PDA

View Full Version : Texans at Rams: First Impressions?

Hervoyel
08-19-2006, 11:42 PM
Wali Lundy is a rookie. He's a good fit for this system but he's still a rookie.

Vinny was on to something where Vernand Morency is concerned. He looked a lot like vintage Domanick Davis to me tonight only faster. If he keeps this up Domanick Davis will be a 3rd down back again.

Dave Ragone is much better fit for the Rams offense than he was for the one we were running. He was an even worse fit for the one we run now. He still looks awkward to me though.

Buchanon can cover but the announcer was right about that first pass interference penalty. That was all Phillip. The second one was a crock.

By my estimation this is the second week I feel that we should have broken 30 points but didn't.

Our first string D did a very good job tonight. In years past we couldn't have afforded a slow start like that and would have been down 14-0 or 17-0 before Carr and the offense got moving. It's nice to have the luxury of a dependable D again. We had one in 2002 but it was gone the next year and never came back.

Ok, maybe Taylor can be a beast.

Mario Williams looked like a highly regarded rookie this week which is nice.

David Carr made what appeared to me to be some very bad decisions. He pulled out of it in the 2nd quarter but I was nervous until we reached the half.

This (2-0 in the preseason and looking like they care) is an immense improvement over years past.

Kris Brown gives me that "Brad Lidge" feeling. I think we need a kicker.

Historyhorn
08-19-2006, 11:47 PM
Morency was a good back at Okie State. He was a slashing style runner that I believed would work well in the zone blocking scheme system. I wasn't really able to understand why he was having so much trouble with juking and lollygagging behind the LOS. It's good to see that he's starting to get "it".

With a team that's building like the one we have, we can't afford to miss field goals when we get the opportunities. Those will kill a young and upcoming team as they try to take on teams that are more experienced and have the confidence that winning brings.

Go Texans

TexanSam
08-19-2006, 11:48 PM
David Carr looked jitterish at first, but settled down in at the end of 1st quarter and played well in the 2nd.

Morency looked very good. Good pass blocker. May have the upper hand over Lundy.

Buchanon had a very good game. 1st pass interference call was his fault, but the 2nd was the refs fault. He may be our Jerome Mathis as a punt returner.

Rosenfels looks like a very capable backup.

Peek may be in for a very good year. Dwight Freeney-lite.

The offensive line didn't look as good as they did last week. They weren't bad, but they weren't good either. They were decent.

The first team defense looked much improved over last week. Especially the pass rush.

McCleon isn't the answer as the 2nd string CB. Buchanon may be. We need Faggins back though as our 3rd CB.

jerek
08-19-2006, 11:49 PM
I will admit, it always seems like it takes Carr a series or two to settle down. Not sure why that is.

Good post Herv and I agree with just about all of it. Most notable is your comments on the D being dependable and keeping us in the game early on; so true. So wonderful.

Grid
08-19-2006, 11:51 PM
It's good to see that he's starting to get "it".

Its amazing what a little competition will do to help someone "get it" :D.

Put a couple promising rookies in front of him and say "run it right or you wont be here for week 1" and suddenly he looks like the best back on our roster (including DD).

I hope he keeps it up. Morency and Lundy look like a good possibility for a "thunder and lightning" running game.. though neither of them quite fit into the thunder, or lightning, mold.. they are both somewhere in between.. which works fine too :D.

texflex513
08-19-2006, 11:52 PM
Kris Brown gives me that "Brad Lidge" feeling. I think we need a kicker.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

michaelm
08-20-2006, 12:00 AM
Two very general feelings I have after two preseason games.

This year we will run the ball, and stop the run better than any previous year in franchise history.
We seem to get positive yardage on a high, high percentage of running plays, and it looks to me like there will be at least a couple of running plays each game where the line just blows out the middle of the DLine for a big/huge gain.

Defensively, we've kept two above average rushing attacks in check. I am very optimistic about our run D, and that will effect the entire defense in a positive way.

Texans Horror
08-20-2006, 12:05 AM
Morency looks terrific. I like having this competition between Morency and Lundi, so long as it stays healthy.

Mario Williams is improving, and that is a big thing for the franchise.

Too many 3-and-outs in the first quarter, but the line was missing (for the most part) Wand and McKinney. Wand made some great blocks when he was out there. He added yards to the play. Spencer looks great too. He can really back up a defender...we have a line. Carr was still sacked, but...we have a line...wow...

Kris Brown is scaring me.

Peek isn't. When used appropriately, he is a monster.

The change in attitude and hustle is amazing. It does wonders for the viewer.

South Texan
08-20-2006, 12:09 AM
Secondary needs depth and more work.

Carr might have been told to concentrate on AJ instead of considering other targets. Also, seemed like he had to play "vanilla" tonight, in my mind the jury is still out on him. Sage is very solid backup and will probably be a starter for someone in the next couple of years.

Even if DD's knee prevents him from playing much, we are OK at running back.

Fullback position still needs to be addressed.

Defense was awesome in the last 2 minutes of the game with the goal line stand.

More consistancy in the trenches needed on both sides of the ball, but they did seem improved tonight.

Some guys I like are gonna get cut.:crying:

After we beat Denver next week will they rename it the Texans' Scheme? :challenge

The Seatle vs. Indy game tomorrow will be very interesting to see if Indy's weaknesses are opposite our strengths, ie. are the chinks in Indy's armour things we can take advantage of.

Last year is a quickly dying memory for us. How long till the "experts" catch on to how much we have changed?:yahoo:

blockhead83
08-20-2006, 12:10 AM
I missed the 1st quarter, but my thoughts from then on... :

- Sage Rosenfels was a head scratcher when we picked him up, but not any more. Not only can the guy play, he displays great leadership.

- I want Domanick to get healthy, but only because I like the guy. We're fine with the backs we have now. Morency tore it up tonight and Lundy is giving him plenty of competition.

- The line still looks great.

- The DLine was better tonight. Travis Johnson played well, IMO. We did much better against the run than against the Chiefs.

- Buchanon was a rollercoaster, big ups and downs. It seemed like they wanted to pick on him like he got picked on last season, but he looks better than he did last year so far.

- Carr made some bad decisions, but he played ok overall. Seemed like they went away from the rollout with him somewhat tonight. Andre looks solid.

- Our FB's got to make some plays, and btw Joppru looked alright at FB.

- Has Putzier done anything yet? How about Walter?

Smash_Mouth_Mario
08-20-2006, 12:11 AM
Buchanon can cover but the announcer was right about that first pass interference penalty. That was all Phillip. The second one was a crock.

By my estimation this is the second week I feel that we should have broken 30 points but didn't.

Our first string D did a very good job tonight. In years past we couldn't have afforded a slow start like that and would have been down 14-0 or 17-0 before Carr and the offense got moving. It's nice to have the luxury of a dependable D again. We had one in 2002 but it was gone the next year and never came back.

What do you think about Buchanon overall?

About the 30pts. I love the fact that we can disrupt the opponents offense. But did we have our 1st string O on the field late in the game? Don't you think that could have helped us get 30?

Yeah, I agree on Brown. I'm not sure about him.

ccdude730
08-20-2006, 12:12 AM
my impressions:

david carr got off to a bad start and glad he got us down the field at the end of the first half. seems like he has trouble getting things going but he was smart and threw the ball away when he knew he could not make anything happen

morency was spectacular tonight at picking up the blitz and getting positive yards, lundy needs work in pass protection but did well when they gave him the rock.

joppru took a shot after a nice grab! glad he got up but i wish we could have seen more from our TEs tonight. the backscreen with putz was a great playcall...

Dline did really good tonight, we only gave up 61 yards on the ground and the pressure was getting there with only 4 guys rushing. very impressed with TJ and peek. mario did some really good things tonight as well (better than last week) and all i ask is he continues to grow and learn while being a force in the trenches

our depth at CB seems a bit weak at times but with pbuch doing pretty well tonight he might reclaim his starting spot. i did not see lewis sanders, but with him and petey it does not look too bad for us.

we had 182 return yards with pbuch looking good at fielding the punts, but there is still questions around the kickoff return man until mathis or someone steps up (maybe anderson). kris brown can not miss a 37 yard field goal

thats all i can think of right now. i really am glad we got a win tonight :bananasplit:

Smash_Mouth_Mario
08-20-2006, 12:14 AM

Putzier had a key 1st quarter 1st down reception.

TEXANS84
08-20-2006, 12:18 AM

1st quarter was very sub-par.

michael123
08-20-2006, 12:27 AM
First off with the qb position

carr needs to chill out, for some reason he seems nervous when he is in the pocket, (from past experience 76 sacks) need to relax and have fun his line is way better than last year, or he will be on the bubble, rosefelts is a good back up,,

Morency reminds me of a young tomlison i hope he is the starter by the start of the season, and keeps improving. lundy reminds me of tiki barber doesnt have speed but can hit the holes hard.

the reciver that stood out too me as lewis that guy is crazy, love that catch and celebration..

The D was good but still need to improve i liked mario in his tackles for loss plays and peeks sacks wow that man is a beast.

but i love the winning attitude keep it up:redtowel: :redtowel: :redtowel: :yahoo:

blockhead83
08-20-2006, 12:30 AM
Yea after reading through the game thread it sounds like they were getting plenty of pressure on Carr and he wasn't avoiding it very well. Good to hear Putzier got involved as well as Joppru. Sounds like Spencer had a rough go of it with the 1st teamers....Wand's hopes are still alive.

Smash_Mouth_Mario
08-20-2006, 12:32 AM
Morency reminds me of a young tomlison i hope he is the starter by the start of the season, and keeps improving. lundy reminds me of tiki barber doesnt have speed but can hit the holes hard.

Those are very good comparisons.

Hervoyel
08-20-2006, 12:43 AM
What do you think about Buchanon overall?

I think Buchanon can be the kind of player we traded for. I think that on a team that gets consistent pressure he's a real threat to haul in some picks and that his return game is valuable. I think he played a very good game but made one big mistake (the first interference call) which I can accept. I think he'll get a little better before it's all said and done.

veazeyt
08-20-2006, 12:49 AM
About the Carr thing, the Rams were throwing a lot of blitzes at him. Almost every play in the first quarter. If Lundy was there to make the block he would just get run over or a penalty would be called for holding.

Then when Morency came he was able block some of the persuing LBs and such. Once he picked up the blitzes, they went to some run plays. Morency was getting success and Carr started looking more comfortable in the pocket.

In addition, there were no roll out plays called for Carr this week. I think he was very successful with those last week.

I agree with the FB positions and safeties. There were some really nice hits being made in the secondary, unfortunately they were being made in the secondary. Later on in the game, you could see that we dont have much depth in the secondary because their 3rd stringers were reeling in alot of catches.

Putzier had a beautiful screen play run up for him and he was stumbling bumbling rampage down the middlle of the field afre the catch. (1st QTR)

I did see Mccleon makes some decent plays, I would not write him off by any means. I mean he did block a field goal in all.

Hardcore Texan
08-20-2006, 12:51 AM
We are off to a better start than ever before in the pre-season, overall the whole offensive unit looked sloppy the first couple of possessions and then they got into a rythm and looked pretty good.

Carr looked off a bit at first, settle in and made good, sound decisions and throws, and got bettter as the game went on. We had protection problems early on also, our RB's weren't picking up the blitz i.e. Lundy. Morency lit it up, and did a good job with blocking, if DD can't go, he will be our starter. Rosenfels looked good, but faded a bit.

Defense did alot of bending but not breaking, had stops when it counted, Mario had more of a presence, and Peek tore it up.

Overall, we should be happy with our Texans, we have things to work on but should be very solid all around, good coaching can help that happen I hear.

HJam72
08-20-2006, 12:53 AM
Rosenfels is better than Carr. Carr has all the physical ability that any QB could ever need and a rocket for an arm, but he's still a dump-off passer. I said I won't defend him anymore. He has to earn it, so that's my first impression.

We have the best 2nd team in the NFL--and a subpar 1st team that would barely be better than our 2nd team IF Rosenfels started.

We should've drafted a good CB. Buchannon is great for punt returns and McCleon is great for blocking kicks. They both suck at covering receivers.

Morency is for real. He runs, he hits, he blocks, he scores. Oh, and he's faster than DD, who can't block.

Mario doesn't get sacks. He just goes out there, plays, disrupts things, and watches his team-mates maul the QB.

Brown should never kick anything in the 30-39 yd. range. We should just go for it on 4th down--or take a couple of penalties and let him nail a 60 yarder, lol. We need a normal kicker.

Smash_Mouth_Mario
08-20-2006, 01:05 AM
We should've drafted a good CB. Buchannon is great for punt returns and McCleon is great for blocking kicks. They both suck at covering receivers.

Maybe the CB should be our focus next years draft as well as O-line.

SESupergenius
08-20-2006, 01:06 AM
Rosenfels is better than Carr. no he isn't, he just looks good on the 2nd team.

We have the best 2nd team in the NFL--and a subpar 1st team that would barely be better than our 2nd team IF Rosenfels started. You'll see the best 2nd team in the NFL next week ....the Broncos.

HJam72
08-20-2006, 01:07 AM
Maybe the CB should be our focus next years draft as well as O-line.

I don't think O-line is going to be a major concern next draft, but I guess I could be wrong about that.

HoustonFan
08-20-2006, 01:09 AM
Carr worried me in the first quarter - the sack traumatized me. Relapse from years past. Like how he rebounded though. He had an okay night outside of that.

Rosenfels is impressive. I like his poise in the pocket. I guess it's like that when you haven't been sacked 208 times in your first 4 seasons:rolleyes:

The sack on Bulger by Peek and Greenwood was just awesome. The way they came at him.... I'm glad the guy was able to get up. And great goal stand for the W.

Buchanon was doing so well on kick off return, but then came the bonehead mistake. That last pass interference call was questionable, but the one he cost us in the beginning, not good.

We got the W. Can't wait for next Sunday against the Broncos.

HJam72
08-20-2006, 01:09 AM
no he isn't, he just looks good on the 2nd team.

You'll see the best 2nd team in the NFL next week ....the Broncos.

Don't know if it matters, but I wasn't thinking about the D when I said that.

Vinny
08-20-2006, 01:51 AM
that little espn football L1 juke move Morency laid on that defender on the pass to the flat before halftime had the crowd ooooohhhhhing and aaaahhhhing

tsip
08-20-2006, 02:03 AM
...sure would like to see a verticle passing attack with WR's and others when the starters are in...not going to beat many teams in regular season w/o one IMO

HJam72
08-20-2006, 02:21 AM
...sure would like to see a verticle passing attack with WR's and others when the starters are in...not going to beat many teams in regular season w/o one IMO

That's exactly what I'm talking about. :ok:

phan1
08-20-2006, 02:21 AM
3 main points:

1) Behind DD, Morency is our guy. It shouldn't even be close who's our #2 back. I said in another post that Lundy is nothing more than a serviceable back. DD and Morency are way better than any of our RBs by far IMO.

2) Mario Williams looks like a good rookie. A good step foward after a dissapointing opening game.

3) Buchanon is not going to be a starter once Petey comes back. He's even having trouble haning with Sanders IMO. He's just not as good as our other corners. Just because he was a high draft pick, people "ooh" and "aahh" when he makes a good play and than give him excuses for his bad plays. He is obviously given a double standard, and I'm getting kind of tired of it. Hopefully, he'll be a nickelback and punt returner (assuming Mathis doesn't learn how to catch a punt).

texan279
08-20-2006, 02:25 AM
2 main points:

1) Behind DD, Morency is our guy. It shouldn't even be close who's our #2 back. I said in another post that Lundy is nothing more than a serviceable back. DD and Morency are way better than any of our RBs by far IMO.

2) Mario Williams looks like a good rookie. A good step foward after a dissapointing opening game.

IMO if Morency stays consistent, he should be our starting RB...

HJam72
08-20-2006, 02:27 AM
IMO if Morency stays consistent, he should be our starting RB...

That's my impression at this point too. I don't see DD beating him out, like he would have in the past.

jerek
08-20-2006, 02:43 AM
that little espn football L1 juke move Morency laid on that defender on the pass to the flat before halftime had the crowd ooooohhhhhing and aaaahhhhing

That was sick ... it looked like something you see in a video game and think, "that never happens in a real game."

tsip
08-20-2006, 02:46 AM
That's my impression at this point too. I don't see DD beating him out, like he would have in the past.

Agreed. Even with 'upside' for both, Morency is faster than DD and-as he showed several times tonight-can block--how many times did he take out that LB? IMO, DD and Lundy are similar backs, with blocking their weakness. Those were good camera shots of the effect on Carr when Lundy missed those 2 blocks, while the OL was holding its own. However, all 3 can catch.

phan1
08-20-2006, 02:54 AM
I still think DD should be our starter. His knee situation is a big setback, but I think he has the most intangibles. While he doesn't have breakaway speed like Morency, he does have better hands and is just as quick and elusive as Morency. I just like his "feel" for the game overall, and I think he is a better back overall. Either way, both of them should be getting some major PT.

No way DD is comparable to Lundy IMO. While he isn't much faster, he's a lot quicker and elusive. He always has the ability to make the first guy miss unlike Lundy.

DocBar
08-20-2006, 03:01 AM
My $%^(*&%&^%$#%$&(%(&% satellite didn't get hooked up this past week like it was supposed to, so I had to do the FP thing. Listening to that reminded me WAY too much of last year. Carr seemed to be under constant pressure. Also, the FB seemed to be a worrisome position(listening to radio here..) I really like the couple of big plays we got from the TE position. I had forgotten how crucial that can be to opening up receiving lanes AND running lanes. The secondary looks like it was ate up, but the run D looks solid. TJ's name was mentioned often. How did he look? I also see a lot on Mario looking better. Can you please expound upon that? Peek seems to be getting "it". Brown doesn't. Morency will be the flavor of the week at RB. This might be a "Denver System" symptom. If ANY decent RB can excel in this system, can you really clamor for a certain player to be THE starter? Will there be sufficient substitutions to make that point moot? Do you just root for the guy who has produced lately(a la "what have you done for me lately?)
and relegate everyone else to backup status? How did the LB's look?

HJam72
While he doesn't have breakaway speed like Morency, he does have better hands and is just as quick and elusive as Morency.

Yes, but his blocking sucks to high Heaven. :cool:

tsip
I still think DD should be our starter. His knee situation is a big setback, but I think he has the most intangibles. While he doesn't have breakaway speed like Morency, he does have better hands and is just as quick and elusive as Morency. I just like his "feel" for the game overall, and I think he is a better back overall. Either way, both of them should be getting some major PT.

No way DD is comparable to Lundy IMO. While he isn't much faster, he's a lot quicker and elusive. He always has the ability to make the first guy miss unlike Lundy.

...still,whoever plays, has got to picked up the blitz--something that contributed to sacks in the past that Capers never fixed but Kubiak will...

phan1
08-20-2006, 03:14 AM
Yes, but his blocking sucks to high Heaven. :cool:

Chu that... Can't argue with you there. But hopefully he's done something to fix that. We won't know until he finds his way on the field...

Runner
08-20-2006, 04:46 AM
Sounds like Spencer had a rough go of it with the 1st teamers....Wand's hopes are still alive.

I guess that is why the coaches have Wand first team on the depth chart - he's the better player right now.

It should be no surprise that Spencer needs some seasoning before he can dominate (message board term most associated with Spencer) first string NFL talent like he does the second teamers. He was raw coming into the league. I think it is impressive how far he has come so quickly, but he has a way to go yet. He'll be very good at some point in the future.

Wand did pretty well today - his run blocking was very good, and for the most part his pass blocking was solid. He gave up a couple of pressures but kept engaged with his man. If we would put the preconceived negative connotations* about Wand to the side for a while, he looked like an LT we can be happy with.

* Nice post on this subject right here: http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=26691

TK_Gamer
08-20-2006, 05:01 AM
I guess this is where im suppose to say carr looked like carr and sage is great. In my spaghetti sauce I like sage, and some basil and lil oregano, for quarterback I'll take Carr, thanks though.

AggieTexanFan
08-20-2006, 06:02 AM
How did DeMaco Ryans look?

I notice nothing has been said about him

Aztequila
08-20-2006, 07:25 AM
I started watching after the first quarter, not knowing that the would be playing in CA (Thank you My Network 13!!!) But I didnt see or hear anything about Ryans after that, was he playing?

The player I was most impressed with was Peek though. He was definitely scaring the shiet out of the QBs.

The field goal block by McCleon was pretty sweet too.

Unlike some on the Board, I though P Buchanon looked pretty good out there, especially on the punt returns. He did cost us a touch down after we had them stopped though.

Mario Williams looked pretty good imo, he's coming along rather nicely.

What can I say about Morency...looked great tonight.

Insideop
08-20-2006, 09:03 AM
How did DeMaco Ryans look?

I notice nothing has been said about him

Yep, pretty quiet night for DeMeco. He was credited with 1 tackle. I didn't even notice him out there at all, but I wasn't really trying to focus on him either. I did notice Greenwood looking pretty good on a few plays though. He put a wicked hit on the QB and almost got a sack. Overall, I'd say it was a good game for the team. Still plenty of things to work on, but a good team effort none the less. JMHO! :gotexans1

Texans_Chick
08-20-2006, 10:48 AM
This is the best thread on the board right now. Thanks to everyone for keeping it thoughtful.

Here's my thoughts: "Texans beat Rams 27-20: Reaction (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/08/texans_beat_rams_2720_reaction.html)"

Lots of nice stuff in there, but here's something I thought was particularly interesting:

What the stats don't show is the way Morency ran. He ran with power, making yards when there didn't seem to be anything there. He also ran well in space, making defenders miss.

To put all this running in perspective, last week when the Colts played the Rams, all the Colt running backs rushed for 38 yards. They rushed 16 times for a 2.4 yard average.

The Texans, against the same Ram defense, went 143 yards rushing for a 6.8 yard average. File that away under things that make you say hmmm.

cuppacoffee
08-20-2006, 11:04 AM
I missed the 1st quarter, but my thoughts from then on... :

- Sage Rosenfels was a head scratcher when we picked him up, but not any more. Not only can the guy play, he displays great leadership.

- I want Domanick to get healthy, but only because I like the guy. We're fine with the backs we have now. Morency tore it up tonight and Lundy is giving him plenty of competition.

- The DLine was better tonight. Travis Johnson played well, IMO. We did much better against the run than against the Chiefs.

- Buchanon was a rollercoaster, big ups and downs. It seemed like they wanted to pick on him like he got picked on last season, but he looks better than he did last year so far.

- Carr made some bad decisions, but he played ok overall. Seemed like they went away from the rollout with him somewhat tonight. Andre looks solid.

- Our FB's got to make some plays, and btw Joppru looked alright at FB.

Agree with your post.

I'm also waiting for a Walter sighting. At the time I thought he was a great pickup.

Carr had success last week with the rollouts. I think Kubiak purposefully called the plays that required a pocket,
1) to see if there would be one and
2)to see if Carr would recognize it and take advantage of it.

It's all a work in progress. Kubiak does seem to have a purpose in his playcalling. At this point in time I feel he is more into teaching than in game planning. JMHO though.

:coffee:

BigTimeTexanFan
08-20-2006, 11:18 AM
I am excited about Peek!!! But I was worried he was going to get called for a penalty when he got in that scuffle. Not sure what that was about, but all I saw was Peek slam the other guy in the head. What a great game by him though.

powerfuldragon
08-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Based on that game alone, i'll jump on the Start Sage Rosenfels Bandwagon.

texasguy346
08-20-2006, 12:22 PM
Well Carr definately looked a little off early on tonight, and that can be attributed to the increased pressure that the Rams put on him.

Morrency looked very good. He impressed me in his blitz pickup too.

AJ is AJ.

Weary looked pretty good again. He looks like he's a perfect fit for this system. Honorable mention goes to Drew Hogden. He looked good for the 2nd team, and I think he'll be able to step in for a game or two if Flannagan gets banged up this season.

Lundy still needs to work on his blitz pickup, but the effort is there. He still makes rookie mistakes.

Joppru made a couple of nice catches, but the most notable was the catch he made where he got nailed by the safety over the top. He got up with a bit of a limp and all I could think was "Here we go again". Luckily it didn't look to serious. It's nice to see him out there making plays.

Mario seemed to do well in what I saw of him, but I'll have to review the game later for a closer look.

TJ looks like a guy fighting for his job. That might be because he's fighting for his job. If he keeps that up he'll keep his job, and might win the starting job.

Our defense looked pretty good out there despite all the passing yards it gave up. Keeping pressure on the QB is going to be a must for this defense for it to be successful.

Another point about our defense is that they seem to be reading the play very well. That's all about coaching with a young squad like ours. They didn't seem fooled much. Let's hope that continues.

PBuc looked pretty good out there with the exception of a few plays. One being the PI call that was legit, and the other being late in the game when he seemed to get lazy in coverage allowing an easy reception for one of St Louis' 3rd string WR. The 2nd PI call was ticky tack. There was minimal contact between PBuc and Shaun MacDonald. However, he did appear to grab his shoulder once he'd already tripped. That might have led the ref to believe that it was PI. Either way it was a bad call.

Those are some of my first impressions. After I review the game perhaps I'll find a few things to add or correct.

Runner
08-20-2006, 01:53 PM
Joppru made a couple of nice catches, but the most notable was the catch he made where he got nailed by the safety over the top. He got up with a bit of a limp and all I could think was "Here we go again". Luckily it didn't look to serious. It's nice to see him out there making plays.

Joppru looked pretty fired up out there - talking up our RBs and other players after good plays. It's nice to see some cheerleading and butt slapping going on out there. It's a much better attitude than the hang dog play of last year.

eriadoc
08-20-2006, 02:12 PM
I've seen several posts now stating that Carr made some bad decisions. After initially watching the game, I came away with the impression that Carr looked shaky at the start, but pulled it together once the coaches adjusted to the blitzing. However, I just watched the first couple series again on Tivo and I really don't see bad decisions on Carr's part. To the contrary, I saw good decision-making in bad situations. I have only reviewed up to the overturned tuck rule call, so I'm only speaking to that, but here's what I saw --

1st pass play - incomplete now route/wr screen to AJ. Carr threw this ball just a tad too high, as it really wouldn't have left AJ in the greatest position to make a great play. Nevertheless, it would have been a solid gain if AJ didn't have oven mitts on. He leaped maybe just a few inches, grabbed the ball, brought it in and bounced it off his own chest. Bad play by AJ.

2nd pass play - seven step drop; immediately upon planting his back foot for the seventh step, the blitzer is in his face (Lundy's missed block). Carr tries to scramble away, but the defender does his job. I see no fault with Carr on this play and it even looked like he kept his eyes upfield a bit more than he might have in the past.

3rd pass play - this play is harder to assign blame. The O-line held up well and Carr makes his progression reads well. You can see him checking at least four options before #70 finally gives in and his man collapses into the pocket. Carr dances outside, behind Spencer, and wisely throws the ball at the feet of a covered receiver. Spencer did a fine job of pass pro on this play, by the way.

4th pass play - seven step drop; #72 is losing his battle as Carr is making his drop. With #72's assignment getting to him quickly, Carr has to release the ball sooner than he'd like. Carr kept his eyes downfield, turning to AJ's crossing route as he releases the ball. I think Carr could possibly have placed the ball a bit better, but he also wanted to lead AJ a bit. All in all, a good play by the defense, or a bad play by #72. I guess those of you who are hell-bent on finding bad things about Carr can say he placed the ball poorly. However, this is one of those plays where if we had been on defense and our guys had pressured the QB into throwing early, we'd be lauding the defensive effort. You can't have it both ways.

5th pass play - seven step drop; left tackle doesn't do a great job, but the FB does an even worse job. Carr steps up between the rushing defenders and delivers the screen pass to Lundy. If you watch the LB on the reverse angle, you can tell that Carr/Lundy didn't sell the handoff very well. Those of you who have to fault Carr on every play can point to that if you like.

6th pass play - this is the long screen to Putzier. Carr looks the defense off and then throws to Putzier at just the right time. Well-designed play and perfect execution.

7th pass play - this one got called back because Lundy held. Play-action handoff with a pass to Bennie Joppru. Well-designed play and executed well. Carr sells the play-action better than in the screen to Lundy and Joppru does a nice job. Carr delivers the ball with nice touch as well, which is nice to see. Lundy can't block, ugh.

8th pass play - 5-step or 7-step drop (I forgot to count when I was making notes, but it wasn't a 3-step); slant to AJ. Carr looks to AJ, looks back to mid-field, then back to AJ as he delivers the ball. It seems obvious to me that AJ was the first read and this is something that opposing teams will see on film. Good positive play, but I don't like Carr's placement. It's a bit high and he doesn't lead AJ like you would hope to see. On the other hand, AJ got jammed hard and had to fight early in the route, so that threw off the timing. I'm not sure how much of the placement was on Carr here.

9th pass play - play-action rollout. Lundy does a poor job overall here, but it's good coverage downfield. Lundy's man is charging hard at Carr, who turns on the speed, trying to buy time. Carr wisely throws it away, with no one open.

10th pass play - seven step drop; Carr is making multiple reads. Unblocked blitzer creams Carra s he's delivering ball. I don't see any fault with Carr whatsoever on this play. The Rams showed blitz pre-snap and Carr stood in there making his reads and trusting his protection. Last year, I think we'd have seen happy feet on this play. Negative play, but I liked Carr on this play.

Anyway, I know many of you Tivo the games and re-watch them with a more critical eye, so chime in and comment on my observations. I saw some minor flaws in Carr's game, as noted above, but in those plays, I honestly didn't see one bad decision at all. I'd like to see some better touch on the ball at times and I think his placement could use some precision adjustment, but for the most part, Carr did a good job.

I like what Sage did as well, but I am not going to overlook the pressure that Carr faced for most of the first half, whereas Sage faced next to no pressure. The O-line did a pretty good job with the pressure and it looked like they passed off assignments well, from my limited observations.

threetoedpete
08-20-2006, 02:41 PM
no he isn't, he just looks good on the 2nd team.

You'll see the best 2nd team in the NFL next week ....the Broncos.

Yeah I'm hoping coach K starts 'Ol Sage with the first team and puts this "the second team guy is a better QB than the first team guy" talk where it belongs, file thirteen. It amazes me that guys who are supposed to know better throw this stuff on the board. It wasn't true thrity years ago. It's not true now. Didn't know who, just knew it'd be out there today. IIRC Sage has had acouple of years in this system. I don't know how you can say on the one hand the old regime didn't coach and on another thread...Sage rules. Com'on. We're better than that.

I think P buc's mess ups are just of function of confidence. The first one he had time to look for the ball but didn't execute. He played better than last week. He's still holding back. Don't know why. He'll work himself into a starter befor the bye if he keeps on improving.

Think Wand went back out in front of Spencer. Wand palyed very well. Anyone catch the double block play for Wand ? Mark Spencer down for rookie nerves. Nice problem to have huh ? Two deep at LOT. Who would of thunk it ?

Polk sticks our front line corner back again, I'm personally gonna take a five pound sledge to his knees. That play was just stupid.

I would like an amen from all of you who burried Morency befor he got a crack
at starting Last week. The guy can play.

edo783
08-20-2006, 04:06 PM
I've seen several posts now stating that Carr made some bad decisions. After initially watching the game, I came away with the impression that Carr looked shaky at the start, but pulled it together once the coaches adjusted to the blitzing. However, I just watched the first couple series again on Tivo and I really don't see bad decisions on Carr's part. To the contrary, I saw good decision-making in bad situations. I have only reviewed up to the overturned tuck rule call, so I'm only speaking to that, but here's what I saw --

1st pass play - incomplete now route/wr screen to AJ. Carr threw this ball just a tad too high, as it really wouldn't have left AJ in the greatest position to make a great play. Nevertheless, it would have been a solid gain if AJ didn't have oven mitts on. He leaped maybe just a few inches, grabbed the ball, brought it in and bounced it off his own chest. Bad play by AJ.

2nd pass play - seven step drop; immediately upon planting his back foot for the seventh step, the blitzer is in his face (Lundy's missed block). Carr tries to scramble away, but the defender does his job. I see no fault with Carr on this play and it even looked like he kept his eyes upfield a bit more than he might have in the past.

3rd pass play - this play is harder to assign blame. The O-line held up well and Carr makes his progression reads well. You can see him checking at least four options before #70 finally gives in and his man collapses into the pocket. Carr dances outside, behind Spencer, and wisely throws the ball at the feet of a covered receiver. Spencer did a fine job of pass pro on this play, by the way.

4th pass play - seven step drop; #72 is losing his battle as Carr is making his drop. With #72's assignment getting to him quickly, Carr has to release the ball sooner than he'd like. Carr kept his eyes downfield, turning to AJ's crossing route as he releases the ball. I think Carr could possibly have placed the ball a bit better, but he also wanted to lead AJ a bit. All in all, a good play by the defense, or a bad play by #72. I guess those of you who are hell-bent on finding bad things about Carr can say he placed the ball poorly. However, this is one of those plays where if we had been on defense and our guys had pressured the QB into throwing early, we'd be lauding the defensive effort. You can't have it both ways.

5th pass play - seven step drop; left tackle doesn't do a great job, but the FB does an even worse job. Carr steps up between the rushing defenders and delivers the screen pass to Lundy. If you watch the LB on the reverse angle, you can tell that Carr/Lundy didn't sell the handoff very well. Those of you who have to fault Carr on every play can point to that if you like.

6th pass play - this is the long screen to Putzier. Carr looks the defense off and then throws to Putzier at just the right time. Well-designed play and perfect execution.

7th pass play - this one got called back because Lundy held. Play-action handoff with a pass to Bennie Joppru. Well-designed play and executed well. Carr sells the play-action better than in the screen to Lundy and Joppru does a nice job. Carr delivers the ball with nice touch as well, which is nice to see. Lundy can't block, ugh.

8th pass play - 5-step or 7-step drop (I forgot to count when I was making notes, but it wasn't a 3-step); slant to AJ. Carr looks to AJ, looks back to mid-field, then back to AJ as he delivers the ball. It seems obvious to me that AJ was the first read and this is something that opposing teams will see on film. Good positive play, but I don't like Carr's placement. It's a bit high and he doesn't lead AJ like you would hope to see. On the other hand, AJ got jammed hard and had to fight early in the route, so that threw off the timing. I'm not sure how much of the placement was on Carr here.

9th pass play - play-action rollout. Lundy does a poor job overall here, but it's good coverage downfield. Lundy's man is charging hard at Carr, who turns on the speed, trying to buy time. Carr wisely throws it away, with no one open.

10th pass play - seven step drop; Carr is making multiple reads. Unblocked blitzer creams Carra s he's delivering ball. I don't see any fault with Carr whatsoever on this play. The Rams showed blitz pre-snap and Carr stood in there making his reads and trusting his protection. Last year, I think we'd have seen happy feet on this play. Negative play, but I liked Carr on this play.

Anyway, I know many of you Tivo the games and re-watch them with a more critical eye, so chime in and comment on my observations. I saw some minor flaws in Carr's game, as noted above, but in those plays, I honestly didn't see one bad decision at all. I'd like to see some better touch on the ball at times and I think his placement could use some precision adjustment, but for the most part, Carr did a good job.

I like what Sage did as well, but I am not going to overlook the pressure that Carr faced for most of the first half, whereas Sage faced next to no pressure. The O-line did a pretty good job with the pressure and it looked like they passed off assignments well, from my limited observations.

Good post Doc. Thanks for the time you took to do it.

Ibar_Harry
08-20-2006, 04:26 PM

Certainly a different perspective than Vinny and others. Thanks!! This is going to be a very good ball club we will just have to wait and see what happens. When Kubiak says its time to bench Carr, then I will be happy to say its time. If you listen to what he says, he likes his players to pull up their boot straps and get it on when the going gets rough. That's exactly what Carr did. It wasn't pretty in the beginning, but he kept on going and we did have a lead at half time.

Vinny
08-20-2006, 04:47 PM
Certainly a different perspective than Vinny and others. Thanks!! .Here is one from Coach Kubiak...

"I told David that the Rams have an aggressive defense, and when they come after us, he's got to make those plays," Kubiak said. "I felt there were seven or eight times when we could have made plays. - Kubiak
7 or 8 times? 7 or 8? That's quite a few blown opportunities where you guys see 'good decisions'.

eriadoc
08-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Here is one from Coach Kubiak...

7 or 8 times? 7 or 8? That's quite a few blown opportunities where you guys see 'good decisions'.

I read that quote as well and my initial impression is that he's using a little motivational speak to get Carr in the right mindset. There might have been seven or eight opportunities where "we" = the team, as opposed to Carr individually. As for how that pertains to Carr individually, I don't see many opportunities for him to have done a better job up to the point that I stated above. I'm not saying he did things completely correct and I am certainly open to the idea that he did, in fact, make bad decisions. I just want to know what they are. If you have specific comments regarding my post above, I'd love to gain your insight. If you're hanging your assessment on Kubiak's commemnts, that's fine too. He has access to the coach film, we don't.

Vinny
08-20-2006, 05:07 PM
I think our offense looks completely different when other QB's come in. Carr throws nothing but short safe passes and when forced to throw downfield he struggles. Most of his yardage was yac yesterday, but this is common for a Carr led offense. Carr looks good when everything is perfect, but once he has to find secondary receivers or improvise he is one of the worst starters in the league. Let me ask you, how did he do on 3rd downs yesterday?

eriadoc
08-20-2006, 05:20 PM
I think our offense looks completely different when other QB's come in. Carr throws nothing but short safe passes and when forced to throw downfield he struggles. Most of his yardage was yac yesterday, but this is common for a Carr led offense. Carr looks good when everything is perfect, but once he has to find secondary receivers or improvise he is one of the worst starters in the league. Let me ask you, how did he do on 3rd downs yesterday?

I didn't note the down and distance on the plays above, so I can't say how Carr as an individual did on 3rd downs yesterday, but I know the team was 0/5 at one pooint, which is abysmal. And I see what you're saying about the short, safe passes; it would be nice to see some downfield action. However, I point out again, from above, that I can find no decision-making issues with the plays I reviewed. I haven't gotten around to watching after the tuck call, as the wife is monopolizing the Tivo. The tuck play looked like it was going to be a downfield pass and the one where he read four deep and danced out of the pocket looked like he was looking for something downfield. The Putzier, Joppru, and incomplete AJ drag route all look like he was going to his first read. The dump-off to Lundy looks like he stepped into the pocket and abandoned any attempt to look downfield. On the other hand, he knows that's a positive play and potentially a big gainer, so I don't see how that classifies as a bad decision.

After thinking about it, I concede that Carr could possibly have stepped into the pocket on the sack, but that doesn't absolve the back from fault. The AJ slant was a first-read play, from what I could see.

Like I said, I haven't seen any bad decisions by Carr, except maybe the sack, I'll concede. I haven't seen anything that wows me, either, which I think is what a lot of people are trying to say. That concerns me, but if Kubiak is putting him out there, then I'll trust what he's doing. If Carr does something to show he's incapable at the QB position in this offense, I do think Kubiak will plug in Sage and move on, and I am OK with that. I just think a lot of people have an agenda here and tend not to look at the situation as objectively as possible.

As you've stated in the past, it would be helpful to have coaches tape.

Hulk75
08-20-2006, 05:21 PM
Now let me ask you something did you happen to see how they the rams were playing us yesterday?

Other then Blitzing plays, both Corners and Safteys were DEEEEEP. Do you people really think there are Big Plays open everytime you take a deep drop? Do you really think big plays are just there when ever we want them.

As for making plays with his feet if things break down, he is not one of the worst in the league gimmie a break okay, I can think of numorus times the guy has made plays when things break down. They acctually showed a couple on the team highlight film on ESPN.

You will not drag this guy through the mud and tell how bad he is, cause he is not.

10-17 100 yards- AND this is without even a game plan, they are not putting in gameplans right now, all they are doing is running plays.

Love it, throws NOTHING but short safe passes.........Yea, your right.:rolleyes:

And how long have you been watching football? You do know the backups for each team come in after the STARTERS come out right, so you do further know the talents drops off pretty good.

Vinny
08-20-2006, 05:28 PM
0-5 was the 3rd down total:

3-23-HOU32 (13:48) D.Carr pass short left to W.Lundy to HST 45 for 13 yards (W.Witherspoon).

3-10-HOU29 (9:37) D.Carr pass incomplete short right to A.Johnson.

3-11-STL19 (3:24) D.Carr sacked at SL 28 for -9 yards (C.Chavous). FUMBLES (C.Chavous), touched at SL 28, RECOVERED by SL-C.Chavous at SL 30. C.Chavous to SL 41 for 11 yards (F.Weary). Play Challenged by HST and REVERSED. D.Carr pass incomplete short left to A.Johnson [C.Chavous].

3-7-HOU42 (13:52) D.Carr pass incomplete short right to A.Johnson.

3-7-HOU35 (4:44) D.Carr pass incomplete short left to A.Johnson (D.Groce).

http://nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay/NFL_20060819_HOU@STL

Hulk75
08-20-2006, 05:28 PM

GREAT JOB..............I am tired off having to beat off people that dont take their time to watch the game like my guy here did, and just start saying Carr sucks, blah blah blah.

Sticky this to the front of the message board so everyone can see it.

Did Carr play well yea he did, does he have things to work on sure, SO DOES EVERYONE!

infantrycak
08-20-2006, 06:11 PM
Had know idea that my Vince Young post was not up for debate.........Wow! touchy subject.

It isn't that it isn't up for debate--just that it is a subject for another thread.

nunusguy
08-20-2006, 06:54 PM
So far, Sage is definitely more impressive in Kubiaks WCO than Carr.
Mario had that nice little play on the RB behind the los, but otherwise he's still
most impressive as a workout warrior who wowed us all at the Indy Combine.
The star down lineman performer was clearly Peek.
Morency's performance was remakable: outside of Edgerrin James can't remember when I've seen a RB pick up blitzs like he did. Plus he's clearly
more explosive than DD ever was and Morency also has good basic sprint speed. I believe he also caught a couple passes, so he's obviously a very capable RB who ultimately could be an upgrade over DD.
P-Burnt impressed on his punt returns, but got burnt again on pass defense, once by his own play and once by the ref.

jdog
08-20-2006, 07:57 PM
First off with the qb position

carr needs to chill out, for some reason he seems nervous when he is in the pocket, (from past experience 76 sacks) need to relax and have fun his line is way better than last year, or he will be on the bubble, rosefelts is a good back up,,

the reciver that stood out too me as lewis that guy is crazy, love that catch and celebration..

The D was good but still need to improve i liked mario in his tackles for loss plays and peeks sacks wow that man is a beast.

but i love the winning attitude keep it up:redtowel: :redtowel: :redtowel: :yahoo:

Interesting comparison between Morency and Tomlinson because I read a report on Morency when he entered the draft that compared him to Tomlinson when he entered the league. Did you know that Morency played pro baseball (outfield) after high school before playing RB at Oklahoma State?

The Pencil Neck
08-20-2006, 10:22 PM
Let me ask you, how did he do on 3rd downs yesterday?

How did the entire team do on 3rd downs? We converted 1, right? That's not a problem of just DC's.

Runner
08-20-2006, 10:26 PM
How did the entire team do on 3rd downs? We converted 1, right? That's not a problem of just DC's.

It is a problem if you expect one of your most highly compensated players to be a difference maker.

TexanFanInCC
08-20-2006, 11:09 PM
Wali Lundy is a rookie. He's a good fit for this system but he's still a rookie.

Vinny was on to something where Vernand Morency is concerned. He looked a lot like vintage Domanick Davis to me tonight only faster. If he keeps this up Domanick Davis will be a 3rd down back again.

Dave Ragone is much better fit for the Rams offense than he was for the one we were running. He was an even worse fit for the one we run now. He still looks awkward to me though.

Ok, maybe Taylor can be a beast.

Mario Williams looked like a highly regarded rookie this week which is nice.

David Carr made what appeared to me to be some very bad decisions. He pulled out of it in the 2nd quarter but I was nervous until we reached the half.

This (2-0 in the preseason and looking like they care) is an immense improvement over years past.

i agree that mario looked steady. he is a heads up player, and he made a heads up play to block the pass. he also put great pressure on bulger on one play where he was back in his own endzone.

im worried about kris brown. missing 33 yarders is inexuseable. i thought we was missing em on purpose last season to help us get bush (or the number 1 pick) but he has missed 2 already and they havent been tough ones either.

vernand morency was VERY good...im talking starters quality. he was running the way you need to run in this system, and it produced neary 100 yards on 11 carries and 2 tds. on top of that, he was awesome in pass protection, picking up major blocks. he needed a game like this. more games like this in the preseason and i would lock him in as the starter if davis isnt healthy.

the run defense was pretty dang solid. the entire d-line played wonderful.

Wolf
08-20-2006, 11:30 PM
not making excuses just a statement, but I wonder how much "vanilla" where we expecting?

Coordinator Jim Haslett showed once again that vanilla no longer is the flavor of the Rams defense. Linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa spoiled Houston's first possession with a 14-yard sack of David Carr. And strong safety Corey Chavous appeared to have forced a fumble with a sack of Carr on the Texans' next possession. But Houston challenged via instant replay and the call was overturned, with the pass being ruled incomplete.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/8B9A227CE93DAE58862571D000134963?OpenDocument

(On seeing similarities between Head Coach Gary Kubiak’s Texans and his previous Broncos team in the season opener) “We’ve talked about that, but they aren’t going to do anything different than what they’ve always done in preseason at Denver. It’s going to be pretty vanilla on their side and it’s not like we’re going to do any multiple things on our side. Although we’re working some things defensively a little bit because that is our defense. I think it’s just playing football, two teams playing football. I don’t think there’s anything that’s going to affect us for our opener. It will be pretty much the same system, which will be good to see how we respond to it.”

(On the defense’s identity) “I think their identity will come into place in the next couple of weeks. That’s something that we talked about in the off season. We’ve got to build an identity. What are we? What kind of team are we going to be? Are we going to be an up the field run-around team that can only play with a lead? Or can you stick in there when someone’s going to try to grind it on you? That’s what we’re going to find out here in the next couple of weeks. I like what I’ve seen so far. I think they’re a bunch of tough minded individuals, they’re smart. Obviously, we know we’re fast. We threw a lot at them. We got a lot of defense in; we’re going into the game with 64 blitzes and they handled them extremely well. We were pulling them out of a hat last week. I think that’s what we are. I want to find out what we’re going to do when teams are going to pound the ball on us. I think we’ll at least have an idea this week.”

http://www.stlouisrams.com/article/56250/

HJam72
08-21-2006, 01:09 AM
1st pass play - incomplete now route/wr screen to AJ. Carr threw this ball way too high, as it really wouldn't have left AJ in the greatest position to make a great play.

2nd pass play - seven step drop; not one step to the right or left to avoid the rush coming right at him.

3rd pass play - this play is harder to assign blame. The O-line held up well and Carr makes his progression reads well for once. You can see him checking an option before #70 finally gives in and his man collapses into the pocket. Carr dances around and throws the ball at the feet of a receiver who wasn't even open. Spencer did a fine job of pass protection on this play, by the way.

4th pass play - Carr kept his eyes on AJ, looking to AJ's crossing route as he releases the ball. I think Carr could have placed the ball a lot better, but he also wanted to lead AJ a bit. All in all, a good play by the defense, or a bad play by Carr. I guess those of you who are hell-bent on finding bad things about Carr can say he placed the ball poorly, like I just did.

5th pass play - seven step drop. Carr steps up between the rushing defenders and delivers the screen pass to Lundy. If you watch the LB on the reverse angle, you can tell that Carr/Lundy didn't sell the handoff very well. Those of you who have to fault Carr on every play can point to that if you like. Kubiak certainly will because selling the hand-offs is extremely important in this offense.

6th pass play - this is the long screen to Putzier. Carr looks the defense off and then throws to Putzier at just the right time. Well-designed play and easy execution.

8th pass play - 5-step or 7-step drop (I forgot to count when I was making notes, but it wasn't a 3-step); slant to AJ. Carr looks to AJ, looks back to mid-field, where AJ is going, then back to AJ as he delivers the ball. It seems obvious to me that AJ was the first (and only) read and this is something that opposing teams will see on film. Good positive play, but I don't like Carr's placement. It's a bit high and he doesn't lead AJ like you would hope to see. On the other hand, AJ got jammed hard and had to fight early in the route, so that threw off the timing, but Carr still focused on AJ at the start, where AJ was headed, and on AJ's present state as he threw the ball to AJ. You'd never know that AJ was on his mind. I'm not sure how much of the placement was on Carr here. It's got to be AJ's fault.

9th pass play - play-action rollout. Lundy does a poor job overall here, but it's good coverage downfield. Lundy's man is charging hard at Carr, who turns on the speed, trying to buy time. Carr wisely throws it away, instead of running for positive yardage.

10th pass play - seven step drop; Carr is making multiple reads of AJ and where AJ is going. Unblocked blitzer creams Carr as he's delivering ball. I don't see any fault with Carr whatsoever on this play. The Rams showed blitz pre-snap and Carr stood in there, didn't adjust the play or his actions, making his reads and trusting his protection, like an idiot. Last year, I think we'd have seen happy feet on this play. Negative play, but I liked Carr on this play.

I think Carr needs to concentrate more on AJ.

PS-Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :)