PDA

View Full Version : No Way DD gets cut, IR most likely

Texian
08-29-2006, 07:34 PM
Read today's "Open Locker Room Quotes....

Kubiak (on cutting Domanick Davis) ďThe idea of cutting Domanick has not even played a factor. I donít know where that came from. The decision is strictly if his knee is going to be healthy enough to play. If his knee is not healthy enough to play, if that is the decision thatís made about him, then heís looking at an I.R. (injury reserve) season. If he is going to be able to make it back, then he is going to be on this football team. The other choice (cutting Davis) has never been a factor. Domanick Davis is a big part of this football team as Iíve said all along weíre going to do whatís right for him.Ē

If DD goes on IR he his done for 2006 season.

blockhead83
08-29-2006, 07:38 PM
If a player is placed on IR does it effect his contract in any way? Does he still make the same salary for the year, and does his contract status still progress a year?

PapaL
08-29-2006, 08:03 PM
If a player is placed on IR does it effect his contract in any way? Does he still make the same salary for the year, and does his contract status still progress a year?

He gets paid according to his contract. So if he was due to make $6M plus playing incentives, then he make $6M and no incentives. Onto the next year of his contract.

Runner
08-29-2006, 08:21 PM
I'm glad Kubiak cleared that up for the health of the board.

Texans_Chick
08-29-2006, 08:32 PM
Here's my AOL blog post about it (I can post there immediately without having to get someone to publish it for me):

"Domanick Davis: To IR or Not IR, That is the Question" (http://texans.aolsportsblog.com/2006/08/29/domanick-davis-to-ir-or-not-ir-that-is-the-question/)

If you look at Kubiak's prior quote, you can see how everyone freaked.

I guess IR.

texan279
08-29-2006, 08:37 PM
I cannot figure out why we would put him on IR after the doctors have said, according to various articles, that his knee is fine and he will have to get used to the pain. He has had almost a year off, is another year really going to help? And before I get bashed, I am not a DD hater, Bush lover, etc. I just cannot figure this thing out, the story of DD's knee seems to change almost everyday.

nunusguy
08-29-2006, 08:37 PM
If you look at Kubiak's prior quote, you can see how everyone freaked.

And/or if you heard him on SR 610 earlier this week as I did. IMO, he was ready to ax/cut DD, but had a change of heart. Or maybe somebody helped change his mind for him after a sampling of fan opinion ?

texan279
08-29-2006, 08:38 PM
And/or if you heard him on SR 610 earlier this week as I did. IMO, he was ready to ax/cut DD, but had a change of heart. Or maybe somebody helped change his mind for him after a sampling of fan opinion ?

Nah if that was the case Sage would be starting at QB. Maybe McNair changed his mind?

phan1
08-29-2006, 08:44 PM
Inaccurate info from out own newspaper! FOR SHAME!!!

Anyway, from what I read, DD is just going to have to suck it up and play because it's just not going to get much better even if he does sit out for a whole year. It's going to end up sore once he starts playing anyway. It's really unfortunate that we hear other player come back from bigger injuried (Edge and Mghee) and they turn up great. Can't someone perform some kind of surgery for DD?

texan279
08-29-2006, 08:47 PM
Inaccurate info from out own newspaper! FOR SHAME!!!

Anyway, from what I read, DD is just going to have to suck it up and play because it's just not going to get much better even if he does sit out for a whole year. It's going to end up sore once he starts playing anyway. It's really unfortunate that we hear other player come back from bigger injuried (Edge and Mghee) and they turn up great. Can't someone perform some kind of surgery for DD?

Agreed. And from what I read the original surgery included a partial removal of his meniscus. If I remember correctly, when I had my knee operated on, I had meniscus damage also, and the meniscus is a layer of tissue that fits under the knee cap that provides a sort of cushion for the underside of the knee cap. I could be wrong on this, maybe cloak can chime in on it.

aj.
08-29-2006, 08:52 PM
Adam Schefter, aka Suzy Kolber's brother, reported on Total Access that he spoke to the Texans today and he doesn't expect DD to be released.

Anyone who heard Kubiak yesterday evening could have (and did) easily interpret the words and the tone to mean cut so I don't think any of us were over-reacting to what we heard, just relaying it.

Brandon420tx
08-29-2006, 09:15 PM
]I cannot figure out why we would put him on IR after the doctors have said, according to various articles, that his knee is fine and he will have to get used to the pain.[/B] He has had almost a year off, is another year really going to help? And before I get bashed, I am not a DD hater, Bush lover, etc. I just cannot figure this thing out, the story of DD's knee seems to change almost everyday.

