View Full Version : HPF:Hold your horses

Wolf
08-22-2006, 09:12 PM
http://www.houstonprofootball.com/review/review50.html

August 22, 2006
Hold Your Horses
by Bob Hulsey
HoustonProFootball.com

Since the Texans have jumped off to a 2-0 preseason start, some folks around here are getting a little giddy. It's understandable. The Texans now have their first winning streak of President Bush's second term (yes, it's been that long), so a little crowing is probably in order.

Secondly, this team looks far more prepared, organized, and on a mission than the sad sacks we saw all of 2005. I knew at this time a year ago that the Texans were awful, and I had hopes they were just working out the kinks and would be better during the regular season. It turned out though that they really were that awful. They smelled as bad as Pasadena on a hot, humid and windless day.

This year, the Texans are already the unofficial State Champions of Missouri - having toppled both the men from Kansas City and St. Louis. But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

powerfuldragon
08-22-2006, 09:15 PM
good article.

Brandon420tx
08-22-2006, 09:29 PM
Ewww, the "E" word.

Texans_Chick
08-22-2006, 09:34 PM
Bravo.

Well said.

TexanSam
08-22-2006, 09:40 PM
Very nice article. I agree with just about all of it. The part I believe is most true though is this:

The Chiefs and Rams have two things in common. They are both one-dimensional on offense and uninspiring on defense. I dare say that if Larry Johnson had been able to run wild for four quarters or Marc Bulger had run our corners ragged for 60 minutes that the outcome of both games would have been different. The Chiefs plowed through our run defense when their first unit was in. The Rams appeared to toss the ball around with ease, and Bulger eyed Dexter McCleon the way Michael Jordan used to size up Craig Ehlo for a dribble drive in the final seconds.

Yes, it's nice winning two preseason games, but our first team defense has looked very unimpressive in both games.

wrestler4life
08-22-2006, 09:51 PM
This article paints a good but not flattering picture. It is going to take time for this yeam to have real success. I will be happy even if we finish under .500 as long as we look like a team on the rise and dare I say..."exe"- sorry, almost sounded like Capers.

Porky
08-22-2006, 09:55 PM
Very well done, and I think he is spot on. I am sticking with 6-7 wins. Lots of progress, but there are still too many holes, and we have an entirely new coaching staff. I would see that as real progress. The good news is we have a real plan going forward. I'm totally buying into the Kubiak era, and feel we will be beating on the door of the playoffs in 2007.

Jwwillis
08-22-2006, 10:04 PM
I feel the same way and its exciting. I don't think we can get much better than .500 with our secondary. But man what a refreshing change from last year.

RiotCommander
08-22-2006, 10:08 PM
The only way we're getting better then .500 involves a lot of "if"s.

-If Spencer becomes a great LT
-If Morency / DD can gain 1,300+ yards
-If our secondary isn't really as bad as it seems. (Yes, a big if right there.)
-If we can get David's head on straight.

Need I go on? :)

Anyway great post I enjoyed reading it.

Runner
08-22-2006, 10:10 PM

So if Wand becomes a great LT we still lose? Does the name on the jersey mean that much?

RiotCommander
08-22-2006, 10:11 PM
So if Wand becomes a great LT we still lose? Does the name on the jersey mean that much?

Sorry I just think if Wand was going to be a great LT it would have happend. Maybe I over look that which we already have, but *shrug*.

edo783
08-22-2006, 10:12 PM

-If Morency / DD can gain 1,300+ yards
-If our secondary isn't really as bad as it seems. (Yes, a big if right there.)
-If we can get David's head on straight.

Need I go on? :)

Anyway great post I enjoyed reading it.

Seems about right.

Runner
08-22-2006, 10:23 PM
Sorry I just think if Wand was going to be a great LT it would have happend. Maybe I over look that which we already have, but *shrug*.

Already happened - under Pendry's tutelage? Fat chance. The same could be said about a lot of our players - Carr, Babin, Peek, TJ, Weary, Morency ... Maybe we should write them all off since it hasn't "happened" for them previously.

A lot of our players from past years are getting a second chance and doing much better so far this year. What specifically did Wand do that was bad the last game? Or are we still judging him from Joe Pendry's viewpoint - the same guy that stuck Victor Riley at LT to start the season?

There is no real guarantee Spencer will make it either, although personally I think he's got a great career in front of him.

Divebomb
08-22-2006, 10:31 PM
If Carr can relax and just play, we have the talent to go with 9 wins this year. I see Tenn as a very week team, and Jacksonville looked like poop this past weekend. Philly does not have a running game, and we only play NE once and Indy twice. Last year, with that bland O and weak D we still lost 6 games by 7 or less if I am not mistaken. A few plays here and there and we go 8-8 last year and we have way more talent this year compared to last year and a much better scheme. I believe in the guys and I refuse to give in to that we will be leaps and bounds to win 6 this year crap. That is weak, these guys are a different team and I expect great things. You have to believe in the guys, like Kubiak has said you have to think like a winner to become a winner.

