PDA

View Full Version : Houston/Denver stat comparisons 2005/2006

jdog
08-22-2006, 09:00 PM
Hey, I'm bored and decided to figure these stats with the Denver game coming up and all of the other Denver ties. I don't know that the stats show anything new and interesting, but I think they confirm what everyone has expected. Maybe you might see something worth discussing.

It looks like "the system" will increase our productivity overall. We will run a lot more, and our running game will be more effective. Our offense will be more balanced.

One thing that seemed potentially interesting to me is Kubiak's ability to call plays on 4th down conversions seems better than his ability to call plays on 3rd down conversions based on changes here in Houston and in Denver. I am probably reading way too much into it.

Our running game looks to be really strong and a strength of the team even compared to things in Denver. It seems to be the biggest difference between the two teams implementations of this system so far. We seem to be surprisingly good at running in the red zone.

I was hoping to notice some differences in Denver, but all I can see is a slight improvement or emphasis on their passing game.

Here's the stats:

Average yards per play for our preseason: 5.6
Average yards per play for our 2005 season: 4.2
Average yards per play for Denver's preseason: 5.9
Average yards per play for Denver's 2005 season: 5.6

Percentage of running plays for our preseason: 54%
Percentage of running plays for our 2005 season: 49%
Percentage of running plays for Denver's preseason: 59%
Percentage of running plays for Denver's 2005 season: 54%

Average yards per run for our preseason: 5.1
Average yards per run for our 2005 season: 4.2
Average yards per run for Denver's preseason: 4.6
Average yards per run for Denver's 2005 season: 4.7

Percentage of first downs from run/pass for our preseason: 47%/45%
Percentage of first downs from run/pass for our 2005 season: 38%/61%
Percentage of first downs from run/pass for Denver's preseason: 46%/53%
Percentage of first downs from run/pass for Denver's 2005 season: 44%/49%

Percentage of third down conversions for our preseason: 32%
Percentage of third down conversions for our 2005 season: 34%
Percentage of third down conversions for Denver's preseason: 50%
Percentage of third down conversions for Denver's 2005 season: 36%

Percentage of fourth down conversions for our preseason: 100%
Percentage of fourth down conversions for our 2005 season: 47%
Percentage of fourth down conversions for Denver's preseason: 60%
Percentage of fourth down conversions for Denver's 2005 season: 74%

Pass completion percentage for our preseason: 62%
Pass completion percentage for our 2005 season: 60%
Pass completion percentage for Denver's preseason: 66%
Pass completion percentage for Denver's 2005 season: 60%

Average yards per pass for our preseason: 6.6
Average yards per pass for our 2005 season: 5.93
Average yards per pass for Denver's preseason: 8.49
Average yards per pass for Denver's 2005 season: 7.25

Percentage of offensive touchdowns from run for our preseason: 83%
Percentage of offensive touchdowns from run for our 2005 season: 37%
Percentage of offensive touchdowns from run for Denver's preseason: 50%
Percentage of offensive touchdowns from run for Denver's 2005 season: 58%

HeartofHouston
08-23-2006, 02:09 PM
good stats.. thx

HOU-TEX
08-23-2006, 02:19 PM
Nice of you to take the time. Two things kind of stand out more than anything. One being the third down conversions. To me this is very important to get better on, quickly. Secondly, the average yards per pass. I think we need to try to get the ball downfield more often. If you take the 40 something yard pass of Sages away, it'd be even less. Overall, depending how the D holds up we might have a decent chance. Time will tell all.:cool:

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
08-23-2006, 03:16 PM
Great job with all the stat. really is cool to compare from last years #'s. First thing was you saying the % on third downs compared to fourth downs, arent the numbers going to be higher for fourth downs because thay are going to be fewer number of plays on fourth than on third down? Second IMO we have not even scene our true Off. yet. what we have scene is coaches coaching and players learning the new sys., coaches putting players where thay think thay can make the team better. The other reason I say this is because of Kubs no one in the NFL knows how hes going to call games (THERES NO FILM ON HIS PLAY CALLING) so why give teams film to study HIS Off. We can look at % all day and thay look good and we have two wins that looks great. But bottom line is I think Kubiak and comp. have some suprises left IMO the 1st draft pick was just the begining in a line of first for the NEW HOUSTON TEXANS. All I have to say is look out NFL theres a new COACH is Houston and he likes to WIN football games.

jdog
08-23-2006, 03:33 PM
Great job with all the stat. really is cool to compare from last years #'s. First thing was you saying the % on third downs compared to fourth downs, arent the numbers going to be higher for fourth downs because thay are going to be fewer number of plays on fourth than on third down? Second IMO we have not even scene our true Off. yet. what we have scene is coaches coaching and players learning the new sys., coaches putting players where thay think thay can make the team better. The other reason I say this is because of Kubs no one in the NFL knows how hes going to call games (THERES NO FILM ON HIS PLAY CALLING) so why give teams film to study HIS Off. We can look at % all day and thay look good and we have two wins that looks great. But bottom line is I think Kubiak and comp. have some suprises left IMO the 1st draft pick was just the begining in a line of first for the NEW HOUSTON TEXANS. All I have to say is look out NFL theres a new COACH is Houston and he likes to WIN football games.

I agree with you on the fourth downs. There are fewer of them. Also, probably not a whole lot of play calling to it either. I just noticed that fourth down conversions were higher for Denver when Kubiak was there too.

As far as our offense, I guess we really do not know for sure what it is just yet. There is film on it because Kubiak supposedly called the plays in Denver. This is why I think it is interesting that some things from Denver's season in 2005 and our preseason are so comparable (especially yards per play which is a really weird coincidence and the percentage of running plays).

jdog
08-23-2006, 03:38 PM
Nice of you to take the time. Two things kind of stand out more than anything. One being the third down conversions. To me this is very important to get better on, quickly. Secondly, the average yards per pass. I think we need to try to get the ball downfield more often. If you take the 40 something yard pass of Sages away, it'd be even less. Overall, depending how the D holds up we might have a decent chance. Time will tell all.:cool:

Yeah, we really need to improve the third down conversions...or just avoid third downs altogether. :lightbulb:

HOU-TEX
08-23-2006, 03:43 PM

There would be even fewer fourth down plays if we were to convert on 3rd down more often. Personally, I'd much rather have a better 3rd down percentage than 4th down. I would think any team would want that as well. I guess ya never know.:francis:

real
08-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Just because you don't attempt as many 4th down conversions as third down conversions doesn't mean that your percentage has to be lower on third downs...because if you only take two 4th downs and get one thats 50%...try another and don't get it thats 33.33% or something like that...

jdog
08-23-2006, 03:55 PM
There would be even fewer fourth down plays if we were to convert on 3rd down more often. Personally, I'd much rather have a better 3rd down percentage than 4th down. I would think any team would want that as well. I guess ya never know.:francis:

I agree, and I just wonder if maybe it is a weakness in Kubiak's play calling. I love Kubiak. Please don't get me wrong.

jdog
08-23-2006, 03:58 PM
Just because you don't attempt as many 4th down conversions as third down conversions doesn't mean that your percentage has to be lower on third downs...because if you only take two 4th downs and get one thats 50%...try another and don't get it thats 33.33% or something like that...

Yeah, but there's a better chance of getting 50% out of 10 tries than 50% of 250 tries.

HOU-TEX
08-23-2006, 04:00 PM
I agree, and I just wonder if maybe it is a weakness in Kubiak's play calling. I love Kubiak. Please don't get me wrong.

Nah, I think it'll improve. I hope it does, because we were bad in that area last year. I definetly don't want to compare anything to last year either.:brickwall

SESupergenius
08-23-2006, 04:01 PM
good find jdog. And to add to that, the last time Denvers offense took on the Eagles, they smacked them a good one. Not to say we are the same as Denver, but at least it's something for opening day bettors to chew on.