You know, I keep seeing people post that they've seen "various articles" that have the play through the pain thing. I am not denying that was ever in an article .... but I only saw 1 article. Does that count as various?

(p.s. this actually surprised me that I only saw it on 1 article, given how often the media takes previous reports, slightly edits them, and puts them out as their own, maybe it wasn't on an associated press and thats why I haven't seen it multiple times on multiple articles. Meh)

thunderkyss
08-29-2006, 09:55 PM
Read today's "Open Locker Room Quotes....

Kubiak (on cutting Domanick Davis) ďThe idea of cutting Domanick has not even played a factor. I donít know where that came from. The decision is strictly if his knee is going to be healthy enough to play. If his knee is not healthy enough to play, if that is the decision thatís made about him, then heís looking at an I.R. (injury reserve) season. If he is going to be able to make it back, then he is going to be on this football team. The other choice (cutting Davis) has never been a factor. Domanick Davis is a big part of this football team as Iíve said all along weíre going to do whatís right for him.Ē

If DD goes on IR he his done for 2006 season.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhaaaaaaaaaa.......... yipee... yipee... yipee. I love Kubiak.

First, I need to know where I can look at these talking notes, and press releases.... I seem to not be smart enough to navigate HoustonTexans.com..... someone please drop me some links.

Second..... I said a hundred Hail Mary's, and promised to not criticize Carr for the rest of this season, if We can get DD back healthy.....

I've been trying to lay off.... & I know I'm not doing to well. If you guys could remind me every now and again, I'd appreciate it.

They were talking about cutting DD on NFL network......... the possibility.... AdamScheffer said it wasn't possible...... but anyway, they were showing some highlights. & I have to say, I disagree with everyone who doesn't believe DD is special.

anyway..... I'm happy. I love this team, and I love GaryK.

thunderkyss
08-29-2006, 10:04 PM
You know, I keep seeing people post that they've seen "various articles" that have the play through the pain thing. I am not denying that was ever in an article .... but I only saw 1 article. Does that count as various?

(p.s. this actually surprised me that I only saw it on 1 article, given how often the media takes previous reports, slightly edits them, and puts them out as their own, maybe it wasn't on an associated press and thats why I haven't seen it multiple times on multiple articles. Meh)

The Texans passed on Reggie Bush. If you see one article about DD not making the team, or DD health issues, every major paper, Net Zine, & what not will have a version out of some kind, you can bet on that.

But DD's knee issues, I thought aren't necessarily related to the operation. He returned to camp, passed the physical, and was cleared to play. Then something happened, nobody knows what (to the best of my knowledge) and it appeared bruised. They did MRIs, and consulted with doctors, and could find nothing wrong with his knee.

Right now, the knee just doesn't feel right...... there is some pain....... & the doctors have said for all they know, the pain may be normal.

No ones ever explained the bruise.

I'm hoping the Texans are resting DD....... & though it's a ****ty thing to do, I hope DD is waiting till next week to start practicing with the team...... ala steveSmith, & Hines Ward.

texan279
08-29-2006, 10:06 PM

http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/content/player_news.asp?sport=NFL&id=1614&line=71201

"Shoot, if he's full speed in Week 4 or 5, he's going to help us, but we hope to get him back a lot sooner than that," Kubiak said. Added GM Rick Smith, "There's a chance his knee may never feel like it did before the injury."

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/

Davis has recently been experiencing pain on the outside of his knee, an injury Texans head coach Gary Kubiak calls a "bone bruise." Doctors have told Davis he'll always have to deal with the discomfort and learn to play through it. He may be withheld from contact until the start of the season.

Because Davis doesn't have much cartliage remaining in his knee, it's always going to be sore. He's going to have to play with pain. The doctors and trainers have told him his knee is never going to feel like it did before his second knee injury. The first one came when he was at LSU. Davis doesn't want to return until his knee feels like it felt before the injury. Therein lies the problem. They say his knee will never feel the same, and he has to learn to play with that pain. He says he wants his knee to feel as it did before.

www.kffl.com

Texans | D. Davis wants to play Ė but it does not look good
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 19:58:45 -0700

The Associated Press reports Houston Texans RB Domanick Davis (knee) doesn't know when his injured left knee will be healthy enough for him to return to the field. He has been out for a month with a bone bruise that is causing soreness in his knee. He said it has been frustrating and surprising that the injury has kept him out this long. "It's getting to the point where it's just draining me," he said. "I'm tired of watching. I've been here and I've worked hard with everybody else and I can't be out there and help. It's just killing me watching." Texans head coach Gary Kubiak plans to meet with Davis, his agent and his doctors this week to discuss his injury. He wants to find out if Davis can play this season or if he needs to be placed on Injured Reserve. Davis will not be available for Houston's opener against Philadelphia and rookie RB Wali Lundy will start in his place.

LINK (http://www.deadspin.com/sports/nfl/do-not-draft-domanick-davis-people-197313.php?mail2=true)

He had arthroscopic surgery before the season, practiced the first day of camp, but had immediate swelling in his knee. He obtained an outside MRI that gave him the good news that there was nothing he had that required another surgery, but that he had a "knee bone bruise" and that his knee may never end up feeling the same as it did prior to the surgery. ... It's handy for a running back to have his knees.

Brandon420tx
08-29-2006, 10:12 PM
Only one of those says "playing through the pain."

The others say he just won't be the same, could be taken to mean he won't be as fast, or more commonly on returning after leg injuries, fear of getting re-injured, ala Barry Sanders.

Now,
Me = Stubborn :homer: , but I was right about only seeing it in 1 article.

texan279
08-29-2006, 10:18 PM
Only one of those says "playing through the pain."

The others say he just won't be the same, could be taken to mean he won't be as fast, or more commonly on returning after leg injuries, fear of getting re-injured, ala Barry Sanders.

Now,
Me = Stubborn :homer: , but I was right about only seeing it in 1 article.

Says his knee will never be the same, not "he won't be the same." If he goes on IR, that will be a total of almost 2 years he will be out because of his knee. Even if he does come back, he won't be the same, if he cannot even practice how will he play?

infantrycak
08-29-2006, 10:22 PM
Second..... I said a hundred Hail Mary's, and promised to not criticize Carr for the rest of this season, if We can get DD back healthy.....

I'm calling BS.

thunderkyss
08-29-2006, 10:28 PM
I'm calling BS.

what?? that I said them, or that he'll be back healthy??

or that I won't criticize Carr for a full season??

Understand, through my criticism...... I've never said we should replace him.

so what's the hubbub.......... bub??

FILO_girl
08-29-2006, 10:32 PM
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhaaaaaaaaaa.......... yipee... yipee... yipee. I love Kubiak.

First, I need to know where I can look at these talking notes, and press releases.... I seem to not be smart enough to navigate HoustonTexans.com..... someone please drop me some links.

I've been trying to lay off.... & I know I'm not doing to well. If you guys could remind me every now and again, I'd appreciate it.

They were talking about cutting DD on NFL network......... the possibility.... AdamScheffer said it wasn't possible...... but anyway, they were showing some highlights. & I have to say, I disagree with everyone who doesn't believe DD is special.

anyway..... I'm happy. I love this team, and I love GaryK.

I share in your optimism, but can't muster up the passion you exhibit.
Always enjoy your posts, Thunderkyss. :)

I like DD and think we still need him. IR, please.

gtexan02
08-29-2006, 10:44 PM
I want him back now. Especially if the doctors say he is fine. But the thing we have to remember is that we're dealing with a "bone bruise" If you'll read Texan_chick's post, you will learn that this is pretty much uncharted territory. We just have to be patient with learning what exactly that means

infantrycak
08-30-2006, 04:59 AM

I heard the interview and I disagree on the change of heart. IMO he phrased it so it easily could have been interpreted as DD might be cut but was really just talking about IR vs. active roster as said today--the word cut was never actually stated. Once he saw it was being run out as saying he might be cut he clarified what he meant.

Marcus
08-30-2006, 06:04 AM
From today's Chronicle article:

Davis' anxiety mounts with the Texans (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4150913.html)

infantrycak
08-30-2006, 07:02 AM
Where has this 227 lb figure come from which has been printed in the last couple articles? He was originally listed at 221 lbs by the Texans but has been listed at 216 lbs for the past couple years.

McClain is trying to cover a little for yesterday's story with the "Kubiak says IR is the most likely option" if DD can't play. Kubiak said pretty definitively waiving him wasn't being considered.

Marcus
08-30-2006, 07:42 AM
Where has this 227 lb figure come from which has been printed in the last couple articles? He was originally listed at 221 lbs by the Texans but has been listed at 216 lbs for the past couple years.

McClain is trying to cover a little for yesterday's story with the "Kubiak says IR is the most likely option" if DD can't play. Kubiak said pretty definitively waiving him wasn't being considered.

Yeah, but if you actually heard Kubiak on the radio the night before, you would gotten the idea that waiving him was being considered, not that McClain needs any defending by me. If there's any blame to be assigned for this 'misinterpretation', then Kubes should share it.

infantrycak
08-30-2006, 08:05 AM
Yeah, but if you actually heard Kubiak on the radio the night before, you would gotten the idea that waiving him was being considered, not that McClain needs any defending by me. If there's any blame to be assigned for this 'misinterpretation', then Kubes should share it.

I heard the interview and I see where there was room for the speculation. Wasn't doing a blame McClain for the original article thing. My point was Kubiak's latest quote left no vagueness and McClain tried to make it seem less than clear IMO--would have been easy to quote this:

(on cutting Domanick Davis) ďThe idea of cutting Domanick has not even played a factor. I donít know where that came from. The decision is strictly if his knee is going to be healthy enough to play. If his knee is not healthy enough to play, if that is the decision thatís made about him, then heís looking at an I.R. (injury reserve) season. If he is going to be able to make it back, then he is going to be on this football team. The other choice (cutting Davis) has never been a factor. Domanick Davis is a big part of this football team as Iíve said all along weíre going to do whatís right for him.Ē

texflex513
08-30-2006, 10:05 AM
I too misinterpreted kubiaks comments.....One of the 610 radio guys asked him is there a possibility domanick WONT make the 53 man roster (or something like that) and kubiak's answer was really scary in that he said there was a really tough decision to make regarding domanick and that they were gonna discuss it with his agent and with doctors and do whats best for domanick and the football team....in hindsight i see he only meant IR but when the question of not making the team came up it was really easy to get a YES WE LIKELY WILL CUT DOMANICK out of kubiaks answer.

texan279
08-30-2006, 10:14 AM
from www.kffl.com

Texans | Team likely to place D. Davis on injured reserve
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 07:35:05 -0700

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans are likely to place RB Domanick Davis (knee) on injured reserve this season should Davis be unable to play. "Domanick is a big part of this team, as I've said all along, but if his knee isn't healthy enough for him to play, then he's looking at injured reserve," head coach Gary Kubiak said. "I don't know what's going to happen. We've got to sit down as a group to discuss the situation."

real
08-30-2006, 10:16 AM
Can teams trade injured players ?

texan279
08-30-2006, 10:19 AM
Can teams trade injured players ?

If he could pass a physical I don't see why not, since the doctors have said his knee is fine. But who would want him at this point? He has zero trade value at this point with the knee issue and his contract.

El Tejano
08-30-2006, 10:19 AM
Funny how John Mcclain reported this and just yesterday his article mentioned he can't be put on IR because he was in camp.

PhillyFan
08-30-2006, 10:20 AM
Good move. I much prefer putting him on IR, as opposed to cutting him outright.

PhillyFan
08-30-2006, 10:21 AM
Funny how John Mcclain reported this and just yesterday his article mentioned he can't be put on IR because he was in camp.

He can be put on the IR...he cant be put on the PUP (physically unable to perform) list.

thunderkyss
08-30-2006, 10:25 AM
Good move. I much prefer putting him on IR, as opposed to cutting him outright.

It's sad when we get this kind of talk froma Phillyfan (a philly fan) and our own fans are ready to dump the guy, because they see no value in him whatsoever.

real
08-30-2006, 10:36 AM
I don't mind him being on injured reserve...I also don't mind him playing, or being cut....I really don't have a preference about the DD situation...But I don't think he is worth much to the team anymore...I honestly don't see what he brings to the table that other players ,who have actually played, can't....My question to you Tkyss is: What does DD offer to us as an orginization right now ? mid season ? next year ?...And since we are assuming that DD is going to be the same player when he comes back from injury, lets assume that Morency & Lundy produce just as they have this pre-season....My answers: Value right now-None, Mid-Season-None(my gut says he will be put on IR), Next year-He may be the forgotten man by this time...

real
08-30-2006, 10:37 AM

Cant be put on PUP...

Texans_Chick
08-30-2006, 10:50 AM
I too misinterpreted kubiaks comments.....One of the 610 radio guys asked him is there a possibility domanick WONT make the 53 man roster (or something like that) and kubiak's answer was really scary in that he said there was a really tough decision to make regarding domanick and that they were gonna discuss it with his agent and with doctors and do whats best for domanick and the football team....in hindsight i see he only meant IR but when the question of not making the team came up it was really easy to get a YES WE LIKELY WILL CUT DOMANICK out of kubiaks answer.

Look at my August 28 and 29th NFL Fanhouse posts on DD (http://texans.aolsportsblog.com/). I try to put as much as the quote as I can so that you can draw your own conclusions without too much of the author's shading

They don't have a clip of the Kubiak interview on the 610 site, but it sure sounded like cut city.

texflex513
08-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Look at my August 28 and 29th NFL Fanhouse posts on DD (http://texans.aolsportsblog.com/). I try to put as much as the quote as I can so that you can draw your own conclusions without too much of the author's shading

They don't have a clip of the Kubiak interview on the 610 site, but it sure sounded like cut city.

Im just relieved bigtime that it was all a misunderstanding, now my blood pressure can return to normal.:redtowel: I am still sad that DD might have to miss the entire season but we wont know that until thurs or fri.

thunderkyss
08-30-2006, 11:15 AM
My question to you Tkyss is: What does DD offer to us as an orginization right now ? mid season ? next year ?...And since we are assuming that DD is going to be the same player when he comes back from injury, lets assume that Morency & Lundy produce just as they have this pre-season....My answers: Value right now-None, Mid-Season-None(my gut says he will be put on IR), Next year-He may be the forgotten man by this time...

True enough. If Lundy & Morency perform like they have over the preseason, then DD adds little value to the team.

If he is put on IR, and the world has forgot about him, but we see that he can play..... and be productive, then we have the option to trade Lundy/Morency for DeAngelo Hall, Terrance Newman, or CharlieWhithurst.

real
08-30-2006, 11:18 AM
True enough. If Lundy & Morency perform like they have over the preseason, then DD adds little value to the team.

If he is put on IR, and the world has forgot about him, but we see that he can play..... and be productive, then we have the option to trade Lundy/Morency for DeAngelo Hall, Terrance Newman, or CharlieWhithurst.

I don't think any of those teams would be interested in Morency or Lundy...They all have good starting and back-up running backs...

Vinny
08-30-2006, 11:21 AM
LOL put the pipe down...you are making less sense than usual.

GP
08-30-2006, 11:26 AM

It's worlwide now that Kubiak has said that "cutting" DD was NEVER an option.

It's I.R. at the worst. And frankly, that's what I wanted from the beginning of training camp. Give him a year to rehab slowly and effectively.

(Can't tell by your phrasing whether you're "thinking" he's going to be cut, or if you're just relaying the information from Kubiak that might have led people to think DD was going to be cut...)

thunderkyss
08-30-2006, 11:43 AM
LOL put the pipe down...you are making less sense than usual.

How did Shanahan get Champ Bailey in Denver, or did you not think that made sense??

And I'm quite pleased with my pipe thankyou very much.........

real
08-30-2006, 11:46 AM
How did Shanahan get Champ Bailey in Denver, or did you not think that made sense??

And I'm quite pleased with my pipe thankyou very much.........

He got Champ in Denver by giving up a Stud...

thunderkyss
08-30-2006, 11:51 AM
He got Champ in Denver by giving up a Stud...

I understand, that's what I'm saying. If DD is healthy, and Lundy proves to be a stud...... we can get a good return on him.

texan279
08-30-2006, 11:52 AM
I understand, that's what I'm saying. If DD is healthy, and Lundy proves to be a stud...... we can get a good return on him.

Why would we get rid of a "stud" RB just because DD is healthy?

real
08-30-2006, 11:58 AM

Well if that scenario plays out...I hardly doubt we trade Lundy BECAUSE DD is healthy...Why would we put all our trust in a banged up RB that is having trouble coming back after a boo boo ? (i know it isn't just a "boo boo", but compared to others injuries it is, IMO)

HOU-TEX
08-30-2006, 12:00 PM

DD will never be healthy for 16 games straight. Never has, never will. Next subject please!:crying:

Vinny
08-30-2006, 12:08 PM

And I'm quite pleased with my pipe thankyou very much.........Um, if you think Lundy has the trade value of Portis...you aren't worth arguing with. Lundy has zero trade value and you would be laughed at in the Bronco forum if you asked if that was something worth considering....actually you would be laughed at at every NFL forum, not just a bronco forum.

texflex513
08-30-2006, 01:07 PM

I agree that its possible but lundy would have to have a monster year or 2 with stats at least as good as what portis put up in denver before the trade would happen and if lundy does that i doubt we would want to lose him, with that being said domanick would still be our starter if healthy.

DD:homer:

Bobo
08-30-2006, 06:19 PM
Oh, JUST the IR? That's so, so much better.