PDA

View Full Version : Texans at Broncos: Impressions

Hervoyel
08-27-2006, 09:50 PM
I posted this in the game thread and I'm just going to cut and paste it here. Mostly I don't care about the second half of this game. A little of the 3rd quarter was significant but not much past that.

Here's what I thought looking at all of this:

Lewis Sanders couldn’t cover his own feet if you gave him a blanket

David Carr is still making “questionable” decisions.

I like this new defense. They come after people and keep coming after people.

Phillip Buchanon needs to earn a starting CB spot opposite Dunta but if he doesn’t then he’s a heck of nickel and he returns punts very well. If they hadn’t grabbed his face mask he’d have been gone.

Zach Weigert really hurt us with that pathetic attempt at stopping his man. That’s one sack. I find myself surprised that he’s the best option on the right side.

The defense really is much better this year.

Spencer’s hold was a disaster. Where is Wand?

TJ and Robaire aren’t exactly knocking me out. I’m wondering where Seth Payne is right now. I can’t believe he’s not one of the best two options at this position.

Do we really have 2 yards passing right now? Damn!

You can’t line up over the center on a FG attempt? You gotta be kidding me! Someday I’ll be watching the NFNFL (National Flag Nerf Football League). On the other hand why don’t’ the Texans know this? Could have been 3 but instead it’s 7. We better answer this.

Carr throws a pick. I swear I’ve been watching this boy play this position since 2002 and he’s the most snake-bit guy I’ve ever seen when it comes to deflected passes.

The offense today sucks terribly. The defense is the only thing working.

Carr, if judged by only this performance would have to be called a lousy QB based on everything I’ve seen up until this drive. This drive he’s looking ok.

That might be the only time in my life I ever hear anyone compare David Carr with Steve Young.

I’d almost forgotten what it was like to see a break go the Texans way. Lundy’s fumble was a nice “change of pace”. Too bad we couldn’t’ get the yardage.

Damn! David Carr is so stupid. Spiking the ball on 3rd down when you have almost 25 seconds. 3 points. That’s all they get is 3 points out of their best drive.

---------------------------------------
I will add that I am left wondering what Jake Plummer looked like at this time during his first season with Denver. I don't really know where to put David Carr right now. I don't know if he's behind the curve or on it for someone coming from a crap offense to this one. I want to know if Jake was making dumb decisions in his first year at Denver like I see David making right now. Overall I'm less than impressed with Carr's progress in this system but I'm not one to put too much emphasis on the preseason. I think people who do just don't understand what they're seeing.

I am nervous though.

I'd also like to add that I'm not too terribly surprised by our offense looking predictable tonight. Denver is the one team in the league that's going to know what they're seeing when we line up across from them. I suspect we're doing something to try and hide that but I think we're not at our best right now. Conversely I'd say our defense did a good job tonight because their coaches know pretty much what they're seeing when they line up against Denver.

TexanBacker93
08-27-2006, 10:01 PM
I'm sure the Texans know the lining up over the center rule. I've seen it called a few times in the preseason. Old habits more like than the coaching staff not being aware. Still, you can shade the center and it was pretty close to being legit.

I'm not going to make excuses for Carr. He still makes dumb mistakes. However, you can't compare him in the system to where Plummer was in his first year in Denver. The entire Houston offense is learning the new system while Plummer had a playoff team around him. That being said, he's got to step up and make plays. Watch Plummer with a quick rush and he gets rid of the ball to a receiver in a hearbeat.

Grid
08-27-2006, 10:06 PM
I have been supporting the Carr decision but this game makes ya wonder how much he is going to improve.

Im not giving up on him yet, but I hope this game tape fixes some of his issues.

the wonger need food
08-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Carr is too far gone at this point in his career. Sage looks like a very capable QB in this offense though, so all hope isn't lost.

Runner
08-27-2006, 10:12 PM
I thought Cutler looked good. Poised for a rookie.

jerek
08-27-2006, 10:12 PM
First impressions:

First team D held up very well. I still don't like some of our defensive playcalls.

Ryans is going to be a baller.

Carr made a bad mistake or two -- forced the ball on that INT and took a sack that was clearly his fault -- but he looked fine after the first few series. One of these games, he's going to come out hot instead of taking a quarter to get going.

Sage looked rough himself. Not that it will matter to the ditch-Carr-or-else bandwagon.

I used my new DVR to record the game, so I'll be rewatching it shortly.

Denver's an elite team and we hung right there with them to the final whistle, first and second/third teams. I saw pretty much the game I hoped to see in terms of the score. We have things to work on, but this was a good measure of where we really stood. I think we're pleasantly ahead of the curve, at this point. A lot of ground yet to cover, but we're definitely headed in the right direction.

LBC_Justin
08-27-2006, 10:13 PM
I have been supporting the Carr decision but this game makes ya wonder how much he is going to improve.

Im not giving up on him yet, but I hope this game tape fixes some of his issues.
I don't think Carr makes that many bad decisions. It is more what he choses not to do. It seems like when given the option of throwing long or dumping off, he choses the short pass every time. At least that is my perception.

Overall I feel good about how our boys played tonight. Ryan, Mario, Owens, Lundy(other than the fumble) all played well. Our future looks bright.

veazeyt
08-27-2006, 10:15 PM
Marshall Faulk is a Texans hater, and Marruchi gives the Texas team some respect.

Good game for the Texans first team, they showed some good character by keeping the team in the game when things were not going their way.

I like what I saw and I think The Texans as a team can learn a lot from this performance against a fine tuned Broncos team.

Divebomb
08-27-2006, 10:20 PM
We kicked there hindside on Defense. Carr has to play more consistand. Too many penalties. Biggest problem on both sides, jumping off-sides.

veazeyt
08-27-2006, 10:24 PM
Had some serious penalties on offense, I saw spencer jumping like popcorn.

Better to make these mistakes in the preseason at Mile High, than regular season.

K.D.
08-27-2006, 10:28 PM
Guys help me with some insight on the game, didn't get to see it, just followed ply by ply on nfl.com

1. The sack on carr, was it a blown assngmnt or did he pretty much run into the defender. On the int. was he hurried in the pocket or did he throw into tight coverage. Also, the fumble he had how did that come about.

2. Were the receiver's tightly covered in first couple of series or DC didn't have time to get them the ball. The 1st fg before halftime, what really happened in that series, did we try to throw into the endzone.

3. I could tell the D held their own, but did we have good pressure on plummer when he was trying to pass. Where the passes quick to avoid the sack or did he have time to take his pick to throw to.

Any info on certain aspects would be appreciated. Running game, kick\punt returns, DB's, anything really. thanks fellas.:cool:

tulexan
08-27-2006, 10:31 PM
I liked how we actually started to open things up on offense (sort of) with a few long passes. Andre should have caught that pass, but the pass to Moulds was just a little over thrown.

