PDA

View Full Version : Bush vs. Lundy

Bamaborn-Texasbred
08-13-2006, 09:25 AM
Guys, I was reading the paper this morning after hearing last night what a great game Reggie Bush had.

Reggie: 10 carries, 59 yards
Wali: 9 carries, 58 yards

Also, if Wali makes that catch last night where he was wide open with space to run.....:jam:

I was at the game and paid a lot of attention to Mario. He looks like the real deal to me, and KC was treating him like the real deal. They doubled him quite a bit, and ran the ball mostly away from him. When Mario gets to study film on just one or two linemen and play them for a whole game the sacks are going to come.:mario:

I'm a big Bama fan. Here is a quote from Bama defensive coach Kines: "Demeco isn't the strongest or the fastest linebacker on our team, but he has a nose for the ball and it seems like he is almost always there." Demeco got the first tackle in the game.

I am so pumped up I can barely contain myself!
:yahoo:

gwallaia
08-13-2006, 09:31 AM
Demeco Ryans was around the ball alot last night. That quote from his coach from Alabama is right on the mark, Demeco showed great lateral speed and penetration getting to the ball carrier. #59 is going to be a big part of the Texan defense.

KKHouston
08-13-2006, 09:34 AM
Demeco Ryans was around the ball alot last night. That quote from his coach from Alabama is right on the mark, Demeco showed great lateral speed and penetration getting to the ball carrier. #59 is going to be a big part of the Texan defense.

He made a few mistakes last night that I could see, but those are to be expected. We should be VERY pleased with his ability to get near the ball, and with some NFL experience, we're looking at a MLB we've desperately needed.

infantrycak
08-13-2006, 09:34 AM
Reggie only had 6 carries. That said, he averaged 3 ypc on his non-big play. Take out Lundy's big play and he averaged 4.25. Lundy will never be Bush, and Bush will never be a grinder.

Bamaborn-Texasbred
08-13-2006, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the kind words. Being a Tide backer, I was just as excited about Ryans getting picked as I was about Mario Williams.

Also, now that I have seen in person what a limited set of Kubiak's offensive plays can do I am happier and happier that we didn't go for Reggie Bush or VY.

Football at Reliant Stadium sounds like an exciting way to spend your Sunday again! Win or lose these games are going to be fun to watch again.

Did you notice that empty backfield formation last night? Capers would have never done that. I'm up early on Sunday morning just to sit at this PC and talk about football! It's crazy.

Bamaborn-Texasbred
08-13-2006, 09:46 AM
Reggie only had 6 carries. That said, he averaged 3 ypc on his non-big play. Take out Lundy's big play and he averaged 4.25. Lundy will never be Bush, and Bush will never be a grinder.

You are correct, sir. My bad. It seems however that you would be mostly in agreement with me.

phantom17
08-13-2006, 09:46 AM
This what I like about the Texans' backs Wali & Chris is that they can grind it out & can take it for big carries along wit the zone blocking scheme. And they seem to handle the hits from defenders well! Bush has still to prove if can be an every down back who can grind it out without hastening the end his career! But, I think he will be a slash type playa ( running & receiving), & a DANGEROUS ONE @ that! Plus if Wali & Chris continues to play well then they are the biggest steals of the draft, along with O Daniels, Demeco, & Spencer!:mario: :yahoo:

diehard1192
08-13-2006, 09:48 AM
I was at the game and paid a lot of attention to Mario. He looks like the real deal to me, and KC was treating him like the real deal. They doubled him quite a bit, and ran the ball mostly away from him. When Mario gets to study film on just one or two linemen and play them for a whole game the sacks are going to come.:mario:

The "real deal" was getting his arse handed to him by a guy who hasn't played football in two years.

Mario is going to go down as one of the worst picks in history.

Coach C.
08-13-2006, 09:53 AM
Wali Lundy performed how I expected him to, in practice when he gets downfield and has a hole he hits it and has very good balance which is always a plus. He has shown better hands though, and the only problem that I really saw with him is a problem with most rookies and that was his blocking.

Chris Taylor, my darkhorse, was ok. I admit that I probably evaluate him much tougher than most do, and like I said in ealier post about him he will be able to help and should make the team. His blocking was better than Lundy's, but his vision was worse. He seemed to play tenative, and when he had a hole he seemed to be a half step slow. Not sure, but he has been limping a bit and that may be hindering him. His hands also did nothing to impress me. One thing I did notice is that both were a load to bring down, you are not going to arm tackle our backs this year.

Runner
08-13-2006, 10:02 AM
Lundy will never be Bush, and Bush will never be a grinder.

Well said.

Texanfan4ever
08-13-2006, 10:31 AM
The "real deal" was getting his arse handed to him by a guy who hasn't played football in two years.

Do you seriously have nothing better to do than attack our team? What is actually your real beef over here?

Like I said in another post, we are sorry if you are disturbed and jealous by what you see happening here, and are SO EXCITED that you have Bush then go play with your own people.

You are embarrasing yourself.

:mario: And he is a force to be reckoned with, just keep running your mouth.....

TexanBacker93
08-13-2006, 10:37 AM

We'll see who the real deal is here next fall when the Saints come marching into Reliant and go whimpering out with their tails firmly tucked.

tulexan
08-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Bush: 8 touches for 69 yards, 8.625 yards per touch, 0 TDs
Lundy: 12 touches for 110 yards 9.167 yards per touch, 1 TD

KKHouston
08-13-2006, 10:42 AM

Bold words. I sure didn't see his arse handed to him. I saw him being double teamed quite a bit, and the Chiefs didn't run his way.

shmoo422
08-13-2006, 12:09 PM

I agree 100%.........you people just wait. The texans will be better this year, but not because of mario. Just imagine if the texans had a big playmaker though

Napa Auto Parts
08-13-2006, 12:14 PM
i like lundy but i think we are taking it a bit to far to bring him to R bush status lets face it if that was the case he wouldnt of been at least a 1st day pick.

nunusguy
08-13-2006, 12:58 PM
I've already seen Bush's 40 yard plus run in his preseason game last night on ESPN more times than I want to, and it happened less than 24 hrs ago !
But Bush had 59 yards on 6 carries and Lundy has 59 yards on 10 carries, but
our guy gets a TD and Bush doesn't. I think our guy did fine.
And how many times will PTIs stand-up Catskill comic TK talk about Bush's run on his ESPN MNF debut tomorrow night ?
But I'm feeling better than ever about passing on Bush, though back in April I was inclined to take him. If we'd have just got, I dunno, maybe a 3rd round pick as boot with Mario ?

Mr. B
08-13-2006, 01:00 PM
Well actually if you watched Sportscenter and The Sports Reporters this morning you would think Reggie Bush was the next coming of God.

Everything that came out of the mouths of the guys on sports reporters was basically to the tune that Texans screwed up and Bush, Bush, Bush. I wanna marry Bush.

Then on Sportscenter they made a big deal out of showing Kyle Turley knock Mario off balance. Funny thing was they kept saying that he hasn't played in 2 years and he took Williams out, then Williams gets up and overruns the play.

Looked to me like that was a hell of an athletic move on Williams part to come from the ground and still get back into trying to tackle the runner even if he did overrun it.

God I can see what this season is going to be like with the west and east coast sports press all but married to Reggie and the Houston press with a boner in Vince Young. Gonna be a long season for the Texans in the press.

The Dream
08-13-2006, 01:02 PM
Lundy looked good last night, but I have a strong feeling Bush will be better than him in the long run.

dtran04
08-13-2006, 01:06 PM
Lundy looked good last night, but I have a strong feeling Bush will be better than him in the long run.

You would sure hope so. The guy is paid as a top RB in the league.

Steersnqueers
08-13-2006, 01:29 PM
its only pre-season, so we shouldnt get ahead of ourselves. I dont think Bush is designed to be a "grinder" - hes built to make people miss. Deuce is more of the grinder - if he can stay healthy. Will be interesting to see Deuce and Bush together in the backfield.

The Preacher
08-13-2006, 02:06 PM
]']I am glad we did not pick Reggie Bush.

If Lundy performs the way he did last night it will certainly make it forgettable. Kubiak's knack for finding and putting sleepers into his system should be worthy of some kind of award in itself. It should be interesting to see who starts the season at RB if DD is unavailable. :poker:

Insideop
08-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Well actually if you watched Sportscenter and The Sports Reporters this morning you would think Reggie Bush was the next coming of God.

Everything that came out of the mouths of the guys on sports reporters was basically to the tune that Texans screwed up and Bush, Bush, Bush. I wanna marry Bush.

Then on Sportscenter they made a big deal out of showing Kyle Turley knock Mario off balance. Funny thing was they kept saying that he hasn't played in 2 years and he took Williams out, then Williams gets up and overruns the play.

Looked to me like that was a hell of an athletic move on Williams part to come from the ground and still get back into trying to tackle the runner even if he did overrun it.

God I can see what this season is going to be like with the west and east coast sports press all but married to Reggie and the Houston press with a boner in Vince Young. Gonna be a long season for the Texans in the press.

Mr. B it sure is sad to see the media and even some of our own fans down on Mario (and that is their right if they want to) after only 1 preseason game. But I for one don't care what they say about Mario. I think in the end he will prove them wrong, but I don't think they would ever give him credit if he does. Unfortunately, he will probably always be looked at (by the media and some "fans") as the guy who shouldn't have been picked #1.

What most of the media failed to see was a Texans "TEAM," with no real "superstars," win over a team they weren't supposed to beat. How did we win? We don't have Reggie. We don't have Vince. How did we win? It's the system! I don't think we're going to see Kubiak pick players that don't fit his system just because the media or some fans say we should! Kubiak may be wrong on some of his picks from time to time, (Has Denver been 100% right on their picks?) but I don't think he will change the way he and his staff go about making those picks. And, I haven't seen anything yet that says they should change! Just my :twocents:

football freak
08-13-2006, 02:19 PM
ESPN went brain dead when someone actually picked a player they needed instead of who they felt was best.