Wolf
08-23-2006, 07:27 PM
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1003/gamelogs/2003

for giggles I looked up plummers stats in his first season with Denver and learning a new system..they must have called for his head

12-25-115yards, 0td and 3 INTS yet Denver wond 30-10 against Cincy in 2003 (nice rating of 21.7) .. yet Plummer bounced back the next 3 games with really good numbers as far as qb ratings

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1003/gamelogs/2003

The Dark Knight
08-24-2006, 12:26 AM
Denver fan checking in

Yeah, we were terrible on third down last year. It wasn't so much a problem with our play calling as it was with our lack of a reliable second receiving option on the short to intermediate routes.

Lelie running streaks all day wasn't fooling anybody and Rod is getting to the point where it's starting to get difficut for him to beat double coverage. Go figure.

That's one of the main reason why we went and got Javon Walker.

With Moulds, Johnson and Puzier, I think you guys will be OK on third down.

I think you'll at least be better on third down than we were last year.:brickwall

Tailgate
08-24-2006, 12:31 AM
Here are some PRE season stats for fun. Found them in here.. good read:

http://www.sportspagemagazine.com/published/pro/broncos-host-gary-kubiakl.shtml

GAME INFORMATION

BRONCOS/TEXANS COMPARISON (‘06 PRESEASON)

BRONCOS TEXANS

Record . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1-1 . . . . . . . . . .2-0
Division Standing . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2nd (AFCW) . . . .1st (AFCS)
NFL Offensive Ranking . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .3rd . . . . . . . . . .8th
Offense-points Per Game . . . . . . . . . . . . . .24.0 . . . . . . . . .25.5
Possession Average . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .34:50 . . . . . . . .29:37
Total Net Yards Per Game . . . . . . . . . . . . .392.0 . . . . . . . .326.0
Net Rushing Yards Per Game . . . . . . . . . .179.0 . . . . . . . .158.0
Net Passing Yards Per Game . . . . . . . . . .213.0 . . . . . . . .168.0
Had Intercepted/Yards Lost . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1/5 . . . . . . . . . .0/0
Sacks Allowed/Yards Lost . . . . . . . . . . . . . .4/24 . . . . . . . . .1/14
Field Goals/FGA . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2/3 . . . . . . . . . .3/5
NFL Defensive Ranking . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .9th . . . . . . . . .12th
Defense-Points Per Game . . . . . . . . . . . . . .15.0 . . . . . . . . .17.9
Defense-Total Net Yards Per Game . . . . .249.0 . . . . . . . .265.5
Defense-Rushing Yards Per Game . . . . . .101.5 . . . . . . . . .83.5
Defense-Passing Yards Per Game . . . . . .147.5 . . . . . . . .182.0
Defense-Intercepted by/Yards . . . . . . . . . . . .2/5 . . . . . . . . . .1/0
Defense-Sacks For/Yards . . . . . . . . . . . . . .4/29 . . . . . . . . .8/55
Punts-Average Yards (Gross) . . . . . . . . . . .42.3 . . . . . . . . .36.4
Punts-Average Yards (Net) . . . . . . . . . . . . .41.3 . . . . . . . . .35.0
Punt Returns-Average Per . . . . . . . . . . . . .13.4 . . . . . . . . .13.9
Punt Returns-Average Per Allowed . . . . . . .1.0 . . . . . . . . . .7.0
Kickoff Returns-Average Per . . . . . . . . . . . .21.6 . . . . . . . . .23.6
Kickoff Returns-Average Per Allowed . . . . .22.8 . . . . . . . . .22.1
Penalties Against/Yards . . . . . . . . . . . . .15/120 . . . . . . .14/142
Fumbles/Lost . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .4/2 . . . . . . . . . .2/1
Opponent Fumbles/Lost . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2/0 . . . . . . . . . .3/2

BRONCOS TEXANS

PASSING YARDS

Cutler . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .291 Rosenfels . . . . . . . . . .177
Plummer . . . . . . . . . . . . .130 Carr . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .122
Van Pelt . . . . . . . . . . . . . .29 Porter . . . . . . . . . . . . . .51

RUSHING YARDS

Cobbs . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .107 Lundy . . . . . . . . . . . . . .99
M. Bell . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .93 Morency . . . . . . . . . . . .95
Nash . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .72 Taylor . . . . . . . . . . . . . .55

RECEIVING YARDS

Scheffler . . . . . . . . . . . . .127 Lewis . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .72
Kircus . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .92 A. Johnson . . . . . . . . . .38
Devoe . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .44 Lundy, Joppru . . . . . . . .35

POINTS SCORED

M. Bell . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .12 K. Brown . . . . . . . . . . . .15
Elam . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .12 Morency . . . . . . . . . . . .12
Four Players . . . . . . . . . . . .6 Four Players . . . . . . . . . .6

INTERCEPTIONS

Ferguson . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1 Curtis . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1
Foxworth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1

SACKS

Veal . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2.0 Peek . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2.0
Paymah . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1.0 Chick, Cochran . . . . . . .1.0
D.J. Williams . . . . . . . . . .1.0 Kalu, Pettway . . . . . . . .1.0

BRONCOS/TEXANS PRESEASON SERIES BREAKDOWN

Series Meetings: 3

Broncos Record: 3-0-0 (Home: 1-0 / Away: 2-0 / Neutral: 0-0)

First Game: Den. 20, at Hou. 12 (8/9/03)
Last Game: Den. 20, at Hou. 14 (8/13/05)
Current Streak: Won 3
Longest Den. Win Streak: 3 (8/9/03 – 8/13/05)
Longest Hou. Win Streak: None
Last Den. Home Win: at Den. 31, Hou. 17 (8/27/04)
Last Den. Home Loss: None
Last Den. Road Win: Den. 20, at Hou. 14 (8/13/05)
Last Den. Road Loss: None
Den. Shutouts: None
Hou. Shutouts: None
Most Den. Points: 31 (8/27/04): at Den. 31, Hou. 17
Most Hou. Points: 17 (8/27/04): at Den. 31, Hou. 17
Total Den. Points: 71
Total Hou. Points: 43
Average Den. Points: 23.7
Average Hou. Points: 14.3
Largest Den. Win: 14 (8/27/04): at Den. 31, Hou. 17
Largest Hou. Win: None
BRONCOS/TEXANS ALL-TIME RESULTS (PRESEASON)
Date W/L Score Site
Aug. 9, 2003 W Denver 20, at Houston 12 Reliant Stadium
Aug. 27, 2004 W at Denver 31, Houston 17 INVESCO Field at Mile High
Aug. 13, 2005 W Denver 20, at Houston 14 Reliant Stadium

GAME INFORMATION

TEAM COMPARISON - OTHER KEY AREAS (‘06 PRESEASON)

CATEGORY (NFL RANK) BRONCOS TEXANS

3rd Down Offense 50.0% (4t) 32.0% (26)
3rd Down Defense 40.9% (20) 35.7% (12t)
Red Zone Offense—TD Pct. 50.0% (N/A) 57.1% (N/A)
Red Zone Defense—TD Pct. 40.0% (N/A) 57.1% (N/A)
Takeaways 2 (20t) 3 (10t)
Giveaways 3 (16t) 1 (2t)
Turnover Ratio -1 (19t) +2 (5t)

NOTES FROM DENVER’S THREE

PRESEASON GAMES WITH HOUSTON

DENVER 20, at HOUSTON 14 (Aug. 13, 2005)

Broncos WR Todd Devoe records a 92-yard TD reception on a Matt Mauck pass to mark the second-longest scoring reception by a Bronco in the preseason in team history… CB Darrent Williams becomes the first Broncos rookie to start a preseason opener at cornerback since 1974.

at DENVER 31, Houston 17 (Aug. 27, 2004)

The Broncos outscore the Texans 24-3 during the final two-and-a half quarters... Denver QB Danny Kanell tosses two touchdown passes, including a 74-yard connection with WR Triandos Luke in the fourth quarter.

DENVER 20, at Houston 12 (Aug. 9, 2003)

QB Jake Plummer makes his debut for the Broncos, completing 3-of-5 passes for 47 yards with a 12-yard touchdown pass to Chris Cole... Denver limits Houston to 3-of-15 (20 percent) success on third downs.