PDA

View Full Version : Texans add Courtney Watson

mj.
08-23-2006, 06:29 PM
There was no story on it, but the Texans roster has him on there. It looks like we also cut Trent Bray.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster.php?section=TH%20Players

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster_detail.php?PRKey=249&section=TH%20Players

SESupergenius
08-23-2006, 06:35 PM
wow, I loved this guy when he came out and Capers and Co. actually did scout him, however I think he had a pretty banged up knee.

texflex513
08-23-2006, 06:39 PM
Here is a little info on him...

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/493108

Wolf
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/courtney_watson

mj.
Quotes from the AP article on his release:
Linebacker Courtney Watson, acquired in a trade from New Orleans, was released by Buffalo.

Watson’s release was a mild surprise after the Bills acquired him in an attempt to bolster their depth. A former second-round draft pick, he spent most of training camp with the third-stringers and had limited playing time in Buffalo’s two preseason games, in which he was credited with just one tackle.

Drafted by the Saints from Notre Dame, Watson had 108 tackles and three sacks in 17 games, including 14 starts, in two seasons with New Orleans.

and an interesting story about him from the Buffalo paper:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060818/SPORTS03/608180376/1007/SPORTS

AFD1717
From what I can find, he is a former second round pick out of Notre Dame originally drafted by the Saints and just released by Buffalo. 25 years old, 6'1 and 246 lbs. He's been a dissapointment as a pro but does have a little experience at least. He's a very heady player with limited mobility, but still has the range to play ILB. He's coming off a knee surgery and a DUI arrest.

If he was a stud, he wouldn't have been released but not a terrible pick up considering the date.

SESupergenius
08-23-2006, 06:41 PM
Here is a little info on from a fan's perspective on his release from Buffalo:

Watson's lack of conditioning and trouble with learning
the Bills' defensive system led to his release

And guess what the Bills defense runs....a cover 2 :(

Farough
08-23-2006, 09:06 PM
Wow, I was hoping they would take a look at him. If he comes back heathly he is definately starter quality. I would have never noticed that on the roster.

wrestler4life
08-23-2006, 10:44 PM
Sounds like another quality character guy like most of the recent additions, but the DUI arerest has me thinking if he has gone into the tank mentally

TheRealJoker
08-23-2006, 10:59 PM
Im hoping getting released by Buffalo was the wakeup call that he needed and it'll motivate him to play like a former 2nd round draft pick should for us!!!

Divebomb
08-23-2006, 11:44 PM
Well I hope the guy takes advantage of this second chance. We need some more quality LB's

TexansJunkE
08-25-2006, 11:18 AM
Courtney Watson was claimed off waivers rom the Bills. :cool:

real
08-25-2006, 11:20 AM
Courtney Watson was claimed off waivers rom the Bills. :cool:

Are you serious ? From Notre Dame ? Didn't he start for the saints last yr. ?

TexansJunkE
08-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Are you serious ? From Notre Dame ? Didn't he start for the saints last yr. ?
I see we have a funny guy on our hands here.:cowboy1:

real
08-25-2006, 11:28 AM
I see we have a funny guy on our hands here.:cowboy1:

I was serious...and I'm not a Mod...I didn't merge your thread...

buddyboy
08-25-2006, 02:07 PM
anyone got information on this guy?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2561150

HOU-TEX
08-25-2006, 02:14 PM
anyone got information on this guy?

There's a thread 10 down from this one

TexansJunkE
08-25-2006, 02:39 PM
I was serious...and I'm not a Mod...I didn't merge your thread...
My fault. I thought you were screwing with me.:ok:

Texizgreat
08-25-2006, 10:05 PM
Texans | Team claims Watson off waivers
Fri, 25 Aug 2006 16:09:10 -0700

Dale Robertson, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans claimed LB Courtney Watson (Bills) off waivers.

and to make room for him

Texans | Bray waived
Fri, 25 Aug 2006 16:19:08 -0700

Dale Robertson, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans waived LB Trent Bray.

sorry if this has already been posted

Second Honeymoon
08-26-2006, 03:34 AM
It's nice being the worst team in league. You get first dibs on any waiver scraps....Watson has some potential and I think he is going to get every opportunity to find a spot here with the Texans.

dougfromthewoodlands

Roughnecks
08-26-2006, 10:20 AM
I don't know any thing about this guy but the upside is he is young only 3 years in the league so he can still be coached and the way our coaches have going maybe he can turn it around with their help.

Number19
08-26-2006, 11:19 AM
from Draft Insiders - 2004 (emphasis mine)

6'-1", 240 lbs, Notre Dame (taken in the 2nd round, #60, by New Orleans) Aggressive athletic inside linebacker completed a fine career for the Irish, starting the past three seasons. Courtney moved to inside linebacker as a senior after two prior seasons starting on the outside, totaling 31 starts in 42 games. He has been a very productive high moter 'backer with good intelligence and instincts. As a senior, he recorded 107 tackles, 14 TFL and 3.5 sacks. As a junior, he made 90 tackles, 10 TFL and 3 sacks, earning All-American honers for the first time. He lacks great size for the inside linebacker spot, but he is one of the best athletes at the position in recent years. He may be best suited for the outside and the strongside in particular. He displays good technique and instincts that allow him to get the most out of his athleticism. He has good movement skills and is solid in pass coverage. He reads the QB's eyes, gets in the passing lanes and does a great job of getting into position to make a play on the ball. He shows some stiffness in deep drops, but can play over the TE or match up with backs in man coverage. In run defense, he can be slow at times when attacking the line of scrimmage, though is quick and aggressive when moving laterally along the line. He can fight through trash and stay on his feet. He hits with some force on his tackles, displaying fine technique and wrap up ability. He was slightly inconsistant on a weekly basis, but the Irish defense played with some key injuries during the past two seasons. He is an athete with fine functional strength and the speed to make tackles consistantly at the sidelines. He is a smart kid, a real warrior, and an excellant example on and off the field. He has good toughness, work ethic and is really competitive. He is an explosive hitter, shows fine instincts, locates the ball quick and usually keeps leverage. He reads and reacts quickly and is almost always in position to make the play. He can take false steps, which puts him in poor position to recover on plays. He stays clean mostly and runners cannot cut back on him or around him. At the Senior Bowl, he showed good tackling skills with the speed to make plays all over the field. He has good instincts and reactions and can play in reverse with the ability to match up in man coverage. In pass coverage, he has good technique in his drops and the change of direction skills necessary to play man situations. At the combine, he had a great workout and ran a 4.54, did 22 reps, and had a 36.5" VJ and a 9'6" BJ. He is a versatile defender with fine triangle numbers to play both inside or outside in the NFL. Top 100 prospect and may last to the early 2nd day. Athlete with starting talent and upside.

threetoedpete
08-26-2006, 12:27 PM
It's nice being the worst team in league. You get first dibs on any waiver scraps....Watson has some potential and I think he is going to get every opportunity to find a spot here with the Texans.
dougfromthewoodlands

Look two personel departments have sniffed this guy and thrown him back. If it's come to Jesus time for Mr. Watson, so be it. Doesn't cost but a hunderd bucks to give him a look over. Might as well dip the bread into the gravy while we got the boat in front of us. We earned it for sure last year. Reading between the lines....my hunch, we won't see Mr. Wong untill Mid October....if then. They didn't bring him in to back up Demeeco.

LBblitz
08-27-2006, 02:54 AM
I just saw on the ESPN bottom line we just signed this guy...sounds like he has potential...maybe.

It says that he failed to get the backup job at buffalo, which doesnt make me think too highly of him. But hey, you never know.

Hutch13
08-27-2006, 02:56 AM
http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=26911

hot pickle
08-27-2006, 03:48 AM
looks like he can be a solid backup

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
08-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Coaches have said thay would be looking for LB. Guess thay see something in Watson. Still have to make cuts so I say give him a look see if he fits.

yourfavoritetexan42
08-27-2006, 11:02 AM
watson was awesome, and a playmaker at notre dame, i followed him closely in college. He was the leader of that 02 notre dame D that brought notre dame to be ranked #3 (until they were upset by pitt...but they were right behind miami and ou that year for hte longest time). Finished with one of the top D's that year. He was a starter along with glenn earl, justin tuck (giants DE), shane walton (good college free safety...last i heard was a backup fs on rams).

As for nfl career... he had 60 someodd tackles his rookie season with the saints. he started a majority of the games that season, and he had a handful of sacks. last year he only started half hte season but still put up 40 tackles.

i think if given an oppurtunity, he could really surprise people. if not he does add great depth.