PDA

View Full Version : Phillip Buchanon

TexanSam
08-19-2006, 11:36 PM
I'm surprised a thread hasn't been started about him. He looked impressive today. He looked very good on punt returns and he didn't look too shabby as a CB. He wasn't mind-blowing, but I think he played well enough to earn a starting spot next week opposite Dunta Robinson. He didn't look like the Buchanon from last year, IMO. Out of the two pass interference penalties, I think one was totally bogus. Buch not turning around during one of the throws is his fault, but the guy falling in the endzone wasn't because Buchanon pushed him.

texan279
08-19-2006, 11:38 PM
yeah, that 2nd pass interference was a horrible call, the receiver fell clear as day

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-19-2006, 11:38 PM
Definitely looked better than McCleon.

Brandon420tx
08-19-2006, 11:39 PM
I read he forced a fumble or 2, and did good on punt returns, I have to go through and read the gameday thread.

BattleRedRaider
08-19-2006, 11:40 PM
Best start PBuch has had as a Texan.

ccdude730
08-19-2006, 11:43 PM
I read he forced a fumble or 2, and did good on punt returns, I have to go through and read the gameday thread.
forced a fumble, recovered by a ram

recovered a fumble at the start of the 3rd

TexanSam
08-19-2006, 11:43 PM

I forgot about that. He did force a fumble. It's kind of like what Derrick Johnson does. He hit the ball out of the recievers hands by swinging around I think. Unfortunately, when the ball came out it rolled about 5 or 10 yards upfield and the Rams gained even more yardage. But it was a good play, just dumb luck that the ball managed to help the Rams more than hurt them.

Brandon420tx
08-19-2006, 11:44 PM
Thankyou, I was gone during the game so I'm just getting the information right now.

Hervoyel
08-19-2006, 11:45 PM
His first pass interference penalty was all Phillip. The second one was total BS and it seemed to me that the Rams QB's spent the rest of the game trying to pick on Buchanon but really didn't accomplish all that much. I thought he did good for the most part.

Mike Kerns
08-20-2006, 03:46 AM
I thought he sure looked good returning those punts...

AFD1717
08-20-2006, 12:08 PM
You guys seem a little more encouraged than I am. I think it was the Radio Broadcast that called him "Big Play" because every time he is on the field there is a big play going one direction or the other. He showed some flashes, but what was discouraging for me was when he made mistakes that didn't require hm to hit anybody. I've come to grips with the fact that he will never be physical, but turning around to look at the ball instead of face guarding the WR is just basic football. If he is going to be a pure cover corner, he needs to get a lot more polished in his ability to cover.

Malloy
08-20-2006, 12:14 PM
If he is going to be a pure cover corner, he needs to get a lot more polished in his ability to cover.

Fortunately that's what training camp is ALL about :)

powerfuldragon
08-20-2006, 12:14 PM
His first pass interference penalty was all Phillip. The second one was total BS and it seemed to me that the Rams QB's spent the rest of the game trying to pick on Buchanon but really didn't accomplish all that much. I thought he did good for the most part.
agreed, plus he returned punts like they were bad wedding presents.

AFD1717
08-20-2006, 12:20 PM
Fortunately that's what training camp is ALL about :)
He's been around long enough to be better than he is. He is an athlete that happens to line up at CB. The guy missed his calling as a WR. He could have had a long career as a Todd Pinkston type.

ccdude730
08-20-2006, 12:23 PM
He's been around long enough to be better than he is. He is an athlete that happens to line up at CB. The guy missed his calling as a WR. He could have had a long career as a Todd Pinkston type.
what did he do wrong yesterday besides the 1 play where he did not look for the ball?

and knowing hoke, he heard it on the sidelines

AFD1717
08-20-2006, 12:35 PM
I guess I should slow down before I dig myself a hole I can't get out of.

I had to listen to the second half on the radio and the guys on Fan Feedback after the game spent the whole first segment talking about how the Rams' WRs were taking turns picking on Buchanon. They also went into the whether or not he was worth keeping on the team purely as a punt returner because he is a "Lame Duck at CB" (their words - not mine). Was I the only one who heard all that? They probably spent 10 minutes bashing him.

That is why I was suprised to see so much love for the guy, but since I don't have any specifics, I'll bow out.

OzzO
08-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Definitely looked better than McCleon.

Agree. Though not giving up the big play, Dexter seemed to be burned quite often on receptions. As for PB - overall, not too bad. Yeah, there was that one definite interference call when the Rams went for it on 4th and 3, but otherwise a decent overall game.

Can't put the other call on him, as others noted, the refs gave the rams that one.

infantrycak
08-20-2006, 12:43 PM
The guys on Fan Feedback should be the lame ducks. In any event--McLeon was exploited much much more than Buchanon yesterday. Buchanon showed much improved physical play redirecting a WR at the line of scrimmage and in his tackling. He stayed far tighter to his man than Mcleon who was repeatedly well away.

ccdude730
08-20-2006, 12:46 PM
I guess I should slow down before I dig myself a hole I can't get out of.

I had to listen to the second half on the radio and the guys on Fan Feedback after the game spent the whole first segment talking about how the Rams' WRs were taking turns picking on Buchanon. They also went into the whether or not he was worth keeping on the team purely as a punt returner because he is a "Lame Duck at CB" (their words - not mine). Was I the only one who heard all that? They probably spent 10 minutes bashing him.

That is why I was suprised to see so much love for the guy, but since I don't have any specifics, I'll bow out.
little bit of love, but just a pleasant surprise. he was jamming receivers, closing in good, and returning punts like it was nobodys business.

i cant see why they would actually bash him that much. IIRC he only allowed 2 receptions last night on whoever he was covering

Smash_Mouth_Mario
08-20-2006, 02:22 PM
Run Buchanon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9ZhnhTyLUQ

a3dtot
08-20-2006, 02:54 PM
what did he do wrong yesterday besides the 1 play where he did not look for the ball?

and knowing hoke, he heard it on the sidelines
No question about his ability to return. The only questions I still have are his ability to cover consistently.

rockabilly
08-20-2006, 02:58 PM
I think PBUCH is gonna be jsut fine. He looked great out there. He is trying to make plays....unfortunatly the ref stole one from him. He was solid last night even with that one REAL interference call.

K.D.
08-20-2006, 04:39 PM
The guys on Fan Feedback should be the lame ducks. In any event--McLeon was exploited much much more than Buchanon yesterday. Buchanon showed much improved physical play redirecting a WR at the line of scrimmage and in his tackling. He stayed far tighter to his man than Mcleon who was repeatedly well away.

I totally agree. McLeon was totally exploited and showed his age. Buchanon was picked on thru-out the game and pretty much held his own, aside from the 1 P.I. call. He knows that he has to prove his worth as a CB and not just as a punt returner. He should get consideration of starting next week opposite of D-Rob against the Broncos.

P.S.
The blocked field goal try by McLeon was pretty cool though!!!:cool:

Mr. White
08-20-2006, 05:10 PM
P-Buc did everything that was asked of him. I'm looking for big things from him this year.

TransplantTexan1
08-20-2006, 05:51 PM
While I won't yet say that P-Buch is gonna be fine, I did see a guy who covered the short passes well, showed very good reaction, tackled well, showed toughness and a lot more confidence than in Capers's zone-blitz scheme from last year. I still have concerns about his tendency to allow the receiver to get a step and a half on him on pass plays going beyond 15 yards. Even with that, he had a chance to make a play on the ball on the first past INT call and didn't read the pass or receiver well. The second PI call was horrible and a bad break for Phillip.

In short, if Phil can maybe improve his technique on the deep posts, fades and slant-ins, he'll be very solid and a solid competitor for the second starting corner.

McCleon was the opposite. Didn't look all that great on the short pass defense, especially crosses, but he tackled well and defended the deeper passes better.

NoBullTexan
08-20-2006, 06:01 PM
P-Buch will never be known for his tackling ability, so we might as well get used to it. As for his coverage skills, that one where he was obviously faceguarding the receiver was pretty inexcusable, seeing as he is a 4th year player. We have what we have, and I for one think the punt returns and the rest of the work he did as a CB deserve a little more inspection. Hopefully he will show more conentration on the ball once the season starts.

edo783
08-20-2006, 06:09 PM
Sounds to me like PBuc is making a real effort to get better and it's showing. Might wind up being a real player by the time Kubes and group get done with him.

bayoudreamn
08-20-2006, 06:19 PM
I forgot about that. He did force a fumble. It's kind of like what Derrick Johnson does. He hit the ball out of the recievers hands by swinging around I think. Unfortunately, when the ball came out it rolled about 5 or 10 yards upfield and the Rams gained even more yardage. But it was a good play, just dumb luck that the ball managed to help the Rams more than hurt them.

It helped them on that play, but the rams were very aggressive early and careless. As long as they were getting away with it, they kept it up. That play and others that followed forced them to play more within themselves. It always evens out....the breaks.

Smash_Mouth_Mario
08-20-2006, 10:12 PM
P-Buch will never be known for his tackling ability, so we might as well get used to it. As for his coverage skills, that one where he was obviously faceguarding the receiver was pretty inexcusable, seeing as he is a 4th year player. We have what we have, and I for one think the punt returns and the rest of the work he did as a CB deserve a little more inspection. Hopefully he will show more conentration on the ball once the season starts.

We'll definitely have to draft a top-pick CB next year. PB is fast. He's active. And a very good special team guy. He can play CB sometimes w/out the bone-head plays. But I really don't like the idea of having to count on a 5'10" CB guarding 6'2" or taller WRs.