PDA

View Full Version : Chronicle article on strongside DE Weaver

nunusguy
08-19-2006, 10:33 AM
"Weaver, who was the first free agent the Texans pursued vigorously, has been outstanding since he came to Houston from Baltimore. The coaches moved him inside, where he has been terrific. They want to move him outside to his natural strongside end position, where he may be able to excel."
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4127521.html
This was one of my initial reservations about taking Mario, since our top FA
acquisition this year, who has become one of our best defensive players,
plays the same natural position as Mario.

BigDTexansFan
08-19-2006, 10:51 AM
"Weaver, who was the first free agent the Texans pursued vigorously, has been outstanding since he came to Houston from Baltimore. The coaches moved him inside, where he has been terrific. They want to move him outside to his natural strongside end position, where he may be able to excel."
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4127521.html
This was one of my initial reservations about taking Mario, since our top FA
acquisition this year, who has become one of our best defensive players,
plays the same natural position as Mario.

Richard Smith Defensive Coordinator says Mario lines up RDE, LDE, RDT, LDT, Mario is all over the place. They want teams to have a hard time keeping track of Mario. I like this as we know Mario will disrupt offensive line and with Weaver we have a 1-2 punch that allows other 2 (DT & DE) to get some shots:shades: :shades:

Bamaborn-Texasbred
08-19-2006, 11:04 AM
I think this whole team is going to be so multidimensional that I'll have to start bringing the binoculars again. I'll need them to see just where everyone is lining up for plays.

The way Capers and co. were running things, the binoculars seemed like a waste of time and energy. The formations could be counted on hand and the number of plays from each formation could be counted on one as well. I got so tired of watching screens to DD and quick throws to AJ on the line scrimmage I didn't know what to do.

GP
08-19-2006, 11:29 AM
I think this whole team is going to be so multidimensional that I'll have to start bringing the binoculars again. I'll need them to see just where everyone is lining up for plays.

The way Capers and co. were running things, the binoculars seemed like a waste of time and energy. The formations could be counted on hand and the number of plays from each formation could be counted on one as well. I got so tired of watching screens to DD and quick throws to AJ on the line scrimmage I didn't know what to do.

Exactly.

When I re-watched the game on my DVR...I had to rewind it over and over to see who was playing, and where.

I think we'll see St. Louis come out and try to use a no-huddle to disrupt our rotations...because that's the strength of our team: The ability to cycle in more fresh legs.

AND, I think that's also a key on our offense, too: Cycling in-and-out the WRs, the RBs, and the TEs...we're going to be fresher deeper into the games than other teams that MUST field their top players the whole way through.

Bamaborn-Texasbred
08-19-2006, 11:39 AM
Exactly.

When I re-watched the game on my DVR...I had to rewind it over and over to see who was playing, and where.

I think we'll see St. Louis come out and try to use a no-huddle to disrupt our rotations...because that's the strength of our team: The ability to cycle in more fresh legs.

AND, I think that's also a key on our offense, too: Cycling in-and-out the WRs, the RBs, and the TEs...we're going to be fresher deeper into the games than other teams that MUST field their top players the whole way through.

It helps to have plenty of gas in the fourth quarter. The Texans fizzled late many times the last few years.

beerlover
08-19-2006, 11:43 AM
This was one of my initial reservations about taking Mario, since our top FA acquisition this year, who has become one of our best defensive players, plays the same natural position as Mario.

this threw me off as well, Weaver improving the front 4 and filling the starting role @ RDE with Peek & Babin rotating weakside.

Weaver has been moved around but keeping him basicly on the strongside will improve his impact on the defensive scheme of things allowing Mario to move around & create havoc. Defense wins championships. :mario:

Double Barrel
08-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Vinny alluded to it in another thread, that Weaver will ultimately will be starting on the strongside. It's his strength and why he was brought here, so why waste his talent and energy on the inside. Plus, his veteran leadership will help form the foundation for Mario for years to come.

I think this team believes Williams can be multi-dimensional, so they are experimenting with him right now to give him reps. But I think he and Weaver will be our starting ends by the season opener. I don't think Babin or Peek will beat out either of these guys enough to justify moving them inside, especially with the big bodies we already have for tackles.

El Tejano
08-19-2006, 04:48 PM
I think you might see Babin or Peek as trade bait when that happens. Either that or it really spells the end for guys like ND Kalu.