PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Cuts

Wolf
08-20-2006, 01:17 PM
I haven't seen the cut days, just wondering when and who is more than likely gone on first time around?

aj.
08-20-2006, 01:20 PM
Aug 29 to 65

Sept 2 to 53

Trapped
08-20-2006, 02:05 PM
I heard Ashley Lelie will be cut. I think we should take a look at him. He played for Kubiak before.

dat_boy_yec
08-20-2006, 02:09 PM
I heard Ashley Lelie will be cut. I think we should take a look at him. He played for Kubiak before.

No way man. We got our 1 and 2 receivers and ther reason he wants out of Denver is cuz he can't earn those jobs, I don't think he'd be a good fit here and could really mess with what we got going.

Trapped
08-20-2006, 02:13 PM
No way man. We got our 1 and 2 receivers and ther reason he wants out of Denver is cuz he can't earn those jobs, I don't think he'd be a good fit here and could really mess with what we got going.
gyea, i think im more afraid he might go to Jacksonville or Tennessee. We are set at WR though.

I don't know though. U can never have too much talent. I would take a look at Charles Rogers and Ashley Lelie anyways. I think next year, we will draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd round. So if we get one of these guys and they perform well. we would be set at WR for 4-5 years.

cbnjwill
08-20-2006, 02:29 PM
yea were set at the one and two spots after that i think we will be looking at the waiver wire for a receiver. i think they are looking for a 3rd and 4th wr. to step up. lewis made a nice play last nite. i think we will bring in another wr and a db from waivers

TEXANS MVP
08-20-2006, 06:38 PM
who do u guys think r on the chopping blocks

Tale Gator
08-20-2006, 06:46 PM
Thirteen question marks -- perhaps you should be cut.

bayoudreamn
08-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Thirteen question marks -- perhaps you should be cut.

LOL. Biggest question last night was "where was our third receiver?" I saw him walking on the field one time, other than that I couldn't find him. I'd heard good things about him the last few weeks but I haven't seen him in the last 2 games.

TEXANS MVP
08-20-2006, 07:19 PM
What do you guys think

Bearfan Blue and Orange
08-21-2006, 09:49 AM
LOL. Biggest question last night was "where was our third receiver?" I saw him walking on the field one time, other than that I couldn't find him. I'd heard good things about him the last few weeks but I haven't seen him in the last 2 games.

Just because a guy does not get the ball, does not mean he is not a factor. I remember specifically the first game there was more than 1 time that Walter took the safety/DB and left Moulds with noone within 5 yards of him.

The only thing I am worried about with Carr is he locks in on 1 receiver and does not run through reads. if he does not do that, The #3 WR will not get many looks. Also, if you are seeing RBs getting longer runs is because the WRs downfield are locking up the LBs and rest of the secondary so that the RB can spring past into the secondary and hit those lesser weight DBs.

We have 1,2,3 LOCKED.

Also, it is preseason, the coaching staff is looking for the #4 and 5 and have many guys to evaluate and only a few games to do it. Kubiak knows what Walter can do and what he is capable of.

Kaiser Toro
08-21-2006, 10:04 AM

When our first string QB is on the field I doubt that the WR3 will ever get a look. In my opinion the NFL game is a little to fast for Carr in the pocket. He is much better rolling out.

Hulk75
08-21-2006, 10:40 AM
He wants to be the guy...............here he would probably be the 3rd guy.

the wonger need food
08-21-2006, 10:53 AM
We have 1,2,3 LOCKED.

Also, it is preseason, the coaching staff is looking for the #4 and 5 and have many guys to evaluate and only a few games to do it. Kubiak knows what Walter can do and what he is capable of.

Not so fast there... Derick Lewis is making a lot more plays than Walter so far in the preseason. I wouldn't completely discount him as the 3rd WR.

TexanFanInCC
08-21-2006, 11:30 AM
well then what happens to derrick armstrong? he definitely needs a larger role on this team. i mean i like lewis and he has been very impressive, but armstrong can make big plays and tough catches. it seems unfortunate that he slips to the number 5 reciever.

Algebrat
08-21-2006, 11:34 AM
well then what happens to derrick armstrong? he definitely needs a larger role on this team. i mean i like lewis and he has been very impressive, but armstrong can make big plays and tough catches. it seems unfortunate that he slips to the number 5 reciever.

I think Armstrong may slip to the cut list. He doesn't seem to be gettin any love as far as playing time. No PT, no chance to make the team. With little to no value on special teams, I don't think he'll make it.

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
08-21-2006, 11:48 AM

Yes Armstrong never dropped a pass last season, that was thrown his way, he is above average, and deserves a spot. Lewis is another T.O. in the making, he has a attitude......when on and off the field, also had a attitude at training camp several days I watched him.....he never stopped to greet the fans for a smile or autograph

HOU-TEX
08-21-2006, 12:00 PM
Yes Armstrong never dropped a pass last season, that was thrown his way, he is above average, and deserves a spot. Lewis is another T.O. in the making, he has a attitude......when on and off the field, also had a attitude at training camp several days I watched him.....he never stopped to greet the fans for a smile or autograph

Do you have proof of this? Or is this your personal opinion. Due to his personal losses, I would doubt he'd have an attitude like TO. Unless it's proven, I wouldn't go off discrediting any player for the Texans.

real
08-21-2006, 12:04 PM
Do you have proof of this? Or is this your personal opinion. Due to his personal losses, I would doubt he'd have an attitude like TO. Unless it's proven, I wouldn't go off discrediting any player for the Texans.

Exactly. Just say you really like Armstrong instead of trying to discredit a player that's currently beating him out...But Honestly I don't think Armstrong fits our system...Kubiak seems to like tall recievers that can run...and of those things armstrong is neither...Maybe if he could play special teams....but since he can't I really don't see where he fits into the picture for next season....

Kaiser Toro
08-21-2006, 12:21 PM
I will shed not one tear if Armstrong is cut.

real
08-21-2006, 12:26 PM
I will shed not one tear if Armstrong is cut.

dito. :mario:

ledzeppelin229
08-21-2006, 12:41 PM
I think Armstrong would catch on somewhere else even if he was cut here. He's a great #3/4/5 possession guy and plenty of teams like guys that can catch.

And those that said Armstrong is short.....he's 6'2" and 216 lbs. Not that small.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
08-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Not so fast there... Derick Lewis is making a lot more plays than Walter so far in the preseason. I wouldn't completely discount him as the 3rd WR.

Of course he has, when the first team is out of the game for 1/2 to 3/4 of the game and Lewis is in there without Moulds and AJ in there, he should get more looks and more plays.

AGAIN, At this point Kubiak knows his starters (at least 90%) and that is what the first quarter of the preseason games are for, to run through game schemes and then get the other guys in there for the rest of the game to continue the schemes and see how they play to fill the remaining spots on the 53man roster.

I am not worried, the #1,2,3 spots are pretty muched locked in and the #4 and 5 spots have several WRs that are battling to get those 2 spots.

One more thing to remember is what do you do when Mathis comes back? carry 6WRs? i am not so sure that will happen either.

Kaiser Toro
08-21-2006, 05:19 PM
I would ot be surprised to see us have 4 active WR's and two active QB's when it is said and done.

real
08-21-2006, 05:20 PM
Of course he has, when the first team is out of the game for 1/2 to 3/4 of the game and Lewis is in there without Moulds and AJ in there, he should get more looks and more plays.

AGAIN, At this point Kubiak knows his starters (at least 90%) and that is what the first quarter of the preseason games are for, to run through game schemes and then get the other guys in there for the rest of the game to continue the schemes and see how they play to fill the remaining spots on the 53man roster.

I am not worried, the #1,2,3 spots are pretty muched locked in and the #4 and 5 spots have several WRs that are battling to get those 2 spots.

One more thing to remember is what do you do when Mathis comes back? carry 6WRs? i am not so sure that will happen either.

I agree with you about Walters being the third reciever(for now)...but it's not because of when he plays...He plays a lot with the second team as the number one...

Insideop
08-21-2006, 05:25 PM
I think Armstrong would catch on somewhere else even if he was cut here. He's a great #3/4/5 possession guy and plenty of teams like guys that can catch.

And those that said Armstrong is short.....he's 6'2" and 216 lbs. Not that small.

He's listed as 6'2" and 196 lbs on the Texans official website team roster. That's still pretty good size for a receiver.

joetexan
08-23-2006, 10:17 AM
Has the team announced any roster cuts yet?

real
08-23-2006, 10:23 AM
Has the team announced any roster cuts yet?

I don't thik they are going to make cuts until the 29th

Porky
08-23-2006, 01:27 PM
99% chance Armstrong gets cut. He isn't worth a hoot on special teams. Kubes isn't going to have a 4th or 5th WR who cannot play ST...

real
08-23-2006, 01:30 PM
99% chance Armstrong gets cut. He isn't worth a hoot on special teams. Kubes isn't going to have a 4th or 5th WR who cannot play ST...

good bye armstrong...

humbleone
08-23-2006, 02:07 PM

Ditto...and if they (the coaches) aren't talking about you at this point then you are probably not in their plans. It will be interesting to see how much PT he gets this week and next.

buddyboy
08-23-2006, 02:13 PM
btw, lelie was traded in a 3 way deal with the falcons, the broncos and....someone else, not sure who. heard it on the radio

El Tejano
08-23-2006, 02:25 PM
I haven't seen anything that Walters has done and I have seen Arms grab a couple of first down catches.

real
08-23-2006, 02:27 PM
I haven't seen anything that Walters has done and I have seen Arms grab a couple of first down catches.

I haven't seen Walters do much either...But for that matter, I haven't seen any of our WR's do much....

HOU-TEX
08-23-2006, 02:27 PM
btw, lelie was traded in a 3 way deal with the falcons, the broncos and....someone else, not sure who. heard it on the radio

I think the Broncos got a 3rd and 4th round pick from Washington. Atlanta got Lelie. TJ Ducket goes to Washington. Did I miss something?
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2558101

buddyboy
08-23-2006, 02:29 PM
ty for link, personally, i dunno if a 3rd and 4th is worth lelie, presumably atlanta's #1 reciever?

HOU-TEX
08-23-2006, 02:33 PM
ty for link, personally, i dunno if a 3rd and 4th is worth lelie, presumably atlanta's #1 reciever?

If you notice in the article they say the picks "could escalate". I'm assuming that would mean more or lower round picks. Oh well, at least that's one less reciever we have to pay attention to this Sunday. On the other hand, it looks as though Denver didn't need him anyways. Can't wait until Sunday night.:cowboy1:

Brandon420tx
08-23-2006, 02:57 PM
We aren't going to keep Armstrong, but another team is going to get some use out of him, If they are still hurting in Detriot Armstrong could end up teaming with Bradford again:spy:

What other mentionable name do you think gets cut?

HOU-TEX
08-23-2006, 03:06 PM
We aren't going to keep Armstrong, but another team is going to get some use out of him, If they are still hurting in Detriot Armstrong could end up teaming with Bradford again:spy:

What other mentionable name do you think gets cut?

IMO, Antwan Smith would be a good candidate. After Kubiak started him in the first game against KC, he hasn't seen anytime at all on the field. He hasn't even mentioned his name since then. For what our RBs have been doing rushing wise, his 5 for 10 yards are pretty weak comparably speaking.:hides:

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
08-23-2006, 03:09 PM
What about our DB's our we hurting in this area besides Dunta and maybe Lewis are keepers? Or will they try to pick up some FA's after the cuts come out for this position.......

El Tejano
08-23-2006, 03:13 PM
I think they will continue with the DBs they have, pick one up off from the cut list and then let some of ours go.

TheRealJoker
08-23-2006, 03:15 PM
Im very interested in seeing if Kubiak will take a chance on Charles Rogers.

HOU-TEX
08-23-2006, 03:16 PM
What about our DB's our we hurting in this area besides Dunta and maybe Lewis are keepers? Or will they try to pick up some FA's after the cuts come out for this position.......

Lewis a DB??? Derrick Lewis is a WR. IIRC, he's the only Lewis we have. :confused: Kubiak has already said he was going to bring in a bunch after the first cuts to try out.

real
08-23-2006, 03:17 PM
Lewis a DB??? Derrick Lewis is a WR. IIRC, he's the only Lewis we have. :confused: Kubiak has already said he was going to bring in a bunch after the first cuts to try out.

I think he meant Lewis Sanders

TheRealJoker
08-23-2006, 03:17 PM

Lewis Sanders imo

HOU-TEX
08-23-2006, 03:18 PM
I think he meant Lewis Sanders

Ah, gotcha! I'm just used to talking football using last names. My bad. Thanks

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
08-23-2006, 03:19 PM

LEWIS SANDERS, SORRY SOMETIMES I USE FIRST NAMES

Bearfan Blue and Orange
08-23-2006, 05:11 PM

in preseason you do not expect to hear much from your 1,2,3 WR when they are as strong as they are this year. The coaches know what they have there, so they have been using as much time as possible to evaluate the remaining WRs to see who is strong to earn the #4 and #5 spot.

AFD1717
08-23-2006, 05:45 PM
Im very interested in seeing if Kubiak will take a chance on Charles Rogers.
If Rogers is smart, he'll go somewhere where there is less competition. If we claim him on waivers does he have a choice?

infantrycak
08-23-2006, 05:51 PM
If we claim him on waivers does he have a choice?

No--the new team picks up the remainder of the contract and he is obligated under it.

AFD1717
08-23-2006, 06:17 PM
No--the new team picks up the remainder of the contract and he is obligated under it.
Thanks!

CloakNNNdagger
08-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Martin Gramatica remember "Mr. Automatica" has just been released by the Pats. He was out of football last year due to a previous season which was terrible. He lost out to a rookie, but supposedly still showed strength and accuracy in the preseason.

Brandon420tx
08-23-2006, 07:38 PM
Martin Gramatica remember "Mr. Automatica" has just been released by the Pats. He was out of football last year due to a previous season which was terrible. He lost out to a rookie, but supposedly still showed strength and accuracy in the preseason.
Grab him Grab him

RiotCommander
08-23-2006, 07:40 PM
The same one that messed up his ankle dancing after a fieldgoal? I know we need a kicker, and I would give him a look too. I just had to throw that out there. :)

edo783
08-23-2006, 09:05 PM
I was kind of surprised that the Pats decided to roll with the rookie. He did do well in preseason though. Just thought the Pats would go with the Vet.

Pigskin Porkers
08-25-2006, 06:55 AM
What do people think about Antowain Smith getting cut.....yah or nay?

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-25-2006, 07:07 AM
I think he definitely makes it past the first cut. Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith will then likely take a look at the players on the waiver wire and see if there are any better options for us as the short yardage/goal line back.

Carr Bombed
08-25-2006, 07:21 AM
I think we already have our short yardage back in Chris Taylor, he has the size for it and he runs hard. Kubiak should go ahead and cut Smith and give him a chance to catch on somewhere else. This team already has enough talent at the RB position.

gjmac2
08-25-2006, 08:22 AM
I think he gets cut.

I have also heard that Seth Wand might be in trouble as well. Heard that on 610 the other morning.

:thumbdown

TexanBacker93
08-25-2006, 09:14 AM
I think he gets cut.

I have also heard that Seth Wand might be in trouble as well. Heard that on 610 the other morning.

That's interesting. Maybe that's why they want to look at Eric Winston at LT a little as well. I'd be hesitant keeping 2 rookies to be playing LT. Koobs has said they won't move Pitts back there. Still, if they are going to keep 4 tackles and Salaam, Winston, Spencer, and Weigert are the best then that's who you need to dance with.

HOU-TEX
08-25-2006, 09:18 AM
I think he gets cut.

I highly doubt they'd cut one of thier best prospects at LT.:rolleyes:

TexanBacker93
08-25-2006, 09:37 AM

Wouldn't that be classic? They use 3 straight top 10 picks on receivers and then sign 2 castoffs from one of the worst passing offenses from 2005. And Millen gets a big extension? I really need to get a GM job.

I thnk I read or heard Koobs saying they were probably going to do their cuts on the 28th so they would be ready to grab players off the waiver wire if anyone is released that could help the team.

real
08-25-2006, 09:46 AM

Im not sure what kind of Cap ramifications there would be, but if they think that Spencer has what it takes to start, and they think that Salaam & Winston are both capable backups....I can see that happening...but like you said ...'tis doubtful...

infantrycak
08-25-2006, 09:50 AM
Im not sure what kind of Cap ramifications there would be, but if they think that Spencer has what it takes to start, and they think that Salaam & Winston are both capable backups....I can see that happening...but like you said ...'tis doubtful...

Wand is in the last year of his contract and has just $6720 bonus to account for if cut. Still don't think he goes from 1st string to off the team.

HOU-TEX
08-25-2006, 09:50 AM

IMO, I would use Wand as the swing tackle. From what I've heard about Salaam, I wouldn't rely on him. I'm not sure about Winston. Has anyone focused on his play this pre-season? I guess we'll soon see.:spy:

AFD1717
08-25-2006, 12:24 PM
I understand the idea of putting a guy in early to see what he can do against starting caliber players, but I doubt we would have wasted that many snaps on Wand if he were in danger of getting cut. If they were seriously thinking about letting him go, we'd have seen Winston and Salaam in the first quarter at LT sooner than game 3.

Divebomb
08-25-2006, 12:29 PM
I understand the idea of putting a guy in early to see what he can do against starting caliber players, but I doubt we would have wasted that many snaps on Wand if he were in danger of getting cut. If they were seriously thinking about letting him go, we'd have seen Winston and Salaam in the first quarter at LT sooner than game 3.
This is the NFL weirder things have happened.

infantrycak
08-25-2006, 12:34 PM
This is the NFL weirder things have happened.

Like starting Victor "turnstyle" Riley at LT.

Runner
08-25-2006, 01:00 PM

Only if they judge players by previous perception rather than on current performance.

People need to watch Wand play with an open mind. He is much improved. The biggest knock on any play so far this year was that he was pushed back "too close" to the QB. True, it was a poor play - he did get pushed back. He recovered enough for the play to be successful. Take a look at all of his plays - he is very solid this year. He's also made some outstanding plays.

I think if the board evaluated every o-lineman like they did Wand we'd have to cut them all. I'm sure they've all been beaten some this year.

Runner
08-25-2006, 01:09 PM

Joe Pendry says, "What a great idea! I just benched our best LT; I should have cut him! If I ever get another job, I'll try that".

HOU-TEX
08-25-2006, 01:37 PM
Joe Pendry says, "What a great idea! I just benched our best LT; I should have cut him! If I ever get another job, I'll try that".

He won't have a chance to cut him when the only job he'll get is with a junior high.:whip:

Texans Horror
08-25-2006, 02:23 PM
]']Wow what was that all about?

Just a bad, bad decision, and very indicative of last year's season. I won't get into details, but this is the basics (others feel free to add):

Offensive Line coach/Coordinator Pendry insisted that Riley play Tackle, even after the guy allowed sack-after-sack-after-sack. The popular belief was that Riley was put on the line because he had credentials/veteran status. The guy played horribly, and He was also way over the weight limit. Despite having a good first year starting, Pendry benched Wand without explanation. I think it took five atrocious games before Riley was finally benched and replaced with Pitts.