PDA

View Full Version : Late Report: What I saw in the Rams game

GP
08-22-2006, 07:28 PM
Sorry so late. I just now was able to sit down and patiently, methodically watch and re-watch the Rams game. I noticed a few things, and thought I would share them while still fresh on my mind:

1. Rams frustrated by our run defense (or were they?):

First Rams play of the game is a run, then they throw nine consecutive passes. We were stuffing the run. Period. And on the ninth consecutive pass, Demeco chips the TE (# 87) but lets him run by as Demeco and two other Texans LBs just stare into the backfield watching what (in my opinion) was a badly executed play-action play by Bulger and Jackson: Bulger doesn't get the ball anywhere near Jackson, and Jackson never really sells the run at all, yet our LBs are locking onto the backfield when they've just been passed on for eight consecutive plays up until that point. After the ninth consecutive pass play, the Texans seem to get smart and start understanding that the Rams are just gunning it. I believe the next play was a run by Jackson, which was (what a shock) STUFFED and dogpiled from the get-go. Now, I don't know if the Rams were frustrated by our run defense or if they were taking what we would give them, or if they were intentionally running pass plays as part of their own analysis for future gameplanning against other teams, or what. I just know that they weren't getting squat against us in terms of the run.

2. Bulger had a lot of high throws, mostly due to pressure.

Mario was often stood up at the snap, by a single defender, and then a second defender would roll to him and double him...keeping him away from the QB. Mario was lined up inside a LOT, and Peek was getting great penetration with great blasts off the snap and spin moves that kept getting him close to the QB. Mario throws his hands up and into the face of Bulger on the play where the receiver drifts out-of-bounds, causing Bulger to put more arc on the ball and thus throw it too far out of bounds for the receiver. Mario was held earlier by the center (# 67) on a play where Barron was called for a holding (I think the refs mis-called it because the hold happened at Barron's spot, but the center pulls at the snap and goes to Barron's spot to take on Mario).

3. Horible playcalling on one series where a 3rd & long featured AJ running a 2-yard crossing pattern on a 3rd & 10. Did Dom Capers and former staff sneak into the coordinator's booth and make this call?:

(1) On the 3rd & long play, Carr holds the ball, from the very snap of the ball, at the level of his hip...and not at his earhole where you see QBs able to snap the ball out quickly (And, by the way, where we see it in all the training camp clips of David Carr). (2) It takes a year-and-a-half for him to raise the ball to the point where he can throw it, and by that time AJ has crossed way ahead of the passing lane for Carr, and (3) Carr does a weird little flip of his right hand to throw the ball as he is also leaning backwards while doing it. He was not so pressured as to the point that he needed to do this. (4) On the same play, Carr has not other WR options because Breuner runs up field at the snap, blocking a defender, then releasing and running forward ina straight line only to engage and block another player--Why did he do this? Why is he run blocking on a passing play? Was he trying to clear it out for AJ who was crossing over the middle on a stupid 2-yd. route? The other TE does almost as poorly, just running hard at the snap and never looking back to see if his QB needed help. It looked like Breuner was run blocking, AJ was running a 3rd-and-2 route on 3rd & 10, and the other TE was running a Hail Mary route as if he were going deep. Totally stupid play call, and reminded me of 2005.

Oh, and then we see a shot of Kubiak chewing out David...with David acting very sheepish. It was a bad play that was called, and a bad effort on David's behalf, Breuner's behalf, and the other TE's behalf. Ugly. Very 2005'ish.

4. We got ate up by the Rams passing attack, at least when Bulger was able to throw with little or no pressure on him.

I fear we are going to be great at stopping the run, while our pass defense is going to take a licking if it doesn't improve quickly. I am not satisfied with what I saw from our LBs in terms of defending receivers. I was not impressed with our defensive backs abilities at the first of the game when they were giving the Rams receivers too much of a cushion. They tightened it up and pressed the receivers a little bit more as the 1st quarter progressed, and it became evident that they were not running the ball anymore. Overall, the pass defense by the LBs and DBacks has got to get a whole lot better or we are going to get passed on and scored on a lot, making it difficult for us to establish our own running game and passing game the way we would like to.

Greenwood put a lick on Bulger. McLeon put a lick on Curtis. I like the "physicality" of our players when they are near the ball, it's just the coverage schemes themselves that I am having trouble with right now.

thunderkyss
08-22-2006, 09:10 PM
Cool review..... thanks for your time. a few questions.

let's say it's third and long, you expect a blitz....... what kind of play do you call??

I noticed on most of Bulger's throws, he had released the ball in the 2 second range..... he's done scanned the field, decided where the ball needs to go, and the ball was out of his hand under three seconds...... two point something. Do you think it just looked like he had a lot of time, because of the lack of pressure, or did you time it??

gp........ I'm not arguing, and I do appreciate you taking the time to offer this review...... I'm just discussing.

RiotCommander
08-22-2006, 09:22 PM
Cool review..... thanks for your time. a few questions.

let's say it's third and long, you expect a blitz....... what kind of play do you call??

I noticed on most of Bulger's throws, he had released the ball in the 2 second range..... he's done scanned the field, decided where the ball needs to go, and the ball was out of his hand under three seconds...... two point something. Do you think it just looked like he had a lot of time, because of the lack of pressure, or did you time it??

gp........ I'm not arguing, and I do appreciate you taking the time to offer this review...... I'm just discussing.

Rather vague quesetion. Usually when a blitz is coming you need to know how many people you think are coming. Will your protection be able to pick it up? If not do you have a hot rout? A blitz means that your going to get someon wide open, and you have to find it before the blitz finds you. Manning is the master of that.

jdog
08-22-2006, 09:26 PM
Yeah, AJ is supposed to be great at YAC so maybe they were just wanting to get it to him quickly on a drag and let him run for the first. It would explain Bruener being in run blocking mode. The other TE is keeping them guessing since they are expecting a long pass in that situation. The play would take advantage of the fact that they are blitzing.

thunderkyss
08-22-2006, 09:34 PM
Yeah, AJ is supposed to be great at YAC so maybe they were just wanting to get it to him quickly on a drag and let him run for the first. It would explain Bruener being in run blocking mode. The other TE is keeping them guessing since they are expecting a long pass in that situation. The play would take advantage of the fact that they are blitzing.

Bingo........ that's what I'm thinking.

Nighthawk
08-23-2006, 12:40 AM
I noticed on most of Bulger's throws, he had released the ball in the 2 second range..... he's done scanned the field, decided where the ball needs to go, and the ball was out of his hand under three seconds...... two point something.

I don't want to get on anyone's case, but I'm glad you noticed this. Last year, when everyone was yelling about David Carr not having any time, I spent a Sunday with a stopwatch, looking at several games.

On average it seemed as if other QBs ROUTINELY got the ball out under 3 seconds, and I'm talking a half-dozen different QBs in different games.

veazeyt
08-23-2006, 12:51 AM
I agree that The Texans will probably have a pretty stout run defense, so naturally the teams will go to the pass more often.

As we all know the Colts have lost Edgerrin James this year, meaning they might rely on the pass slightly more this year.

I hope the our secondary can improve a lot more because The Colts are definitely coming!

texan279
08-23-2006, 12:56 AM
Hopefully with the improved line play it will help the secondary out, although it hasn't looked like it so far. PBuch seemed to step his game up last Saturday except for the one pass interference call, because the second was total BS. With the money invested in the defensive line we should have at least a top 5 defensive line in the near future.

phantom17
08-23-2006, 01:00 AM
Very NICE review! Thanks!:mario:

veazeyt
08-23-2006, 01:00 AM
Perhaps if the texans have a supremely successful season, meaning 8-8 on my terms, then shoring up those areas will be paramount.

In this case,

Perhaps we are a couple of key draft picks and a free agent away from a play-off bound team!

El Tejano
08-23-2006, 10:23 AM
My hopes is that we will have a good enough run offense to make sure teams that like to pass hardly get on the field.

real
08-23-2006, 10:31 AM
One thing that I would like to point out is that Mario was not in on some of those series...They brought in Kalu quite often...I rewatched the game also, and i was really impressed with Mario...When I first watched the game it appeared that he was getting stood up, but he wasn't...he was standing his man up almost as if he was still playing strong side.... and did anyone see peek punch that offensive lineman ? Did anyone see when DeMeco blasted D.Rob...just thought that was funny....

HOU-TEX
08-23-2006, 10:35 AM
One thing that I would like to point out is that Mario was not in on some of those series...They brought in Kalu quite often...I rewatched the game also, and i was really impressed with Mario...When I first watched the game it appeared that he was getting stood up, but he wasn't...he was standing his man up almost as if he was still playing strong side.... and did anyone see peek punch that offensive lineman ? Did anyone see when DeMeco blasted D.Rob...just thought that was funny....

I don't recall this one. What happened?:spy:

real
08-23-2006, 10:40 AM
I don't recall this one. What happened?:spy:

It was on a third down stop and I can't remember if it was a running back out of the flats or a reciever, but D-rob was in on the tackle and, when the play was about dead DeMeco came flying in and got a whole lot of Dunta and not much else...I thought he hurt himself when I first saw it but he was cool...Just thought it was funny...

HOU-TEX
08-23-2006, 10:44 AM
It was on a third down stop and I can't remember if it was a running back out of the flats or a reciever, but D-rob was in on the tackle and, when the play was about dead DeMeco came flying in and got a whole lot of Dunta and not much else...I thought he hurt himself when I first saw it but he was cool...Just thought it was funny...

Oh, was it the play where they showed Dunta kind of shaken up a bit walking to the sidelines? He was shaking his arm/hand I think.

real
08-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Oh, was it the play where they showed Dunta kind of shaken up a bit walking to the sidelines? He was shaking his arm/hand I think.

Yes...I think that was the play...

HJam72
08-23-2006, 12:26 PM
Injuring Dunta Robinson is a good way to go from "promising young talent" to "doghouse". :brickwall

This should be lesson #1 for rookie LBs. :)

HOU-TEX
08-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Injuring Dunta Robinson is a good way to go from "promising young talent" to "doghouse". :brickwall

This should be lesson #1 for rookie LBs. :)

It happens. Many serious injuries come from a players teamates. It's a part of football. As long as he kept his head up and eyes open, I won't place the blame on him.:twocents:

HJam72
08-23-2006, 12:33 PM
My hopes is that we will have a good enough run offense to make sure teams that like to pass hardly get on the field.

Your wish is Kubiak's command. I think a good run offense is going to be almost inevitable.

thunderkyss
08-23-2006, 12:58 PM

No that was the corner blitz that he got lit up on.

michaelm
08-23-2006, 01:17 PM
..When I first watched the game it appeared that he was getting stood up, but he wasn't...he was standing his man up almost as if he was still playing strong side....

I'm glad you saw it this way too. This is exactly what I was seeing, but it seemed kind of strange. It looked as if Mario were getting inside his man's pads and standing him up to see which side of the lineman the play was coming to.
the guy has incredibly strong arms from what I see. On the play that Mario blocked the pass (at least I think this was the play), he gets into his man, pushes him back, decides to take an inside rush, and just tosses the guy off like nothing... he is doubled on the play but still blocks the pass...

Meloy
08-23-2006, 01:27 PM
I'm glad you saw it this way too. This is exactly what I was seeing, but it seemed kind of strange. It looked as if Mario were getting inside his man's pads and standing him up to see which side of the lineman the play was coming to.
the guy has incredibly strong arms from what I see. On the play that Mario blocked the pass (at least I think this was the play), he gets into his man, pushes him back, decides to take an inside rush, and just tosses the guy off like nothing... he is doubled on the play but still blocks the pass...
I think I'm going to challenge Mario to an arm wrestling match....going to scratch my bu_ _ just before in case I can't afterwards.:mario: :yahoo: