PDA

View Full Version : Did you know we almost went after Lelie?

Texans34Life
08-24-2006, 01:14 AM
Broncos | No one bid for Lelie until trade went down
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 18:53:05 -0700

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports no teams made an offer to the Denver Broncos for WR Ashley Lelie until they finally were able to unload him in a three-way trade Tuesday evening, Aug. 22. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers debated giving up a fourth-round draft choice to Denver, but never offered it. The Houston Texans, with former Denver offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak in charge, considered dealing a fourth-round draft choice to Denver, but also never offered it.

texan279
08-24-2006, 01:17 AM
Broncos | No one bid for Lelie until trade went down
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 18:53:05 -0700

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports no teams made an offer to the Denver Broncos for WR Ashley Lelie until they finally were able to unload him in a three-way trade Tuesday evening, Aug. 22. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers debated giving up a fourth-round draft choice to Denver, but never offered it. The Houston Texans, with former Denver offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak in charge, considered dealing a fourth-round draft choice to Denver, but also never offered it.

Thank God we didn't.

Roughnecks
08-24-2006, 01:22 AM
Thank God we didn't.

I could not agree more I'm happy with WR we have besides he thiks he is a #1 wideout I don't think so other wise Coach K would have used him more in Denver.

texan279
08-24-2006, 01:33 AM
I could not agree more I'm happy with WR we have besides he thiks he is a #1 wideout I don't think so other wise Coach K would have used him more in Denver.

Not only that but he seems to have attitude issues. If he had TO type talent I would maybe consider it, I still don't know though. Not only that but I was listening to Woody Paige talk about him this morning, and if I remember correctly Woody used to be a local sports reporter/writer in Denver, and he said Lelie's hands reminds him of a T Rex with the short arms and tiny hands.

beerlover
08-24-2006, 02:41 AM
I can't believe this is true :brickwall Ashley Lelie is easily worth a 4th rd. pick he's only been in the league 4 years so his best years are still ahead. This kid really rose up the draft board in 2002 (19th) good height 6-3 rather slight build (200 lbs.) excellent leaping ability & hands, would give the Texans one of the better corps of WR'ers in the NFL.

Remember the Texans gave up a 2nd & 3rd for Phillip Buchanon selected 17th overall that same year :shoot:

TheRealJoker
08-24-2006, 03:05 AM
I think if we're gonna look for a troubled receiver with potential we're best served looking at Charles Rogers who'll be cheaper and has more potential than Lelie.

wicked_wayz
08-24-2006, 03:15 AM
I can't believe this is true :brickwall Ashley Lelie is easily worth a 4th rd. pick he's only been in the league 4 years so his best years are still ahead. This kid really rose up the draft board in 2002 (19th) good height 6-3 rather slight build (200 lbs.) excellent leaping ability & hands, would give the Texans one of the better corps of WR'ers in the NFL.

Remember the Texans gave up a 2nd & 3rd for Phillip Buchanon selected 17th overall that same year :shoot:

i wudn't say 200lbs is a slight build i prefer that as puni.....and as for buchanon, that was during the capers and casserly regime...not kubiak

texan279
08-24-2006, 03:54 AM
I think if we're gonna look for a troubled receiver with potential we're best served looking at Charles Rogers who'll be cheaper and has more potential than Lelie.

Yep, and if Rogers did not work out it would cost us nothing.

real
08-24-2006, 08:12 AM

Maybe that's why we didn't go after Lelie

GP
08-24-2006, 08:36 AM
Yep, and if Rogers did not work out it would cost us nothing.

That would just be odd, if you ask me: Bringing in the guy who was right there at the top of the draft with AJ...it would be a little creepy.

I don't think he would come to Houston because he'd be seeing a successful WR that was right there next to him on draft day. It'd be a daily reminder of his over-hyped days leading up to the draft.

I say "no" to Charles Rogers. There are 30 other teams he can and be hurt on.

Marcus
08-24-2006, 08:58 AM

Why is it that some of you always harp on what they did in college, yet ignore what they have done in the pros? I don't quite get that?:um:
Both Kubiak and Rick Smith came from Denver. They know all about Ashley Lelie, and they both probably have a real good idea why Denver got rid of him.

beerlover
08-24-2006, 10:07 AM
Why is it that some of you always harp on what they did in college, yet ignore what they have done in the pros? I don't quite get that?:um:
Both Kubiak and Rick Smith came from Denver. They know all about Ashley Lelie, and they both probably have a real good idea why Denver got rid of him.

here is Ashley's NFL career stats (Career 64 games 168 recptions 3007 yds. per catch w/12 TD's) vs. Rogers (Career 15 games 36 receptions 440 yds. w/4 TD's).