Ryan
08-13-2006, 02:41 PM

ditto:redtowel:

KKHouston
08-13-2006, 03:21 PM
i like lundy but i think we are taking it a bit to far to bring him to R bush status lets face it if that was the case he wouldnt of been at least a 1st day pick.

You mean like Terrel Davis? Clinton Portis? Do your homework. How many Heisman winners in the last 17 years made an impact in the NFL? Two? You don't need to spend the number one pick on an RB to be successful in the NFL. You need to find the kid that fits your system.

Napa Auto Parts
08-13-2006, 03:27 PM
You mean like Terrel Davis? Clinton Portis? Do your homework. How many Heisman winners in the last 17 years made an impact in the NFL? Two? You don't need to spend the number one pick on an RB to be successful in the NFL. You need to find the kid that fits your system.

sorry to burst your bubble mister now it all in football lol clinton portis was a
1st day pick. terrel was a late pick six or seventh round . but if your going to bring up a player at least research were he was drafted before you sound like a total homer. and i totally agree with you there's no reason to spend the 1st overall pick on a rb.

GuerillaBlack
08-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Wali: 9 carries, 58 yards, 1 TD

Fixed :yahoo:

Bush is hype, I'm telling you. Wali Lundy has better stats than he did for his pre-season game, but ESPN isn't putting that in the highlight reel.

cbnjwill
08-13-2006, 03:39 PM
im a texans fan but im looking at this as bush vs. mario. last nite granted it was preseason and he only played the first quarter,but if you didnt see the starting lineups when the game started u would have never known mario was on the field. i sayed back on draft day the texans would regret not getting bush and yes im bitter that i cant go out to reliant and watch reggie bush do his thing. last nites 45 yard run from bush is the first of many highlight plays from bush this year. yes lundy looked good in his first game but lets not compare this guy to bush. he couldnt carry bushs' jock. the texans will be better this yr. thanks to new coaching staff and new attitude but we would be a better team and a more exciting team with bush in the backfield. maybe adrian peterson next yr. in the draft? unless they take another defensive lineman

Wolf
08-13-2006, 03:40 PM
actually I thought reggie had 6 carries for 58 and 2 catches for 10

while lundy had 7 carries for 58 yards and 1 catch for 9

I'll have to look them up

anyway infantrycak..said it Lundy wont' be bush and bush won't be lundry..

My take is hopefully both players will be good.

we traded down and passed on DJ ..we got TJ and winston for that.. if passing on bush and getting Mario and lundy(later rounds) and get results.. I am all for it.

I hope it balances out, we gave up some players/picks for Babin and pbuc (not bashing these players, just saying we gave up multiple "bodies" for these guys)

tulexan
08-13-2006, 03:44 PM
sorry to burst your bubble mister now it all in football lol clinton portis was a
1st day pick. terrel was a late pick six or seventh round . but if your going to bring up a player at least research were he was drafted before you sound like a total homer. and i totally agree with you there's no reason to spend the 1st overall pick on a rb.

What about Priest Holmes?

The Pencil Neck
08-13-2006, 03:46 PM

Yeah. Like a Terrel Davis... oh... wait...

:)

Grid
08-13-2006, 03:46 PM

1st pick overall: Ki-Jana Carter
196th pick overall: Terrell Davis

2nd pick overall: Reggie Bush
170th Pick overall: Wali Lundy

KKHouston
08-13-2006, 03:47 PM

I said the FIRST pick, goofus... not a first day pick. Go back to your corner and learn how to read. And Autozone is better than NAPA. So there.

Napa Auto Parts
08-13-2006, 03:52 PM
I said the FIRST pick, goofus... not a first day pick. Go back to your corner and learn how to read. And Autozone is better than NAPA. So there.

well you quoted me

Originally Posted by Napa Auto Parts

as you can tell in post that you quoted i ver said 1st overall pick i said 1st day pick lol and i agree autozone is better and cheaper.

KKHouston
08-13-2006, 04:00 PM
well you quoted me

Originally Posted by Napa Auto Parts

I need to go back to my corner and read...:hides:

phantom17
08-13-2006, 04:01 PM
im a texans fan but im looking at this as bush vs. mario. last nite granted it was preseason and he only played the first quarter,but if you didnt see the starting lineups when the game started u would have never known mario was on the field. i sayed back on draft day the texans would regret not getting bush and yes im bitter that i cant go out to reliant and watch reggie bush do his thing. last nites 45 yard run from bush is the first of many highlight plays from bush this year. yes lundy looked good in his first game but lets not compare this guy to bush. he couldnt carry bushs' jock. the texans will be better this yr. thanks to new coaching staff and new attitude but we would be a better team and a more exciting team with bush in the backfield. maybe adrian peterson next yr. in the draft? unless they take another defensive lineman

Oh Lord! Another annoying Troll popping up here, where are "Troll Blockers" when you need it! Pls go back to yer AINTS board & be happy that you got your overpriced slash player! You should thank us & not rub it in!:hunter: :chicken:

Honoring Earl 34
08-13-2006, 04:08 PM
:cowboy1: If Lundy is in same sentence as Bush we've won . Lets see ... greatest player ever never to have played a real game and Lundy a 6th round pick had good games . We just saved 50 million priceless .

tulexan
08-13-2006, 04:13 PM

For someone who couldn't carry Reggie's jock, he has done something that Reggie hasn't, scored a touchdown. He also had more yards and yards per touch than Reggie did last night and in his college career, had more touchdowns. Reggie may put up 1400-1500 total yards in a given season, but he isn't going to score many touchdowns.

Napa Auto Parts
08-13-2006, 04:27 PM
so anyways what does this mean for DD is lundy going to be our back now i really tought he looked great and he had that X-tra Burst that DD doesnt have.:stirpot:

KKHouston
08-13-2006, 04:28 PM
so anyways what does this mean for DD is lundy going to be our back now i really tought he looked great and he had that X-tra Burst that DD doesnt have.:stirpot:

If DD were healthy, I am not sure it would be a question, but considering what we know, he looks like a viable candidate.

Wolf
08-13-2006, 04:29 PM

I was more embarrassed about the 30+ points we gave up in back to back games.. also didn't like the mention of Johnson gaining a chiefs record of 211 rushing yards at home last season.

what was it that Spencer Tillman said "7 adam 12 we have a 211 in progress"funny but embarrassing

Aztequila
08-13-2006, 04:30 PM
Well I'm new to this board, I don't know why it took me so long to get in on it. Maybe if I'd acted sooner I could have shared my suffering for the past few years with the rest of you. Anyway, happy to be here.

Now as for Bush v. Mario and Wali...Bush's 45 yard run was pretty cool, and no matter how much I want him to be bust, I don't think he is going to be. I was surprised to read about Lundy's performance, although I would rather have read about how #37 was rushing for 60 yards. Unfortunately we don't get many texans games in California, and my cable provider cut NFL networK, so all I can do is catch highlights. Mario, I feel, will get better, and the Chiefs staying away from him proves that he is better as far as offenses are concerned. Once Mario gets more experience with the speed of the NFL, I think he will become a sack machine.

All in all, I am one very excited Texans Fan. A great start to what will hopefully be a great 2006 year.

tulexan
08-13-2006, 04:34 PM
I'm still interested in seeing Morency in this system. If he has changed his style, he could be a great back for us

gooneybird
08-13-2006, 05:56 PM
It occurred to me while watching the KC game that maybe Reggie Bush would have difficulty conforming to the Kubiak 1-cut/ North and South type of offense. Almost every highlight reel that I have seen, shows Reggie running East and West to get outside of the containment for his big gains. Does anyone else wonder if maybe Kubiak decided in favor of Mario partly because he felt that Reggie would not/could not be convinced that this was the running style that was required within the new Texans offense? Just a thought.

Wolf
08-13-2006, 06:01 PM
not sure, but If our defense wasn't in worse shape than our offense... we take bush, but we had needs defensively worse than offense (FA p/u made sure of that)

Smash_Mouth_Mario
08-13-2006, 06:09 PM

Very true. That's why Bush will not be put in a position to be an every-down back. Give him the ball over and over and over to pound it out on the line? Nope. That would put Bush in a role of power back. And that's what he's not good at. He best when plays breakdown and he has to create on the fly. He's also good at open field (pass) when he has space to run. There's really not a consistent way to predict this. And as a role or RB...that's the negative about Bush. The positive is that he's going to produce spectacular runs that show up on EPSN. The trolls will love this. But Texans have to deal with it until we get a championship. texanpride

He's more like a speedy TB/Receiver. Than a RB.

Historyhorn
08-13-2006, 06:37 PM
The Denver rushing attack with the zone blocking scheme is all about being patient as a back when you approach the point of attack and then making ONE cut and exploding back through the line. Once you make the cut, you go North and South period. They don't want hops, spins, jukes, etc. Make the cut and then haul ass until someone stops you.

When people see this, they say it is a slashing style of running. And while Reggie Bush has the speed to fit this style of rushing attack, he also is partial to bouncing the ball outside, re-direction, and jukes behind the line. All of those are no-nos in this scheme.

On Sirius NFL Radio, they miked Shanahan as he watched a running play during camp. His words were: "Patience, cut, explosion through!"

That's how they can turn a fairly pedestrian back into a massive producer.

All of that leads me to the question: If you can get good to great production from your RB position without having to spend a number one pick, then why don't you select a special player at a spot where you need help. The Seattle Seahawks were number one in QB pressures/sacks last year. The Pittsburgh Steelers were number three in the same category. This is not a coincidence. Indianapolis was one below Pittsburgh. In today's NFL, a great deal of your success is dictated by being able to get pressure on the QB. RB's are a dime a dozen. QB's and DE's are the really tough finds.

I have no qualms or second thoughts about what we did with the first pick. The Texans made a pick based upon who would be the best piece toward building long term success for the system we'll run.

Reggie Bush may be a super back, but I'll bet we have good to great production from our RB position under Kubiak for the forseeable future. If our D turns into a monster that eats QB's for breakfast, then I'll bet we are contending for championships. Williams was simply a piece towards completing a puzzle that ends in year in and year out success for the Texans. Reggie would have been a good piece, but maybe not the right one to fit the vision.

Go Texans

Smash_Mouth_Mario
08-13-2006, 06:53 PM
When people see this, they say it is a slashing style of running. And while Reggie Bush has the speed to fit this style of rushing attack, he also is partial to bouncing the ball outside, re-direction, and jukes behind the line. All of those are no-nos in this scheme.

Bingo!:cowboy1:

By the way, great analysis on RB types, offensive schemes and long term plans for Kubiac.

Doug
08-13-2006, 07:19 PM
Well I'm new to this board, I don't know why it took me so long to get in on it. Maybe if I'd acted sooner I could have shared my suffering for the past few years with the rest of you. Anyway, happy to be here.

Now as for Bush v. Mario and Wali...Bush's 45 yard run was pretty cool, and no matter how much I want him to be bust, I don't think he is going to be. I was surprised to read about Lundy's performance, although I would rather have read about how #37 was rushing for 60 yards. Unfortunately we don't get many texans games in California, and my cable provider cut NFL networK, so all I can do is catch highlights. Mario, I feel, will get better, and the Chiefs staying away from him proves that he is better as far as offenses are concerned. Once Mario gets more experience with the speed of the NFL, I think he will become a sack machine.

All in all, I am one very excited Texans Fan. A great start to what will hopefully be a great 2006 year.

Welcome and congrats on finally getting here! LOL

michaelm
08-13-2006, 07:53 PM

I agree with what you're saying, but we will have the satisfaction of having a better record than either the Aints or the Tacks...

ESAD2-14
08-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Wow, have been listening to 610 am for about 3 hrs now. I think they just declared R. Bush the savior for all mankind. Some guy, Patrick Cortez I think, from the Sporting News needs to purchase a honeymoon suite and go make sweet manlove with Reggie and just get it over with. Yeesh, makes me sick all the pole-smoking going on about this guy.

Lundy had a great game can not wait to see more of him in the future. Hopefuly DD gets back to 100%.

:fans:

exclude
08-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Bush: 8 touches for 69 yards, 8.625 yards per touch, 0 TDs
Lundy: 12 touches for 110 yards 9.167 yards per touch, 1 TD

This comparison is ridiculous.

Bush played about a quarter of a quarter.

Lundi played all 4 quarters.

amazingandre
08-13-2006, 08:43 PM
I watchd the game for the 1st time this morning......in wisconsin couldnt get it.....and was very impressed with wali lundy.....I got to thinking lundy and morency are good enough to share the staring job and keeping taylor and smith as backups......do u think we could get a good saftey for davis just a thought??

powerfuldragon
08-13-2006, 08:44 PM
i kept my eye on wali and i wasn't disappointed...

infantrycak
08-13-2006, 08:46 PM
This comparison is ridiculous.

Bush played about a quarter of a quarter.

Lundi played all 4 quarters.

And that makes a difference how? The question is what a player does with his opportunities not when the opportunities come.

edo783
08-13-2006, 09:18 PM
And that makes a difference how? The question is what a player does with his opportunities not when the opportunities come.

BINGO! Looks like Lundy made better use of the ones he had. Not to say Bush is bad, but Lundy did better on this day. Who knows what it will look like at the end of the season?:cowboy1:

Mr. B
08-13-2006, 09:24 PM
Why is everyone hating on DD all the time. Sure the guy is hurt and has gotten hurt in the past but dang give him a break. This guy busted his ass and was pretty much the only saving grace aside from a few others on this texans team over the past few years.

He was drafted in like what the 3rd round and wasn't even expected to make the team his first year by some peoples talk. He was supposed to be a 3rd down back and ended up being the workhorse when all the other backs like Hollings, Mack, etc were bust.

The new backs look really good and should be great additions to this new Scheme we are running but don't you all think DD at least deserves a chance to run behind a good line and see what he can do if his knee gets better.

phan1
08-13-2006, 09:32 PM

I didn't see that game, but he should have gotten stuffed a few times didn't he? Cause he had 1 play for about 45 yards. The rest would be 9 carries for 19 yards right? I think it's obvious Bush is going to be awsome, but I wonder how much he can do while being in a Saints uniform..

Carr Bombed
08-13-2006, 09:56 PM
Bush had 6 carries for 59 yards to be fair.

All of his other runs were at a 3 ypc avg.

Lundy had 9 carries for 59 yards and a tD

You take away his longest runs and all of his other runs were at a 4.24 ypc avg. Why because he's a better inside rusher. Bush losses ypc avg. on inside runs.

Smash_Mouth_Mario
08-13-2006, 09:58 PM

I didn't see that game, but he should have gotten stuffed a few times didn't he? Cause he had 1 play for about 45 yards. The rest would be 9 carries for 19 yards right? I think it's obvious Bush is going to be awesome, but I wonder how much he can do while being in a Saints uniform..

That's the thing. When he's used like a conventional RB. He gets stopped. He' s not a power back. He doesn't wait for the gaps. He rather juke. So, when plays breakdown or he gets the ball with room to run (in the open field). He uses his speed to get away from others. But once it gets crowded. He's taken down or tripped. That's why he's not great at inside runs.

I remember a few months ago. I was talking with a bunch of NFL friends about drafting Bush. And we looked at game tape from USC. And we dissected his games as much as we could. And that's what we figured out...the inside/scrimmage line was one of his weaknesses. How one uses him is most important. He loves the outside run most.

P.S. Sooner or later they will use him on special teams. They are being conservative now. But on special occasions they will use him for punt returns.

mutapa
08-13-2006, 10:14 PM
Do you seriously have nothing better to do than attack our team? What is actually your real beef over here?

Like I said in another post, we are sorry if you are disturbed and jealous by what you see happening here, and are SO EXCITED that you have Bush then go play with your own people.

You are embarrasing yourself.

:mario: And he is a force to be reckoned with, just keep running your mouth.....

I know that as fans you guys have to put a brave face but I still haven't gotten over that pick. Mario will never be pick of the draft material. There have been many #1 picks who did not pan out, but this one , com'on guys. I still can't believe you passed on Bush and Young.

mutapa
08-13-2006, 10:16 PM
That's the thing. When he's used like a conventional RB. He gets stopped. He' s not a power back. He doesn't wait for the gaps. He rather juke. So, when plays breakdown or he gets the ball with room to run (in the open field). He uses his speed to get away from others. But once it gets crowded. He's taken down or tripped. That's why he's not great at inside runs.

I remember a few months ago. I was talking with a bunch of NFL friends about drafting Bush. And we looked at game tape from USC. And we dissected his games as much as we could. And that's what we figured out...the inside/scrimmage line was one of his weaknesses. How one uses him is most important. He loves the outside run most.

P.S. Sooner or later they will use him on special teams. They are being conservative now. But on special occasions they will use him for punt returns.

Can you say 'Barry Sanders'.

LBC_Justin
08-13-2006, 10:22 PM
All of that leads me to the question: If you can get good to great production from your RB position without having to spend a number one pick, then why don't you select a special player at a spot where you need help. The Seattle Seahawks were number one in QB pressures/sacks last year. The Pittsburgh Steelers were number three in the same category. This is not a coincidence. Indianapolis was one below Pittsburgh. In today's NFL, a great deal of your success is dictated by being able to get pressure on the QB. RB's are a dime a dozen. QB's and DE's are the really tough finds.

I totally agree with you.

Quarterback, Defensive End, Offensive Tackle and Cornerback....maybe WR. Elite players in those positions are the hardest to find and in my opinion are worth the high picks. In the NFL of today Running backs take way too much of a beating and have way too short of a career.

Now I personally sleep better having a solid crew of productive running backs. I like knowing my team is not one busted knee away from the season being over. Personally have never been big on spending high draft picks and big $$$ on running backs. I seems like every time a running back goes down some random guy off the street steps up. (Look at green bay last year.)

I hope Bush has a great career in New Orleans. I wish him the best but honestly I could careless about how well he does or how well the Saints do. They are in another conference and we meet them once every 4 years. Big deal. I feel no rivalry or and have no desire to rub their nose in the dirt like I do with the Cowboys. good luck saints fans (if you are trolling these fourms to rub it in, my only question is....why? if you feel like you got the better deal great, move on.) I am happy with our pick. If nothing else I am more happy with the spirit of our pick. Our team made a statement, to me that statement was...we understand what it takes to be a winning team and are willing to address our weaknesses.

Hervoyel
08-13-2006, 10:35 PM
:cowboy1: If Lundy is in same sentence as Bush we've won . Lets see ... greatest player ever never to have played a real game and Lundy a 6th round pick had good games . We just saved 50 million priceless .

It's entirely possible that by the end of the season Wali Lundy has more yards than Reggie Bush. Reggie would no doubt have many more "highlight" type plays but if Domanick Davis can't go and Lundy demonstrates a knack for this system he could make the Mario pick much more paletable to a lot of the critics. If Deuce comes back and Reggie ends up splitting carries with him then the "gross" numbers could favor the Texans decision at least superficially.

I'm wondering what Jevon Kearse and/or Julius Peppers looked like in their first preseason game. I'm wondering if their first preseason games happened to coincide with their teams first games playing an entirely new defense. Did the guy next to them on the line play that spot last year? Were they the sole new component on their respective lines?

I just think I'm not going to start getting upset about any rookie performance until they've played a few real games. It's not a race to me to demonstrate that this pick (Williams) was a better choice than that one (Bush). Sometime around weeks 8-10 I'll have an opinion on all of that junk.

thunderkyss
08-13-2006, 10:40 PM

The point is that we are lucky, in that we have the luxury to pass on a guy like Reggie Bush...... and still have a formidable running game.

