PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Bush/Sports Illustrated August 28/06

BobbleTexan
08-25-2006, 12:02 AM
Just received the August 28 issue of SI. Article in Scorecard about R. Bush detailing all the wonderful things Bush is doing along with his sponsors. The killer part of the article is the part the about his game against the Cowboys.
Here you go. "While Bush's numbers weren't gaudy (four carries with a long gain of nine yards, and two catches for 14 yards), he left enough Cowboys defenders in his wake with his open-field moves to justify Saint Pro Bowl wide receiver Joe Horn's assessment that Bush is "an amazing talent". Open field moves? Defenders in his wake? So using that criteria, than one tackle for a loss by Mario Williams should put him in the Pro Football HOF. Man are they sucking up to Reggie Bush..........you would have thought by that comment Bush ran for 165 yards and had 3 or 4 touchdowns.............:stirpot: :pigfly: :rolleyes:

texflex513
08-25-2006, 12:06 AM
Just received the August 28 issue of SI. Article in Scorecard about R. Bush detailing all the wonderful things Bush is doing along with his sponsors. The killer part of the article is the part the about his game against the Cowboys.
Here you go. "While Bush's numbers weren't gaudy (four carries with a long gain of nine yards, and two catches for 14 yards), he left enough Cowboys defenders in his wake with his open-field moves to justify Saint Pro Bowl wide receiver Joe Horn's assessment that Bush is "an amazing talent". Open field moves? Defenders in his wake? So using that criteria, than one tackle for a loss by Mario Williams should put him in the Pro Football HOF. Man are they sucking up to Reggie Bush..........you would have thought by that comment Bush ran for 165 yards and had 3 or 4 touchdowns.............:stirpot: :pigfly: :rolleyes:
Good point but this thread will self destruct = (get booted out of here) soon.

texflex513
08-25-2006, 12:07 AM
Wow that was fast lol

Roughnecks
08-25-2006, 12:08 AM
I wise him all the best I wanted Mario in the first round I would have like to trade down and got him but all is well besides Lundy looks good enough for me besides all it takes his one juke and a defender to land on a leg and all those moves are gone I prefer a monster over a dancer.

BobbleTexan
08-25-2006, 12:10 AM
Not a problem for me.....................

cap1
08-25-2006, 12:10 AM
I wise him all the best I wanted Mario in the first round I would have like to trade down and got him but all is well besides Lundy looks good enough for me besides all it takes his one juke and a defender to land on a leg and all those moves are gone I prefer a monster over a dancer.

Sentences man. Use some periods and other High School English.

texflex513
08-25-2006, 12:13 AM
I agree and with kubiaks system you dont have to have blazing speed like bush or juke like dante hall to excel.

Roughnecks
08-25-2006, 12:32 AM
Sentences man. Use some periods and other High School English.
............................ Hows that.

HOU-TEX
08-25-2006, 01:53 PM
............................ Hows that.

You need to replace the period with a question mark when you ask a question. Now go to the principles office. Just goofin with ya:tease:

edit: Are you from West Columbia?

Titan "Tack" Fan
08-25-2006, 03:04 PM
Have you watched the games Reggie has played in? He looks about the same as he did in college. He's "broken some ankles"

like i've said before, some of you guys need to get over it

HOU-TEX
08-25-2006, 03:08 PM
Have you watched the games Reggie has played in? He looks about the same as he did in college. He's "broken some ankles"

like i've said before, some of you guys need to get over it

Speaking of ankles. How's VY coming along? NFL Network said he was struggling. Is this true?

HowBoutThemCowboys!
08-25-2006, 03:34 PM
Bush showed enormous potential against the Cowboys strong LB corps in only his second game, I don't understand why many of you are in such distrout over his performance.

JDizzle
08-25-2006, 04:06 PM
Bush showed enormous potential against the Cowboys strong LB corps in only his second game, I don't understand why many of you are in such distrout over his performance.

It's not that. I can't speak for everyone here, but my main gripe about that game was how stupid ESPN got over a 9 yard run. It was probably played more times on TV than Pujols' homer off Brad Lidge.

I have nothing against Bush and I would not have been upset had we drafted him. However, the media coverage on him is just ridiculous. It's like Yankees Vs. Red Sox and T.O. all rolled into one.

As for him showing enormous potential against the 'Boys, I disagree. a 9 yard sweep doesn't mean much in the preseason. IMO Deuce is still the #1 back on that team until Bush proves otherwise.

GuerillaBlack
08-25-2006, 04:35 PM
I really like the picture in ESPM Magazine when they show Bush being laid out.

TEXANRED
08-25-2006, 05:03 PM
I am going to agree with a COWBOY fan? OMG! But I agree.

I like Reggie. He is a decent human being who has done a lot for a community that he doesn't owe anything to. He is in N.O. helping out the team and the folks over there.

I wish Bush nothing but the best.

Oh, I almost forgot..............Cowboys suck...............Go Texans:redtowel: :tease:

santo
08-25-2006, 05:08 PM
Just wanted to bring this up....didn't know where to put it but it's beginning to get ridiculous:

2. Reggie Bush should have been the first player taken.
I don't mean that the Houston Texans should have drafted Bush, but they definitely should have entertained serious trade offers for the first overall pick and technically the rights to Bush. The Texans have too many personnel needs to have squandered such a lucrative, once-in-a-lifetime situation. When owner Bob McNair decided he didn't want Bush, the franchise should have spent the week prior to the draft eliciting potential trade offers for the pick. We know the Saints, who ended up with Bush, would have drafted Ohio State linebacker A.J. Hawk with the second pick. Tennessee most likely still would have picked Vince Young. Now, the Jets may have wanted Mario Williams, Houston's choice, but they sound like they might have made a run at Bush, considering they knew months ago that Curtis Martin was in jeopardy. The Packers, picking fifth, wouldn't have passed on Bush, either. The bottom line is that Houston messed up. They could have still landed their guy, Williams, with the fifth or sixth pick in the draft while probably adding another second-round pick (and more) by simply trading down a few spots. It's pretty unanimous that they were really dumb about not trying at all to trade the potential rights to Bush.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5899636?FSO1&ATT=HMA

nunusguy
08-25-2006, 05:19 PM
I watched just a bit of the Panthers-Dolphins last night, but long enough
to see rookie running back DeAngelo Williams make a fantastic move on a bunch of defenders for about 12-15 yards. Then heard the announcer start talking about the 98 yard KO return for a TD that Williams made earlier, but
didn't see it. When I checked out ESPNs web site this morning, it wasn't even
mentioned in their headlines. Wonder if they showed it on highlights today ?
But could you imagine the hype if Bush had run a KO back from almost 100
yards for a TD ? We'd see that rerun repeatedly all day long, day after day.

tulexan
08-25-2006, 05:27 PM
to see rookie running back DeAngelo Williams make a fantastic move on a bunch of defenders for about 12-15 yards. Then heard the announcer start talking about the 98 yard KO return for a TD that Williams made earlier, but

Bush would be immediately named MVP

santo
08-25-2006, 05:27 PM

that would have been true and I agree with you there.

I was kinda hoping they would show the Lundy and Morency highlights when the Texans had finished playing their games. They only showed them once IIRC.

GuerillaBlack
08-25-2006, 05:40 PM

I agree with you. It did happen (I saw it), but because it wasn't Reggie Bush, it didn't get much hype. You know what else, Wali Lundy, DeAngelo Williams, and Vernand Morency have done more than Bush this pre-season, but aren't talked about at all. Can't wait for the season to start.

Carr Bombed
08-25-2006, 06:03 PM
I'm sold on DeAngelo Williams, as impressive as his return has, because it showed his speed, I was more impressed with his running. I can see why Kubiak was trying to make a move to get him, he would of been perfect for this system. He runs so smooth, cuts up field and hits the hole hard with no dancing in the backfield.

I was a little disapointed in R. Brown, on that play from one yard out he hesitated and had happy feet instead of just taking the ball and going full speed forward.

I think DeAngelo Williams is going to be special.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
08-25-2006, 06:11 PM
Are you kidding? Ware put him to the grass,shook his head at Bush and said not against me!

All you have to do with Reggie is contain him and not let him get to the outside.

Like SI said, he made alot of guys miss.

infantrycak
08-25-2006, 06:17 PM

Not enough to get anywhere which is all that counts.

WWJD
08-25-2006, 06:22 PM
On a side note they had a special on some news program that the Superdome is ready for the Saints first game back (Falcons maybe?) and it was sold out.

After all that team faced last year, being displaced and all, I do hope Reggie pops a big one that game and does well.

Huge
08-25-2006, 06:25 PM
Define "a lot".

HowBoutThemCowboys!
08-25-2006, 06:36 PM
Define "a lot".

He disoriented the D a couple of plays, namely Bradie James and Terence Newman.

nunusguy
08-25-2006, 06:38 PM
Still infatuated with the Texans to the extent that you can't stay away from our Board, huh HowB ?
DeMarcus Ware didn't miss him. Took him down all by himself in the flat like he was a fat, over-the-hill little running back who couldn't turn the corner.

Carr Bombed
08-25-2006, 06:47 PM
He disoriented the D a couple of plays, namely Bradie James and Terence Newman.

It doesn't take much to disorientate Newman, I lived in Dallas during 2004 and that guy was burned left and right, he was really on Tuna's S LIST

TexanExile
08-25-2006, 08:56 PM

He made a couple of guys miss on one 9-yard play. But like SI also said, albeit only in parentheses, his line was "four carries with a long gain of nine yards, and two catches for 14 yards." (Cited earlier in the thread...so I won't repost a duplicate link)

Look, I'm not anti-Reggie. I'm anti-hype. This is garbage. The guy is currently rated 28th in the league in preseason rushing (http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/RYDS/2006/pre)--behind Josh freaking McCown!--and he's being elevated to something approaching Gale Sayers status. Take away 1 carry and he has 22 total rushing yards. If he gets to Gale Sayers-level legend on merit someday, that's awesome, but can we see him gain more than, say, 70 preseason yards first?

HowBoutThemCowboys!
08-26-2006, 03:16 PM
It doesn't take much to disorientate Newman, I lived in Dallas during 2004 and that guy was burned left and right, he was really on Tuna's S LIST

Are you kidding me? Terence Newman's maybe the #1 player on the Dallas Cowboy's defensive depth chart, and quite possibly one of the best players on the Cowboy's roster. As the #1 cornerback in Dallas, not one time last season did a wide receiver score while he was covering. It was an atrocity the man didn't make the Pro-Bowl last season.

Don't take my word for it--

"These days, Newman is having a tough time sneaking up on anyone. Coming off his best pro season, the former Kansas State standout is on the radar screen of the Cowboys' NFC East opponents and isn't expected to have a lot of passes thrown his way this season.

"He's got a big ceiling," Cowboys coach Bill Parcells said, using his favorite description of players with the potential to become perennial Pro Bowlers. "I think highly of Terence. I think he's one of our very best players."

Newman's statistics last season support Parcells' comments. Starting all 16 regular-season games, he broke up a team-high 15 passes, intercepted three and was third in tackles with 70.

Parcells also is quick to point out that Newman, the fifth overall pick of the 2003 NFL draft, did not give up a touchdown last season.

"Go find another (corner) who did that," Parcells said.

Still, Newman failed to earn a spot on the NFC Pro Bowl roster last season. But that doesn't seem to bother him.

"I remember we played Denver last year, and (Broncos cornerback) Champ (Bailey), who is probably one of the best corners in the league, if not the best, was like, 'Hey, I will see you in Hawaii,'." Newman said. "I was proud he told me that. He knows what I have, and he's one of the greats, so I was happy about that. I would like to make (the Pro Bowl), but my biggest goal is to go to the Super Bowl."

eric138
08-26-2006, 03:41 PM

Yeah, just like JJ Moses used to do... but dancing back and forth in an attempt to dodge a tackle gets you one of three things:

1. hurt.
2. low yardage.
3. a lucky shot at getting 40 yrds.

too bad for Bush that there isn't a 4th option of becoming a super star.
:pigfly:

Smash_Mouth_Mario
08-26-2006, 03:54 PM
Just wanted to bring this up....didn't know where to put it but it's beginning to get ridiculous:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5899636?FSO1&ATT=HMA

Sigh...just more of the same things we've heard before...

The headline reads one thing, but the analysis reads another...

Here's a quote from the article...

"2. Reggie Bush should have been the first player taken. I don't mean that the Houston Texans should have drafted Bush, but they definitely should have entertained serious trade offers for the first overall pick and technically the rights to Bush. "

He's saying we should have picked Reggie THEN traded him. Uh, we tried that.

Smash_Mouth_Mario
08-26-2006, 04:02 PM

HBTC, just so you understand. Most of us recognize the speed of Reggie and his ability to evade. His greatest strength is his open field speed, second is his evasion skills. The more space the better (he's not a contact back). But we are angry about is that ESPN makes these skills out to be the end-all-be-all of greatness. It's not true. From from it.

This all reminds me of the Allen Iverson hype we saw years ago. A.I. is no more Michael Jordan than Reggie is Jim Brown.

Wolf
08-26-2006, 04:15 PM
I don't hate Reggie Bush, I have nothing against the guy personally, but the media is really making me not like him. I liked Barry Sanders and the reason why is the media wasn't cramming his highlights/stories down my throat. I was able to casually flip on the news and just enjoy Barry's work..

not sit there and have bush have a game like he did against the Cowboys and they still praise him..

Here is to Morency and Wali and DD (one of them) have a better season than Bush:redtowel:

Kaiser Toro
08-26-2006, 08:48 PM
Bush is lighting it up again:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/gamecenter/live/NFL_20060826_IND@NO

RiotCommander
08-26-2006, 08:50 PM
What are you talking about 2 rushes for 0 yards, 5 catches for 20 yards? I hope that was sarcasm :)

Kaiser Toro
08-26-2006, 08:51 PM
What are you talking about 2 rushes for 0 yards, 5 catches for 20 yards? I hope that was sarcasm :)

Could be, but then again this is the standard that ESPN is using for being an unbelievable NFL player. ;)

RiotCommander
08-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Could be, but then again this is the standard that ESPN is using for being an unbelievable NFL player. ;)

Yeah, "I done seen enough!"

Edit: God we are never going to hear the end of it now. He has over 20 yards rushing. (Bush just fumbled, guess that wont be on the highlight package)

tulexan
08-26-2006, 09:49 PM

Now he is the most improved player in the league. He went from 4 rushes for 7 yards (long of 9) last week to 5 rushes for 22 yards (long of 14).

D-ReK
08-26-2006, 09:55 PM
What's the over/under on the number of times we're going to be seeing his "mammoth" 14 yard run? I'll set the bar at 500,000 and take the over...

tulexan
08-26-2006, 10:03 PM
What's the over/under on the number of times we're going to be seeing his "mammoth" 14 yard run? I'll set the bar at 500,000 and take the over...

What's the over/under on the number of times that we will see the fumble?

I'll set it at .5 and take the under.

RiotCommander
08-26-2006, 10:06 PM
You would think ESPN was paid by Bush to promote his play. I have not always respected their opinions. But most of the time I thought they were fair. Now they are trying to crown him before he does anything.

tulexan
08-26-2006, 10:08 PM
You would think ESPN was paid by Bush to promote his play. I have not always respected their opinions. But most of the time I thought they were fair. Now they are trying to crown him before he does anything.

He is an ESPN Mobile guy.

Honoring Earl 34
08-26-2006, 10:34 PM
I now know why Reggie had cubic zorconia (sp?) earrings ... it is symbolism . He may not be a real diamond either . :shoot:

edo783
08-26-2006, 11:53 PM
5 carries for 22 + 5 catches for 20 + a fumble lost Mmmm that's a multi-function 50 mill threat. Duece had 6 carries for 60+ yards and a TD.

RiotCommander
08-27-2006, 12:42 AM
5 carries for 22 + 5 catches for 20 + a fumble lost Mmmm that's a multi-function 50 mill threat. Duece had 6 carries for 60+ yards and a TD.

ESPN said that he must have been gassed and thats why he fumbled. :tv:

tulexan
08-27-2006, 08:04 AM
ESPN said that he must have been gassed and thats why he fumbled. :tv:

I think he fumbled the ball because he was holding it away from his body and in his right hand (two things he always does). He'll get stripped every time if he continues to do that.

CloakNNNdagger
08-27-2006, 02:17 PM
I think he fumbled the ball because he was holding it away from his body and in his right hand (two things he always does). He'll get stripped every time if he continues to do that.

Astute observation, tulexan..........Bush has always held the ball away from his body..........Can't believe that no one has tried to correct it before now. In about 2 out of 3 photos taken in highlight for Bush, you'll notice this "flaw".....even in traffic.

http://onlineathens.com/images/100205/22579_512.jpg

tulexan
08-27-2006, 02:18 PM
Astute observation, tulexan..........Bush has always held the ball away from his body..........Can't believe that no one has tried to correct it before now. In about 2 out of 3 photos taken in highlight for Bush, you'll notice this "flaw".....even in traffic.

http://onlineathens.com/images/100205/22579_512.jpg

Always in his right hand too. No matter if he is running left or right.

edo783
08-27-2006, 04:39 PM
If you guys have noticed, you can bet the ranch that the NFL defensive coordinators have and are licking their collective lips.

CloakNNNdagger
08-27-2006, 05:00 PM
Always in his right hand too. No matter if he is running left or right.

...................You're right...MOST of the time. I had to sift through about 15 highlight pics before I came across this one. As you see Bush is ambidextrous in every sense of the word...........that means that he can mishandle the ball equally in either hand.:shots:

http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20040919/usc_bush_10041.jpg

RiotCommander
08-27-2006, 05:37 PM
Thats an easy fix actually. Tiki barber used to have fumble problems until he started holding the ball against his chest. Personally I have no ill will towards Bush, but I hope he sucks until his contract with ESPN runs out. Ok I know that sounds like I'm holding something against him. I'm just tired of ESPN making him sound great even when he obviously had a bad night.

:play:

GuerillaBlack
08-27-2006, 05:53 PM
And they sound hurt when they have to report some bad news, like the fumble. The announcer on the highlight reel sounded like he had just learned he had cancer.