Not a huge body of work which is why you still have to consider their College production :ok:

Regarding Kubiak/Smith it could be more of a reflection of how well not just Andre & Moulds have looked but Walters/Lewis/Armstrong & Anderson have looked. where would Lelie or Rogers fit in? The Texans already have an excellent #1 & #2 duo with Walters a strong #3. which would explain more than anything why they passed, not a reflection of Lelie's ability (solid #2) cause he is not going to displace Moulds, at least yet.

GP
08-24-2006, 10:08 AM

I cannot figure out why the Raiders and Denver didn't just swap Lelie and Porter. I mean, wouldn't it have been a pretty fair trade considering their current production/talent? Would have been a fresh start for both of them.

TheRealJoker
08-24-2006, 11:44 AM
That would just be odd, if you ask me: Bringing in the guy who was right there at the top of the draft with AJ...it would be a little creepy.

I don't think he would come to Houston because he'd be seeing a successful WR that was right there next to him on draft day. It'd be a daily reminder of his over-hyped days leading up to the draft.

I say "no" to Charles Rogers. There are 30 other teams he can and be hurt on.

Or it could be the perfect situation for him learning from Moulds and watching the guy drafted behind him start ahead of him. May be the kick in the rear he needs!!!

Texans_Chick
08-24-2006, 11:48 AM
If he didn't want to be a 3rd WR in Denver, why would he embrace coming to the Texans and be a 3rd WR here?

I prefer a nongruntled team.

Hervoyel
08-24-2006, 01:18 PM
If he didn't want to be a 3rd WR in Denver, why would he embrace coming to the Texans and be a 3rd WR here?

I prefer a nongruntled team.

"Ding, ding, ding..... We have a winner!"

Why in the world would you give up a 4th round pick for a guy who's upset because he's not better than a #3 and then turn around and make him a #3?

You wouldn't. That's like paying to take someone elses problem from them. We've done enough of that in our first four years thank you.

edo783
08-24-2006, 05:33 PM
The way that is worded it makes it sound like WE offered a 4th for him. Actually, the Broncos came to us and said "For a 4th?" and we considred it and said no. It's not like we ever actually went after him or really wanted him.

Marcus
08-24-2006, 05:57 PM
Not a huge body of work which is why you still have to consider their College production :ok:

No, you don't consider their College production, if they have already been in the pros. If someone has good stats in college, but are not working out at the higher level, you need to put more emphasis on what happened at the higher level.

Look at Rashaun Woods. He lit up the skies in college, but busted out with the 49ers, and he didn't even have an attitude problem. Same with Eric Shelton . . he can't make it past the 4th team in practice with Carolina. If he gets cut, should the Texans automatically pick him up based on what he did in college?

GoTexans
08-24-2006, 11:00 PM
I really don't think WR is the Texans most pressing need.

I'd be fine with giving up a fourth round draft pick for a shutdown CB or SS.

Johnson and Moulds. Walter is a good #3 and they have some young guys who deserve some playing time. I think TE is going to play a much BIGGER role in the passing game under Kubiak. I love Daniels, make that guy a jersey.

beerlover
08-25-2006, 03:31 AM
If he gets cut, should the Texans automatically pick him up based on what he did in college?

maybe you have not heard the news, Ashley Lelie was traded to the Atlanta :lightbulb:

now here is a very interesting article detailing the parameters of the deal http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AgE06w74..EJpiUd4.Pqgv9DubYF?slug=ap-broncos-lelie&prov=ap&type=lgns

"It wasn't really the pick as much as I just wanted to make sure that they knew whatever the prorated signing bonus was and whatever the fines were that that was going to be a hefty amount. That's a lot of money to pay back," Shanahan said. "And when that was agreed to, then we talked about compensation relative to what we should get for his services and we were able to do that."

Shanahan added: "We would not have released him unless he agreed to it and signed a contract to do it."

Lelie, who led the league in yards per catch the last two seasons, skipped the Broncos' offseason workout program, forgoing a $100,000 bonus to work out on his own in Arizona. He said he wanted out of Denver because the Broncos were misusing him and weren't giving him the chance to be the featured pass-catcher with Rod Smith and Javon Walker on the roster.

sure seems like Lelie is the loser on this deal, however Atlanta is not :chicken: even though I really like Duckett, Lelie is ready to breakout and become a #1 WR (for the Falcons thats what they hope). conditional picks? can't really lose there. As for Lelie he is litereally putting his money where his mouth is which I respect.

the reason why the Texans did not do the deal is because the WR position is now a source of strength with the addition of Moulds & Walters / subtraction of Bradford & Gaffney (sorry could not help myself- time for another beer) & as stated earlier he wants to be the guy, which he will now get. You (Marcus) or me would be upset if management brought in someone to replace us? to fill our position because they felt it was in the best interest of the franchise. Even though Ashley lost money up front I feel he will recoup it on down the road and earn that #1 WR money that Rod has so successfully held in Denver & now with Javon Walker from Galveston, TX. texanpride

to the modern day athlete its all about respect, despite those who think its all about the :money: I'm going to be pulling for him, the Broncos are going to get whats coming to them & a great story is about to be retold.