FS - Brown, Simmons

PK - Brown
P - Stanley
LS - Pittman

PUP
DD, Wong, Mathis

D-ReK
08-26-2006, 04:51 PM
Where does Dom Davis fit into your equation?

Kaiser Toro
08-26-2006, 04:53 PM

PUP

texanskan
08-26-2006, 04:54 PM

you got him there but everything else is close and dam that aint a bad roster now is it.

D-ReK
08-26-2006, 05:02 PM
PUP

Makes sense, and may I say, nice, swift edit my friend ;) ...

Your roster looks good except for the fact that I think we're going to claim a player or two off waivers that end up making the final roster...

Kaiser Toro
08-26-2006, 05:05 PM
Makes sense, and may I say, nice, swift edit my friend ;) ...

Your roster looks good except for the fact that I think we're going to claim a player or two off waivers that end up making the final roster...

The PUP list was there. The edit was for a number placeholder to get to the number correct. :)

It is 8/26 and wanted to take a stab and make me more vested about the 3rd and 4th quarters for the next two games.

NEROtheZERO
08-26-2006, 05:12 PM
Didn't Kubiak say we were using an 8 man rotation on the defensive line? You have 9 listed there. Also, don't teams generally go with 5 WR?

D-Rek, I agree. I think we will pick up at least a CB and a WR off of waivers.

Kaiser Toro
08-26-2006, 05:18 PM
Didn't Kubiak say we were using an 8 man rotation on the defensive line? You have 9 listed there. Also, don't teams generally go with 5 WR?

D-Rek, I agree. I think we will pick up at least a CB and a WR off of waivers.

I may have missed the quote, but I like Cochran and do not see us cutting anyone else. It is my gut, which has staples in it right now, we keep 4 WR's. I just do not see the need for a fifth, outside of ST and I like ST to normally come off the D.

thunderkyss
08-26-2006, 05:24 PM
I agree with Cochran..... I'd like to keep him. But we're going to have to cut someone we don't want to sooner or later.

Kalu, has been playing like a man possessed....... IMHO ,our best option to getting down to eight...... to put our best 8 on the field, would be to drop Robaire........

Also, Both DD & Wong will be back ready to start for week one.... we can't put them on the PuP...

Kaiser Toro
08-26-2006, 05:29 PM
Also, Both DD & Wong will be back ready to start for week one.... we can't put them on the PuP...

I have no reason to believe that given any reports and honestly I would rather see them become available after Week 6 and let them get the rest they need. Few have expectations this is the year for the playoffs. DD and Wong are under contract next year and I have no problem adding them in healthy this year or shutting them down due to people stepping up this year.

V Man
08-26-2006, 05:30 PM
Pretty good list, but I think Alfred Malone will be at DT, not Cocharn (the one who doesn't make the 53, will probably be on the practice squad). I know on the Depth Chart, Cocharn is list above him. But in both preseason games Malone is always around the ball. Malone was in the DL rotation in the first half against the Rams, while Cocharn didn't see the field until the third string was in during the second half. Also Cocharn seems more like a DE type, than a DT. :twocents:

texan279
08-26-2006, 05:30 PM
I agree with Cochran..... I'd like to keep him. But we're going to have to cut someone we don't want to sooner or later.

Kalu, has been playing like a man possessed....... IMHO ,our best option to getting down to eight...... to put our best 8 on the field, would be to drop Robaire........

Is this your opinion or do you have a link/source?

Kaiser Toro
08-26-2006, 05:32 PM
Pretty good list, but I think Alfred Malone will be at DT, not Cocharn (the one who doesn't make the 53, will probably be on the practice squad). I know on the Depth Chart, Cocharn is list above him. But in both preseason games Malone is always around the ball. Malone was in the DL rotation in the first half against the Rams, while Cocharn didn't see the field until the third string was in during the second half. Also Cocharn seems more like a DE type, than a DT. :twocents:

I have liked them both and do agree with their different styles. One or both will be going to the PS in my opinion.

GP
08-26-2006, 05:32 PM

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Say that to Robaire's face. :shades:

texanfan2100
08-26-2006, 06:41 PM
QB - David Carr, Sage Rosenfels

Pretty good guess, but they're gonna keep three QB's. Practically every team in football keeps three on their roster. So Porter will probally make it. If not Porter, there have been rumors that if Van Pelt is cut by the Broncos, he'll sign on as the 3rd QB here.

thunderkyss
08-26-2006, 06:45 PM
Is this your opinion or do you have a link/source?

