PDA

View Full Version : Reggie lights it up again

tulexan
08-31-2006, 09:30 PM
4 carries for 14 yards
1 catch for -5 yards

Farough
08-31-2006, 09:35 PM
Why don't people give it up, it's only preseason.. It doesn't count for anything. I'm happy with our pick of Mario but I'm not going to bash the experts because we passed on Bush when he doesn't hjave good stats. Why does a new thread about how bad of a pre season game he had every week.

Farough
08-31-2006, 09:36 PM
BUT.. I do thank you for putting it in the right forum.

tulexan
08-31-2006, 09:39 PM
Are we going to have 3 backs who ended up with more yards than Reggie during the preseason?

Dime
08-31-2006, 09:40 PM
Funny thing is.. Last week had a fumble that was lost.. and I never heard another word about in his 6 yard run highlights of last week.

tulexan
08-31-2006, 09:42 PM
Funny thing is.. Last week had a fumble that was lost.. and I never heard another word about in his 6 yard run highlights of last week.

That is because he either "spiced things up" with a 6 yard run or he "juked and danced" for 6 yards. It is hard to make "fumbled the ball" sound good.

Farough
08-31-2006, 09:43 PM
Are we going to have 3 backs who ended up with more yards than Reggie during the preseason?

Yes, but it doesn't matter at this point. If they have more yards during the season than he does then it will matter... You do know preseason doesn't count right? That's why its PRE season.

Dime
08-31-2006, 09:52 PM
Yes, but it doesn't matter at this point. If they have more yards during the season than he does then it will matter... You do know preseason doesn't count right? That's why its PRE season.

Dude... you dont know that... AND Pre-season gives insight (is not, but gives insight) to how a player will preform in regular season. So far, For less then 1/2 of this years signing bonus (not including his salary), we have 4 capable backs..

HJam72
08-31-2006, 09:56 PM
Nobody fumbles like Reggie! Did you see that? It comes out so easy and fast! He only needed just a few yards in the whole game to cough one up. It takes most RBs at least 30 or 40 yds. to get to that point! What an amazing feat!!!

Reggie (drops) rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111 :bananasplit:

jerek
08-31-2006, 09:57 PM
Reggie Bush is the man. Yes it's only preseason, but the truth is the guy doesn't care; he's a big gamer and is waiting to turn it on when it counts. He just isn't inspired to excellence against these second and third teamers he's been averaging 3.1 YPC against. Wait and see, Reggie is the man!!1

Dime
08-31-2006, 10:03 PM
Bush has not played a live down.. and your calling him the man. ROFL. He has potential...but he hasnt proven nothing to me at this level yet. And wont until he has 2 or 3 1000 yard rushers.

BTW LT is the man, Dom Davis is the man, Larry Johnson is the Man, heck, even OT is the man. Reggie is a boy rigt now.

Farough
08-31-2006, 10:04 PM
Well, I wouldn't go as far as Jerek's sarcasm does( I hope its sarcasm) but for rookies the preseason is used to adjust them to the NFL. It would probably help if he did have blocking, but I'm no expert. I still don't think that Reggie Bush is going to excel like experts have predicted, but it doesn't deserve the bashing and the constant starting of new thread about it, thats all I'm trying to say.

RiotCommander
08-31-2006, 10:06 PM
Whats going to be great is seeing how ESPN spin his play into a good performance. Every week they show the Titans runs.

Dime
08-31-2006, 10:07 PM
Personally, I think He has quite a bit of potential. I Dont think Bush should be bashed... But I am getting quite tired every game I hear about how we made a mistake on taking who we took.

Farough
08-31-2006, 10:10 PM
Personally, I think He has quite a bit of potential. I Dont think Bush should be bashed... But I am getting quite tired every game I hear about how we made a mistake on taking who we took.

Yeah, I hate that too but we can't exactly help that.. But the starting of new threads we can.

jerek
08-31-2006, 11:03 PM
Bush has not played a live down.. and your calling him the man. ROFL. He has potential...but he hasnt proven nothing to me at this level yet. And wont until he has 2 or 3 1000 yard rushers.

BTW LT is the man, Dom Davis is the man, Larry Johnson is the Man, heck, even OT is the man. Reggie is a boy rigt now.

Total sarcasm dude, I would have thought my post history and 2nd/3rd team comments would've demonstrate that, but if you haven't read it, that's fine.

Sure Bush would benefit from an O-line and a real offense. He's also dealing with the fact that he's no longer that much faster than everyone else, is going against defenders who take correct angles, and the understanding that to succeed in the NFL you have to be able to run between the tackles. I've never thought Reggie was the Next Best Thing in the NFL and I've thought he was overrated since ESPN first announced we had the first pick in the draft. IMO he will never be more than a pretty decent ex-collegiate standout.

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2006, 11:17 PM
For all the off-the-wall marketing that has gone into the Bush camp which has tried to elevate him even more by simultaneously tearing down the Mario pick, I think that seeing a once a week thread as a venting outlet for Texans fans is more than acceptable. Those not interested should just graciously refrain from participating. I haven't heard anyone call Bush a rapist or murderer........no real "bashing" has occured, just a lot of harsh reality comments based on factual performance. The day that Bush's performance is elevated to his hyped level (to which he himself has been heavily involved, i.e. self promotion), and Texans fans distort the facts and denegrate the man........then the accusations of "bashing" can be cast. Until then, the facts are speaking for themselves.

Hookem Horns
08-31-2006, 11:21 PM
No matter what. I am so glad the Texans didn't take Bush. Can anyone honestly say that he would do more for our team than Mario? After these few preseason games it has became obvious why we didn't take Bush. Late round backs seem to excel in this system and Mario is already making our defense much better.

Bottom line is I would rather have more W's than have kids across the nation wearing Texans jerseys because of an overhyped player.

powerfuldragon
08-31-2006, 11:50 PM
:dangit:

that smiley bout sums up what i feel when i see new reggie bush threads. we probably have more posts about him than the saints mb.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
09-01-2006, 12:55 AM
I don't understand why you guys make such a big-deal out of a rookie's pre-season? What do you expect from the guy? 100 yard games? You don't see other fans bringing up the fact that Mario Williams hasn't exactly had a "gaudy" pre-season either. Guys like LaDanian Tomlinson, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, didn't do much more than Bush did during their rookie pre-seasons.

And no ones mentioned he's playing behind a mix of second stringer offensive linemen.

TexansLucky13
09-01-2006, 01:00 AM
And no ones mentioned he's playing behind a mix of second stringer offensive linemen.

You know what, you are absolutely right. Contribute the success that our RBs have had this preseason to our O-line.... which is gunna rock your world this season (well, one game for you guys).

infantrycak
09-01-2006, 01:07 AM
You don't see other fans bringing up the fact that Mario Williams hasn't exactly had a "gaudy" pre-season either.

Yeah, if you are blind you wouldn't see it around here or all over the press--dee, dee, dee.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
09-01-2006, 01:10 AM
Yeah, if you are blind you wouldn't see it around here or all over the press--dee, dee, dee.

I personally haven't seen any of you guys stressing over Mario's play at all. Which is a good thing.

Hervoyel
09-01-2006, 01:13 AM
Nobody fumbles like Reggie! Did you see that? It comes out so easy and fast! He only needed just a few yards in the whole game to cough one up. It takes most RBs at least 30 or 40 yds. to get to that point! What an amazing feat!!!

Reggie (drops) rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111 :bananasplit:

Reggie will revolutionize the act of fumbling. All other fumblers will become obsolete once Reggie hits the regular season. Mark it down now, nobody has ever fumbled like Reggie before. Guys who can fumble like that come around once every ten years... maybe.

;)

Please_Evolve
09-01-2006, 01:28 AM
then bashing.

I mean all i keep hearing constantly on ESPN and NFL live.... well look at what reggie did...and the texans will be kicking themselves this season for passing up the "most exciting playmaker in football to come in years".

I think Reggie will end up like Archie in NO and like Barry in Detroit. Good player but not enough talent surrounding him. They just left Donte Stallworth go after a breakout year... Not sure if they feel they have depth at receiver to afford that or what.... i digress on that franchise in total though....

I'll end on this..... Reggie will have maybe 5 good years in a 7-8 year career if he's lucky and even more so a sniff of the playoffs. Meanwhile Mario will progress this year and next as a DEFENSIVE END( god i get so tired of over analyzing him being at DT) and in the long run pay off as a member of a great rotating D-line here.

Did i mention playing for a organization commited to a championship team.

Hottoddie
09-01-2006, 02:09 AM
And let the excuses begin, as to why the greatest RB in the last gazillion years is sucking Louisiana swamp water. This is the same guy that was supposed to revolutionize the game. He could leap tall buildings with the greatest of ease & outrun/jump anything known to man. Or, at least that's what ESPN thinks. :rolleyes:

Reason's why Reggie Bush sucks!

Excuse #1: It's the offensive line's fault.

Excuse #2: ______________

Titan "Tack" Fan
09-01-2006, 02:57 AM
It's pretty lame that someone would start an entire thread on this. Some of you guys are obsessed with Reggie Bush and it's so obvious.

StukNDallas
09-01-2006, 03:01 AM
Was Reggie ready for the big game when he lateraled it like a moron in the Rose Bowl? He is too used to making the spectacular play and isn't content taking what is there. Don't get me wrong, he is going to be a successful running back at some point (I think), but it is way too early to expect greatness from him.

Go Mario!
:mario:

HJam72
09-01-2006, 03:11 AM
It's pretty lame that someone would start an entire thread on this. Some of you guys are obsessed with Reggie Bush and it's so obvious.

Well, at least he has done some better than that Vince Young guy. :rolleyes:

Ckw
09-01-2006, 03:31 AM
Believe me, I was in the Reggie Bush camp hardcore. I loved the guy. Followed him all throughout college and was pumped when we clinched the Reggie Bush sweepstakes. And words cannot express how irritated I was when we passed on Reggie Bush. I mean, my MySpace page was devoted to the guy, and we passed on him and boy was I pissed. But then I started to do a little research on the Kubiak system. I started learning about the one cut and go routine. I started learning a little about the zone blocking scheme. And the fact is, a Reggie Bush just does not fit the Kubiak style, the same style that led Denver's Terrell Davis, a 6th Round Draft Pick, to stardom. I have nothing against Reggie. What I cannot stand is the constant bashing the Texans receive. You think what we are doing on here is bad? Have you listened to SportsCenter? I mean, try having to listen to someone bash your first round draft pick almost everytime you turn on ESPN. It drives me crazy. So yes, it does make me a little happy to see Reggie not live up to the hype. The day ESPN and the rest of the sporting world quit bashing Houston for passing up the "next Gale Sayers" is the day I quit bashing Reggie Bush. Until then, let the bashing continue. And man, that sure was a pretty fumble....

tulexan
09-01-2006, 07:51 AM
Reggie will revolutionize the act of fumbling. All other fumblers will become obsolete once Reggie hits the regular season. Mark it down now, nobody has ever fumbled like Reggie before. Guys who can fumble like that come around once every ten years... maybe.

;)

Reggie is so elusive that he even lost the ball.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
09-01-2006, 07:59 AM
You mean the ball lost him. lol

thunderkyss
09-01-2006, 09:04 AM
And the fact is, a Reggie Bush just does not fit the Kubiak style, ....

I seriously doubt it would be a problem for Reggie to run behind our line. From what I was told before the draft, USC used some Zone Blocking. & if we can open the holes for Reggie that we've opened for joeBlow, Reggie would kill.......... so they say. If our OLine does their job, and get Reggie into the secondary, or seal off the outside corner......

Because that is what we are going to do for Wali, Antowain, Vernand........ whoever is tote'n the rock for us. & that's what ESPN is going to say. It don't matter if Reggie ends the season with negative yards, and a busted leg. The Texans still wouldn't have made the right move, because of what could've been.

However IMO, our offseason vs the Saints..... as of now, after what we've seen in the PreSeason........ The Houston Texans are better at putting together a football team.

Last year, we weren't competitive on either side of the ball. Going into the regular season, it is my opinion that we will be. The Saints..... looked to me, that the Katrina thing & the distractions it brought kept them from focusing on football. Talent wise, I've always thought they were amoung the most talented NFL teams. Now..... they have questions about their QBs health(which was never a problem with AB), and his ability to get the team going. They can't get their running game going, and defensively, they've desperately brought in some fair to middle linebackers, they can't stop the pass, they can't stop the run....

real
09-01-2006, 09:07 AM

dito.

Honoring Earl 34
09-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Reggie plays in a conference with Tampa , Carolina , and the Falcons . If Reggie ends up great he will have earned it ... but he can only juke so much then he better head north these defenses are tough .

Honoring Earl 34
09-01-2006, 10:34 AM
you're right.. come here and listen to all the insecure Texans fans worring about other players they should have taken in the draft... always a good laugh!!!
I'll bet the Saints draft before the Texans next year . If Peterson's there , are ya'll going to take him to .

jdog
09-01-2006, 10:40 AM

;)

Reggie will be the focus of Nike's new ad campaign..."Just drop it."

Honoring Earl 34
09-01-2006, 10:50 AM
you're right.. come here and listen to all the insecure Texans fans worring about other players they should have taken in the draft... always a good laugh!!!
Any out of towners cannot understand the crap we've heard since April for not taking Bush . If Bush flops it will discredit these blowhards and maybe next time ( 07 Titans ) they will not be so critical of the 1st overall pick .

Hervoyel
09-01-2006, 11:20 AM
you're right.. come here and listen to all the insecure Texans fans worring(sic) about other players they should have taken in the draft... always a good laugh!!!

Most of what I'm seeing in here is fans making fun of the ridiculous amount of hyperbole surrounding Reggie Bush. People on football boards all over the net recognize how over the top some of this attention is (and has been). We're making fun of the hype and not necessarily Reggie Bush himself. Of course just because we passed on him that means we're jealous or worrying about him and not just enjoying the joke that the marketing of Reggie Bush has become like everyone else outside of New Orleans.

I also don't see anyone looking insecure here except for maybe Saints fans who have to keep coming back and reassuring themselves that they got the player that Texans fans supposedly all wish their team had picked.

Seriously man, FEMA called and they're going to stop subsidizing you Saints fans message board accounts here. It's time you guys went back home.

infantrycak
09-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Most of what I'm seeing in here is fans making fun of the ridiculous amount of hyperbole surrounding Reggie Bush.

Exactly--Reggie Bush is the RB of the decade, century, etc. Of course the day after the draft the pundits were debating whether Adrian Peterson is better than Reggie Bush. Decades sure have gotten short.

real
09-01-2006, 11:29 AM
Exactly--Reggie Bush is the RB of the decade, century, etc. Of course the day after the draft the pundits were debating whether Adrian Peterson is better than Reggie Bush. Decades sure have gotten short.

Ha.

Mr. White
09-01-2006, 12:05 PM
Most of what I'm seeing in here is fans making fun of the ridiculous amount of hyperbole surrounding Reggie Bush. People on football boards all over the net recognize how over the top some of this attention is (and has been). We're making fun of the hype and not necessarily Reggie Bush himself.

I also don't see anyone looking insecure here except for maybe Saints fans who have to keep coming back and reassuring themselves that they got the player that Texans fans supposedly all wish their team had picked.

Seriously man, FEMA called and they're going to stop subsidizing you Saints fans message board accounts here. It's time you guys went back home.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Hervoyel again.

The hype...not the guy....couldn't have said it better.

CloakNNNdagger
09-01-2006, 12:11 PM
The whole pathetic story (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/15412385.htm)

Bush waiting to make impact
Saints rookie shows he can take big hits, while team looks for ways to use his talents.

It’s side bars like this that causes one to have to comment. He takes one hit by a safety in the game, and it’s big news that he got up OK. Isn’t that what even the most average RB is expected to do??? That “shows that he can take big hits”???? Give me a break.

TexanFanInCC
09-01-2006, 03:20 PM
4 carries for 14 yards
1 catch for -5 yards

ya know, when u get 4 carries, its hard to keep a rythm. most guys get stronger with more and more carries because they get a rythm going with where the best blocking is taking place.

Dime
09-01-2006, 03:48 PM
I'll take that Bet... what you want to put on it?? PM me.

Dude.. dont do it.. Brees wasnt looking to hot in the pre-season.

Vambo, the Marble Eye
09-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Reggie Bush is the man. Yes it's only preseason, but the truth is the guy doesn't care; he's a big gamer and is waiting to turn it on when it counts. He just isn't inspired to excellence against these second and third teamers he's been averaging 3.1 YPC against. Wait and see, Reggie is the man!!1

Yeah.... that is why Reggie wasn't even on the field when So Cal was against the wall in the 05 championship!

So far all Reggie has proved is that he isn't anything but overpaid and as flakey as California tofu hype... especially until he proves he is something special in the NFL!

I DO AGREE... the truth is Reggie doesn't care because he has guarnteed money in the bank and in the end really doesn't have to face reality... yet. Then he is going to have to want it and bleed desire if he ever does anything in the NFL.

RiotCommander
09-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Dude.. dont do it.. Brees wasnt looking to hot in the pre-season.

Yeah, and they lost a WR to trade. Their O-line is blocking like ours last year. I wouldn't take a bet on the Saints unless it was against them.

:cowboy1:

Vambo, the Marble Eye
09-01-2006, 04:41 PM
...What I cannot stand is the constant bashing the Texans receive. You think what we are doing on here is bad? Have you listened to SportsCenter? I mean, try having to listen to someone bash your first round draft pick almost everytime you turn on ESPN. It drives me crazy. So yes, it does make me a little happy to see Reggie not live up to the hype. The day ESPN and the rest of the sporting world quit bashing Houston for passing up the "next Gale Sayers" is the day I quit bashing Reggie Bush. Until then, let the bashing continue. And man, that sure was a pretty fumble....

I am cured! Somebody that hates ESPN's analysis more than I do... But you left out WHY ESPN HAS TO BASH THE TEXANS. Simply said, ESPN wants you to watch their show because it is nothing but a collection of visual "high lights".... not a show about teams that win!

Reggie Bush through individual accomplishment has the best chance to be a sensation... ESPN wins. Ta Da! ESPN is not interesting in thinking about winning games...just ratings.

TexansLucky13
09-01-2006, 04:44 PM
I dont blame RB for having a crappy preseason.... he is on a crappy team. But I do blame him for his mistakes. That fumble should not have happened. He needs to learn how to hold that ball. Three points of contact, all that jazz.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
09-01-2006, 06:13 PM

lol, same with the 6 Terrell Owens threads from the past couple of weeks.. No other boards obsesses over others than the Texan's. Flame me all you want, but I'm getting tired of seeing a Reggie Bush thread after everyone of his games, talking of how "poorly" the guy played.

GuerillaBlack
09-01-2006, 07:06 PM
lol, same with the 6 Terrell Owens threads from the past couple of weeks.. No other boards obsesses over others than the Texan's. Flame me all you want, but I'm getting tired of seeing a Reggie Bush thread after everyone of his games, talking of how "poorly" the guy played.

What?? Those are mainly news stories about T.O. Maybe we shouldn't have a National Football Team section.

:rolleyes:

run-david-run
09-01-2006, 09:09 PM
Its not that we are obssesed, more just frustrated with the crap we took from evey media source for months for not taking Reggie. We now finnally have something palpable to credit our decison to pass on Reggie and by God we arnt gonna let it go, much like ESPN wont stop blowing Reggie after evey 4+ yard run.