Reggie's game looks even worse, considering they didn't go back to him, after the 44 yard run...... & they didn't get into the endzone.... what was up with that?? another dumb coaching move, or is there more to this whole Reggie Bush thing??

Running all over the Titans mean very little to me, and getting stood up by PacMan Jones is kinda funny.

Now, just so you don't think I'm hating..... there was that one play where Reggie impressed me. The line moved left...... Reggie looked like he was going to hit the gap between the Right tackle, and gaurd. Reggie bounced it outside, and hit two defenders.... he then drug them for at least three yards.

thunderkyss
08-13-2006, 10:46 PM
I know that as fans you guys have to put a brave face but I still haven't gotten over that pick. Mario will never be pick of the draft material. There have been many #1 picks who did not pan out, but this one , com'on guys. I still can't believe you passed on Bush and Young.

we ran for 170(&some odd) yards tonight, we've got three sharp mobile smart QBs....

what exactly are you not getting??

TexansLucky13
08-13-2006, 10:49 PM
If you can get good to great production from your RB position without having to spend a number one pick, then why don't you select a special player at a spot where you need help. The Seattle Seahawks were number one in QB pressures/sacks last year. The Pittsburgh Steelers were number three in the same category. This is not a coincidence. Indianapolis was one below Pittsburgh. In today's NFL, a great deal of your success is dictated by being able to get pressure on the QB. RB's are a dime a dozen. QB's and DE's are the really tough finds.

Exactly. How many top notch DEs can you name? Richard Seymour, Dwight Freeney.... and maybe a small list of runner ups.

How many RBs can you name that receive a ton of attention? For this season, it has to be Larry Johnson, Shaun Alexander, LT, Clinton Portis, Tiki, Cadillac, etc. There is a list of 20 names of guys who are exceptional players.

This is my point. Why burn such a high draft pick, especially when you have Kubiaks system, on a hyped RB?

Lets think about this. Who was the 2nd RB taken? Wasn't it Laurence Mauroney to New England with the 22nd pick? (check me on that) So that means that the majority of the teams in the NFL chose other positions with their valuable top pick. This goes to prove two things....

1) Most teams consider their to pick too valuable to burn on a back.

2) Most teams were satisfied with their runningback situation (which goes hand in hand with the idea that "RBs are a dime a dozen".)

Who receives more attention? Reggie Bush. Who will be a lockdown at their position for the next 10 years? Mario Williams. No one can say that about Reggie.

I could care less about what ESPN thinks. I could care less about what other teams fans think. As Texans fans, we have to take higher ground in this conflict.

Wali Lundy made me smile deep down in my heart. You know why? Because his performance is the first real thing that has convinced me 100% that we didn't need Reggie.

Smash_Mouth_Mario
08-13-2006, 10:57 PM

I think he's more versatile than Sanders in that he's better at the catch and run. True, he has Barry moves. But over-all Bush best in the open field like Marcus Allen (or Gale Sayers).

The Sanders comparison is one of the reason I did NOT like his game. I never liked Barry's game. I could appreciate his moves (oooh, ah...). But as a team concept, I would prefer a Terrell Davis or Emmitt Smith.

I remember watching Sanders games and it would drive me crazy. He'd get 1 yards, 3 yards, then get hit in the back field. They make a pass to the WR and get the 1st down. They try it again. Barry would go for 7 yards, then for 25 yards. Ooooo! Ahhh! Spectacular!

Then, they tried again. 3 yards, incomplete pass, 2, yards, 1 yard. Punt.

That would be the story if his life. It's great for ESPN. But it never work work consistently. I hated his game after watching him do this over and over...

I thought that if we did draft Bush we would have to deal with this and use him with a tandem RB. But trying to go for the homerun every play doesn't work in the play-offs.

southtexan
08-13-2006, 11:01 PM
The Denver rushing attack with the zone blocking scheme is all about being patient as a back when you approach the point of attack and then making ONE cut and exploding back through the line. Once you make the cut, you go North and South period. They don't want hops, spins, jukes, etc. Make the cut and then haul ass until someone stops you.

On Sirius NFL Radio, they miked Shanahan as he watched a running play during camp. His words were: "Patience, cut, explosion through!"

That's how they can turn a fairly pedestrian back into a massive producer.

I have no qualms or second thoughts about what we did with the first pick. The Texans made a pick based upon who would be the best piece toward building long term success for the system we'll run.

Reggie Bush may be a super back, but I'll bet we have good to great production from our RB position under Kubiak for the forseeable future. If our D turns into a monster that eats QB's for breakfast, then I'll bet we are contending for championships. Williams was simply a piece towards completing a puzzle that ends in year in and year out success for the Texans. Reggie would have been a good piece, but maybe not the right one to fit the vision.

Go Texans
Excellent post

thunderkyss
08-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Exactly. How many top notch DEs can you name? Richard Seymour, Dwight Freeney.... and maybe a small list of runner ups.

Strahan.... Umenyoura...... Darren Howard...... Will Smith... Gabaja-Malahaja(sp)..... Jason Taylor.... John Abraham...... Reggie Hayward....... Julius Peppers..... Simeon Rice.........

Just to name a few.

southtexan
08-13-2006, 11:07 PM
I would like to remind you that Barry Sanders won ONLY ONE playoff game.

AFD1717
08-13-2006, 11:28 PM
This is really strange. It feels like I've seen this whole Mario vs. Reggie debate before. What's even stranger is that we don't have any more facts now than we did on draft day, yet we still feel the need to keep repeating the same old arguements for and against. Can we please just let this play out? Only time wil tell and it will take years.

cbnjwill
08-14-2006, 01:19 AM
if u read my message i said im at texans fans not the aints. and when u talk about bush being an overpriced draft pick remember that williams signed a bigger contract then bush.i will back the texans 100% i just dont agree with selecting williams over bush and by the way most of america agrees with me. williams was a guy who took plays off in college hell he never even won a major defensive player award whatsoever in college. bush was a heisman winner who dominated on a back to back championship team, by the way im a longhorn fan as well, but can still admit bush was great a usc.we used our first pick last yr. on a defensive lineman and the yr before we trade 3picks to take babin who is a back up defensive end. then our major free agent pick up this yr was a defensive lineman. with domanick being injury prone we needed an upgrade at rb and he would also help in the passing game and in the return game. i know after one preseason game u think wally lundy is the next coming of terrell davis but its only 60 yrds in a preseason game. if dd is healthy lundy will hardly see the field this yr, but chances are dd wont be. theres along season to go but by the halfway point of the season i think everyone will see that bush should have been the pick. the things this guy can do are amazing it sucks he wont be doing them in houston

KKHouston
08-14-2006, 06:11 AM

Welcome to the message boards! :bananasplit:

O.G.
08-14-2006, 07:30 AM

How many RBs can you name that receive a ton of attention? For this season, it has to be Larry Johnson, Shaun Alexander, LT, Clinton Portis, Tiki, Cadillac, etc. There is a list of 20 names of guys who are exceptional players.

This is my point. Why burn such a high draft pick, especially when you have Kubiaks system, on a hyped RB?

Lets think about this. Who was the 2nd RB taken? Wasn't it Laurence Mauroney to New England with the 22nd pick? (check me on that) So that means that the majority of the teams in the NFL chose other positions with their valuable top pick. This goes to prove two things....

1) Most teams consider their to pick too valuable to burn on a back.

2) Most teams were satisfied with their runningback situation (which goes hand in hand with the idea that "RBs are a dime a dozen".)

Who receives more attention? Reggie Bush. Who will be a lockdown at their position for the next 10 years? Mario Williams. No one can say that about Reggie.

I could care less about what ESPN thinks. I could care less about what other teams fans think. As Texans fans, we have to take higher ground in this conflict.

Wali Lundy made me smile deep down in my heart. You know why? Because his performance is the first real thing that has convinced me 100% that we didn't need Reggie.

I totally agree. Wali had a great game and what I like about it, he picked up the block which got us a touchdown as well as a long passing gain. Regardless if he got blasted in the process. Is he as elusive as Bush, no. Is he as fast as Bush, no. But I think the main question everyone needs to ask themselves is does Wali Lundy have to be in the system we have here. The answer to that is also NO. You know who Bush reminds me of, V. Morrency. Why.....Because he dances in the whole. That's exactly what Kubiak doesn't want. Remember Lundy had an ex NFL coach as well when he was in College and he was in the same Zone Blocking Scheme as Denver.

thunderkyss
08-14-2006, 07:50 AM
if u read my message i said im at texans fans not the aints. and when u talk about bush being an overpriced draft pick remember that williams signed a bigger contract then bush.i will back the texans 100% i just dont agree with selecting williams over bush and by the way most of america agrees with me.

First, it doesn't matter what most of America thinks...... I'm just saying this argument holds no water with me, or any fan on this board, who considers himself a football guy.

williams was a guy who took plays off in college hell he never even won a major defensive player award whatsoever in college. bush was a heisman winner who dominated on a back to back championship team,

I'll admit, I didn't watch all of his games, but from what I saw, he did not dominate...... Lendale was the dominant runningback, his QB was drafted in the top ten, and his offensive line was better than most. He's played on teams with dominant recievers, another dominant RB, and a dominant QB...... he caught the defense by surprise, because they never knew when he was going to get the ball, and they had a bunch of people to worry about.

by the way im a longhorn fan as well, but can still admit bush was great a usc.

I agree the highlights were exciting..... but I don't think REggie coming out of college is on the same level as Ricky Williams, LT, or REggie Brown, and none of those guys were picked first.

we used our first pick last yr. on a defensive lineman and the yr before we trade 3picks to take babin who is a back up defensive end. then our major free agent pick up this yr was a defensive lineman.

Very good and Valid points.

with domanick being injury prone we needed an upgrade at rb and he would also help in the passing game and in the return game.

I don't know about all that. #1, there has never ever been a #1 overall pick used on special teams, that wasn't considered a bust. There is a reason for that. Besides, our return game is fine, and definitely not in need of any extra help.

We got help for our passing game....... Moulds, Daniels, Putz....... Cook, Walther..... we're good, and DD is pretty strong in the passing game as well as our running game.

Fix the line, and DD will be fine. He ranks up their with the best in the league, on attempts per game, behind the worst line in the NFL.... whatever pass you give David Carr, please extend it to DD as well.

Please.

i know after one preseason game u think wally lundy is the next coming of terrell davis but its only 60 yrds in a preseason game. if dd is healthy lundy will hardly see the field this yr, but chances are dd wont be. theres along season to go but by the halfway point of the season i think everyone will see that bush should have been the pick. the things this guy can do are amazing it sucks he wont be doing them in houston

Even if Mario is a bust........ I'll never see Reggie Bush as being the right pick on a Kubiak(little Denver) coached team......... never.

NATHANHALE
08-14-2006, 08:33 AM
OK, here's the deal--give me a dollar for every time Bush's name is mentioned on the board, take a dollar every time Young's name is mentioned---just this game alone I'd make several hundred bucks--don't you know how much our players love hearing all the Bush talk!!

edo783
08-14-2006, 08:38 AM
Ask your self this:

Can/would Reggie EVER be a one cut and go back that works in this offense? If no, then we made the right choice. IMO, that would never happen as Reggie wants to feelance and make big plays. Not the type of back Kubiak likes or wants for his system. Remember what Kubiak told Morency, a guy who likes to freelance and make big plays, he said..."I DON'T LIKE HOW YOU RUN, you have to make one cut and go". The unstated part is "Or else". Reggie didn't fit and Mario does and that's why he is here.

phantom17
08-14-2006, 08:56 AM
if u read my message i said im at texans fans not the aints. and when u talk about bush being an overpriced draft pick remember that williams signed a bigger contract then bush.i will back the texans 100% i just dont agree with selecting williams over bush and by the way most of america agrees with me. williams was a guy who took plays off in college hell he never even won a major defensive player award whatsoever in college. bush was a heisman winner who dominated on a back to back championship team, by the way im a longhorn fan as well, but can still admit bush was great a usc.we used our first pick last yr. on a defensive lineman and the yr before we trade 3picks to take babin who is a back up defensive end. then our major free agent pick up this yr was a defensive lineman. with domanick being injury prone we needed an upgrade at rb and he would also help in the passing game and in the return game. i know after one preseason game u think wally lundy is the next coming of terrell davis but its only 60 yrds in a preseason game. if dd is healthy lundy will hardly see the field this yr, but chances are dd wont be. theres along season to go but by the halfway point of the season i think everyone will see that bush should have been the pick. the things this guy can do are amazing it sucks he wont be doing them in houston

So why are you slammin' on our pick- Mario, who is a bigger need than Bush! Let's face D wins playoffs & superbowls- it's been proven time & time again! Sure, I think Bush will be a great all-purpose back for yrs to come, but this team needs a grind it out style whick Kubiaks prefers- remember our coach has one superbowl rings as a coach & player, & he knows what players fits his system, plus as a RB your always a hit away from an injury. Remember Denvers' philosophy on RBs works well with them & I think will work here! I'm sorry that I called an AINTS troll, but we have to move on-the future hasn't been written yet on these two players!:) :poker:

HJam72
08-14-2006, 09:02 AM
We need to simplify this situation and just make Mario our tailback. :wacko:

Vambo, the Marble Eye
08-14-2006, 09:04 AM

Let me speed this up for you so there will be no reason for you to post anything in the next couple of months;

a) no, b) not going to happen c) worst ever d) everyone is stupid but I know football better than people that get paid to make decisions, e) I am always right f) never g):pigfly: :thumbdown :loser

Done now?

HJam72
08-14-2006, 09:05 AM
Let me speed this up for you so there will be no reason for you to post anything in the next couple of months;

a) no, b) not going to happen c) worst ever d) everyone is stupid but I know football better than people that get paid to make decisions, e) I am always right f) never g):pigfly: :thumbdown :loser

Done now?

And he's humble too. :ok:

phantom17
08-14-2006, 09:11 AM
We need to simplify this situation and just make Mario our tailback. :wacko:

Yeah, and by the way the AINTS need to make Reggie their DE!:ok: :shades: :tease:

thunderkyss
08-14-2006, 09:16 AM
So why are you slammin' on our pick- Mario, who is a bigger need than Bush! Let's face D wins playoffs & superbowls- it's been proven time & time again! Sure, I think Bush will be a great all-purpose back for yrs to come, but this team needs a grind it out style whick Kubiaks prefers- remember our coach has one superbowl rings as a coach & player, & he knows what players fits his system, plus as a RB your always a hit away from an injury. Remember Denvers' philosophy on RBs works well with them & I think will work here! I'm sorry that I called an AINTS troll, but we have to move on-the future hasn't been written yet on these two players!:) :poker:

to be fair, he mentioned we picked a defensive lineman last year, we traded two picks to move up and get a DE in the draft before that, & we gave a big contract to a FA DE........... so in his mind, DE was not a bigger need. & the way we signed Smith, showed interest in Bennette, and DDs participation in practice, and absence from Saturday's game, it would appear to him that Running Back is a bigger need.

heck, the fact that our best pass rushing formation moves Mario inside, and puts last years DEs on the outside helps make his point.

Reggie not fitting in the one cut & go argument is a good one...... his performance Saturday would prove otherwise, as that's all he did.

IMHO, the sit down interviews with our people is a bigger piece of the puzzle than a lot of people want to recognize. Our people sat with his people, and we didn't like what we saw........... Otherwise, Reggie would've been a Texan. & believe me, it hurts for me to say that.

so.. for this argument.... cbnjwill............ let's assume Reggie Talked himself out of being the first pick..... who would you have picked?? Trade down is not an option, unless you trade out of the top 10.

NATHANHALE
08-15-2006, 05:05 PM
"•RB Reggie Bush drew more than just rave reviews for his fancy footwork Saturday against Tennessee. He also drew a fine for wearing Adidas; the league has deals with Reebok and Nike. Bush said he didn't know what the fine was; he said Adidas paid it."

..just like mom and pop--'chip off the old block'--is he related to Mau......?

jdog
08-15-2006, 06:55 PM

Name your team. I want to know who you back as opposed to who you attack.

cbnjwill
08-16-2006, 12:22 AM
to answer your question who i would have taken if i go by the premise that bush talked himself out of the number pick . well i guess ill go with the fact that we already signed carr to his bonus because if not i would draft vince. so if i take vince and reggie out of the equation i would strongly consider williams but because we have already address the d line so much i would try to trade down, im sure i could have traded down and remained in the top ten but to continue with your senario i would have went with the best defensive player i feltwas in the draft and also at the time a huge need for the texans i would have taken ohio st. linebacker a.j. hawk who i thought was the best defensive player in the draft

thunderkyss
08-16-2006, 08:16 AM
to answer your question who i would have taken if i go by the premise that bush talked himself out of the number pick . well i guess ill go with the fact that we already signed carr to his bonus because if not i would draft vince. so if i take vince and reggie out of the equation i would strongly consider williams but because we have already address the d line so much i would try to trade down, im sure i could have traded down and remained in the top ten but to continue with your senario i would have went with the best defensive player i feltwas in the draft and also at the time a huge need for the texans i would have taken ohio st. linebacker a.j. hawk who i thought was the best defensive player in the draft

I'm assuming... since there were no trades amoung the top ten teams, and no one trading into the top ten, that you'd have to accept a trade out of the top ten to keep it real.

Of course, there are no wrong answers....... your opinion is your opinion.... but I must say.......... strange...

Considering we gave up 208 sacks over the last 4 years, I would have thought you'd pick D'Brick..... I think picking D'Brick would have been an easier sell. Personally, I don't think that much of him..... I thought he was too big & too slow for what we wanted to do, then we turn around and pick Spencer...... who is bigger, and slower.......

Had we picked D'Brick, I wonder if we'd addressed DLine at all....... I doubt it.

While I have absolutely no problem coming to terms with the fact that we passed on ReggieBush, like you I do/did question the Mario pick, especially after seeing Babin and Peek play the other night. If Weaver works out at DE.... more questions.

But I see Mario....... like Vince. He's definitely Talented enough to play in this league.... At defensive end......... .it's possible for him to start. But he's going to get better..... along the lines of BruceSmith or Reggie White... if you believe the hype.

Even if AJHawk can be the next lawrenceTaylor... I don't know if I'd trade Reggie White for LT.

But hey, if Hawk was the pick, I'd be behind him too..... so oh well.

The Duke
08-16-2006, 11:37 AM
Bush is faster, and can change direction better, but I like the way Lundi hits the hole in the middle.

Jerry Jones
08-16-2006, 11:52 AM
texan fans you ve probably heard it a thousand times but all in all you made the worst decision in draft history.... you will come up with excuse after excuse to defend your shame but deep down inside you know that the texans messed up big time by taking mario over bush...i like the texans, i wish them well this season but i have never met a fan in person that said they were happy with the pick....unless mario turns into reggie white soon this will haunt you for a long time... mario has so much pressure now....he has to at least get 12 sacks a year for all that money....i hope im proven wrong because when im not cheering for my cowboys im cheering for the texans!

BattleRedRaider
08-16-2006, 12:15 PM
texan fans you ve probably heard it a thousand times but all in all you made the worst decision in draft history.... you will come up with excuse after excuse to defend your shame but deep down inside you know that the texans messed up big time by taking mario over bush...i like the texans, i wish them well this season but i have never met a fan in person that said they were happy with the pick....unless mario turns into reggie white soon this will haunt you for a long time... mario has so much pressure now....he has to at least get 12 sacks a year for all that money....i hope im proven wrong because when im not cheering for my cowboys im cheering for the texans!

Hey, how's Drew Henson doing?

phantom17
08-16-2006, 12:31 PM

Jerry can you give me some money!:redtowel:

cuppacoffee
08-16-2006, 12:38 PM

Then you obviously have no clue about the other ways Mario can have an effect on the d-line.

Worse decision in draft history? Hardly.

Sounds like a troll comment to me.:hunter:

Do your homework jerry, and come back when you have something of substance to add...:hides:

Strange.....I couldn't care less about the boys draft choices (excepting Irish players) but here is a boys fan on the Texans MB slamming the Texans top draft pick...:crying:

:coffee:

Jerry Jones
08-16-2006, 12:38 PM
Hey, how's Drew Henson doing?
he's about to get the axe!

Jerry Jones
08-16-2006, 12:40 PM
Then you obviously have no clue about the other ways Mario can have an effect on the d-line.

Worse decision in draft history? Hardly.

Sounds like a troll comment to me.:hunter:

Do your homework jerry, and come back when you have something of substance to add...:hides:

Strange.....I couldn't care less about the boys draft choices (excepting Irish players) but here is a boys fan on the Texans MB slamming the Texans top draft pick...:crying:

:coffee:i would love to hear what other ways mario is worth over 50 mil!

BattleRedRaider
08-16-2006, 12:45 PM
he's about to get the axe!

Then start Tony Romo, damnit!

thunderkyss
08-16-2006, 01:18 PM
How do we know Mario won't get 12 sacks a year??

I still believe if we are in the top 10 of rushing offense...... we didn't make a bad choice.

If we average something over 21 points/game(I'm predicting more at least 24ppg) then we didn't do anything wrong.

If we have a winning season(I'm predicting more than 10 wins) we didn't make any mistakes on draft day.

cbnjwill
08-16-2006, 01:30 PM
thunderkyss ur predicting more than 10 wins this season for the texans? bold prediction if u feel strongly about that u should go to vegas and bet some cash because u could get great odds on that prediction. if nothing else i would take some of the action even though im a texans fan no way can isee them winning 11 games this yr. they actuallly have a tough schedule considering they were the worst team in the league last yr. i think they will be around the 6-8 win mark this yr.

cuppacoffee
08-16-2006, 01:34 PM
i would love to hear what other ways mario is worth over 50 mil!

Thus proving my point for me.

"Then you obviously have no clue about the other ways Mario can have an effect on the d-line."

This may give you an idea of what Texan fans think about our choice of MW. (http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=23610)

Who cares what boys fans think?

Personally, if I wanted your opinion on our draft choices I would go to the boys MB (you do have one, don't you?) and give you one...:D

Have a nice day.

Jerry Jones
08-16-2006, 02:38 PM
Thus proving my point for me.

"Then you obviously have no clue about the other ways Mario can have an effect on the d-line."

This may give you an idea of what Texan fans think about our choice of MW. (http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=23610)

Who cares what boys fans think?

Personally, if I wanted your opinion on our draft choices I would go to the boys MB (you do have one, don't you?) and give you one...:D

Have a nice day.

well im waiting for an answer?? why try to dodge my question...:tease:

CloakNNNdagger
08-24-2006, 12:48 PM
Had to post this piece

Oddsmakers are already giving Bush The Offensive Rookie of the year. Lundi is a 35:1 shot. Odds are..... (http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060824/to451.html?.v=2)

Come to think of it, maybe they're referring to another meaning of "offensive"...you think?

Bearfan Blue and Orange
08-24-2006, 01:02 PM
I'm a big Bama fan. Here is a quote from Bama defensive coach Kines: "Demeco isn't the strongest or the fastest linebacker on our team, but he has a nose for the ball and it seems like he is almost always there." Demeco got the first tackle in the game.

This sounds like a linebacker many may remember that is a HOFer now.

Mike Singletary!!!

I hope Demeco continues to play with his instincts.

PhillyFan
08-24-2006, 01:53 PM

Without a doubt.

Unfortunately, behind the Texans offensive line, he would look absolutely horrible. The same way he will look for the next 2 or 3 years in NO.

Thats the problem with being a terrific prospect, and being drafted number 1 or 2. You always end up playing with a supporting cast that sucks.

infantrycak
08-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Without a doubt.

Unfortunately, behind the Texans offensive line, he would look absolutely horrible. The same way he will look for the next 2 or 3 years in NO.

Thats the problem with being a terrific prospect, and being drafted number 1 or 2. You always end up playing with a supporting cast that sucks.

Guess he is really thanking his stars he didn't go to Philly then:

Houston 5.1 ypc, 158 ypg
Philly 2.9 ypc, 79.7 ypg

jerek
08-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Bush vs. the Tacks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-6lEyBcqTE)

If you look at the highlights - #93 Bosch and #22 over pursues and if they stayed home and contained Bush that run would have gone for naught. If I am the opposing DC I make RB go inside. Do not let him hit the outside.

Containment!

Sssh ... ESPN might hear.

PhillyFan
08-24-2006, 03:22 PM
Guess he is really thanking his stars he didn't go to Philly then:

Houston 5.1 ypc, 158 ypg
Philly 2.9 ypc, 79.7 ypg

Can I ask where that stat came from please?

real
08-24-2006, 03:25 PM
Can I ask where that stat came from please?

My guess is this pre-season...whats your point ? It would have to be pre-season seeing as those are the only games Bush has played in...right ?

PhillyFan
08-24-2006, 03:26 PM
My guess is this pre-season...whats your point ? It would have to be pre-season seeing as those are the only games Bush has played in...right ?

My point is, if its the preseason, its Jim Bob Jones rushing the ball.

Preseason stats mean as much now as they will 16 weeks from now.

Not a darn thing.

If you need to use preseason stats to pump yourself up, have a blast. But youre only fooling yourself.

infantrycak
08-24-2006, 03:33 PM
If you need to use preseason stats to pump yourself up, have a blast. But youre only fooling yourself.

Whoohoo get to whip this out:

:potkettle:

Said the Philly fan talking about team achievements from 2004.

Preseason is certainly not regular season but (a) Houston wasn't a bad rushing team last year and (b) it is going to be an even better one this year which so far has been consistant with the preseason performance. Now Philly and its 28th ranked rushing attack 3.9 ypc last year shouldn't be talking smack about the Texans 15th ranked rushing attack at 4.2 ypc last year.

jerek
08-24-2006, 03:35 PM

Preseason is certainly not regular season but (a) Houston wasn't a bad rushing team last year and (b) it is going to be an even better one this year which so far has been consistant with the preseason performance. Now Philly and its 28th ranked rushing attack 3.9 ypc last year shouldn't be talking smack about the Texans 15th ranked rushing attack at 4.2 ypc last year.

Ouch, said the Philly fan.

How's McNubb looking this year?

real
08-24-2006, 03:37 PM

Classic.

AFD1717
08-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Had to post this piece

Oddsmakers are already giving Bush The Offensive Rookie of the year. Lundi is a 35:1 shot. Odds are..... (http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060824/to451.html?.v=2)

Come to think of it, maybe they're referring to another meaning of "offensive"...you think?
My favorite was when one of the ESPN talking heads was going on and on after the Dallas game about how Reggie Bush was going to be the OROY and in the same segment they showed his 1.8 ypc average on the screen and nobody said a word about it. They just kept showing the same two good runs over and over from different angles. Somehow the one where DeMarcus Ware drops him solo in the open field didn't get shown.

Does Reggie Bush have pictures of some ESPN exec cheating on his wife?

trutexan02
08-24-2006, 05:12 PM
thunderkyss ur predicting more than 10 wins this season for the texans? bold prediction if u feel strongly about that u should go to vegas and bet some cash because u could get great odds on that prediction. if nothing else i would take some of the action even though im a texans fan no way can isee them winning 11 games this yr. they actuallly have a tough schedule considering they were the worst team in the league last yr. i think they will be around the 6-8 win mark this yr.

I'm in agreement with you. 6-8 we did enoguih in the draft and front office to put thisteam back on the road it was on at the end of 04.

PhillyFan
08-24-2006, 05:14 PM
Wow. I feel so dejected now.

Please quote me on the stats I used from 2004. Im anxiously awaiting that.

The only stat you will ever see me use is wins and losses. Everything else is irrelevant. You could rush for 32,000 yards a year, but if you have 2 wins, it amounts to nothing.

The Eagles had 6 wins last year. How many did the Texans have? Ahh, right...

See? I come over to your boards for a friendly discussion, and your "Senior Moderator" is the one starting things with visiting posters.

PhillyFan
08-24-2006, 05:16 PM
How's McNubb looking this year?

Very good thank you. He is healthy again, and playing well.

If you didnt catch it, take a peek at the video from the first drive of the Hall of Fame Game.

infantrycak
08-24-2006, 05:28 PM
See? I come over to your boards for a friendly discussion, and your "Senior Moderator" is the one starting things with visiting posters.

Someone actually talks football and disturbs you from your "we are better and you don't stand a chance" chest thumping and you get your panties up your crack? I'd have thought Philly fans were a little tougher.

Of all the things to slam on the Texans as a Philly fan (i.e. you starting things), the running game was the poorest choice around (aka very uninformed).

PhillyFan
08-24-2006, 05:35 PM
Someone actually talks football and disturbs you from your "we are better and you don't stand a chance" chest thumping and you get your panties up your crack? I'd have thought Philly fans were a little tougher.

Of all the things to slam on the Texans as a Philly fan (i.e. you starting things), the running game was the poorest choice around (aka very uninformed).

Are you mentally challenged?

I think you might have read someone elses post as mine or something...or you just cant read...

Not once did I even talk about the Texans running game :confused:

If I were to start on the Texans, my first point of attack would be the Quarterback. Who by the way....sucks...

Then I would pick on your record.

Then I would pick on the fact the Eagles have played in more playoff games in the last 2 years, than you have in the history of your franchise...

There are a lot of points I could pick on the Texans about. Their running game isnt one of them.

Vinny
08-24-2006, 05:37 PM
My point is, if its the preseason, its Jim Bob Jones rushing the ball.

Preseason is certainly not regular season but (a) Houston wasn't a bad rushing team last year and (b) it is going to be an even better one this year which so far has been consistant with the preseason performance. Now Philly and its 28th ranked rushing attack 3.9 ypc last year shouldn't be talking smack about the Texans 15th ranked rushing attack at 4.2 ypc last year. http://hokiestone.net/v/WINSLOW-OWNED.gif

infantrycak
08-24-2006, 05:46 PM

And yet another opportunity-- :potkettle:

SESupergenius
08-24-2006, 05:47 PM

I think you might have read someone elses post as mine or something...or you just cant read...

If I were to start on the Texans, my first point of attack would be the Quarterback. Who by the way....sucks...

Then I would pick on the fact the Eagles have played in more playoff games in the last 2 years, than you have in the history of your franchise...

There are a lot of points I could pick on the Texans about. Their running game isnt one of them.
Well it's very hard to predict where the Texans will be compared to the 2-14 team we had last year because our team has gone through so much change. We have a completely new offense and defense, new coaching staff, new GM and added veteran talent. The only thing teams can guage this team with is the similarities with Denver. I'm not saying we are the same as Denver, well not yet anyways, but that is the closet thing to compare us to. No way you can compare us to the 2-14 teams we had last year. Can care to guess what Philly did with Denver the last time they met? It wasn't pretty for Philly.

PhillyFan
08-24-2006, 05:47 PM
I think you were talking about Bush and the running game right?:francis:

And that has to do with the Texans rushing game how???

Man...you guys and your 2-14 teams.

You really need to stretch to feel good about yourself. Sad...really...

BigDTexansFan
08-24-2006, 06:02 PM

you forgot to mention is Bush is...OVERRATED!!!! less the slobbered all over 44 yard run Bush has carried 9 times for 22 yards an avg of 2.44 yards a carry. YAWN!!!!:crutch:

infantrycak
08-24-2006, 06:07 PM

Unfortunately, behind the Texans offensive line, he would look absolutely horrible.

:crazy:

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-24-2006, 06:53 PM
Reggie Bush ---> running back ---> Texans offensive line ---> look horrible running behind our offensive line

Yea, I don't see the connection to the Texans rushing game either. lol

Carr Bombed
08-24-2006, 07:36 PM

Man...you guys and your 2-14 teams.

You really need to stretch to feel good about yourself. Sad...really...

If I were you I really wouldn't talk about other peoples teams. It must really suck to play in a division where everytime you talk smack to divisional rivals you get knocked down by the SB trump card. Historically known as the NFC East whipping boys. Ya'll had ya'lls little run (Buffalo Bills B team) when the NFC East and conference was a joke. (Philly wouldn't survive in the AFC). Now this year the 3 big teams will step up and knock little brother back down. In fact when was the last time Philly won anything at anything, probably not even in your lifetime.

Man........you guys and your underachieving pro sports teams.

The Pencil Neck
08-24-2006, 08:44 PM

Well, comparing the tradition of a 70+ year old franchise with one that's only had 4 seasons is just sad. Last year, you had 6 wins... so... you really weren't very good last year, either. You've got just as much to prove as we do.

If you want to compare apples to something resembling apples, it took the Eagles 12 years before they had a team with a winning record. We've still got 8 years before you can talk smack about that.

Our QB is, unfortunately, a source of a lot of debate even among the fans. A lot of us blame his development on some bad coaching but even so, a couple of years ago, he threw for over 3500 yards. McNabb has only thrown for more yards than that once in his career. Carr has thrown for a higher completion percentage than McNabb. McNabb is a better, more experienced QB and has thrown for more TD's and less INT's than DC but the difference might not be as great as you think.

CloakNNNdagger
08-25-2006, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by The Dream

..........If he lives that long. Lundy is a strong runner who has definitely shown that he is able to make yardage between the tackles, and to carry some defenders on his back a couple of extra yards if he needs to.

The Saints, on the other hand, better hope and pray that Duece can "carry the load" AND stay healthy, because Bush will not be able to function in the NFL without his trusty complimentary work horse......if even then. Let's look at how many carries Bush had last year in each of his 12 games..................12, 8, 20, 17, 14, 15, 8, 17, 12, 17 23, 24, respectively (plus 13 in the Rose Bowl). My opinion is that Bush will get killed in this league because his outside game will not be there with the faster NFL D, and forcing him to to run between tackles will soon resemble a hari kari maneuver. In college he was able to avoid major repeated contact due to his elusiveness. In the NFL, his body parts will be introduced to many a brick wall.

HOU-TEX
08-25-2006, 09:01 AM
If I were you I really wouldn't talk about other peoples teams. It must really suck to play in a division where everytime you talk smack to divisional rivals you get knocked down by the SB trump card. Historically known as the NFC East whipping boys. Ya'll had ya'lls little run (Buffalo Bills B team) when the NFC East and conference was a joke. (Philly wouldn't survive in the AFC). Now this year the 3 big teams will step up and knock little brother back down. In fact when was the last time Philly won anything at anything, probably not even in your lifetime.

Man........you guys and your underachieving pro sports teams.

Well let's see....the Phillies..hmm...no...the 76ers....hmm...no...well I guess they haven't won diddly. Wait! Ya'll have a hockey team, right? Are they good? Do ya'll have a WNBA team? Maybe they're good. Stick with hockey, yankee doodle dandy.

thunderkyss
08-25-2006, 09:02 AM
http://hokiestone.net/v/WINSLOW-OWNED.gif

Vinny....... for us of lesser intelligence, can you help us understand how Kevin Winslow getting de-cleated figures into this discussion...... please??

texan279
08-25-2006, 09:03 AM
Vinny....... for us of lesser intelligence, can you help us understand how Kevin Winslow getting de-cleated figures into this discussion...... please??

He is saying that phillyfan got owned by cak.

Smash_Mouth_Mario
08-25-2006, 09:11 AM
Without a doubt.

Phillyfan,

There are a few things you are overlooking...

One, the fact that our OL has improved. Especially under Kubiac. And two, whether or not Reggie would do well in our Texans offense. It's important to know that this wouldn't be due to our OL (like N.O.), but rather because of Bush's style doesn't fit in what Kubiac would like to do with his RBs. I'm not saying that Kubiac wouldn't find a place for him. Of course he could. It's just that there was this amazing DE that he'd rather have to solidify our defense for the next ten years. Add that to his offensive knowledge in getting the best out of our RBs. It was the best of both worlds for Kubiac.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-25-2006, 09:22 AM
8487 days, 9 hours, 22 minutes, and 23 seconds have passed since a major Philadelphia sports team won a championship!

PhillyFan
08-25-2006, 10:52 AM
Phillyfan,

There are a few things you are overlooking...

One, the fact that our OL has improved. Especially under Kubiac. And two, whether or not Reggie would do well in our Texans offense. It's important to know that this wouldn't be due to our OL (like N.O.), but rather because of Bush's style doesn't fit in what Kubiac would like to do with his RBs. I'm not saying that Kubiac wouldn't find a place for him. Of course he could. It's just that there was this amazing DE that he'd rather have to solidify our defense for the next ten years. Add that to his offensive knowledge in getting the best out of our RBs. It was the best of both worlds for Kubiac.

Oh, there is no doubt that your offensive line has improved. Im not overlooking that at all. Just realizing that the coaching that was in place wasnt working is a step in the right direction.

To be honest, I dont think I could think of anyone better than Kubiak to bring in. When you look at Denvers run history, there is no questioning the system. It works. It can produce a 1000 yard rusher every year, just like clockwork. And when you look at what happened to those rushers when they left Denver, it really shows that they were a product of the system, and not particularly spectacular athletes.

However, it does take some time for everything to gel. I watched your first and second preseaon games, and there appear to be a few kinks that need to be worked out. Philly's defensive line is going to give them a true test, I promise you that. If the Texans can hold the Eagles to under 6 sacks on Carr, I would probably consider that good. When you see the Eagles blitz from their nickle package, you will understand why. Its nasty...

Back to the subject at hand though, Davis is definitely a talented back. He should have a good year, and by week 8, I think you guys might be on a roll once everything is working.

You guys are a year or two away from making the playoffs. I think you should see 8-8 this year, and a mid first round pick should help you see 9 or 10 wins next year.

Smash_Mouth_Mario
08-25-2006, 06:40 PM
When you look at Denvers run history, there is no questioning the system. It works. It can produce a 1000 yard rusher every year, just like clockwork. And when you look at what happened to those rushers when they left Denver, it really shows that they were a product of the system, and not particularly spectacular athletes.

Except for one back: Terrell Davis. He was freak of nature (although shorten career).

When you look at Denvers run history, there is no questioning the system. It works. It can produce a 1000 yard rusher every year, just like clockwork. And when you look at what happened to those rushers when they left Denver, it really shows that they were a product of the system, and not particularly spectacular athletes.

Back to the subject at hand though, Davis is definitely a talented back. He should have a good year, and by week 8, I think you guys might be on a

We'll be using a multi-back core. It's the Kubiac way. Sure, I'd love to have a Shaun Alexander, Tiki Barber, or Larry Johnson. But we can't.

http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/08/which_texans_running_back_will.html

bayoudreamn
08-25-2006, 06:46 PM

...and I'm glad we've got Lundi.....and not Bush.

bayoudreamn
08-25-2006, 06:52 PM
We'll see who the real deal is here next fall when the Saints come marching into Reliant and go whimpering out with their tails firmly tucked.

we don't have to wait that long.....I watched them last week.....theyyyy.....don't play the game very well

bayoudreamn
08-25-2006, 06:53 PM
Oh wow....I just noticed I've been responding to week old posts. Ooops.....sorry...I've been busy this week and haven't been in here much.

SESupergenius
08-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Forget Bush.....DeAngelo Williams. Saw some good things from him.

Vinny
08-25-2006, 07:02 PM
Except for one back: Terrell Davis. He was freak of nature (although shorten career).Davis was 5'11" and 215 w/"normal speed" and hardly a freak of nature.

thunderkyss
08-25-2006, 08:21 PM
Davis was 5'11" and 215 w/"normal speed" and hardly a freak of nature.

He had great vision...... enough speed....... enough power....... and all the other intangibles you like to see in a blue collar 'back....... kinda like DD.

I know DD won't ever be Terrell Davis..... but I think he can be just as special.

infantrycak
08-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Kubiac

Folks--let's try to get our own coach's name correct. It is Kubiak. The only reason I mention this is I have seen it too much lately to be a typo. It looks bad if we don't get his name right, just like:

It is Y'ALL not YA'LL

AFD1717
08-28-2006, 12:17 AM
For those of us who didn't see the game - how did these guys look? I can look at the numbers and they don't tell me much. How did the offense work with one vs. the other? Did either one stake a claim to the (interim) number 1 job? I'm kind of expecting to hear that they ran similarly but Morency looked better blocking. Am I right?

quicksilver
08-28-2006, 12:25 AM
For those of us who didn't see the game - how did these guys look? I can look at the numbers and they don't tell me much. How did the offense work with one vs. the other? Did either one stake a claim to the (interim) number 1 job? I'm kind of expecting to hear that they ran similarly but Morency looked better blocking. Am I right?

Having not yet rewatched the game, I will tell you that my impression was that Lundy blocked better. Based on how much longer Lundy was on the field than Morency, and, in my opinion, he played quite well and showed improvement, it looks to me like Kubiak is giving Lundy every opportunity to be the clear #1.

Smash_Mouth_Mario
08-28-2006, 12:29 AM
Forget Bush.....DeAngelo Williams. Saw some good things from him.

Yeah, he'll be one to watch.

Vinny
08-28-2006, 12:30 AM
He is saying that phillyfan got owned by cak.bingo...some smart guy once said that a picture is worth a thousand words.

Smash_Mouth_Mario
08-28-2006, 12:33 AM
Davis was 5'11" and 215 w/"normal speed" and hardly a freak of nature.

I think you are overlooking a few things. Earl Campbell was 5'10" and 225. He had very good speed. But was know for his BULL POWER.

Terrell Davis's legs where extremely powerful, like Earl. And he could carry 2-3 defenders like few other backs. He also had the ability to change direction and excellent vision. But it was his power that was the freaky part. The guy was built to be a running back.

And just in case you don't remember here are TD's rushing stats before he got injured.

Year, team, games, att, yards, y/a, TDs

| 1995 den | 14 | 237 | 1117 | 4.7 | 7
| 1996 den | 16 | 345 | 1538 | 4.5 | 13
| 1997 den | 15 | 369 | 1750 | 4.7 | 15
| 1998 den | 16 | 392 | 2008 | 5.1 | 21

He's a Super Bowl MVP, League MVP, Offensive player of the Year winner...see TD, using his "normal speed" --->PROOF (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxREY2JPs8I)

Chris Taylor MVP
08-28-2006, 12:44 AM
True, the Texans have good running backs, but they also have a great running back, Chris Taylor. If the Texans would let Chris get the chance everyone else is getting, he will make people stop talking about Lundy, Bush, Morency, Smith, DD and Rhodes. Come on guys rally behind me on this one, and the Texans won't be looking down the road for a running back. Chris can get the job done every time.
He just needs enough reps and the time to prove himself in the game at running back. He's doing great on special teams. Let's give the man a fair chance and start him next game.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-28-2006, 12:49 AM
Sorry but Chris Taylor is not a great running back and he is not a beast.

HJam72
08-28-2006, 03:52 AM
Sorry but Chris Taylor is not a great running back and he is not a beast.

No, but he might be our best QB, lol.

Hey, you never know. idonno:

trane
09-05-2006, 11:58 AM
It seems the Mario v Reggie debate still lingers on this message board. However, I predict that because of the Texans's new offense and zone blocking scheme by season's end, Lundy will have more rushing yards than Bush.

I also think that Lundy is a offensive rookie of the year candiate.

powerfuldragon
09-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Useless to talk about this before the regular season even starts. there'll be another thread comparing bush to lundy and/or mario on sept. 11 which will be equally useless because you can't determine anything off one regular season nfl game. this discussion will actually be interesting at the END of this season.

LBC_Justin
09-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Lets say the stats listed below are the results after the 2006 season.

2006:
Wali Lundy: 335 carries, 1750 yds rushing, 50 catches for 480 yds, 19 touchdowns,
Vernon Morency: 140 carries, 700 yds rushing, 15 catches for 150 yds 5 touchdowns

Reggie Bush: 320 carries, 1475 yds rushing, 60 catches for 590 yds, 15 touchdowns

Mario Williams: 4 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery, 30 tackles, 13 tackles for a loss.
Texans defense as a team ranks 12th best in the league for sacks.
Texans defense as a team ranks 14th best in the league against the run.
Texans defense as a team ranks 19st best in the league against the pass.

Texans record 8-8
Saints record 4-12

How will the media react if this happens?
Would Lundy or Bush be the OROY?
Would people still question the Texans passing on Bush for Mario?

LBC_Justin
09-05-2006, 06:46 PM
thanks for merging this onto page 8 of a dead thread.

Glad I wasted 15 minutes of my life posting that topic.

I hate to say it but the micro-managing of the moderators on this board is going to eventually drive me away. I love the Texans fans on this forums, some of the most respectful in the NFL. I have tried my best to be a positive contributor on these forums and don't have any personal grudge against any of you.

I know people are not going to like me for saying this but.....the moderation on this site at times is horrible. I don't mean you guys are mean or rude or anything like that, but the way you guys do certain parts of your job isn't very effective. I am sure some moderators are better than others.

You guys do a good job of crowd control and keeping profanity and rude people in check (much better than the name calling on the jags forums). The primary problem I have is the way you guys use the "merge" feature. (This certainly was NOT the first time it has bothered me and this isn't the first time I have posted about it.) Often merging topics that have substance into topics that are FULL of junk. This makes me not want to read some very insiteful posts because I don't want to wade through garbage. It is much easier to look through a few extra topics than it is to search through huge threads, and follow several topics within the same thread. The worst part of it is how inconsistantly it is done.

I have been on here for 2 years, and I am getting to the point that I can't handle the inconsistency.

PM me if you want to discuss this further.

SheTexan
09-05-2006, 07:09 PM
Folks--let's try to get our own coach's name correct. It is Kubiak. The only reason I mention this is I have seen it too much lately to be a typo. It looks bad if we don't get his name right, just like:

It is Y'ALL not YA'LL

One reason I don't post much on this board anymore is because of post like this. I just don't care to critique every word I write before I post it. I am long past caring whether my grammar is correct or my spelling is perfect. This use to be a GREAT opinion board, a place where fans could just blast away on their keyboard without having to worry about some English major, lawyer, or journalist blasting them for spelling something wrong or putting a comma in the wrong place.

I have to worry about that stuff at work. If I wrote a blog, or did this for a living, I would bother to use spell check more often. SOOOOOO, I will just frequent other MBs where I don't have to worry about the moderator's getting testy if I screw up. It's NO fun having to worry about being perfect all the time!!!! JMO!!

infantrycak
09-05-2006, 07:32 PM
One reason I don't post much on this board anymore is because of post like this. I just don't care to critique every word I write before I post it. I am long past caring whether my grammar is correct or my spelling is perfect. This use to be a GREAT opinion board, a place where fans could just blast away on their keyboard without having to worry about some English major, lawyer, or journalist blasting them for spelling something wrong or putting a comma in the wrong place.

I have to worry about that stuff at work. If I wrote a blog, or did this for a living, I would bother to use spell check more often. SOOOOOO, I will just frequent other MBs where I don't have to worry about the moderator's getting testy if I screw up. It's NO fun having to worry about being perfect all the time!!!! JMO!!

Nice job of digging up an old post to take a jab. Oh the days of yore when the discussion was soooo much better and you only had to wade thru 10 pages of personal attacks to get to the football knowledge--to each his own.
Just my opinion, but it looks pretty darn silly when fans can't spell the name of their coach and their most characterisitc colloquialism--pardon me for offending you with a public service announcement--and FYI, y'all being misspelled has been a pet peeve of mine long before the Texans' MB existed.

LBC_Justin
09-05-2006, 07:46 PM
thanks for the PMs.

I feel a little better now.

Ye Olde Pro
09-05-2006, 09:25 PM
Sorry, after reading all that, i forgot what I was going to say!:tease:

thunderkyss
09-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Texans record 8-8
Saints record 4-12

How will the media react if this happens?
Would Lundy or Bush be the OROY?
Would people still question the Texans passing on Bush for Mario?

they'll say that we'd have gone 10-6 had we drafted Reggie, and would've been favorites to win the Superbowl.

No matter how you look at it, we can't win.

RiotCommander
09-05-2006, 10:27 PM
they'll say that we'd have gone 10-6 had we drafted Reggie, and would've been favorites to win the Superbowl.

I have to agree with this. The media is never wrong, getting them to eat crow is not usually possible. Reggie will have to be a bust in a big way for us to get respect for what we do rather then what we should have done.

The Pencil Neck
09-06-2006, 12:55 AM

I don't care if we can't win as long as we win... uh... waittasecond... that didn't come out right...

run-david-run
09-06-2006, 01:05 AM
All we can hope for is some wins...and that Mario swallows Reggie when we play them next year....

BigDTexansFan
09-06-2006, 09:49 AM
All we can hope for is some wins...and that Mario swallows Reggie when we play them next year....

IF Reggie is even playing next year, figure he will go out injured in 2006, trying to show how much tougher he is than a 300 lb defensive monster.

Reggie Bush:yawn: :yawn:

Flashes of greatness, surrounded by mediocrity:crutch: