PDA

View Full Version : A few DD stats and comparisons

eriadoc
08-22-2006, 04:40 PM
Stats don't tell the whole story, so take this FWIW. I posted on another thread and it got me to thinking. Taking into account missed starts, exactly what has DD done for us, production-wise? Some backs grind it out on the ground and some are dual-threat runners and receivers, so this is not a completely fair comparison, but it does give some food for thought.

DD has only played three years, but I took the best three seasons of the backs listed and averaged their total yards per game to compare. In no case were any backs' best three seasons in their first three. With DD, we only have these three from which to draw comparisons. In cases where teams haven't had an established RB for any significant length of time, I either omitted them, I took the stats of their most recent back with a track record, or I drew stats out for their back that has been with more than one team (Dillon, Edge, etc.).

Marshall Faulk - 147.06 YPG
Tiki Barber - 143.77
Priest Holmes - 147.73
Edgerrin James - 134.85
Clinton Portis - 134.46
L. Tomlinson - 132.79
Jamal Lewis - 129.54
Ahman Green - 127.47
Dom Davis - 124.19
Shaun Alexander - 118.17
Fred Taylor - 117.84
Curtis Martin - 117.51
Deuce McAllister - 115.53
B. Westbrook - 115.40
Corey Dillon - 105.95
Warrick Dunn - 99.80

Just for kicks, I checked out the single season YPG for the Super Bowl winning backs for the last few years.

2005: Willie Parker - 94.66
2004: Corey Dillon - 115.86
2003: Antowain Smith/Faulk - RBBC and couldn't figure out percentages of playtime.
2002: Antowain Smith - 89.93 (started 15 games)
2001: Jamal Lewis - 127.69

Also worth mentioning - the Texans finished 15th in rushing in the NFL last season and 12th in rushing in 2004.

Brandon420tx
08-22-2006, 04:42 PM
nvm

painekiller
08-22-2006, 05:00 PM
And in the real world would you rather have DD or Shaun Alexander? Come on now, this will show why for fantasy football DD was good, but in the real world I would rather have Alexander or a back like him. Give me a 20 + carry for 16 game guy and I will be more than happy. And BTW Alexander scored how many TDs to Davis' Tds? 27 to 2 that does account for something.

Teams let the Texans run the ball between the 20's last year knowing Davis was not going to beat them. It padded his stats and shorten the game for the other team. Davis is a good back but no other team fears him. That is the difference between him and an Alexander.

The new Texans offense will control the game and the other team must stop all the weapons in order to beat the team, something the last offense did not do, have weapons, none. Worse design offense I have ever seen above peewee league. A total embarrassment.

eriadoc
08-22-2006, 05:39 PM
Well, last year's failure was a total team effort and certainly not a good basis for comparison. The post above was intended to point out that DD is nowhere near as bad as many people like to make him out to be. As for the Alexander comparison - that's not one I'd make in one of DD's best years. They are two different types of backs. If you prefer a back like Alexander, who gets nearly all of his yards on the ground, that's a preference thing. I like DD's game. I like backs that have a dual role. I'm not saying DD is HoF-bound or anything, but he's not as bad as you make out. Did anyone on the team outscore his 6 TDs last season? In 2004, he posted 1776 total yards and 14 TDs. Was that a paper tiger performance? DD has been a bright spot on a team thta has sucked all around him. And you're right - teams haven't had to fear DD, because it's not like the playaction was ever going to torch them. Is that DD's fault?

DD, when healthy, is in the top half of running backs in this league. Of course, I'd take Alexander over him. I'd take Tiki Barber (age notwithstanding) over both of them, because his style is closests to the dual-role back that I prefer. That wasn't really the point of the post above, however.

jdog
08-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Add to this the passing/receiving stats of each of these teams, and I think we will see the bigger picture.

jdog
08-22-2006, 06:06 PM
For example, 14% of our passing plays went to DD, and 0% of Seattle's passing plays went to Shaun Alexander. I know you mentioned that some players are duel threats, but it does make a big difference in yards per game unless you are only counting rushing yards.

Also, last year Shaun Alexander had 5.1 yards per carry on average, and DD had 4.2.

However, there is no doubt in my mind that DD is a great back.

thunderkyss
08-22-2006, 06:40 PM
eriadoc.......... I've done this myself... you put the stats up, and prove what a contribution to this team DD has been, and people will bring up excuses to discredit what the man did. His knees may very well be shot, because he did everything he could on everydown he played to make this team a winner....... but it's time to move on.

They'll give a QB who has given us lackluster Rookie performance year after year 8 years to prove he belongs in the NFL, but they won't give DD till the beggining of the regular season to prove he is healthy enough to help us at least one more time.

It's sickening really.

just like you said, none of the guys you mentioned put up their best numbers in the first three years they were in the league. not many of them started as many games due to injuries, or not being good enough to start on their respective teams, or whatever....... To me, those facts lead me to believe we haven't seen the best of DD yet. Everybody(except Emmitt & LT) gets hurt in their first three years..... running backs need to learn how to condition themselves, and learn how to take a hit in the NFL.

Suan Alexander....... how long did it take StL to realize they wanted to keep him?? How many times did they let him become a free agent?? They called him soft....... they said he wasn't tough enough to play in the NFL.... Same thing with Tiki Barber..... how many times has the NYfootballGiants tried to find a replacement for him??

But we all know what these guys did last year, and the year before...... but how many of us remember what they were like their first three years?? (I don't).

IT's a fools bet to go chasing the mature/proven running back...... trying to get an edgerinJames, or SuanAlexander MikeAndersonin FA.... & it's too risky
to shell out big bucks to find an Emmit Smith, Reggie Bush, BlairThompson, RonDayne.... Especially after you've got a guy who has proven to have the talent, & the mental fortitude to be productive in the NFl. add to that a coach that turns guys who have proven less than DD into probowlers, league leaders, and all time greats........ c'mon.......... get otta town......

For example, 14% of our passing plays went to DD, and 0% of Seattle's passing plays went to Shaun Alexander. I know you mentioned that some players are duel threats, but it does make a big difference in yards per game unless you are only counting rushing yards.

Also, last year Shaun Alexander had 5.1 yards per carry on average, and DD had 4.2.

However, there is no doubt in my mind that DD is a great back.

to me, that just proves DD was the right guy for this team...... everything we've asked him to do, he's done.......