PDA

View Full Version : Lunch with Eric Winston

Texans_Chick
08-31-2006, 11:30 AM
Went to the Texans Team luncheon yesterday. Did a write up for the NFL Fanhouse. I am putting this post here because there a few items in the fanblog post that are Texans football related:

Link: Texans NFL Fanhouse (http://texans.aolsportsblog.com/2006/08/31/my-lunch-with-eric-winston/)

Excerpt:

New System. He says he loves Kubiak's offensive system and believes it is very player friendly.

Coaching. He likes Gary Kubiak a ton but on a day to day basis he doesn't work much with him. He deals more with Assistant Coach Mike Sherman and Offensive Line Coach John Benton. Kubiak works more with the skill players.

In previous years, the players had to wear suits to the luncheon, but this year they were dressed more business casual, like most of the crowd. Kubiak's call. This makes sense given all the stuff they are having to do and the fact that it is a milliondy degrees outside. This is one of many player friendly things that Kubiak has changed this year.

His Place on the Line. He has worked mostly at learning the right tackle position. He says from a technique perspective it is totally different than the left side that he played in college. Recently, he has worked some on the left tackle position, to see if he can act as a swing tackle for depth.

NFL Allegiance. I was worried because he is from Midland whether he would be a diehard Cowboy fan. Turns out he has a contrarian streak. He was a 49er fan growing up. This is yet another reason to root for him.

There's a nice link over there to the newspaper journal he wrote while finishing up his time at Miami, through the draft, and into camp.:cool:

The Dude Abides
08-31-2006, 11:34 AM
thanks for the info.:cowboy1:

U4ikrob
08-31-2006, 12:04 PM
Our very own in depth reporter with the scoop once again. No wonder Mclame and Justnuts are looking over the shoulder now.

Great article again TC!!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Texans_Chick again.

Malloy
08-31-2006, 12:26 PM
No wonder Mclame and Justnuts are looking over the shoulder now.
^--- hihi, made me laugh :)

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
08-31-2006, 12:38 PM
Nice post Texans Chick..........great info, better than ESPN.....

eric138
08-31-2006, 12:45 PM
pretty much the same words out of Luchey's mouth. This was my first time to a luncheon and it was really nice. I had a lot of fun.

SheTexan
08-31-2006, 01:41 PM
"He was a 49er fan growing up." Even more of a reason to like this guy, IMHO!!

I met Eric at All Access and he is a super guy! BTW: for all you gals out there who don't like the pink jerseys, Eric asked me where I bought the one my granddaughter had on cause he wanted to buy his girlfriend one!:)

Great article, as usual, TC!! THANKS!!!

Lucky
08-31-2006, 01:52 PM
The thing that is oft brought up when talking about him is the "Caveman" comparison. No, we did not have the roast duck with the mango salsa.
So he didn't have much of an appetite?

nunusguy
08-31-2006, 02:00 PM
" Turns out he has a contrarian streak. He was a 49er fan growing up. This is yet another reason to root for him. "
Eric have a contrarian streak ? Awe, you're kidding. I would never have guessed that.
Good article TC. I enjoyed it !

Ihategeeks
08-31-2006, 05:53 PM
I coveted Winston before the draft, how does he look?

edo783
08-31-2006, 07:24 PM
I coveted Winston before the draft, how does he look?

Not bad, but doesn't seem to be coming along as fast as Spencer, but still doing well.

Runner
08-31-2006, 07:34 PM
Not bad, but doesn't seem to be coming along as fast as Spencer, but still doing well.

a) I would say not nearly as fast as Spencer.

b) But that's OK, because Spencer is far exceeding realistic expectations for a 3rd round tackle.

Txn_in_FL
08-31-2006, 07:48 PM
Another great read. WITH the addition of a brand new word to the English language.

"Milliondy" perfectly captures the temp in Houston. Get on the phone with Webster asap because this has to become official.

:francis:

Crazyhorse
09-01-2006, 08:35 PM
I would disagree with you on where Eric is. I think he is every bit as good as Spencer is right now. H plays more consistant than Wiegert. Against Tampa Bay last night he registered at least three pancakes!(putting the opposong player on his back). He has better foot work than Spencer and is faster. Had they given Eric the opportunity at left tackle he would be starting.
Spencer is 20 pounds heavier and uses it well but Eric is also a good 2 inches taller than Spencer. Also Eric brings more knowledge to the position having played there for three seasons.
I think our best line up will be when Eric and Spencer are the book ends in our line

Double Barrel
09-01-2006, 09:12 PM
Nice work, TC. :thumbup I always appreciate your perspective.