PDA

View Full Version : Cowart vs. Ryans?

gtexan02
08-14-2006, 02:44 PM
Did cowart play at all on Sunday? If yes, how'd he do? If no, why not? Who is expected to start week 1? As much as I like the upside of Ryans, I think the run-stopping ability of Cowart, plus his veteran know-how, gives him the edge on paper. I haven't seen or heard much yet, though, so I'd be curious what ya'll think

the wonger need food
08-14-2006, 02:49 PM
He didn't record any stats. I think I saw him on the field in the second but I could be wrong.

Ryans brings a lot more to the table than Cowart. And Ryans is going to be the leader of this defense for many years to come so why not get him indoctrinated this year?

HOU-TEX
08-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Did cowart play at all on Sunday? If yes, how'd he do? If no, why not? Who is expected to start week 1? As much as I like the upside of Ryans, I think the run-stopping ability of Cowart, plus his veteran know-how, gives him the edge on paper. I haven't seen or heard much yet, though, so I'd be curious what ya'll think

Yes, he did play. I didn't really notice him. Maybe someone else will chime in. I think DeMecco will be the starter. He's got too much talent and potential not to be in there for week 1.:redtowel:

gtexan02
08-14-2006, 02:50 PM
Yes, he did play. I didn't really notice him. Maybe someone else will chime in. I think DeMecco will be the starter. He's got too much talent and potential not to be in there for week 1.:redtowel:

While this may be true, I heard a lot of "He made rookie mistakes" type comments on the game thread. I don't know a lot about Cowart, but it would be nice if he was as good as he is supposed to be, and I would rather start him than put Ryans into the fire

the wonger need food
08-14-2006, 02:54 PM
While this may be true, I heard a lot of "He made rookie mistakes" type comments on the game thread. I don't know a lot about Cowart, but it would be nice if he was as good as he is supposed to be, and I would rather start him than put Ryans into the fire

Why??? The last two defensive rookies of the year were middle linebackers. Ryans could be better than both of them.

Vinny
08-14-2006, 02:54 PM
I've stated since we drafted Demeco that he would stuggle to keep the staring spot or perhaps even make the team since he has limited mobility.

HOU-TEX
08-14-2006, 02:56 PM

Yes, he did make a few mistakes typical for a rookie. IMO, the plays he did make made up for them. He's a smart player and I look for him to learn quickly from the mistakes he made. I would still rather have him in the middle than anyone we currently have on the staff.

HOU-TEX
08-14-2006, 02:58 PM
I've stated since we drafted Demeco that he would stuggle to keep the staring spot or perhaps even make the team since he has limited mobility.

I'm assuming you're speaking of Cowarts lack of mobility? I thought DeMecco was swarming the ball quite nicely.

gtexan02
08-14-2006, 02:59 PM

Can you elaborate on this? You have his picture in your avatar, and next to it the caption "ROY," yet you are unsure if he'll make the Texans? I don't know much about the kid, other than he's a smart guy who plays with a lot of heart. Does he lack some sort of physical requirements? Is he slow, short, etc? Fill me in!!

Peldon
08-14-2006, 03:04 PM
Can you elaborate on this? You have his picture in your avatar, and next to it the caption "ROY," yet you are unsure if he'll make the Texans? I don't know much about the kid, other than he's a smart guy who plays with a lot of heart. Does he lack some sort of physical requirements? Is he slow, short, etc? Fill me in!!

I think the "he" Vinny was talking about is Cowart.

the wonger need food
08-14-2006, 03:05 PM

He's talking about Cowart.

Ryans will be the leader of this defense for the next decade or so.

Chance_C
08-14-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm assuming you're speaking of Cowarts lack of mobility? I thought DeMecco was swarming the ball quite nicely.

Yeah, you must be right. It had me kinda confused also. I mean I know he's not the fastest guy on the field, but limited mobility shoulda gave it away for me.

AFD1717
08-14-2006, 03:06 PM
You've got a lot of people scratching their heads with this one, pal. Please tell me you are talking about Cowart or somebody and not our new LB that was one pick away from being a first round draft pick.

texflex513
08-14-2006, 03:08 PM
He didn't record any stats. I think I saw him on the field in the second but I could be wrong.

Ryans brings a lot more to the table than Cowart. And Ryans is going to be the leader of this defense for many years to come so why not get him indoctrinated this year?

Kinda how the bengals did odell thurman last season, put him in the middle(RYANS) and let him play the entire year i think he will have a better season than odell did if not equal.

Mysteryhunt
08-14-2006, 03:21 PM
ryans was around every play and tackling anything he could get his hands on. sure he made a few mistakes, but i love the defensive intensity he brings from the middle.

the wonger need food
08-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Kinda how the bengals did odell thurman last season, put him in the middle(RYANS) and let him play the entire year i think he will have a better season than odell did if not equal.

I would rather compare him to Vilma, but if he has the kind of year that Thurman had last year, we would be pretty happy with that.

To the original post.... This guy is going to be a special player, especially if our defensive line is good enough to consistently warrant double-teams.

Vinny
08-14-2006, 03:29 PM
I've stated since we drafted Demeco that he (Cowart) would struggle to keep the staring spot or perhaps even make the team since he has limited mobility. I've never glossed positively on the Cowart signing...at any point.

AFD1717
08-14-2006, 03:40 PM
I've stated since we drafted Demeco that he (Cowart) would struggle to keep the staring spot or perhaps even make the team since he has limited mobility. I've never glossed positively on the Cowart signing...at any point.
Figured that is what you meant. Sorry if I'm a step slow (like Cowart).

Vinny
08-14-2006, 03:41 PM
eh, I'm sloppy...I understand the confusion. ;)

goodnews boy
08-14-2006, 04:00 PM

I can see the team having a good year(6 or7 wins) but I don't see them making it to the Playoffs. I say why not leave him in and make the rookie mistakes. Next year he will have a full season under his belt,

Carr Bombed
08-14-2006, 04:27 PM
I love the ESPN hype machine. I just got done watching Clips of the Green Bay game where they made AJ Hawk look like a probowler. (Most of the plays he only had one hand on a guy on a assisted tackle.)

AJ's stats - 2 solo tackles, 3 assisted

Demeco's stats - 4 solo tackles, 2 assisted

The Packers defense was also on the field alot longer that our defense.

I guess perception is everything, this is why I hate ESPN. They pick their darlings and hype them beyond belief.

AJ and Demeco's combine #'s were almost identical, yet Demeco is too small and too slow and falls out of the first round, but AJ Hawk is a top 5 pick. This is also why I think Demeco has a uphill battle of even being mentioned for the DROY, if Hawk is anywhere close to his stats, they will give it to AJ.

michaelm
08-14-2006, 04:36 PM

Keep in mind that there are a few of us who don't go back and research your stance on a subject before we reply to a post...:shades:

Carr Bombed
08-14-2006, 04:42 PM
I think all you have to do is look at Vinny's aviator and the mention of Demeco for ROY and know what his stance is.

Having said that he had me a little confused, not that I thought he was doubting Ryans, I just thought he was being extremely sarcastic

michaelm
08-14-2006, 06:26 PM
I think all you have to do is look at Vinny's aviator and the mention of Demeco for ROY and know what his stance is.

Having said that he had me a little confused, not that I thought he was doubting Ryans, I just thought he was being extremely sarcastic

He wasn't being sarcastic. He was referring to Cowart, but the wording was a bit unclear.
He has subsequently clarified the statement...

phantom17
08-14-2006, 07:01 PM
He wasn't being sarcastic. He was referring to Cowart, but the wording was a bit unclear.
He has subsequently clarified the statement...

Wow! At first, I thought someone knocked out Vinny silly while he was surfing the net & typed goofy things.:tvhorror:

The Pencil Neck
08-14-2006, 11:59 PM
Wow! At first, I thought someone knocked out Vinny silly while he was surfing the net & typed goofy things.:tvhorror:

Yeah, my initial reaction was, "Who are you and what have you done with Vinny!?"

South Texan
08-15-2006, 01:05 AM
I think DeMeco will go down as a second round steal. I am just wondering what will happen if and when Wong is healthy again.

TexanBacker93
08-15-2006, 01:08 AM
I also figure that since Kubiak mentioned they are still looking to see who will start at Will and Sam that he's set on Ryans as the Mike. I think it's the best move. If this was a playoff team that is trying to get to the SuperBowl this season I can understand wanting to let the kid watch and learn, but this team is a year away from serious contending (barring something freakish happening) and they might as well get the future started.

The only real thing I noticed was on Dee Brown's TD run he was washed away from the hole and wasn't in position to make a play. Beyond that I was excited about his intensity and reactions. I'm sure there were other missed assignments and he'll need to be quicker when reading the play, but he's going to be outstanding. I may have to change the Username to TexanBacker59 now that Babin is on the DLine.