PDA

View Full Version : Bush wearing $10,000 shoes

CloakNNNdagger
08-15-2006, 08:17 PM
Despite being warned by the NFL not to wear his Adidas gold toed shoes in the game on Sunday, Bush thumbed his nose by not only doing so, but then letting the NFL know that he’s not worried about it.........”Adidas took care of it.“ Mario also has an endorsement contract with Adidas.......but he only wears them in practice.

shoes (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5873280)

TexanSam
08-15-2006, 08:19 PM
I'm sure they'll make him wear Nike or Reebok sooner or later. I remember last season the NFL fined a guy after seeing a replay of him and the replay happened to show the bottom of the guy's shoe and it had a different logo on there besides Nike or Reebok. Frankly, they're just shoes, but I guess business is business.

WildBlackBear32
08-15-2006, 09:41 PM
Adidas owns Reebok, so I don't understand why there is even a problem here.

thetexanator
08-15-2006, 09:47 PM
considering the news its making, i think theyre getting their moneys worth of advertisement

CloakNNNdagger
08-15-2006, 09:56 PM
Adidas owns Reebok, so I don't understand why there is even a problem here.

Like some contractual requirements are made of Bush for endorsement by Adidas, so are contractual requirements made of the NFL by Reebok for endorsement. Adidas bought Reebok, but you still don't take back Adidas shoes to a Reebok store.

infantrycak
08-16-2006, 12:06 AM
This is going to turn in to a real issue:

"Adidas took care of it," Bush said Monday.

The only problem? Adidas isn't allowed to take care of it.

We asked NFL spokesman Greg Aiello whether it would be permissible for a sponsor to pay the fine, and Aiello's response was unequivocal: "No, it is not permissible."

Though most folks might regard this is a minor issue, it's got the potential to be a big deal, if Bush continues to defy NFL uniform policies. For the next offense, Bush will be hit with a $20,000 fine. Beyond that, Bush risks "higher fines, suspension and banishment."

Also, the Saints and/or the coaching staff can be fined for condoning or permitting repeated violations.

Link (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm)

As an FYI--Bush doesn't actually have to wear Nike's or Reebok's--he can wear the Adidas, he just has to cover up the logo.

The sports "analysts" were brain dead about this today saying whohoo $10k for 20 games, big deal especially with Adidas paying. Too bad Adidas isn't allowed to pay and the NFL will step up the fines for repeat offenses. I don't care what he wears, but thinking you are above the rules is BS.

texan279
08-16-2006, 12:10 AM

Link (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm)

As an FYI--Bush doesn't actually have to wear Nike's or Reebok's--he can wear the Adidas, he just has to cover up the logo.

The sports "analysts" were brain dead about this today saying whohoo $10k for 20 games, big deal especially with Adidas paying. Too bad Adidas isn't allowed to pay and the NFL will step up the fines for repeat offenses. I don't care what he wears, but thinking you are above the rules is BS.

Good post, I posted something along these lines in another Bush thread somewhere. It is ridiculous for a player to knowingly break a rule after being told not to do something, and it is even worse that Adidas is offering to pay the $10,000. The NFL needs to put it's foot down and put it down fast and hard.

TexanFan881
08-16-2006, 01:16 AM
If the NFL didn't make this public and fine Reggie Bush and instead gotten this worked out behind the media than nobody would've never known that Reggie was wearing addidas instead of nike and reebok. The NFL just helped them out by spreading the word that Reggie wears addidas. :twocents:

texan279
08-16-2006, 01:28 AM
If the NFL didn't make this public and fine Reggie Bush and instead gotten this worked out behind the media than nobody would've never known that Reggie was wearing addidas instead of nike and reebok. The NFL just helped them out by spreading the word that Reggie wears addidas. :twocents:

Like cak said, he can wear Adidas, he just has to cover the label. If Bush had done what the NFL told him to do, more than likely no one would have known and this probably woudln't be a big deal. IMO Bush is more to blame for this than anyone, he is the reason this is making the news. And most people know that Reggie endorses Adidas and wears them, that is no secret. And why should the NFL have worked this out "behind the media" instead of fining him? Is Bush an exception to the rules?

SnakeOilTanker
08-16-2006, 01:50 AM
Those gold cleats where already a story.

This is a big win for Adidas though. No such thing as bad press. I could imagine them selling alot of these gold "Reggie" cleats.

This is begining to be trend with Reggie though.

Above the NCAA housing rules
above the basic rule that #2 picks dont make more than #1 picks
the # 5 fiasco
and now the cleats

michaelm
08-16-2006, 02:49 AM
This is a big win for Adidas though. No such thing as bad press.

Dear Adidas,

In light of recent activities in which you knowingly assisted in the violation of league rules, we must place your corporation in a probationary status.
Such status will prevent any and all business transactions between Adidas and the NFL, including any companies owned or operated by Adidas, or affiliated with Adidas in any way.
Your status will last no less than one calender year, and will be open to review at that time.
Further attempts by Adidas to undermine the authority of the NFL over it's employees may subject your corporation to legal action by the NFL.

Now What, Biiatches?

The NFL

texan279
08-16-2006, 03:00 AM
Dear Adidas,

In light of recent activities in which you knowingly assisted in the violation of league rules, we must place your corporation in a probationary status.
Such status will prevent any and all business transactions between Adidas and the NFL, including any companies owned or operated by Adidas, or affiliated with Adidas in any way.
Your status will last no less than one calender year, and will be open to review at that time.
Further attempts by Adidas to undermine the authority of the NFL over it's employees may subject your corporation to legal action by the NFL.

Now What, Biiatches?

The NFL

Reps for you man...Awesome post...

eric138
08-16-2006, 07:56 AM
who would they buy from? Converse? All the players could run around in chuck taylors.
funny.

CloakNNNdagger
08-16-2006, 08:30 AM
who would they buy from? Converse? All the players could run around in chuck taylors.
funny.

That would be perfect. Adidas' greatest competitor Nike, who owns a significantly bigger piece of the world's athletic shoe market, bought Converse in 2003:bananasplit: .

michaelm
08-16-2006, 08:45 AM
funny.

Puma, baby... just like me and all of my fat little friends wore when we were kids...

hobie
08-16-2006, 08:59 AM
Adidas will pay the fines, Reggie will wear the shoes...Screw the league, they get the contract money, players do not, so it makes it hard to endorse a shoe that the league doesn't have in thier pocket... Go ahead Reggie, Mario, wear what feels best on your feet....
And as was said earlier, the league fining Reggie only made it news, and good press for Adidas, I am certain they can and will be able to afford any/all fines.

infantrycak
08-16-2006, 09:03 AM
Screw the league, they get the contract money, players do not

Where do you think the money for the players' salaries comes from?

hobie
08-16-2006, 09:32 AM
Where do you think the money for the players' salaries comes from?

Not from the league..if that was the case why do small market teams need that "Luxury Tax" from the big market teams. IMO, all small market teams should just deal with it or move, don't blame the big dogs for making the big money. Each team is responsible for selling themselfs, and those deals pay for the salaries. Now the teams split the TV money, but I doubt Nike pays the league that much money all around for them to shell out an even amount to the teams that it would make any difference to player salaries. Why do you think Jerry Jones went with Pepsi even though Coke is the official soft drink, well because he can and he got away with it. HE sold the cowboys to Pepsi as Pepsi sold themselfs to Him. He keeps all that money...what he does with it is his choice, even though he loses the money from the Coke deal...

Just like in college ball, the coach/school decide on the shoes the players wear. Players don't get any of the $$, the coach does...Coach K get's over a million a year for his players wearing the shoes they wear...
Now don't get me wrong, all of the league's "official" sponsors together do help with team revenues, but when it comes down to it, it's the team selling thier stuff to other local people to advertise for them that pulls in the money..

I have always been passionate about players, MEN, being able to decide what shoe they want to wear, uniforms are different, but shoes, if I don't like the feel of Reebok or Nike, why the hell would I want to wear them? If I have been a Puma guy, I should be able to wear them...I am a man, I will make my own mind up.

This debate could go on, but time to end it here... Go ahead Reggie...wear them, Adidas will gladly pay the fines.

CloakNNNdagger
08-16-2006, 09:58 AM
I have always been passionate about players, MEN, being able to decide what shoe they want to wear, uniforms are different, but shoes, if I don't like the feel of Reebok or Nike, why the hell would I want to wear them? If I have been a Puma guy, I should be able to wear them...I am a man, I will make my own mind up.

This debate could go on, but time to end it here... Go ahead Reggie...wear them, Adidas will gladly pay the fines.

You seem to be missing the point..........no one is taking Bush's MANHOOD away from him. He is allowed to wear whatever shoes he chooses, they're just asking him to cover up with a jock strap.

I would doubt seriously that Adidas will be allowed to continue financing his infractions. There may be major implications to Adidas for what has been determined to be inappropriate behavior. Independent of this part of the debate, look for Bush to be suspended before you see multiple fines with ignored warnings being logged.

powerfuldragon
08-16-2006, 11:26 AM
pics of shoes?

reggie bush has already proven that he's going to do what he wants to do. Guy can play football.

infantrycak
08-16-2006, 12:19 PM
Not from the league..if that was the case why do small market teams need that "Luxury Tax" from the big market teams. IMO, all small market teams should just deal with it or move, don't blame the big dogs for making the big money. Each team is responsible for selling themselfs, and those deals pay for the salaries.

You have some misconceptions on how the league operates. The majority of money in the league is pooled--jersey sales (which is why it was dumb to say Bush or VY would make more money for the Texans thru jersey sales), TV and all the league wide endorsement sales. It is off this pooled amount which a % is negotiated by the player's union to determine the salary cap, i.e. what the players get paid. There are some outside deals and opportunities for teams as well but they don't factor into paying the players which is why there is a uniform cap for all the teams. The big dispute among the owners was whether to include more of the outside deals into the pool. The players were in favor of that to make the money resulting from their cut of the pool greater with the same % and were also fighting for (and got) a bigger % of the pooled money.

Adidas will gladly pay the fines.

NFL rules prohibit Adidas from paying the fines on top of Bush's endorsement deal. The fines are going to get heavier if he keeps this up and if he gets Adidas to pay the fines he will probably be fined for that as well. The league has to enforce this rule or it will lose the ability to fine players as it does for the wrong length of sock, having a towel in the wrong place, not having jerseys tucked in, etc.

jerek
08-16-2006, 02:27 PM

I don't care what he wears, but thinking you are above the rules is BS.

I don't have a problem with Bush or anyone petitioning for rule changes -- i.e. when he wanted to wear the number 5 -- but IMO it is grossly disrespectful, arrogant, and snotty to flaunt the rules and then brush it off with the comment he made. I know it's only a pair of shoes, but come on ...

Double Barrel
08-16-2006, 04:23 PM

the # 5 fiasco
and now the cleats

Indeed. :hmmm: (and don't forget the hold out)

NO PLAYER is above the sport. The NFL will slap him down quicker than he can juke left or right.

I've never been down on the guy, and I was always a supporter of using our pick on a defensive player. But RB's attitude makes me thankful he's not a Texan and disrupting our head coach's first year. I wouldn't doubt it if Kubiak wanted to avoid this attitude, as well.

I look forward to the next episode of the Reggie Bush drama show, tho'.... :popcorn:

KKHouston
08-16-2006, 04:38 PM
Indeed. :hmmm: (and don't forget the hold out)

NO PLAYER is above the sport. The NFL will slap him down quicker than he can juke left or right.

I've never been down on the guy, and I was always a supporter of using our pick on a defensive player. But RB's attitude makes me thankful he's not a Texan and disrupting our head coach's first year. I wouldn't doubt it if Kubiak wanted to avoid this attitude, as well.

I look forward to the next episode of the Reggie Bush drama show, tho'.... :popcorn:

Shhhh.. this might turn into one of those Vince/Reggie/Mario Threads...:stirpot:

Porky
08-16-2006, 04:59 PM
Dear Adidas,

Now What, Biiatches?

The NFL

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to michaelm again.

CloakNNNdagger
08-16-2006, 05:02 PM

This is a big win for Adidas though. No such thing as bad press. I could imagine them selling alot of these gold "Reggie" cleats.

the # 5 fiasco
and now the cleats

SNAKEOIL, you can add:

being warned by the NFL not to continue to paint the area code "916" on his face.

powerfuldragon
08-16-2006, 05:25 PM
Mario's got an adidas contract too...
http://www.adidas.com/us/sports/americanfootball/content/#

mario is destroy... reggie is thrill.

CloakNNNdagger
08-16-2006, 05:47 PM
I say what the heck, let him wear 'em!

http://www.buffaloexchange.com//Beecom/Images/Item2551/2551-1.jpg

(Adidas bought them too)

HJam72
08-16-2006, 06:04 PM
The only thing that bugs me about any of this is that people will actually buy a certain brand of shoes, or whatever, just because some athlete gets paid to wear them. It's rediculous.

cuppacoffee
08-16-2006, 07:00 PM
The only thing that bugs me about any of this is that people will actually buy a certain brand of shoes, or whatever, just because some athlete gets paid to wear them. It's rediculous.

And how much :money: do people pay for an authentic team jersey with a players name on it? Seems foolish to me.

I can do without either.

To each his own though...:cool:

But thats just me being me...:D

:coffee:

Double Barrel
08-16-2006, 07:05 PM
And how much :money: do people pay for an authentic team jersey with a players name on it? Seems foolish to me.

ummmm...errr....hey, hey let's not get emotional! ;)

ps. I bought the replica custom jersey. :D

CloakNNNdagger
08-16-2006, 07:42 PM
This PATTERN (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm) is getting old.

Bush's marketing agent, Mike Ornstein, told Mullen that Bush has asked the NFLPA to appeal the fine, even though Bush specifically was warned the day before the game that he would be fined if he wore a branded adidas shoe without tape concealing the logos. Ornstein says that Bush didn't want to tape up the shoe because Bush thought it would hurt his on-field performance.

.........So just wear another friggin pair of shoes.

Wolf
08-16-2006, 08:16 PM
:hmmm: Erin Brockovich II :hmmm: guess I will miss that one too

GuerillaBlack
08-16-2006, 09:18 PM
Not a big deal to me.

HJam72
08-16-2006, 10:24 PM
It's the parents who are at fault there, but there are other ways to solve that problem. The school board or whoever's in power there needs to do 2 things:

1) tell you that your job is secure no matter what

2) start kicking kids off of teams RIGHT NOW, regardless of talent--PERIOD.

You know who else is at fault? US. That's who. If athletes are going to act like spoiled little brats, then we shouldn't be watching them or paying any attention to their bologne at all. It's a tough call though, because most of them don't act so bad.

Wolf
08-16-2006, 11:44 PM
http://out-route.gloriousnoise.com/nfl/
http://out-route.gloriousnoise.com/attachment.php.jpg

Yes, yes, yes. ANOTHER Reggie Bush post, and he hasn't even completed his first day in training camp. He showed up, by the way, in style -- black Adidas cleats with three gold stripes, as you can see above. Anyway, our coverage might seem excessive. But I'm an atheist. At least, I was, until April 29th when Bush held up his new Saints jersey. He's now assumed the role of my personal deity, and you'll be expected to put up with my spreading of the gospel much the same way I put up with the Jews for Jesus who constantly try to hand me flyers on the subway.

Anyway, in reference to Bush's arrival at training camp, Joe Horn referred to him as Baby Matrix. I've heard this references something from the movie, although I wouldn't know because I didn't waste my money on any of them. Still, Shawn Marion is already The Matrix, and the name's not that good to begin with. ESPN is calling him St. Reginald (a real saint who was from Orleans, France -- clever, huh?) and in college he was named Mr. President. We need to get on the same page as it pertains to a nickname for him, except for Berman, who will go about his jackass tomfoolery by referencing some stupid remnant from pop culture past. Unfortunately, we shouldn't hold our breath for "That's My Bush." I like St. Reginald. He's a Saint. He's Reggie. And he plays in (New) Orleans. Other suggestions are welcome.

michaelm
08-17-2006, 12:03 AM
This PATTERN (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm) is getting old.

I happened to be in Lafayette earlier today, and being there surrounded by Saints fans, you know the subject of Bush and how we passed on him was brought up.
I stated then the same basic thing. A pattern has certainly developed with young Mr. Bush.
There are many things I bring up when trying to explain the Texans possible motives for passing on Reggie, but one observation i have made seems to make people ponder...

As far as I know, we were the only team to seriously interview Reggie. I'm also pretty sure that we were the only team to do any in depth investigating into his past and his character.
I specifically remember hearing that the Saints didn't send anyone to visit Reggie because it was a foregone conclusion that we would take him.

So... I'm pretty sure that the Texans were the only team that really interviewed, researched, and investigated Reggie Bush... the Texans know Reggie Bush...

... and the Texans passed on him.

To me, that could say something... screw that... to me it does say something.

CloakNNNdagger
08-17-2006, 09:28 AM

the # 5 fiasco
and now the cleats

Any game now I’m expecting for Bush to have a “wardrobe failure”.........with all of the “2"s falling off of his uniform.:embarrass

gg no re
08-17-2006, 05:09 PM
Reggie Bush has every right in the world to wear and showcase whatever he wants.

If one Bush can do want he wants, I don't see why another Bush can't do what he wants.

CloakNNNdagger
08-17-2006, 07:53 PM
Bush Gets Another Taste of Shoe Business (http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-bush17aug17,1,1849044.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nfl)

Reggie Bush might have some of the fanciest footwork in the NFL. But his shoes are plain as can be.

The former USC star will wear all-black, no-logo Adidas cleats Monday when his New Orleans Saints play the Dallas Cowboys in an exhibition game. The decision came after Bush was fined $10,000 by the league for wearing branded Adidas shoes last weekend against Tennessee. Those shoes had small gold logos on the toes and heels.

"Personally, I didn't think it was a violation, but if that's what the league wants we'll stand by it," said Mike Ornstein, who heads Bush's marketing team. He said Bush has appealed the fine to the NFL Players Assn.

In keeping with the NFL's sponsorship deals, players may wear footwear by Nike, Reebok or Under Armour without taping over the company logos. A player can wear another brand if he chooses, but he must either tape over the logo or wear a non-branded, solid-color shoe.

All the talk, Ornstein said, is much ado about a shoe.

"Whatever the guy does, it seems to be the front-page story," he said. "Whatever the guy's involved in turns into national news."
He "creates" his own news.......Funny statement coming from Bush's MARKETING AGENT.

BattleRedRaider
08-17-2006, 11:33 PM
Reggie Bush has every right in the world to wear and showcase whatever he wants.

If one Bush can do want he wants, I don't see why another Bush can't do what he wants.

I don't know which Bush you're talking about in the 1st place :spy:

infantrycak
08-18-2006, 12:29 AM
All the talk, Ornstein said, is much ado about a shoe.

"Whatever the guy does, it seems to be the front-page story," he said. "Whatever the guy's involved in turns into national news."

How disingenuous can you be?--the only reason Adidas is paying him to wear their shoes and paying his fine is because he is national news. Me thinks he doth protest too much.