PDA

View Full Version : Big problems at fullback . . Jameel Cook is horrible!

Marcus
08-20-2006, 11:30 AM
Has anyone seen Jameel Cook's attempts at blocking, either on running plays or in pass protection? It's almost comical. They were even talking about it on the radio broadcast. At one time, the commentator said, "I don't think I've seen him make one block yet the past two games."

(For you guys that re-watch the game on TIVO, focus on this guy and lend me your thoughts)

AFD1717
08-20-2006, 11:39 AM
From what I saw, I was pretty disappointed too. How did Joppru do at FB? Specifically his blocking.

ccdude730
08-20-2006, 11:54 AM
From what I saw, I was pretty disappointed too. How did Joppru do at FB? Specifically his blocking.
i was not too happy with cook either. as for joppru i only remember 2 plays while he was at FB.

1)he either went to the wrong gap, or the RB decided to cut it back - either way it worked out good because the LB followed joppru to create a good hole for a nice gain

2)joppru caught a pass on the playaction and had some nice yards, but a holding call on lundy i believe

AFD1717
08-20-2006, 11:58 AM
I remember his catch that called back, but I didn't see him blocking. I thought everybody from UM could block?

Marcus
08-20-2006, 11:59 AM
That's what I want to know . . but I'm pretty sure that's why Kubiak is experimenting him there. And Rick Smith has got to be checking the waiver wire for fullbacks, because right now, there's a big problem.

I wonder if Kubiak is thinking he wished had hadn't cut Jonathan Wells loose so quickly?

AFD1717
08-20-2006, 12:01 PM
I keep hearing about what a great locker room guy Cook is. Too bad he isn't too good outside of the locker room.

Brandon420tx
08-20-2006, 12:03 PM
That's what I want to know . . but I'm pretty sure that's why Kubiak is experimenting him there. And Rick Smith has got to be checking the waiver wire for fullbacks, because right now, there's a big problem.

I wonder if Kubiak is thinking he wished had hadn't cut Jonathan Wells loose so quickly?

I love the preseason "Cut him he sucks" thing. Same things happening to Mario because he only gets 1 tackle:pigfly: . Its (homer)ous. All of these players still need to develope, both in game experiance and in the system, If you want to freak out, then do it after the Bucs game, like I do :shades:

South Texan
08-20-2006, 12:11 PM
OK, I am going to let the cat out of the bag.

Kubiak is going to put Eric "T-Rex" Winston in at starting FB when the season starts. He does have some experience at TE in college after all.

Back to reality... I won't be surprised to see us pick up a FB along with some help for the secondary when the cut downs begin.

D-Vizzl
08-20-2006, 12:18 PM
I'm a big Tampa fan (btw, did anyone else see the Texans running the Tampa 2 last night) and Jameel Cook was a pretty good blocker in the past with excellent blitz recognition. Let's just hope he gets the cobwebs out and embraces his new blocking scheme.

Grid
08-20-2006, 01:13 PM
Taken from another forum, so I have no links to the article. Take it for what its worth, but...

The Charlotte Observer reports Carolina Panthers RB Eric Shelton is likely to be cut from the team. If he is cut, as expected, there is no obvious big back to gain the tough yards for the Panthers. I doubt he'll end up being released, but if so, this could be the guy the Steelers desperately need behind Fast Willie Parker. He was drafted in the 2nd round, #54 overall in '05. Draft analysts compared him to Bettis coming out of college. Shelton is a bruising scoring machine whose style of play has been compared to Pittsburgh Steelers standout Jerome Bettis. He is a big, physical inside runner who shows very nimble feet for a player of his size

Might be a good grab for us if they let him go.

Marcus
08-20-2006, 01:57 PM
He was drafted in the 2nd round, #54 overall in '05. Draft analysts compared him to Bettis coming out of college. Shelton is a bruising scoring machine whose style of play has been compared to Pittsburgh Steelers standout Jerome Bettis. He is a big, physical inside runner who shows very nimble feet for a player of his size.

So what's the knock on him then? Gotta be more than just a numbers game. The fact that finally got into the end of the game with the 4th string shows that he hasn't exactly been lighting it up in training camp. Rashaun Woods just got cut from the 49ers also.

Goes to show that what you did in college doesn't mean squat in the NFL. (But then we know that already, right?):stirpot:

Grid
08-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Well.. despite what his shortcomings might be.. he is only in his second year and some players do better in other systems.

But, from what ive read, no one really knows what is wrong with him. He is Carolina's Seth Wand...he had a few seconds to show his stuff, the Coaches were not immediatly wowed, and he has been in the dog house ever since.

Marcus
08-20-2006, 04:40 PM
I'm a big Tampa fan (btw, did anyone else see the Texans running the Tampa 2 last night) and Jameel Cook was a pretty good blocker in the past with excellent blitz recognition. Let's just hope he gets the cobwebs out and embraces his new blocking scheme.

Well, if that is the reason why Kubiak brought him here, then he's got to be disappointed.

aj.
08-20-2006, 08:22 PM
Comments from Kubiak today at the press conf:

(on the fullbacks) ďThey were much improved. (FB) Jameel Cook played fairly well. He was in the right spot and he had his pads down and played much better. (FB) Nick Luchey came in and played better too. Thatís important they realize itís a big battle, and itís going to come down to if we can keep two or one. That is a very competitive situation for those guys.Ē

Jwwillis
08-20-2006, 08:46 PM
i was not too happy with cook either. as for joppru i only remember 2 plays while he was at FB.

1)he either went to the wrong gap, or the RB decided to cut it back - either way it worked out good because the LB followed joppru to create a good hole for a nice gain

2)joppru caught a pass on the playaction and had some nice yards, but a holding call on lundy i believe

Carr doesn't make the throw without the hold.

Hulk75
08-20-2006, 08:49 PM
Carr doesn't make the throw without the hold.
Sure...............He did not have to hold him at all.

jdog
08-20-2006, 09:15 PM
I thought Cook blocked well on Lundy's first touchdown run against the Chiefs. I haven't paid attention to him much. I didn't get to see him against the Rams either. From what I have seen/noticed it seems like he blocks more like a half back. He seems to go low and hit the ground. I don't know much about full backs, but it seems like the good ones are more like a bull dozer than a log.

HJam72
08-21-2006, 12:25 AM
Hey, I know somebody that can block pretty well. Guy named Moran Norris.

Battle Red Flash
08-21-2006, 10:17 AM
Did not see much on Cook, but I know I'd rather have a great blocking FB, (Norris), than a good pass-catching FB. (Cook)

KING_HOUSTON
08-21-2006, 10:35 AM
Bring Back BIG NORRIS!!!! Now that Guy is an animal!! He knows his job and loves to hit people!!

real
08-21-2006, 10:55 AM
Moran Norris doesn't fit our system....But I watched Cook and Jopru and IMO, it was a wash....neither played poorly, but neither played extremely well...Jopru seemed quicker, and more wreckless; which is a good thing...Cook may start the season as the starter, but IMO, Jopru will end up being the better all around player for us and end up starting...

TexansLucky13
08-21-2006, 11:06 AM
Moran Norris doesn't fit our system....But I watched Cook and Jopru and IMO, it was a wash....neither played poorly, but neither played extremely well...Jopru seemed quicker, and more wreckless; which is a good thing...Cook may start the season as the starter, but IMO, Jopru will end up being the better all around player for us and end up starting...

I agree with this. Personally, I don't understand why Cook hasn't played as well as we had hoped thus far. I mean, I have watched him play at Tampa, and as it was said before.... he is good. He learned from Alstott and his transition to our system shouldn't be really complicated for him. Let's hope that he can step up before preseason... I am confident that he will be our starter.

As for Joppru, I think he is playing pretty well for a guy who hasn't played for three years. He has, again and again, proved that he can handle this offense or anything that Kubiak throws at him.

In the Rams game I saw that Lundy missed an important block, but he also made an exceptional block in the Chiefs game. Right now I have to take a little bit more time to judge our blocking scheme.

HOU-TEX
08-21-2006, 11:12 AM
I agree with this. Personally, I don't understand why Cook hasn't played as well as we had hoped thus far. I mean, I have watched him play at Tampa, and as it was said before.... he is good. He learned from Alstott and his transition to our system shouldn't be really complicated for him. Let's hope that he can step up before preseason... I am confident that he will be our starter.

As for Joppru, I think he is playing pretty well for a guy who hasn't played for three years. He has, again and again, proved that he can handle this offense or anything that Kubiak throws at him.

In the Rams game I saw that Lundy missed an important block, but he also made an exceptional block in the Chiefs game. Right now I have to take a little bit more time to judge our blocking scheme.

I'm wishing the best for Joppru too. Owen Daniels is looking pretty darn good too. Did anyone kinda wince when Joppru took that lick when he made that catch? He got up like he'd got his bell rung pretty good. The main thing is, he got up:superman: