PDA

View Full Version : Cuts to 53 man roster

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
08-31-2006, 11:35 AM
Any thoughts who will make a last impression on Kubiak for the final cut down to 53 for tonights game?

Brandon420tx
08-31-2006, 11:56 AM
Derrick Lewis will either make 4th WR or 5th behind Anderson.

This game will decide our Fullback.

McKinney?

Will we get to see Quinton Porter again?

9th DL slot.

add more as I think of it.

66cobra
08-31-2006, 12:01 PM
I would like to see more of who is fighting for the backup LB spots and yes, I think we will see some more of Quinton Porter as well as Cody Pickett.

Can't think of anything else...

El Tejano
08-31-2006, 12:17 PM
I want to see Orr and Anderson tonight, along with Derrick Lewis vs other receivers and even Antwion Smith and Chris Taylor.

rafterticket
08-31-2006, 12:30 PM
Any thoughts who will make a last impression on Kubiak for the final cut down to 53 for tonights game?

If you want to know who makes the team, and who gets cut, watch for the special teams standouts, and goats. Kubiak wants the bottom of the roster to contribute here.

Just ask Derrick Armstrong. Poor guy; I loved the way he could catch the ball.

Doug
08-31-2006, 12:41 PM
I'm anxious to see Chris Taylor give it another try.

real
08-31-2006, 12:42 PM
I want to see what Watson can do

afcman
08-31-2006, 12:46 PM
I wonder if Carr will make it? (HA HA!! Couldn't help myself. :redtowel: )

tburdette
08-31-2006, 12:52 PM
Now that Demeco Ryans has solidified himself as MLB should we cut Cowart or keep him on as a veteran presence to help teach our younger LB? If we cut him though what kind of cap penalty would we take if it is too big then there is no way we need to get rid of him that bad.

infantrycak
08-31-2006, 12:57 PM
Now that Demeco Ryans has solidified himself as MLB should we cut Cowart or keep him on as a veteran presence to help teach our younger LB? If we cut him though what kind of cap penalty would we take if it is too big then there is no way we need to get rid of him that bad.

Cowart signed a two year deal with a little over a mil in signing bonus. His cap hit if he starts the season on the roster is $1.2 mil. If he is released the signing bonus will be the hit so actually a savings of about $200k but with a mil of dead space.

Doug
08-31-2006, 01:04 PM
I'm anxious to see Chris Taylor give it another try.
See, that Denver game already has me spoiled thinking I'll actually get to see the game tonight. Back to Gamecenter!

Texans Horror
08-31-2006, 01:27 PM
I'd like to see who's playing LT tonight.

Blake
08-31-2006, 01:37 PM
I want to see Orr and Anderson tonight.

Why do you want to see Orr? Isnt he slated as a starter?

K.D.
08-31-2006, 01:39 PM
I want to see Cochran. I think this guy is a diamond in the ruff, he seems to have a high motor and pretty good instincts. He should stand out tonight with all the PT he is going to get. I'm also interested in seeing Troy Evans for an extended time, I know he's going to make the team, but I want to see him playing major minutes and see what he can do aside from being a great special teamer.

GP
08-31-2006, 01:40 PM
Probabaly the most meaningless game (for us as fans) of all tonight.

I would say that Kubiak and Co. have pretty much already made their list of 53 by now, and now they've highlighted a few guys who are "on the bubble" to watch closely and see what they do.

I would expect that there's very little wiggle room. Somebody would have to turn in a very spectacular performance tonight in order to change their minds at this stage. I really think it's almost a done deal in terms of who's staying and who's not. Plus, you never know who might get hurt tonight, bumping a guy up the list (IF said player performs well).

Heck. I'd like to see absolutely zero of our starters play a single snap tonight. Go get some guys off the street to play tonight if we need depth for this game. When was the last time we had almost ZERO significant starters get hurt in the preseason? Seems like we almost always had a 1/2 dozen or so of our good players go down with freakish injuries during the preseason.

Of course, I'd be prone to get hurt, as well, if I were playing for Doomed Capers' team. That hamstring would get tweaked very often. :hides:

HOU-TEX
08-31-2006, 01:44 PM
All I know is, if Sage has a good game tonight I can guarantee there'll be a thread tomorrow calling for he to be the starter. It'd be nice if he sat out the game too just to ensure that won't happen.:tease: :hides:

GP
08-31-2006, 03:18 PM
All I know is, if Sage has a good game tonight I can guarantee there'll be a thread tomorrow calling for he to be the starter. It'd be nice if he sat out the game too just to ensure that won't happen.:tease: :hides:

Will it be Porter and Pickett exclusively tonight?

tburdette
08-31-2006, 03:21 PM
I saw that Sloan Thomas got picked up. That's good for him I always want to see former Texan do well.

kingh99
08-31-2006, 03:23 PM
Benny's gonna make it, right? The second string (3rd?) FB in the second half of the last game looked pretty smooth catching the ball. Who was that guy??

HOU-TEX
08-31-2006, 03:24 PM
Will it be Porter and Pickett exclusively tonight?

I would think the both of them will get an ample amout of PT. I don't even know who Pickett is, much less seen him play. Sage might play a few series at the most I would think. We'll see and hopefully we'll still get the "W".:bananasplit:

Brandon420tx
08-31-2006, 03:24 PM
Benny's gonna make it, right? The second string (3rd?) FB in the second half of the last game looked pretty smooth catching the ball. Who was that guy??

Jessica Simpsons ex ... I believe...

rockabilly
08-31-2006, 03:25 PM
On ESPN this morning, they said that Kub plans on playing Mario this game.

South Texan
08-31-2006, 03:28 PM
I would love to see Joppru get 2 TD's, Davis play for a series and pick up 50 yards, Mario play 1 play at FB to punch one into the endzone...

Wait, Only thing I get to watch tonight is GameCenter.:crying:

Texanfan4ever
08-31-2006, 04:10 PM

No kidding. I'm going to try not to even read those tomorrow so as not to give credence to whomever might start that. :brickwall

Texanfan4ever
08-31-2006, 04:12 PM
Gotta head off to the game here shortly! Go Texans!!! No matter how boring it might be tonight.

HOU-TEX
08-31-2006, 04:18 PM
Gotta head off to the game here shortly! Go Texans!!! No matter how boring it might be tonight.

I don't see it as possibly being boring. I'm going to try and evaluate as much as I can. Just to see if I agree with the next cuts that are made. Not that it would matter, just for fun.:cool:

HJam72
08-31-2006, 05:58 PM

That's an unfair advantage. What 2nd stringer is going to stop him (consistantly)? He does need the practice and experience though.

tburdette
09-01-2006, 12:42 AM
Since we need some help at S I think we should keep our eye on an undrafted rookie from West Virginia named Mike Lorello. He is currently on the Steelers roster and I dont know if he is going to make the cut or not but if he doesnt we should be all over him. He is a hard hitter who was a stud in college. He played bandit safety and showed up when we need him. PLus I am sure he would come cheap and could sit for awhile and learn the system. I would LOVE to get this guy!!!!!!!1

real
09-01-2006, 08:37 AM

Tells you how accurate ESPN is....

real
09-01-2006, 08:38 AM
I think we go with 5 recievers...AJ, Moulds, Walters, Lewis, Anderson...those are my five...lets roll

Malloy
09-01-2006, 12:03 PM
When today can we expect to be presented with the "final" roster?

titan hater
09-01-2006, 12:20 PM
I think we go with 5 recievers...AJ, Moulds, Walters, Lewis, Anderson...those are my five...lets roll

you arew correct sir!! that's my 5 as well....

run-david-run
09-01-2006, 12:26 PM
Ya really think AJ is gonna make it?

cuppacoffee
09-01-2006, 12:39 PM
FB Nick Luchey is making it hard on Kubiak to cut him. Then again it was against 2 and 3s.

Wasn't this guy released earlier and then resigned?

I think that several of our cuts will get looks elsewhere.

:coffee:

Dime
09-01-2006, 03:01 PM
See any new Texans here?

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/CHI/9632165

Bears trim roster by 11

NFL.com wire reports

LAKE FOREST, Ill. (Sept. 1, 2006) -- The Chicago Bears terminated the contract of veteran offensive lineman Steve Edwards and waived injured linebacker Jeremy Cain, cutting a total of 11 players.

That trimmed the roster to 63.

The Bears also waived wide receiver Craig Bragg, defensive back Dion Byrum, defensive tackle Delbert Cowesette, defensive back Abraham Elimimian, running back Andre Hall, defensive back Jason Harmon, defensive back Carlos Hendricks, guard Travis Leffew and wide receiver Mark Philmore.

The Bears must cut 10 more players before Sept. 2 to get to 53 by the opening game.

Battle Red Flash
09-01-2006, 03:03 PM
610AM just came out with a list, so it's out there. All I heard was Luchey, FB, was cut. Anybody have the list?

Texans Horror
09-01-2006, 03:06 PM
Only Carr and Rosenfells then? Wow. Cowart and Antoine gone. I'm not shocked, but I'm thinking about how much the talent has improved that we are releasing these players.

O.G.
09-01-2006, 03:06 PM
The Houston Texans have released the following players:

Charleston, Jeff
DE
Idaho State

Cochran, Earl
DE
Alabama State

Cowart, Sam
LB
Florida State

Curtis, Kevin
DB
Texas Tech

Estelle, Mark
DB
Utah State

Halterman, Aaron
TE
Indiana

Loverne, David
OG
San Jose State

Luchey, Nick
FB
Miami (FL)

Pettway, Kenneth
DE
Grambling

Pickett, Cody
QB
Washington

Porter, Quinton
QB
Boston College

Ross, Richie
WR
Nebraska - Kearney

Schifino, Jake
WR
Akron

Smith, Antowain
RB
Houston

Walker, John
DB
Southern California

Watson, Courtney
LB
Notre Dame

Watton, Chris
OC
Baylor

Williams, Tramon
DB
Louisiana Tech

Wright, Darrell
DT
Oregon

Additionally, we are placing the following player on Reserve / Physically Unable to Perform:

Wong, Kailee LB Stanford

Wow, I thought Cochran and Luchey would make it. Smith as well. David Anderson made the squad as well. Every Texans' draft pick made the team if I'm correct.

Rightnow
09-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Nooooooooooooooo! I wanted to see Antowain Smith play here one year since used to watch him at UofH. I do understand the move as Taylor has so much speed.

But as he said:

Smith, for his part, insists he'll take the decision in stride, whichever way it goes.

"What's there for me to worry about?" he said. "I played nine years, won two Super Bowls, made lots of money. What more could I ask for? If my career (ended) today, I don't have nothing to be ashamed of."

Godspeed Antowain you did have a great career.

Double Barrel
I'm surprised we're releasing Smith. He looked pretty good last night to me.

Dime

Charleston, Jeff - Saw
DE
Idaho State

Cochran, Earl - Saw
DE
Alabama State

Cowart, Sam - Saw
LB
Florida State

Curtis, Kevin - Didnt see
DB
Texas Tech

Estelle, Mark - Saw
DB
Utah State

Halterman, Aaron - Saw
TE
Indiana

Loverne, David - Saw
OG
San Jose State

Luchey, Nick - Ack.. Saw but didnt like
FB
Miami (FL)

Pettway, Kenneth - Saw
DE
Grambling

Pickett, Cody - Saw
QB
Washington

Porter, Quinton - Didnt wanna see
QB
Boston College

Ross, Richie - Saw
WR
Nebraska - Kearney

Schifino, Jake - Sigh... Saw
WR
Akron

Smith, Antowain - Holy. Didnt See but happy with CT
RB
Houston

Walker, John - Huh... Didnt see
DB
Southern California

Watson, Courtney - Saw
LB
Notre Dame

Watton, Chris - Saw
OC
Baylor

Williams, Tramon - Saw
DB
Louisiana Tech

Wright, Darrell - Saw
DT
Oregon

Additionally, we are placing the following player on Reserve / Physically Unable to Perform:

Wong, Kailee LB Stanford

Wow.. But notice.. no news on DD

infantrycak
09-01-2006, 03:09 PM
610AM just came out with a list, so it's out there. All I heard was Luchey, FB, was cut. Anybody have the list?

Antowain Smith, Ken Pettway, Picket and Porter

V Man
09-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Glad to see Alfred Malone DT made it. I really like the way he plays. He seems to always be around the ball.

Hardcore Texan
09-01-2006, 03:11 PM
Carrying two QB's, I like the decision. Is this all of the names or are there more to come?

DocBar
09-01-2006, 03:11 PM

Charleston, Jeff
DE
Idaho State

Cochran, Earl
DE
Alabama State

Cowart, Sam
LB
Florida State

Curtis, Kevin
DB
Texas Tech

Estelle, Mark
DB
Utah State

Halterman, Aaron
TE
Indiana

Loverne, David
OG
San Jose State

Luchey, Nick
FB
Miami (FL)

Pettway, Kenneth
DE
Grambling

Pickett, Cody
QB
Washington

Porter, Quinton
QB
Boston College

Ross, Richie
WR
Nebraska - Kearney

Schifino, Jake
WR
Akron

Smith, Antowain
RB
Houston

Walker, John
DB
Southern California

Watson, Courtney
LB
Notre Dame

Watton, Chris
OC
Baylor

Williams, Tramon
DB
Louisiana Tech

Wright, Darrell
DT
Oregon

Wong, Kailee LB Stanford
I hope Schifino and Walker clear waivers for the practice squad. Suprised by a number of names on here. Glad Joppru made the grade. :cowboy1:

Hervoyel
09-01-2006, 03:12 PM
I would have put David Anderson on the practice squad and hung on to Antowain Smith for one year as insurance but otherwise I can't take much of an issue with this list. The Texans talent level has gone up considerably.

19-10
09-01-2006, 03:13 PM
Mario made the team? I thought he was having sort of a slow start :rolleyes:

Good luck to the others - sucks being out of a job - no matter what it is or who you are. Except cowturds of course - they can all get syphilus and rot

infantrycak
09-01-2006, 03:13 PM
FYI--there are 55 guys on the roster after this. Two more still to go.

Rightnow
09-01-2006, 03:15 PM
Except cowturds of course - they can all get syphilus and rot

How do you really feel? :monkey:

Marcus
09-01-2006, 03:15 PM
I wonder if Seth Wand is going to get cut.

Porky
09-01-2006, 03:16 PM
I agree with Herv, but the biggest surprise to me is Cowart. I know he has lost a step, but I thought he had a solid game last night, and other than the rookie Ryans, who is going to play MLB on this team? Wong would be a candidite, but they pup'ed him, so who am I missing?

V Man
09-01-2006, 03:17 PM

Is that counting Wong and Mathis who are on the PUP?

infantrycak
09-01-2006, 03:18 PM

Bedell is still on the roster--IMO he would go 1st. The 2nd spot may be DD going on IR.

Yes the 55 accounts for Wong and Mathis according to the guys on 610am.

ArlingtonTexan
09-01-2006, 03:19 PM
I agree with Herv, but the biggest surprise to me is Cowart. I know he has lost a step, but I thought he had a solid game last night, and other than the rookie Ryans, who is going to play MLB on this team? Wong would be a candidite, but they pup'ed him, so who am I missing?

Polk and Evans ???

Marcus
09-01-2006, 03:21 PM
Bedell is still on the roster--IMO he would go 1st. The 2nd spot may be DD going on IR.

Yes the 55 accounts for Wong and Mathis according to the guys on 610am.

Actually, I think Kubes cuts it down to around 45 or so . . I think he's got his eye on the waiver wire bigtime.

Porky
09-01-2006, 03:22 PM
Polk and Evans ???

Right Polk and Evans. Totally forgot those guys. Those two are ST beasts, and Cowart isn't. I think that was the deciding factor there. Thanks for the reminder.

Hardcore Texan
09-01-2006, 03:22 PM

But there could be more if the Texans find some talent in some of the other teams' cut players and decide to make room for them.. Are there any good LB's out there or DT's? When the right free agents come along, they will get a look.

TexanFan881
09-01-2006, 03:25 PM
My guess at the practice squad:

Cochran, Earl
Curtis, Kevin
Luchey, Nick
Pettway, Kenneth
Porter, Quinton
Ross, Richie
Walker, John
Williams, Tramon

I'm suprised to see Sam Cowart go. And I thought Shifino was doing nicely, but I guess that wasn't good enough to make the team. Glad to see the David Anderson and Chris Taylor both make the team. If DD can't play this year, we've got a very inexperienced and young but very talented trio behind him.

infantrycak
09-01-2006, 03:25 PM
Actually, I think Kubes cuts it down to around 45 or so . . I think he's got his eye on the waiver wire bigtime.

I doubt very much we pick up 8 guys off waivers and even more that they cut anyone except simultaneously with the waiver claim of a specific player.

infantrycak
09-01-2006, 03:27 PM
My guess at the practice squad:

Cochran, Earl
Curtis, Kevin
Luchey, Nick
Pettway, Kenneth
Porter, Quinton
Ross, Richie
Walker, John
Williams, Tramon

Luchey is not practice squad eligible--he has been in the league 8 years. Kevin Curtis isn't eligible either.

CloakNNNdagger
09-01-2006, 03:29 PM
I would have put David Anderson on the practice squad and hung on to Antowain Smith for one year as insurance but otherwise I can't take much of an issue with this list. The Texans talent level has gone up considerably.

Unless Kubs has another "workhorse" that he is sure will come in, I think that the release of Smith may come back to haunt. I would be surprised if Smith were not picked up on waivers, but I wonder if the Texans feel that he will clear, and may be available if the situation dictates his return after they have had a chance to "explore."

TexanFan881
09-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Luchey is not practice squad eligible--he has been in the league 8 years. Kevin Curtis isn't eligible either.

I wasn't sure about Luchey, and I just remembered about Curtis, since he was selected in the draft in '02.

I really thought that Curtis had a shot, I like him a lot and he showed in preseason that he can get the job done with his two picks.

Honoring Earl 34
09-01-2006, 03:31 PM
610 sports ( Marc ) thinks he's the guy .

Marcus
09-01-2006, 03:33 PM
I doubt very much we pick up 8 guys off waivers and even more that they cut anyone except simultaneously with the waiver claim of a specific player.

I know that it will be simultaneous with the waiver claim, but I know he wants more speed at linebacker, he's still not satisfied with the interior DL, he wants another running back, and possibly another quarterback. He's got first dibs, and I think there will be some interesting pickups.

RiotCommander
09-01-2006, 03:37 PM
Texans make roster moves
September 01, 2006
HoustonTexans.com

HOUSTON – The Houston Texans announce they have released the following players:

Jeff Charleston, defensive end
Earl Cochran, defensive end
Sam Cowart, linebacker
Kevin Curtis, free safety
Mark Estelle, cornerback
Aaron Halterman, tight end
David Loverne, guard
Nick Luchey, fullback
Kenneth Pettway, linebacker
Cody Pickett, quarterback
Quinton Porter, quarterback
Richie Ross, wide receiver
Jake Schifino, wide receiver
Antowain Smith, running back
John Walker, free safety
Courtney Watson, linebacker
Chris Watton, guard
Tramon Williams, cornerback
Darrell Wright, defensive end

The Texans currently have 55 players on the roster. The final roster cuts are due to the NFL on Saturday, Sept. 2, with a maximum of 53 players. Teams can establish a practice squad on Sunday, Sept. 3.

The Texans have moved the following player to the Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform list:

Kailee Wong, linebacker

66cobra
09-01-2006, 03:41 PM
Guess that puts an end to the QB backup question; I think Porter will be signed to practice squad since he is a rookie. I am surprised at Antowain Smith though; Taylor must have made an impact on the coaches.

HOU-TEX
09-01-2006, 03:45 PM
Who else do we have at the Mike depth wise? Am I having some brain flatulence here and missing someone? :crying:

Kaiser Toro
09-01-2006, 03:47 PM
Not surprised we kept two QB's. I had 4 WR's making it, but Anderson played himself in yesterday in my opinion. Cowart going would be my only surprise and a very mild one at that.

Tulip
09-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Dang. That stings a little.

I'm a little surprised to see that David Anderson is still hanging in there. I thought we'd only carry 4 receivers.

2 more to go. At least.

66cobra
09-01-2006, 03:49 PM
I heard that Kubiak likes Bradlee Van Pelt (QB) and would probably pick him up if Denver cuts him...

edo783
09-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Look for Ron Dayne to get a look by the Texans.

Runner
09-01-2006, 03:53 PM
610 sports ( Marc ) thinks he's the guy .

Of course, I don't think they've said a good thing about Wand in three years. IIRC, they were all for Riley last year.

Texian
09-01-2006, 03:54 PM
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

footballguy69
09-01-2006, 03:55 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2820&section=N%20Latest%20News

RiotCommander
09-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Not shocked at us just using 2 QBs I mean if David has shown anything at all its he can take a beating

gwallaia
09-01-2006, 03:59 PM
Dang. That stings a little.

I'm a little surprised to see that David Anderson is still hanging in there. I thought we'd only carry 4 receivers.

2 more to go. At least.

David Anderson will see alot of action on special teams. David Anderson reminds me a bit of Bill Bates.

Blake
09-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Sam Cowart is the most surprising. Hes costing us basically as much to cut, as to keep...

Runner
09-01-2006, 04:05 PM
Sam Cowart is the most surprising. Hes costing us basically as much to cut, as to keep...

It's not just the money, it's who can make the roster in his place too.

HOU-TEX
09-01-2006, 04:05 PM
What do ya'll think of CB Eric Warfield? He was released today. Too old?

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12796

LBC_Justin
09-01-2006, 04:07 PM
For the record.

I think it sucks that all of these topics have been merged into this one, a topic that was started a day ago and I had to dig several pages in to find the list of cuts.

At least edit the first post to have the cuts in it. Or let a topic be started that has all the cuts in the first post.

very very frustrating.

Runner
09-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Looks like Bennie is in for sure. I'm happy about that.

Bubble players are still on pins and needles since they have to make a couple more cuts - only one if Davis is IRd. Then a couple more when they make new acquisitions. It must be unsettling for these guys.

Divebomb
09-01-2006, 04:11 PM
So who is the #3 QB :hmmm: and who is going to play linebacker? Very interesting developments for the Texans.

TexanSam
09-01-2006, 04:11 PM
The 53 man roster when the final two cuts are made in the next two days doesn't mean those are the 53 we'll be keeping. I wouldn't be surprised to see more than 2 more players get cut so we can sign a few players who got cut by other teams.

The Dude Abides
09-01-2006, 04:17 PM
Does somebody have an updated depth chart right now?

LBC_Justin
09-01-2006, 04:19 PM
The 53 man roster when the final two cuts are made in the next two days doesn't mean those are the 53 we'll be keeping. I wouldn't be surprised to see more than 2 more players get cut so we can sign a few players who got cut by other teams.
I totally agree. I wouldn't be surprised if 3-5 guys who "make the final roster" get cut to make room for players picked up off other teams.

CloakNNNdagger
09-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Look for Ron Dayne to get a look by the Texans.

Dayne has had severe turf toe problems this whole preseason. The Texans need an intact tough "workhorse" fully functional RB NOW. We do not have the luxury of using a roster spot to nurse a player on the sidelines.............Beware, can you say Deion Sanders?.........Eddie George?

HomeBred_Texan
09-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Well rumors has it that a couple of number 1 draft picks from the Detroit Lions at the WR core are or my be cut this weekend....

And no, I can't say Dion or George...

GP
09-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Well rumors has it that a couple of number 1 draft picks from the Detroit Lions at the WR core are or my be cut this weekend....

I like what we have at WR. No thanks.

Master Po
09-01-2006, 04:58 PM
I like what we have at WR. No thanks.

Yeah, well, Charles Rogers would intrigue me more than just a little bit.

PapaL
09-01-2006, 04:59 PM
I would throw up if we signed Ron Dayne. Great college players, horrible pro.

HomeBred_Texan
09-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Him or Williams. But my guess is Philly would want to get there hands on them also....

HomeBred_Texan
09-01-2006, 05:11 PM
For the record.

I think it sucks that all of these topics have been merged into this one, a topic that was started a day ago and I had to dig several pages in to find the list of cuts.

At least edit the first post to have the cuts in it. Or let a topic be started that has all the cuts in the first post.

very very frustrating.
And yet they leave all of those different BS threads from the Eagle fans as different posts, go figure....

GP
09-01-2006, 05:11 PM

I just don't see what you see.

I see a guy who was on a good team, a popular team in that area, and I see someone who is more style than substance. Physically, I see a guy who is thin, hasn't been healthy from the very start.

I'm happy with AJ, Moulds, Walter, Anderson, Joppru, Putzier, Daniels, and Mathis when he returns. I'm pretty set.

ArlingtonTexan
09-01-2006, 05:15 PM
I
I'm happy with AJ, Moulds, Walter, Anderson, Joppru, Putzier, Daniels, and Mathis when he returns. I'm pretty set.

I wonder if they are figuring out whether to PUP Mathis or not among the decision left to make.

texasguy346
09-01-2006, 05:16 PM
Cowart's a bit of a surprise, but considering Ryans has earned the starting spot at MLB it seems like a good idea to let Cowart go. Also, as AT & Porky mentioned Evans & Polk can both play the middle, and they both are better on ST than Cowart. I wish the guys that got cut the best of luck & I hope they get picked up by another team.

TexanSam
09-01-2006, 05:16 PM
I just don't see what you see.

I see a guy who was on a good team, a popular team in that area, and I see someone who is more style than substance. Physically, I see a guy who is thin, hasn't been healthy from the very start.

Rogers would interest me also. He's obviously got some talent or he wouldn't have been the #2 pick in the draft a few years ago. I'd give him a tryout. Couldn't hurt. To be honest, I haven't seen anything for Walter that makes me go "Gee, I'm glad we signed that guy".

K.D.
09-01-2006, 05:17 PM
I would consider giving Rogers a looksie. I know he's had his trouble, but a change of scenery probably would help him out. He's not going to take anyone's spot, but for a 4th,5th reciever we actually might benefit from this. The guy has alot of football left in him, plus we can get him for real cheap.

devo-x
09-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Any speculation on QB #3? There's only Carr and Rosenfels now .....:hides:

Go Texans!

TexanSam
09-01-2006, 05:27 PM

Go Texans!

Somebody mentioned Bradlee Van Pelt if he's cut from the Broncos. The Broncos have gone with two QB's before though, so we may also.

CloakNNNdagger
09-01-2006, 05:28 PM

Go Texans!

Any QB #3 is going to relegated to PS.

HomeBred_Texan
09-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Rogers would interest me also. He's obviously got some talent or he wouldn't have been the #2 pick in the draft a few years ago. I'd give him a tryout. Couldn't hurt. To be honest, I haven't seen anything for Walter that makes me go "Gee, I'm glad we signed that guy".
He has 2 things against him is all I know. 1 is he has broken his collar bone twice and 2 he failed the league's substance abuse.

Wolf
09-01-2006, 05:32 PM
so what did cutting pickett do? we still keep our 7th rounder that we traded him for ala void the deal?

CloakNNNdagger
09-01-2006, 05:35 PM

Sorry for your speech impediment! (just kidding)

I'll repeat my thoughts on WR Rogers from another thread:

The Texans have 1st dibs on the waiver wire. However, in the case of Rogers, there are a lot of questions. Remember the big controversy of AJ vs Rogers in the draft. Well since then, Rogers has demonstated less than stellar work ethic. He has had 2 freak collar bone fractures in 2 seasons. But probably most important to the Texans evaluation may be the 4 game suspension last year for substance abuse. He's now nursing a "sore knee" which does not sound like a big thing, but has not been characterized. He may come cheap, and may have great potential. But if the Texans determine that he is "trouble in a bag," his fate is to be passed on.

HomeBred_Texan
09-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Sorry for your speech impediment! (just kidding)

LOL, no problem. My fingers were typing faster than my brain could think... When I read what I had typed, my first thought was, "huh?". But then someone had already quoted me so it wouldn't have done me any good to change it to read correctly...

Next time I will try and type s l o w l y so my brain can keep up...

infantrycak
09-01-2006, 05:39 PM
Dayne has had severe turf toe problems this whole preseason. The Texans need an intact tough "workhorse" fully functional RB NOW. We do not have the luxury of using a roster spot to nurse a player on the sidelines.............Beware, can you say Deion Sanders?.........Eddie George?

CnD--just an FYI--Lundy had 52 TD's in college and was known for having a nose for the endzone and short yardage situations. As we have seen from Wells vs. DD--bigger doesn't always mean better for finding the endzone. Two other examples which spring to mind are Emmitt Smith and Priest Holmes.

tburdette
09-01-2006, 05:40 PM
I would love to see us pick up either Lions cut Rogers or Williams. These guys are athletes and can stretch the field plus it never hurts to have a little depth. These guys have never really had a QB to get them the ball and with the Texans they have that chance. With Moulds, Johnson, and one of these guys we would have one of the best, if not the best receiving corps in the league.

infantrycak
09-01-2006, 05:44 PM
I would love to see us pick up either Lions cut Rogers or Williams. These guys are athletes and can stretch the field plus it never hurts to have a little depth. These guys have never really had a QB to get them the ball and with the Texans they have that chance. With Moulds, Johnson, and one of these guys we would have one of the best, if not the best receiving corps in the league.

Williams has such a bad work ethic he was fined over $400k last year for being overweight. He also has shown zero on the field since the 2003 college season.

nunusguy
09-01-2006, 05:47 PM
I would consider giving Rogers a looksie. I know he's had his trouble, but a change of scenery probably would help him out.
I suspect Rogers might be temping for a team like the Raiders, but most likely
not the Texans.
Then there's his sidekick Mike Williams, another Detroit Lion player who
because of the Trojan hype machine where he played his college ball had his value incredibly inflated.
Texans usually give these types a wide berth.

rmartin65
09-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Dang, Pettway got cut.

Roughnecks
09-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Just saw New England released LB Chad Brown. So what do you guys and gals think about picking him up could do go in our Defence. And before I am asked saw it on espn news ticker ,anyway your thoughts?

ArlingtonTexan
09-01-2006, 05:52 PM
so what did cutting pickett do? we still keep our 7th rounder that we traded him for ala void the deal?

Normally, it is some version of the player has to be on the 53 man squad for so many weeks during the season or some similiar condition. Cutting Pickett almost guarantees the trade is voided.

K.D.
09-01-2006, 05:56 PM
Just saw New England released LB Chad Brown. So what do you guys and gals think about picking him up could do go in our Defence. And before I am asked saw it on espn news ticker ,anyway your thoughts?

Pass, this guy been washed up ever since he left the Seahawks.

CloakNNNdagger
09-01-2006, 06:00 PM
CnD--just an FYI--Lundy had 52 TD's in college and was known for having a nose for the endzone and short yardage situations. As we have seen from Wells vs. DD--bigger doesn't always mean better for finding the endzone. Two other examples which spring to mind are Emmitt Smith and Priest Holmes.

Good point.......I've just not seen the Eddie George/Priest Holmes goal line pushes yet from Lundy.......maybe not enough opportunities. But we definitely do need ONE such RB since we have failed to convert on a number of short yardage downs.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
09-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Nevermind, it's already been posted.

Roughnecks
09-01-2006, 06:40 PM
What about Ron Dayne nfl.com reports that he will be cut tomorrow should we pick him up?

MojoMan
09-01-2006, 06:40 PM
The depth chart has been revised a bit, but I think it is still a work in progress as several players that have been cut are still shown. It is quite a bit leaner than it was though.

Depth Chart (http://www.houstontexans.com/team/depth_chart.php?section=TH%20Depth%20Chart)

Roughnecks
09-01-2006, 06:42 PM
Pass, this guy been washed up ever since he left the Seahawks.
My bad did not know he has been in the league 14yrs seems like it was not that long that he went to New England.

Roughnecks
09-01-2006, 06:45 PM
The depth chart has been revised a bit, but I think it is still a work in progress as several players that have been cut are still shown. It is quite a bit leaner than it was though.

Depth Chart (http://www.houstontexans.com/team/depth_chart.php?section=TH%20Depth%20Chart)
Lundy returning kicks is this true I hope not he could get winded early.

texflex513
09-01-2006, 06:46 PM
What about Ron Dayne nfl.com reports that he will be cut tomorrow should we pick him up? He had a really bad turf toe injury not sure if he is fully recovered.

MojoMan
09-01-2006, 06:48 PM
Dominick Davis is no longer shown on the depth chart at running back. He was on there yesterday.

titan hater
09-01-2006, 06:50 PM
I'm surprised we're releasing Smith. He looked pretty good last night to me.

Not to be someone trying to stir the pot, but...I thought he looked slow a foot, other then the one long one....

tburdette
09-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Wow Eric Winston at 3rd string RT???? I sure don't like how that looks. What is his deal? Is he just taking a while to learn the system or what.

tburdette
09-01-2006, 07:48 PM
And Travis Johnson starting on the inside with Weaver on the outside. That leaves Babin and Peek on the bench. A real surprise to me.

PapaL
09-01-2006, 07:49 PM
I wonder if they are figuring out whether to PUP Mathis or not among the decision left to make.

According to NFL.com, he was PUP'd on Monday/

http://nfl.com/transactions

TFL
09-01-2006, 08:20 PM
Wow Eric Winston at 3rd string RT???? I sure don't like how that looks. What is his deal? Is he just taking a while to learn the system or what.

He is a rookie offensive lineman you won't see many rookie offensive lineman play all that much although it does happen, and I don't know why he is on third team though.

also with him being on 3 team instead of 1st or 2nd does not worry me one bit.

ArlingtonTexan
09-01-2006, 08:24 PM
According to NFL.com, he was PUP'd on Monday/

http://nfl.com/transactions

Thanks I found the answer not too long after I posted

edo783
09-01-2006, 09:35 PM
Good point.......I've just not seen the Eddie George/Priest Holmes goal line pushes yet from Lundy.......maybe not enough opportunities. But we definitely do need ONE such RB since we have failed to convert on a number of short yardage downs.

I'm with CND on this. Tha's why I mentioned Dayne (forgot about his turff toe thing). I would seem to me that we need a short yardage banger type back to complement the ones we have.

Runner
09-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Bennie is shown as tight end and fullback.

Equally interesting is what changed on the depth chart and what didn't change.

GP
09-01-2006, 09:42 PM

Uhhh.......and he can't make the LIONS?

He can't beat out Bradford?

Again: I don't know what his value is, but I guess we're all entitled to our opinions.

Some guys can have their careers resurrected. Maybe Carr and Harrington are on their way to doing just that. And others (Rogers in this case, IMO) I don't think ever really had a shot in the first place.

vtech9
09-01-2006, 10:13 PM
Uhhh.......and he can't make the LIONS?

He can't beat out Bradford?

Again: I don't know what his value is, but I guess we're all entitled to our opinions.

Some guys can have their careers resurrected. Maybe Carr and Harrington are on their way to doing just that. And others (Rogers in this case, IMO) I don't think ever really had a shot in the first place.
I think that says it all right there....I'll pass

Bronco Texan
09-01-2006, 10:19 PM
We probably will only go with two QBs with a third signed to the practice squad. This is how Denver has been doing it for about 4 years now.

Insideop
09-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Did anyone else notice how many O-Linemen and D-Linemen we kept? I counted 11 O-Linemen (12 if you count Pittman the LS) and 9 D-Linemen. I think I remember Kubes saying something about keeping up to 9 D-Linemen, but I don't remember him saying anything about keeping that many O-Linemen. I look for this to be an area where there might be some more cuts. Possibly Bedell and/or Salaam.

I think they kept Bedell because he can play guard or tackle, and since they only had 3 other guards (McKinney,Pitts,Weary) they probably figured they better hang on to Bedell in case McKinney has anymore injury problems. I also think they kept Salaam because Wiegert is pretty old and they wanted someone, other than rookie Eric "Caveman" Winston, with more experience to back him up or in case he gets injured.

I do think also that these could be positions that Kubes is looking to improve on through the waiver wire. Either way, I can't see them carrying 12 O-Linemen. JMHO!

Texian
09-02-2006, 12:15 AM
Broncos | Van Pelt will be cut
Fri, 1 Sep 2006 18:18:29 -0700

Frank Schwab, of the Gazette, reports Denver Broncos QB Bradlee Van Pelt has been informed he will be cut Saturday, Sept. 2, according to his agent Matt Brei. Brei said he was told the Broncos staff was still debating Friday morning, Sept, 1, whether to keep two or three quarterbacks. He said the staff decided to keep QB Jake Plummer and first-round pick QB Jay Cutler and let Van Pelt go.

Toro
09-02-2006, 01:47 AM
Courtney Watson, we hardly knew ya.

Also, it's being reported that C Greg Eslinger is about to be cut by the Broncos. I'd be interested in seeing the Texans bring him in on the cheap.

Jwwillis
09-02-2006, 02:33 AM
New England let go DB's and LBers.

Not sure how good they are.

PapaL
09-02-2006, 09:00 AM
NE has been having fits trying to fill their LB corp. Getting Seau out of retirement, everyone else being injured. Wouldnt go near their cut LBs. JMO

tburdette
09-02-2006, 12:24 PM
]']Mario and Weaver as DEs seems to be getting the most push. Travis and Robaire seems to be the best option at DT. Robaire looks like he cant shead his man and go upfield. Payne is not doing that great either.

Well we should have cut Payne last year and definetly we should have this year. This guy hasn;t done much for us recently so I don't see why we still keep him around.

done88
09-02-2006, 03:50 PM
Derick Lewis is the second string behind Dre is tht a change. That makes him fur and David Anderson 5. It looks like we could put Anderson on the practice squad and look to pick up a kick returner off waivers. There is always a good return man who could not make it as a reciever available on the wire.