PDA

View Full Version : D. Davis

DreDaMan05
08-20-2006, 10:15 PM
Do to the play of our young RB, if DD could make it back for the opener against the Eagles would you start him?

TexanSam
08-20-2006, 10:24 PM
No. Unless he plays in a preseason game and has actual contact, I wouldn't start him. I would play him if he's ready, but not as the starting RB.

AFD1717
08-20-2006, 11:07 PM
No. Unless he plays in a preseason game and has actual contact, I wouldn't start him. I would play him if he's ready, but not as the starting RB.
Exactly. Once he puts the pads on, he still needs to get in game shape.

The Pencil Neck
08-20-2006, 11:07 PM
Do to the play of our young RB, if DD could make it back for the opener against the Eagles would you start him?

No. He still has to work into the system. We don't want him in there until he's totally comfortable with the system AND he's feeling good. Especially if we've got guys we trust playing and can give him that time.

South Texan
08-21-2006, 07:53 AM
Probably wouldn't start him, but I sure would like to see him in on a drive or two to "test the water" early in the game. Considering how he has done in previous years behind less than solid blocking, I think he really deserves the chance.

thunderkyss
08-21-2006, 08:01 AM
Depends on what he looks like in practice. But if he tells coach he is ready to play on Monday, he should start Sunday........ depending on what he looks like in practice.

Double Barrel
08-21-2006, 10:54 AM
With the way Morency and Lundy are playing right now, DD may have to earn his spot back (which is not a bad thing).

TexansFanatic
08-21-2006, 11:11 AM
Why are we even continuing to talk about Domanick Davis? Isn't it fairly evident his career is over?

Blu
08-21-2006, 11:27 AM
With the way Morency and Lundy are playing right now, DD may have to earn his spot back (which is not a bad thing).
Plus both of those guys can pickup a block if need be.

I say sit him till week 4 and then bring him in on 3rd downs.

killeentexan
08-21-2006, 11:38 AM
Plus both of those guys can pickup a block if need be.

I say sit him till week 4 and then bring him in on 3rd downs.

I disagree with most everyone in this topic so far. I think Davis, when healthy, has proven over the past 3 years what he is capable of. I don't think either Morency or Lundy have proven anything based on 2 meaningless preseason games. If healthy, and he will have to show he is healthy during practice, I would start Davis every time. The league is full of marginal players who light it up during the preseason. While I'm not saying that Morency and Lundy are marginal players, they have yet to show me anything when it counts - Davis has. If Davis is truly hurt worse then I hope and he misses significant time, then I believe we're in good shape based on the first couple of preseason games. However, I'll take proven regular season production over preseason production when/if available.

and oh by the way - Lundy can't block to save his (or his QB's) life.

texan279
08-21-2006, 11:39 AM
IMO Morency is just a faster DD who can block, if he stays consistent, the job should be Morency's.

Ibar_Harry
08-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Unfortunately I think the reality is that either DD will be cut or put on some sort of injured list before the start of the season. I think they will evaluate him at the bye week if he is on an injured list. He's to valueable a commodity if he's going to be OK. Cloacknndagger probably has this one correct. I think DD is probably through unless he has additional surgery that can clear up his problems assuming they are not chronic. If they are chronic then another player bits the dust based on overwork by Capers and company when it didn't mean anything.

thunderkyss
08-21-2006, 11:54 AM
IMO Morency is just a faster DD who can block, if he stays consistent, the job should be Morency's.

on most all of Morency's big runs, they were straight up run blocking plays....... the whole is going to be here, hit it, and hit it hard.... and he did.

I'd like to see him on a stretch play where he has to choose which whole to hit. I'd like to see him do it with the consistency DD has.

Double Barrel
08-21-2006, 11:54 AM
I disagree with most everyone in this topic so far.

You are free to disagree (it's America!), but many of us follow what Kubiak says about the matter.

The coaches plan to give two backs a lot of carries in the regular season unless one emerges as the clear-cut winner in the competition to excel in the system Kubiak and Calhoun brought from Denver.

"I envision us playing more than one guy," Kubiak said. "We'll play two for sure. We might play three. We'll definitely have a system where we'll rotate so we're not wearing out one guy."

To be one of those backs, a runner has to block, especially on blitz pickup. If the back can't help protect quarterback David Carr, then he won't be on the field.

I'm not down on DD and have always liked him. But the fact remains that he has never played a full season without sitting out for injury, and the latest news isn't great on his immediate return from rehab.

We've got to face a reality that DD might not be the answer anymore.

tulexan
08-21-2006, 11:57 AM
on most all of Morency's big runs, they were straight up run blocking plays....... the whole is going to be here, hit it, and hit it hard.... and he did.

I'd like to see him on a stretch play where he has to choose which whole to hit. I'd like to see him do it with the consistency DD has.

Yeah but Davis would've been caught from behind after 20 yards

real
08-21-2006, 11:58 AM
We've got to face a reality that DD might not be the answer anymore.

IMO, DD has never been the "answer"....I never thought DD was the type of running back that could carry a team and be an everydown back....But with him, Morency, and Lundy all splitting carries we could have a heck of a running game...

texan279
08-21-2006, 12:06 PM

Does it really matter? He got the job done, he averaged 8.6 yards per carry, scored 2 TD's, and his longest run was 43 yards, in Davis' last 2 seasons his longest run has only been 44 yards. And the hole is not always going to be there, good defenses find ways to stop the run and plug holes. And did you see the broken tackles and second effort Vernand was making all night while he was in?

texan279
08-21-2006, 12:07 PM
IMO, DD has never been the "answer"....I never thought DD was the type of running back that could carry a team and be an everydown back....But with him, Morency, and Lundy all splitting carries we could have a heck of a running game...

I thought I was the only one who felt this way, good post.

thunderkyss
08-21-2006, 12:13 PM
Yeah but Davis would've been caught from behind after 20 yards
Not on that play...... DD would have taken it to the house..... from inside the 50, DD is a threat to score everytime he touches the ball

Does it really matter? He got the job done, he averaged 8.6 yards per carry, scored 2 TD's, and his longest run was 43 yards, in Davis' last 2 seasons his longest run has only been 44 yards. And the hole is not always going to be there, good defenses find ways to stop the run and plug holes. And did you see the broken tackles and second effort Vernand was making all night while he was in?

I'm just saying we know DD can do it, and has done it against the NFL for the last three years. Morency looks good...... Lundy looks good. but before I start them over DD, I need to see them do it when it counts.

tulexan
08-21-2006, 12:17 PM
Not on that play...... DD would have taken it to the house..... from inside the 50, DD is a threat to score everytime he touches the ball

I'm not sure about that.

texan279
08-21-2006, 12:17 PM

I'm just saying we know DD can do it, and has done it against the NFL for the last three years. Morency looks good...... Lundy looks good. but before I start them over DD, I need to see them do it when it counts.

Please tell me you are kidding. DD's career long rush is only 51 yards and out of 770 career rushes he only has THIRTEEN that were longer than 20 yards.

real
08-21-2006, 12:23 PM
IMO, DD is not THAT good to where he can come off of an injury that has kept him out for so long that people question whether he is coming back at all, and start...That is mad...DD wasn't a world beater before he went down...He was an o.k back...nothing special about him....Morency and Lundy IMO, deserve a shot a carrying the load which they will get, because I don't see DD coming back before the season if he ever comes back at all...

gumper27
08-21-2006, 01:21 PM
I have antwann in a fantasy draft and morency what should I do? Drop smith and pickup lundy or is there a chance smith will be a starter. Once I drop him I can no longer pick him up.

santo
08-21-2006, 01:27 PM
I have antwann in a fantasy draft and morency what should I do? Drop smith and pickup lundy or is there a chance smith will be a starter. Once I drop him I can no longer pick him up.

I had the same dilemma. I had Antwann as my starter, but I ended picking up Lundy and dropping Smith.

I believe you can not go wrong with either Morency or Lundy at this point.