Wong said so on the sideline at the StL game...... & I heard the DD thing this morning on NFLs Total Access....

I know the DD thing isn't solid, so I've been waiting to see something in print.. haven't seen it yet though....

Grid
08-26-2006, 06:52 PM
I posted my lineup in another forum..pretty close to yours.. but I dropped Kalu in favor of Cochran.

I figure with Williams, Peek, Babin, Weaver, and even possibly Smith capable of playing DE for us.. we will be alright without Kalu, and he hasnt impressed me as of yet.

I took 5 WRs though.. Johnson, Moulds, Walters, Lewis, Schifino.

I figured that schifino (or maybe anderson instead) could do KR until Mathis comes back.

Grid
08-26-2006, 06:56 PM
Kalu, has been playing like a man possessed

Wow..I totally havent seen that. Am I the only guy that missed this? Has Kalu actually done anything noticable? He got a sack in the first game against KC.. I remember that..thats about all though.

Kaiser Toro
08-26-2006, 06:58 PM
I posted my lineup in another forum..pretty close to yours.. but I dropped Kalu in favor of Cochran.

I figure with Williams, Peek, Babin, Weaver, and even possibly Smith capable of playing DE for us.. we will be alright without Kalu, and he hasnt impressed me as of yet.

I took 5 WRs though.. Johnson, Moulds, Walters, Lewis, Schifino.

I figured that schifino (or maybe anderson instead) could do KR until Mathis comes back.

This is a big week for Kalu in my opinion. Schifino goes to PS with Taylor taking KR duties is my thinking.

texan279
08-26-2006, 06:58 PM
Wong said so on the sideline at the StL game...... & I heard the DD thing this morning on NFLs Total Access....

I know the DD thing isn't solid, so I've been waiting to see something in print.. haven't seen it yet though....

LINK (http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/content/player.asp?sport=NFL&id=1614)

Aug. 22, 2006 - 5:01 p.m. ET

Texans coach Gary Kubiak was hopeful Domanick Davis (knee) could practice by the end of the week.

"He wonít be pushed to be back out there. Itís got to be right, itís his knee and heíll know," Kubiak said. We've heard this before. Davis probably has to return soon for any realistic hope of being ready for the season.

Domanick Davis still has no timeline to return from his knee injury.

Wali Lundy and Vernand Morency look likely to split carries in Week 1, with Antowain Smith possibly in the mix. "I think the next step is to get him on the practice field, and we'll go from there," coach Gary Kubiak said.

LINK (http://www.jimfeist.com/Injuries.asp?Sport=NFL)

LB Kailee Wong Knee Placed on the pre-season physically unable to perform list. 8/17

thunderkyss
08-26-2006, 07:12 PM
Wow..I totally havent seen that. Am I the only guy that missed this? Has Kalu actually done anything noticable? He got a sack in the first game against KC.. I remember that..thats about all though.

Yeah, he's got the one sack, but a lot of pressure..... I think. when he's in the game, I think he's getting as much pressure if not more than any other guy on our line. Robaire, and Weaver have been the biggest disappointments to me as far as guys who should make the 8......

I admit, that's only watching the preseason games....... I have no access to the practices, and after seeing Babin, Peek, Wand, Weary, TJ, and others, I find it hard to believe many of the reports we've been given..

thunderkyss
08-26-2006, 07:19 PM
LINK (http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/content/player.asp?sport=NFL&id=1614)

LINK (http://www.jimfeist.com/Injuries.asp?Sport=NFL)

aGian, I have to ask you what you are arguing, because I don't see how those links have anything to do with what I said.

I said, "I heard on NFL this morning, that DD said he will be ready for the opener, I've been looking for something in print to substantiate this, but have yet to." I'm paraphrasing... So posting news stories from any day prior to 8/26/006, it is irrelevant......

texan279
08-26-2006, 07:21 PM
aGian, I have to ask you what you are arguing, because I don't see how those links have anything to do with what I said.

I said, "I heard on NFL this morning, that DD said he will be ready for the opener, I've been looking for something in print to substantiate this, but have yet to." I'm paraphrasing... So posting news stories from any day prior to 8/26/006, it is irrelevant......

I am not arguing, just saying it is highly unlikely that either of them see the field against the iggles, and you have been pretty adamant that DD will start in week 1 for while now...I don't know why you seem to think when I post something in response to something that you post you think I am trying to argue, everyone here has different views and are here to discuss them.

Kaiser Toro
08-26-2006, 07:27 PM
I do not see the benefit of having DD active until he is healthy and there has been no date even considered. Put him on the PUP with Wong and Mathis. We can always let go of Smith and activate DD if needed off of the PUP. If Morency does what I think he is going to do a healthy DD will be trade bait after this year.

texan279
08-26-2006, 07:29 PM
I do not see the benefit of having DD active until he is healthy and there has been no date even considered. Put him on the PUP with Wong and Mathis. We can always let go of Smith and activate DD if needed off of the PUP. If Morency does what I think he is going to do a healthy DD will be trade bait after this year.

When did we start allowing logic back into posts? :spy:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Kaiser Toro again.

cuppacoffee
08-26-2006, 07:37 PM
QB - David Carr, Sage Rosenfels
RB - Morency, Lundy, Smith, Taylor
FB - Cook, Joppru
TE - Bruener, Putzier, Daniels
LT - Wand, Spencer
LG - Pitts
C - Flanagan, Hodgdon
RG - McKinney, Weary
RT - Weigert, Salaam, Winston
WR - AJ, Moulds, Walter, Lewis

LDE - Weaver, Kalu
LDT - TJ, Cochran
RDT - Smith, Payne,
RDE - Williams, Peek, Babin
SAM - Orr, Anderson, Watson
MIKE - Ryans, Cowart
WILL - Greenwood, Evans
LCB - Robinson, McCleon
RCB - Buchanon, Sanders, Faggins
SS - Earl, Stone
FS - Brown, Simmons

PK - Brown
P - Stanley
LS - Pittman

PUP
DD, Wong, Mathis

I'm not too sure A Smith makes it at RB on this team.

Whats the opinion here on M Estelle making it here as a db.
May be my imagination but it seems I've seen him making a few plays.

Overall a good looking roster, but like mentioned elsewhere, I look for a couple of pickups after the last cutdown.

LB and DB most likely.

:coffee:

Kaiser Toro
08-26-2006, 07:44 PM
I'm not too sure A Smith makes it at RB on this team.

Whats the opinion here on M Estelle making it here as a db.
May be my imagination but it seems I've seen him making a few plays.

Overall a good looking roster, but like mentioned elsewhere, I look for a couple of pickups after the last cutdown.

LB and DB most likely.

:coffee:

The only reason I keep Smith is the lack of a veteran on the RB squad if DD goes to the PUP. Estelle has caught my eye. This is what I have as of today with changes most likely coming to it after tomorrow night.

Hottoddie
08-26-2006, 08:31 PM
I remember hearing on one of the news broadcasts that we'll keep 9, & possibly 10, D-Linemen on the roster. I agree with your picks, but I see either Charlie Anderson, or Courtney Watson going on the Taxi Squad, & a 3rd QB being on the roster. Also, if Morency & Lundy continue performing as they've been doing, I see Smith being the odd man out when DD returns. He hasn't done anything to speak of in the preseason, & just doesn't seem to me to be right for the system.

Number19
08-26-2006, 10:31 PM
Pretty good guess, but they're gonna keep three QB's. Practically every team in football keeps three on their roster. So Porter will probally make it. If not Porter, there have been rumors that if Van Pelt is cut by the Broncos, he'll sign on as the 3rd QB here.Porter is an undrafted, free agent, rookie and a virtual lock to clear waivers. A third string QB seldom gets snaps during the season, his job being to impersonate the opposition QB during defensive drills. With Carr's history of durability, the team will carry only two QB's on the 53 man roster, and Porter will be signed to the practice squad after clearing waivers, where his job will be exactly the same as if he were on the active roster.

GP
08-27-2006, 12:31 AM
A. Smith has to get cut, and we pick up someone off waivers to take his spot. I don't buy the "veteran player" argument. I cannot even believe that he was on our team in the first place. He has no speed, and he finds a pile every time he runs up to the line. Just seems to have an instinct for plowing his facemask into the defenders like it's a goal line situation.

I think we keep a ninth man in our defensive linemen rotation, as Kaiser Toro has proposed.

LDE - Weaver, Kalu
LDT - TJ, Cochran
RDT - Smith, Payne,
RDE - Williams, Peek, Babin

Peek and Babin are, IMO, on fairly equal ground--Peek has a raw talent about him that just seems to come out better than Babin. Who knows, I think if one of those guys DOES get cut (out of all nine guys mentioned above) I actually think it will be Babin.

I haven't been displeased with any of those nine guys, or at least not enough to warrant a "Geez, we gotta' cut this guy" comment. So, I hope we keep all nine of them because we're going to need fresh legs.

I would like to see McCleon and Dunta be the primary CBs with Buchanon playing a Palumalo-type role. I used to bang on him a lot last year. But I think he has the ability to be used in a variety of ways that can harass WRs, RBs, and even the QB. Send him on delayed blitzes, shift him around all over the place pre-snap to confuse the offense. Let him return kicks. He's not a methodical player, like Dunta, and he needs to be able to take risks. He's the kind of guy, IMO, who can turn a game quickly if he gets sure of himself.

All that said, I am not pleased with our defensive backfield schemes and coverages. It took way to long for our Dbacks to move up to the line and jam up the Rams WRs. After about the fourth or fifth consecutive Rams pass in the 1st quarter, you'd think the coaches would have inched our DBacks up to the WRs...but nope, we continued to get burned with the Rams receivers running circles around our LBs and DBs.

In addition, I think our LBs are also getting torched way too much on TE routes up the seam AND into the middle of the field. But hey, I think it's a safe bet we're not going to be bad on run defense this year.

I like the physicality of our defensive players: McCleon put the hurt on Curtis, Holt, and the QB all in one game. He was TRYING to hurt them. Our guys are really swarming, as we had been promised when Richard Smith came aboard. Just get those DBacks and Lbs into better coverages, please.

dirty steve
08-27-2006, 02:45 AM
isnt there a limit, experience (service time) wise, when you cant put a guy on the practice squad?

Number19
08-27-2006, 10:04 AM
isnt there a limit, experience (service time) wise, when you cant put a guy on the practice squad?A team can place as many as 8 players on its practice squad consisting of rookies and young veterans. The young veteran must have been a member of a main roster for less than 9 games, and players can be a member of the practice team for a max of two years. A year is counted as 17 weeks (one regular season) and I'm not certain if this means a max of 34 weeks or whether it simply means being a member for any part of two seasons.

I could not find any single source with a comprehensive definition. This information was obtained and pieced together from multiple sources and may or may not be completely accurate.

Kaiser Toro
08-27-2006, 10:11 AM
A team can place as many as 8 players on its practice squad consisting of rookies and young veterans. The young veteran must have been a member of a main roster for less than 9 games, and players can be a member of the practice team for a max of two years. A year is counted as 17 weeks (one regular season) and I'm not certain if this means a max of 34 weeks or whether it simply means being a member for any part of two seasons.

I could not find any single source with a comprehensive definition. This information was obtained and pieced together from multiple sources and may or may not be completely accurate.

http://www.nflpa.org/CBA/CBA_Complete.aspx#art34

PRACTICE SQUADS

Section 1. Practice Squads: For each regular season commencing with the 1993 League Year, the League may elect in accordance with this Article to establish practice squads not to exceed five (5) players per Club.

Section 2. Signing With Other Clubs: Any player under contract to a Club as a practice squad player shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club at any time during the League Year, to serve as a player on any Clubís Active or Inactive List, and any Club is completely free to negotiate and sign such a Player Contract with such player, without penalty or restriction, including, but not limited to, Draft Choice Compensation between Clubs or First Refusal Rights of any kind, or any signing period, except that such player shall not be permitted to sign a Player Contract with another Club to serve as a practice squad player while under contract as a practice squad player.

Section 3. Salary: Minimum salary for a practice squad player shall be $3,300 per week for the 1993-97 League Years, $3,650 per week for the 1998-99 League Years, $4,000 per week for the 2000-02 League Years, and $4,350 for the 2003-04 League Years, including post‑season weeks in which his Club is in the playoffs, provided however, that no player who was on a practice squad in the 1992 season shall be paid less than the minimum practice squad salary for that season.

*Extension Agreement 2/25/98

Section 4. Eligibility:

(a) The practice squad shall consist of the following players, provided that they have not served more than one previous season on a Practice Squad: (i) players who do not have an Accrued Season of NFL experience; and (ii) free agent players who were on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s). No player may be a practice squad player for more than two seasons.

(b) A player shall be deemed to have served on a Practice Squad in a season if he has passed the clubís physical and has been a member of a clubís Practice Squad for at least three regular season or post-season games (a bye week counts as a game provided that the player is not terminated until after the regular season or post-season weekend in question).

