PDA

View Full Version : Domanick Davis' Status?

mcafeess
08-28-2006, 04:56 PM
I'm interested to know what exactly the status is on Domanick Davis. How long is he out, and is he not projected to be the starter heading into opening day?

Thanks for your input.

The Duke
08-28-2006, 05:59 PM
He is DONE!

Might not make the team. Good back, but I think he might be done at Houston.

This will:stirpot:

Marcus
08-28-2006, 06:37 PM
Gary Kubiak stated on his radio show that Domanick might not make the final 53. For more details on this . . . go to the Kubiak - State of the Texans thread.

BigDTexansFan
08-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Gary Kubiak stated on his radio show that Domanick might not make the final 53. For more details on this . . . go to the Kubiak - State of the Texans thread.

that is not much of a suprise as Kubiak and Rick Smith, both said we want to give him time. BUT his knee might never be back where it was, I think they let him know we want you back but you got to get on field as Lundy/Morency are making our need for you less.

5ttimesthecharm
08-28-2006, 07:39 PM
this was on draftsharks.com--a fantasy info site:

** Domanick Davis to be cut ??**
Texans HC Gary Kubiak just said on 610 SportsRadio that they have a "tough decision" in the next few days because Domanick Daivs is too far behind due to the knee problems. There's a chance Davis could be placed on the PUP/Reserve list and miss the first 6 games or possibly even be cut on an injury settlement (!). Be guided accordingly.

Texans>Colts
08-28-2006, 08:36 PM
I really wouldn't cut Davis. He is a great RB with a lot of potential.

swtbound07
08-28-2006, 08:39 PM
I hate to say this, and please don't ask for sources/etc., but i would be willing to bet a good deal of money that dominic davis will never play another down in the nfl. I like DD a lot, but he just doesn't have the knee to play football anymore

Snapple
08-28-2006, 10:00 PM
It's a shame if he's cut, because I like DD.

All the many, many people who said around draft time "We don't need a RB because we have Davis" look like fools right about now, though.

Hopefully, Lundy strikes gold...

edo783
08-28-2006, 10:02 PM
I think that at this point in time, the best DD can hope for is either the PUP for the first 6 weeks or IR for the rest of the year. IMO, I don't see the IR thing due to money issues, but maybe they might PUP him.

Hardcore Texan
08-28-2006, 10:12 PM
I hope this does not happen, some of our worst fears could be realized, I really like DD alot..but this ain't lookin' real good.

TexansSeminole
08-28-2006, 10:21 PM
They wont cut him. He will atleast make the team.

edo783
08-29-2006, 12:38 AM
I think that at this point in time, the best DD can hope for is either the PUP for the first 6 weeks or IR for the rest of the year. IMO, I don't see the IR thing due to money issues, but maybe they might PUP him.

Based on some new info about DD I think they will wind up cutting him. I thought they would PUP him, but I have learned that the rule is that if they pass the training camp physical they can't be PUPed. That's from another thread that K. Toro brought up.

WILLIEG
08-29-2006, 12:58 AM
If this is true and he will not make the team I would like to say Thanks for all the years you gave us DD and you will always be remembered as one of only bright spots in the birth of the Texns. Good Luck to You in what ever you do!

uhcougar08
08-29-2006, 01:10 AM
Even though I wanted Reggie because of DD injuries, I am happy with Mario, because I think that was the right decision. Because of DD injury status, he will not make the roster. I see us grabbing the best RB out there when the cuts start happening. Lundy and Morency will work just fine with Smith in Kubiaks system. I beginning to think I am a genius when I decided to sell all of my DD autograph rookie cards at the end of last year. On the other hand, I wish DD the best and hope he can make the team, only if he is healthy enough to contribute.

Napa Auto Parts
08-29-2006, 01:14 AM
Oh My Casserly Just gave DD a new deal last year how would that hurt us Capwise if he were to get Cut? inquiring minds want to know.

i cant help but say i wouldnt mind if we lost DD Morency and lundy look good so far and we can always get stacy mack out of his riding lawnmower.:tease:

Marcus
08-29-2006, 06:48 AM
This is for aj, or anyone else familiar with cap hit implications.

First of all, is it true that Davis cannot be PUPed because he already passed his physical? And second, if he is cut, what would be the cap hit for 2006 and beyond?

U4ikrob
08-29-2006, 06:55 AM
http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2006/08/texans_running_out_of_patience.html

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4147469.html

No PuP per the Chronic - McClain

O.G.
08-29-2006, 07:37 AM
this was on draftsharks.com--a fantasy info site:

** Domanick Davis to be cut ??**
Texans HC Gary Kubiak just said on 610 SportsRadio that they have a "tough decision" in the next few days because Domanick Daivs is too far behind due to the knee problems. There's a chance Davis could be placed on the PUP/Reserve list and miss the first 6 games or possibly even be cut on an injury settlement (!). Be guided accordingly.

Domanick can't be placed on the PUP List because he passed his physical.

O.G.
08-29-2006, 07:38 AM
This is for aj, or anyone else familiar with cap hit implications.

First of all, is it true that Davis cannot be PUPed because he already passed his physical? And second, if he is cut, what would be the cap hit for 2006 and beyond?

I second that question. Also, word from Denver is that Cobbs is ahead of Dayne, so would you pick Dayne up? He isn't really a powerback, just a bigger back you know?

nunusguy
08-29-2006, 07:48 AM
"Davis, 5-9 and 227 pounds, can't be placed on the physically unable to perform list because he passed a physical before training camp."
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4147469.html

aj.
08-29-2006, 08:21 AM
Dom's contract: Five-year contract (signed in '05) for base salaries of $1.7 million (2006), $3.34 million (2007), $4.180 million (2008) and $4.55 million (2009). His base salary for 2005 was $380,000. He also received a $5 million signing bonus. Davis was paid a $1.2 million option bonus in March '06. He is due to receive an $800,000 roster bonus if he makes the roster this year (another forcing function).

His cap hit when released would include the $4 million that's left on the signing bonus proration from '06 - '09 and the $1.2 option bonus that he was paid earlier this year. That's $5.2 to deal with over two years. There's really nothing to gain capwise by IR-ing him.

Lotsa dead money piling up this year and next, whcih may restrict free agent moves a bit next March.

Marcus
08-29-2006, 08:52 AM
Dom's contract: Five-year contract (signed in '05) for base salaries of $1.7 million (2006), $3.34 million (2007), $4.180 million (2008) and $4.55 million (2009). His base salary for 2005 was $380,000. He also received a $5 million signing bonus. Davis was paid a $1.2 million option bonus in March '06. He is due to receive an $800,000 roster bonus if he makes the roster this year (another forcing function).

His cap hit when released would include the $4 million that's left on the signing bonus proration from '06 - '09 and the $1.2 option bonus that he was paid earlier this year. That's $5.2 to deal with over two years. There's really nothing to gain capwise by IR-ing him.

Lotsa dead money piling up this year and next, whcih may restrict free agent moves a bit next March.

Thank's aj for the info.

Do you you what the total cap hit is for the team overall for this year and next . . so far that is. I know there is dead money from Wade and Walker, but I don't know how much, and from who else. Just trying to check if we're digging a deeper hole, or if we're climbing out of it.

geofb
08-29-2006, 09:00 AM
Do you you what the total cap hit is for the team overall for this year and next . . so far that is. I know there is dead money from Wade and Walker, but I don't know how much, and from who else. Just trying to check if we're digging a deeper hole, or if we're climbing out of it.

We will be stung by a number of moves that turned out (with 20/20 hindsight) to be mistakes. This is one of many reasons why any talk of the Texans making the playoffs this year or next is premature. I think we are on the right track, but it will take a while.

Runner
08-29-2006, 09:23 AM

Not only getting other team's free agents, but resigning our own. Wand, Peek, Joppru (who else?) are all on the last year of their deals; all have an opportunity to increase their value this year. We aren't done paying for some bad contracts yet. We might have a talent drain that affects the team long after the dead money is off the books.

Kaiser Toro
08-29-2006, 09:39 AM
Based on some new info about DD I think they will wind up cutting him. I thought they would PUP him, but I have learned that the rule is that if they pass the training camp physical they can't be PUPed. That's from another thread that K. Toro brought up.

Based off of John McClains' article. I did not know that until he brought it up either as I was for sure he was going on the PUP as well.

Runner
08-29-2006, 09:42 AM
Based off of John McClains' article. I did not know that until he brought it up either as I was for sure he was going on the PUP as well.

I don't understand the PUP thing. Couldn't this new injury require a new physical that he fails?

Kaiser Toro
08-29-2006, 09:48 AM
Not only getting other team's free agents, but resigning our own. Wand, Peek, Joppru (who else?) are all on the last year of their deals; all have an opportunity to increase their value this year. We aren't done paying for some bad contracts yet. We might have a talent drain that affects the team long after the dead money is off the books.

The cap is projected to bump up to 109 million next year so we may have more wiggle room next year to push some of Wade's money and DD's to go with Walker's. AJ has an educated lifeline on this matter.

This year we are carying dead cap for:
http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap.html
Dead Money
Wade, Todd $6,666,667
Coleman, Marcus $2,533,134
Walker, Gary $1,833,333
Deloach, Jerry $562,000
Banks, Tony $400,000
Norris, Moran $400,000
Hollings, Tony $233,250
Ioane, Junior $200,000
Washington, Todd $167,667
Est. sum of all players with less than $100,000 $305,000

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap2007.html
Key Unrestricted Free Agents for 2007
Armstrong, Derick
Bedell, Brad
Bruener, Mark
Buchanon, Phillip
Evans, Troy
Green, Barrett
Joppru, Bennie
Kalu, N.D.
Loverne, David
Peek, Antwan
Polk, DaShon
Rainer, Wali
Salaam, Ephraim
Sanders, Lewis
Schifino, Jake
Smith, Antowain
Stanley, Chad
Stone, Michael
Walker, Ramon
Wand, Seth

Key Restricted Free Agents
Anderson, Charlie
Earl, Glenn
Orr, Shantee

edo783
08-29-2006, 09:49 AM
I don't understand the PUP thing. Couldn't this new injury require a new physical that he fails?

I think that is kind of the issue. He was operated on in the off season and then was able to pass the camp physical. As he hasn't had a new injury or been (and I am not sure on this part) re-injured, he can't be PUPed.

Kaiser Toro
08-29-2006, 10:11 AM
After reading Kubiak's statements and the CBA, it is my gut, if Davis' agents did their job, we may be heading to an arbitrator on this one.

Section 3. Disputes: Any dispute under this Article will be processed under Article IX (Non‑Injury Grievance).In any grievance in which the NFLPA or a player is claiming an injury protection benefit, the NFLPA or the player may contend that the player should not have passed the pre-season physical examination given by a Club following the season of a player’s injury. In any such grievance, the NFLPA or the player may introduce evidence from a physician selected by and paid for by the player regarding the player’s physical condition at the time of the Club’s pre-season physical exam, provided that such physician conducted his examination of the player within fourteen days of the player’s contract termination, but no later than the date of the first pre-season cutdown. Any such evidence will be considered with the evidence from the Club physician, and the arbitrator shall give no special deference to the evidence presented by either physician. If the NFLPA prevails in such a grievance, then the requirements of Section 1(c) above shall be deemed to have been satisfied.

http://nflpa.org/CBA/CBA_Complete.aspx#art12