PDA

View Full Version : Dom Davis' career is over

dalemurphy
08-31-2006, 09:35 PM
If you heard the interview with Bob Allen, it sounds like this is it. He said he had "a bit of arthritis"... He also said that he was missing meniscus that can't be repaired and that part of his knee is "almost bone on bone". He said he won't be cut on again and that he's ready to deal with going on IR.

powerfuldragon
08-31-2006, 10:01 PM
Cut him. For his own sake.

Texizgreat
08-31-2006, 10:02 PM
thats to bad.... hopefully he can heal.

GuerillaBlack
08-31-2006, 10:02 PM
Sad, Davis was a good back. Who injured him?

texan279
08-31-2006, 10:10 PM
Yeah he talked about "healing up", but you cannot regrow cartilage or muscle. Add that to the statement where he said he would not have any more surgeries, I don't know what he is expecting to happen.

Jwwillis
08-31-2006, 10:11 PM
Was wondering when this thread would start. I think the coaches all, of course, know this about DD. Wonder why "Mr. Open with the media Kubiak" and company have failed to be as forthcoming about his condition. :spy:

tsip
08-31-2006, 10:16 PM
thats to bad.... hopefully he can heal.

...nothing to heal-arthritis ain't going anywhere and what he's missing can not be grown back

South Texan
08-31-2006, 10:19 PM
In the interview he had on Field Pass Davis said they will make the decision on Saturday, but he didn't sound to optimistic.

He was one of our few consistant bright spots in previous years, I really hate to see him go.

Marcus
08-31-2006, 10:20 PM
Yeah he talked about "healing up", but you cannot regrow cartilage or muscle. Add that to the statement where he said he would not have any more surgeries, I don't know what he is expecting to happen.
He needs to write on the blackboard 100 times . . . Denial is not a river in Egypt

Another thing to keep in mind, he gets an $800,000 roster bonus. He gets an extra 800 grand if he doesn't get cut. Nice.

texan279
08-31-2006, 10:21 PM
I really don't understand what the point is in putting him on IR unless he will play through the pain.

Marcus
08-31-2006, 10:25 PM
Was wondering when this thread would start. I think the coaches all, of course, know this about DD. Wonder why "Mr. Open with the media Kubiak" and company have failed to be as forthcoming about his condition. :spy:
I wouldn't take a shot at Kubiak about this. He's trying to be sensitive about a sensitive issue, and make every effort to do right with his players.

Vinny
08-31-2006, 10:26 PM
To me he looked like he was saying that he is done. He said he wouldn't come back unless he was 100%. So, since his knee will never be 100% again and Casserly gave him that big contract with millions of guaranteed $$$$...I think he is done.

Hutch13
08-31-2006, 10:27 PM
I think hes done. Too bad though he was a good running back and was one of my favorite texans.

TexanSam
08-31-2006, 10:29 PM
Cut him. For his own sake.

I don't think you can cut an injured player. It's against NFL rules I believe. I do believe you can reach an injury settlement though. At leasts that's what I think I heard on the radio.

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2006, 10:30 PM
Unfortunately, DD was allowed to "run his knees to the ground" for a long time before surgery was ever entertained.

Smash_Mouth_Mario
08-31-2006, 10:34 PM
If you heard the interview with Bob Allen, it sounds like this is it. He said he had "a bit of arthritis"... He also said that he was missing meniscus that can't be repaired and that part of his knee is "almost bone on bone". He said he won't be cut on again and that he's ready to deal with going on IR.

:(

DD was a excellent RB!

Here's to DD: texanpride

TexanFan881
08-31-2006, 10:37 PM
Don't give up on him yet (wait, after everything that's happened, I think I will) :( It's really too bad that things might come to an end like this for such a solid player.

Marcus
08-31-2006, 10:37 PM
I really don't understand what the point is in putting him on IR unless he will play through the pain.
It doesn't make any sense to me either. The doctors have supposedly told him that the knee will never be the same, and that he will have to deal with the pain. But then DD says he won't play again until the knee feels better.

My take on this . . is that they will IR him for the season just to make the issue go away, even if they have to eat the salary for this year, and then quietly give him an injury settlement in the offseason.

But he'll never play a down of football in the NFL again.

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2006, 10:41 PM
I don't think you can cut an injured player. It's against NFL rules I believe. I do believe you can reach an injury settlement though. At leasts that's what I think I heard on the radio.

You're correct, CBA doesn't allow cut of an injured player without an injury settlement. Putting him on IR frees up a roster spot without cutting the player, while allowing him to "heal." In his case, healing to play again is very unlikely. With guaranteed monies, there does not seem to be advantage for placing him on IR, but it may allow time for an amicable financial parting agreement.

Vinny
08-31-2006, 10:48 PM
You're correct, CBA doesn't allow cut of an injured player without an injury settlement. Putting him on IR frees up a roster spot without cutting the player, while allowing him to "heal." In his case, healing to play again is very unlikely. With guaranteed monies, there does not seem to be advantage for placing him on IR, but it may allow time for an amicable financial parting agreement.
Kubiak and upper management was meeting with Dom and his agent right? On the surface it sounds like it may be an injury settlement type situation except for the fact that Kubiak ruled that out.

vtech9
08-31-2006, 10:50 PM
Unfortunately, DD was allowed to "run his knees to the ground" for a long time before surgery was ever entertained.
hey CND, I know I asked you before about the option of using cartilage from a cadaver, but I didn't think to ask you about using teflon or silicone? Would one of those be an option? Are there any other options? Of course, any of these options would require more surgery, which DD says is not going to happen, but I would love to here your thoughts on the subject.

Pantherstang84
08-31-2006, 10:52 PM
I agree with the others he is done.

A sad end to a very brief good career.

I wish him the best of luck in the future.

powerfuldragon
08-31-2006, 10:52 PM
this is the longest of longshots, but what if they want to keep him to help train thier running backs?

Vinny
08-31-2006, 10:55 PM
this is the longest of longshots, but what if they want to keep him to help train thier running backs?
um, no

powerfuldragon
08-31-2006, 10:59 PM
um, no
shot down.

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2006, 11:02 PM
hey CND, I know I asked you before about the option of using cartilage from a cadaver, but I didn't think to ask you about using teflon or silicone? Would one of those be an option? Are there any other options? Of course, any of these options would require more surgery, which DD says is not going to happen, but I would love to here your thoughts on the subject.

These are materials not really successful as overlays. They are part of knee replacement prostheses. Attempts at injecting silicone (fluid/gel) into the joint itself to act as a "lubricant" between the joint surfaces has very little success in general. And when it does work, it usually just allows for more comfortable activities such as just simply walking...........not tearing up a football field.

vtech9
08-31-2006, 11:06 PM
These are materials not really successful as overlays. They are part of knee replacement prostheses. Attempts at injecting silicone (fluid/gel) into the joint itself to act as a "lubricant" between the joint surfaces has very little success in general. And when it does work, it usually just allows for more comfortable activities such as just simply walking...........not tearing up a football field.
Hmmm...I had heard that they were having some good successes using teflon as a replacement

BigDTexansFan
08-31-2006, 11:12 PM
I think Kubiak is going to give DD a year, to think about whether he will try and play if possible. After that year on IR if DD is still saying hurts too much, THEN will be given an injury settlement and sent away.

Class way to handle instead of just cutting him loose and saying heres a check, give him a chance to see if he can come back and if not then can end it.

tsip
08-31-2006, 11:27 PM
I think Kubiak is going to give DD a year, to think about whether he will try and play if possible. After that year on IR if DD is still saying hurts too much, THEN will be given an injury settlement and sent away.

Class way to handle instead of just cutting him loose and saying heres a check, give him a chance to see if he can come back and if not then can end it.

...nice chunk of change to sit out a year---$800,000 roster bonus plus $4+ million for '07

Bobo
09-01-2006, 12:12 AM

Yep, he's through. I can't believe that Kubiak didn't know this going into the season, though. All you have to do is run a scan on it and you would have seen what the problem was.

TexanSam
09-01-2006, 01:24 AM
I didn't watch the interview, but did the interview make it sound like Domanick Davis' career may be over, or is that what we're guessing at? I haven't read anywhere else that his whole career is in jeopardy, just that it may take a while to heal.

rafterticket
09-01-2006, 01:42 AM
Sad, Davis was a good back. Who injured him?

Dom Capers and Charlie Casserly.

One of a few talents wasted by the previous regime.

Malloy
09-01-2006, 03:47 AM
It doesn't make any sense to me either. The doctors have supposedly told him that the knee will never be the same, and that he will have to deal with the pain. But then DD says he won't play again until the knee feels better.

My take on this . . is that they will IR him for the season just to make the issue go away, even if they have to eat the salary for this year, and then quietly give him an injury settlement in the offseason.

But he'll never play a down of football in the NFL again.

That's pretty much my take on this whole thing too. Sad but true...

Malloy
09-01-2006, 03:49 AM
Kubiak and upper management was meeting with Dom and his agent right? On the surface it sounds like it may be an injury settlement type situation except for the fact that Kubiak ruled that out.

Kubiak, that darn liar! :)

Smells like IR for a year, THEN settlement... that way _ALMOST_ everybody is happy, well apart from Mcnair who has to pay extra $ for a player on IR... :)

O.G.
09-01-2006, 07:18 AM

I think that's what it will be Vinny. I just don't think Kubiak wanted all over the news.

texan279
09-01-2006, 07:23 AM
Dom Capers and Charlie Casserly.

One of a few talents wasted by the previous regime.

In the interview Dom said he had been dealing with this knee since college, I don't think he was "wasted" by the previous regime.

Marcus
09-01-2006, 07:55 AM
I can't believe I didn't connect the dots until now about the "bone bruise" and Dom saying it was "almost bone on bone". If you rest the knee long enough, the bruise will eventually heal, like Dom wants it to, but then when you work out again, the bones will grind, and "bruise" all over again. Duh!

He's got a knee replacement coming his way when he gets to his 50's or 60's.

Oh, and a . . . Casserly, you suck!

phan1
09-01-2006, 08:05 AM
This really really sucks. Just an unfortunate thing to happen to both Dom and this football team. It's really wierd how you can put a knee that's been torn in half back together but you can't do anything if you're in DD's situation. This is just bad luck. Nothing you can do, and it's not like any of us could see us coming.

I also don't want to be too harsh on Casserly giving him that money. Looking back, he was our best RB by far. Almost putting 3 straight 1000 yd seasons together is no easy task. Coupled with the fact that he was literally 1/3 of our offense, and it's hard not to make sure he stays on this team. He was our team's Ladanian Tomlinson, not in skill, but in his role in the offense.

Just a really tough break for both sides. :(

Blake
09-01-2006, 08:32 AM
I hate to hear that. But I think this is the best time to start fresh with new running backs. I'm glad Davis has his money, and can retire with cash in the bank.

texan279
09-01-2006, 08:33 AM
I have been thinking about it and cannot believe that Kubiak said he wouldn't cut Davis before meeting with the doctors and agent unless they already have some sort of settlement talks in the works.

Doom Capers
09-01-2006, 08:35 AM
People we need to be a little more supportive than "cut him". This is a guy who was used as a workhorse the past 3 season for this team. Without him we probably wouldn't have been able to win half of our games. I think he deserves a chance to sit on IR and see how he feels. He also deserves the 800,000 bonus.

texan279
09-01-2006, 08:42 AM
People we need to be a little more supportive than "cut him". This is a guy who was used as a workhorse the past 3 season for this team. Without him we probably wouldn't have been able to win half of our games. I think he deserves a chance to sit on IR and see how he feels. He also deserves the 800,000 bonus.

The guy said last night he has arthritis in his knee, meniscus damage, and that his knee is almost "bone on bone" and that he will not have any more surgeries. Do you honestly think that a year on IR will help him? And Davis has averaged 257 carries a season. I consider guys who put up 300+ attempts a season workhorses myself, even though Dom has been our #1 RB the last 3 seasons he hasn't even played a full season.

Doom Capers
09-01-2006, 08:52 AM
And how many dump off catches did he have? The guy got a lot of touches and was over worked. He hasn't played a whole season because he is too small, but the highly smart coaching staff the past few years didn't care.

Texans Horror
09-01-2006, 08:56 AM
IMO, between catching and running DD did the best of any Texan of producing on the field. The problem has been getting him there. He deserves the IR and the Texans owe him a lot.

texan279
09-01-2006, 08:57 AM
And how many dump off catches did he have? The guy got a lot of touches and was over worked. He hasn't played a whole season because he is too small, but the highly smart coaching staff the past few years didn't care.

Too small? In the interview last night he said he has been dealing with the knee since college, it's not like Capers worked him into the ground and his knee went out or anything.

Doom Capers
09-01-2006, 09:02 AM
But he is still too small to be an every down back, but that is how they used him.

texan279
09-01-2006, 09:05 AM
But he is still too small to be an every down back, but that is how they used him.

He is the same size as Rudi Johnson, bigger than Tiki Barber, and 2 inches shorter than Shaun Alexander.

dalemurphy
09-01-2006, 09:06 AM

If he had a bad shoulder you could blame that on overwork. Structural damage to the knee is just a fact of life for some people. It's sad and unfortunate but I don't think the previous coaching staff can be blamed for it.

I wish him well. That being said, our running game will be better this year than at any time the first four seasons because of the attention to detail and philosophical changes. It's too bad that Davis couldn't be healthy this season because he could've benefited from these changes as well. Fortunately, he is set for life if he handles his money properly.

This situation is exactly why I didn't want Bush drafted. RBs have such short careers, generally, and are at such a risk for injury. That's another reason why this offensive system we have is so genius. It is about the execution of all 11 players on the field and doesn't rely heavily on one or two guys- an important point since injuries are such a reality in the NFL.

dalemurphy
09-01-2006, 09:11 AM

He's Emmitt Smith's size. What you are saying now is exactly why Emmitt Smith slipped to the 17th pick of the first round in 1990. Smith was 5'9" and around 210 lbs coming out of college. His playing weight in the early 90s was about 220lbs. Tiki Barber is 31 years old and coming off his best season of his career. I believe heighth has more to do with injury risks than anything else. I'd much rather have a guy 5'8" and 200 lbs carrying the load than a player 6'3" and 225lbs.

The reality is that most RBs, regardless of size, are unable to handle the pounding of the NFL for very long.

infantrycak
09-01-2006, 09:42 AM
He's Emmitt Smith's size. What you are saying now is exactly why Emmitt Smith slipped to the 17th pick of the first round in 1990. Smith was 5'9" and around 210 lbs coming out of college. His playing weight in the early 90s was about 220lbs. Tiki Barber is 31 years old and coming off his best season of his career. I believe heighth has more to do with injury risks than anything else. I'd much rather have a guy 5'8" and 200 lbs carrying the load than a player 6'3" and 225lbs.

Excellent post. You are actually enlarging Smith. He came out of college at 205 lbs and at his heaviest was 216 lbs.

Other recent examples:

Tiki Barber 5' 10" 205 lbs
Clinton Portis 5' 11" 212 lbs
LT 5' 10" 221 lbs
Thomas Jones 5' 10" 215 lbs
Willie Parker 5' 10" 209 lbs--just signed to a new contract
Cadillac Williams 5' 11" 217 lbs
Curtis Martin 5' 10" 210 lbs
etc.

19-10
09-01-2006, 10:04 AM
IMO, between catching and running DD did the best of any Texan of producing on the field. The problem has been getting him there. He deserves the IR and the Texans owe him a lot.

You think any back in the league wants LESS touches? Come on guys, be realistic. He lasted slightly shorter than the avg. RB in the NFL. AND he got paid AND he can still walk & talk. He gave what he was supposed to give, just like you do at work. The Texans owe him whatever the contract says it does, nothing else. All this feel good stuff is garbage. We'll all miss him, hell I'm wearing his jersey to the game next Sunday but still put it in perspective.
This is a business, not rec league at the Y.

Tale Gator
09-01-2006, 10:05 AM
Microfracture surgery DD -- microfracture...

Rightnow
09-01-2006, 10:18 AM

I agree. He was one of the keys to our small amount of success over the last couple of years. If I was McNair I would see he is well taken care of and then part ways if he can't play. This is why IR makes the most sense. There is a remote possibility he could be back next year so why not? The Texans are making plenty of money--all but 300 season tickets have been sold.

I think it would help the Texans' reputation about taking care of players who contribute.

chuckm
09-01-2006, 10:21 AM
I agree. He was one of the keys to our small amount of success over the last couple of years. If I was McNair I would see he is well taken care of and then part ways if he can't play.

I know this isnt an exact analogy (baseball v. football salary realities), but this kind of thinking has the Astros stuck paying Bagwell a gozillion dollars for doing nothing ....

The Texans are making plenty of money--all but 300 season tickets have been sold.

salary cap

I think it would help the Texans' reputation about taking care of players who contribute.

I agree

CloakNNNdagger
09-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Microfracture surgery DD -- microfracture...

This type of minimally invasive surgery is confined to smaller, defined areas of cartilage damage...not widely diffuse deficiency of surface cartilage joint coverage. It is performed arthroscopically as an outpatient. It's essentially drilling multiple holes in the denuded areas to stimulate the bone marrow to release cells that can cause cartilage defects to heal with neogrowth. Some studies claim a 75 percent improvement at three-to-five-year follow-up. But in the case of athletes, except in addressing smaller areas of defect, it is still one that would be advocated for an older athlete trying to be more mobile in everyday type of activities.....not returning to the football field........essentially a maneuver attempting to temporarily postopone an inevitable knee replacement.

19-10
09-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Ignore

texan279
09-01-2006, 11:04 AM
This type of minimally invasive surgery is confined to smaller, defined areas of cartilage damage...not widely diffuse deficiency of surface cartilage joint coverage. It is performed arthroscopically as an outpatient. It's essentially drilling multiple holes in the denuded areas to stimulate the bone marrow to release cells that can cause cartilage defects to heal with neogrowth. Some studies claim a 75 percent improvement at three-to-five-year follow-up. But in the case of athletes, except in addressing smaller areas of defect, it is still one that would be advocated for an older athlete trying to be more mobile in everyday type of activities.....not returning to the football field........essentially a maneuver attempting to temporarily postopone an inevitable knee replacement.

So basically, going on what you know about DD's knee, would surgery even help? In your opinion is his career over? One last question, isn't the meniscus the layer of tissue/muscle that fits under the kneecap and provides a layer of protection between the kneecap and knee joint? And once again, thanks for the input on this, you have posted some great information regarding DD's knee over the past several weeks.

Malloy
09-01-2006, 11:32 AM

Easy for you to say when you're not the one that has to whip out $5-6 million because DD "deserves" it...

Xman
09-01-2006, 11:35 AM

He got the signing bonus (8mil?) - AND he still deserves another 800k? for nothing?

I agree it is sad he is hurt. But, its not like he got hurt on his rookie contract - then I would agree that he deserves extra. But, he pocketed 8 mil and only has played half a season (another 2 mil for that season) since. So, if its treu that this is a permanent problem, cut him. We need to build for the future, and if this is a permanent problem, he is not part of it.

texan279
09-01-2006, 11:37 AM
He got the signing bonus (8mil?) - AND he still deserves another 800k? for nothing?

I agree it is sad he is hurt. But, its not like he got hurt on his rookie contract - then I would agree that he deserves extra. But, he pocketed 8 mil and only has played half a season (another 2 mil for that season) since. So, if its treu that this is a permanent problem, cut him. We need to build for the future, and if this is a permanent problem, he is not part of it.

I agree. Loyalty was one of Capers' downfalls.

Frills
09-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Where was DD's loyalty to Carr on his blocking assignments?

run-david-run
09-01-2006, 11:56 AM

For the upteth time, you cant cut a player when he is hurt. That would require another settelment and more money being paid out this season. They are going to wait a year, put him on IR and proabably settle the injury and cut him next offseason, assuming he dosnt make a miraculous recovery.

WWJD
09-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Let the guy heal and move on with somebody else this year.

I thought Smith looked good. The Texans are fine at RB.

TexansLucky13
09-01-2006, 12:01 PM
Let the guy heal and move on with somebody else this year.

I thought Smith looked good. The Texans are fine at RB.

He has already said that the damage is irreversible and that he will not get operated on again. He is done with his career, unfortunately. I love him but it's just the way it is.

IMHO Smith will be getting cut today. We have younger, better talent at RB right now and Antowain is far past his prime.

Divebomb
09-01-2006, 12:01 PM
I don't understand what is going through his mind but I am getting the feeling that DD another victim of the Million Dollar Syndrome? The doctors say that he is clear to play, note to Coach Kubiak “Davis is all mental make him play or start fining the guy”. Davis has had plenty of time to return, shoot T.O. came back from a broken ankle in like 6 weeks. I get the feeling that if you start taking those Dollars out of his pocket, Million Dollar Davis will see the light.

Hervoyel
09-01-2006, 12:48 PM
...But, its not like he got hurt on his rookie contract - then I would agree that he deserves extra....

Then it would be easy to agree that he "deserves extra" since he wouldn't be getting it right?

To some extent the fat contract is as much a reward for what you have done as it is payment for what you will do. Relatively few rookies can demand the kind of "set for life" contract that someone like Reggie Bush* gets out of the gate. When you're picked in the fourth round to return kicks and come in on 3rd down then you have to survive your rookie contract and do enough to earn a bigger one next time around.

Don't regret the money that goes to Domanick Davis because it was well spent and honestly earned. It's one thing to get annoyed at dead money on the cap for people who didn't put out on the field and the Texans cap has plenty of them.

Domanick Davis earned his paycheck and he earned his signing bonus. It's a shame he won't be playing this year but maybe he'll come back in 2007. It is at least a possibility.

(*chosen as an example only because he was the top running back picked in the draft this year)

Meloy
09-01-2006, 12:54 PM
hey CND, I know I asked you before about the option of using cartilage from a cadaver, but I didn't think to ask you about using teflon or silicone? Would one of those be an option? Are there any other options? Of course, any of these options would require more surgery, which DD says is not going to happen, but I would love to here your thoughts on the subject. Look at the $ DD is signed for. Look at the yards he has gained. If he thought there was any surgery that would allow him to play, even if it was not til 2007, i think he would choose that route. I think career is over and Kubes is respecting the guy.

Texas
09-01-2006, 01:00 PM
Hes a great guy and has carried this team for a while now...Hopefully he will help up and can do it for us again some day! I really hope Morency or Lundy or Smith can stand up and do what they gotta do.

DocBar
09-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Not picking on you, OSO, but what EXACTLY do the Texans owe him? He's due a ton of $$ that is owed to him, contractually. He's going to retire a wealthy, mostly healthy young man. Unfortunately, the business side of life HAS to take precedence over sentimentality. I might feel differently if he had been a MAJOR part of the sports scene in Houston(ALA Jeff Bagwell) for a decade or so.

CloakNNNdagger
09-01-2006, 01:20 PM
So basically, going on what you know about DD's knee, would surgery even help? In your opinion is his career over? One last question, isn't the meniscus the layer of tissue/muscle that fits under the kneecap and provides a layer of protection between the kneecap and knee joint? And once again, thanks for the input on this, you have posted some great information regarding DD's knee over the past several weeks.

Over the past few months, I have tried to prepare the board for the "realistic." Again, it is my opinion from all available information afforded to me that DD was allowed to "run his knee to the ground" before it was addressed appropriately. "Play through the pain," "suck it up," "act like a man." These are all things athletes are told and are programmed to accept. However, pain especially chronic pain is always a way your body is letting you know that something is wrong........usually ongoing progressive trauma. At its first appearance there needs to be thorough evaluation. If there is even the small beginnings of a problem, i.e., a meniscal tear (the menisci only account for small perimeter areas of the knee joint surface), you don't ignore it "to finish out the season" (and remember knee problems since college unaddressed) or until you "can't take it anymore," unless you are willing to take the chance that it can extend itself to a situation that is no longer amenable to reasonable correction or "longevity." For whatever reasons, the latter was apparently allowed/encouraged and the inevitable has come to be. The menisci were no longer there to cushion protect the remaining large areas of cartilagineous knee joint surfaces, and the floating meniscus particles which were not addressed in a timely fashion further traumatically eroded these surfaces................until "bone on bone." End of story........and, unfortunately, I would be shocked if not end of career.

El Tejano
09-01-2006, 01:26 PM
Any chance, and I am just speculating, that the Texans are making sure he can't go before they cut him for our own sake and to make sure no other team takes a chance on him because we would hate to lose him?

SteelBlueToro
09-01-2006, 01:32 PM
Any chance, and I am just speculating, that the Texans are making sure he can't go before they cut him for our own sake and to make sure no other team takes a chance on him because we would hate to lose him?
If he won't play for the Texans (for all the money they gave him), he won't play for another team that'll pay him less because he's hurt...

TexanFanInCC
09-01-2006, 01:34 PM

tiki barber is not that big...

Rightnow
09-01-2006, 01:38 PM
I'm glad I'm not the one having to choose between Taylor and Smith. Taylor has more upside and speed, but Smith is proven and a good veteran. It is risky to carry three rookies. I know Morency isn't a rookie, but he nearly is when it comes to playing time. I don't think we can put Taylor on the practice squad without someone grabbing him.

If it came down to it, I'd probably pick Taylor. Since he has that break away speed he offeres something that Smith, Lundy and Morency can't. It will be later in the season before his vision is good enough to have him on the field much.

cuppacoffee
09-01-2006, 01:41 PM
Over the past few months, I have tried to prepare the board for the "realistic." Again, it is my opinion from all available information afforded to me that DD was allowed to "run his knee to the ground" before it was addressed appropriately. "Play through the pain," "suck it up," "act like a man." These are all things athletes are told and are programmed to accept. However, pain especially chronic pain is always a way your body is letting you know that something is wrong........usually ongoing progressive trauma. At its first appearance there needs to be thorough evaluation. If there is even the small beginnings of a problem, i.e., a meniscal tear (the menisci only account for small perimeter areas of the knee joint surface), you don't ignore it "to finish out the season" (and remember knee problems since college unaddressed) or until you "can't take it anymore," unless you are willing to take the chance that it can extend itself to a situation that is no longer amenable to reasonable correction or "longevity." For whatever reasons, the latter was apparently allowed/encouraged and the inevitable has come to be. The menisci were no longer there to cushion protect the remaining large areas of cartilagineous knee joint surfaces, and the floating meniscus particles which were not addressed in a timely fashion further traumatically eroded these surfaces................until "bone on bone." End of story........and, unfortunately, I would be shocked if not end of career.

What he said!

Sounds like DD waited too long to have his surgery?

Another reason to dislike our previous regime. I suppose.

:coffee:

Jwwillis
09-02-2006, 06:29 AM
Or the doc took too much off. DD missed 8 games doesnt seem like he played hurt too much.

HoustonFan
09-02-2006, 08:15 AM
I'm glad I'm not the one having to choose between Taylor and Smith. Taylor has more upside and speed, but Smith is proven and a good veteran. It is risky to carry three rookies. I know Morency isn't a rookie, but he nearly is when it comes to playing time. I don't think we can put Taylor on the practice squad without someone grabbing him.

If it came down to it, I'd probably pick Taylor. Since he has that break away speed he offeres something that Smith, Lundy and Morency can't. It will be later in the season before his vision is good enough to have him on the field much.

Maybe I missed the answer, but w/ the possibility of DD being cut - :confused: :( - could they have kept A. Smith, Morency, Taylor, and Lundy?

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-02-2006, 08:19 AM
:crying:

PapaL
09-02-2006, 09:12 AM
Maybe I missed the answer, but w/ the possibility of DD being cut - :confused: :( - could they have kept A. Smith, Morency, Taylor, and Lundy?

Not a possibility. Cant cut injured players. Must make a contract settlement with them.

We could have kept 52 RBs and 1 OL if we so desired.

rafterticket
09-03-2006, 01:44 AM
In the interview Dom said he had been dealing with this knee since college, I don't think he was "wasted" by the previous regime.

He may have said that. But when you are the one carrying 62% of the offense when the previous regime fails to put enough talent around you, my statement more than stands as resonable.

Because of the previous regimes ineptitude, a guy that deserves and probably would have prospered greatly to play for an offensive minded coach is put to pasture; that is nothing short of a freaking WASTE. No offense to you, or your opinion. It's just mine, but I don't believe I'm alone in the opinion.

hot pickle
09-03-2006, 01:50 AM
is his injury the same as curtis Martin's or is it different

texan279
09-03-2006, 09:14 AM
He may have said that. But when you are the one carrying 62% of the offense when the previous regime fails to put enough talent around you, my statement more than stands as resonable.

Because of the previous regimes ineptitude, a guy that deserves and probably would have prospered greatly to play for an offensive minded coach is put to pasture; that is nothing short of a freaking WASTE. No offense to you, or your opinion. It's just mine, but I don't believe I'm alone in the opinion.

Did you mean Davis carried 62% of the rushing game? Or total offense? Are you going by yardage? Touches? Last season only or last 3 seasons?

Samer
09-03-2006, 09:18 AM
I feel bad...I always liked Davis...and will always like him...great player..loads of talent...and would have gotten better...was nice having him on the team

Mykol
09-03-2006, 02:23 PM
The first string RB for the Houston Texans. Not getting Reggie Bush was a great idea.

TexansLucky13
09-03-2006, 02:25 PM
I will miss DD.

Mykol
09-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Sorry i didn't see this thread when starting mine.

HeartofHouston
09-03-2006, 07:01 PM
I wish him the best in luck whatever goes on with him. He did a heck of a job for us despite the fact that we didnt have the best O-Line and often played from behind causing us to do a lot of passing.