PDA

View Full Version : Texans: What were you wrong about?

Hervoyel
08-20-2006, 08:19 PM
Ok, here's an idea I had for a thread that is technically a Texans subject but it's got just as much to do with each of the message board posters and how they approach rooting for "our" team.

What I'd like to know is what one (or more if you're so inclined) thing were you completely wrong about since the Texans started play in 2002? What player that didn't work out did you think was going to make a difference to this team or what player that you thought was useless turned out to be an asset? Name one thing about the Texans that you were positive would be one way and instead turned out completely different.

If you would like you can also throw in something you were positive about and got 100% correct.

For me that "thing I got wrong" would be Tony Boselli's shoulder. I bought that story hook, line, and sinker and thought he was going to play for us right up until the night that SoCal came here and leaked that Tony would retire the next day. Now being wrong about one player isn't that big a deal but it started (at least for me) a period of two or so years where I bought into every crazy idea the coaching staff came up with right up until they foisted Victor Riley on us. That's when I got wise, aa little later than I should have IMO.

Cutting the sacks down in 2003 helped convince me that we were just about there (as soon as Tony gets on the field we'll have a heck of an offensive line!) but now, looking back on it all I honestly don't think the people we had putting the whole thing together were even close to being on the same page (Dom, Chris, and later Joe Pendry) and so you could have probably given them 5-7 Pro Bowl linemen and they still would have looked like they didn't know what they were doing.

My second completely wrong about that story was Tony Hollings. I thought Hollings was going to be some kind of Terrell Davis who we lucked out and stole in the supplemental draft. I could not have been more wrong about a player. Tony couldn't have been more ordinary. I'm not sure but I think we've signed better street free agents than this guy. What an obscene waste of a 2.

KKHouston
08-20-2006, 08:20 PM
Ok, here's an idea I had for a thread that is technically a Texans subject but it's got just as much to do with each of the message board posters and how they approach rooting for "our" team.

What I'd like to know is what one (or more if you're so inclined) thing since 2002 that you were completely wrong about. What player that didn't work out did you think was going to make a difference to this team or what player that you thought was useless turned out to be an asset? Name one thing about the Texans that you were positive would be one way and instead turned out completely different.

If you would like you can also throw in something you were positive about and got 100% correct.

For me that "thing I got wrong" would be Tony Boselli's shoulder. I bought that story hook, line, and sinker and thought he was going to play for us right up until the night that SoCal came here and leaked that Tony would retire the next day. Now being wrong about one player isn't that big a deal but it started (at least for me) a period of two or so years where I bought into every ****-eyed idea the coaching staff came up with right up until they foisted Victor Riley on us. That's when I got wise, aa little later than I should have IMO.

Cutting the sacks down in 2003 helped convince me that we were just about there (as soon as Tony gets on the field we'll have a heck of an offensive line!) but now, looking back on it all I honestly don't think the people we had putting the whole thing together were even close to being on the same page (Dom, Chris, and later Joe Pendry) and so you could have probably given them 5-7 Pro Bowl linemen and they still would have looked like they didn't know what they were doing.

My second completely wrong about that story was Tony Hollings. I thought Hollings was going to be some kind of Terrell Davis who we lucked out and stole in the supplemental draft. I could not have been more wrong about a player. Tony couldn't have been more ordinary. I'm not sure but I think we've signed better street free agents than this guy. What an obscene waste of a 2.

P. Buc

jdog
08-20-2006, 08:24 PM
I thought Dom Capers was a good coach.

I thought we would have a winning season last year.

I thought we should draft Reggie Bush.

I thought Gaffney was going to step up last year.

I thought Buchanon would start at CB this year.

I thought we should have hired Al Saunders.

RTP2110
08-20-2006, 08:24 PM
Ok, i'LL admit it. When Sharper and Glenn were released, I actually bought into the younger, faster defense idea.

Jwwillis
08-20-2006, 08:25 PM
I was wrong about

Hollings
Pbuc
The entire 2005 season - (I was an anti-sky-is-falling poster last year in preseason...and the sky fell)
Miller
Gaffney

ledzeppelin229
08-20-2006, 08:28 PM
I messed up on Hollings as well. I actually thought maybe theyll spend a 2nd on this great GA Tech RB that has speed...then they actually did it. The problem is that I really didn't know much of anything about NFL football/drafts back then. (I didn't really start following the game again until Houston/Dallas squared off in 2002). So I definitely missed on him being a great runner.

chuckm
08-20-2006, 08:30 PM
good thread idea herv ....

My first reaction to the PBuc trade was akin to smelling dogc**p .... (right, so far)
My first reaction to the Wade signing was a smile .......... (wrong wrong wrong)

Malloy
08-20-2006, 08:31 PM
I wanted Ragone to start... Perhaps I still do ;)

NEROtheZERO
08-20-2006, 08:36 PM
Being a huge Georgia Tech fan, I am going with the consensus on Hollings.

I watched the kid play at Tech and was amazed. When I found out the Texans drafted him I was ecstatic. But we all know how that story ends.

Jwwillis
08-20-2006, 08:38 PM
I wanted Ragone to start... Perhaps I still do ;)

This is starting to feel like a theropy thread.

Kaiser Toro
08-20-2006, 08:39 PM
Boselli and Babin

Jwwillis
08-20-2006, 08:39 PM
Being a huge Georgia Tech fan, I am going with the consensus on Hollings.

I watched the kid play at Tech and was amazed. When I found out the Texans drafted him I was ecstatic. But we all know how that story ends.

Actually it hasn't ended. He plays for da Bears. I still wish the kid good.

Marcus
08-20-2006, 08:40 PM
I was wrong about . . .

the 3-4 defense.

I thought that, given at least 4 years of molding and acquiring the right players . . . Capers would have a Steeler type defense that would be the identity of the team.

I still can't understand why it didn't turn out that way.

PapaL
08-20-2006, 08:40 PM
Ok, i'LL admit it. When Sharper and Glenn were released, I actually bought into the younger, faster defense idea.

I still buy into that.

For me it all starts with the coaching staff. I was sure Capers and the 3-4 D would be a great thing. I mean look how successful everyone else was with it.

gtexan02
08-20-2006, 08:45 PM
I completely thought that Mathis would develop into our #2 receiver
I believed Robinson + Buchannon would be the best CB duo in the NFL
I thought Joppru would come back every year
I thought we were going to sign Orlando Pace
I thought we were going to the playoffs last year

Wolf
08-20-2006, 08:49 PM
I was wrong about Boselli. I was wrong about Jermaine Lewis, Ryan Young was supposed to be our young tackle of the future on the right side until injuries.

I bought into the younger leaner faster defense.. for 2005, I thought we had hope for the OL after the 2004 season.

milford brown, I thought would be with us still (reading the draft bios) and I figured Hollings was a boom or bust thin, but went with the potential that Hollings gave, so I imagine I was wrong about that too..

edo783
08-20-2006, 08:54 PM
Capers, I actually thought he would be a good head caoch.
Bossellie - thought it was just a matter of time
Wade - I guess I just wanted an O-line so bad.
That We would be better on Defense just because we got younger.

Johnny Utah
08-20-2006, 08:57 PM
I was wrong for buying into Casserly's nonsense.

Hervoyel
08-20-2006, 09:02 PM

No, actually he's moved on again. He's a Colt now. So far this preseason he has zero carries and one reception for 8 yards if I'm not mistaken.

In the meantime if you go to NFL.com and look at the individual rushing stats Houston has 3 guys in the top 30. Lundy is #3, Morency is at 7, and Chris Taylor is at 30. Proves nothing but while these guys are in motion Tony is still basically in "Park" just like he was for 3 years here in Houston.

This is a running offense. We're gonna run and run and run some more. If there was anything to find in Tony Hollings I think Kubiak & Co. would have spotted it and at least made an effort to get him to come back on the cheap to test drive him.

HoustonFan
08-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Capers turning this team into a playoff contender in the second or 3rd yr.

TexanSam
08-20-2006, 09:03 PM
I thought Capers was a good NFL head coach.

I thought Chris Palmer would do wonders for David Carr because he was a former NFL head coach.

I thought we would get better without Glenn or Sharper.

I thought we would have a winning season last year...before the preseason.

Porky
08-20-2006, 09:13 PM
Got it wrong -
I thought Boselli and Ryan Young would be great bookends at tackle.
I thought David Carr would be an elite QB by year 4
I thought Gaffney was underrated and under appreciated.
I thought Capers was competent
I too got Hollings wrong

Got it right -
I thought the Pbuc trade and subsequent release of Glenn was a huge mistake
I thought the drafting of Morency was wise, and that he would eventually be our lead back over DD, whether healthy or not
I wanted Kubiak in 2002, and wanted him last yr
I thought we paid too much for Greenwood, Wade, and a couple of others
I thought releasing Steve Foley was a mistake
I thought we should have taken DJ instead of TJ, who didn't fit a 3/4

Remains to be seen - I wanted Reggie Bush instead of Mario Williams

Vinny
08-20-2006, 09:20 PM
I do a lot of speculating so I've have too many to list on both sides of the right/wrong meter really, but off the top of my head the biggies are buying too much into a screen pass TD and investing in the Hollings train, thinking Walker could come back to the leaner, hungry player that made him a pro bowler (apparently that Casserly contract *burp* curtailed that), buying into Carr's break out season last year, and thinking the Babin deal made some sort of sense.

Runner
08-20-2006, 09:23 PM
Wrong:

I thought Armstrong would become our possesion receiver last year and that he would fill that role as a receiver similar to the way other teams use a tight end.

Right:

I'm not in a pat myself on the back mood right now. Maybe tomorrow.

Smash_Mouth_Mario
08-20-2006, 09:26 PM
Some might be surprised about this. But I thought that Andre would be better.

But then realized that he's more a power-WR and *needs* a speedy/tall WR on the othe side to help him.

For example, Randy Moss would be great for Andre since they are two different type of WRs (yes, I know...RM would be great for any team). My point is that Andre can never be the lead WR. Moulds will be better this year and get more receptions than AJ, IMO.

Andre reminds me more of a hybird WR/TE. Like a slower Shannon Sharpe.

jdog
08-20-2006, 09:37 PM

But then realized that he's more a power-WR and *needs* a speedy/tall WR on the othe side to help him.

For example, Randy Moss would be great for Andre since they are two different type of WRs (yes, I know...RM would be great for any team). My point is that Andre can never be the lead WR. Moulds will be better this year and get more receptions than AJ, IMO.

A 4.3 40 is not exactly slow...

Smash_Mouth_Mario
08-20-2006, 09:47 PM
A 4.3 40 is not exactly slow...

What I mean is that he's not able to change direction quickly. He needs running room to get up to speed. What gets him his catches is his power and strength, size. His speed doesn't necessarily translate to quickness when the play breaks down.

Moulds will be better at that.

Oh, and I never said that Andre was "slow" I said he was a "slower Shannon Sharpe (i.e. not as quick)." That's nothing to sneeze at. He just reminds me of a WR/TE type player. Not a blazingly quick WR like Moss or Sterling. If there's any vidication there's this: Charles Rogers anyone? :D

Oh, and I was very wrong about Gaffney! I'd thought he be a lot better.

Note: All of this is not meant to imply that AJ is a bad player. No way!!! He's a keeper! I just thought he turn into a "Sharpe-like" caliber player.

nunusguy
08-20-2006, 09:55 PM
I was sure all along that the Texans would pass on Vince Young, and I was just as sure that they'd trade the top pick for multiple picks (perhaps over
multiple years) if they didn't use the pick on Reggie Bush.

NEROtheZERO
08-20-2006, 09:59 PM
I meant the story of Hollings as a Houston Texan.

Hopefully he excels in Chicago.

DocBar
08-20-2006, 10:05 PM
I was wrong about pretty much everything. I just hope I'm right for a change.

Fertguy
08-20-2006, 10:05 PM
I liked the Charlie Clemons pickup....
Liked Todd Wade....
All over the Babin deal
Actually picked up Tony Hollings in a keeper league b/c he was back of future.

=====
"got right"

Still hacked about trading down for TJ

... but he looks like he might prove me wrong on the one I want to say I got right.

Wolf
08-20-2006, 10:09 PM
I meant the story of Hollings as a Houston Texan.

Hopefully he excels in Chicago.

hollings plays for our rivals now last I looked 8 carries 30yards and a TD for the Colts.

NEROtheZERO
08-20-2006, 10:12 PM
hollings plays for our rivals now last I looked 8 carries 30yards and a TD for the Colts.
Well, I hope he excels in Indianapolis then, except when he plays us (of course.)

texasguy346
08-20-2006, 10:12 PM
I've got quite a few thats for sure, but some that stick out in my mind are:

Thinking Tony Boselli was going to be a great player for us.

I felt it was a mistake letting go of Moses last year and our return game would suffer.

I thought Faggins would never be more than a 4th string CB initially.

I thought we'd have a winning season last year.

I thought Stacey Mack was going to be our starting RB for a couple of seasons after we signed him.

I always thought Joppru would come back healthy each and everytime he got hurt.

I thought the Texans were surely going to trade down from the number one pick.

I thought Capers and Co. were going to lead us to the playoffs.

BradK10
08-20-2006, 11:02 PM
Count me in on the band of fans thinkin Hollings would be a steal.

One thing I did get right was Palmer's f'ing up of Carr and the offense. He was just awful, and I knew it. When they'd name the QB's he'd previously worked with like it was a good thing, I thought "those guys suck, and we're HAPPY we have this guy?"

The Pencil Neck
08-20-2006, 11:35 PM
What I'd like to know is what one (or more if you're so inclined) thing were you completely wrong about since the Texans started play in 2002? What player that didn't work out did you think was going to make a difference to this team or what player that you thought was useless turned out to be an asset? Name one thing about the Texans that you were positive would be one way and instead turned out completely different.

I'm going to answer this before I see anyone else's answers. I think it's going to be interesting.

1. Tony Boselli: I thought this was a GREAT move. I was totally psyched. I really thought that we were building our team from the lines out and that we were going to be successful because of that.

2. Dom Capers: Given Capers success in getting the Panthers to the playoffs so quickly, I really thought he was the perfect choice for coach. After winning the first game against the Cowgirls, I was absotively convinced. God. I was so wrong.

3. Domanick Davis: I was furious when they made this pick. I mean, come on, we needed offensive lineman and they draft a third down back? A guy that's not even going to be a starter?

4. 2005 Season: I was sure we were going to be making the playoffs. After going 7-9, I thought we were on our way. I talked a lot of smack to my Jets and Raider buddies and fortunately, they were Jet and Raider buddies and couldn't give me much crap by the end of the year. :)

5. Jonathon Wells: I thought he was going to be our full-time feature back and I expected great things from him.

6. Gafney & Bradford: I really thought these guys were going to step up and benefit from the growth of both Carr and AJ. I expected great things from them last year.

7. Last Game of 2004: I knew we were going to beat the Browns and finish 8-8. That Browns team had lost 9 in a row. How the hell did we lose that game?

8. Mario Williams: I had discounted the stories that we were talking to Mario as well as Reggie. I thought we were going to make the mistake of going for Bush. I wanted us to trade down and get D'Brick or AJ Hawk. I expected us to trade with the Jets and I expected them to take Bush to replace Martin. I didn't expect Mario to reach us at 4.

1. Aaron Glenn: I don't know if I was right or wrong about this but I was really let-down when they let him go. I wanted him to play the rest of his career in a Texans uni. And then for him to go to the Cowgirls?! blech

2. Pendry: If your problem is your offensive line and you fire your OC... you don't promote the guy coaching your offensive line into the OC spot. That just seems crazy to me. As soon as they made this move, I knew the season was over.

Hmmm... not much I'm right about there....

TexanSam
08-20-2006, 11:46 PM
I thought Stacey Mack was going to be our starting RB for a couple of seasons after we signed him.

I forgot about Stacey Mack. I also thought that he was going to be a very good back for us. Instead, after playing for the Texans he hasn't played in the NFL since. We ruined his career!

FirstTexansFan
08-20-2006, 11:51 PM
What everyone should have said :)

"I was wrong about everything, yet I still have an opinion I value more than coaches, management, or ownership, cause by god, eventually, I'm gonna guess something right" :)

The Pencil Neck
08-20-2006, 11:54 PM
What everyone should have said :)

"I was wrong about everything, yet I still have an opinion I value more than coaches, management, or ownership, cause by god, eventually, I'm gonna guess something right" :)

Eventually I have to get something right. The statistics are with me. 1000 monkeys and all that...

TK_Gamer
08-21-2006, 01:25 AM
I thought we would beef up our o-line in 2002
I thought we would beef up our o-line in 2003
I thought we would beef up our o-line in 2004
I hoped we would beef up our o-line in 2005
thought we would beef up our secondary in 2006.

I thought we would keep sharper till we had an allaround LB to replace him
I thought Dom Capers new what he was doing

yep, been pretty much fooled the whole time

on a positve note. I think Kubiak has a plan, I'm just not sure I wanna get excited yet, been there done that. I will feel better (or worse) after the Philly game. GO TEXANS!

phan1
08-21-2006, 02:33 AM
I thought Capers would never let our D stink up the place. I thought that we would always have a good D as long as he was our head coach.

cbnjwill
08-21-2006, 07:23 AM
RIGHTS....
clinton portis first pick second round not gaffney
dave ragone in 3rd round one of worst picks ever
capers no imagination or ability to make team better
gave up too much to move up and get babin
not taking dj and trading down for tj
giving greenwood big bucks to play lb
jerome mathis could be a steal
bush over mario
WRONGS....
p buc
tony hollings
dominick davis thought he would be a return guy only
thought capers 3-4 was gona get pressure on the qb

TEXANRED
08-21-2006, 08:08 AM
What I'd like to know is what one (or more if you're so inclined) thing were you completely wrong about since the Texans started play in 2002?

Where do I start?

Stacey Mack would be the next Bettis, No way the Colts sweep us 4 years straight, Capers knows how to put together a winner, Casserly knows what he is doing, Gaffney/Johnson? A feared duo! The O-line just needs time to Gel, Tony B will heal and be an impact, Lewis, not only can he return kicks, but he can be a vertical threat too! Young will be solid at RT for years to come. JJ will break one any day now, Wong will be awsome at the OLB position, Foley? Who? Who needs Posey, No way we pass on DJ if he is still on the board, Ok fine-TJ must be a better player, tripple threat-DD, Wells, Hollings, Matt Stevens isn't that bad, Well Glenn has lost a step, Pbuc is gonna be awsome, Forman has got to be the worst linebacker ever, Coleman is going to be an excellent safety, I like the 34, Walker is going to be a beast for our team, we make the playoffs in year 3, Division year 4, I would rather have Hall over Drob, no way do we pass on Bush..............

I know I am missing stuff but thats all I can think of.

SESupergenius
08-21-2006, 08:54 AM
I thought that Stacey Mack would be our starting RB. He started off well, but then got that toe injury or something. It was all downhill from there.

Bamaborn-Texasbred
08-21-2006, 10:18 AM
I was wrong about Gaffney, Boselli, Hollings, and Casserley.

I thought if nothing else Capers would always put an outstanding defense on the field. It hit its' peak the first season and never looked quite the same after. We were just about never healthy, athletic, or enthusiastic enough up front and at linebacker to play an effective 3-4.

I think I'm still going to proven right about David Carr being a legit NFL qb. I think I'm going to be right about Williams being a much better than average DE.
I think the Texans did the right thing taking Williams. To me he looks like he is right on schedule, and we look deep deep deep at running back.

I thought Casserley was a magician when he pulled off that trade of Henson to the Cowboys, but I came back down to earth after I saw what we ended up getting out of it - P.Buc.

I was pleasantly surprised by "Petey" Faggins. I thought Dunta would be good, but didn't think he would be as good as he is.

I couldn't believe how long it took for the Texans to win two in a row, and I also can't believe they still haven't won three in a row. In this league you have to get on a roll where you win three or four in a row at least 2 or three times.

RiotCommander
08-21-2006, 10:32 AM
I was wrong in which coach to bring in Kubiak has done a great job! I'm a defense guy so thats what I was wanting for HC.

Ummm I thought we should trade up to get S. Taylor. Yes he is a good player, but D.Rob is better, and Taylor has a lot of off the field issues.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Ok now what was I right about? We needed to fix our O-line and D-line. I know a great many of you supported that as well, but not everyone was onboard. Its appears to be getting fixed now so I'm happy.

Bringing back the 4-3, I don't know if I ever actually said it on this board, but I have thought for a long time that our people were much more suited to the 4-3 then the 3-4.

Double Barrel
08-21-2006, 10:35 AM
I was wrong about the 2005 season. I honestly thought we would have a winning record in the books by now. (I didn't predict playoffs, though.)

Dom Capers as a "good" head coach. Dude has one winning season in eight years. He'll probably be a DC for the rest of his career I'd imagine.

I thought Sharper would retire a Texan.

Unfortunately, the thing I remember being right about is the worst: our team coming out flat last year and looking like losers from the beginning. They never had any fire, and it was obvious.

titan hater
08-21-2006, 11:31 AM

He was cut last week I beleive...

Wharton
08-21-2006, 12:31 PM
The biggest things I was wrong about was:
1) I thought hiring Charlie Casserly was a good idea.
2) I thought hiring Capers was a good idea.

The biggest things I got right was:
1) While I had no idea we'd be 2-14 and look sooooo bad, I was not optomistic about last year because of the loss of Sharper and Glenn.
2) I was closest to predicting our first play this season. Predicted a 13 yard gain to Moulds on the skinny post. Got an 11 yard gain to Mould on a curl/stop route. :neener:

FILO_girl
08-21-2006, 12:58 PM
I was wrong part of the time, right part of the time....and wished I was wrong part of the time. :)

<Still mad about the Sharper cut, and Glenn to a lesser degree
<Thought PBuc would shape up here (and did!), still waiting for more out of him. I still am hoping that he has the potential I thought he had.
<Not totally sold on David Carr, not a hater at all but more of a doubter (show me something!)
<Totally bought into the 9-7 2005 season, man did I get toasted on that one.
<Never thought Joppru would play in an actual NFL game and would be cut this season
<Liked the TJ pick (and TJ), jury still out on him though
<Never been so disappointed in a sports team in my life (that is just the truth) But am a loyal fan regardless.
<Think the Jags, tacks and Cowpies suck. (never wrong there) :hunter:

I am sure there is more on both sides of the coin, but concentrating on the season at hand now. :redtowel:

Texans_Chick
08-21-2006, 02:40 PM
Generally, I am not wrong on too many things because usually I am not definitive on stuff. I'm not a so-and-so is a bust, or this guy is a can't miss kinda person. I like to wait and see about stuff. I know a lot about the team, but I also know my limitations--that there is a lot more stuff that is going on that I don't know.

The only thing I do know in life is that there is a lot more gray in it than there is black and white. And making definitive conclusions based on limited information bothers me. I guess it is a fairness thing to me.

Especially in such a team sport like football, where so much is dependant on your coach and scheme and your teammates and things that can't show up in stats.

So usually I have feelings things will go certain ways, but usually I'm not certain because there is just too many variables.

I guess my Sharper jersey was a mistake. I thought he would be here longer so I got his jersey back in the day. Saw a bunch of them on sale at TJMax recently. (They also had a ton of kids' sized jerseys of players still playing).

Never bought a Boselli jersey though.

Sco-tai
08-21-2006, 03:38 PM
The only thing I do know in life is that there is a lot more gray in it than there is black and white.

WELL PUT. I guess our default response to anything is to fine a pigeon hole for everything. Things being "gray" is uncomfortable to many, so it seems easier for people to have a definitive response to most things. I'm as guilty as the next.

But with that said...I can respond as to which picks I had particular excitement for, that was never realized. The first two players that come to mind are HOLLINGS and CARR.

Now...we all know how the HOLLINGS pick ended.

But I still have HIGH expectations for Carr. Did the 2005 season go very badly? Obviously. But I still think he is going to be a PRO-BOWL QB in the NFL. And so far, Kubes looks like he is taking away any/all excuses for failure.

The biggest "head-scratcher" is actually a tie. In 2005 we passed on an amazing LB (D.Johnson) for TJ. Granted, we "made-up" for it with the RYANS pick this year. But I mean...could you imagine if we had Derrick Johnson as LOLB and RYANS in the middle? I know, I know...shoulda/coulda/woulda.

The biggest SUPRISES was definitely D.DAVIS & C.C. BROWN. And from the looks of it, DANIELS and both SPENCER & WINSTON look like they could be huge picks this year (compared to where they were drafted).

Maybe Casserly will find some redemption after all.

chuckm
08-21-2006, 03:40 PM
Generally, I am not wrong on too many things because usually I am not definitive on stuff. I'm not a so-and-so is a bust, or this guy is a can't miss kinda person. I like to wait and see about stuff. I know a lot about the team, but I also know my limitations--that there is a lot more stuff that is going on that I don't know.

The only thing I do know in life is that there is a lot more gray in it than there is black and white. And making definitive conclusions based on limited information bothers me. I guess it is a fairness thing to me.

Especially in such a team sport like football, where so much is dependant on your coach and scheme and your teammates and things that can't show up in stats.

So usually I have feelings things will go certain ways, but usually I'm not certain because there is just too many variables.

I guess my Sharper jersey was a mistake. I thought he would be here longer so I got his jersey back in the day. Saw a bunch of them on sale at TJMax recently. (They also had a ton of kids' sized jerseys of players still playing).

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Texans_Chick again.

gjmac2
08-21-2006, 03:54 PM

Which TJ MAxx? I would like to get some extra Texans Apparel.

Hervoyel
08-21-2006, 04:25 PM
...Never bought a Boselli jersey though.

I'll send you mine if you feel like you missed out on an important piece of Texans history. I bought mine right before the second camp when he retired. I insisted on it being a Boselli jersey because I wanted to make a statement. Call it a leap of faith kind of gesture on my part. I was that sure that Tony would be playing in 2003.

I guess my statement was "don't let Hervoyel pick your jersey".

Vambo, the Marble Eye
08-21-2006, 05:54 PM
I completely thought that Mathis would develop into our #2 receiver
I believed Robinson + Buchannon would be the best CB duo in the NFL
I thought Joppru would come back every year
I thought we were going to sign Orlando Pace
I thought we were going to the playoffs last year

You must live at my house! (or at least a close neighbor hearing the shouting at the TV during away games!) With the exception of Mathis, which I didn't think he would make the team....

a) P-Buch looked like an idiot last year.
b) I LOST MY MIND when the headlines said, "Joppru goes down" in training camp.
c) At one point, I thought we DID sign Pace and the Texans were waiting for a good time to make the announcement.
d) I lost $100 bucks against a Poker buddy for a Texans playoff bet... I lost $200 to the same guy for a winning season, and then I lost $100 on the last game. (At this point I started drinking heavily ... since it was the only thing I could afford.)

Now I am thinking that our Defense is going to be a sleeper in Fantasy Football! (Wanna bet?)

Hookem Horns
08-21-2006, 06:39 PM
I was wrong about Capers and Carr. I thought Capers was a real good coach due to what he did in Carolina (Of course I wasn't aware of what happened there at the end of his tenure).

I thought Carr would be a real gamer, another Brett Favre, especially after the Dallas 19-10. Little did I know he would turn out to be like another QB from the Gulf region, Bubby Brister.

BigDTexansFan
08-21-2006, 06:40 PM
Playoffs within a couple of years (OK so i'm an optimist)

Beleiving Texans wiould come out of nosedive in 2005

BigDTexansFan
08-21-2006, 06:42 PM
WRONG:crying:

Playoffs within a couple of years (OK so i'm an optimist)

Believing Texans would come out of nosedive in 2005

RIGHT:homer:

Texans Fans are a class group who support their team

Beating Dallas 1st game (Let's do it AGAIN)

Texans_Chick
08-21-2006, 07:08 PM
Which TJ MAxx? I would like to get some extra Texans Apparel.

They only had Sharper jerseys in adult sizes. They had kids jerseys of different players.

But, in case you are still interested, they were at the TJ at Memorial between Wilcrest and the Beltway.

Scooter
08-22-2006, 12:24 AM
well, i was feeling pretty good about myself until someone had to mention todd wade. i thought he'd be good for us but i missed that badly. that being said, almost everybody that played for capers looked bad.

veazeyt
08-22-2006, 01:19 AM
I thought that the two season openers in the first two seasons meant that The Texans and coaching staff were on the way to success quicker than what was expected. Which further validated previous thoughts listed in post.

I also thought that Morency might lack in break away speed, but obviously he is looking pretty sweet.

I was right about Reggie Bush, even early on, I thought DD was the answer even if he had injury bug. Not so convinced anymore that DD will ever get it altogether and with this staff. On the Bush thing, I remember when the media-hype Bush sweepstakes was in full force, I tended to thinking but we already have a RB in DD.

michaelm
08-22-2006, 05:25 AM
I bought into the idea that our OLine was going to be the strength of our entire team in the first year.

beerlover
08-22-2006, 12:22 PM
from an organizational front I hated Palmers playcalling and thought the Texans would be better off without him. wrong :brickwall

from a players standpoint it has to be Seth Wand, I thought he would develop into the Texans starting LT but despite intelligence and size he lacks the strength and compeititive desire to excell as the LT :cowboy1:

draft wise, other than Andre Johnson I've been wrong every single year with who the Texans are gonna take with their 1st pick :shoot:

Battle Red Flash
08-22-2006, 01:54 PM
I was wrong about our fans. I thought they would be smart enough not to make judgements based on pre-season.
I've watched football since 1969, and there is one truth. Pre-Season means nothing.
I was right that Casserly messed up the first draft by passing on David Givens and Eric Heitman.
I was right that we gave up WAY too much for Babin. I knew that the minute they made the deal. Who didn't? Casserly.
I was wrong believing that Boselli would come back. Hoping?

HeartofHouston
08-22-2006, 02:23 PM
I thought we we gonna pick up Derrick Johnson.

I thought the Buchannon Trade would be a great idea.

I thought that we'd keep Jamie Sharper

I thought that we'd hire Al Saunders or Mike Singletary

I thought that we were gonna draft Bush this year

BlueThunder
08-22-2006, 02:43 PM
NOTHING!

:whip: 11 and 5 No mercy

humbleone
08-22-2006, 03:35 PM
I was wrong that moving Marcus Coleman to safety was a good idea that would extend his career. One of the big disappointments in the defense last year was the play of Coleman.

And the jury is still out on my being wrong about the TJ pick last year...if Kubco can get him to start in our 4/3 and Winston pans out over the next 2-3years this pick will actually turn out just fine for us.
:cool:

Wolf
09-02-2006, 02:13 PM
well I was wrong about DD playing this season and Wand being cut (thought he'd be maybe 2nd string but not cut)

texasguy346
09-02-2006, 02:18 PM
well I was wrong about DD playing this season and Wand being cut (thought he'd be maybe 2nd string but not cut)

Put me down for that one as well. I felt that DD would be playing by the 3rd or 4th week of the season up until Cloak let us know the seriousness of DD's knee problems. Thanks for that. I really didn't expect Wand to be cut if anyone I thought that Salaam would be cut before Seth. Well it's not the first time I've been wrong & certainly won't be the last.

Wolf
09-17-2006, 05:33 PM
I was wrong about our defense.

67 points in 2 games
around 1000 yards given up also..

Tulip
09-17-2006, 05:35 PM
I was wrong when I predicted that Morency would rush for more yards for the Texans this season than Lundy.

the wonger need food
09-17-2006, 05:40 PM
I was wrong thinking that a coaching staff could turn this team around. They're actually worse now.

TFL
09-17-2006, 05:43 PM
I was wrong thinking that a coaching staff could turn this team around. They're actually worse now.

Give them a little bit it will not happen this season, but give it 1 year or 2 and you will see improvement It is hard for any coaching staff to keep there teams winning just imaging how hard it is to turn a losing team into a decent or good team.

NEROtheZERO
09-17-2006, 05:59 PM
You honestly believe this is a 1 win team?

We are going to start off rough, we knew that the minute we saw the schedule. You will be singing praises in the midst of our 4 game winning streak in the latter part of the season.

Wolf
09-17-2006, 06:32 PM
wrong? too early to say i'm wrong about anything. at least that's what carr and mario apologists would have to believe. four years isn't long enough to evaluate someone i guess.

please don't cite stats from todays game--carr padded stats in trash time. mario? oh, did he even have any stats to cite?

too early or won't admit?

Wolf
12-17-2006, 04:42 PM
I was wrong about believing in the Texan's coaches and GM before this year. I feel we should have went with the trenches in the draft

Jimpster
12-17-2006, 05:38 PM
I was wrong thinking an Aggie would make a decent decision with the number one draft pick.

Cruuuuuuuz
12-17-2006, 06:05 PM
I was wrong in thinking HOUSTON could have a winning football team and could ever win the superbowl in my lifetime. I blame the city. I blame the fans. Screw it..DALLAS is better at football. I finally admit it.
We still got the Astros and Rockets....and the Mavs are lookin pretty good. DAMMIT!

threetoedpete
12-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Well all of my, wrongs, have already been covered. I really thought Charlie Casselry was a top notch tallent man. How one man could miss on so many guys is amazing to me. What we'll never know for sure is how much of the tallent bo-bos were on which guy. Inquiring minds would really like to know.

See from the wagon hopper up above, there's going to be, yet again in Houston, a clear line between fans of this team and fare weather fans. A lot of us have seen it befor. Easy to hop on the train when they're winning. One thing I wasn't wrong about is the record the last two years. Look it up if you wish. Untill they address one of the two lines, it's pretty much going to be the same deal next year. I survived two 1-13's befor...this is nothing. Believe me. With this group there is hope. I'm not giving up.
One season of rebuilding was obviously not enough. What was exposed was our overall lack of depth. Four years of cluster fornication on draft picks and personel has put us here. This staff has been here less than a year. Been a wait. But I feel we're at the end of the begining. I believe in the coaches & Rick Smith. After the last draft how can you not ? I believe this because the fondation is there. All we need is a couple of peices to make a run. I know that sounds absurd after todays game. But there aren't many teams that can absorb the amount of injuries we've had this year and not lay an egg. The o-line and defense are really close. Hopefully, the end of the road will be worth it. One thing about it the next off season is going to be very interesting.

Heywood
12-17-2006, 07:02 PM
i've been right about so many things, but i suppose i was wrong to trust CC on babin- i figured they really saw something and babin's combine numbers at least suggested he had the physical ability to back it up.

Hervoyel
12-17-2006, 07:03 PM
I'm also going to add that I was wrong when I thought this thread was dead the first time.

It's undead. It's come back from the grave.

austintexanite
12-17-2006, 07:15 PM
Boselli and Buc killed me. Everyone knows how important the LT position is and I believed that we were set for the next five years with him, but obviously he never recovered. P.Buc just never showed up, we gave a 2nd and 3rd round pick for him and I truly believe that set us up for failure. I was never a fan of Capers and still don't understand why we got Babin and Travis Johnson...they haven't shown anything.

ensign_lee
12-17-2006, 08:03 PM
Releasing Sharper and Glenn was a good idea? Yeah...Never bought into that. Never have; never will. Thanks a lot Casserly.

Wolf
12-26-2007, 09:51 PM
I'm also going to add that I was wrong when I thought this thread was dead the first time.

spooky huh?

I was wrong about Carr even going to Carolina

I was wrong about our Defense coordinator.. I thought we would be more consistant even when Bush came on board.(some of the coverage things we do is mindboggling)

I was wrong about Jerome Mathis.. I thought he could stay healthy
Michael Bouleware was hoping he'd start in the secondary but not much going except for special teams

Jacoby Jones looked good in preseason, but injuries and being a rookie slowed him down (haven't seen him in a while either)

Andre Davis... better than I expect
Fred Bennett..when D-rob went down, I was in a numb state but Bennett is doing good for a rookie and should only get Better, Will Demps has been better than expected,

Mr PC
12-27-2007, 12:55 AM
I was wrong about Kevin Walter. At the start of this season I was highly skeptical of him and did not expect he would perform nearly as well as he has. Good job Kevin, thank you for proving me wrong.

Specnatz
12-27-2007, 01:27 AM
I read a few post but mine were.........

I thought that Pendry on O and capers on D was the best idea for success, but it seems the left and anted to play with barbies while the right wanted to put square pegs in round holes.

Boselli, geez i thought he would be out for a year and then be a moster.

Ahman Green, geez i know it is an injury but I thought he would get us 1100 yards with others amounting to the other.

YKW with the one year under Kubiak.

PBuc trade, I thought the staff could fix him.

This year I really thought 9-7 was very easily obtained.

beerlover
12-27-2007, 01:43 AM
missed every 1st rd. pick by the Texans (the babin deal almost killed me) until Rick Smith came on board & finally got one right with Amobi Okoye :)

TexanSam
12-27-2007, 01:45 AM
I thought David Carr was not a bad QB until last season.

I thought we should take Reggie Bush

I thought Ahman Green was going to rush for 1300 yards

I thought Jeb Putzier would be a good tight end...but thankfully we have Daniels

I didn't realize how old this thread was...and just saw that I posted in page 2 already

Double Barrel
12-27-2007, 10:43 AM
I was wrong....I thought we'd have at least one winning season in our first six. :gun:

MojoMan
12-27-2007, 10:48 AM
I thought Seth Wand was going to be our answer at Left Tackle.

Silver Oak
12-27-2007, 11:07 AM
easily for me it was Carr.

I kept thinking he was showing enough glimpses of potential to keep him. As it turns out, he was the bulk of the problem, but the line is still not strong enough to either run block or pass protect very well.

Carr just added fuel to a bad fire with his play.

Hooston Texan
12-27-2007, 11:20 AM
After we acquired Schaub, I made two predictions: (1) that nobody would be talking about us having a horrible OL anymore and (2) that Matt would start a playoff game before Vince Young does.

Well, I can claim to be a little right about #1 in that our sacks allowed declined precipitously, but that doesn't mean we have a good OL. Lots of work still to do there. Still, I was one smiling dude during those early weeks when every numskull media guy was writing lines like "Gee, maybe it WAS David Carr's fault after all".

And unless the Colts' backups play well on Sunday, I'll probably be wrong about #2. But I guess part of that goes back to #1--if their DL doesn't dominate our OL, we are the ones standing at 9-6 going into the last game of the year.

And while the jury is still out, it appears at this point that I was wrong about wanting to draft D'Brickashaw Ferguson with the first pick.

Texan_Bill
12-27-2007, 11:22 AM
a) Carr

b) Buying a #55 Jamie Sharper authentic jersey

c) Anthony Weaver

d) Jabar Gaffney x 2 (twice: 1st I thought he was a good pick, second I thought he wouldn't get a sniff in the NFL after we let him go). :gun: on both counts.

e) Dave Ragone. I thought he would develop into a quality back-up ala Sage

f) Jonathan Wells

g) Chad Stanley... I was told so many times that he 'was God', that I started to beleive it.

h) That you can actually win a game with less than 50 yards total offense

i) That you can actually win a game with negative 5 or (-5) net yards passing

j) The roof policy

k) Thinking that they would change the song during player introductions once Bob McNair heard the lyrics or was told what 'Down with the Sickness' is all about.

j) I think I had predicted a 9-7 record this year (I will have to go back and look).

k) That we would have had one winning season by now....

and last, but most crucial:

j) Waiting to dump my G/F BEFORE buying my season tickets. Lost out on better seats.:gun:

kiwitexansfan
12-27-2007, 02:54 PM
I was utterly completely terribly wrong about Carr.

I was wrong about P-Buc... and Fletcher.....

TexanSam
12-27-2007, 02:58 PM
Oh, I was wrong about the dumb Texans fight song we play now during the game. When I heard we were getting a new Texans song, I thought it would be something cool. Then I listened to the cheesy, middle school fight song that we ended up getting.

ATX
12-27-2007, 03:01 PM
I once said "David Carr is going to be awesome". This was the first season, but damn I couldn't have been more wrong. :gun:

adam
12-27-2007, 03:15 PM
I thought Carr had potential. I also thought that Charlie Casserly would be all right.

Lucky
12-27-2007, 03:34 PM
I'm having a difficult time coming up with something I got right. :hmmm:

Oh yeah, Liberty White Day! I knew that would be a good idea!

http://www.texansbullpen.com/07photogallery/Season/2007-09-09-Chiefs-Texans/Cheerleaders/DSC_0483.JPG

Thorn
12-27-2007, 06:16 PM
I thought Carr, Capers, Bosseli, and Hollings (among other now notable mistakes) were going to take us to the promised land. Big time wrong about those folks.

I was right when I thought Babin, Mathis and D. Davis would never make it long term.

Even though I wanted Vince Young (wrong there) Iíve always supported Mario because I felt he would be a monster someday (right there).

As to the subject of Schaub, Iíve got a couple of red Reps before the season started because of my constant trashing of that deal. Since then Iíve gone from admitting I was wrong to now being more neutral on the matter. I used to harp on the fact that if we had gotten O linemen in the draft instead of Schaub and just played Sage for a year weíd be better off in the long run (and drafting another QB for the future). To tell you the truth, I canít say if Iím wrong or right about trashing the Schaub deal now until we see what he does next year. Iím hoping his injury prone 1st season with us was an aberration and not ours and his future.

Wolf
03-12-2008, 04:18 PM
spooky huh?

I was wrong about Carr even going to Carolina

I was wrong about our Defense coordinator.. I thought we would be more consistant even when Bush came on board.(some of the coverage things we do is mindboggling)

I was wrong about Jerome Mathis.. I thought he could stay healthy
Michael Bouleware was hoping he'd start in the secondary but not much going except for special teams

Jacoby Jones looked good in preseason, but injuries and being a rookie slowed him down (haven't seen him in a while either)

Andre Davis... better than I expect
Fred Bennett..when D-rob went down, I was in a numb state but Bennett is doing good for a rookie and should only get Better, Will Demps has been better than expected,

add
I am still wrong about carr and now scratching my head about the Giants signing him.

Welcome back Herv.. it is the offseason :whip:

GlassHalfFull
03-12-2008, 04:25 PM
I was wrong about wanting the Carr thread locked down. The signing by the Giants may provide hours of reading entertainment.

Hervoyel
03-12-2008, 04:36 PM

I learned the first time this thread died to never assume a thread is gone so I'm not surprised to see this one come back this time.

swtbound07
03-12-2008, 04:54 PM
i was wrong in that thread where i said everyone was wrong about everything.

TEXANRED
03-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Where do I start?

Stacey Mack would be the next Bettis, No way the Colts sweep us 4 years straight, Capers knows how to put together a winner, Casserly knows what he is doing, Gaffney/Johnson? A feared duo! The O-line just needs time to Gel, Tony B will heal and be an impact, Lewis, not only can he return kicks, but he can be a vertical threat too! Young will be solid at RT for years to come. JJ will break one any day now, Wong will be awsome at the OLB position, Foley? Who? Who needs Posey, No way we pass on DJ if he is still on the board, Ok fine-TJ must be a better player, tripple threat-DD, Wells, Hollings, Matt Stevens isn't that bad, Well Glenn has lost a step, Pbuc is gonna be awsome, Forman has got to be the worst linebacker ever, Coleman is going to be an excellent safety, I like the 34, Walker is going to be a beast for our team, we make the playoffs in year 3, Division year 4, I would rather have Hall over Drob, no way do we pass on Bush..............

I know I am missing stuff but thats all I can think of.
And to continue.....

Green?! What a deal! We will win the division now!

Dayne? Resign Dayne? No way that happens

Watch out league, here comes Taylor/Lundy

Ha Ha, the Titans don't have an offense and there defense sucks, we are so going to kill them this year

No way do the Colts come into our house and beat us ever again

ahhhh another year of sweeping the Jags

this is a fluff schedule, we win 11 games with our eyes closed

Schaub for MVP!

Sage who?

DRob is going to make the pro bowl this year

Cleveland sucks (which I still think they do)

Richard Smith will turn it around this year

Faggins is going to be a solid #2

The Texans are going to have the most feared DLine in all of football

Thorn
03-12-2008, 05:18 PM
The Texans are going to have the most feared DLine in all of football

I'd give this one a little more time before claiming it was incorrect. :d:

Yankee_In_TX
03-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Andre Johnson's return in late 2007 having an effect on the team beyond just catching the ball.

RipTraxx
03-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Richard (not rick) Smith is a good D Coord.......ha!

Dallas_Texan
03-12-2008, 06:36 PM
I thought we had Orlando Pace in the bag
I thought we should draft D'Brick!!! seriously
I wanted Aaron Rouse in the 4th over Bennett :gun:
I thought we would never sign Jaqcues Reeves in a million year!!

ObsiWan
03-12-2008, 09:45 PM
I thought there was no way on God's Green Earth that David Carr would ever get signed up by another NFL team.

I thought that Ahman Green would rejuvenate our running attack.

I thought Sage would be given a fair & square shot to win the starters job.

Vinnie
03-13-2008, 01:28 PM
Thinking it was the o-line's fault Carr got sacked so much
Thinking we should have drafted Vince
Defending Capers hair that it was really his and not a piece
Thinking it's faster to walk up the ramps to my seat than waiting on the escalator
Looking forward to October for tailgating because it would be so much cooler (dead, dead wrong...at least in '07)

santo
03-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Thinking the Texans screwed up big time by not taking Vince or Reggie with the first pick.

Carr being a Pro-bowl quarterback here in Houston after Kubiak worked with him.

Andre Johnson-tought he didn't matter much in the offense until I saw the big difference with him out of games and then seeing the first game when he came back from the injury.:thisbig:

ATXtexanfan
03-13-2008, 07:14 PM
mario freakin williams, thought he crippled the franchise

ObsiWan
03-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Thinking it's faster to walk up the ramps to my seat than waiting on the escalator
Looking forward to October for tailgating because it would be so much cooler (dead, dead wrong...at least in '07)

LOL
dude...

ObsiWan
03-13-2008, 07:31 PM
And to continue.....

DRob is going to make the pro bowl this year

If not for the injury, I'm thinking you wouldda been right on that one.

jerek
03-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Hmm ... off the top of my head ...

I thought David Carr could make it as a franchise QB. Come to find out, he really is a giant turd.

I thought Ahman Green would give us two good years.

I thought Mathis would be the cornerstone of our special teams for years to come.

I thought we would *never* get rid of Chad Stanley, despite years of mediocre play.

I'm sure there are many more foibles I've committed through the years I've been here ...

oh yeah:

I was wrong about Reggie Bush too--he's even worse than I said he was going to be. :)

Thorn
03-14-2008, 05:54 PM
I was wrong about Reggie Bush too--he's even worse than I said he was going to be. :)

LOL. Good one. I love going around to the folks at work now, that at the time were besides themselves with horror at us skipping on him, that all now realize he will never amount to anything in the NFL other than just being an average player. I was right about him too. Pretty damn wrong about VY though.

AnthonyE
03-14-2008, 06:26 PM

LOL True.

Brando
03-14-2008, 07:56 PM
i was wrong in that thread where i said everyone was wrong about everything.

I remember and I am glad you were wrong.

Thorn
03-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Texans: What were you wrong about?

I was wrong in thinging I would ever be sober on "Friday nights. It asint happening.

adam
03-16-2008, 09:04 PM
1) David Carr will be a solid quarterback.
2) Schaub will be awesome!

Those are big two.

Malloy
03-17-2008, 04:42 AM
I wasn't wrong, the Texans were!

Wolf
09-14-2009, 06:14 PM
back from the depths of hades this thread is..
(sorry Herv)

I was wrong that this team knows how to play consistent and play with fire (overall)

every time this team gets talked about in the same sentence with playoffs.. we lay a freaking goose egg

BigBull17
09-14-2009, 06:22 PM
That we would'nt have a game like this for a while. The team was on an upturn. Now, my stomach is on an upchuck...

TEXANS84
09-14-2009, 06:51 PM
I thought Antwan Peek was our long term gem at a raw pass rusher.

Marcus
09-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Do you mean to tell me that nobody is going to nut up and admit they were wrong about Mario Williams?

Double Barrel
09-14-2009, 08:34 PM
I guess I'll do my annual 'I was wrong about...' routine, and it's not changed much. I was wrong about thinking that 2009 would/could be different than all the rest. Perhaps it can still be different with 15 games to go, but from today's perspective after that craptastic performance yesterday, I don't see it happening.

Second Honeymoon
09-14-2009, 08:45 PM
I have been wrong about nothing except:

1. I honestly thought Andre Johnson may not be right choice at #3 overall for a 2nd year team.
2. I thought Ahman Green was going to be a good player for us.
3. I thought Kyle Shanahan would fail as such a young OC.
4. I thought Vince Young was the right pick for us in 2005...and I still do. Hasn't worked for Titans but I think he could have done well here.

I know its crazy to think that way about Young but I think he could have done well here and I would have liked to have those 2 2nd Round picks and all the dead money we spent on giving Carr the maximum extension. Let's face it, Mario has been a good player for us but he hasn't made our defense anything special...I don't blame Mario, I blame our coaching and our front office, but I am just being honest that he hasn't turned us into a winner and I think VY may have been able to do that with all the momentum and fanfare he had. There was no way in hell an Aggie was going to draft VY though....

I am not saying I am right but I think VY could have succeeded here as opposed to his post-rookie struggles in Tennessee. Just being honest.

Double Barrel
09-14-2009, 08:50 PM
lol at saying you were right about VY in a "What were you wrong about?" thread. No way in h, e, doublehockysticks does any FO exec or talking head expert agree with you there. Mario would start for any of the 32 teams. VY is lucky he makes so much or he'd be a 3rd stringer right now.

Not doggin' ya', SH, but I've got to pull that particular chain. :shades:

Second Honeymoon
09-14-2009, 09:03 PM
lol at saying you were right about VY in a "What were you wrong about?" thread. No way in h, e, doublehockysticks does any FO exec or talking head expert agree with you there. Mario would start for any of the 32 teams. VY is lucky he makes so much or he'd be a 3rd stringer right now.

Not doggin' ya', SH, but I've got to pull that particular chain. :shades:

i guess i was saying that it looks like i was wrong.....but i think things may have gone differently

but yeah Mario 100% looks like the better choice..thus I was wrong

Goatcheese
09-14-2009, 09:30 PM
Where do you even start?

I thought the first half of 2004 was Carr's breakout
I thought Babin was going to be a great player(and I still don't know why he didn't work out. He was an amazing athlete with incredible college production)
I thought D-Rob was a team first guy
I thought Seth Wand and Todd Wade were going to be our giant 6'7 bookends

On the bright side..

In 2006 when Reggie fever had swept the world I was all about D'brickawall and Super Mario

BigBull17
09-15-2009, 10:55 AM
I have been wrong about nothing except:

1. I honestly thought Andre Johnson may not be right choice at #3 overall for a 2nd year team.
2. I thought Ahman Green was going to be a good player for us.
3. I thought Kyle Shanahan would fail as such a young OC.
4. I thought Vince Young was the right pick for us in 2005...and I still do. Hasn't worked for Titans but I think he could have done well here.
I know its crazy to think that way about Young but I think he could have done well here and I would have liked to have those 2 2nd Round picks and all the dead money we spent on giving Carr the maximum extension. Let's face it, Mario has been a good player for us but he hasn't made our defense anything special...I don't blame Mario, I blame our coaching and our front office, but I am just being honest that he hasn't turned us into a winner and I think VY may have been able to do that with all the momentum and fanfare he had. There was no way in hell an Aggie was going to draft VY though....

I am not saying I am right but I think VY could have succeeded here as opposed to his post-rookie struggles in Tennessee. Just being honest.

He would have been BETTER here,but not a better pickthan Mario. No way, no how.

steelbtexan
09-15-2009, 10:58 AM
I was wrog about Mario. I wanted them to take Bush.

I thought Smithiak were well prepared Leaders.

Double Barrel
09-15-2009, 11:01 AM
i guess i was saying that it looks like i was wrong.....but i think things may have gone differently

but yeah Mario 100% looks like the better choice..thus I was wrong

No prob, man. I was just razzin' you. I think the jury is still out on VY...but, then again, I could be wrong about that! :shades:

Blake
09-15-2009, 11:04 AM
I thought Reggie would light the NFL on Fire.
I thought Vince Young would be the leaders of all leaders.
For the first time I thought the Texans were playoff bound in 2009.

And the biggest one of all. I thought the Texans ORG could eventually get things right. From staff, to player personell, to scheme. We still dont have a winning season.

Texan_Bill
09-15-2009, 11:08 AM
I'm pretty sure that I haven't gotten anything right... yet!!

beerlover
09-15-2009, 11:45 AM
The 3-4 defense.

Spent four years adapting & fitting players into that scheme then pulled the plug when Capers left. Injury's killed careers of Gary Walker & Seth Payne. Underachieving Robaire Smith & 1st rd. pick Travis Johnson were busts. The Question then was is it the scheme or the Texans lack of players to run it? Clearly it was not the scheme. The Texans have better players now & yet the defense is no better in the 4-3.

Now I'm tired of watching the Texans get beat up playing these 3-4 teams & wish the Texans had never changed schemes. Bring back the 3-4 please!

LDE - Antonio Smith, Amobi Okoye, Jesse Nading
NT - Deljuan Robinson, Frank Okam, Shaun Cody
RDE - Mario Williams, Tim Bulman, Tim Jamison

LOLB - Brian Cushing, Chaun Thompson
LILB - DeMeco Ryans, Kevin Bentley
RILB - Zach Diles, Buster Davis
ROLB - Connor Barwin, Xavier Adibi

LCB - Fred Bennet, Jacques Reeves, Glover Quinn
SS - Dominique Barber, John Busing
FS - Eugene Wilson, Nick Ferguson
RCB - Dunta Robinson, Brice McCain, Antwain Molden

also add CC Brown looks pretty good in a Giants uniform & is a better safety than anyone on this roster-

swtbound07
09-15-2009, 12:08 PM
was clearly wrong about the weight not affecting slaton.

gtexan02
09-15-2009, 12:10 PM
was clearly wrong about the weight not affecting slaton.

After one game? Sometimes good players get shut down

Goldensilence
09-15-2009, 12:11 PM
I was terribly wrong about the P. Buch trade. I thought he had the speed to make an impact in the secondary and on punt returns.

I was wrong about David Carr taking steps forward.

swtbound07
09-25-2009, 03:03 PM
anybody have a different opinion of barwin after the first 2 games of real football?

bigbrewster2000
09-25-2009, 03:17 PM
anybody have a different opinion of barwin after the first 2 games of real football?

No, because he's a rookie and he has only played 2 games

Marcus
09-25-2009, 03:29 PM

What was your opinion of Mario during his rookie season? Just curious.

dalemurphy
09-25-2009, 03:46 PM

I'm still very excited about him. But, yeah, my enthusiasm had me thinking he would be an immediate impact.

Hervoyel
09-25-2009, 04:44 PM
"Night of the Living Dead-Thread"

I see this thread and think "I did a thread like that a long time.... Hey! That's my thread! It's back from BEYOND THE GRAVE!"

I was wrong about Steve Slaton. He's not the answer... until he is. I think he's going to tear up the Jaguars and get on track. I also think there will be a run-defense sighting at Reliant Stadium this weekend and it will be wearing Battle Red.

Goldensilence
09-25-2009, 09:16 PM

Not really. Has had a total of one tackle in 2 games and has generally looked out of place.

barrett
09-25-2009, 09:20 PM
Once he learns a spin move I think you'll feel differently.

Dan B.
09-25-2009, 10:40 PM
So far this year it looks like I was wrong about Cushing (I thought he was a bad pick) and our front 7 on D (which I had high hopes for). I was wrong to prefer Vince, and I'm not going to say I think he would have worked here either.

I may eventually be proven wrong about Schaub, but I'm sticking by him. I think he's a quality QB.

dalemurphy
09-25-2009, 11:00 PM
Well, my venom for Casey Studdard may prove to be a little overdone. Saying he isn't as bad as I've said he is, really isn't going out on much of a limb. I guess I just don't like short, fat, unathletic white guys with no explosion... I suppose I'm self-loathing that way.

GNTLEWOLF
09-25-2009, 11:12 PM
Well, my venom for Casey Studdard may prove to be a little overdone. Saying he isn't as bad as I've said he is, really isn't going out on much of a limb. I guess I just don't like short, fat, unathletic white guys with no explosion... I suppose I'm self-loathing that way.
If you want explosion...eat more beans:headhurts:

swyyyguy
09-25-2009, 11:13 PM
i thought we should have drafted reggie bush. i'm so glad we didn't.

GNTLEWOLF
09-25-2009, 11:15 PM
I haven't been right about anything since this team started.

1) I thought Carr was not all that bad and we just needed a good O-line
2) I thought Capers was a Good Coach.
3) I thought Mario was going to be a bust.
4) I thought Kubiak was going to be a good HC
5) I believed that the Okoye pick was a good one.

ObsiWan
09-26-2009, 12:08 AM
No, because he's a rookie and he has only played 2 games
agreed. he's got time to mature with the other youngsters we're having to play on defense. Hopefully, their mistakes won't cost us much more than they already have.

Wolf
01-03-2010, 06:47 PM
I was wrong . Schaub made it through the season , even injured, but he played hurt and started

Hervoyel
01-03-2010, 06:50 PM
I was wrong . Schaub made it through the season , even injured, but he played hurt and started

I'm right there with you. I will now put his name on my #8 jersey with the CARR name removed. He's earned it.... finally.

Silver Oak
01-08-2010, 09:03 AM
I was terribly wrong about anyone in the AFC South winning more than 12 games. I sure thought there would have been someone who knocked off Indy at their own home.

I hate Peyton Manning.

BigBull17
01-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Thought that Cushing was a HORRIBLE pick...I'm an *****, I know.

HuttoKarl
01-08-2010, 09:37 AM
I thought:

1. Travis Johnson could produce in a positive manner for us on draft day.

2. Kasey Studdard would be a really good OG for us because of his mean streak (jury could still be out on this one, but not looking good so far).

3. We could plug and play any RB a la Denver (Samkon, Wali, etc...)

4. I wanted Mario Williams before the Texans announced the deal. :clap::clap::clap:

5. I started the Matt Schaub Man-Love Club right after we signed him....got off to a slow start and is looking better now.

6. Saw our schedule at the beginning of preseason and predicted 8-1 record before the bye with the loss coming against the Colts. I had the Colts loss part right.

Goatcheese
01-08-2010, 09:39 AM
I thought we had a running game. :rake:

eriadoc
01-08-2010, 11:16 AM

Since this is a resurrected thread (2006), it's kind of funny to go back and see something so wrong in this thread. I just thought this was a funny post to show up in a "I was wrong about XYZ, but now I know better" kind of thread.

D-Frank
01-08-2010, 02:06 PM
I was wrong about cushing, i thought he wouldnt be NEAR as good as he has. I predicted he would struggle in pass pro against GOOD tight ends, and he has, but i will give him a rookie pass. I didnt think Schuab could stay healthy for 16 games, he did.

barrett
01-11-2010, 07:04 PM
I thought we had a running game. :rake:

me too. It never even crossed my mind. I know many of you were very concerned about them not getting a back in the draft. I wasn't at all. I had so much confidence in the O line to run block I felt like the classic plug n' play RB system would be sufficient behind Slaton. I had no idea that the O line would struggle so much in their 2nd year in a pure Gibbs system. I was concerned about them in pass protection as late as week 8 and apparently I was wrong there too.

Wolf
12-11-2011, 03:35 PM
I actually didn't think we'd score 20 points today. with all the injuries ... I never thought we'd beat atlanta and cincy

Playoffs
12-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Posted 08-30-2011
Texans v. Lions in the Super Bowl!

I was wrong about the Lions. :D

gtexan02
12-11-2011, 04:11 PM
TJ Yates. After seeing him in preseason, I was ready to throw in the towel this year. Thank you for proving me wrong!

Kubiak for coach of the year!
TJ - All he does is win, baby!

spurstexanstros
12-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Conner Barwin......sort of he was wrong for a 4-3 but perfect under wade's 3-4

AnthonyE
12-11-2011, 06:02 PM
Excellent thread ressurrection.

For me, I was wrong about the toughness of the team. Honestly, I never felt the team was physically soft. But the mental toughness of this team was definitely doubted by many, myself included, in years past and leading up to this year.

Hervoyel
12-11-2011, 06:02 PM
"Night of the Living Dead-Thread"

I see this thread and think "I did a thread like that a long time.... Hey! That's my thread! It's back from BEYOND THE GRAVE!"

I was wrong about Steve Slaton. He's not the answer... until he is. I think he's going to tear up the Jaguars and get on track. I also think there will be a run-defense sighting at Reliant Stadium this weekend and it will be wearing Battle Red.

Holy "Return of the Living Dead Thread" Batman!

hradhak
12-11-2011, 06:06 PM
I can't even remember how many things that I was wrong about. I'm glad that I was wrong about a lot of things this season though. I never thought that this defense would turn around the way it has.

Wolf
12-11-2011, 06:10 PM
tell me jacoby and walters as WR ..and we come back after halftime... I'd say no

Wolf
12-11-2011, 06:13 PM
honestly I was in acceptance that we lose.I wasn't mad at all.. however.. I was still pulling for the team to get it done.I just didn't have the emotion to get pissed when they made a mistake

GP
12-11-2011, 06:20 PM
1. JACOBY JONES

I was wrong about Jacoby Jones. I thought he would have a breakout season this year. He hasn't. The experiment needs to end.

-------

2. WADE PHILLIPS

I was not overly upset about Wade Phillips, I was just hoping we'd bring in a guy like Cowher at HC to change the whole mindset of both sides of the football. Turns out, the idea to put Wade at d-coord was perhaps the single-most important move in Texans franchise history. Perhaps letting Carr go and grabbing Schaub in a trade where we lost two 2nd round picks is arguably the most vital to our history. And maybe Arian Foster as an UDFA phenom is up there in that rare air, too. Still, Wade was the factor for our season this year. Period.

-------

3. GARY KUBIAK (with a caveat, of course! LOL)

OK, OK...he has been more of factor than I realized. Turns out, the guys play their asses off for him. It's telling when Del Rio gets fired after a home loss to the Texans this season. Where once we thought Del Rio had lead his team to the playoffs and his guys always find ways to beat us at every turn of the way...Kubiak is still a HC and Del Rio is not. Diverging paths, for sure.

You know what? Scratch my caveat. There is none. I was wrong about Kubiak.

-------

4. GLENN COFFEE

I thought we were dumb to pass on the guy a few drafts ago. I thought he was a Ben Tate type guy. He's not. I was wrong, and am glad we passed on him. I would have drafted him and he would have flaked out just like he did for the 49ers.

-------

5. Jury is still out on Kareem Jackson, IMO. So I wonder how it ends up with him. Just not convinced he can be a reliable CB2 for us.

-------

That's it.

I believed in Yates. I believed in our 2011 draft, every single round with no complaints. I thought Wade running the draft was genius, and it has shown to be so. Watt, Reed, and the selection of Yates but Kubiak? Genius.

IlliniJen
12-11-2011, 07:05 PM
I was completely and utterly wrong about this team being Team Milquetoast after we hired Wade and didn't fire Kubiak. I was soooooooooo pissed after last season with the inaction and thought we were headed for another year of mediocrity.

Couldn't be happier to be so very, very wrong.

I was right to have blind, stupid, unyielding faith in TJ. I had completely gone off the deep end and said to myself, "Self, if our team is going to lose not one, but TWO QBs, then I'll give into the chaos and believe in Yates, if for no other reason than it makes absolutely zero sense."

redwhiteblue
12-11-2011, 10:52 PM
2006 - wanted d'brickashaw ferguson instead of mario williams
2007 - didnt want adrian peterson, thought he was injury prone, thought we got the steal of the draft with amobi okoye
2008 - wanted to trade all our picks and move up to draft glenn dorsey
2009 - wanted to draft malcolm jenkins in 1st round instead of cushing. wanted max unger or paul kruger in 2nd instead of connor barwin.
2010 - wanted to re-sign dunta robinson and trade up for earl thomas. wanted daryl washington in the 2nd round instead of ben tate.
2011 - wanted to draft julio jones instead of jj watt.

so dont pay attention to me in the draft threads.

Mr teX
12-11-2011, 11:08 PM
2007 - didnt want adrian peterson, thought he was injury prone, thought we got the steal of the draft with amobi okoye
2009 - wanted to draft malcolm jenkins in 1st round instead of cushing. wanted max unger or paul kruger in 2nd instead of connor barwin.
2010 - wanted to re-sign dunta robinson and trade up for earl thomas. wanted daryl washington in the 2nd round instead of ben tate.

uhhhh, yeah

ObsiWan
12-11-2011, 11:25 PM
I was wrong to think we didn't need to grab, draft, sign, kidnap a complimentary stud WR to go with A.J. I, too, thought J.J. was going to have a breakout season. He keeps showing flashes but no consistency. Bring someone in to take away his job.

I was wrong to think we would have a major defensive drop off when, first Mario, then Manning were lost. I apologize to Buddha Wade for not having enough faith in his magic.

Scooter
12-11-2011, 11:26 PM

you're officially banned from any thread involving personnel moves or draft picks lol.

:handshake:

Scooter
12-11-2011, 11:28 PM
I was wrong to think we didn't need to grab, draft, sign, kidnap a complimentary stud WR to go with A.J. I, too, thought J.J. was going to have a breakout season. He keeps showing flashes but no consistency. Bring someone in to take away his job.

likewise. i had the same opinion of slaton as a playmaker waiting to "get it" which also didnt happen.

redwhiteANDblue
12-11-2011, 11:38 PM

You're name is awfully similair to mine. For a second there I thought I posted that and just forgot that I was such a great draft guru

Wolf
05-24-2012, 09:58 PM
Cushing.. I had my doubts at first but he is flat out good

chenjy9
05-28-2012, 09:13 AM
This seems like a fun thread. Let's see all the things I was wrong about.

1. David Carr - I never thought he would be great, but I was hoping for at least decent. All those years behind a porous O-line however, reduced the poor boy to a shell of himself. By the time Kubes got here, the guy was worthless.

2. VY or Bush - I am an UT alumni so I was obviously biased. With Carr as our QB though, could anyone blame me? :D It was either him or Bush. Well Houston went with a curve and picked Super Mario and made us all eat crow. Mario became an NFL star and we all know what happened to the other 2.

3. Steve Slaton - Thought we had a legitimate star until he stopped using whatever adhesive he use to have on his fingers. Thankfully we did not have to wait to long for Foster and Tate to arrive.

4. Jacoby Jones - This chump really should be first but I was trying not to think of him. If there was EVER a player that could make me cheer, want to throw my remote at the TV, and then cry all in the same damn game, it is this underachieving player. That being said, I had such high hopes for him. Too bad it just never clicked for him between the years...

5. Wade Phillips - Admittedly I thought this was a PR move by Kubes to get out of the hot seat. The Son of Bum has proven me wrong and I am very happy about it.

DocBar
05-28-2012, 10:56 AM
David Carr
Amobe Okoye
Duane Brown-I'm soooo glad I was wrong about him!!

I also would've liked to have gotten Glenn dorsey and still would. He's been misused in KC but, if he still has that motor, would be a holy terror in Wade's D.

I was also wrong about there being a page 10 to this thread. :spy:

powda
05-28-2012, 08:16 PM

Wtf? I just noticed that to.

I was horribly wrong about charley frickin casserly.

ObsiWan
05-28-2012, 08:45 PM
David Carr
Amobe Okoye
Duane Brown-I'm soooo glad I was wrong about him!!

I also would've liked to have gotten Glenn dorsey and still would. He's been misused in KC but, if he still has that motor, would be a holy terror in Wade's D.

No you weren't
:D

80tothezone
05-28-2012, 09:29 PM
I was wrong about kubes 2 yrs ago and wrong about the 2010 season lol.

Casey not cutting it as a FB, and i was wrong abou, HWSNBM