PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Wells Signs With Colts

texasguy346
08-29-2006, 12:32 AM
Also on Monday, the Colts brought in running back Jonathan Wells, a fifth-year NFL veteran from Ohio State who spent the past four seasons with the Houston Texans.

Wells rushed for 1,167 yards and 10 touchdowns on 374 carries for Houston.

“We’re probably going to sign him,” Dungy said. “Right now, we only have four backs. We don’t want to play Dominic (Rhodes) and Joseph (Addai) a lot against Cincinnati. It will give us an opportunity to look at him.”

Said Wells, “Right now, I haven’t even met the coaches. I’m interested in meeting those guys and seeing what they have planned for me.”

In Wells’ four seasons, the Texans went 0-8 against Indianapolis.

“You can’t come to a better organization,” Wells said. “It’s a class act and they win a lot of games. I haven’t won a lot of games since I’ve been in the NFL, so I’d like to change that right now.”

link (http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=3979)

Looks to be only a short term thing aimed at keeping their remaining RBs fresh, but apparently Dungy is taking a very close look at all the back RBs let go by the Texans. You'd think after getting a look at what Hollings can do that Dungy would steer clear of other running backs given their walking papers by the Texans. Nevertheless I wish him luck & hope he does well.

TEXANS84
08-29-2006, 08:05 AM
Good for Wells, although I hate that he's going to a division rival. I've always liked Jonathan and wish him the best of luck.

real
08-29-2006, 08:16 AM
http://www.kffl.com/transactions.php/NFL

It's official

Colts | J. Wells signed
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 05:32:28 -0700

Mike Chappell, of the Indianapolis Star, reports the Indianapolis Colts have signed free agent RB Jonathan Wells (Texans) to an undisclosed contract. He went through a light workout in the afternoon Monday, Aug, 28. "I haven't even met with the coaching staff,'' Wells said. "I don't know what they're going to try to do with me. I have no idea. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully I'll get a fair chance to get out there and try to help the team.''

bavanlan
08-29-2006, 09:44 AM
link (http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=3979)

Looks to be only a short term thing aimed at keeping their remaining RBs fresh, but apparently Dungy is taking a very close look at all the back RBs let go by the Texans. You'd think after getting a look at what Hollings can do that Dungy would steer clear of other running backs given their walking papers by the Texans. Nevertheless I wish him luck & hope he does well.

I think part of this signing is a need for a true FB for short yardage situations. Over the past couple years, we have really struggled with short down yardage, mostly because of a lack of a true power runner/FB. Pair that with a season-ending injury to our pseudo-FB, and you see a glaring hole for a power runner develop quickly. This preseason, we've been using one of our DT's as a blocking FB, but that may not be a long term answer. I personally would have liked to see us go after Evans from NE, but we don't use a power runner/FB often enough for the price tag he may carry.

Either way, it's a pleasant change of pace to have a 250 lb. + runner on the roster, instead of the typical 215-220lb. variety RB.

infantrycak
08-29-2006, 09:52 AM
Either way, it's a pleasant change of pace to have a 250 lb. + runner on the roster, instead of the typical 215-220lb. variety RB.

The best description ever of Wells was Looks like Tarzan, Runs like Jane. He is a special teams stand out and can catch the ball.

the wonger need food
08-29-2006, 10:12 AM
I think part of this signing is a need for a true FB for short yardage situations.

The Colts didn't address any needs at FB with Wells... sorry.

bavanlan
08-29-2006, 10:17 AM
The Colts didn't address any needs at FB with Wells... sorry.

Not a power runner at 250 lbs.? Interesting indeed. If true, then this signing just became more confusing...:dangit:

BTW, by "FB", I mean not only run blocking in the true FB sense, but also a power runner between the tackles...

jerek
08-29-2006, 10:24 AM
Just to echo what everyone else has said, he ran like a giant sissy while with the Texans. I've heard FWIW he was a bad lockerroom influence and not the most coachable attitude. Better luck to you guys with him; he may react better now that he isn't playing Capersball.

But I wouldn't count on it.

bavanlan
08-29-2006, 10:28 AM
He thinks he is twinkletoes.

LOL!

How did he do when faced with short-yardage? Does he have the ability to run over people and simply chooses not to? To me, it's of minimal concern how he runs in the open field, because with the exception of this upcoming pre-season game, he won't see the field outside the redzone or short yardage. However, it he's a weak runner...then that's a different story.

AustinJB
08-29-2006, 11:18 AM
LOL!

How did he do when faced with short-yardage? Does he have the ability to run over people and simply chooses not to? To me, it's of minimal concern how he runs in the open field, because with the exception of this upcoming pre-season game, he won't see the field outside the redzone or short yardage. However, it he's a weak runner...then that's a different story.

If anything should give you a clue, it's the fact that Kubiak (who excels in finding that "diamond in the rough RB", even undrafted FAs...) didn't think it necessary to keep him even though Dom. Davis has major injury concerns....FWIW.

HoustonTexan
08-29-2006, 09:39 PM
I was surprised that the Colts picked up several ex-Texans including Johnathan Wells and Tony Hollings. I thought Johnathan Wells was really coming along on special teams and showed promise as a back-up to DD last year.

See link to Indy Star

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060829/SPORTS03/608290413

marroncito
08-31-2006, 06:52 AM
It looks like Wells might have a shot of at least taking over James Mungro's role in the Colts offense if not more.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1601

Colts signed RB Jonathan Wells, formerly of the Texans.
Wells can do a little of everything, so he basically replaces James Mungro (torn ACL), in theory. But if Joseph Addai and Dominic Rhodes don't pick up their production, it wouldn't be surprising at all to see Wells become a big part of the offense. He could also be cut before the season.

edo783
08-31-2006, 08:13 AM
Good for him and I wish him well except for twice a year.

El Tejano
08-31-2006, 12:28 PM
Hey Wells, just do us one favor man. When you see Mario about to sack Manning, slide over and give the kid a shot at him.

Just for old times sake.