PDA

View Full Version : Eric Winston to the left Side

Crazyhorse
08-24-2006, 10:09 AM
I find it hard to believe that the coaches are just now thinking about looking at Eric Winston at left tackle. This is a kid who has played the position for three years and was voted by the defensive co-ordinators in the ACC the best left tackle in the League.(ahead of Debrickshaw Ferguson),
I think Charles Spencer has great up side and will be an exccellent player but to my knowledge he has never played the left side before. So putting Winston there should be a no brainer!!!!!!!:confused:

HOU-TEX
08-24-2006, 10:15 AM
I find it hard to believe that the coaches are just now thinking about looking at Eric Winston at left tackle. This is a kid who has played the position for three years and was voted by the defensive co-ordinators in the ACC the best left tackle in the League.(ahead of Debrickshaw Ferguson),
I think Charles Spencer has great up side and will be an exccellent player but to my knowledge he has never played the left side before. So putting Winston there should be a no brainer!!!!!!!:confused:

Ummm.....that was college:brickwall

TEXANRED
08-24-2006, 10:19 AM
Ummm.....that was college:brickwall
Every one is from college at some point.

Unless your Invincible.

I think the point was he played left tackle, is a left tackle. Spencer was a guard wasn't he?

Of course Pitts was a tackle and is now guard so who knows.

Crazyhorse
08-24-2006, 10:20 AM
Isn't that where all our players get their initial experience?????Or start as the case may be.....

Texans Horror
08-24-2006, 10:21 AM

I suspect Winston is being considered LT mainly for the last preseason game, when Spencer and Wand will be rested to prevent injury.

Texans Horror
08-24-2006, 10:24 AM
Isn't that where all our players get their initial experience?????Or start as the case may be.....
Not necessarily. Many players have played one position and one position only. Also, size and readiness to play might be part of why WInston is the RT. Spencer is a much bigger guy, and is closer to play. Winston is going through the more traditional route; he may not see action (unless injuries play a major factor) for another year or two.

Runner
08-24-2006, 10:27 AM
Right now Spencer is a better NFL tackle than Winston. Spencer played LT and LG in college.

In college there are many times that a lineman plays LT simply because he is the best lineman on the team. When some of these players hit the pros, they may be more suited to another line position because of their abilities and the level of competition from opponents and from their teammates for the LT position.

The coaches think they are set with Wand and Spencer at LT and Winston is best suited for RT in our system at this time.

----------------------------------------------

Here is some food for thought. During the season they will probably suit up one back-up tackle on game day. Who will that be?

If Wand starts they have three options:

1) Suit up Spencer as the 3rd best tackle. If Wand goes down, Spencer goes in. If Weigert goes down, put Spencer at RT. I doubt Spencer gets any RT time, so this scenario isn't likely.
2) Suit up Spencer. If Weigert goes down, move Wand to RT and Spencer to LT. This might be the coaches first choice scenario.
3) Dress Winston or Salaam as the swing tackle that backs up both positions. Spencer doesn't suit up on game day. Also a good option.

If Spencer starts, they will dress either Wand, Winston, or Salaam as the swing tackle. Probably Wand.

It is the nature of roster limits on game day - even if Spencer is really pushing for a starting job, he may not even suit up for games.

infantrycak
08-24-2006, 10:31 AM
I think Charles Spencer has great up side and will be an exccellent player but to my knowledge he has never played the left side before.

Spencer played his junior year at guard (his first OL experience--he had been a DT for two years). He was then moved to LT for his senior year.

HOU-TEX
08-24-2006, 10:31 AM
Every one is from college at some point.

Unless your Invincible.

I think the point was he played left tackle, is a left tackle. Spencer was a guard wasn't he?

Of course Pitts was a tackle and is now guard so who knows.

I understand that. I'm going under the assumption that Kubiak believes he needs more coaching. Is he even 2nd string RT yet? Hey, I'm game for giving him a shot during the pre-seasons fourth game. The whole point about what he did in college can be argued to wits end. I'm saying not everyone makes the transition to the NFL easily. From what I've gathered from past articles, he's needing more time than others. Sorry if I pi---- anyone off.:twocents:

Texans Horror
08-24-2006, 10:57 AM
Here is some food for thought. During the season they will probably suit up one back-up tackle on game day. Who will that be?

It is the nature of roster limits on game day - even if Spencer is really pushing for a starting job, he may not even suit up for games.

More interesting to me is the idea that we will probably not dress a third-round draft pick, even though Daniels and Lundy are there. Or will Daniels not be dressed, either?

TEXANRED
08-24-2006, 11:07 AM
I understand that. I'm going under the assumption that Kubiak believes he needs more coaching. Is he even 2nd string RT yet? Hey, I'm game for giving him a shot during the pre-seasons fourth game. The whole point about what he did in college can be argued to wits end. I'm saying not everyone makes the transition to the NFL easily. From what I've gathered from past articles, he's needing more time than others. Sorry if I pi---- anyone off.:twocents:

You can't Pee Pee me off. Especially something that trivial. I have been through Carr threads and Vince Young threads and Bush threads and MW threads and back to Carr threads.

I'm a salty vet when it come to stuff like this.

Sorry if you got that impression.:shades:

Runner
08-24-2006, 11:09 AM
More interesting to me is the idea that we will probably not dress a third-round draft pick, even though Daniels and Lundy are there. Or will Daniels not be dressed, either?

I'm not sure how many TEs they will dress. Last year they did three, sometimes two IIRC.

I like having this problem with depth though, rather than not have any.

HOU-TEX
08-24-2006, 11:10 AM
You can't Pee Pee me off. Especially something that trivial. I have been through Carr threads and Vince Young threads and Bush threads and MW threads and back to Carr threads.

I'm a salty vet when it come to stuff like this.

Sorry if you got that impression.:shades:

Cool deal. I still wish him well as I will every Texan on the roster.:bananasplit:

threetoedpete
08-24-2006, 11:41 AM
I suspect Winston is being considered LT mainly for the last preseason game, when Spencer and Wand will be rested to prevent injury.

Agreed. First the scouts did a bang up job this year. The second tier gaurds have played well also. A glaring weakness could become a strength in one off season. Mind boggeling.

I'm also thinking this is the "do we cut Salaam start ?" . If he handles left tackle, then that makes Salaam expendable. Winston, though I wasn't there every day, didn't look like he was up with the rest of the OTs when I saw him. There is a reason Duck with mango salza hasn't been seen in prime time. ...yet. We'll see Satuarday night. Been sayin' since Febuary that knee isn't quite right yet. It's getting there though

El Tejano
08-24-2006, 02:58 PM
I think we put Winston at RT because of our lack of depth at RT after Weigert. Between the two (Winston and Spencer), Winston probably showed the best stuff at RT. Why try to make Spencer a RT when he shows he can hand LT and you can get him the valuable time he needs there, and then you got Winston who can play RT and give him the time he needs there also.

These guys are going to be worked up and down that line before they settle them in at one spot.

Meloy
08-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Offensive linemen at each position with potential to start. Most can play more than one position and even back ups look good. Whooee. I hink I love this last draft. Come on David ANderson, I'm rooting for you!!

noxiousdog
08-24-2006, 04:21 PM
Matt Leinart is a lefty, so wasn't the USC line reversed? (ie, weaker guy on the left?)

Runner
08-24-2006, 04:26 PM
Matt Leinart is a lefty, so wasn't the USC line reversed? (ie, weaker guy on the left?)

Are you thinking about Winston Justice? Eric Winston went to Miami.

WILLIEG
08-24-2006, 05:57 PM
We still need to pick up another LT in the draft, because Spencer will be better suited as a guard. That's just my opinion based on how much better he is at run blocking than pass protection. Plus with his quick punch it would be beneficial for him to play guard, because it would allow the T to get his head across the defenders body in the zone blocking scheme.

Runner
08-24-2006, 05:59 PM
We still need to pick up another LT in the draft, because Spencer will be better suited as a guard.

Even if Spencer converts to guard (a big if), where is our first string LT going?

WILLIEG
08-24-2006, 06:19 PM
Even if Spencer converts to guard (a big if), where is our first string LT going?
I assume you are refering to Wand. I believe that if we finally get a dominant LT in the draft, then Wand would be moved to 2nd string. That would give us the depth at the postion whenever Weigert is out of here next year.

Runner
08-24-2006, 06:35 PM
I assume you are refering to Wand. I believe that if we finally get a dominant LT in the draft, then Wand would be moved to 2nd string. That would give us the depth at the postion whenever Weigert is out of here next year.

Another big if.

I get your drift - there is a common assumption around here that Wand won't ever be any good.

However, I think if people honestly evaluate his play this year they would see he has already improved by leaps and bounds with the new coaching. I expect that to continue. He gets the same chance as the other players neglected by the previous staff.

Ibar_Harry
08-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Another big if.

I get your drift - there is a common assumption around here that Wand won't ever be any good.

However, I think if people honestly evaluate his play this year they would see he has already improved by leaps and bounds with the new coaching. I expect that to continue. He gets the same chance as the other players neglected by the previous staff.

Yes, and when Spencer was missing his assingments and a nervous wreck to begin the game, they took Spencer out and replaced him with Wand. We have two people who are going to get a lot of time and hopefully they make each other better. Injuries are also a possibility and its nice to have a capable backup whoever it is......

WILLIEG
08-24-2006, 08:58 PM
Yes, and when Spencer was missing his assingments and a nervous wreck to begin the game, they took Spencer out and replaced him with Wand. We have two people who are going to get a lot of time and hopefully they make each other better. Injuries are also a possibility and its nice to have a capable backup whoever it is......
I agree that both are going to make ecch other better. That's without a doubt! But the problem I see in both of them is that they each have to work really hard at skills a true dominant LT should have already closely developed such as footwork, keeping the defender away from their body with a good initial punch and upper body strength, and playing with a mean streak. Hopefully Wand can keep the defenders away from his body, because he isn't that strong in the upper body which often allows defenders to push him back into a collapsing pocket which is never good for a QB. And lets hope as well that Spencer can work on his footwork and stop relying only on his upper body to keep defenders from beating him to the edge or cutting inside of him, because he over extends himself. If both of them can greatly improve in these areas, I see no reason at all of going after a LT in hte draft unless it's much later in the rounds. The delima that the organization faces is that for one of these players to improve they are going to have to play these guys in games this year and propely gauge how much playing time to give the other without holding back the progress of the other. It would be ashamed if that happend, but a reality that we might have to face. And if things happen like this, I believe that's going to lead to us finally getting a true doominant LT.

bigbrewster2000
08-24-2006, 09:14 PM
I agree that both are going to make ecch other better. That's without a doubt! But the problem I see in both of them is that they each have to work really hard at skills a true dominant LT should have already closely developed such as footwork, keeping the defender away from their body with a good initial punch and upper body strength, and playing with a mean streak. Hopefully Wand can keep the defenders away from his body, because he isn't that strong in the upper body which often allows defenders to push him back into a collapsing pocket which is never good for a QB. And lets hope as well that Spencer can work on his footwork and stop relying only on his upper body to keep defenders from beating him to the edge or cutting inside of him, because he over extends himself. If both of them can greatly improve in these areas, I see no reason at all of going after a LT in hte draft unless it's much later in the rounds. The delima that the organization faces is that for one of these players to improve they are going to have to play these guys in games this year and propely gauge how much playing time to give the other without holding back the progress of the other. It would be ashamed if that happend, but a reality that we might have to face. And if things happen like this, I believe that's going to lead to us finally getting a true doominant LT. Why couldn't one of them turn into a dominant LT? Just because Spencer is making a few mistakes doesn't mean he can't develope and IMO he likely will. Look at how well he plays LT now with only 2 years of O-line experience. Give both the kids a shot before you assume that they can't develope any further than the skill level that they are currently playing at.

WILLIEG
08-24-2006, 09:23 PM
Why couldn't one of them turn into a dominant LT? Just because Spencer is making a few mistakes doesn't mean he can't develope and IMO he likely will. Look at how well he plays LT now with only 2 years of O-line experience. Give both the kids a shot before you assume that they can't develope any further than the skill level that they are currently playing at.
I never said that they couldn't become dominant LT's. You must have failed to se the key word "Hope" which means that I'm not setting them up or wish that they fail at the postion, but rather see areas of needed improvement for this team to progress. Example; not allowing DC to get sacked as much from their incapibility or lack of experience or whatever you what to call it in their pass protection.

Divebomb
08-24-2006, 09:39 PM
Here is a funny thought, what if our multi-position offensive lineman is our 6'5 340 lbs Rookie. Does that not make you say WTF???? Charles Spencer at 6'5 340lbs is our most versitile lineman. 340LBS!!!!! If this happens I would have to say that Spencer is without a doubt re-defining the term Dancing Bear!

kingh99
08-24-2006, 10:32 PM
I watched Seth Wand last game and can see why people bag on him. He's the recliner of left tackles. I saw him at least twice get knocked backwards on his back and into Carr's legs. Why does that guy have a job at this point? To remind Carr of his previous sack nightmares.

Spencer is a man at LT and will hopefully be a fixture (LT are always fixtures heh) there for 10 years. Everytime I've seen Spencer he's pushing his man around or plowing him under. Strong dude.

Runner
08-24-2006, 11:08 PM
I watched Seth Wand last game and can see why people bag on him. He's the recliner of left tackles. I saw him at least twice get knocked backwards on his back and into Carr's legs.

Really. I didn't see them when I stepped through my recording of the game. Can someone else who has a recording and seen these plays tell me the quarter and time?

If no one can spot these plays I think we are seeing another obvious example of hyperbole.

By the way, while you are searching in vain, check out the two plays starting at 5:36 of the 1st quarter. That way you won't have completely wasted your time looking for Wand plays.