PDA

View Full Version : Charles Rogers

texan279
08-23-2006, 02:29 AM
from www.kffl.com

Lions | C. Rogers could go on the waiver wire
Tue, 22 Aug 2006 22:01:36 -0700

Tom Kowalski, of MLive.com, reports Detroit Lions WR Charles Rogers could go on the waiver wire if the team decides to cut ties with him. He would be subject to the waiver wire because he only has three years of league experience. By going on the waiver wire, the Lions would have no control over who he signs with and the team that claims him would get Rogers for cheap. Rogers failed to reach many of his contract incentives and the team that claims him and the remaining four years of his contract would only be on the hook for his one-year salary of $757,917. The team that claims him could release him if things do not work out and there would be no additional hit on their salary cap.

Mysteryhunt
08-23-2006, 03:04 AM
just out of curiosity where are the texans on the waiver clams list? is it done by record the previous season (pleasepleaseplease!)

texan279
08-23-2006, 03:21 AM
just out of curiosity where are the texans on the waiver clams list? is it done by record the previous season (pleasepleaseplease!)

I believe so, I think we have first rights to waivers due to having the worst record last season. I may be wrong but I think I read it here somewhere, I am sure someone else can chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

CloakNNNdagger
08-23-2006, 07:17 AM
The Texans have 1st dibs on the waiver wire. However, in the case of Rogers, there are a lot of questions. Remember the big controversy of AJ vs Rogers in the draft. Well since then, Rogers has demonstated less than stellar work ethic. He has had 2 freak collar bone fractures in 2 seasons. But probably most important to the Texans evaluation may be the 4 game suspension last year for substance abuse. He's now nursing a "sore knee" which does not sound like a big thing, but has not been characterized. He may come cheap, and may have great potential. But if the Texans determine that he is "trouble in a bag," his fate is to be passed on.

thunderkyss
08-23-2006, 07:44 AM
It's amazing Harrington couldn't go to the SuperBowl with talent like that.

cap1
08-23-2006, 07:52 AM
Remember the EA sports comercial he did with Ray Lewis?

I am just glad the Lions picked him and not AJ at the time.

infantrycak
08-23-2006, 07:52 AM
I believe so, I think we have first rights to waivers due to having the worst record last season. I may be wrong but I think I read it here somewhere, I am sure someone else can chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

The Texans have the 1st pick on the waiver wire thru the 4th week of the regular season. Then the waiver order goes to regular season standings--whoohoo 1st to 32nd week 5. :shades:

It's amazing Harrington couldn't go to the SuperBowl with talent like that.

Must ... resist ... urge ... to poke non-sleeping bear ...

chuckm
08-23-2006, 07:59 AM
Must ... resist ... urge ... to poke non-sleeping bear ...

Please resist .... you aren't the only one that would suffer ....

Hervoyel
08-23-2006, 08:29 AM
I think he's worth a look. Maybe if you take a closer look and don't like what you see then you don't keep him but he's definitely worth a look. I don't think it would take our current brain trust very long to figure out whether he was a candidate to turn it around or not. Just because he's a Detroit castoff doesn't mean he's hopeless. I don't think their previous and current coaching staff/front office was any better at developing talent than our old one was.

Who knows, being waived might be a wake up call for him and he might actually come around with some real coaching. If not then it's no big deal to us.

infantrycak
08-23-2006, 08:33 AM
Who knows, being waived might be a wake up call for him and he might actually come around with some real coaching. If not then it's no big deal to us.

I agree--while not the nicest guy this is a freebee. The Texans don't lose their #1 waiver pick by exercising it. There is no salary cap hit for dumping him if it doesn't work out. Let wunderkind Shanahan work with him in a new environment AND let him try to sit on the same field as AJ and prove he is better--what better way to jack his pride and motivation into high gear.

thunderkyss
08-23-2006, 09:00 AM
I agree--while not the nicest guy this is a freebee. The Texans don't lose their #1 waiver pick by exercising it. There is no salary cap hit for dumping him if it doesn't work out. Let wunderkind Shanahan work with him in a new environment AND let him try to sit on the same field as AJ and prove he is better--what better way to jack his pride and motivation into high gear.

So we get dibs on every one who is waived?? wow...... I didn't realize that....

I totally agree with you and Herv...... why not??

gtexan02
08-23-2006, 09:16 AM
Why not? Because the Texans have made a point of bringing in "class-act" guys and cutting ties with guys who show any sort of "questionable" behavior.