Demeco is going to be something special. It seemed like he had almost every tackle in the first half.

Jwwillis
08-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Guys help me with some insight on the game, didn't get to see it, just followed ply by ply on nfl.com

1. The sack on carr, was it a blown assngmnt or did he pretty much run into the defender. On the int. was he hurried in the pocket or did he throw into tight coverage. Also, the fumble he had how did that come about.

Blown assignment by Weigart. Carr threw behind the receiver into very tight coverage.

2. Were the receiver's tightly covered in first couple of series or DC didn't have time to get them the ball. The 1st fg before halftime, what really happened in that series, did we try to throw into the endzone.

Carr thew the ball down field more but the DB's had tight coverage.

3. I could tell the D held their own, but did we have good pressure on plummer when he was trying to pass. Where the passes quick to avoid the sack or did he have time to take his pick to throw to.

Yes good pressure on Plummer IMO. D looked good for this stage of the season.

Any info on certain aspects would be appreciated. Running game, kick\punt returns, DB's, anything really. thanks fellas.:cool:

Hope this helps some.

gtexan02
Remember 2 years ago when Plummer was bootlegging out, and a defender came at him from the right side? He quickly moved the football to his left hand and tried to throw it. Needless to say, it went about half as far as it should have, way off course, and right into a DLs hands for an int.

I think its safe to say that both Carr and Plummer are prone to some "questionable" decisions, but with the right coaching, both should be fine.

Carr is just so much of a better athlete than Sage. His upside is much higher

edo783
I It seems like when given the option of throwing long or dumping off, he choses the short pass every time. At least that is my perception.

I think that MAY be correct. I also think that at halftime he was talked to about it, because all of a sudden the ball went down field in the third quarter. My only question having said that is, what were the plays called? If he was supposed to throw short....well that's what he did, but if there were supposed to be longer ones open and they were in fact open and then he chose to throw short, that's a whole different thing. It did look to me like he hesitated to just chuck the ball and was holding it to long. He tossed it down field 3 times in the 20+ range. One was caught by Moulds, one should have been caught by AJ and on was just a bit over thrown to Moulds. Need to do that 5-6 times a game IMO.

Grid
08-27-2006, 10:34 PM
1. The sack was Zach Wiegert getting beat by a defender. Not much Carr could do about it. The Interception was a bad dumpoff by Carr that got tipped up by a defender, and then grabbed out of the air before it hit the ground by someone else. A bit of an unlucky play by Carr..but he didnt help himself with the throw.

2. Im not sure on coverage cause they didnt show it.. but i find it hard to believe that there wasnt an open guy anywhere for that long. I think Carr was having some confidence issues or something.

No we never went for the endzone.. And I dont think that was all Carr either. I think we made a conscious decision to take the 3 points and head to the lockerroom.

3. Our pressure was somewhere in between. We got enough pressure that he couldnt sit back comfortably..but not enough to really disrupt his passing and cause some turnovers. We did "good".. not "great".

Our running game didnt look as impressive against a real defense. They didnt look BAD mind you.. just not awesome. Lewis Sanders did a good job tonight I thought.. I think we will be alright at the #2 CB spot. Buchanan still looks great on punt returns. DeMeco Ryans was a beast out there... possible DROY if he keeps that up. Babin had a nice "almost sack" coming off the edge.. Plummer barely got the ball off, and it was incomplete.

Lots of mental mistakes on the line.. offsides, encroachment.. etc..etc..

K.D.
08-27-2006, 10:35 PM
Hope this helps some.

Yes it does, preciat it willis.

Sarg01
08-27-2006, 10:35 PM
Thoughts - Broncos came to play and we nearly beat them, if not for a borderline call (looked like shoulder, not helmet to me) on a rookie with that stupid new rule to "protect the snapper"

All the talk was Kubiak vs. Shanahan, when it ended up being DeMeco vs. Shanahan.

Carr and Sage looked about the same, despite what folks say.

1st team defense - seriously impressed. Wow. Got put in bad situations several times and kept stopping a Super Bowl caliber team, known for its offense.

2nd team LBs - well, they're exactly what we thought. At least they're good STers.

Kaiser Toro
08-27-2006, 10:36 PM
I liked what I saw. I watched a game where two teams were playing with leashes on, but playing as hard as they could. We stood up to one of best teams in the NFL. Our offense must get better and I believe we see Rosenfels by week 3, becasue if it remains flat then we must remove the one constant for the betterment of the unit. The defense will be the heart and soul of this team and I have no problem with that as it makes a QB change more palatable.

Looking forward to watch a second time.

infantrycak
08-27-2006, 10:37 PM

There were two sacks on Carr. On the 1st, he rolled right, didn't see anything he was comfortable with, juked on D player, should have thrown it away but held on and got hit coughing up the ball which luckily bounced out of bounds. Bad decision by Carr--should have thrown it away after juking the 1st guy. The 2nd sack was on Wiegert IMO--he set up for an outside rush and the guy beat him easily on a n inside move to get Carr. The int. was a short pass to Lundy--should have just been thrown away. Unlucky bounce off the defender and a great play by another D guy got the INT.

Hard to tell about the coverage since they show little down field until the ball is released. Carr looked hesitant though and went to the RB's TE's frequently though--Sage did as well later on.

A little of both. We had good pressure at times. IMO the refs badly missed not throwing an intentional grounding flag at one point as Plummer was being hit high and low. He was pressured quite a few times but did a good job evading sacks.

]

Napa Auto Parts
08-27-2006, 10:37 PM
im not here to pass judgment on poor play but there was plenty of it to go around.
im just amazed as why coach Kubiak wouldn't allow david to pass in our own redzone weird. or when we were in our inside our own 10 1 and 17 i believe you would think coach would try and make some yards but three runs in a row that's not a very confident coach at least not in his QB.

beerlover
08-27-2006, 10:38 PM
my impression is that this is not the same Texans team we've been force fed the past four seasons. the 1st team defense looks really good, although if they sustain injurys and have to go 2nd & 3rd stringers (the run defense looked poor late in the game) they will still have problems closing out games and stopping game ending, clock eating drives.

offensively Sage seems to have a better grasp of the offense and is more effective once inside the red zone than David Carr. while the line is much improved there is still work to do, several costly penaltys and failure to pick up blitzes, but at least there is now some talent to work with.

special teams seems about the same.

tulexan
08-27-2006, 10:42 PM
No we never went for the endzone.. And I dont think that was all Carr either. I think we made a conscious decision to take the 3 points and head to the lockerroom.

I might be mistaken, but weren't we going to go for it on 4th and 1 at the end of the 2nd quarter, but then there was a false start so we settled for the FG?

