PDA

View Full Version : Did Pickett earn the #3 spot tonite?

South Texan
08-31-2006, 10:15 PM
He looked, whoops, make that listened <sigh> pretty good to me, anyone else think he grabbed the third spot?

TexanFan881
08-31-2006, 10:18 PM
IMO, Porter lost the #3 QB spot, and Pickett was the next one in line

08-31-2006, 10:24 PM
I liked what I saw outta Pickett. I say he sticks around at #3.

Dime
08-31-2006, 10:26 PM
No.... Porter made the cut tonight...

Porter is a rook and can be groomed. Plus, He made some good plays. Picket didnt unseat him imo

TexanSam
08-31-2006, 10:28 PM

Porter is a rook and can be groomed. Plus, He made some good plays. Picket didnt unseat him imo

How much do you want to groom a 3rd string QB? I would much rather have Pickett. At least he's had some game experience, albeit very little. I don't think I'd want an undrafted rookie QB as our 3rd stringer. Granted, if Pickett or Porter ever got significant playing time anyway our season is probably a lost cause anyway, but I would rather see Pickett behind Sage. That's just me though.

vtech9
I liked what I saw outta Pickett. I say he sticks around at #3.
or do both of them get cut, and we only carry 2 QB's?

Hookem Horns

Pickett might have unseated Carr though. :rolleyes:

08-31-2006, 10:29 PM
or do both of them get cut, and we only carry 2 QB's?

that's not out of the question either.

powerfuldragon
08-31-2006, 10:35 PM
i think we keep pickett. dude rides bulls.

Hardcore Texan
08-31-2006, 10:46 PM
Pickett looked a ton better than Porter. I think we are going to have say goodbye to that 7th round pick.

powerfuldragon
08-31-2006, 10:55 PM
vinny, who do you think should be no. 3?

Capster67
08-31-2006, 11:07 PM
No question in my mind that Pickett earned the #3. He has experience (has started an NFL game) and is young. I loved his ability to pick up the first down on a 4th down play!!! I don't buy the "bring a young rookie along as your #3" argument unless we're talking someone like Vince Young. Does anyone remember the last "young rookie" we were going to bring alone (Dave Ragone)?

ronaldod1
08-31-2006, 11:14 PM
vinny, who do you think should be no. 3?

i don't post much, but i read here quite often.

you guys all seem to worship this vinny dude. why is that?

powerfuldragon
08-31-2006, 11:16 PM
i don't post much, but i read here quite often.

you guys all seem to worship this vinny dude. why is that?
i heard he can open beers. with his mind.

Hutch13
08-31-2006, 11:24 PM
i heard he can open beers. with his mind.

lol: :rofl: Funniest thing i have heard all day. Would give ya rep but i must spread it around before giving it to you again. Vinny is one of the mods.

Grid
08-31-2006, 11:27 PM
Vinny is one of numerous knowledgable fans on these boards. People tend to ask questions of the guys that stick out as "knowing what they are talking about".

I tend to disagree with Vinny alot :D..that could mean that im more ignorant than the average joe, or that i just dont think along the same lines :D.. but ya wont find me asking for Vinny's opinion much.. mostly cause I can expect that his opinion will be the exact opposite of mine hehe.

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2006, 11:28 PM
I don't think that we will be carrying more than 2 QBs this year, in order to maximize the number of true contributing players. The 3rd will likely be a practice squad.

vtech9
08-31-2006, 11:35 PM
I don't think that we will be carrying more than 2 QBs this year, in order to maximize the number of true contributing players. The 3rd will likely be a practice squad.
that's about what I thought also...I expect to see Porter on the practice squad.

Vinny
08-31-2006, 11:36 PM
Vinny is one of numerous knowledgable fans on these boards. People tend to ask questions of the guys that stick out as "knowing what they are talking about".

I tend to disagree with Vinny alot :D..that could mean that im more ignorant than the average joe, or that i just dont think along the same lines :D.. but ya wont find me asking for Vinny's opinion much.. mostly cause I can expect that his opinion will be the exact opposite of mine hehe.If you find the cross section of Grid and my thoughts you will find the truth...in the middle somewhere.

I'm not sure what they do with QB3 PD. New coaches have new ideas about how they want to handle the roster. To me the most interesting angle on this is to see if we pick up Van Pelt if the Broncos cut him.

ronaldod1
08-31-2006, 11:37 PM

I tend to disagree with Vinny alot :D..that could mean that im more ignorant than the average joe, or that i just dont think along the same lines :D.. but ya wont find me asking for Vinny's opinion much.. mostly cause I can expect that his opinion will be the exact opposite of mine hehe.

From what I've seen he really does his homework. I was just curious as to whether or not he holds some sort of position with the team.

Same goes for you Grid, Infantrycak etc.

keep up the good work guys. i appreciate the insight.

Vinny
08-31-2006, 11:39 PM
From what I've seen he really does his homework. I was just curious as to whether or not he holds some sort of position with the team.

Same goes for you Grid, Infantrycak etc.

keep up the good work guys. i appreciate the insight.
I just help run the mb...I yap at/with a ton of people though. Some pretty close to the action, and some of this spewage is just my take on stuff.

mexican_texan
09-01-2006, 12:14 AM
I watched the game from behind an endzone(Texans on my left, Bucs on my right) and Porter looked much better to me from that angle. To me, it seemed that Pickett put too much air into his throws and had he not been playing with reserves, he would have gotten picked off plenty. I liked how Porter when through his progressions and looks like he can be a solid number two or even a starter under Kubiak. I did not like Porter one bit in college, but Kubiak has shown his genius through Porter.

tburdette
09-01-2006, 12:19 AM
Pickett looked really good and numbers don't lie. Like some of you have said I want a guy with a little experience as our 3rd stringer. And how and how about Antoine Smith busting off that big run? I think he helped himself out a ton tonight.

edo783
09-01-2006, 04:00 AM
Is the guy who would cost us a draft pick next year that much better than the one who wont? I'm not sure which is which, but at the 3rd QB spot, that might be something to keep in mind. If he is worth the extra charge keep him, but if it's real close, save the pick IMO.

Codger
09-01-2006, 11:07 AM
I watched the game from behind an endzone(Texans on my left, Bucs on my right) and Porter looked much better to me from that angle. To me, it seemed that Pickett put too much air into his throws and had he not been playing with reserves, he would have gotten picked off plenty. I liked how Porter when through his progressions and looks like he can be a solid number two or even a starter under Kubiak. I did not like Porter one bit in college, but Kubiak has shown his genius through Porter.

How many beers?

HOU-TEX
09-01-2006, 11:16 AM
Wasn't it Porter who threw the pass to Daniels that was right in the bread basket? He was covered well too. It doesn't mean much but that was a heck of a pass. Of course he tried it again a few plays later out in the flat but fell incomplete.:spy:

Codger
09-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Is the guy who would cost us a draft pick next year that much better than the one who wont? I'm not sure which is which, but at the 3rd QB spot, that might be something to keep in mind. If he is worth the extra charge keep him, but if it's real close, save the pick IMO.

They will cut Pickett just for that reason. It is cheaper to keep Porter, if they keep three. It doesn't mean Porter is better, because Pickett can beat him on his worst day.:cowboy1:

Divebomb
09-01-2006, 12:18 PM
Pickett moved the ball with confidence, but I think well probably have to wait until the cuts are made across the league before anything is set in stone. Porter looked like crap, hes done Practice Squad!

Meloy
09-01-2006, 12:38 PM
I don't think that we will be carrying more than 2 QBs this year, in order to maximize the number of true contributing players. The 3rd will likely be a practice squad.My thoughts too. Carr almost never went out more than a couple plays first 4 years. Sage fills the Tony banks role. We don't need a 3rd QB on active roster with so many palyers needed to strengthen other positions. Plus I expect us to pick up at least 2 guys from waiver wire. I'm thinking corner and linebacker with maybe a safety if a good prospect is waived.

Meloy
09-01-2006, 12:46 PM
How many beers?Do not focus on the beer, he stirs the fondue with a finger and can change tv stations with a glance ... remote batteries never need changing.:yahoo:

HOU-TEX
09-01-2006, 02:01 PM
My thoughts too. Carr almost never went out more than a couple plays first 4 years. Sage fills the Tony banks role. We don't need a 3rd QB on active roster with so many palyers needed to strengthen other positions. Plus I expect us to pick up at least 2 guys from waiver wire. I'm thinking corner and linebacker with maybe a safety if a good prospect is waived.

Believe it or not, Kubiak and Rick Smith also said he'd also pick up a DT if there was one available.:confused:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2816&section=N%20Latest%20News

mexican_texan
09-01-2006, 02:19 PM
How many beers?
Check my age. The Bull Pen was full of empty beer bottles though...:stirpot: .

Rightnow
09-01-2006, 02:45 PM
I feel confident we are only going to carry two QBs this year. The reasoning is that the third string QB will be young and unable to carry a team if the first two go down. The only reason to carry three would be to develop the third into a first string player over a couple of years.

If David and Sage both go down we will go bring some old veteran out of retirement before we let an untested rookie try to run the team--especially if we are wanting to have a winning record or make a playoff run.

Hardcore Texan
09-01-2006, 02:55 PM
What if Pickett gets put on the practice squad? Does that qualify as "making the roster" and the Texans have to give up a 7th Round pick?

donbmt
09-01-2006, 03:01 PM
He's gone, just announced.