We are relatively deep at WR all of a sudden as well

Sarg01
08-23-2006, 09:28 AM
Only reason not to is not having a roster spot. I have a hard time believing Charles Rogers can't make the #5 WR spot for our team.

real
08-23-2006, 09:36 AM
I think the Texans may consider taking a chance on him...why not ? if they decide that he isn't a good fit they could always cut him and not lose anything...

cap1
08-23-2006, 10:49 AM
if he is waived and we pick him up we have what like a week to see if he can make the team. It is worth a shot.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-23-2006, 10:53 AM
Low risk, high reward. I wouldn't have a problem at all if they brought him in for a look.

Texans Horror
08-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Many Texans players have shown great turn-arounds/improvements this year: TJ and Buchanon, for example. So, as long as Charles Rogers isn't a gun-toting, dope-smoking, TO-acting machine, I don't see why we shouldn't give him a shot. If there's a chance he could disrupt the team, however, then I say pass on him...

feebleminded
08-23-2006, 11:06 AM
Only reason not to is not having a roster spot. I have a hard time believing Charles Rogers can't make the #5 WR spot for our team.

I doubt that they touch this guy. He had both on and off the field problems. The only reason to take a look at him is if you believe that he can be a #1 or #2 type player within the next couple of years. In the interim the guy has to be at least a solid contributor on special teams.

Seems like a lot to try to figure out in a week.

HJam72
08-23-2006, 11:15 AM
I bet we can get TO in about a month, lol. :rolleyes:

RiotCommander
08-23-2006, 11:40 AM
I doubt that they touch this guy. He had both on and off the field problems. The only reason to take a look at him is if you believe that he can be a #1 or #2 type player within the next couple of years. In the interim the guy has to be at least a solid contributor on special teams.

Seems like a lot to try to figure out in a week.

I agree, here. I doubt we touch him because of the off the field problems. Everyone on waviers are there because of something, but if this guy could get it done on the field I doubt they would just let him go. So thats more then one headach your willing to take on. I admit last year when we didn't have Moulds I would have jumped at the chance, but now I just don't think we need that sort of help. :shoot:

gtexan02
08-23-2006, 11:51 AM
I hope he figures himself out somewhere, if not here. He had so much potential. Our WR corp is pretty good though, so I'm not sure where he'd fit in:
WR1: AJ
WR2: Moulds
WR3: Walters
WR4:
WR5: Mathis

I guess he could fit in at 4?

Does he return kicks???

powerfuldragon
08-23-2006, 12:05 PM
We need a defensive back, not a pothead.

O.G.
08-23-2006, 12:41 PM

No question, I would pick him up and if he doesn't work out, you could release him. Imagine if he lives up to his potential, you could eventually have the best tandem in the NFL.

TheRealJoker
08-23-2006, 01:06 PM
I'd take a chance on him. His potential rivals that of AJ himself (Which is why the Lions picked him over AJ) and a case could be made that he just needs a solid mentor to help him out.

I hear we have a solid mentor on this team in EMO!!! For the price tag and the risk involved i'd give him a shot to take to our coaching and let him learn a thing or two about work ethic from AJ and EMO.

Imagine how nasty our passing game would be with AJ,EMO, and a motivated Charles Rogers...

the potential alone makes me :drool:

El Tejano
08-23-2006, 02:58 PM
I agree, here. I doubt we touch him because of the off the field problems. Everyone on waviers are there because of something, but if this guy could get it done on the field I doubt they would just let him go. So thats more then one headach your willing to take on. I admit last year when we didn't have Moulds I would have jumped at the chance, but now I just don't think we need that sort of help. :shoot:
I agree with this. I wouldn't be upset if we did give him a looksie.

However, if we do that we better make darn sure this kid is ready to play because I think when you look at Rogers the first thing you have to ask is can this guy withstand a full season.

If he is lost for the season due to that collar bone or knee then we were probably better off keeping one of our own.

The other thing is you have to look on the wire for that position in its entirety so that we are making the best possible decision.

V Man
08-23-2006, 07:12 PM
I'd take a chance on him. His potential rivals that of AJ himself (Which is why the Lions picked him over AJ) and a case could be made that he just needs a solid mentor to help him out.

I hear we have a solid mentor on this team in EMO!!! For the price tag and the risk involved i'd give him a shot to take to our coaching and let him learn a thing or two about work ethic from AJ and EMO.

Imagine how nasty our passing game would be with AJ,EMO, and a motivated Charles Rogers...

the potential alone makes me :drool:

It is always great when someone else sums up your feelings for you (plus saves typing time):bananasplit:

mexican_texan
08-23-2006, 07:31 PM
So...you want a guy that lost his job to Corey Bradford?

TheRealJoker
08-23-2006, 09:56 PM
So...you want a guy that lost his job to Corey Bradford?

No, I wont the guy everyone thought he'd be when he was drafted above AJ!!!

texanfan2100
08-23-2006, 10:17 PM
Why not? Because the Texans have made a point of bringing in "class-act" guys and cutting ties with guys who show any sort of "questionable" behavior.

And look where it's got them. I'm sick of the Texans using this excuse to pass on players. No NFL team has 53 choir boys on their roster, but the Texans seem determined to be the first. I'm not saying to go draft everyone on the cell block like the bengals, but you can't keep passing on players because of potential "character issues." Many of the greatest players in history had far more than "character issues," and all they did was win super bowls.

TheRealJoker
08-23-2006, 10:22 PM
Many of the greatest players in history had far more than "character issues," and all they did was win super bowls.

Dont talk about the early 1990s Cowboys like that!!! :stirpot:

CloakNNNdagger
08-24-2006, 09:25 AM
There seems to be a significant furvor to "try out" Rogers if he becomes available. However, for those not aware, Rogers history of chronic debility has not resolved. He has missed over 2 weeks of practice along with the last preseason game due to a newly injured part of his body.....his knee. Furtherore, he is unlikely to be ready for this weekend's play. Rogers) ([URL="http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_4939715,00.html")[/URL]

JDizzle
08-24-2006, 09:57 AM
Here's the article CnD posted a link to :

By Associated Press
August 23, 2006
ALLEN PARK, Mich. ó Detroit Lions receiver Charles Rogers will miss Fridayís preseason game at Oakland because of a knee injury, which forced him to miss the previous game and two weeks of practice.
He barely played in Detroitís preseason opener, catching one pass, and was low on the depth chart when he was healthy enough to practice.

"Itís week to week right now, not day to day," Detroit coach Rod Marinelli said Wednesday. "Weíll look at where he is again next week."

If Rogers is still on the team.

He is in danger of being released or traded ó if the Lions can find a team that wants him ó just three years after he was drafted with the second pick overall.

Rogers has just 36 career receptions for 440 yards and four touchdowns. Two broken collarbones limited him to six games over his first two seasons and he was suspended for four games last year for violating the NFLís substance abuse policy.

Earlier this week, Rogers insisted he had not accepted that his future with the Lions will be over soon.

"Iím still wearing the Honolulu blue and coming to work every day and doing what Iíve got to do to be a part of this team," he said.

Here's the Link. (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_4939715,00.html)

I won't expect much if we pick him up, but since there's 0 risk I don't see how it can hurt.

Porky
08-24-2006, 10:03 AM
I don't see this happening. In addition to all of the already mentioned issues - inability to beat out Corey Bradford, major injury concerns, character and work ethic issues, substance abuse issues, no way Kubes will have a 4th or 5th WR who can't play ST.

CloakNNNdagger
08-24-2006, 10:15 AM
Here's the article CnD posted a link to :

Here's the Link. (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_4939715,00.html)

I won't expect much if we pick him up, but since there's 0 risk I don't see how it can hurt.

JD, Thanks for pointing out the link problem.:rolleyes:

Ihategeeks
08-24-2006, 10:45 AM
Charles Rogers is 1 drug test away from a Canadian Vacation.
He can't beat the jam
He has that shoulder thing
For a 3rd year player he has little experience, you're getting a semi-rookie.
He's stupid as hell.

Aside from that he's talented.

As for Joey, I'm sure you know all about a Bust QB in Houston, so what needs to be said about it.

texanfan2100
09-02-2006, 11:33 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2570128

Wow. It's a good thing the Lions were picking before the Texans. I am afraid Casserly might have screwed up another draft pick if he was given a choice between Johnson and Rogers.

texanfan2100
09-02-2006, 11:43 AM
Just a question, so you guys don't jump on me...
:hides: :hides: :hides: :hides:
Do you think that Rogers' problems are to do with his abilities/talents, or on the Lions system? ie: Would he be a fit of any kind for us?

No reason for anyone to jump on you for that suggestion. I've been thinking the same thing myself. It would be no risk to bring him in. You pay him the league minimum, and you don't have to give up anything to claim him. Seeing as Walter hasn't shown much so far, and they're unsure with their 4th and 5th receiver, it would make sense to bring Rogers in. I kind of expect them to claim him, unless there's more behind the scenes than we know.

TexansJunkE
09-02-2006, 01:05 PM
How could it hurt, I think this one might get the Texans scratching thier heads.:confused:

RiotCommander
09-02-2006, 01:21 PM
I don't think the guy can hurt our team as he would most likely not be a starter. But I would hope we first look at a CB,LB,S,DT. If none of the ones on the wire can help us then sure give him a shot. Detroit has not exactly had a lot of success molding players either. And we have Emo to keep him in line.

Wolf
09-02-2006, 01:28 PM
http://www.thelionsfanatics.com/tlfforum/index.php?showtopic=22386

this forum, they are scratching their heads of some cuts on the butler cut(not just rogers)

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41678

kinda same theme with Butler cut.

I may have to do some reading on some of these guys

Texans_Chick
09-02-2006, 01:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2570128

Wow. It's a good thing the Lions were picking before the Texans. I am afraid Casserly might have screwed up another draft pick if he was given a choice between Johnson and Rogers.

Back then, Casserly used Rogers as an illustration of a draft guy that the media types were more excited about than NFL types. Someone that is hyped up but whose game may not end up translating easily to the NFL.

Wolf
09-02-2006, 01:39 PM
Back then, Casserly used Rogers as an illustration of a draft guy that the media types were more excited about than NFL types. Someone that is hyped up but whose game may not end up translating easily to the NFL.

OH TC are you :stirpot:?

:heh:

uhcougar08
09-02-2006, 01:56 PM
Just a question, so you guys don't jump on me...
:hides: :hides: :hides: :hides:
Do you think that Rogers' problems are to do with his abilities/talents, or on the Lions system? ie: Would he be a fit of any kind for us?

Since the Lions now have Mike Martz as their OC, I think this guy probably is not that good, because if he was, then Martz sure would have keep him on the roster.

Headlights of a Carr
09-02-2006, 02:41 PM

hmm sounds familiar.:stirpot:

HomeBred_Texan
09-09-2006, 03:11 PM
There has to be something terribly wrong with him if no one has gotten him by now. I know he tried to get on with Tampa Bay and they gave him the thumbs down.

Is his attitude so bad that no one will even put him on there practice squad?

infantrycak
09-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Rogers is not practice squad eligible. He is one positive test away from a year suspension. Still surprised no one will gamble on him. Maybe there have been inquiries to Drew Rosenhaus and their demands for a new contract are absurd.

HomeBred_Texan
09-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Rogers is not practice squad eligible.
What does it take to be "practice squad elgible"?

infantrycak
09-09-2006, 06:11 PM
What does it take to be "practice squad elgible"?

Less than 9 games on an active roster and no more than three seasons on the practice squad. Rogers has played in 15 games.

Ihategeeks
09-09-2006, 06:35 PM
http://www.thelionsfanatics.com/tlfforum/index.php?showtopic=22386

this forum, they are scratching their heads of some cuts on the butler cut(not just rogers)

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41678

kinda same theme with Butler cut.

I may have to do some reading on some of these guys

These people don't know chit about football. And I doubt anyone who questions why Butler is gone even paid attention. The guy was lost on almost every snap of every game. He was lazy, he was slow, he had terrible footwork, he has no power in the rushing game. Jeff Backus was playing with a high ankle sprain and looked twice as agile. All these koolaid drinking slappy lions morons wouldn't know what good blocking or bad blooking looks like since they don't watch the blocking anyway.
All I heard last year was about him being young and needing another year to develop. Horsecrap, the guy was the worst starting RT in football, because he had no business starting. He would make Seth Wand look like a probowler.

cbnjwill
09-09-2006, 07:31 PM
so far we have seen no interest in rogers, david boston a local product from humble was released from tampa bay i think we should give him a look

mexican_texan
09-09-2006, 08:57 PM
so far we have seen no interest in rogers, david boston a local product from humble was released from tampa bay i think we should give him a look
No way, his knees are pretty bad.

Hulk75
09-09-2006, 10:01 PM
Why did he not move to TE like 3 years ago? Boston.

Napa Auto Parts
09-09-2006, 11:07 PM
i dont see how it would hurt to bring in Rogers man that kid was awsome IN Marshall just another Example of how a good college career does not translate to the NFL. unless its the System :stirpot: i just had to take that parting Shot:hides:

mexican_texan
09-09-2006, 11:14 PM
Actually, he went to Michigan State. As Ihategeeks said, he has plenty of problems, but could also start over anew and flourish. I think he could fit in at Green Bay since I doubt he could find a *drug dealer there.

Napa Auto Parts
09-09-2006, 11:22 PM
i have no clue why i was thinking Marshall they myst have similar uniforms:cowboy1: