, act like one. You don't whine about the bad blaming everyone else. Take responsiblity.

His comments on Kubiak, he's funny. What do you mean he's funny, he's your coach. But the answer to How is it working with Kubiak should not have the answer of he's funny.

It just seems to me that everyone is on the new page with the exception of carr. The reason Sage looks good is becasue he understands and plays in the new offense. David just can't seem to get there.

And one other pet peeve. David can't seem to read the defense. He picks one receiver, if that guys isn't open he can't seem to adapt. Go back and look other than one 2q drive in the denver game where he peppered 6 plays to 5 different receivers. I just don't ever see him look around.

I just hope he gets on board, stops blaming everyone in site and start being responsible, and stop coming across as a prima dona, thug type that isn't accepting responsibilty for his play. He didn't always seem that way.

Take the cap off, stop pushing it down over your eyes and start acting like a professional

real
09-01-2006, 08:20 AM
Setting aside a huge contract, and who's playing against the 2nd stringers. There is a definaite attitude issue here with Carr. If lacking confidence was his only problem i would gladly overlook that because time builds confidence. But...

He seems to be the ONLY player on the team that continues as he did last year. He appears to be the only one that doesn't get the new offense or maybe better said, he has to be reminded there is a new offensive scheme.

He keeps saying things like "I" not 'we'. Listen to what others say. They speak of themselves as part of a team. Listen to Carr.

He keeps blaming somone else for his issues. He Finally has tools, he finally has an offensive line, he finally has a coach who understands. He is the face of this franchise, act like one. You don't whine about the bad blaming everyone else. Take responsiblity.

His comments on Kubiak, he's funny. What do you mean he's funny, he's your coach. But the answer to How is it working with Kubiak should not have the answer of he's funny.

It just seems to me that everyone is on the new page with the exception of carr. The reason Sage looks good is becasue he understands and plays in the new offense. David just can't seem to get there.

And one other pet peeve. David can't seem to read the defense. He picks one receiver, if that guys isn't open he can't seem to adapt. Go back and look other than one 2q drive in the denver game where he peppered 6 plays to 5 different receivers. I just don't ever see him look around.

I just hope he gets on board, stops blaming everyone in site and start being responsible, and stop coming across as a prima dona, thug type that isn't accepting responsibilty for his play. He didn't always seem that way.

Take the cap off, stop pushing it down over your eyes and start acting like a professional

You need to re-think your perspective on Carr...I am far from a Carr apologist...In fact I've even been called a Carr hater....But he didn't even play last night and he gets bashed like this??? From comments in an interview??? Relax...If you were gonna bash Carr you are a couple days late...try doing it after he actually plays....

*Comments like yours make it hard to have a truly objective discussion about Carr...

texan_fan_8
09-01-2006, 08:23 AM
You need to re-think your perspective on Carr...I am far from a Carr apologist...In fact I've even been called a Carr hater....But he didn't even play last night and he gets bashed like this??? From comments in an interview??? Relax...If you were gonna bash Carr you are a couple days late...try doing it after he actually plays....

It has nothing to do with him playing, it has to do with everyone trying to creating a QB controversy. The reason Sage appears as a breath of fresh air is because of the problems with Carr, not becasue he's the great white hope.

real
09-01-2006, 08:25 AM
It has nothing to do with him playing, it has to do with everyone trying to creating a QB controversy. The reason Sage appears as a breath of fresh air is because of the problems with Carr, not becasue he's the great white hope.

No...Sage has played better than Carr....Carr hasn't looked as crisp as expected...thats allit boils down to...But you were commenting on his interview...C'mon...give...me...a break......Because he said his coach was entertaining and funny that makes him a bad QB ? what does that have to do with anything ?

chuckm
09-01-2006, 08:45 AM
Rich Lord and Matt Jackson both get on my nerves at times .... I'm not sure who was on the post game show last night, but when it's those two .... UGH

infantrycak
09-01-2006, 08:48 AM
The problem with the David Carr shell shocked theory is that it is not due to a four year campaign. We saw the same from our QB during season one.

I disagree completely. If your only standard is has he been a fantastic QB then the answer is no for all four years, but he is very noticeably less willing to throw deep than he was for the 1st 2.5 years he was in the league. 2002--31 20+ passes and 5 40+, 2004 47 20+ passes and 6 40+ and by no means were all those yac. Last year 18 20+ and 2 40+ with only 7 of those thrown 20-30 yds, 1 30-40 yds and 1 40+ yds--9 of 20 not a result of yac. 2002 46% of his passes were 1-10 yds--2005 64% of his passes were 1-10 yds. I never expected Kubiak would be able to flip a light switch and fix Carr--if it gets done it will take some time, but Carr is decidedly not the QB he was coming out of college at least with regard to being willing to release the ball down field (not saying he was great at it to begin with but better).

Runner
09-01-2006, 08:54 AM
I'm going to post on a Carr thread! Wish me luck.

I only want to see one thing from Carr. Poise. If he can quickly develop/recover that, everything else will follow.

DRAMA
09-01-2006, 09:00 AM
The afternoon and evening guys are geniuses compared to the morning show guys. 610AM consists of the following:

COUGHING
Impressions
Coughing
Trailer, Wheel and Frame
Dr. Kenneth First
Coughing
Impression
1 call
Purina One
Carpet Cleaners
Impressions
Coughing
IMpressions
Coughing
1 call
Coughing
Air conditioning spot
Windows spot
Coughing
Brite Smile

***1 minute of commentary***

Coughing
Impression

Jim Rome show starts.

real
09-01-2006, 09:02 AM
The afternoon and evening guys are geniuses compared to the morning show guys. 610AM consists of the following:

COUGHING
Impressions
Coughing
Trailer, Wheel and Frame
Dr. Kenneth First
Coughing
Impression
1 call
Purina One
Carpet Cleaners
Impressions
Coughing
IMpressions
Coughing
1 call
Coughing
Air conditioning spot
Windows spot
Coughing
Brite Smile

Coughing
Impression

Jim Rome show starts.

Ha...thats is so true

SESupergenius
09-01-2006, 09:07 AM
The only thing you can conclude from last night is that Sage is a quality backup, something that we should be happy about. He is an upgrade over Tony Banks. There hasn't been a QB yet that has shown he can upseat Carr so really, there is not QB controversy, Carr just has to show that he can do it or not. If he can then we are solid at the QB position if Carr get hurt. If not, we will be looking to draft or bring in a QB FA next year. He should get the whole season in this new offense to find that out, not a few quarters in preseason.

real
09-01-2006, 09:11 AM
The only thing you can conclude from last night is that Sage is a quality backup, something that we should be happy about. He is an upgrade over Tony Banks. There hasn't been a QB yet that has shown he can upseat Carr so really, there is not QB controversy, Carr just has to show that he can do it or not. If he can then we are solid at the QB position if Carr get hurt. If not, we will be looking to draft or bring in a QB FA next year. He should get the whole season in this new offense to find that out, not a few quarters in preseason.

Yeah you're right...there hasn't been a QB that can "upseat" Carr, and IMO, thats strictly because none have been given the chance...Carr will remain the starter based on politics alone...He will not be "upseated" untill he "upseats" himself....And that is fine by me....I would rather Carr lose the job, than someone take it from him....In a perfect world Carr will become the QB he is supposed to be, and Sage be a great backup...but we shall see...:mario:

Marcus
09-01-2006, 09:12 AM

COUGHING
Impressions
Coughing
Trailer, Wheel and Frame
Dr. Kenneth First
Coughing
Impression
1 call
Purina One
Carpet Cleaners
Impressions
Coughing
IMpressions
Coughing
1 call
Coughing
Air conditioning spot
Windows spot
Coughing
Brite Smile

Coughing
Impression

Jim Rome show starts.

You forgot one thing . . .

"YOU NEED A GOOSENECK DUMP? WHO DOESN'T!"

being repeated every 10 minutes. :hairpull:

Gmurrie
09-01-2006, 09:24 AM
I'm afraid you guys are forgetting the constant, repressive metrosexual overtones that dominate the morning show. It's the thing that makes it almost impossible for me to listen to the show.

Honoring Earl 34
09-01-2006, 09:25 AM
I guess people dog Carr out of fear that this is really him ( QB play ). Pickett has been here a month and plays pretty good . I guess that means he's picked up things pretty well ... I know third string blah , blah but the point is he executed .

I have a solution ... I'm not one to just gripe so here it is , TJ needs to share his medicine with Carr ... that might help him focus . :bananasplit:

texan_fan_8
09-01-2006, 09:32 AM
No...Sage has played better than Carr....Carr hasn't looked as crisp as expected...thats allit boils down to...But you were commenting on his interview...C'mon...give...me...a break......Because he said his coach was entertaining and funny that makes him a bad QB ? what does that have to do with anything ?

Its an attitude. Character Leadership, respect, a work ethic and i think that speaks volumes. Its the same reason we gave for NOT taking reggie bush. Carr's problems are not everyone elses they are Carrs.

I don't see Carr improving, until he has an attitude change. Until that happens, 2nd and 3rd stringers will continue to show him up, demonstrate and understanding for the new offense and confidence.

supertankman
09-01-2006, 09:35 AM
Carr had alot of confidence out of the gate 4 years ago even with a terrible O-line. His confidence "gone" after last year especially with all the fans, media and Carr bashers.

Think about how much pressure this guy has on his shoulders right now, would you be anxious? Im suprsied the guy has not had a panic attack out there on the field with all the bashing thats going on, im sure he feels like if he does not complete every single pass, he is going to get bashed. If I were Carr's coach, I would say ignore the media / fans and do what you love, play football!

I think Carr is letting the pressure get to him and if he does not get on the field and start playing with passion instead of playing not to make mistakes, he will be heating the bench before the season ends.

real
09-01-2006, 09:35 AM
Its an attitude. Character Leadership, respect, a work ethic and i think that speaks volumes. Its the same reason we gave for NOT taking reggie bush. Carr's problems are not everyone elses they are Carrs.

I don't see Carr improving, until he has an attitude change. Until that happens, 2nd and 3rd stringers will continue to show him up, demonstrate and understanding for the new offense and confidence.

I hear you...I disagree with you...but I hear you...IMO,Carr just needs to play better, and that is all it boils down to...I think he has shown improvement in the leadership category, strictly because Kubes holds him accountable, and his teammates know it...I am not sure what you mean about an "attitude change"...care to elaborate ?

real
09-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Carr had alot of confidence out of the gate 4 years ago even with a terrible O-line. His confidence "gone" after last year especially with all the fans, media and Carr bashers.

Think about how much pressure this guy has on his shoulders right now, would you be anxious? Im suprsied the guy has not had a panic attack out there on the field with all the bashing thats going on, im sure he feels like if he does not complete every single pass, he is going to get bashed. If I were Carr's coach, I would say ignore the media / fans and do what you love, play football!

I think Carr is letting the pressure get to him and if he does not get on the field and start playing with passion instead of playing not to make mistakes, he will be heating the bench before the season ends.

Now i will take the other side of the argument...Who cares about his feelings of anxiety ? That is an exscuse you use for amatuer athletes...not pro's...If you are at work does your boss cut you slack because you have a lot of pressure on you ? I don't sympathize with him in that regard...He needs to play better...that,IMO, is all it boils down to...If he doesn't then we will move on...

Honoring Earl 34
09-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Now i will take the other side of the argument...Who cares about his feelings of anxiety ? That is an exscuse you use for amatuer athletes...not pro's...If you are at work does your boss cut you slack because you have a lot of pressure on you ? I don't sympathize with him in that regard...He needs to play better...that,IMO, is all it boils down to...If he doesn't then we will move on...
If this were a high school kid with QB anxiety's you would promptly move him to another position ... why ... he does'nt have it right now maybe never .

The Houston fans no that this team is going in the right direction . I think after this years draft class gets their feet wet and a good draft in 07 ( OLB , CB , WR , QB? ) we will be playoff contenders . Is Carr a QB to lead your team ?

real
09-01-2006, 10:14 AM
If this were a high school kid with QB anxiety's you would promptly move him to another position ... why ... he does'nt have it right now maybe never .

The Houston fans no that this team is going in the right direction . I think after this years draft class gets their feet wet and a good draft in 07 ( OLB , CB , WR , QB? ) we will be playoff contenders . Is Carr a QB to lead your team ?

That has yet to be determined...

chuckm
09-01-2006, 10:16 AM

COUGHING
Impressions
Coughing
Trailer, Wheel and Frame
Dr. Kenneth First
Coughing
Impression
1 call
Purina One
Carpet Cleaners
Impressions
Coughing
IMpressions
Coughing
1 call
Coughing
Air conditioning spot
Windows spot
Coughing
Brite Smile

Coughing
Impression

Jim Rome show starts.

Hilarious ... and sad all at the same time ....

Meloy
09-01-2006, 10:26 AM
Now i will take the other side of the argument...Who cares about his feelings of anxiety ? That is an exscuse you use for amatuer athletes...not pro's...If you are at work does your boss cut you slack because you have a lot of pressure on you ? I don't sympathize with him in that regard...He needs to play better...that,IMO, is all it boils down to...If he doesn't then we will move on...Interesting take on stress. I think people are cut some slack by the public and the boss if their job may lead to physical harm to that person or another. My examples would be a fireman, policeman or military. An athlete that could or does regularly get exposed to physical harm may be given some slack also. Personally, I put Carr there. He has averaged 50 sacks per season. Do I expect him to eventually get past that and perform well? Of course. Do I understand his anxiety and being gun shy? Of course. I do not think it is right to simply say," Carr, is an athlete. It is his job to take a beating and not allow it to effect him." How quick he recovers is the issue IMO. I think McNair will allow Kubes to make that decision. The first regular game will give a lot of info. I suggest we not jump ship until Kubes decides Carr can't do the job. I doubt he will hesitate to decide what is best for team.:twocents:

Double Barrel
09-01-2006, 10:29 AM

COUGHING
Impressions
Coughing
Trailer, Wheel and Frame
Dr. Kenneth First
Coughing
Impression
1 call
Purina One
Carpet Cleaners
Impressions
Coughing
IMpressions
Coughing
1 call
Coughing
Air conditioning spot
Windows spot
Coughing
Brite Smile

Coughing
Impression

Jim Rome show starts.

So true. The impressions get on my nerves so much that I have to immediately listen to something else (this morning being no exception). Not only are they lame, but someone laughing at their own jokes is a bit pathetic (especially when they aren't funny). I'll listen to national sports talk radio before these clowns.

chuckm
09-01-2006, 10:30 AM

COUGHING
Impressions
Coughing
Trailer, Wheel and Frame
Dr. Kenneth First
Coughing
Impression
1 call
Purina One
Carpet Cleaners
Impressions
Coughing
IMpressions
Coughing
1 call
Coughing
Air conditioning spot
Windows spot
Coughing
Brite Smile

Coughing
Impression

Jim Rome show starts.

You left out Gilbert

Meloy
09-01-2006, 10:31 AM
I am always amazed at how much credit people give to sports talk show hosts. It does not take much time listing to them to realize they may know a little about a lot of subjects but rarely know a lot about any one subject. If you look back at his time in Miami Sage is always money in the preseason, many a team has been fooled by a quarterbacks preseason performance. Will Carr be the answer? Not sure. But Drew Brees was so bad his first three years they drafted Phillip Rivers, and he has LT to hand off to! Once Antonio Gates arrived and they had the safety valve he improved drastically. Part of the Joy and pain of football is the only way to really know what you have it to get out there and play. Give Carr a chance under Kubiak at full speed with a full play book and not that crap they run in the preseason. I donít know if he will be the answer but we should know very soon, no excuses now. As far a 610 goes its entertainment, just like TV. If you want to be entertained listen, if you want to learn and really know about the sport read! There you go! Good thoughts.:ok:

HOU-TEX
09-01-2006, 10:32 AM
You left out Gilbert

HaHa..anyways..anyways:francis:

Doesn't Clemens have a restraining order against that guy?:spy:

real
09-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Interesting take on stress. I think people are cut some slack by the public and the boss if their job may lead to physical harm to that person or another. My examples would be a fireman, policeman or military. An athlete that could or does regularly get exposed to physical harm may be given some slack also. Personally, I put Carr there. He has averaged 50 sacks per season. Do I expect him to eventually get past that and perform well? Of course. Do I understand his anxiety and being gun shy? Of course. I do not think it is right to simply say," Carr, is an athlete. It is his job to take a beating and not allow it to effect him." How quick he recovers is the issue IMO. I think McNair will allow Kubes to make that decision. The first regular game will give a lot of info. I suggest we not jump ship until Kubes decides Carr can't do the job. I doubt he will hesitate to decide what is best for team.:twocents:

Of course....Everyone is cut some slack to a certain degree...But What I was trying to exspress is that you can only use that exscuse for so long...He is a pro and he is going to have to get over it eventually, just as a fireman, or police officer would...or they would have to find another profession...

Meloy
09-01-2006, 10:41 AM

Take the cap off, stop pushing it down over your eyes and start acting like a professionalNot to pick your post apart, I just do not see the evidence to support your claims. At the end of the season last year, when he had every right to point fingers & complain, I did not hear or see anything of that sort. He did go to management to ask for help in keeping him from being knocked out of his BVDs 3-4 times a game (regardless of whose fault the sack was). I never heard Carr say, "Well, if my receiver caught my pass, the Oline blocked better, if that dumb ass DD picked up the blitz, I'd win more games." He constantly said "We have to do better". When I heard Carr say "I" it was as the QB leader of team usually taking responsibility. He has contantly supported DD and recently said DD would be great for Carr.

Meloy
09-01-2006, 10:44 AM
Of course....Everyone is cut some slack to a certain degree...But What I was trying to exspress is that you can only use that exscuse for so long...He is a pro and he is going to have to get over it eventually, just as a fireman, or police officer would...or they would have to find another profession... I agree with this and apologise if I misunderstood. I just think any great QB you can name, would have problems being sacked 200 times. I too am concerned about Carr, but will give benefit of doubt for at minimum a couple games, if losing and more if winning. I will let Kubes handle this touchy position.

real
09-01-2006, 10:52 AM
I agree with this and apologise if I misunderstood. I just think any great QB you can name, would have problems being sacked 200 times. I too am concerned about Carr, but will give benefit of doubt for at minimum a couple games, if losing and more if winning. I will let Kubes handle this touchy position.

dito. But if Big Ben can come back after having his skull open for the world to see, and byron leftwich can play and not walk having to be carried by his lineman, and culpepper and brees can come back after major surgery...by golly Carr better be able to get over being Sacked...

DRAMA
09-01-2006, 11:15 AM
So true. The impressions get on my nerves so much that I have to immediately listen to something else (this morning being no exception). Not only are they lame, but someone laughing at their own jokes is a bit pathetic (especially when they aren't funny). I'll listen to national sports talk radio before these clowns.

It goes on forever and ever. I've been listening to 790 in the morning and they seem to be starting something pretty good over there. But you're right, the constant laughing at their own jokes, etc...is tough to take.

I mean, at least take calls and let us (The callers) use it as a forum to discuss with other callers and let them moderate.

***EXAMPLE***

Caller: "I think David Carr needs to relax in the pocket and stand strong and he'll be fine."

610: "Speaking of standing strong, did you see Standing Tall with the Rock? Now that was a great movie. You know The Rock played at 'The U' and tore his knee. Our boy Alonzo Highsnith tore his knee too and he played at the U. MAybe he should've tried movies. Speaking of movies, the General John McClain will be here in 4 days to talk about his movie and the Texans. The Texans need Carr to stand strong in the pocket. Speaking of strong, let me tell you about Busy Bodies....BLAH BLAH BLAH"

610 is like Purina 1 - it promotes solid stool.

Malloy
09-01-2006, 11:39 AM
dito. But if Big Ben can come back after having his skull open for the world to see, and byron leftwich can play and not walk having to be carried by his lineman, and culpepper and brees can come back after major surgery...by golly Carr better be able to get over being Sacked...

wow, you hit the nail on the head there! :)

infantrycak
09-01-2006, 11:49 AM

Carr has to get over it but I don't think the situations are analogous. Fact is you could walk up to most dogs and bust their leg on one occasion and they will heal up and get over any fear of you quickly. Beat him every day for a few months and he'll have an ingrained fear that will often never be resolved.

BigDTexansFan
09-01-2006, 11:52 AM
If i heard this correctly plummer from the denver broncos will be a FA next season. Do I hear another Bronco comming our way? :redtowel:

Is he going to take Marcus Coleman's DWI place on team, or is his ability to road rage an improvement?? This guy has more issues than Time-Life magazine :brickwall

Malloy
09-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Carr has to get over it but I don't think the situations are analogous. Fact is you could walk up to most dogs and bust their leg on one occasion and they will heal up and get over any fear of you quickly. Beat him every day for a few months and he'll have an ingrained fear that will often never be resolved.

I really hope you're not speaking from personal experience :)

HOU-TEX
09-01-2006, 12:02 PM

Kinda graphic, but definetly gets the point across. I agree.

TexanFanInCC
09-01-2006, 01:46 PM
why would an observation like that (let's face it, carr hasn't looked that great, and sage has) anger you?

exactly, what do you expect? the people are always going to act this way whenever something doesnt go their way. if the astros lose, the fans start talking about how bad this team is and how they wont go to the postseason...but if they win, they start saying that if they keep it up, they will be in the world series. its too hard to keep the entire audience happy. theres always going to be some sour fan who wont be satisfied.

GP
09-01-2006, 02:12 PM
The radio guys are talking about what a lot of the people in the stands are talking about. Our starting QB makes Tweek look laid back.

And no, Sage isn't the long term answer either. I just want someone (anyone) who can effectively run this offense. The next month is truly the crossroads for Carr and I hope he takes the right turn. He doesn't have to be spectacular, just calm and poised for a change and maybe sprinkle in a little bit of effective and in-control. I know that's asking a lot but QB performance - given adequate OL performance which seems to be almost there - is the single most important key to the success of the team this season.

Where's that deja vu music ?

It's the Denver offense that is the key--Look at Cutler's success. It really does give a QB the opportunity to perform well. It's predicated on making the QB become unselfish, to command the huddle and take what the defense will give on every play.

And we have that offense here. And we see all of our QBs being given the types of opportunities where they can just manage the game and not have to be Super Man all the time.

Remember the old days when QBs were just field generals who called the plays in the huddle, went out and did their job, and were almost as insignificant as the offensive linemen are considered to be?

But something happened in the 1990s. The concept of having a QB who could pass AND run was moved to the forefront of many team's strategy. Cunningham, Vick, McNabb, McNair, etc. Suddenly, the "key" to most every NFL team's offense was to have a QB who was a dual threat.

Only recently do you see a return to the old "pocket passer" QB...guys like Kurt Warner, Brad Johnson, Rothlesberger, Tom Brady, and Trent Dilfer are not considered to be the dual threat QB who makes plays on his own....but each of them have won Super Bowls haven't they? No, these are guys who command the huddle and hold everything together so the other guys can make the plays.

If David Carr can find a way to just be patient, to trust the system, and to take what the defense will give him, then will also be successful. I give him the benefit of the doubt because I think this offense can help him settle down and just be a QB for a change, and not the guy who always has to make the play himself. Plummer in Arizona was trying too hard, trying to be "The Guy" because of the lack of an offense around him, and I see the same opportunity in Carr.

Time will tell, that's for sure.

infantrycak
09-01-2006, 04:14 PM
Why the hell are the 610 guys spending 15+ minutes talking to one of the Monkeys?

Maybe too much time with McClain.

Double Barrel
09-01-2006, 05:07 PM
Why the hell are the 610 guys spending 15+ minutes talking to one of the Monkeys?

I heard that, too, and it just confirmed to me (again) that they are more of a sports & entertainment show than their much advertised "all sports, all the time" schtick.

I could give a rat's arse about the Monkeys, or any entertainer that is not an athlete, on my sports talk shows. It is beyond goofy, IMO. Yet more garbage programming taken from the script of old Jim Rome shows making it's way into local airwaves. :brickwall

Runner
09-01-2006, 05:10 PM

a) Because there is nothing interesting going on with the local sports teams right now.

b) Because it isn't time to sell replacement windows yet.

c) Because Houston sports talk radio isn't very good. Think if they were held to the same expectations as they hold the players to that they talk about.

CloakNNNdagger
09-01-2006, 05:25 PM

Maybe too much time with McClain.

Their (AM and PM) shows in general contain little substance. (Only the Rhome Show seems to be an accidentally well plotted spot.) They are overridden with commercials (although seemingly a little less than the mornings). They get side tracked with totally unrelated subjects. The station programming in the AM and PM seemed to be assembled by someone with severe ADHD. But you, if no one called in or listened for just 1 week, the program director would possibly entertain seeking medication and counseling.