Smash_Mouth_Mario
08-23-2006, 12:39 AM
Great article!

My main concerns:

1) Pass coverage defense (CBs)
2) Passing offense (D. Carr to WR/TE)
3) 3rd down conversion %
4) FG kicker

Txn_in_Oki
08-23-2006, 05:09 AM
Great article but, geez, did you have to be such a buzzkiller?

My concerns echo everyone elses:

1. Pass coverage
2. The O-line
3. Field goals
4. Carr

I really want to have high hopes for this season, and I do, but just need to keep my excitement in check.

Marcus
08-23-2006, 07:14 AM
I think that Ibar (I predict they go 13-3) Harry should read this article.

MightyTExan
08-23-2006, 08:58 AM
Great article.

I will not accept reality until we lose a game ot two.

*keeps drinking kool-aid*

Runner
08-23-2006, 09:05 AM
I think I'll pass on getting down in the dumps before anything happens. I'll be excited now and fall into doom and gloom if and when that becomes necessary. Why ruin a good time while the excitement lasts?

HJam72
08-23-2006, 09:09 AM
Well, I thought we were gonna go 13-3, but now this article has me convinced we're gonna go 3-13. But, if we beat Denver Sunday, we're still gonna win the Super Bowl!!! :bananasplit:

OK, so I'm a little high strung about these things. :shoot:

El Tejano
08-23-2006, 09:11 AM
I'm excited with the idea of knowing anything can happen but the only reason I feel that is because this is the best we've ever looked. I know come regular season things may change but with evident improvement I got reason to believe. Based on what I've seen I can easily see 7-9 to 9-7 with a few lucky breaks.

I am expecting to come down to reality a little this week though.

GP
08-23-2006, 09:44 AM
Funny how we tend to think that a poor preseason showing is "nothing big" and that we can work out the kinks before the season starts (the author said so).

Then, when we have a good preseason, suddenly we need not be excited about the season because it's probably just "nothing big" that we are doing well in the preseason.

Optimism reigns supreme when we look awful, and skepticism abounds when we are doing a decent job.

(sigh)

Big plays cannot be predicted. A fumble here, and interception there. Holding a team on 4th & 1, recovering an onside kick, and a whole laundry list of other things that happen in a game that are not scripted NOR are they achieved necessarily by the players or the coaches alone: It's a combination of many factors all working together, seizing opportunities.

Our team might have been ran on by the Chiefs. And our team might have been passed on by the Rams. But I see our team forcing fumbles, batting down balls, intercepting balls, getting sacks, returning punts for big yards, etc. So I am inclined to think that our mediocre defense can overcome its lack of domination by merely seizing opportunities and (dare I say) "executing" in critical, game-changing moments.

All we need is an offense that can score (which I think we've found) and we need a defense that doesn't give the game away (and I think we're getting closer to that).

HJam72
08-23-2006, 10:57 AM
....and (dare I say) "executing" in critical, game-changing moments.

Ah, man, you had to go a ruin a really good post. :)

Double Barrel
08-23-2006, 11:18 AM
Very well done, and I think he is spot on. I am sticking with 6-7 wins. Lots of progress, but there are still too many holes, and we have an entirely new coaching staff. I would see that as real progress. The good news is we have a real plan going forward. I'm totally buying into the Kubiak era, and feel we will be beating on the door of the playoffs in 2007.

I agree, Porky. Couldn't have said it better myself. :howdy: keepin' it real

I think Kubiak's 2nd year is when we'll really see the pieces come together, because we'll need some more players to fix our glaring deficiencies. Plus, the Carr question should be resolved by next year this time, and he'll have the benefit of a season under Kubiak's coaching and schemes.

HOU-TEX
08-23-2006, 11:27 AM
I agree, Porky. Couldn't have said it better myself. :howdy: keepin' it real

I think Kubiak's 2nd year is when we'll really see the pieces come together, because we'll need some more players to fix our glaring deficiencies. Plus, the Carr question should be resolved by next year this time, and he'll have the benefit of a season under Kubiak's coaching and schemes.

I agree as well. In addition to what has been said, Kubiak himself said there are a lot of questions. There may still be questions going into week one. With that being said, Kubiak understands there's holes to fill as well.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2781&section=N%20Latest%20News

thunderkyss
08-23-2006, 11:43 AM
August 22, 2006
Hold Your Horses
by Bob Hulsey
HoustonProFootball.com

Since the Texans have jumped off to a 2-0 preseason start, some folks around here are getting a little giddy. It's understandable. The Texans now have their first winning streak of President Bush's second term (yes, it's been that long), so a little crowing is probably in order.

Secondly, this team looks far more prepared, organized, and on a mission than the sad sacks we saw all of 2005. I knew at this time a year ago that the Texans were awful, and I had hopes they were just working out the kinks and would be better during the regular season. It turned out though that they really were that awful. They smelled as bad as Pasadena on a hot, humid and windless day.

This year, the Texans are already the unofficial State Champions of Missouri - having toppled both the men from Kansas City and St. Louis. But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

Well....... That's one way to look at it.

You could also say this ain't the same ole Texans.

Three Big reasons why we won those two games:
1)(& Most important) We played to win. We weren't trying to do anything fancy..... we weren't trying to run out the clock.... we weren't trying to execute anything...... we went out to put points on the board, and stop our opponents from doing the samel.

2)We had players buying into a system, and trusting each other to do their job. You didn't have PBuch loosing his man because he's looking in the backfiled. You didn't have Greenwood out of position because he's cheating over to help TJ....... You didn't have Safeties playing uppermiddle Linebacker. You had football players doing what they do best.

3)For whatever reason, the guys believe they can win.

Yeah, our schedule looks pretty tough, but SuperBowl or no, the Indianapolis Colts are one of the best teams in the NFL, and we've played them close going on three years now. IIRC, we lose to them in the 4th quarter. With the depth we've got, and the rotations we'll see, I have no doubt we can take them to the wire in '06, and beat them....... twice. And if we can sweep the Colts(& I believe we can/will), we can beat anybody.

6 wins..... Hah... double it, and throw one more on for good measure........ we're hosting the AFC Championship game boys......... so get ready.

HJam72
08-23-2006, 11:46 AM
........ we're hosting the AFC Championship game boys......... so get ready.

Holy Mario!

santo
08-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Well....... That's one way to look at it.

You could also say this ain't the same ole Texans.

Three Big reasons why we won those two games:
1)(& Most important) We played to win. We weren't trying to do anything fancy..... we weren't trying to run out the clock.... we weren't trying to execute anything...... we went out to put points on the board, and stop our opponents from doing the samel.

2)We had players buying into a system, and trusting each other to do their job. You didn't have PBuch loosing his man because he's looking in the backfiled. You didn't have Greenwood out of position because he's cheating over to help TJ....... You didn't have Safeties playing uppermiddle Linebacker. You had football players doing what they do best.

3)For whatever reason, the guys believe they can win.

Yeah, our schedule looks pretty tough, but SuperBowl or no, the Indianapolis Colts are one of the best teams in the NFL, and we've played them close going on three years now. IIRC, we lose to them in the 4th quarter. With the depth we've got, and the rotations we'll see, I have no doubt we can take them to the wire in '06, and beat them....... twice. And if we can sweep the Colts(& I believe we can/will), we can beat anybody.

6 wins..... Hah... double it, and throw one more on for good measure........ we're hosting the AFC Championship game boys......... so get ready.

Man, one of the best post I have read so far today...:logo:.:redtowel: :mario: :trophy:

Brandon420tx
08-23-2006, 01:29 PM
I dont care what any article says, I'm standing by my opinion of going 16-0 in the regular season.:texflag: :texflag: :texflag:

Great thread and posts though.

Wolf
08-23-2006, 05:31 PM
I got to go with db and Porky on this.. I think 7 to 9 wins is feasible. so many variables right now. Injuries are the key. D-line has depth so if say payne got hurt we still can go, if D-rob got hurt, kiss it goodbye on the pass defense (just not enough depth yet)

OL, I think we will be ok at the tackle spot, yes there would be growing pains if Winston/Spencer had to step in. Not sure how the line would be if Flannigan got hurt, would McKinney step over and then let Weary move to RG or would they leave McKinney at Guard and put Hodgen in?? anyone seen that scenario at training camp?

RB.. I am ok if DD gets healthy, I think the guys can hold up yet Wali needs some pass blocking lessons(from what I read on here on gameday). WR..if AJ or Moulds went down... changes the dynamics of the WR position dramatically, hopefully Walter could come in and produce.

QB..enigma ...will leave that alone, that horse has been beaten,resusitated, beaten again, horses children have been beaten, come to think of it, that particular herd of horses have been run off of a cliff and then beaten.

hollywood_texan
08-23-2006, 05:44 PM

Very good article.

thunderkyss
08-23-2006, 06:06 PM
.......if Flannigan got hurt, would McKinney step over and then let Weary move to RG or would they leave McKinney at Guard and put Hodgen in?? anyone seen that scenario at training camp?

I know other teams do this as well........ but it never made sense to me. If you move your #1 gaurd over to Center as your #2 Center, & put your #2 gaurd in the gaurd spot..... then you have 2 #2s on your Oline.

Where I would just put my #3 at Center.... & use my fullback, Tailback, H Back to help him out.... then I only have one weakness on my OLine, and the rest is still as strong as it's ever been.