GuerillaBlack
09-01-2006, 11:10 PM
"We now finnally have something palpable to credit our decison to pass on Reggie" Who???? D Ryans.? W. Lundy.?

Yep...:cowboy1:

GuerillaBlack
09-01-2006, 11:34 PM
That's what I thought also.. but then i remembered you took Mario.. but I forgot about him.. Where has he been?:redtowel:

Making tackles and making our whole D-Line better. What has Reggie been doing? Fumbling you say!! Atleast he did it with class.

:redtowel:

clandestin
09-02-2006, 12:00 AM
That is because he either "spiced things up" with a 6 yard run or he "juked and danced" for 6 yards. It is hard to make "fumbled the ball" sound good.

I'll take an espn-esque crack at it:

ESPN NEWS: REGGIE'S MOVES ARE SO SICK THE BALL CAN'T EVEN HANG

The NFL league office has asked Nike to evaluate new revolutionary materials for constructing footballs. This move has come after a football was apparently not able to "hang" with the sick juking moves of Reggie Bush. Referees at the time mistakenly refered to this as a "fumble", though we here at ESPN clearly saw an 'equipment failure' occur.

BigTimeTexanFan
09-02-2006, 12:05 AM
Who knows at this point who the better player will be. The fact is the Texans are getting bashed for not taking Reggie Bush because he was (according to the so called experts) the BPA in the draft. Frankly, drafting BPA in the first round went out the window when the salary cap was introduced. Teams simply cannot tie all of their money up on one side of the ball ala the Indianapolis Colts. People forget about the financial side. Look at all the money we have tied up on the offense right now with Carr, Johnson(whos contract will need to be extended shortly), Davis, not to mention some of the outrageous contracts of certain O-linemen. What teams like the Colts have taught us is that the cap must be spread out evenly over both sides of the ball in order to win. We simply could not neglect the defensive side of the ball. How much of our salary cap would have been tied up on the offensive side of the ball had we drafted Bush?

The Texans made significant changes on the offensive side of the ball this offseason with new players and an offensive minded coaching staff. That in of itself will boost the offensive production. What people seem to forget is that the Texans were worse on defense and that was WITH a defensive minded coach.

BigTimeTexanFan
09-02-2006, 12:09 AM
To me it all comes down to opportunity cost. Even if Bush lives up to his hype, is it worth paying 60+ M. compared to the production of a Wali Lundy or a Vernand Morency and their respective salaries? I cna't honestly say that it is. Example: Say Bush rushes for 1600 yards and Lundy rushes for 1100, is that extra 500 yards worth paying the money Bush would have recieved compared to what Lundy will make?

Hervoyel
09-02-2006, 12:10 AM
I'll take an espn-esque crack at it:

ESPN NEWS: REGGIE'S MOVES ARE SO SICK THE BALL CAN'T EVEN HANG

The NFL league office has asked Nike to evaluate new revolutionary materials for constructing footballs. This move has come after a football was apparently not able to "hang" with the sick juking moves of Reggie Bush. Referees at the time mistakenly refered to this as a "fumble", though we here at ESPN clearly saw an 'equipment failure' occur.

Excellent post. I can see the NFL now being forced to re-allow stickum in order to prevent more of these equipment failures in games that involve Reggie Bush and his mind boggling moves. Ordinary stickum won't work though. They'll have to come up with a new "Reggie-Proof" forumla based on Liquid Nails.

Receivers still can't use it but starting with the 2007 season running backs who posses a "Reggie-Class Juke-Coefficient" can apply to the league for a stickum waiver.

The NFL doesn't expect to issue more than one waiver (to Reggie of course) but they have to allow anyone who moves like that to also get a waiver to be fair.

Yeah right, as if anyone could move like Reggie!

thunderkyss
09-02-2006, 12:17 AM
Its not that we are obssesed, more just frustrated with the crap we took from evey media source for months for not taking Reggie. We now finnally have something palpable to credit our decison to pass on Reggie and by God we arnt gonna let it go, much like ESPN wont stop blowing Reggie after evey 4+ yard run.

"We now finnally have something palpable to credit our decison to pass on Reggie" Who???? D Ryans.? W. Lundy.?

No........ the something palpable, is that Reggie so far, has not looked like God..... as a matter of fact, people have said, that Reggie won't be able to do in the NFL what he did against FresnoState...... and to date...... he hasn't.

I know...... & you know, Reggie's going to break one off every now & again. maybe more often than that. & these guys won't be able to say this or that......

it's their board you know..... just let them have their fun.

Señor Stan
09-02-2006, 12:17 AM
Excellent post. I can see the NFL now being forced to re-allow stickum in order to prevent more of these equipment failures in games that involve Reggie Bush and his mind boggling moves. Ordinary stickum won't work though. They'll have to come up with a new "Reggie-Proof" forumla based on Liquid Nails.

Receivers still can't use it but starting with the 2007 season running backs who posses a "Reggie-Class Juke-Coefficient" can apply to the league for a stickum waiver.

The NFL doesn't expect to issue more than one waiver (to Reggie of course) but they have to allow anyone who moves like that to also get a waiver to be fair.

Yeah right, as if anyone could move like Reggie!

BONUS...it will also keep him from attempting another lateral.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
09-02-2006, 12:28 AM
Lundi has been treated like the next great Hall-of-Fame running back, better than the likes of Reggie Bush. Hate to break it to you gentlemen-- Bush > Lundi.

swisher
09-02-2006, 12:29 AM
It's crap like this that makes me want to see Reggie Bush fail, not because of the person but because of everyone who assumes his greatness and thinks Mario is going to be a bust:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9632173

Top rookies

1. Reggie Bush, RB, New Orleans: C'mon, now, how can he not head this list? He has more talent than New Orleans has beignets and is the closest thing we've seen to Gale Sayers since ... well, Gale Sayers. The Saints defense could be dreadful, which means they'll play a lot of catch-up here. Bush is perfect for the part. He can return kicks. He can return punts. He can catch. He can run. In short, he makes things happen. And he scores from anywhere and everywhere on the field. Good. The Saints will need it.

2. Mario Williams, DE, Houston: The heat is officially on. The Texans thought he was a better fit than Bush, so it's up to Williams to prove they were right. He has had his moments in preseason, and, Lord knows, there's a crying need for pass rushers in Houston. Because people compare him to Julius Peppers, we at least have our measuring stick. In his rookie season, Peppers produced 12 sacks and won the league's Defensive Rookie of the Year Award. Your move, Mario.

Since the writer wants to compare Reggie Bush to Gale Sayers, then it would only be fair to say we have a measuring stick for him too, right?

In Sayers' rookie year he had a total of 2,272 yards (rushing, receiving, and returns) won ROY and scored 22 touchdowns. In a 14 game season. Your move, Reggie.

BigTimeTexanFan
09-02-2006, 12:31 AM
All I'm saying is that money needs to be spread evenly throughout. With so much money already tied up on the offensive side of the ball and a new offensive minded coach implementing a runningback friendly system, the need for another high paid offensive player doesn't make sense. Therefore, we drafted the best defensive player in the draft.

The risk in drafting a runningback #1 is just too great. They take more punishment than any other position, so if we can spend less money and still get comparable numbers then that sounds like a smart business move.

Hookem Horns
09-02-2006, 12:32 AM
looks like you're starting to know REGGIE will be better than LUNDY..?? Will paying Mario 60+ M be worth paying a 5th round pick A LOT LESS MONEY then one player that only has 3 less sacks than Mario?:shades:

No but paying Mario the money to make our entire defense better is worth the money. If you followed the Texans at all you would see the difference in the defensive play. That unit has made a complete 180 turn and Mario has a lot to do with that.

It's funny how the Texans have been bashed by the media for this draft. It is probably their best draft in their short history. We landed 3 definite and possibly 4 immediate starters in this draft.

Hervoyel
09-02-2006, 12:34 AM
Lundi has been treated like the next great Hall-of-Fame running back, better than the likes of Reggie Bush. Hate to break it to you gentlemen-- Bush > Lundi.

You're not breaking anything to anybody. Nobody in their right mind thinks that Wali Lundy is a better talent than Reggie Bush. Everyone here is impressed with what he's accomplished but even if he ends up with more yards and a better average than Reggie once the regular season is over I don't think it will have as much to do with talent as it will with opportunity and situation.

Most people are just making fun of the over-the-top hype. The rest fall into one of two camps. The few who really are bitter about the pick (and they exist, I'm not denying it) and trolls from other teams that don't have a board and who enjoy getting those bitter posters riled up.

Trolls from other teams.... now where would we find one of those?

BigTimeTexanFan
09-02-2006, 12:36 AM

I certainly hope Bush > Lundi, he was drafted in the 1st round. All I'm saying is that for a position that takes such a pounding game in and game out, it makes more sense to pay less money later in the draft if you are confident that you can still manage comparable numbers. Here is a great example: runninback Dominick Davis signs a contrat extension LAST year and is unable to play now. He may not ever be able to play at least at the level that he was playing.

mefool3030
09-02-2006, 03:54 AM
no u ******** douchebag

Jwwillis
09-02-2006, 04:04 AM
No but paying Mario the money to make our entire defense better is worth the money. If you followed the Texans at all you would see the difference in the defensive play. That unit has made a complete 360 turn and Mario has a lot to do with that.

It's funny how the Texans have been bashed by the media for this draft. It is probably their best draft in their short history. We landed 3 definite and possibly 4 immediate starters in this draft.

As it ends up all 7 of the drafted players made the team.

Jwwillis
09-02-2006, 04:26 AM
I follow the Texans and haven't seen anything in the REAL SEASON that mario has done. so i guess i will give it time. just like others need to give Reggie time.. Right!!!

RB's make immediate impacts and play 4-5yrs, DE's take longer but last longer. Kubiak has proven he doesnt need a big money RB in his system. Barry Sanders was one of the all time greats but couldnt take the Lions anywhere by himself. Earl Campbell almost put a team on his shoulders and went all the way but the Steelers decided not to let Earl beat em and left it to Pastorini/Renfro to make the plays. Didnt happen. Now Lundy has a 5.5 ypc ave. not because he has more talent than Bush but because he has more talent AROUND him and a better system than N.O. Man, if Earl or Barry had Denvers system in 79-80 he would have rushed for 3000 yards a season. Truly great backs can win the rushing title/Rookie of the Year/League MVP in their 1st year. Earl did it. Bush won't cause he can be arm tackled by 1 man. The Oilers went from the #2 pick in the draft (traded up for the #1 from N.O.)
To the AFC Championship in 2yrs. So no, Im not going to give reggie time. He shouldnt need it if he is "best back ever" to come out of college. If Barry/Earl/OJ/Dickerson didnt need time why should Bush? Can you imagine Earl holding out for money or petitioning to get the jersey number he wanted? The Oiler who had #20 offered to sell it to Earl for 20k and he said no way!
Bush will have character issues when the Aints start losing as usual. Anybody remember Archie Manning? The more things change the more they stay the same.

BigTimeTexanFan
09-02-2006, 08:05 AM
The fact of the matter is the Texans were not a horrible rushing team last year and with Kubiak at the helm it should only improve. We were, however, atrocious on defense last year in just about every category. Like I said, drafting BPA worked great pre-salary cap because you could always go out and buy whatever else you needed. It just doesn't work that way. Now you have to draft BPA in need positions. The Texans needed DEFENSE and got it in the first two rounds.

Vambo, the Marble Eye
09-02-2006, 08:35 AM
To me it all comes down to opportunity cost. Even if Bush lives up to his hype, is it worth paying 60+ M. compared to the production of a Wali Lundy or a Vernand Morency and their respective salaries? I cna't honestly say that it is. Example: Say Bush rushes for 1600 yards and Lundy rushes for 1100, is that extra 500 yards worth paying the money Bush would have recieved compared to what Lundy will make?

yes and no.

Yes... because the NFL and ESPN will help make every move by Bush to build market share and sell tickets with their respective "hype machines". The NFL will benefit and the team owner (Benson in N.O.) will sell more cars...

No... if the value is only calculated "$ per yard" ... and no again if you want to build a "team" instead of focusing on the hope of superstardom and individual accomplishment

Vambo, the Marble Eye
09-02-2006, 08:44 AM
I follow the Texans and haven't seen anything in the REAL SEASON that mario has done. so i guess i will give it time. just like others need to give Reggie time.. Right!!!

What??? Offense is proactive... (Run Forest, Run!) Besides with the BS hype surrounding Reggie he doesn't even need blockers... he can fly!

Defense is a team effort and reactive. They are playing Mario at multiple positions requiring complex reads... and the Houston Defense is better for it.

"REAL SEASON"?... vous etes foi, mon homme... You have a better back in Deuce than in Reggie... and it is tough to accept that Benson has blown his cash on a non-performer.

Honoring Earl 34
09-02-2006, 09:21 AM
looks like you're starting to know REGGIE will be better than LUNDY..?? Will paying Mario 60+ M be worth paying a 5th round pick A LOT LESS MONEY then one player that only has 3 less sacks than Mario?:shades:
We have Mario and the 6th rd pick who probably doubled Reggie's #s in the pre-season . Theres not a 6th rd DE who can get upfield from any position on the DL . He athletic enough as a DE and strong enough as a DT ... oh yeah all this while being double teamed .

Demarcus Ware showed me all the Reggie I need to see . Reggie jukes ... Ware grabs him , picks him up , slams him down . Reggie only weighed 202 for his workouts . It looks like he plays at about 190 . WR here we come .

GuerillaBlack
09-02-2006, 11:30 AM
No but paying Mario the money to make our entire defense better is worth the money. If you followed the Texans at all you would see the difference in the defensive play. That unit has made a complete 360 turn and Mario has a lot to do with that.

You been 180 degree turn. 360 would lead them to what they were last year.

thunderkyss
09-02-2006, 11:36 AM

& Stephen Jackson is better than Julius Jones...... for that matter, Marion Barber>Julius Jones........

But JJ has had the better career to date.

thunderkyss
09-02-2006, 11:40 AM
In Sayers' rookie year he had a total of 2,272 yards (rushing, receiving, and returns) won ROY and scored 22 touchdowns. In a 14 game season. Your move, Reggie.

could you make that your sig so we don't forget??

I'd do it, but I like mine........

Hookem Horns
09-02-2006, 04:38 PM
As it ends up all 7 of the drafted players made the team.