* If a player on the Practice Squad of one club (Club A) signs an NFL Player Contract with another club (Club B),

(1) the player shall receive three weeks salary of his NFL Player Contract at the 53-player Active/Inactive List minimum even if he is terminated by Club B prior to earning that amount, and (2) Club B is required to count the player on its 53-player Active/Inactive List for three games (a bye week counts as a game) even if he is terminated or assigned via waivers to another club or is signed as a free agent to another clubís 53-player roster or another clubís Practice Squad prior to that time. If the player is terminated from Club Bís 53-player roster and signed to Club Bís Practice Squad, he shall continue to count on the clubís 53-player Active/Inactive List but shall not count against the five-player Practice Squad limit until the three-game requirement has been fulfilled. If a player is terminated prior to the completion of the three-game period and is signed to Club Bís Practice Squad or is signed or assigned to another clubís 53-player roster or Practice Squad, any salary (as that term is defined in Article XXIV, Section 1(c)) that he receives from any NFL club applicable to the three-game period shall be an offset against the three weeks salary that he is entitled to receive from Club B.

Number19
08-27-2006, 11:18 AM
Reading this legal mumbo-jumbo, I think it pretty well says what I stated, except it also clarifies that a practice squad "season" is 3 regular season games, a bye-week counting as a game, or post season games.

Here is the update expanding the practice squad from 5 members to 8 :
http://www.nflpa.org/RulesAndRegs/PracticeSquadChanges.aspx

dat_boy_yec
08-27-2006, 11:49 AM
I agree with what has been said before. Smith should be cut. Once DD comes back Taylor should be waived and signed to the practice squad. If we need to make room. I don't think Salaam will make it, if he does there is a risk they will attempt to drop Winston and put him on the PC, but I just think they will cut Salaam, because Winston is our future swing/right Tackle. I also haven't seen Watson, but I don't think he makes it either, we'll probably pick up another LB before the season starts. Faggins should be put on the PUP list or is it Sanders, one of them is out for the season so we should pick someone up off waivers as well @cb. Wong and Davis are probable so they shouldn't be on the pup list. I would hate to see them miss time if they were healthy, but couldn't perform because they were on the list and it looks like both of them have a chance of returning soon.

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
08-27-2006, 12:59 PM
Yes I hope they keep Tayor to at least the practice squad, once DD returns, this could be talent in the making.....He looked great at training camp when I had a chance to see him........ecspecially for a rookie......anyone out there know anything about this # 62 on the Roster David Loverne UFA from Detroit?

Go Texans ! :texflag:

Kaiser Toro
08-27-2006, 01:04 PM
I agree with what has been said before. Smith should be cut. Once DD comes back Taylor should be waived and signed to the practice squad. If we need to make room. I don't think Salaam will make it, if he does there is a risk they will attempt to drop Winston and put him on the PC, but I just think they will cut Salaam, because Winston is our future swing/right Tackle. I also haven't seen Watson, but I don't think he makes it either, we'll probably pick up another LB before the season starts. Faggins should be put on the PUP list or is it Sanders, one of them is out for the season so we should pick someone up off waivers as well @cb. Wong and Davis are probable so they shouldn't be on the pup list. I would hate to see them miss time if they were healthy, but couldn't perform because they were on the list and it looks like both of them have a chance of returning soon.

Winston makes the active 53, otherwise he is not protected at all. My understanding is one exception is him going to injury status, thereby being protected.

dat_boy_yec
08-27-2006, 05:52 PM
Winston makes the active 53, otherwise he is not protected at all. My understanding is one exception is him going to injury status, thereby being protected.

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant. I think they'll cut Salaam and keep Winston.

Number19
09-01-2006, 02:15 PM
Here is the update expanding the practice squad from 5 members to 8 :
http://www.nflpa.org/RulesAndRegs/PracticeSquadChanges.aspxHere is another link informing of a recent practice squad update expanding eligibility from two years to three :
In a wrinkle that could change how some NFL teams stock their 53-man rosters, the NFL sent a memo to general managers and coaches yesterday regarding practice squad eligibility.

In the past, eligible players could only spend two seasons on the practice squad. But the memo informed teams that eligible players can now serve a maximum of three seasons on the practice squad if in the third season that team has 53 players on its active list throughout the year. http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2006/08/roster_wrinkle.html

Runner
09-01-2006, 02:16 PM
My understanding is one exception is him going to injury status, thereby being protected.

Isn't that more of an NBA trick where they have injured lists that last about a week?

El Tejano
09-01-2006, 02:28 PM
If we place someone on IR can we cut them later if it doesn't look like its going to happen?