PDA

View Full Version : Kubiak--State of the Texans 8/28/06

Marcus
08-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Their website has streaming if you can't listen to it on the radio.

real
08-28-2006, 05:51 PM
Their website has streaming if you can't listen to it on the radio.

thanks for the heads up...:fireball:

Farough
08-28-2006, 05:53 PM
whats the web address please?

Lucky
08-28-2006, 05:56 PM
http://www.sportsradio610.com/

Farough
08-28-2006, 05:58 PM
Thanks, Lucky!

Marcus
08-28-2006, 06:14 PM
OMG, did anyone just hear what Kubiak said regarding Domanick?

Vinny
08-28-2006, 06:15 PM
Kubiak just stated that Dom may not make the final cut.

Mysteryhunt
08-28-2006, 06:16 PM
kubiak praising the D, demarco, weaver and williams in particular, he also praises spencer. he says that chris taylor ans a. smith will split the carries in the tampa game.

the wonger need food
08-28-2006, 06:17 PM

Sounds like a ploy to motivate Domanick, but I'd be okay with it. Morency should be able to step in and take over.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-28-2006, 06:17 PM
If anything I think he will be put on the PUP list then possibly IR if he isn't ready to play by week 9. I highly doubt they flat out cut him.

Marcus
08-28-2006, 06:18 PM

That's the way I read it, too! :shocked

TEXANS84
08-28-2006, 06:19 PM

Wow, in those words? Like SBT stated, I can understand the PUP but flatout cut??

nunusguy
08-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Sounds like a ploy to motivate Domanick
I don't think so. Dominich's problem has nothing to do with motivation, or lack thereof. DDs pretty popular, and I think Kubiak may be bracing us.

Mysteryhunt
08-28-2006, 06:21 PM
yeah it did sort of sound that way, what would be the financial ramifications of such a move?

Vinny
08-28-2006, 06:22 PM
Someone was speculating that Dom was done earlier this off-season. I wonder if that wasn't so crazy now.

Kubiak also could have meant the PUP squad...but he never mentioned it. He just said that Davis wasn't a lock to make the 53-man roster.

Marcus
08-28-2006, 06:23 PM
If anything I think he will be put on the PUP list then possibly IR if he isn't ready to play by week 9. I highly doubt they flat out cut him.

I dunno. . . speculating here, but Kubes mentions "tough decision". I don't see how it would be a such a tough decision to PUP him if he's not ready by the opener.

JDTexan
08-28-2006, 06:26 PM
On the Gary Kubiak show on 610 Sportsradio, Kubiak said that they were going to have to make a "tough decision" in the next few days about Davis because as the team continues on, Domanick is almost too far behind.

Kubiak didn't sound confident that Domanick would be making the next cut! :dontknowa

aj.
08-28-2006, 06:27 PM
Sounds like a ploy to motivate Domanick,

Based on what was stated, i.e., "can't get on the field," "really tough decisions coming up with the 53," "serious concerns in that area," and how it was stated from a voice inflection standpoint I'd say there's serious doubt about DD making the 53. I don't think this is a ploy to motivate DD. It's time to play football and the generals need to know who their soldiers are.

He just said that Davis wasn't a lock to make the 53-man roster.

Didn't say that literally, but it was implied heavily.

Mysteryhunt
08-28-2006, 06:27 PM
i love how kubes talks about carr. he just talks about him like he would about any other player.

nunusguy
08-28-2006, 06:29 PM
The injury with DD illustrates one more very good reason not to spend a
"real" high Draft pick on a running back. Its cold hearted I know, but its
just business.
If DDs career does come to a premature end, I'm glad he got some good coin
last year. I've always appreciated his efforts for the Texans.

Mysteryhunt
08-28-2006, 06:30 PM
kubes takes respinsibility for the play calling mistake at the end of the half. wow i respect this guy a lot! he owns up to his mistakes!

Peldon
08-28-2006, 06:31 PM
I really wish, just once, someone would call in and not even mention David Carr.

Lucky
08-28-2006, 06:34 PM
I really wish, just once, someone would call in and not even mention David Carr.
I hear you. Can somebody get in and get Kubiak to expound on DD's situation?

infantrycak
08-28-2006, 06:49 PM
Lewis Sanders has earned starting spot opposite D-Rob.

BigDTexansFan
08-28-2006, 06:50 PM
Wow, in those words? Like SBT stated, I can understand the PUP but flatout cut??

if they need a roster spot bad enough, they could cut him outright

aj.
08-28-2006, 06:56 PM
Lewis Sanders has earned starting spot opposite D-Rob.

Not a surprise there either. Kubiak has been speaking very highly of the guy since Petey went down. McCleon has lost a step or two and P Buc is P Buc. They will be scouring the waiver wire for a backup Will LB, another CB -- and somewhat of a surprise, another DT for the rotation (according to Kubiak).

I like how Kubiak tells it like it is. Refreshing change.

southtexan
08-28-2006, 07:00 PM
Not a surprise there either. Kubiak has been speaking very highly of the guy since Petey went down. McCleon has lost a step or two and P Buc is P Buc. They will be scouring the waiver wire for a backup Will LB, another CB -- and somewhat of a surprise, another DT for the rotation (according to Kubiak).
Do you think Payne is going to get cut?

Kaiser Toro
08-28-2006, 07:02 PM

Good to hear about Sanders. CAK mentioned earned, was that verbatim or just the feel in your opinion?

Another DT? Very interesting as the conspiracy theorist in me sees everything, but knows nothing. Who is supposed to be the reciever of that message or is it just to get a look at another player for the future (PS, next year, style of play) in your opinion?

ccdude730
p buch has excelled at returning punts, but i think he has gotten alot better at CB from last season. hopefully all that athletic ability will help him move up the charts

aj.
Do you think Payne is going to get cut?

No ............

infantrycak
08-28-2006, 07:05 PM
Good to hear about Sanders. CAK mentioned earned, was that verbatim or just the feel in your opinion?

He directly stated earned.

I heard nothing in his responses about Payne to indicate he will not make the team.

Kaiser Toro
08-28-2006, 07:07 PM
He directly stated earned.

I heard nothing in his responses about Payne to indicate he will not make the team.

Music to my ears. :texflag:

infantrycak
08-28-2006, 07:09 PM
Music to my ears. :texflag:

The only caveat to that was something akin to "since Petey went down" and a statement he knew Petey had played well for the Texans before--going to have to get him healthy and back in the game, yada, yada.

TexanFan881
08-28-2006, 07:12 PM
Regarding DDs chance that he could not make the 53 man roster, there's the high and low sides.

I was really looking forward to seeing DD make some great plays for us this year (not that it's out of the question that it won't happen), but his injury is obviously worse than all of us once thought. It's disappointing that he might not get much playing time let alone the fact that he may not even be on the roster opening day.

But, the fact we are considering that DD could be cut, shows that Kubiak is extremely confident and impressed with what we have in Morency and Lundy at RB. It's good to know that even if DD is gone or hurt, that there won't be much of a drop off if any between what we would've had with DD and what we will have with Morency and Lundy. I'm excited to see what both Morency and Lundy can bring to the table and maybe even Taylor this weekend since he's supposed to get some playing time.

TK_Gamer
08-28-2006, 07:22 PM
I think the DD thing is purely business, and I think it kills kubiak to have to make a decision like that. but DD has a lingering condition that may never get 100 % better and he hasn't practiced, if they sign another back off the wire or final cut list they could possibly get a back that has at least practiced all off-season and isn't day to day. what exactly is the cap ramifications of cutting DD? anyone?

hollywood_texan
08-28-2006, 07:41 PM
what exactly is the cap ramifications of cutting DD? anyone?

I think there also ramifications with cutting a player that is injured due to the collective bargaining agreement for payout purposes.

Texans Pride
08-28-2006, 07:43 PM
Does anyone know if there is a transcript of what he said, or a way to go back and listen to it again?

Thanks

southtexan
08-28-2006, 07:45 PM

Another DT? Very interesting as the conspiracy theorist in me sees everything, but knows nothing. Who is supposed to be the reciever of that message or is it just to get a look at another player for the future (PS, next year, style of play) in your opinion?
Verbatim= from Latin verbum word
: in the exact words : word for word

HoustonFan
08-28-2006, 07:55 PM
I can't get 610 at work, so I settle for 790 - both are alright IMO.

Anyway, from what I could tell when I heard the clip, I'm thinking the DD situation may not be something we'd like to hear after this week is up. "Sit down talk w/ the agent to see where we stand..." I dunno guys.:confused:

Texans_Chick
08-28-2006, 07:57 PM
Here's a linky with similar info from AP:

Kubiak 'very concerned' about RB Davis (http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/sports/15383340.htm)

"There's not much we can do about it, but I'm very concerned about that situation," Kubiak said. "I know it's been very frustrating for him. All we can do is be there for him. I'm more concerned about him right now and doing what's right for him."

Kubiak said he plans to meet with Davis, his doctors and agent before Houston's final preseason game Thursday. NFL rosters must be trimmed to 53 players by Saturday, but Kubiak has said he will make his final cuts Friday.

"That's going to be a big call this week," Kubiak said. "It will be a tough decision from a final 53 for us as a team. And we'll make that decision in the best interest of Domanick."

Davis has 3,195 yards and 23 touchdowns in three NFL seasons. If he can't play, Kubiak said rookie sixth-round draft Wali Lundy, who has been impressive in preseason, will be the starter.

He said Lundy and last year's third-round draft pick, Vernand Morency, have already earned spots on the team. Thursday's game against Tampa Bay will be a chance for Kubiak to take a "hard look" at 34-year-old veteran Antowain Smith and rookie Chris Taylor.

"Antowain is fresh. He has not played the last couple of weeks. This is a big night for him," Kubiak said. "We'll look at those two players and see how it goes, but we've got a tough decision to make with that third guy."

aj.
08-28-2006, 08:10 PM
Meeting with the player's agent and doctors the day before cuts doesn't suggest anything like "we're pleased to announce that your client made the team." It looks like PUP at best for DD.

chuckm
08-28-2006, 08:11 PM
Meeting with the player's agent the day before cuts doesn't mean "we're pleased to announce that your client made the team." It looks like PUP at best for DD.

I heard the segment on 610 ... although Kubiak didn't specifically say "PUP", this was the impression I got .....

jerek
08-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Someone was speculating that Dom was done earlier this off-season. I wonder if that wasn't so crazy now.

Kubiak also could have meant the PUP squad...but he never mentioned it. He just said that Davis wasn't a lock to make the 53-man roster.

Been saying it for a weeks now. Not that I want it; I still like Dom and I hope he rides this out on PUP and is back for us, but IMO and according to what I'm hearing, his football days might well be behind him. But Morency/Lundy is more than capable.

ledzeppelin229
08-28-2006, 08:13 PM
So what elevated Lundy ahead of Morency? Morency has looked like the better runner from what I've seen and also seems to be better at blitz pickup. Maybe someone thats been at the practices can shed some light on this subject?

the wonger need food
08-28-2006, 08:32 PM
So what elevated Lundy ahead of Morency? Morency has looked like the better runner from what I've seen and also seems to be better at blitz pickup. Maybe someone thats been at the practices can shed some light on this subject?

I'm confused by this also. Morency looks like a much more polished RB.

aj.
08-28-2006, 08:48 PM
Even if DD was somehow able to make it back this year, his base salary doubles in '07 and I believe he has another fairly significant roster bonus next year. So looking forward it's not just the knee....although if he was 100% healthy and productive this season, then '07 might be a tougher decision. Right now it appears that '06 is in serious doubt, and '07 isn't even on the radar..

Runner
08-28-2006, 09:06 PM
I think there also ramifications with cutting a player that is injured due to the collective bargaining agreement for payout purposes.

I don't think the ramifications are that great. I think it is there to give the low salaried injured players something. I think they get a couple hundred K if they are cut when injured. That might mean a lot to rookie, but I don't think a player like Wade and his millions of dollars in owed guaranteed money noticed much.

gtexan02
08-28-2006, 09:21 PM
I'm confused by this also. Morency looks like a much more polished RB.

I tried to refute this in my other thread. Where is all the blind love for Morency? How is a "more polished" RB? He's played 2 preseason games, and while he well in his first, he only averaged 2.8 ypc in the second one. That was with 13 carries and against the Bronco's 2nd and 3rd string defense!!

So how has he looked better than Lundy?

Texans_Chick
08-28-2006, 10:00 PM
Here is all the info I know on the DD situation:

"Is Domanick Davis Going to Make the Texans 53 Man Roster?" (http://texans.aolsportsblog.com/2006/08/28/is-domanick-davis-going-to-make-the-texans-53-man-roster/)

Tried to put all the info in one place.

This is in the new AOL Sports FanHouse blog (http://texans.aolsportsblog.com/bloggers/stephanie-stradley). (It's in addition to the Chronicle blog--more info in the Texans Tailgate).

aj.
08-28-2006, 10:05 PM
Here is all the info I know on the DD situation:

I've lost track. Do you have access to the team or is this just your opinion added to a compilation of what's become public?

Texans_Chick
08-28-2006, 10:09 PM
I've lost track. Do you have access to the team or is this just your opinion added to a compilation of what's become public?

It's just public information. Most of the traditional media doesn't pay much attention to every utterance the team makes. So it is just filtering through all the stuff that is known publicly and putting it in one place. And then guessing what it means based on what is known.

Hardcore Texan
08-28-2006, 10:33 PM
I tried to refute this in my other thread. Where is all the blind love for Morency? How is a "more polished" RB? He's played 2 preseason games, and while he well in his first, he only averaged 2.8 ypc in the second one. That was with 13 carries and against the Bronco's 2nd and 3rd string defense!!

So how has he looked better than Lundy?

I agree with their assessments. I think Morency has looked a tad more explosive, hits the hole a little faster, and picks up blitzes a lot better than Lundy.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Lundy has looked bad. In fact I have been very pleased with how he has performed. I am estatic that we have 2 good RB's. I just give Morency an edge because he is a better blocker and had a year under his belt and it shows a little.

But I also believe in the coaching staff, so I am sure they are on top of it.

dalemurphy
08-28-2006, 10:46 PM
Despite the low YPC Morency had last night, he converted 3 or 4 3rd/4th and shorts. When you need two yards and get two yards, that's good! He did that very well. It appeared that Lundy had opportunities in the first half for big plays and only got 5 or 6 yards. I like Lundy also, but it just appears that Morency has a little something extra, and he has done very well in pass protection, though he did miss one blitzer last night.

thunderkyss
08-28-2006, 10:48 PM
First & foremost, I must apologize for my mood....... consider me in morning.... after what I just read about DD..... & what is being heavily implied, I no longer care to keep up with Texans news...... I'm going to go find a bottle of something or other, and a dark corner somewhere.

I think it is important to point out, that Kubiak has not been happy at all with our DT situation. One of the main reasons we are putting Williams in at DT so much, is because he get's the best push up the middle. I think TJ is doing his part. But I was wrong about DD.

But as far as a DT, TJ is the only one getting in the backfield. Seth doesn't loose ground, but he doesn't look to be strong enough to shed blockers. And I haven't seen Robaire show up to a game yet. Weaver... he's not a tackle.

anyway......

I'll see you guys when the bottles dry.

Mysteryhunt
08-28-2006, 10:56 PM
i like lundy though i cant really cack it up statistically, i just felt better when he was in there.

Texans_Chick
08-28-2006, 11:05 PM
Here's John McClain's story. Very thorough:
Texans' Davis in danger of being cut
(http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4147469.html)

Each day, Kubiak grows more concerned about Davis' lack of availability during a week in which the roster will be reduced to a final 53 on Friday, one day after the Texans close preseason at home against Tampa Bay.

"I'm very concerned," Kubiak said. "There's not much we can do about it, but I'm very concerned about that situation. It'll be a tough decision for the final 53. We'll make the decision based on what's best for Domanick and the team."

The Texans will have several options. They can make Davis part of the final roster and wait for him to get healthy. They can place him on waivers. They can put him on injured reserve, which means he wouldn't play this season. They also could trade him, which is unlikely because he's damaged goods.

Davis can't be placed on the physically unable to perform list because he passed the team's physical before training camp.

Asked what has to happen for Davis to be on the 53-man roster, Kubiak said, "We have to see something that shows he's making a lot of progress.

"Before the game Thursday, we'll probably have a sit-down with Domanick, the doctors, possibly his agent and everybody involved in the process to see where he is. That's going to be a big call.

"The farther we go without him being on the field, the tougher that decision becomes. And when I say tough, it doesn't necessarily mean that Domanick won't be on the 53-man roster. If he's definitely making progress, and everybody thinks he's going to be able to play, then he will be (on the final roster)."

Davis, who turns 26 in October, was on his way to a third consecutive 1,000-yard season a year ago but came up 24 yards short because of the knee injury. The surgery removed part of his lateral meniscus.

Kaiser Toro
08-28-2006, 11:11 PM
He will be let go in my opinion. Passing the physical was something I was not aware of. Hats off to McClain for relaying an explanation of the situation.

Divebomb
08-28-2006, 11:25 PM
Well one thing is for sure, if Kubiak says he will not think twice about cutting you then you better bet your you know what that he will. Look at the Reggie Bush situation, he said he would take Mario and sure as crap he did LOL! If I were DD I would suck it up and play this week. Heck back in the 80s players played hurt all the time. His knee is sore not torn, he should show some backbone and get out there. If he looses his job then hey, he had his warning and if he thinks it is a bluff by Kubiak then he deserves what he gets.

joetexan
08-28-2006, 11:25 PM
This comes from a site linked by profootballtalk.com, and more importantly, quotes Kubiak:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=1614&line=71617&spln=1

joetexan
08-28-2006, 11:27 PM
Edit - Mods, please delete - I missed the earlier thread. Perhaps the above link could be added.

GoTexans
nonsense.

he's a pro bowl back and still amassed almost a 1,000 yards last year despite missing like 6 games.

when he's healthy and can play he's a 15 carry 90 yard back. he isn't going anywhere.

LohaJat112
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4147469.html

wow, i cant believe it. this is terrible.

texanfan2002114
08-28-2006, 11:29 PM
nonsense.

he's a pro bowl back and still amassed almost a 1,000 yards last year despite missing like 6 games.

when he's healthy and can play he's a 15 carry 90 yard back. he isn't going anywhere.

The problem is that he is not healthy and Kubes is going to do whats best for this team.

edo783
08-29-2006, 12:22 AM
He will be let go in my opinion. Passing the physical was something I was not aware of. Hats off to McClain for relaying an explanation of the situation.

I didn't know about that physical thing either as I expected him to be PUPed. Given the physical thing, I expect that he will be cut. The only other option I think is the IR and that has a lot of money attached to doing it (salary & Bonus I think) and they could wind up in the same position next year and then have to cut him.

uhcougar08
08-29-2006, 01:20 AM
]']We can't cut Davis. I would keep 4 runningbacks because for the sake of loyalty, this man accounted for 75% of offense in the last 4 years. He can play.

I's keep:

Morency
Lundy
Taylor
Davis

Cut Smith!
Loyalty does not win crap. If he can not play, then cut him because he is filling up a roster spot. This is a business, and they are in it to win. If he can not play, that makes him a loser.

infantrycak
08-29-2006, 01:32 AM
If he can not play, that makes him a loser.

No reason to be a vituperative clown because a player in a violent sport ends up with a career ending injury.

eric138
08-29-2006, 08:23 AM
]']We can't cut Davis. I would keep 4 runningbacks because for the sake of loyalty, this man accounted for 75% of offense in the last 4 years. He can play.

I's keep:

Morency
Lundy
Taylor
Davis

Cut Smith!

This sounds like a Capers way of running a team. Davis is my favorite player. I have an autographed game day jersey from him, a custom t-shirt his uncle was making when he was rookie of the year, a white replica autographed jersey, my son's hat (before it was stolen at Reliant) was autographed by him, I have pictures autograpghed by him.. shoot I've even been to lunch with the dude and his friends. He is a great guy and great football player but Kubes knows if he is broke we may need to move on. If Kubes really feels he will get better then he will not cut him.

HomeBred_Texan
08-29-2006, 09:45 AM
nonsense.

Pro-Bowl Back?

You have got to be kidding... He isn't much more than a 3rd stringer on most teams. And now has glass knees.

Cut him and let's move on....

El Tejano
08-29-2006, 11:56 AM
I wonder if any of you think that he may gamble and put DD on waivers. Perhaps with all the hoopla about the knee, other teams wont want him and we can sign him to a lower contract or something?

Anythoughts on that plan?

real
08-29-2006, 12:01 PM
Pro-Bowl Back?

You have got to be kidding... He isn't much more than a 3rd stringer on most teams. And now has glass knees.

Cut him and let's move on....

Dito.

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
08-29-2006, 12:13 PM
Nothing against Domanick but if he is unable to play this season, leaves me asking his durabilty as a back, I would rather have a healthy player, that can play and make a difference for this team, there is nothing Domanick can do from the sidelines........I wish him all the best, but Kubiak needs to make a desicion that is best for the team........

El Tejano
08-29-2006, 12:35 PM
I think if Kubes cuts Dom, alot of other players are never going to get "hurt".

I heard Derick Lewis saying this morning on 1300 the Zone in Austin, that one day DD will be out on the field cutting and moving and everyone is getting excited and the next day he can't even walk.

In my opinion we don't need that kind of inconsistency when we have a new offensive system. The other guys haven't shown they can't do it.

U4ikrob
08-29-2006, 12:52 PM
I wonder if any of you think that he may gamble and put DD on waivers. Perhaps with all the hoopla about the knee, other teams wont want him and we can sign him to a lower contract or something?

Anythoughts on that plan?

I actually mentioned something about this back after the draft and thought he should sit out this year and rehab if he could, maybe they would IR him. But it looks like things were worse than thought and the reality of contact sports has hit.

IMHO we go the waiver route now with DD if he cant go in a few weeks at most. He hasnt shown progress - It's not because he's not a class guy, it's that he cant even practice, so how's he gonna play? I'm guessing the team needs an answer on this one bad ad may feel its better for him to sit and recover then risk a lifetime injury and liability. IF he wants to keep playing and risk it he will try to get back with this team or another this year and have to sign off on it. I hope he recovers, but the outlook is bleak to be realistic at this point.

TexanTom
08-29-2006, 01:22 PM
The Texans will have several options. They can make Davis part of the final roster and wait for him to get healthy. They can place him on waivers. They can put him on injured reserve, which means he wouldn't play this season. They also could trade him, which is unlikely because he's damaged goods.

Davis can't be placed on the physically unable to perform list because he passed the team's physical before training camp.

Not that I don't trust McClain...but is there a source for that besides him? Something about that doesn't quite add up.

What happens if a player gets hurt during training camp? He can't play at the start of the regular season but will be able to by midseason - that is the whole point of the PUP, is it not? I'll be the first to admit I don't fully understand the difference between the IR and the PUP except it seems the IR means you're out for the year and the PUP doesn't.

I did a quick search through the CBA (available on www.nflpa.org) and nothing I saw there seemed to imply passing a physical before training camp meant you can't be placed on the PUP.

Especially because the bone bruise isn't considered to be related to the offseason surgery - something doesn't add up to me. Anyone know more?

J-Man
08-29-2006, 01:49 PM
Not that I don't trust McClain...but is there a source for that besides him? Something about that doesn't quite add up.

What happens if a player gets hurt during training camp? He can't play at the start of the regular season but will be able to by midseason - that is the whole point of the PUP, is it not? I'll be the first to admit I don't fully understand the difference between the IR and the PUP except it seems the IR means you're out for the year and the PUP doesn't.

I did a quick search through the CBA (available on www.nflpa.org) and nothing I saw there seemed to imply passing a physical before training camp meant you can't be placed on the PUP.

Especially because the bone bruise isn't considered to be related to the offseason surgery - something doesn't add up to me. Anyone know more?

Believe it or not a very similar story like this was discussed on the Mike&Mike show this morning with Mark Schlereth and Mike Golic. Golic's last season was in Miami and he had offseason knee surgery and reported to camp. He said that before anyone could take the field in camp they had to be medically cleared on the morning of the first workout. He said that his knee still bothered him but he wanted to practice and test it out and signed the clearence sheet. He was immediatly escorted to the GMs office without being able to go practice and found out he was being cut. Basically if you say you are injured and aren't cleared to practice then you can't be cut...ala Bennie Joppru. The minute that Golic signed the waiver he was toast and thats all the Miami front office was waiting on. Schlereth indicated that he had seen similar circumstances as well.

aj.
08-29-2006, 02:01 PM
Prior to training camp, teams can designate players for the PUP so they don't count against the roster limit. It's usually done for players who are recovering from off-season surgery and whose recovery times are several months.

In other words PUP is for a player who fails his physical at the start of training camp (like Mathis and Wong). Before the season starts, those players can be brought back at any time, but prior to the start of the season the team needs to make a decision on the player - either to bring them back to active 53 status or put them on reserve-PUP, or IR them.

If they go on reserve PUP the player can't practice for the first 5 weeks of the season and the team has to make a decision on the player's future after Week 5. If the team thinks the player can make it back to active status, then the player can start practicing during a window between Week 6 and Week 10. If they are deemed healthy during that window, they can then be brought back on the 53 man roster during that period. If they still aren't ready by Week 10 you have to IR them. If you bring the player back on the active 53, someone else has to be waived.

DD and Faggins were considered healthy on the first day of camp so neither are eligible for PUP. If you get hurt in camp, you're basically carried as an injured player like you are during the regular season and there isn't a roster credit. So Faggins can't be PUP'd either and that's why he will take up a spot on the 53 even though he won't be ready until Week 4-5 at the earliest.

At least that's the way I understand it -- the Week 6-10 thing may be off by a week or so ... I'd have to check on that part but it's something like that.

eric138
08-29-2006, 02:06 PM
I think if Kubes cuts Dom, alot of other players are never going to get "hurt".

I heard Derick Lewis saying this morning on 1300 the Zone in Austin, that one day DD will be out on the field cutting and moving and everyone is getting excited and the next day he can't even walk.

In my opinion we don't need that kind of inconsistency when we have a new offensive system. The other guys haven't shown they can't do it.

Well there you go then, there is only 16 games a year. he should be able to play the game then rest and ice it until the next game.

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
08-29-2006, 02:09 PM
The doctors even stated that his knee is ok, but the pain will still be there, I guess forever, that brings a big Question Mark about Domanicks durability?

Marcus
08-29-2006, 02:10 PM
deleted

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-29-2006, 03:10 PM
This is an entirely new regime here in Houston. What loyalty do they have to Domanick Davis? He hasn't played a single game for Gary Kubiak.

run-david-run
08-29-2006, 03:20 PM
What i dont understand is how can a bone bruise be such a problem? The article mentions that it is unrelated to the surgery. Shouldnt that mean that once the bruise clears up, he should be good to go?

Wow, the idea of DD being cut is shocking to me....he was the Texans, at least the offense, for the last three years...

They dont kid when they say its a bussiness

GP
08-29-2006, 03:37 PM
I am going to gamble here and say:

DD makes the roster. DD has limited practices, and DD tries to do a Steve McNair and just play on Sundays.

I think when it comes down to it, DD wants to play...and DD wants to win. He has "heart" and I think he's going to get it done.

Now, if he gets re-injured or cannot gut it out in the midst of coming back...then, so be it. But I think he makes the tough call, and I think Kubiak gets this player back on the field because he's been more of a leader than almost any other player on our team. He sucked stones unless he was out there. He grinded out extra inches on his carries when others would have fallen short. I just think he gives it one more big push, and I think Kubiak grants it to him. I think we release Smith and keep DD, Morency, Lundy, and try to pick up one more back off waivers.

Guess we'll see, eh?

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-29-2006, 03:41 PM
If Domanick Davis doesn't practice, then he will not play. He would be the 4th back on the depth chart. It would be a waste of roster space. Remember, he has ZERO experience running behind this revamped offensive line.

texan279
08-29-2006, 04:03 PM
I am curious as to how cutting Davis would affect us in regards to the salary cap...

Marcus
08-29-2006, 04:05 PM
If Domanick Davis doesn't practice, then he will not play. He would be the 4th back on the depth chart. It would be a waste of roster space. Remember, he has ZERO experience running behind this revamped offensive line.
I think he's history. It wasn't very hard to read between the lines listening to Kubes on the radio.

I posted about 3 weeks ago that I didn't think DD would ever play another down in the NFL, and some reacted as if I took a gun and shot their family dog. When I heard that the doctors told DD that his knee was never going to feel like nornal again, I knew right then it was over. Another hint that Kubiak will be sitting down with Dom, the doctors, and his agent . . well . .

texan279
08-29-2006, 04:08 PM
I pretty much knew after 6 months of rehabbing after a knee scope that Davis would never be the same if he ever played again at all...

HOU-TEX
08-29-2006, 04:11 PM
I think he's history. It wasn't very hard to read between the lines listening to Kubes on the radio.

I posted about 3 weeks ago that I didn't think DD would ever play another down in the NFL, and some reacted as if I took a gun and shot their family dog. When I heard that the doctors told DD that his knee was never going to feel like nornal again, I knew right then it was over. Another hint that Kubiak will be sitting down with Dom, the doctors, and his agent . . well . .

I was saying something similar as well. I was saying that we'd be lucky to see him come back this year. I was kind of expecting bad news from the DD camp, so as a result, I will not be upset as some others will be. We'll be fine without him.:twocents:

GP
08-29-2006, 05:58 PM

uhhh....we ran a smaller version of a zone blocking scheme all last year.

he'd do fine.

texan279
08-29-2006, 05:59 PM
uhhh....we ran a smaller version of a zone blocking scheme all last year.

he'd do fine.

But Kubiak did say no practice no play...but I see what you are saying

Texian
08-29-2006, 08:28 PM
Read today's "Open Locker Room Quotes....

Kubiak on (on cutting Domanick Davis) ďThe idea of cutting Domanick has not even played a factor. I donít know where that came from. The decision is strictly if his knee is going to be healthy enough to play. If his knee is not healthy enough to play, if that is the decision thatís made about him, then heís looking at an I.R. (injury reserve) season. If he is going to be able to make it back, then he is going to be on this football team. The other choice (cutting Davis) has never been a factor. Domanick Davis is a big part of this football team as Iíve said all along weíre going to do whatís right for him.Ē

Marcus
08-29-2006, 10:27 PM
Well, next year, about this time, after DD sits out the entire 2006 season on IR, will we hear the same doctors saying that DD's knee will never be right, and that he's going to have to play with the pain???

Something is missing here.

tsip
08-29-2006, 10:43 PM
Well, next year, about this time, after DD sits out the entire 2006 season on IR, will we hear the same doctors saying that DD's knee will never be right, and that he's going to have to play with the pain???

Something is missing here.

The problem I have is that DD has flat out said-despite what the DRs told him-he will not play until his knee feels like it use to. Certainly, players play with pain all the time, but not DD. His history with the team is a testament to this fact, so what can the Texans be thinking? If the pain is not going to go away and the knee is as good as it's going to get, the ball is in DD's 'court.'

I've already posted the article about Red Sox pitcher David Wells, who was diagnosed in June with the same injury and prognosis. Wells came back in July and has been pitching sense...IMO, if this is strictly a 'mind' issue with DD, the Texans are in a no-win situation if he won't play with pain.

thunderkyss
08-29-2006, 11:25 PM
This is nothing at all...... DD getting some needed rest.

He'll be ready to go Sept 10.....

texan279
08-29-2006, 11:29 PM
This is nothing at all...... DD getting some needed rest.

He'll be ready to go Sept 10.....

I hope this is sarcasm...

thunderkyss
08-29-2006, 11:37 PM
I hope this is sarcasm...

You hope I'm being sarcastic about being optomistic about our Franchise runningback being healthy to start the season?? :confused:

Do you think about these things before you hit the Submit Reply button??

texan279
08-29-2006, 11:45 PM
You hope I'm being sarcastic about being optomistic about our Franchise runningback being healthy to start the season?? :confused:

You're a Davis homer. I have seen you try to compare him to elite backs in the NFL, I have seen you call him "special" several times. Truth is Davis is a serviceable back and it's not like the team could not go on without him if he goes on IR or has to sit awhile. We have already seen two other backs step up this preseason who would be able to fill DD's shoes and then some based on what we have seen so far. I guess I just look at things realistically since the guy has been dealing with this knee for almost 9 months now and you seem to think he will magically be ready to go in two weeks...

Marcus
08-29-2006, 11:49 PM

Oh, so is that what that was . . . a blind optimistic wishful thinking rant instead of a realistic expectation?

You better go back into that dark place with your bottle . . . and get your mind right.:rolleyes:

thunderkyss
08-30-2006, 12:35 AM
You're a Davis homer. I have seen you try to compare him to elite backs in the NFL, I have seen you call him "special" several times. Truth is Davis is a serviceable back and it's not like the team could not go on without him if he goes on IR or has to sit awhile. We have already seen two other backs step up this preseason who would be able to fill DD's shoes and then some based on what we have seen so far. I guess I just look at things realistically since the guy has been dealing with this knee for almost 9 months now and you seem to think he will magically be ready to go in two weeks...

We've seen two rookie Runningbacks play well in the Preseason... Vernand morency is just a back-up(you remember that argument don't you).

How many times have you seen guys in preseason show up to win a roster spot, but come the regular season when the big boys hit for real, & play at 100% on every down, how many times, can those same guys not hit the holes they hit in the preseason.

DD has done it in the NFL between September & December for this team, with McKinney, Weary, Pitts, Wand & Wiegart in front of him, David Behind him, and Aj split wide to the right. He's done it against Tennessee, Jacksonville, Indianappolis, Baltimore. He's done it on gameday, when it counts.

Ask anybody about the Texans in 2005, and what will they say?? "They're going to get David Carr killed, but at least they've got a running game."

thunderkyss
08-30-2006, 12:38 AM
Oh, so is that what that was . . . a blind optimistic wishful thinking rant instead of a realistic expectation?

You better go back into that dark place with your bottle . . . and get your mind right.:rolleyes:

So I guess you don't believe Hinds Ward, Terrell Owens, or SteveSmith will be able to play in '06?? They've all had injuries that have kept them out of training camp.S.Smith, I believe only made a week of TC.... T.O. has missed over 20 practices, and reaggravated his hamstring.

and this is just silly old hamstring injuries, not knee surgery.

Let's be realistic, if you play FF, dump HinesWard, T.O., and S.Smith, because they obviously won't be playing. need to put them on IR.

tsip
08-30-2006, 12:44 AM
We've seen two rookie Runningbacks play well in the Preseason... Vernand morency is just a back-up(you remember that argument don't you).

How many times have you seen guys in preseason show up to win a roster spot, but come the regular season when the big boys hit for real, & play at 100% on every down, how many times, can those same guys not hit the holes they hit in the preseason.

DD has done it in the NFL between September & December for this team, with McKinney, Weary, Pitts, Wand & Wiegart in front of him, David Behind him, and Aj split wide to the right. He's done it against Tennessee, Jacksonville, Indianappolis, Baltimore. He's done it on gameday, when it counts.

Ask anybody about the Texans in 2005, and what will they say?? "They're going to get David Carr killed, but at least they've got a running game."

...you're missing a 'major' point---DRs say DD has to play with pain but DD says he won't---so what happens now? IR for a year?...same scenario...nothing changes until DD alters his mindset. How DD played his 1st 3 yrs is a non-issue, as is the play of RB's in pre-season---will DD play with pain?

thunderkyss
08-30-2006, 12:54 AM
...you're missing a 'major' point---DRs say DD has to play with pain but DD says he won't---so what happens now? IR for a year?...same scenario...nothing changes until DD alters his mindset. How DD played his 1st 3 yrs is a non-issue, as is the play of RB's in pre-season---will DD play with pain?

Major point, DD will be playing come Sept10.

tsip
08-30-2006, 03:48 AM
Major point, DD will be playing come Sept10.

"We've got a tough decision to make with that third guy," Kubiak said. "For (Davis) to miss all this time, it's not like all of a sudden he's going to jump up there and play."

Coach C.
08-30-2006, 04:05 AM
Kubiak, DD, his agent, and the doctors will meet Thursday or Friday and discuss what is best for DD and the team. He could go on PUP or he could end up on the IR. He will be with the team in some compacity so dont get all up in arms. This comes from Kubiak on the Texans Website.

tsip
08-30-2006, 04:07 AM
Kubiak, DD, his agent, and the doctors will meet Thursday or Friday and discuss what is best for DD and the team. He could go on PUP or he could end up on the IR. He will be with the team in some compacity so dont get all up in arms. This comes from Kubiak on the Texans Website.

...can't go on PUP because he passed physical

Coach C.
08-30-2006, 04:10 AM
He can go to the PUP if the doctors re evaluate his knee. Hence why they are meeting again. If the doctors determine they can put the foam to increase padding within the knee then they will and he can be placed back on PUP. Personally I think he is either going to be able to play around the 3rd game or he will be on IR like Mork said earlier in Training Camp.

thunderkyss
08-30-2006, 08:03 AM

And I'm being optomistic about the meeting. I've got my fingers crossed, my rabbit's foot in my pocket, a horse shoe in my bag, I've dumped a thousand pennies in the wishing well, and I wrote a letter to Santa.

texan279
08-30-2006, 09:57 AM

Our rushing offense was ranked 15th in '05, we had an average rushing offense. Davis only accounted for half of our total rushing yards in '05 so it's not like we would not have a running game without him. And yeah, DD has done it against the teams you mentioned, 2 100+ yard games against Tennessee in '05 (ranked 22nd against the run in '05), 1 100+ yard game against Baltimore in '05 (ranked 9th against the run in '05), 1 100+ yard game against Tennessee in '04 (ranked 18th against the rush in '04), one 100+ yard game against Indy in '04 (ranked 24th against the run in '04). And you failed to mention the games when DD hasn't "done it on gameday", like the games where he averaged less than 3 yards per carry. And didn't Morency and Lundy play some time against 1st team defenses? Or the "big boys"? Morency has already almost matched Davis' career long run in 24 carries this preseason and has already matched Davis' TD total from last season with 2 TD's this preseason in 24 carries, all that from just a "backup".

HOU-TEX
08-30-2006, 10:06 AM
And I'm being optomistic about the meeting. I've got my fingers crossed, my rabbit's foot in my pocket, a horse shoe in my bag, I've dumped a thousand pennies in the wishing well, and I wrote a letter to Santa.

Optomistic or Wishful thinking?

Either way, he's done for at least half the season if not the whole season. Now we have some fellas that came to play and are performing well. Let's get it on!!:yahoo:

thunderkyss
08-30-2006, 10:58 AM
And didn't Morency and Lundy play some time against 1st team defenses? Or the "big boys"? Morency has already almost matched Davis' career long run in 24 carries this preseason and has already matched Davis' TD total from last season with 2 TD's this preseason in 24 carries, all that from just a "backup".

try to read the whole post...... my point was the preseason, even game three isn't the same as a regular season game. Just because someone did this or that in the preseason, is no indication that they will do it in the regular season.

Lundy & Morency are trying to win the starting job. Once one of them get's the start, how do we know they'll continue to give 110% once they have the starting job??

Veteran starters on the defense may not be giving 100%. They know they have a job, why risk a preseason injury??

IT's the preseason.

thunderkyss
08-30-2006, 10:59 AM
Optomistic or Wishful thinking?

Either way, he's done for at least half the season if not the whole season. Now we have some fellas that came to play and are performing well. Let's get it on!!:yahoo:

Well, I'm hoping our QB gets his head out his a55, what's the difference??

texan279
08-30-2006, 11:02 AM
try to read the whole post...... my point was the preseason, even game three isn't the same as a regular season game. Just because someone did this or that in the preseason, is no indication that they will do it in the regular season.

Lundy & Morency are trying to win the starting job. Once one of them get's the start, how do we know they'll continue to give 110% once they have the starting job??

Veteran starters on the defense may not be giving 100%. They know they have a job, why risk a preseason injury??

IT's the preseason.

That was my point. It is the preseason, and guys are fighting for jobs, not just Morency and Lundy, but the defenders they are going up against as well, so more than likely most if not all players on the field are giving it 110%. It's not like Morency and Lundy are going up against NFLE guys. By the way, everytime you reply to one of my posts, you don't have to start your post with your little quips. You should relax and try not to take things so personally.

thunderkyss
08-30-2006, 11:05 AM
That was my point. It is the preseason, and guys are fighting for jobs, not just Morency and Lundy, but the defenders they are going up against as well, so more than likely most if not all players on the field are giving it 110%. It's not like Morency and Lundy are going up against NFLE guys. By the way, everytime you reply to one of my posts, you don't have to start your post with your little quips. You should relax and try not to take things so personally.

The point is every preseason, there is always someone who looks like the next best thing.... come the regular season, they don't show up.

DD has been there for us during the regular season.

& my little quips are to point out that you seem to only read parts of my post, and ignore other parts.... let's assume.... defensive starters aren't playing 100%... etc....

real
08-30-2006, 11:08 AM

Thats is when you get hurt...Not going full speed...But C'mon TKyss....What defender is actually going to be on the field and not go all out every play...it doesn't make sense...thats like a running back not going full speed...how you ask ? because just like a running back, defenders have someone trying to knock the hell out of them every play...And I know everyone on the Texans have given it there all every game this pre-season...So if you are suggesting that We couldn't score a point on Denvers starting defense, or St. Louis' defense and they weren't even going full speed, that would make your prediction of 13-3 seem just ridiculous...

texan279
08-30-2006, 11:08 AM
The point is every preseason, there is always someone who looks like the next best thing.... come the regular season, they don't show up.

DD has been there for us during the regular season.

& my little quips are to point out that you seem to only read parts of my post, and ignore other parts.... let's assume.... defensive starters aren't playing 100%... etc....

Why assume anything? Why not just discuss the facts?

thunderkyss
08-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Why assume anything? Why not just discuss the facts?

then that should have been your first response.

GP
08-30-2006, 12:11 PM

Over the course of the past few years, only three (or four) RBs are better than him. NFL Network or ESPN (can't remember which) showed this on a recent show, showed that Domanick Davis is much more than just an average running back as you are claiming.

Does it mean we cannot survive without him? Nope. But it means that he IS worth the risk.

There are hundreds of other run-of-the-mill players in the NFL that would not be worth the risk of placing on I.R. if necessary to keep them on a team's roster. But IMO, DD is a guy that you don't just cut loose to free up one roster spot. He gets at least the benefit of doubt in my book, and IMO deserves the chance to work it out on his own.

It's like someone said: We kept Joppru for 18 years without any promise of him coming back. To just cut DD loose over a lingering knee problem is not in the works for a team spearheaded by Bob McNair.

A lot of this "Cut him loose" talk by some of you guys is nothing more than macho-man syndrome (In my most humble opinion). You want to look like you're capable of being the Grim Reaper Ice-Water-In-The-Veins NFL Owner who can make the tough call for the good of the team. We get it, OK? You care about winning, and to hell with anyone that cannot pull their weight. Geez, I'd like to be stuck on a deserted island with limited supplies with all you "Cut him loose" guys...I'd have a knife in my back and dumped over a cliff within the hour. You got this going for you: You'd make a great player on CBS' "Survivor" show.

Go Texans! And that includes Domanick Davis............:poker:

infantrycak
08-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Over the course of the past few years, only three (or four) RBs are better than him. NFL Network or ESPN (can't remember which) showed this on a recent show, showed that Domanick Davis is much more than just an average running back as you are claiming.

It was on NFLNetwork and what they said was he was one of five RB's who had accumulated more than 2500 yds rushing and 1000 yds receiving over the last three years. The point they were making was he was a productive duel threat not that he was better than guys not on the list like Larry Johnson, Shaun Alexander, Clinton Portis, etc.

thunderkyss
08-30-2006, 12:24 PM

Does it mean we cannot survive without him? Nope. But it means that he IS worth the risk.

There are hundreds of other run-of-the-mill players in the NFL that would not be worth the risk of placing on I.R. if necessary to keep them on a team's roster. But IMO, DD is a guy that you don't just cut loose to free up one roster spot. He gets at least the benefit of doubt in my book, and IMO deserves the chance to work it out on his own.

It's like someone said: We kept Joppru for 18 years without any promise of him coming back. To just cut DD loose over a lingering knee problem is not in the works for a team spearheaded by Bob McNair.

A lot of this "Cut him loose" talk by some of you guys is nothing more than macho-man syndrome (In my most humble opinion). You want to look like you're capable of being the Grim Reaper Ice-Water-In-The-Veins NFL Owner who can make the tough call for the good of the team. We get it, OK? You care about winning, and to hell with anyone that cannot pull their weight. Geez, I'd like to be stuck on a deserted island with limited supplies with all you "Cut him loose" guys...I'd have a knife in my back and dumped over a cliff within the hour. You got this going for you: You'd make a great player on CBS' "Survivor" show.

I'm sorry GP, but I've given out too much rep in the last 24 hours. but as soon as I can start handing it out again, you're first on my list.

texan279
08-30-2006, 12:25 PM

So over the course of the last few years you are saying out of these backs listed, you would take Davis over eight or nine out of the twelve of them listed?

Shaun Alexander
Tiki Barber
Larry Johnson
Clinton Portis
Edgerrin James
LaDanian Tomlinson
Rudi Johnson
Jamal Lewis
Fred Taylor
Curtis Martin
Ahman Green
Priest Holmes

Davis is a good back who lacks speed and has trouble picking up blocks, but he is not in the class of the backs I listed.

Vinny
08-30-2006, 12:26 PM
It was on NFLNetwork and what they said was he was one of five RB's who had accumulated more than 2500 yds rushing and 1000 yds receiving over the last three years. The point they were making was he was a productive duel threat not that he was better than guys not on the list like Larry Johnson, Shaun Alexander, Clinton Portis, etc.bingo

thunderkyss
08-30-2006, 12:28 PM
So over the course of the last few years you are saying out of these backs listed, you would take Davis over eight or nine out of the twelve of them listed?

Shaun Alexander
Tiki Barber
Larry Johnson
Clinton Portis
Edgerrin James
LaDanian Tomlinson
Rudi Johnson
Jamal Lewis
Fred Taylor
Curtis Martin
Ahman Green
Priest Holmes

Davis is a good back who lacks speed and has trouble picking up blocks, but he is not in the class of the backs I listed.

I'd take Davis over everyone of those guys except LT & LJ. Easy.
For everyone of those guys you could put the words......... "arguably the best offensive line" behind their names for the years that they produced. Can't put those words behind DDs name for any year he has toted the rock in H-Town....... more like "the worst offensive line period"

The exact stat..... show.... GP was talking about said over the last three years.

texan279
08-30-2006, 12:29 PM
It was on NFLNetwork and what they said was he was one of five RB's who had accumulated more than 2500 yds rushing and 1000 yds receiving over the last three years. The point they were making was he was a productive duel threat not that he was better than guys not on the list like Larry Johnson, Shaun Alexander, Clinton Portis, etc.

Thank you for clarifying since I did not see the program.

texan279
08-30-2006, 12:30 PM

LMAO. You would seriously take Davis over all of these guys?

Shaun Alexander
Tiki Barber
Clinton Portis
Edgerrin James
Rudi Johnson
Jamal Lewis
Fred Taylor
Curtis Martin
Ahman Green
Priest Holmes

GP
08-30-2006, 12:33 PM

Shaun Alexander
Tiki Barber
Larry Johnson
Clinton Portis
Edgerrin James
LaDanian Tomlinson
Rudi Johnson
Jamal Lewis
Fred Taylor
Curtis Martin
Ahman Green
Priest Holmes

The last five on your list are worse than DD IMO. Rudi and DD are so comparable, I think they are related. The first six on yor list are better than DD. And those six backs are on six teams, and that means IMO that DD is better than the remaining 24 backs on the remaining 24 teams.

Is that not good enough for you? Is that not worth sitting out a year? I mean, sometimes I think that we are so hardcore about every football season that we can't see past the current season, as if there might not be NFL to play or watch next year so we better get the guy on the field or cut him loose because this is the last year of football. Come on man, get some perspective on this: We keep a TE for eons who never even played a game, but was always well-liked and held in esteem for his talent level by Texans personnel...and you don't want to give DD a chance to rehab for one year? (sigh)

HOU-TEX
08-30-2006, 12:35 PM
For everyone of those guys you could put the words......... "arguably the best offensive line" behind their names for the years that they produced. Can't put those words behind DDs name for any year he has toted the rock in H-Town....... more like "the worst offensive line period"

The exact stat..... show.... GP was talking about said over the last three years.

You should go on the comedy tour.:rofl:

texan279
08-30-2006, 12:37 PM

I am not getting into a stats argument over this. Anyone who has watched football in the last 3 years knows what kind of backs these guys are that I listed. Now you are saying we have the worst offensive line in the NFL but earlier in another thread you talked about how good our running game was last season. Flip flopping again to try and prove your points.

thunderkyss
08-30-2006, 12:37 PM
LMAO. You would seriously take Davis over all of these guys?

Shaun Alexander
Tiki Barber
Clinton Portis
Edgerrin James
Rudi Johnson
Jamal Lewis
Fred Taylor
Curtis Martin
Ahman Green
Priest Holmes

LMAO............ yeah.

thunderkyss
08-30-2006, 12:40 PM
I am not getting into a stats argument over this. Anyone who has watched football in the last 3 years knows what kind of backs these guys are that I listed. Now you are saying we have the worst offensive line in the NFL but earlier in another thread you talked about how good our running game was last season. Flip flopping again to try and prove your points.

1+1=2

texan279
08-30-2006, 12:41 PM
The last five on your list are worse than DD IMO. Rudi and DD are so comparable, I think they are related. The first six on yor list are better than DD. And those six backs are on six teams, and that means IMO that DD is better than the remaining 24 backs on the remaining 24 teams.

Is that not good enough for you? Is that not worth sitting out a year? I mean, sometimes I think that we are so hardcore about every football season that we can't see past the current season, as if there might not be NFL to play or watch next year so we better get the guy on the field or cut him loose because this is the last year of football. Come on man, get some perspective on this: We keep a TE for eons who never even played a game, but was always well-liked and held in esteem for his talent level by Texans personnel...and you don't want to give DD a chance to rehab for one year? (sigh)

You are honestly saying that these guys were worse than DD over the last three seasons? :ok:

Jamal Lewis
Fred Taylor
Curtis Martin
Ahman Green
Priest Holmes

GP
08-30-2006, 12:42 PM

I never said that they were saying he is "better" than those guys.

I'm the only one pulling up "evidence" here to support my standpoint. Anybody else doing that? Anybody else here posting what the analysts are saying in the sports media? Or is this all just "our humble opinions that we're arguing against one another?"

Point is this: DD is not a no-name back in Cleveland or Detroit or any one of the multitude of other NFL teams who have a merry-go-round stable of RBs that they switch out each year. Domanick Davis is a guy who gets a chance on I.R. and it isn't going to doom our team if he's out. And it isn't going to doom our team if he comes back and gets the starting the job.

If DD did THAT well under Capers' impotent offense, what could he do in Kubiak's system? He'd do great. And that's why Kubiak is coming out publicly to squelch the rumors that DD is "facing the idea of maybe getting cut." Kubiak can see what I see: A running back who can do just fine in his system.

texan279
08-30-2006, 12:43 PM
1+1=2

If you are trying to imply that DD made the running game happen, then why are you attributing the other backs I listed success to their offensive lines and trying to make out like DD is the saviour of our running game? By the way, DD accounted for half of our rushing yards as a team last season.

GP
08-30-2006, 12:45 PM
You are honestly saying that these guys were worse than DD over the last three seasons? :ok:

Jamal Lewis
Fred Taylor
Curtis Martin
Ahman Green
Priest Holmes

Ummmm...how many playoff games do ALL of those guys have under their belt over the entire past three years? Do the math for me. Shouldn't take long.

Yes, I would take DD over those guys. Again: Get some perspective on this, OK? The top six backs on your list are great backs. DD is tied with Rudi IMO as probably the seventh-best back over the past three years. For DD to have the success he's had, under the playground coaching of Capers & Co., is truly remarkable. And it hasn't gone unnoticed by many in the sports media and in the NFL.

If DD were cut, there are probably 24 other NFL teams who would at least have an emergency meeting to hammer out if they should take a risk on him or not.

I think a lot of times, we get caught up in looking at our players' "worth" to the team by looking through the prism of our record, or our current status on the power rankings. And that's a testimonial to just how awful our coaching had been: It made everyone look awful. Of course, DD still put on a show when he was in a game. That's abot the one consistent bright spot through all this. But I know, i know....he's a serviceable back who'll never be anything more than average.

texan279
08-30-2006, 12:45 PM

I'm the only one pulling up "evidence" here to support my standpoint. Anybody else doing that? Anybody else here posting what the analysts are saying in the sports media? Or is this all just "our humble opinions that we're arguing against one another?"

Point is this: DD is not a no-name back in Cleveland or Detroit or any one of the multitude of other NFL teams who have a merry-go-round stable of RBs that they switch out each year. Domanick Davis is a guy who gets a chance on I.R. and it isn't going to doom our team if he's out. And it isn't going to doom our team if he comes back and gets the starting the job.

If DD did THAT well under Capers' impotent offense, what could he do in Kubiak's system? He'd do great. And that's why Kubiak is coming out publicly to squelch the rumors that DD is "facing the idea of maybe getting cut." Kubiak can see what I see: A running back who can do just fine in his system.

Are you calling what analysts say evidence? If we should trust what the "analysts" say, are you saying we should have drafted Bush?

texan279
08-30-2006, 12:46 PM
Ummmm...how many playoff games do ALL of those guys have under their belt over the entire past three years? Do the math for me. Shouldn't take long.

Yes, I would take DD over those guys. Again: Get some perspective on this, OK? The top six backs on your list are great backs. DD is tied with Rudi IMO as probably the seventh-best back over the past three years.

What in the heck does playoff appearances have to do with the success of a running back? If you want to look at it that way, how many does DD have? Zero? You and TK must be hanging out today smoking something.

infantrycak
08-30-2006, 12:50 PM

Over the course of the past few years, only three (or four) RBs are better than him.

Fine--all I was doing was telling what I heard them say which contrasted with the conclusion you reached.

When healthy DD is a better than average, very versatile RB. Obviously there is a huge issue with his health and career at this point. I have no problem with him going on IR if the group decides he has a better than 75% shot at playing some time in the future.

real
08-30-2006, 12:52 PM
DD is hurt and probably(most likely) will not play this season...What can he do for us standing next to Troy Calhoun??? I'm not understanding this devotion to DD from a football perspective.....Explain to me from a football perspective how DD is going to contribute to this team now or in the future...IMO, it's purely emotional reasons that people are so hung up on DD....

thunderkyss
08-30-2006, 12:53 PM
If you are trying to imply that DD made the running game happen, then why are you attributing the other backs I listed success to their offensive lines and trying to make out like DD is the saviour of our running game? By the way, DD accounted for half of our rushing yards as a team last season.

did you say half??

texan279
08-30-2006, 12:54 PM
did you say half??

Yes half.

Grid
08-30-2006, 12:57 PM
Id put Rudi ahead of DD and id tie DD with most of those 5 backs there.

Why? Injuries. DD has the same problem that those 5 bottom backs do.. too many injuries. I think if all of those guys had stayed health (and out of jail) DD would be considered "not as good" as them. Priest Holmes and Curtis Martin for sure would be better, Ahman Green as well (imo). Fred Taylor has consistently been a better back than DD when he is healthy, Jamal Lewis...eh...he did have that monster couple of seasons.. its possible though that he would be under DD.

Now, if DD stayed healthy, I think he could be considered better than some of the backs on the list. I could see DD on the same "level" as Tiki Barber, Clinton Portis, and Edge.

But he doesnt stay healthy.. so he cant be considered "as good as them" based on what he does when he IS healthy.

BTW..I rate Rudi above DD not because he is a better back (I think DD is better) but because he stays healthier.

Personally id hate to lose DD.. he has been a big asset for this team..he has been a team player and has worked his butt off to give us what little competitive edge we have had over the last few years. But from the business side of things, you gotta look at his injury, and the time he has missed, and what we have in Morency and Lundy... and make the tough decision.

If we do cut him.. ill chalk it up to another casualty of the Capers era. Like Aaron Glenn, David Carr's potential, and the 2005 season.

GP
08-30-2006, 12:57 PM
Fine--all I was doing was telling what I heard them say which contrasted with the conclusion you reached.

When healthy DD is a better than average, very versatile RB. Obviously there is a huge issue with his health and career at this point. I have no problem with him going on IR if the group decides he has a better than 75% shot at playing some time in the future.

The analysts said (by showing a graphic on the screen) that Domanick is a player who is in elite company. I couldn't remember the category, but the fact that they took the time to research and come to the conclusion that Domanick is more than just an average running back confirms what I think: He's not a guy you look at and go "Oh well, see ya' later. Thanks for the memories."

GP
08-30-2006, 01:00 PM
Id put Rudi ahead of DD and id tie DD with most of those 5 backs there.

Why? Injuries. DD has the same problem that those 5 bottom backs do.. too many injuries. I think if all of those guys had stayed health (and out of jail) DD would be considered "not as good" as them. Priest Holmes and Curtis Martin for sure would be better, Ahman Green as well (imo). Fred Taylor has consistently been a better back than DD when he is healthy, Jamal Lewis...eh...he did have that monster couple of seasons.. its possible though that he would be under DD.

Now, if DD stayed healthy, I think he could be considered better than some of the backs on the list. I could see DD on the same "level" as Tiki Barber, Clinton Portis, and Edge.

But he doesnt stay healthy.. so he cant be considered "as good as them" based on what he does when he IS healthy.

BTW..I rate Rudi above DD not because he is a better back (I think DD is better) but because he stays healthier.

Personally id hate to lose DD.. he has been a big asset for this team..he has been a team player and has worked his butt off to give us what little competitive edge we have had over the last few years. But from the business side of things, you gotta look at his injury, and the time he has missed, and what we have in Morency and Lundy... and make the tough decision.

If we do cut him.. ill chalk it up to another casualty of the Capers era. Like Aaron Glenn, David Carr's potential, and the 2005 season.

Rudi is healthier? I had him on my fantasy team last year and spent HOURS every week pouring over the Bengals message board, team site, KFFL.com, all the sports media, just trying to see if he would be playing any at all. From what I recall, he was almost always a game-time decision. Throw in the fact that Chris Perry is hot on his heels, producing when he's on the field, and you have a situation (IMO) where the Begals are beginning to gradually spread the ball around to a guy like Perry more and more.

texan279
08-30-2006, 01:00 PM
The analysts said (by showing a graphic on the screen) that Domanick is a player who is in elite company. I couldn't remember the category, but the fact that they took the time to research and come to the conclusion that Domanick is more than just an average running back confirms what I think: He's not a guy you look at and go "Oh well, see ya' later. Thanks for the memories."

And like Vinny says, you cannot base performance on stats. Davis does nothing spectacular on the field, he just goes out and does his job.

real
08-30-2006, 01:07 PM

Value wise...Where would you put DD compared to the rest of the team...(assuming he was healthy)

*My list is based on what the player brings to the team, and how much we would miss them if the were absent

My List:

1)Andre Johnson
2)D.Rob
3)Eric Moulds
4)Mario
5)Demeco
6)Flannagan
7)DD(I think this is being generous)

..............JMO......................

real
08-30-2006, 01:08 PM
Rudi is healthier? I had him on my fantasy team last year and spent HOURS every week pouring over the Bengals message board, team site, KFFL.com, all the sports media, just trying to see if he would be playing any at all. From what I recall, he was almost always a game-time decision. Throw in the fact that Chris Perry is hot on his heels, producing when he's on the field, and you have a situation (IMO) where the Begals are beginning to gradually spread the ball around to a guy like Perry more and more.

Rudi=Pro Bowl
DD=Injured reserve

...the end

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-30-2006, 01:11 PM
thunderkyss has officially lost his mind.

Vinny
08-30-2006, 01:11 PM
Imo Dom is a slightly above average NFL running back. Easy to replace...hard worker, good guy and all...but at the end of the day....easy to replace.

real
08-30-2006, 01:13 PM
Imo Dom is a slightly above average NFL running back. Easy to replace...hard worker, good guy and all...but at the end of the day....easy to replace.

Thats pretty much what it boils down to...

texan279
08-30-2006, 01:13 PM
thunderkyss has officially lost his mind.

LMAO And on that note, I've got to get outside and finish some work before I laugh myself to tears or lose any more IQ points discussing this. I'll be back in awhile to chime in again.

texan279
08-30-2006, 01:14 PM

I'll third the motion with Tru, my take exactly. Some around here act like if we lose DD we are losing Walter Payton or something.

tsip
08-30-2006, 06:30 PM
He can go to the PUP if the doctors re evaluate his knee. Hence why they are meeting again. If the doctors determine they can put the foam to increase padding within the knee then they will and he can be placed back on PUP. Personally I think he is either going to be able to play around the 3rd game or he will be on IR like Mork said earlier in Training Camp.

Why does K not mention the PUP as an option?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4150913.html

thunderkyss
08-30-2006, 07:40 PM

There are many very talented players that come into the league every year. Many, more talented than DD...... many faster, many stronger, many shiftier, many more explosive backs.

& every year, many of those guys begin to slip into obscurity...... till you don't remember that RonDayne won the Heisman, or that Tim Biakabatuka played in the NFL at one time. Or that Maurice Clarette had first round talent.

So is he avg?? yes, but he is productive......

I'll third the motion with Tru, my take exactly. Some around here act like if we lose DD we are losing Walter Payton or something.

Well....... before DD, we didn't have a running game. After DD we had a running game.

What gets me more than anything, is that we'll wait 10 years for a #1 overall QB to come around. But we can't wait one year to get DD back on the field. We can't wait till thursday, before we find out if he's going to play or not.

We've got excuses for David..... poor offensive line, poor coaching, no weapons.....

But we can't see that DD has had to deal with the same problems..... & has produced.

Our run blocking was better than our pass blocking, or nobody feared DD, they let him run the football because they knew he couldn't beat them. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Look at our QB..... in the last four years, you can't find one category (other than sacks) that he ranks in the top ten. How 'bout DD??

Then we have a Coach who has a better track record of developing RunningBacks than he does QBs, we're foaming at the mouth about what he can do for Carr's game......... But we don't dare speculate what he can do with DDs game..

Bubby Brister, Tommy Maddox, Brian Griese, & I'm sure I'm forgetting someone....... flops. Elway, Young..... success.....

Terrell Davis, Orlandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Clinton Portis, Rueban Droughns...

He'll turn a scrub into a 1000 yard running back....... imagine what he can do when he starts off with a 1000 yard running back.

tsip
08-30-2006, 07:50 PM
Fans like DD and it shows all the time on this board, so I don't know why your 'ranting' about how DD is treated. You know, people are going to make comments-just because they don't agree with yours is nothing personal.

DD is injury prone and has been since his first day. He has missed all or most of every training camp. He has missed many regular season games and is probally going to be IR this year, meaning he's gone for this season at least.

IMO, TK, you're getting worked up for a good player who won't be here after Thur...

thunderkyss
08-31-2006, 09:30 AM
Interesting side note..........

this is my first year to play FF. We're using the Yahoo setup..... I'm looking over our draft results, and compairing the players I picked to players other players picked, and relative positions.

DD was picked on avg in round 3..... as the 14 running back drafted. ahead of runningbacks like J.Jones, R.Bush, W.Parker, W.Dunn, C.Dillon, D.Mcallister, J.Lewis, T.Bell, D.Foster, C.Taylor, A.Green, F.Taylor, C.Martin, P.Holmes, M.Anderson

which is for the most part doesn't mean much. To me, it says that most people consider a healthy DD to be more productive than all the players who were left on the board when they picked him. They also believe that he will continue to be more productive.

At the same time, David Carr was picked on avg in the 12th round. Behind some notable QBs such as P.Rivers, M.Leinart, & V.YOung. which doesn't mean much really..... but doesn't give you warm fuzzies as Houston Texans fan.

texan279
08-31-2006, 09:33 AM

this is my first year to play FF. We're using the Yahoo setup..... I'm looking over our draft results, and compairing the players I picked to players other players picked, and relative positions.

DD was picked on avg in round 3..... as the 14 running back drafted. ahead of runningbacks like J.Jones, R.Bush, W.Parker, W.Dunn, C.Dillon, D.Mcallister, J.Lewis, T.Bell, D.Foster, C.Taylor, A.Green, F.Taylor, C.Martin, P.Holmes, M.Anderson

which is for the most part doesn't mean much. To me, it says that most people consider a healthy DD to be more productive than all the players who were left on the board when they picked him. They also believe that he will continue to be more productive.

At the same time, David Carr was picked on avg in the 12th round. Behind some notable QBs such as P.Rivers, M.Leinart, & V.YOung. which doesn't mean much really..... but doesn't give you warm fuzzies as Houston Texans fan.

All of those people who took DD that early are gonna be upset if he goes on IR...

thunderkyss
08-31-2006, 09:54 AM
All of those people who took DD that early are gonna be upset if he goes on IR...

true

infantrycak
08-31-2006, 11:39 AM
To me, it says that most people consider a healthy DD to be more productive than all the players who were left on the board when they picked him. They also believe that he will continue to be more productive.

You have to realize in many leagues the scoring system makes a duel threat RB more valuable than a straight runner. For instance from my league for two different runners with the same total yards and TD's.

DD 2004--1188 yds rushing (148.5), 13 rushing TD's (78), 68 receptions (68 pts), 588 receiving yds (58.8 pts), 1 receiving TD (6 pts)--total 359.3 pts

Pure rusher--1776 yds (222 pts), 14 rushing TD's (84 pts)--total 306 pts.

The pure rusher would need an extra 9 TD's for a total of 23 TD's on top of 1776 yds to equal DD's fantasy value. I don't think there is a coach in the league who would pick DD perfectly healthy over a 1776 yd, 23 TD rusher. That's the difference between fantasy and reality.

thunderkyss
08-31-2006, 12:09 PM
You have to realize in many leagues the scoring system makes a duel threat RB more valuable than a straight runner. For instance from my league for two different runners with the same total yards and TD's.

DD 2004--1188 yds rushing (148.5), 13 rushing TD's (78), 68 receptions (68 pts), 588 receiving yds (58.8 pts), 1 receiving TD (6 pts)--total 359.3 pts

Pure rusher--1776 yds (222 pts), 14 rushing TD's (84 pts)--total 306 pts.

The pure rusher would need an extra 9 TD's for a total of 23 TD's on top of 1776 yds to equal DD's fantasy value. I don't think there is a coach in the league who would pick DD perfectly healthy over a 1776 yd, 23 TD rusher. That's the difference between fantasy and reality.

true enough. & I can understand if someone wants to trade us their 1776 yard rusher for DD, we'd be all over that trade. & I'd be fine with that.

The problem we have now, and the situation I was addressing, is that we have DD..... & our fans couldn't care less if he comes back or not. They believe he's just avg at best, and talent wise, that might be true. Production wise, he's meant more to this team, than any other player on the roster to date.

real
08-31-2006, 12:58 PM
true enough. & I can understand if someone wants to trade us their 1776 yard rusher for DD, we'd be all over that trade. & I'd be fine with that.

The problem we have now, and the situation I was addressing, is that we have DD..... & our fans couldn't care less if he comes back or not. They believe he's just avg at best, and talent wise, that might be true. Production wise, he's meant more to this team, than any other player on the roster to date.

It's nothing personal against DD...He was on a bad team, and IMO, he was overused, because he was the best back we had and our passing game was a joke....He would no doubt help us with his versatility, but I as far as skill level I don't see a lot of drop off between DD->Morency + Lundy...If DD could come back and be productive that would help us tremendously...It's not like people are saying he sucks, or we are better off without him...Just that we aren't going to miss him as much as we'd miss a AJ, or D-Rob, or someone like that...I did a value scale yesterday, and IMO DD is the seventh most valuable Texan when healthy...and he's hurt now, and may be hurt forever...so right now his value is zero...

GP
08-31-2006, 02:14 PM

Thos people took DD because they go by the "cheat sheet."

Are you playing against guys from all over, or in your area (friends, co-workers, etc.)? Anybody who doesn't follow our team has no clue what's at stake by taking DD. I tried to tell a guy in my league about DD, and he thought I was trying to sabotage him...I was like, "Man, I'm telling you: DD is the biggest draft risk outside of Terrell Owens right now."

I am playing Yahoo, too. Here's my lineup:

QB: McNabb, McNair
RB: Tomlinson, Chris Brown
RB: Cadillac, Chris Perry
Flex (RB/WR): Reggie Bush
WR: Marvin Harrison
WR: Roy Williams, Lee Evans
TE: Cooley & Ben Watson
K: Rackers
ST/D: Panthers, Jaguars