PDA

View Full Version : Kubiak on Morency getting the ball in pre-season

Malloy
08-15-2006, 07:08 AM
Kubiak camp quotes:

"(on giving more running backs more reps) “We’re looking at (RB) Vernand (Morency) to play this week. We’ll get him ready to play. He’ll definitely play. We’ll make that decision on exactly which guys are going to go. Vernand will definitely be in the mix this week; however we go about doing that.”"

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2753&section=N%20Latest%20News

Yeah baby, don't let me down now. I'm really looking forward to what Morency can do in this offensive! :)

TEXANRED
08-15-2006, 08:42 AM
Kubiak camp quotes:

"(on giving more running backs more reps) “We’re looking at (RB) Vernand (Morency) to play this week. We’ll get him ready to play. He’ll definitely play. We’ll make that decision on exactly which guys are going to go. Vernand will definitely be in the mix this week; however we go about doing that.”"

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2753&section=N%20Latest%20News

Yeah baby, don't let me down now. I'm really looking forward to what Morency can do in this offensive! :)
Morency can't do any worse than than Smith's one yard rush attempt.

rittenhouserobz
08-15-2006, 09:49 AM
I hope he has let go of the "shake and bake" mentality. I am sure everyone will be watching for that. I think he will be able to use that skill when he is 20 yards past the line of scrimmage with one guy to beat, but until he is in the defensive backfield I don't expect to see many moves.

SnakeOilTanker
08-15-2006, 10:38 AM
maybe instead of Shake And Back he's the Magician..now you see him...now you don't

or maybe El Diablo...some sort of fighting chicken thing...with talons

Double Barrel
08-15-2006, 10:42 AM
I've always liked Morency for some reason, but he did tend to have a dancing problem in the backfield. I'm glad Kubiak has addressed this tendency, and it will be very interesting to see how VM responds to this fundamental change.

Personally, I think it will do him good. One of the great aspects of Kubiak's system is that the runner has very few decisions to make behind the line. It's all about getting past the LOS and gaining yardage, even if that means 3 yard runs.

And if all the backs are trained with the one-cut philosophy, there is consistency on the offense irregardless of who they stick back there. The burden is put on the o-line to make the blocks and open the holes.

HOU-TEX
08-15-2006, 10:51 AM
I've always liked Morency for some reason, but he did tend to have a dancing problem in the backfield. I'm glad Kubiak has addressed this tendency, and it will be very interesting to see how VM responds to this fundamental change.

Personally, I think it will do him good. One of the great aspects of Kubiak's system is that the runner has very few decisions to make behind the line. It's all about getting past the LOS and gaining yardage, even if that means 3 yard runs.

And if all the backs are trained with the one-cut philosophy, there is consistency on the offense irregardless of who they stick back there. The burden is put on the o-line to make the blocks and open the holes.

I agree with you on the fact that VM has a chance to shine in this offense considering he eliminates the juking and dancing. As far as just sticking anybody in there, A. Smith proved that you at least need to find a hole in order to penetrate the LOS. I don't think he hit one hole while he was in. It seemed like he was basically hitting a pre-determined hole rather than making the correct read on where to penetrate the line. I'm assuming if he does make the team, it'll be only for very short yardage.:twocents:

Meloy
08-15-2006, 10:52 AM
It looks as if the oline may create some open lanes for the backs. It does not matter much if you are a jitter back or a one cut and up the field back if there are no holes. Reports I've seen in Chronicle reports that Morency is adjusting to Kube's wishes. I agree that he can use the "shake & bake" as he tears down the field past the linebackers. I liked what I saw of him last season as I liked what I saw of Lundy Saturday. I wanted a trade of the 1st pick then agreed on Bush when it was evident no trade would occur. I solidly supported the Mario selection after awakening from my faint. After watching the KC game I feel even better about the running game. I want DD but feel we are going to be ok until he recovers.

srstex
08-15-2006, 10:53 AM
With all the talent at the RB position, I think all of them can make a contribution, and all be fresh in the season, ( running back by comitee is not popular but...) with DD, Lundy Smith Morency, 3 will definitely make the team and make a difference in the W-L column. When you can show the RB that a hole is going to be there, they will all buy into the system, and be a force to be reakoned with in the regular season. IF the left tackle, whoever that may be, is a GOOD tackle, then this year will be 8-8, but we might start 1-3.

Double Barrel
08-15-2006, 11:00 AM
I agree with you on the fact that VM has a chance to shine in this offense considering he eliminates the juking and dancing. As far as just sticking anybody in there, A. Smith proved that you at least need to find a hole in order to penetrate the LOS. I don't think he hit one hole while he was in. It seemed like he was basically hitting a pre-determined hole rather than making the correct read on where to penetrate the line. I'm assuming if he does make the team, it'll be only for very short yardage.:twocents:

This is true, but just remember Smith was not getting the benefit of playing behind the starting o-line. I wasn't all that impressed with him, either, but I think this is the nature of pre-season games. These things have to be kept in perspective as much as possible.

tulexan
08-15-2006, 11:01 AM
This is true, but just remember Smith was not getting the benefit of playing behind the starting o-line. I wasn't all that impressed with him, either, but I think this is the nature of pre-season games. These things have to be kept in perspective as much as possible.

But Lundy had that same OL and did much better.

Texans_Chick
08-15-2006, 11:06 AM
Just as an aside, and with no stats to back it up, I am guessing Morency's game would look good on turf.

Hulk75
08-15-2006, 11:06 AM
Morency was fun to watch atleast last year cause he did not even know were he was going half the time.:francis:

He has to understand and I am sure he does that he can still get crazy but after he gets out of the holes. Into the secondary he can put the moves on.

Double Barrel
08-15-2006, 11:08 AM
But Lundy had that same OL and did much better.

hmmm, I thought he played later behind 2nd stringers. (memory is already fuzzy! ;)).

But I agree, Lundy looked a lot better. I think he'll end up starting if Morency doesn't shape up (based on what we've seen so far).

rittenhouserobz
08-15-2006, 11:09 AM
Fresh legs kills the opposing defense. With the zone blocking scheme the Defense would have to make a scheme for overcome the rushing attack that has fresh legs thoughout the game before stopping the bootlegs is even a thought. Kubiaks offense is going to be difficult for defenses to stop. The teams that will slow us down the most have the faster DE's that can get to the QB on a bootleg or reach the runner. For instance Indy.

HOU-TEX
08-15-2006, 11:09 AM

Smith started the game. I'm assuming they had the starters in on th line as well.:cool:

edit: sorry, we posted at the same time. My bad.

tulexan
08-15-2006, 11:27 AM
hmmm, I thought he played later behind 2nd stringers. (memory is already fuzzy! ;)).

But I agree, Lundy looked a lot better. I think he'll end up starting if Morency doesn't shape up (based on what we've seen so far).

Lundy had the first TD of the game when David Carr was playing. Smith played the first drive, Lundy played the second drive.

bigTEXan8
08-15-2006, 12:52 PM
For our RBs, I'd like to see DD, Morencey, and Lundi. Last year, I felt I was a big supporter of giving Verand the ball "More"ncey (HA!!). I think that he could be a difference maker for this offense.

TheRealJoker
08-15-2006, 01:00 PM
Im kinda hoping Morency ends up beating out Lundy for the starting job if DD cant go because Lundy looked like a real solid return man. Which we need until Mathis is healthy

LORK 88
08-15-2006, 01:06 PM
Im kinda hoping Morency ends up beating out Lundy for the starting job if DD cant go because Lundy looked like a real solid return man. Which we need until Mathis is healthy
Why dont you want Lundy to start at both RB and KR? Do you not want Lundy to get caught up in too much? Personally, I want to get a good look at Morency before I rush to any judgements, but like what Lundy has done thus far. Hopefully what Ive been hearing is true and Morency is more one cut and go and saves the jukes for the DBs 15 yards down field.

gumper27
08-15-2006, 01:34 PM
Why when I look at the depth chartt and see Smith as second string. Do you think there is any chance of him starting if DD can't go?

TexanFan881
08-15-2006, 01:37 PM
Why when I look at the depth chartt and see Smith as second string. Do you think there is any chance of him starting if DD can't go?

After last weeks performance Wali Lundy looks ahead of Smith right now, and Morency might be as well.

edo783
08-15-2006, 01:51 PM
There has always been a great reluctance by the Broncos to start a rookie RB, so that is what we may be seeing with the rookies ranked further down the depth chart. Once TC is over, could be much different.

DocBar
08-15-2006, 02:00 PM
Smith reminds me a lot of Stacey Mack from our 1st year: A short yardage guy, at best. IMO, he was brought in purely as a veteran presence to help settle down our talented younger players and will probably not make the team if our other RB's keep putting up good numbers. I'm looking forward to seeing VM this Saturday. He reminds me of DD when he doesn't juke.

Malloy
08-15-2006, 02:12 PM

The depth chart is a work in progress during the pre-season. I do not think that any of us should read too much into it as it'll change a few more times before the season starts. :)

SnakeOilTanker
08-15-2006, 02:15 PM
screw DD, Lundy is the choses one lol

El Tejano
08-15-2006, 02:15 PM
I believe Kubiak stated that those runs by Smith were more at fault on the Oline's behalf and nothing Smith did wrong.

I do know this. If Morency gets in there and dances around behind the line of scrimmage, Spencer Tillman will be quick to inform us that this is the NFL and is not BULA BULA!!!!

Insideop
08-15-2006, 02:37 PM
For our RBs, I'd like to see DD, Morencey, and Lundi. Last year, I felt I was a big supporter of giving Verand the ball "More"ncey (HA!!). I think that he could be a difference maker for this offense.

BigTex, how about "More-n-see," as in, give the ball to Vernand More-n-see how well he does! Ha ha! lol:

Marcus
08-15-2006, 02:44 PM
:stirpot:

Does anyone think that Reggie Bush would have adapted to the "one-cut and go" policy?

Me thinks Kubiak knew the answer to that question when he decided not to draft him.:redtowel:

jdog
08-15-2006, 02:51 PM

It seems like I remember Morency being a grinder back at Oklahoma State. He seemed like a good Denver type back in those days. I think he will do very well in Kubiak's system. I can't wait to see him play.

El Tejano
08-15-2006, 02:53 PM
Well him and Tatum Bell were basically the same back OKst. Hopefully they could be the same in the NFL.

U4ikrob
08-15-2006, 03:01 PM
Morency was fun to watch atleast last year cause he did not even know were he was going half the time.:francis:

He has to understand and I am sure he does that he can still get crazy but after he gets out of the holes. Into the secondary he can put the moves on.

OMG Hulk - Did you create the DC Madden cover your showing??? That looks freaking good!!

TheRealJoker
08-15-2006, 03:26 PM
Why dont you want Lundy to start at both RB and KR? Do you not want Lundy to get caught up in too much? Personally, I want to get a good look at Morency before I rush to any judgements, but like what Lundy has done thus far. Hopefully what Ive been hearing is true and Morency is more one cut and go and saves the jukes for the DBs 15 yards down field.

Do we really want to wear out the wheels of our stud rookie?