Doom Capers
08-27-2006, 10:42 PM
i thought sanders looked good......

TexanFan881
08-27-2006, 10:46 PM
This is my thoughts:

Offense played poorly the first 20 or 25 minutes, but there in the last about 5-10 minutes in the second half and the first 5 in the third quarter, Carr looked in sync and the offense looked very solid. If they keep the first team in I think we keep having big drives.

The defense was great today. Lewis Sanders got schooled early in the game but after the first drive where Elam missed the field goal we were rock solid. Sure, there was a good play here and there by Denver, but that's going to happen.

Demeco Ryans was extremely impressive. This guy will be the starter for the next ten years. He was all over the ball. I haven't seen the stats yet but he had to have a ton of tackles.

I don't buy this Sage is better than Carr garbage. I finally get to see a game live and I've got to say that Carr looked fairly solid at the end of his playing time. He started off a little rocky, but got a lot better as playing digressed. 15/22, 128 yards, and that interception that was total luck for the defense, was an overall pretty good game for Carr. The only play I really strongly disagree with Carr was the run for the fumble, but he knows he did wrong, he even said it on TV, and I see him learning from these experiences. This is what the preseason is for.

Wali Lundy impressed me a lot. He seemed to get solid catches and solid yardage on rushing attempts even if there was no running room. I think he's got a leg up on Morency, but Morency made some nice blocks on passing downs except for that one missed block where Denver got a sack. They both run with a lot of power and I think if we have both of them getting significant playing time they will stay healthy and we will have a very effective running game.

Overall I think this game was a sign of good things to come. If the offense can stay in sync like the starters did near the end of their playing time, and the defense plays like they did today, we are looking good.

K.D.
08-27-2006, 10:46 PM
thank you guys for the replies, hope I'm not asking to many ? for ya'll, but what kind of route was the td throw from sage to lewis? was. was it a rollout or in pocket. The only sack I think came from cochran, did he blow thru the line and got'em or was a coverage sack.:brickwall

tsip
08-27-2006, 10:49 PM
"His upside is much higher"

...there you go, a new 'thought' to replace 'potential!'

Sarg01
08-27-2006, 10:49 PM
thank you guys for the replies, hope I'm not asking to many ? for ya'll, but what kind of route was the td throw from sage to lewis? was. was it a rollout or in pocket. The only sack I think came from cochran, did he blow thru the line and got'em or was a coverage sack.:brickwall

Cochran got a sack on Cutler when he tried to convert the 3rd on the ground. He did come flying off a block to do it, at least.

Peldon
08-27-2006, 10:50 PM

The TD to Lewis looked like a stop and go route where the defender slipped and Lewis was wide open in the endzone. Sage was in a normal drop in the pocket.

infantrycak
08-27-2006, 10:52 PM
thank you guys for the replies, hope I'm not asking to many ? for ya'll, but what kind of route was the td throw from sage to lewis?

Fake post and then go corner. The DB slipped leaving Lewis open.

Runner
08-27-2006, 10:52 PM
Looking forward to watch a second time.

If you would, watch our o-lineman coming off the ball at the snap and let me know if something stands out. I want to know if I'm seeing things.

Kaiser Toro
08-27-2006, 10:54 PM
If you would, watch our o-lineman coming off the ball at the snap and let me know if something stands out. I want to know if I'm seeing things.

will do

thunderkyss
08-27-2006, 10:56 PM
First thing I want to say...... that first run to the left, with Spencer leading the way.............. now I get it..... If that's what he can do...... ok, I'm with you guys on that..... let's hope Spencer wins the starting job, because I can't imagine Wand doing that.

Second...... Carr...... he's not even looking downfield, and the two(3??) times he threw it downfield........... bad throws. in fact, they were all bad throws. he's got guys reaching, twisting, jumping, diving for no reason.

Was it Moulds down the left side, when that midget jumped up and knocked it out of his hands?? Moulds had to jump and fade to the outside, into the corner, and there was no reason for that.... he didn't need that much air under it, there was no safety, & Moulds(AJ??) had position.

I'm still confident that he'll turn around..... but I'd like to see him get a touchdown against a first team defense in the first quarter.

Again, we were more GreenBay than DenverSouth... but that's understandable.

And while I like our Linebackers, they looked like crap compared to Denvers...... in time, I know..... in time.

But Polk needs to go..... I know we are kinda thin at LineBaker, but we need to get rid of Polk.... he is really hurting our team.

Sanders........ didn't look too bad.... I hope he played today, to punish Buchanon for his PI last week.

& if you are CC Brown, and you see the QB flushed out of the pocket, and a Tightend streaking across the middle, don't you think you need to get close to him??

SESupergenius
08-27-2006, 11:01 PM
I was unimpressed with Carr the 1st few series, but more unimpressed with the conservative play calling early. Carr is going to make a few bonehead mistakes in the game and you can count on him to at least twice during a game hold onto the ball too much. He relatively doesn't throw interceptions because of that, then again he doesn't let the WR make the plays either. Speaking of big plays, was it me or did Moulds look like Keyshawn Johnson on the deep route...slow and old. And Andre Johnson had better perform better on 1 on 1 deep throw situations....especially against guys that are 5'8!!!! That guy completely out-jumped Andre to knock down the ball. Andre had better run faster to the edge on reverses too, a linebacker beat him to the line. One positive out of this oofense was the ability to convert on 3rd down. Carr also found a TE, YEAH!!!! Sage was equally bad his first few series, and trust me you can tell the difference in talent from 1st string to 2nd, but Sage finds blown coverages. You will see Sage this year at some point because offensive pass protection won't be there, that will be interesting. Tthe defense was good, but a few miscues by Denver made them better than what they were. Ryans is a great surprise in the middle.

thunderkyss
08-27-2006, 11:04 PM
When did Denver start putting their second team defense in??

And I Know TJ will catch some slack for his penalties..... but if you go back and watch the StL game, he was getting great jumps off the snap.....he was in his mans face, before the center got up... looked pretty awesome.

So...... him getting his penalties today, I figured he was trying to get the same advantage...... that dang Plummer is a little crafty though.

cbnjwill
08-27-2006, 11:09 PM
1.is david carr the worst starting qb in the league? if not who is?

2. will ryans have a bigger impact on this defense than mario williams this year?

infantrycak
08-27-2006, 11:10 PM
Speaking of big plays, was it me or did Moulds look like Keyshawn Johnson on the deep route...slow and old. And Andre Johnson had better perform better on 1 on 1 deep throw situations....especially against guys that are 5'8!!!! That guy completely out-jumped Andre to knock down the ball.

Moulds was slow off the snap to set his guy up. Carr in an example of something he is not supposed to be able to do put a lot of air under the ball in an early thrown ball. 50/50 fault in my book going down to still figuring each other out. Moulds showed plenty of speed on the 2nd half of the route.

At first I was down on AJ for not making a play on that ball but looking at it closer he just got a little unbalanced such that he couldn't jump. Carr had every right to think AJ should have made that play because 80%+ he does. Just an off play--IMO a giant piece of going from a losing team to a winning team is having more of those close plays fall our way. Gonna take a while to click though.

TexanFan881
08-27-2006, 11:22 PM
When did Denver start putting their second team defense in??

And I Know TJ will catch some slack for his penalties..... but if you go back and watch the StL game, he was getting great jumps off the snap.....he was in his mans face, before the center got up... looked pretty awesome.

So...... him getting his penalties today, I figured he was trying to get the same advantage...... that dang Plummer is a little crafty though.

I'm pretty sure Denver started pulling their first teamers right around the 10-8 minutes left point in the third quarter. When the first teams were in, the score was 10-6. That's pretty darn good considering this is a playoff team we were playing.

quicksilver
08-27-2006, 11:23 PM
1.is david carr the worst starting qb in the league? if not who is?

Phillip Rivers, Charlie Frye, and Chris Simms spring immediately to mind. I'm not an Aaron Brooks fan. Perhaps J.P. Losman is in this category, too.

South Texan
08-27-2006, 11:27 PM
Pass coverage looked better but still needs to improve.

D-Line looked good against a very good O-Line both with the pressure and holding them to about 100 yards rushing.

DeMeco in the second round may be the steal of the draft this year (8 solo tackles)

Carr and Company start too slow, but were looking better as the game progressed.

Losing to a team like Denver by only a field goal makes me think we are ahead of schedule.

quicksilver
08-27-2006, 11:30 PM
Losing to a team like Denver by only a field goal makes me think we are ahead of schedule.

Very good point, especially considering the game was in Denver.

texasguy346
08-27-2006, 11:32 PM
Honestly I've got quite a few positive first impressions despite the loss.

For starters the first team defense looked much better. Ryans is a heck of a player, and by far our best LB. He's got good instincts, but he's still going to make his share of rookie mistakes.

I really liked the pressure we were able to put on the QB with Babin and Peek at the DE positions, and Mario and Weaver inside.

Mario looked very good tonight. On the sack by Ryans Mario was doubled which allowed Demeco to have a free run at Plummer. There were plenty of other plays where Mario helped make plays for other guys. On another play Mario was one on one with Denver's RG, and he manhandled him pushing him back at the QB. I'll have to look again to see if it was with the 1st or 2nd team OLine. Impressive nonetheless.

The offense looked shaky early on, but there was something to be said about the two or three long drives. You'd like to come out with more than field goals, and frankly they'll have to get it into the endzone before they'll start winning consistently. I'm not as negative about the offense's performance since Denver's D has probably seen 80 to 90% of our plays day in and day out at training camp for the past few years.

The OLine started off shaky, but came together as the game progressed. Still too many penalties for my taste.

David is going to have to get used to seeing pressure because the Eagles will likely bring tons of it early on in the opener until he shows he can make them pay for blitzing.

I like what I've seen of Daniels thus far in the preseason. In all honesty when they announced him as the Texans pick in the 4th round I thought it was a headscratcher of a pick. Looks like ol' Kubes knows what he's doing after all.

Speaking of TE that Tony Scheffler kid is going to be a star for Denver.

I thought Sanders did an okay job in coverage tonight with the obvious exception of the play where Plummer slipped. It looked as though Sanders stopped covering Smith after seeing Plummer fall leaving Smith wide open when Plummer popped back up. I still wish Faggins was healthy.

All in all I'm pleased with the Texans performance. We hung in there against a very talented Denver team who had a good idea of what we were trying to do out there on most every play. In previous meetings with the Broncos they handed it to us pretty handily. This team looks much better than it has ever looked, but we still might be fortunate to get more than 6 wins.

cbnjwill
08-27-2006, 11:34 PM
ok ill give you frye but seriously id take rivers in a heartbeat right now over carr and might take simms as well

CMoak1982
08-27-2006, 11:40 PM
The route was a slant and go, this offense is predicated on the slant. Rod Smith has been doing it for years, that's gonna be Andre's bread and butter, and with the proper timing the slant and go is gonna be a big play maker. It's slant hard pump fake, burn upfield. If Lewis makes it look that easy Andre is gonna have a field day.

wags
08-27-2006, 11:49 PM
On David's INT he had #43 wide open in the middle for a dump off. I don't know how he didn't see it because his head was turned that way before he looked right and Uncle Rico'ed it to Lundy.

Why didn't Carr throw it OB on that rollout? :confused:

Our OL is slightly better but Wiegert is not good. Our tackles are going to get beat a ton.

Sterling Sharpe is a moron.

Vernand Morency needs to start.

Defensively we look better, but our backup linebackers are terrible.

Peek is going to get some personal foul calls again. Whether it's his fault or not he puts himself in that position.

Kris Brown scares me.

Anthony Weaver?

David Carr better play the whole Tampa game because he needs it.

Marcus
08-27-2006, 11:52 PM
Ok, here are my impressions before I rewatch it.

Carr - I couldn't say anything different than what has been said about him already. I don't think he's a lost cause, though. Kubiak said on the post-game interview tonight that "Troy and I will sit down" with him and figure out a way to get David to start off the game faster. I will give up on Carr when Kubes does . . . not before.

And an interesting statement by Kubes in the interview. He said that the slow start was somewhat his own fault with the playcalling. (I'm really starting to respect this man.)

Andre Johnson - why is it that this guy who has 4.3 speed never gets open downfield? Does it always have to be jumpball situation when Carr does throw to him? I don't know. For such an 'elite' receiver who is given such a God-like status around here, you'd think he'd do more to hold up his end. Can you say 'overrated'?

Defense - really impressed tonight. Front 4 got good pressure. Mario is playing better and better. Demeco Ryans is a stud! Lewis Sanders should be the starting corner opposite Dunta. Am really impressed with the defense overall. We should be in every game this year just with what the D is doing?

Divebomb
08-27-2006, 11:58 PM
[QUOTE=wags]On David's INT he had #43 wide open in the middle for a dump off. I don't know how he didn't see it because his head was turned that way before he looked right and Uncle Rico'ed it to Lundy.

Why didn't Carr throw it OB on that rollout? :confused:[QUOTE=wags]

Uncle Rico :yahoo:

Yea Carr looked like 2005 the first 25 min of the game.

AggieTexanFan
08-28-2006, 01:48 AM
Carr started out slow, but look at his history, His QB rating shoots up as the game goes along. It's just the QB he is, he has always seemed to start out slow.

Moulds should have caught the floater Carr threw down the left side line in the 2nd quarter. Mounds wasn't running hard early in the route and Carr put right where he had too.

C.C. Brown was laying some wood on people. I love a FS that hits hard!

Ryans was the highlight of the game for the Texans, this kid can play!

Dunta Robinson seemed to be playing too loose on his man. I'm not sure if he's not use to having a pass rush, but he seemed to be in 05 mode, b/c he cushion was too big IMO. We actually have a front 7 this year, press your man please!

The OC has to run plays to get the WRs in the game earlier. I like seeing Carr check down, but damn, throw a ball to a WR in the first quarter please.

There were a lot of rookie mistakes, Spencer's hold, Owen's false start, Ryan's took a couple of wrong paths on running plays, Mario looked lost on a couple of run plays ran his direction.

But luckly this is just our 3rd preseason game with totally new Offensive and Defensive schemes and 5 rookies started on 1st teams. So things are looking up

Malloy
08-28-2006, 05:37 AM
Carr started out slow, but look at his history, His QB rating shoots up as the game goes along. It's just the QB he is, he has always seemed to start out slow.

I'm sorry, but that is just not good enough. Manning the most important position on a football team, only playing ok for half the game is just not good enough. Slow start, late comeback, call it what you will, but the QB position demands consistancy, something Carr has never been too good at.

I'll give Carr to the midseason, if he has not fixed this flaw then I'm all for benching him.

Runner
08-28-2006, 06:56 AM
I was happy with our defensive effort against Denver. They looked fast and hard hitting; extra kudos to Ryans.

The offense looked out of sync, but some of that may have been due to Denver's tough defense and their familiarity with our system.

Mysteryhunt
08-28-2006, 07:04 AM
im glad you dont run the team then. let kubes decide on carr, he's done wonders so far with limited time. i mean look at his amazing draft! the man knows football players in general and the qb position in particular.

thunderkyss
08-28-2006, 07:11 AM
Sterling Sharpe is a moron.

SterlingSharpe & Steve "Mooch" Mariuchi are the only talking heads on our side (about the Mario Pick) let's give SS some slack??

Besides I've always liked his commentary, He definitely understands the game more than most. He's got an "I know I'm smart attitude", but so do I. I was hoping that he would do all the games on NFL network, but it looks like they have other plans.

After a decent nights sleep, I'm a little more calmed about the situation. Considering all our penalties....... and the yards we gave up.... I think we are right on schedule to trump the AFC South. I'm still haning on 13-3. If we can play as badly as we did, still hold Denver to 107 rushing yards, and lose by 3, imagine what we could do, if we play a perfect game, and our offense plays for both halfs, and not just the second.

Maybe we should run some 7-on-7 drills pregame to warm David up or something.

thunderkyss
08-28-2006, 07:15 AM
Andre Johnson - why is it that this guy who has 4.3 speed never gets open downfield? Does it always have to be jumpball situation when Carr does throw to him? I don't know. For such an 'elite' receiver who is given such a God-like status around here, you'd think he'd do more to hold up his end. Can you say 'overrated'?

To be fair, we have no idea how wide open he may be in all those dump off situations.... If I saw him out their blocking, I'd assume those were called screens. But as I hadn't, I've got to imagine he/Moulds were either open downfield, and David didn't see them, or they never got open. But seeing how Derrick Lewis doesn't have a problem getting open, and he is on the second team(if he makes the team), I'm inclined to believe they just weren't noticed.

4Texans
08-28-2006, 07:22 AM
I
I like this new defense. They come after people and keep coming after people.

The defense really is much better this year.

I can see the D winning a couple of games for us this year. They definitely attack more than they did the past couple of years, and you see guys making some plays.:hunter:

ItsAJtime
08-28-2006, 08:28 AM
Kubiak did take blame for Carr looking bad, stating that the plays he was given were not good. I think things will be fine. For some reason they are calling better plays for Sage. Sage gets to throw the ball down field more. Carr looks pretty good on roll outs, so I think we will see more in the regular season. Lets back Carr until a few regular season games are over.

powerfuldragon
08-28-2006, 08:36 AM
Why didn't vernand get the start?

Runner
08-28-2006, 08:41 AM
Why didn't vernand get the start?

Same reason Wand, Bruener, and McKinneyb didn't.

Whatever that is. :)

thunderkyss
08-28-2006, 08:54 AM
For some reason they are calling better plays for Sage. Sage gets to throw the ball down field more.

I think this deserved to be repeated.

powerfuldragon
08-28-2006, 08:58 AM
Lets back Carr until a few regular season games are over.
This did too.

tulexan
08-28-2006, 09:04 AM
I think that holding penalty when we were deep in our own territory really hurt us too. David had a nice first down completion to Lundy before it was brought back to within our 10 yard line. I think it was Spencer who was flagged, but not positive.

thunderkyss
08-28-2006, 09:08 AM
I think that holding penalty when we were deep in our own territory really hurt us too. David had a nice first down completion to Lundy before it was brought back to within our 10 yard line. I think it was Spencer who was flagged, but not positive.

It was Spencer... we started on the 17, it was half the distance to the goal, so it was spotted around the 8.........

tough situation indeed.

thunderkyss
08-28-2006, 09:10 AM
This did too.

Last night, as I was watching the game, I was going over my daughters TaeKwonDo forms..... I pointed out over half a dozen things she was doing wrong..

do you think I'm not being supportive enough??

Should I just let her do what she wants to do, and pray she never actually needs to know the proper way to block a punch??

nunusguy
08-28-2006, 09:12 AM
Same reason Wand, Bruener, and McKinneyb didn't.
Whatever that is. :)
The one that really surprised me was Owen Daniels getting the starting nod over both Breuner and Putzier. Could Daniels have a chance to start aginst the Eagles ? And is there any chance that Breuner could get cut ?

Runner
08-28-2006, 09:16 AM
The one that really surprised me was Owen Daniels getting the starting nod over both Breuner and Putzier. Could Daniels have a chance to start aginst the Eagles ? And is there any chance that Breuner could get cut ?

I don't think the "starting" TE makes that much difference since they move in and out so much depending on the play.

jerek
08-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Last night, as I was watching the game, I was going over my daughters TaeKwonDo forms..... I pointed out over half a dozen things she was doing wrong..

do you think I'm not being supportive enough??

Should I just let her do what she wants to do, and pray she never actually needs to know the proper way to block a punch??

Is this a rhetorical question? Just wondering since it appeared in ths thread.

Martial arts forms totally depend on the teacher. Tae kwon do in particular can be a poorly taught art and its teachers have an overall tendency to focus on tactics that aren't particularly or maximally combat applicable, especially in the course of katas or forms.

Totally depends on (a) caliber of teacher, (b) form in question, (c) your daughter's age/build/skill and what she's trying to do with the art (e.g. is her primary focus to have a good time and get exercise or is she trying to learn to defend herself).

jerek
08-28-2006, 09:22 AM
I don't think the "starting" TE makes that much difference since they move in and out so much depending on the play.

IMO there isn't a tremendous difference between any of our tight ends, other than Bruener's overall blocking ability. As Runner points out, they move in and out so much any way; no one TE received substantially more reps than the other last night IIRC.

kingh99
08-28-2006, 09:24 AM
"Carr throws a pick. I swear Iíve been watching this boy play this position since 2002 and heís the most snake-bit guy Iíve ever seen when it comes to deflected passes."

that's because even when he throws a pass he wants to pull it back. So it comes in off target.

Someone questioned his intelligence. He's the opposite of Brett tighten me up Farve. Farve is out of it. Carr thinks too much. He's all about minimizing interceptions. That why he gets sacked so much. He's afraid of making the wrong decision. He needs a sports psychologist to get right.

coachdent
08-28-2006, 09:33 AM
Very happy with the defensive effort.

Offensively, we were EXTREMELY vanilla. Not sure if this was by design, but not too thrilled to see all those balls going directly to the backs. It was a checkdown festival again. Fullback, Fullback, Running back, and on and on. Just can't win in the NFL dumping the ball off to the backs on every play. Few crossing routes and few plays with Moulds and AJ lining up on the same side. Lots of balanced sets with little movement.

Too many fullback sets. Very limiting in today's NFL. Want to see more single back zone and less fullback lead.

Bootlegs looked good.

When Rosenfeld came out ont he field, the routes changed, as did the formations. Hopefully Kubiak was keeping it vanilla.

Disappointed in Carr's effort. The quick checkdowns are emblematic of the old offense and insecurity over the pass rush. He needs to get comfortable real quick and realize that he has more time now then before. He also needs to trust his legs a bit more. He tried to throw a ball back into the middle of the field on 3rd and 3 and he could have just waltzed for the first down.

Not the end of the world, but certainly not a finished product. Waiver wire priority would be to get a viable third wide receiver.

SESupergenius
08-28-2006, 09:48 AM
Moulds was slow off the snap to set his guy up. Carr in an example of something he is not supposed to be able to do put a lot of air under the ball in an early thrown ball. 50/50 fault in my book going down to still figuring each other out. Moulds showed plenty of speed on the 2nd half of the route.

At first I was down on AJ for not making a play on that ball but looking at it closer he just got a little unbalanced such that he couldn't jump. Carr had every right to think AJ should have made that play because 80%+ he does. Just an off play--IMO a giant piece of going from a losing team to a winning team is having more of those close plays fall our way. Gonna take a while to click though.
These are the types of plays that receivers are supposed to make . Moulds without a doubt just didn't have the fly speed needed to go deep on that play. AJ just flat out missed his opportunity to be a big play makers. He misjudged the pass and ended up on his butt. He should kept running and leaped to get the ball over his shoulder.

thunderkyss
08-28-2006, 10:09 AM
Is this a rhetorical question? Just wondering since it appeared in ths thread.

Martial arts forms totally depend on the teacher. Tae kwon do in particular can be a poorly taught art and its teachers have an overall tendency to focus on tactics that aren't particularly or maximally combat applicable, especially in the course of katas or forms.

Totally depends on (a) caliber of teacher, (b) form in question, (c) your daughter's age/build/skill and what she's trying to do with the art (e.g. is her primary focus to have a good time and get exercise or is she trying to learn to defend herself).

So you're saying I'm not being supportive enough??

thunderkyss
08-28-2006, 10:17 AM
These are the types of plays that receivers are supposed to make . Moulds without a doubt just didn't have the fly speed needed to go deep on that play. AJ just flat out missed his opportunity to be a big play makers. He misjudged the pass and ended up on his butt. He should kept running and leaped to get the ball over his shoulder.

Or Carr over threw him...... timing issues.

on the pass to AJ, I think it was definitely a bad throw. It was like he was throwing to the Corner, when AJ was clearly on the inside. AJ had to jump up, and fade back to even get his hands on it.

HOU-TEX
08-28-2006, 10:37 AM

on the pass to AJ, I think it was definitely a bad throw. It was like he was throwing to the Corner, when AJ was clearly on the inside. AJ had to jump up, and fade back to even get his hands on it.

Both of the passes were decently thrown balls. The one to Moulds looked as if it was unexpected. Moulds appeared to come off the ball jogging. When he noticed the ball coming his way he then picked his speed up. If he was full speed the whole route, the ball would've been caught. The ball to AJ was basically a jump ball. I think 8 out of 10 times, he would've brought the ball down. This is what I saw. I sure others see it different, which is fine.:cool:

TheCD
08-28-2006, 10:40 AM
I'm not going to go into the offense, because it was mostly a disaster last night...with the exception of when they picked up the pace in the 2-minute drill.

The defense, however, there were good things and bad.

I'm glad that I got to see us go up against a good o-line such as Denver, it really puts pressure on the entire line (including Mario). I didn't see anything spectacular from Mario or the rest of the line myself, which is one thing I'm dissapointed with, but I think the LB's did a great job.

The secondary was being pummeled last night, even DR was having some trouble covering his guys.

Our 1st quarter rushing defense was good...but 2nd quarter, Denver made some adjustments and fixed that problem.

But the one thing I liked the most about last night was overall containment in the passing game. Whenever a receiver would catch a ball, there would be 3 or more defenders swarming on him like bees. Like any defensive coach will tell you...this is rule #1 for pass plays. Obviously, the logic is simple: if there are 3 or more players around the receiver when the ball is caught, how is he going to get past them; he won't. While we gave up some crucial plays, we never really allowed that huge pass play that would put the nail in the coffin in the past for us.

I think the best thing for me is that for once, I'm actually excited when the defense comes out. I no longer have the 'oh crap, how many points are we going to have to make up this time' mentality. I think the most important things that I've seen from Ryans and Williams is that they provide solid anchors to help the defense do its job. I'd just like to see us get that one killer safety in FA or the Draft next year...I think that would set us up real nice.

Runner
08-28-2006, 10:41 AM
I think 8 out of 10 times, he would've brought the ball down.

Something like that.

I want Dre to get lots of chances to make plays like that - I want an aggressive offense. Just because it missed this time doesn't mean he won't make the play the next. He has to get his chances to be a big time receiver for this offense to improve.

real
08-28-2006, 10:41 AM

Still doesn't exscuse him from not making the play...Maybe if it were Walter's trying to make the catch...but AJ is supposed to be a super stud..he's supposed to be well on his way to elite...he has to make difficult grabs or he will be classified as just another reciever with tremendous talent...And the throw may not have been perfect, but it was definitely catchable...

wags
08-28-2006, 10:43 AM
One other thing that really stuck out to me last night is that Carr is throwing off his back foot. I don't think I saw him throw a pass that he stepped through. I'm very disappointed in his "progress." That's a bad David Carr. :slap:

SESupergenius
08-28-2006, 10:58 AM

Na, to me that wasn't overthrown, AJ just didn't time it well as the cornerback made a better line on the ball than AJ did, and they were step in step. The cornerback almost intercepted it, so that negates it being labeled a bad throw if they were both step in step with each other. AJ should have kept running straight and leaped to catch the ball over his headwith his torso facing the endzone instead of turning in and the backpeddling and trying to adjust to the ball while facing the ball with his torso.

Kaiser Toro
08-28-2006, 11:03 AM
One other thing that really stuck out to me last night is that Carr is throwing off his back foot. I don't think I saw him throw a pass that he stepped through. I'm very disappointed in his "progress." That's a bad David Carr. :slap:

Funny post.

That's a bad Mr. Kitty. :slap:

TexansCM
08-28-2006, 11:03 AM
Kubiak did take blame for Carr looking bad, stating that the plays he was given were not good. I think things will be fine. For some reason they are calling better plays for Sage. Sage gets to throw the ball down field more. Carr looks pretty good on roll outs, so I think we will see more in the regular season. Lets back Carr until a few regular season games are over.

Let's give Kubiak a break for early conservative play calling. The night before was the first time he saw his wife in a month.:coolb:

thunderkyss
08-28-2006, 11:05 AM
Both of the passes were decently thrown balls. The one to Moulds looked as if it was unexpected. Moulds appeared to come off the ball jogging. When he noticed the ball coming his way he then picked his speed up. If he was full speed the whole route, the ball would've been caught. The ball to AJ was basically a jump ball. I think 8 out of 10 times, he would've brought the ball down. This is what I saw. I sure others see it different, which is fine.:cool:

I agree on the Moulds catch....... the AJ throw........

no reason to air it out like that when a 5'8" corner gives AJ the inside.

HOU-TEX
08-28-2006, 11:06 AM
Something like that.

I want Dre to get lots of chances to make plays like that - I want an aggressive offense. Just because it missed this time doesn't mean he won't make the play the next. He has to get his chances to be a big time receiver for this offense to improve.

Agreed. IIRC, isn't this the first game DC went deep? Hopefully there'll be more chances deep as the season progresses. If it was a regular season game, he would've caught it.:stirpot:

coachdent
08-28-2006, 11:10 AM
Moulds ran a Randy Moss "crusier route". That's the "I am not getting the ball on this pattern" route. When the ball went up and Moulds saw it in the air, he then tried to accelerate and catch up to it. He got caught napping.

thunderkyss
08-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Moulds ran a Randy Moss "crusier route". That's the "I am not getting the ball on this pattern" route. When the ball went up and Moulds saw it in the air, he then tried to accelerate and catch up to it. He got caught napping.

agreed.......... I bet Kubiak ran all up & down his backside last night.

AJ's as well.

HOU-TEX
08-28-2006, 11:39 AM

Let's just hope all that junk is left here in the pre-season.:redtowel:

nunusguy
08-28-2006, 12:11 PM
IMO there isn't a tremendous difference between any of our tight ends, other than Bruener's overall blocking ability. As Runner points out, they move in and out so much any way; no one TE received substantially more reps than the other last night IIRC.
As a practical matter, maybe that's the case with Kubiaks TEs. But I don't think the "starter" designation is randonly passed out, especially when the
game is the most important dress rehearsal for the regular season opener
and the starter is a rookie instead of one of the vets competing with
the rook for the position. Instead, perhaps we have a symbolic message being sent to whom it may concern ?

real
08-28-2006, 12:13 PM
As a practical matter, maybe that's the case with Kubiaks TEs. But I don't think the "starter" designation is randonly passed out, especially when the
game is the most important dress rehearsal for the regular season opener
and the starter is a rookie instead of one of the vets competing with
the rook for the position. Instead, perhaps we have a symbolic message being sent to whom it may concern ?

I don't think that much should be read into it...I think on any given sunday, any one of our tightends could find theirselves being the "starter"...

Meloy
08-28-2006, 12:28 PM

At first I was down on AJ for not making a play on that ball but looking at it closer he just got a little unbalanced such that he couldn't jump. Carr had every right to think AJ should have made that play because 80%+ he does. Just an off play--IMO a giant piece of going from a losing team to a winning team is having more of those close plays fall our way. Gonna take a while to click though. I read both plays as you did. I am hopeful that Carr & his recievers will be on same page very soon.:redtowel:

TexansAllTheWayBaby
08-28-2006, 12:33 PM
Okay, this was the biggest pre-season game, as it was the 3rd and the startes played the most in. We knew it would be challenge playing a tough team in Denver, espically in their place. I think we did a few good things and some bad things.

Offensively, we got off to a slow start once again, something I did not want to see. David got sacked twice on 3rd down, threw a pic and our offensive line looked jumpy. We need to start off better on offense.

One thing that did impress me offensively was out two-minutre drive type situation before the second half. I thought David ran the offense very well in that situation, completing a lot of passes very fast paced. I think this is when David can shine is a fast paced offense in this system, we see a little bit of that last night in this situation. We got a field goal out of it, and I hate to make excuses but if it wasn't for ref. Ed Hockuley i think we could have potentailly got more (he explained a rule and the play-clock kept running), and this resulted in our delay of game penalty. Overall, I liked what I seen on this two-minute drill type offense.

In terms of the running game, it was descent, we left some yardage out their. We didnt do that bad, didnt do that great running the ball with Lundy/Moreceny.

In the second half, I think our first-team offense played better. We got another field goal. On our last first-team offense drive, Gary Kubiak let us go for it on 4th-and-1 which I feel was a good descision, but like I said earlier, we were jumpy at times and on this play Owen Daniels, the rookie, jumped and we foreced to punt. He's a rookie, it was loud stadium, it's going to happen. We do though need to get better on false start penalties by reducing them.

Overall on offense, a few good things, some bad things. We need to get off to a better start. I think we can and will get off to a better start offesively in the future.

On defense, we played well. Our defense kept us in this game. We made some nice plays. We got some pressure on the QB. I was espically impressed with the way our guys got of the field on 3rd down. We did give up that TD in the first half, but could have held them to a FG (Alfred Malone lined up against the center and resulted in an illegal formation penatly). As a result, our defense had a very short field to work with and gave up the TD.

We did play very well on defense, I liked us being aggresive. Defensive coordinator Richard Smith knows what he is doing. I thought we stopped the run decently, we did give up some yardage in this category though.

Overall defensively, we did play well. We have a young defense cetnered around Mario Williams and DeMeco Ryans. DeMeco Ryans played a good game. He's physical and smart. I like him and think he has the potentail to be an outstanding MLB. I think he was great steal in the 2nd round of the draft. This defense does excite me, we got alot of young talent.

This game featured, again, a few good thing and a few bad things. We need to get off to a better start offensively. We are playing good defense, thats encouraging. We did show some positvites on offense including the nice 2-minute drill type-drive. I thought our guys fought hard and played with determination and emotion. Thats a positive.

Continue to cheer us on fans, our boys are back and ready to play!
Go Texans!

Texans_Chick
08-28-2006, 01:48 PM
My review of the game is posted. I am pleasantly surprised that they didn't edit it. (I used the word "brokebackian" as an adjective).

Here it is: Broncos beat Texans 17-14: Reaction (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/08/broncos_beat_texans_1714_react.html)

It is more of a capturing of the zeitgeist of the game more than a position by position breakdown.

Hervoyel
08-28-2006, 02:14 PM
One thing about our defense is it's going to be aggressive and probably prone to overpursuing the play at times. Those of us who were Oiler fans when "The Runt in Black" stalked the sidelines remember the way Richard Smith's special teams and linebackers played.

They're going to give up some yards from time to time. The aggression should pay off though and the Texans today strike me as more disciplined than the Oilers did back then. They look more focused which makes sense because Smith is probably a better coach today than he was back then.

cuppacoffee
08-28-2006, 02:39 PM
To be fair, we have no idea how wide open he may be in all those dump off situations.... If I saw him out their blocking, I'd assume those were called screens. But as I hadn't, I've got to imagine he/Moulds were either open downfield, and David didn't see them, or they never got open. But seeing how Derrick Lewis doesn't have a problem getting open, and he is on the second team(if he makes the team), I'm inclined to believe they just weren't noticed.

Why would you be inclined to believe that?

Andre isn't good enough to get open against other teams 1's.

He can't out jump or out muscle a 5'9" DB.

Ever stop and think that maybe AJ is the epitome of over-rated?

Lewis is good enough to get open against other teams 2's and 3's.

JMHO, as usual.

:coffee:

tulexan
08-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Something I've noticed over the preseason is that although Carr has started off slow in every game and then picks it up after a little while, he has gotten better in each game when he picks it up. He looked much better this game when he started rolling than he did in the first two games.

HeartofHouston
08-29-2006, 09:58 AM
Carr played well, started slow but picked up as the game went on..

I can't believe we are in a toe to toe battle with THE denver broncos.

What the Heck!?!? AJ you telling me that you can't outjump Darrent Williams he's 5'8" for goodness sakes..

Morency was decent but Lundy was solid.

Moulds did a pretty good job.

Holy crap Ryans was everywhere.

Lewis Sanders did a pretty good job.

2 back to back offsides in a row.. What the Heck!?!?

Nawzer
08-29-2006, 10:36 AM
My impressions of this game is similar to that of the Chiefs game. Carr was horrible to start off the game and made a lot of mistakes. He was better later on but you can't start of games so poorly in the NFL and expect to win a lot of games. Once again Carr seemed like he was throwing off of his back foot and just flinging the ball as hard as he could. That int he threw was inexcusable for a 5th year starting qb in the NFL. Also that fumble in the start of the game is not excusable. He hasn't shown any touch and he always seems to overthrow. I guess it's better to overthrow than to underthrow but he's got to show some touch on his passes instead of just firing fastballs. I wish I could look at some game films to see if there weren't any receivers open in the middle. Seems like the Broncos completed a lot of passes over the middle but Carr or the Texans couldn't do much of that. To many passes to our fullback and running backs. Overall I thought Carr had a pretty bad game. He needs to improve quickly. And I've been a DC supporter all along...

The rest of the team looked pretty good. The defense was excellent with Ryans and Sanders stood out. Mario was good. And Kris Brown connected on both of his field goal chances. Overall it was a good showing for our defense and our offense played well but we must get off to a faster start.

PoolMaster21
08-29-2006, 10:51 AM
One thing about our defense is it's going to be aggressive and probably prone to overpursuing the play at times. Those of us who were Oiler fans when "The Runt in Black" stalked the sidelines remember the way Richard Smith's special teams and linebackers played.

They're going to give up some yards from time to time. The aggression should pay off though and the Texans today strike me as more disciplined than the Oilers did back then. They look more focused which makes sense because Smith is probably a better coach today than he was back then.

YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! The kind of defense that's a joy to watch - I'll take some good hits and disruptive plays over "read and react", don't make mistakes, quiche-eating caution any day!!!!!!!!!!!

HOU-TEX
08-29-2006, 10:57 AM
My impressions of this game is similar to that of the Chiefs game. Carr was horrible to start off the game and made a lot of mistakes. He was better later on but you can't start of games so poorly in the NFL and expect to win a lot of games. Once again Carr seemed like he was throwing off of his back foot and just flinging the ball as hard as he could. That int he threw was inexcusable for a 5th year starting qb in the NFL. Also that fumble in the start of the game is not excusable. He hasn't shown any touch and he always seems to overthrow. I guess it's better to overthrow than to underthrow but he's got to show some touch on his passes instead of just firing fastballs. I wish I could look at some game films to see if there weren't any receivers open in the middle. Seems like the Broncos completed a lot of passes over the middle but Carr or the Texans couldn't do much of that. To many passes to our fullback and running backs. Overall I thought Carr had a pretty bad game. He needs to improve quickly. And I've been a DC supporter all along...

The rest of the team looked pretty good. The defense was excellent with Ryans and Sanders stood out. Mario was good. And Kris Brown connected on both of his field goal chances. Overall it was a good showing for our defense and our offense played well but we must get off to a faster start.

I'm definetly not a Carr hater or a Carr backer, but there were others involved with the poor play of the first couple of series. Carr did make a couple mistakes but he's not the one that caused all the penalties, the sack, the bad punt, etc. There's still alot of improvement needed across the board IMO. Take a couple mistakes away and we would've won the game. And half of these bashing posts would even be here. :twocents:

thunderkyss
08-29-2006, 11:51 AM
Something I've noticed over the preseason is that although Carr has started off slow in every game and then picks it up after a little while, he has gotten better in each game when he picks it up. He looked much better this game when he started rolling than he did in the first two games.

Carr played well, started slow but picked up as the game went on..
.. What the Heck!?!?

As long as teams continue to sub 60% of their starters in the second half, we should be OK

I'm definetly not a Carr hater or a Carr backer, but there were others involved with the poor play of the first couple of series. Carr did make a couple mistakes but he's not the one that caused all the penalties, the sack, the bad punt, etc. There's still alot of improvement needed across the board IMO. Take a couple mistakes away and we would've won the game. And half of these bashing posts would even be here. :twocents:

True enough.....