Actually 5 are starters so I underestimated our draft. So far it looks like Owens, Winston, Lundy, Williams, and Ryans will start on Sunday.

Brandon420tx
09-02-2006, 04:56 PM
At this point, with the Stallworth trade, NO might get its value out of RB by switching him to WR, that way he is already outside of the tackles when he gets the ball and he'll only have to worry about DB's and every once in a while a linebacker... and the occasional blindside hit... but other then that (As stated in someones sig during the draft) he'll be a great kick returner.

Vambo, the Marble Eye
09-03-2006, 09:30 AM
At this point, with the Stallworth trade, NO might get its value out of RB by switching him to WR, that way he is already outside of the tackles when he gets the ball and he'll only have to worry about DB's and every once in a while a linebacker... and the occasional blindside hit... but other then that (As stated in someones sig during the draft) he'll be a great kick returner.

Agreed he probably will be more effective outside the tackles and returning kickoffs, but then wouldn't he be clearly overvalued at 2nd Pick $$$ for an wide out/ Billy "Whiteshoes" Johnson type, right?

MrMeToo
09-03-2006, 11:12 AM

I agree.

Wolf
09-03-2006, 11:39 AM

congrats, I think you are the first to put the words "Hall of Fame" and Lundi in the same sentence. I don't recall Texan fans doing that.

however If it were up to the media, Reggie Bush would have kicked either Harry Carson,Raymond Wright or possibly even the great Troy aikman out of the 2006 Hall of Fame Induction. (White/Madden were locks).

Let me bring you down to earth on this one.

Only reason Texan fans make a stink about Lundi and Reggie is because we have been force fed Bush since the Fresno game and with each loss we endured, media (who doesn't like to be proved wrong) ,kept pounding the fack that Bush is Number 1 overall... and after we couldn't get a suitor to trade down (and rumors are N.O. couldn't either, Jets wouldn't bite on giving up their 2 #1's). , we picked Mario and all we have heard is Bush, Bush, Bush.. an frankly I don't dislike Bush as a person, but media is making me hope he fails in the NFL.

Me personally, I think Lundi and Ryans and Williams will have more of an impact than Lundi,Ryans and Bush if we picked that way (yes I know if we picked Bush we probably wouldn't have Lundi in the later rounds, but too many variables)

Dr. Toro
09-03-2006, 01:03 PM
Mario was the "need" pick, he made the most sense based on undeniable needs and he's a heck of a talent too... and I thought and still think Bush is/was greatly overrated.*

This sounds crazy... but I pretty much guarantee some guy nobody has ever heard of will run for 1500+ yards in steel blue sometime between 2006-2008. Maybe Bush could have run for 2000+ yards in this offense, maybe he can't handle more than 20 touches per game. I don't really care because I'm happy with the draft and have no concerns for the running game.

I think the Sycuan stuff helped the Texans dodge a bullet and not have to commit even more money to a RB. Overpay top notch QBs, WRs, and DEs all you want, but be wary of long term deals with RBs... ehem.

*I wanted VY and thought Carr stunk.

bigtex77
09-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Bottom line - Mario may have struggled at times, but so has Reggie. My favorite part of this arguement is that Mario was on a team that was 3-1 in the preseason, oh wait that doesn't mean anything (but if the Saints went 3-1, it would). OK then, Mario is on a team that will finish with at least two, maybe three more wins than Reggie's Saints during the regular season, to me thats what really matters.

LikeABoss
09-03-2006, 01:37 PM
Bottom line - Mario is on a team that will finish with at least two, maybe three more wins than Reggie's Saints during the regular season.

Tell us who won the super bowl while you're at it.

*sarcasm*

bigtex77
09-03-2006, 01:44 PM

*sarcasm*

Simply stating my opinion. :cowboy1:

powerfuldragon
09-03-2006, 01:52 PM

*sarcasm*
not the saints... ;)

I know reggies good. i look forward to seeing his highlights on espn. when he broke that 44 yard run against the titans, i felt a little jealous. but who cares. move on.

Wolf
09-06-2006, 05:12 PM
As I posted in another thread..

Get ready for the storm
N.O. plays Cleveland in week 1 and Green bay in week 2

He should be able to have a highlight or two

jerek
09-06-2006, 05:17 PM

Get ready for the storm

Wtf ... that's what I'm talkin about. The Saints open against GB and Cleveland. We get Philly and Indy ... that's foolishness, man.

mexican_texan
09-06-2006, 05:24 PM

Get ready for the storm

Abdul Hodge, AJ Hawk, Nick Barnett, Andra Davis, Willie McGinnest, and Kamerion Wimbley. :yikes:
I must agree.

Wolf
09-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Wtf ... that's what I'm talkin about. The Saints open against GB and Cleveland. We get Philly and Indy ... that's foolishness, man.

true,I don't make excuses for our schedule, that is the nature of the beast, but media is going to run (no pun intended) with Bush stories.

I am hoping Duece runs wild (if anyone on that team)