PDA

View Full Version : Mario

Ironist
08-19-2006, 09:59 PM
Did he do anything at all during hit time on the field? Has there at least been a flash or two of brilliance? I know we have to be patient with him...but when you get someone 6-7, 295 pounds and the kind of shape he's in, you should feel their presence immediately...whether they're dominating or not.

I understand he's a rookie, but a guy like that should make his presence known immediately.

Btw, is he playing at LE or RE? I know he's (now) weak side, but what side is that? (The side the TE is not on, I know...) but what side is he listed at? I guess I was hoping he'd be a dominant LE like he was in college.

the wonger need food
08-19-2006, 10:03 PM
Did he do anything at all during hit time on the field? Has there at least been a flash or two of brilliance? I know we have to be patient with him...but when you get someone 6-7, 295 pounds and the kind of shape he's in, you should feel their presence immediately...whether they're dominating or not.

I understand he's a rookie, but a guy like that should make his presence known immediately.

Btw, is he playing at LE or RE? I know he's (now) weak side, but what side is that? (The side the TE is not on, I know...) but what side is he listed at? I guess I was hoping he'd be a dominant LE like he was in college.

He had a tackle in the backfield, knocked down a pass and got good pressure on a few plays. The Rams had 17 yards rushing in the first half in large part due to the front 7 which he is a part of. I'd say he did okay. Not great, but okay.

BradK10
08-19-2006, 10:05 PM
He was lined up next to Peek on Peek's two sacks. He's making the other guys better.

Ironist
08-19-2006, 10:22 PM
I know he makes the others better...but there will come a point that we wont be able to say that anymore...

I mean, (and Im not saying this will happen), if Mario is held sackless while everyone else on the line notches 10+ for the season, can we REALLY say their success was from a guy who has dismal stats?

I'm not saying he wont produce...I love the pick and I feel he is an awesome talent...But maybe Peek makes Mario better as well? Have we thought of that? Can we really just assume he's making them better, and not them helping him?

BigDTexansFan
08-19-2006, 10:29 PM
I know he makes the others better...but there will come a point that we wont be able to say that anymore...

I mean, (and Im not saying this will happen), if Mario is held sackless while everyone else on the line notches 10+ for the season, can we REALLY say their success was from a guy who has dismal stats?

I'm not saying he wont produce...I love the pick and I feel he is an awesome talent...But maybe Peek makes Mario better as well? Have we thought of that? Can we really just assume he's making them better, and not them helping him?

Maybe we can assume that fantasy football is REAL and NFL is just a game...or maybe governemnt really is our friend and really wants to help us.

:shoot:

BradK10
08-19-2006, 10:30 PM

i get what you're sayin, but 2 games into the preseason is not the time for talk like that

LBC_Justin
08-19-2006, 10:40 PM

Julius Peppers only had sacks in 1 game out of his first several games(5 or 6 games i believe). Personally I root for the team, not for individual players.(otherwise I would be an NBA fan). So if he makes the Texans better, frankly I don't care.

regarding your last comment. Have you seen the guy?

right now he is learning all of his mental assignments. once that is in order, he will be able to unleash his full athletic ability on the other teams.

cbnjwill
08-19-2006, 10:52 PM
mario was decent in his second game made a play behind the line for a loss. all you can do is hope the guy gets better every game and turns into a bigtime player. peek was the man tonite the guy was all over the field even when he didnt get a sack on one play he chased down the qb from the other side of the field. just get that guy out there on every passing down and let him do his thing

Smash_Mouth_Mario
08-19-2006, 11:21 PM

And, are we at that point now?

edo783
08-19-2006, 11:26 PM
Peek got two sacks tonight when he was lined up next to Mario. A good question would be, how much did Mario help cause him to get them. My guess would be that he had to have had some effect of some sort.

The Pencil Neck
08-20-2006, 01:13 AM

And are we even close to being anywhere near that point?

I'm thinking mebbe not.

veazeyt
08-20-2006, 01:18 AM
He had two really good plays:

One where he was double teamed but he threw his big chicken wing in the air and batted down a ball.

Right after there was a run play, where he penetrated through the line and stopped the RB for a 3 yard loss. My count is, he actaully got 2 tackles or 1.5 tackles.

And yes, whenever Peeked lined up next to him, Peek terrorized the opposing QB.

Smash_Mouth_Mario
08-20-2006, 01:21 AM
And yes, whenever Peeked lined up next to him, Peek terrorized the opposing QB.

(Peak) :bowser: :francis: (typical QB with "concerned" look on his face)

phan1
08-20-2006, 02:07 AM
While Mario didn't blow me away, he played just about what I would expect from a good rookie DE. A much better performance than last week's. But than again, you don't get a much better Oline than the one KC has...

O'Ryan
08-20-2006, 02:07 AM
sounds great...

TexanBacker93
08-20-2006, 02:10 AM
He was lined up next to Peek on Peek's two sacks. He's making the other guys better.

On one of those Peek sacks you can see Mario just driving the guard back. He's going to get better and better as his technique gets better. He's also basically learning 3 positions right now. That's going to slow him up a little, but McNabb beware.

Scooter
08-20-2006, 02:21 AM
i havent had a chance to disect the game yet (next time i go partying i will), but mario looked improved. not great, but more comfortable. i didnt really pay much attention to individual players, however the few times he caught my eye, he still seemed more concerned about the blockers than the play. that isnt necessarily a bad thing considering it's preseason ... if he's being coached to work on assignment and technique (his biggest weakness) then he's doing great. he did however have a respectable game statistically despite not ending up with 15 sacks ... i counted 2 assists, 1 solo tackle for loss, and 1 batted ball. not a bad day considering he only played the first half.

jmerog
08-20-2006, 06:41 AM

haha.

Aztequila
08-20-2006, 06:54 AM
I thought mario played well this game. He did help Peek out. The only play I saw that made me jump out at him was when peek deflected the pass and instead of picking the ball he just let it drop right in front of him. But hey the pressure was there and I was proud of my team tonight, they were on the verge of losing momentum a few times, and I think they responded well.

CoachJim
08-20-2006, 07:32 AM
Mario played like a rookie in his 2nd preseason game. I'm a betting man & I'd be willing to wager that if you looked up similar highly drafted DEs stats in their respective 1st games as a pro, you'd find that they had similar games. I'm no stat guru but I don't remember any player going off as a rookie & taking over their DL from the word GO ... JMHMFO.:twocents:

baba ganoush
08-20-2006, 09:08 PM
mario hasnt been living up to his 1st overall pick, he was shut down his first game and didnt add much his second game...by the way i also think antwan peek should be starting over babin and our linebackers should be set with demeco in the middle orr and greenwood on the outside

Jwwillis
08-20-2006, 09:14 PM
mario hasnt been living up to his 1st overall pick, he was shut down his first game and didnt add much his second game...by the way i also think antwan peek should be starting over babin and our linebackers should be set with demeco in the middle orr and greenwood on the outside

What stats does a rookie DE have to have after 2 preseason games to be worthy of YOUR#1 pick?

DreDaMan05
08-20-2006, 11:10 PM
Based on what you seen, do you think Mario can have an affect on the

game like Julius Peppers or maybe worsr or better? :mario: :mario:

Marcus
08-20-2006, 11:16 PM
Based on what you seen, do you think Mario can have an affect on the game like Julius Peppers or maybe worsr or better? :mario: :mario:
Yes.

(I know. I get long-winded sometimes)

jdog
08-20-2006, 11:20 PM

I think it is too early to tell, but the comparison has been made.

I like what Anthony Weaver said in his blog. Basically, he said Mario Williams has amazing natural gifts, but he needs to improve his technique.

In other words, he's a rookie, but the potential is there.

Plus, right now the coaching staff is putting him through the works and seeing what he can handle. This is probably keeping from making great strides in his technique for now, but it is so early in the process.

My guess is that Mario Williams will be a top defensive talent in four years. I hope this doesn't end up on the "What I was wrong about..." thread.

Smash_Mouth_Mario
08-20-2006, 11:22 PM

Mario is raw power and speed right now. He lacks technique. Stay tuned...

Marcus...LOL!

DocBar
08-20-2006, 11:23 PM
Based on 2 preseason games and a handful of practices? I doubt anyone can predict anything from that. And what, exactly, has JP done that has turned the world on it's ear? I hope he turns out to be a lot better than that. He has a 1 season grace period to get up to NFL speed with me. Ask this question in a year and you might get some reasonable responses.
:cowboy1:

wicked_wayz
08-21-2006, 12:09 AM

after 2 preseason games u call him a bust??????????????