PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: recap of game

Wolf
08-13-2006, 01:43 AM
HOUSTON (AP) -- If the Houston Texans hope to justify spending their No. 1 pick on Mario Williams, he'll have to contribute more than he did Saturday night.

Williams assisted on one tackle in a quarter of play in Houston's 24-14 preseason win over the Kansas City Chiefs. Shuffled all around the defensive line, Williams looked tentative at times and was stood up on a couple of plays.

"I kind of got too excited and that made me get a little tired," Williams said. "But I was not nervous at all."

He finally registered his first stat late in the first, when he joined second-round pick DeMeco Ryans to stop Larry Johnson for a 3-yard gain.

In his 11 plays, Williams mostly lined up against Chiefs left tackle Kyle Turley, who was playing in first game since 2003 because of back problems. Turley was thrust into the starting lineup when 11-time Pro Bowler Willie Roaf unexpectedly retired the night before training camp.

"I have a lot to learn," Williams said. "I was moving up and down the ball. I'm used to just coming off the edge and it's a lot different here."

While Williams' debut was forgettable, another Houston rookie -- sixth-round draft pick Wali Lundy -- had a head-turning first outing.

With Domanick Davis out recovering from a lingering knee injury, the Texans started 10-year veteran Antowain Smith. Smith was ineffective early and the Texans turned to Lundy, who ran for 25 yards on his first carry and waltzed into the end zone untouched for Houston's first touchdown on a 3-yard run three plays later.

He finished with nine carries for 59 yards and had one reception for 9 yards for a performance coach Gary Kubiak said he was impressed with.

The former Virginia standout also returned one kickoff for 30 yards and a punt for 12 yards.

"I'm just happy I'm getting an opportunity to play in the NFL," Lundy said. "Anything I can do to help this team ... that's what I'm going to do."

Though it was a preseason game, Houston has to be happy with its first look at the team that was revamped after last season's 2-14 finish. The Texans had 325 yards of offense while holding the Chiefs to 172.

"I like how hard we played," Kubiak said. "I thought we were still pretty sloppy at times."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=260812034

Vinny
08-13-2006, 01:45 AM
He looked really bad when ESPN isolated him in their highlight package vs Turley. He looked like a rookie and I'm going to have to watch him closely when I re-look at the game. There will be better days...I hope.

Wolf
08-13-2006, 01:47 AM
I am going rewatch the game and try to take notice of what is happening.

Wolf
08-13-2006, 01:48 AM
He looked really bad when ESPN isolated him in their highlight package vs Turley. He looked like a rookie and I'm going to have to watch him closely when I re-look at the game. There will be better days...I hope.

jon ruynan 3 weeks to prepare

BigDTexansFan
08-13-2006, 01:50 AM
gee I saw same thing but was written by an AP Writer named Kristie Reiken, guess maybe she works for ESPN or would they borrow (not steal nor plagarize) this so they don't have to work as hard:ok:

DocBar
08-13-2006, 01:51 AM
um... He IS a rookie and this IS his 1st preseason game. Did we expect him to break all the records tonight?? Cut the guy some slack. Bush didn't break Smith's record, did he? NOPE...Just checked. He had a little beter night than Lundy. Damn the bad luck.

HJam72
08-13-2006, 03:09 AM
We got our Reggie Bush in the late rounds. :)

tulexan
08-13-2006, 03:31 AM
um... He IS a rookie and this IS his 1st preseason game. Did we expect him to break all the records tonight?? Cut the guy some slack. Bush didn't break Smith's record, did he? NOPE...Just checked. He had a little beter night than Lundy. Damn the bad luck.

Except Lundy got in the end zone

phan1
08-13-2006, 03:32 AM
Dude, I thought this ESPN bashing of Mario was just some conspiracy theory, but now it's getting pretty ridiculous. In the ESPN cover article, he is immediately compared first and foremost to other busted draft picks that were lineman. Now, our headline in a win against KC is "Top Pick Williams Not Super in Texans win". Come the F on!!! I don't understand what these guys problems are! Are they just F'n bitter or something? I am getting really PO'd here! ESPN is crap.

jerek
08-13-2006, 03:34 AM
Dude, I thought this ESPN bashing of Mario was just some conspiracy theory, but now it's getting pretty ridiculous. In the ESPN cover article, he is immediately compared first and foremost to other busted draft picks that were lineman. Now, our headline in a win against KC is "Top Pick Williams Not Super in Texans win". Come the F on!!! I don't understand what these guys problems are! Are they just F'n bitter or something? I am getting really PO'd here! ESPN is crap.

They are bitter because virtually all of their analysts were trumpeting Bush as the surest thing since sliced bread, the one can't-miss-won't-miss draft pick for the ages, and we made them all look dumb for daring to pass on him. So yes, they will spout "I told you so" each and every chance they get.

Corrosion
08-13-2006, 06:44 AM
We got our Reggie Bush in the late rounds. :)

Except Lundy got in the end zone

And he didnt cost $54 Million :cool:

infantrycak
08-13-2006, 09:07 AM
Shawne Merriman--1 tackle--what a loser and draft bust. It was 11 friggin plays--what was he supposed to do, get 12 sacks?

Johnny Utah
08-13-2006, 09:12 AM
ESPN wants Mario to be a bust because it makes for a good national story.

They wanted Yao Ming to be a bust also and you could tell because during his first few games they always showed his bad plays. Same thing wil happen with Mario until he proves everyone wrong. Hopefully, he can make Michael Irving kiss the rear of a donkey.

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
08-13-2006, 09:15 AM
Two Words or four letters and one word:
ESPN SUCKS

Malloy
08-13-2006, 10:23 AM
What we saw last night was a mix of rookie jitters, a pre-season game and the fact that all of our plays in the pre-season will most likely be pure vanilla. I expect to see some crazy blitzes going off once we start the regular season, and in those I see Williams playing a big role.

Runner
08-13-2006, 10:45 AM
um... He IS a rookie and this IS his 1st preseason game. Did we expect him to break all the records tonight?? Cut the guy some slack.

This happens every year. During the draft and camps most people focus on the positives of our new players. NFL games and competition however have a tendancy to bring out the negatives. I'm all for giving our rookies time to grow

I'll stand by my prediction that Mario will threaten for the Pro Bowl in his third year, although he'll get progressively better in his first two.

I was happy with Ryans, Spencer, and Lundy. They seem to be ahead of the curve right now; we'll see in the next few games. Winston isn't there yet, but I think it is too much to ask that all of our rookies be at the far end of the curve already. I was at the game and I haven't watched my recording yet; I didn't really notice Daniels for some reason.

Of course, it is just one pre-season game...

aj.
08-13-2006, 10:46 AM
gee I saw same thing but was written by an AP Writer named Kristie Reiken, guess maybe she works for ESPN or would they borrow (not steal nor plagarize) this so they don't have to work as hard:ok:

Kristie is the local AP writer covering the Texans. She's no stranger around Texans camp. She's been on the sideline at OTAs, minicamps, and training camp. She is conspicuous in that she is usually one of the few female media types out there.

From what I've read, her articles are usually built around the quote sheet and very general in nature - but this is one of the first times I've seen her take an 'angle' like in the opening paragraph. It's a way to get national attention and is probably true to a point -- but I'll withhold conclusions on Mario until I can re-watch this game and the next several instead of ebbing and flowing with the tide.

One very odd quote by Mario is the one about him getting "tired" from the all the excitement of running out of the tunnel during introductions. What the hell is that? Someone pack him a case of Monster for next game.

AP wire copy can be picked up and ran with by anyone. It's what's most likely to be used in out-of-town reports on the Texans.

diehard1192
08-13-2006, 10:52 AM
Guys, ESPN is just calling it like they see it. And it is the same way the rest of the country sees it:

HOW IN WORLD DO YOU TAKE MARIO WILLIAMS OVER REGGIE BUSH?

It's not going to stop, so get ready for a whole lot more of the same. Casserly did this to you, not ESPN. Be mad at him.

WildBlackBear32
08-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Guys, ESPN is just calling it like they see it. And it is the same way the rest of the country sees it:

It's not going to stop, so get ready for a whole lot more of the same. Casserly did this to you, not ESPN. Be mad at him.

You are clueless. Stop.

diehard1192
08-13-2006, 10:54 AM
You are clueless. Stop.

So it's ESPN's fault yall drafted Williams?

WildBlackBear32
08-13-2006, 10:56 AM

I said stop.

Runner
08-13-2006, 11:00 AM
One very odd quote by Mario is the one about him getting "tired" from the all the excitement of running out of the tunnel during introductions. What the hell is that? Someone pack him a case of Monster for next game.

Maybe he was jazzed on adrenaline too early and when it tapered off by game time he felt the effects. If so, that is somthing that will fix itself as he plays a couple more games.

CoachJim
08-13-2006, 11:01 AM

Is that you Bobo?

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
08-13-2006, 11:04 AM

Just to set you strait this was our Head Coaches Pick not Casterlys our coach saw a need and filled it with by most accounts was the best Def. player in the draft(high on most draft boards) We will take the back lash for sometime I agree but Mario will become a player for the Texans he like all rooks just needs time to get there. We will take it out on ESPN because they can not SHUT UP about bush or vince. ESPN give Houston sports TEAMS no love so none will be returned to them. I've said it before and will say it again ESPN SUCKS and will only report what thay fill will create contrvercy(MS??) for ratings.

Coach C.
08-13-2006, 11:06 AM

Hey Vin, when are we doing the watch and speak on it thing you were discussing a while back on the board. As I watched the game yesterday, noticing all the "talent" football brings out, I watched Mario look about as expected. He got penetration, and he got cut several times. This year I can see alot of linemen chopping that tree down to make sure he cant stand up a play. His best play for me was on a stretch run by LJ, may have been a toss, were he held the point of attack and strung the play out almsot to the sideline.

BTW, your boy Meco may challenge for Defensive Rookie of the Year this year. 100+ tackles looks to be in his future.

kingh99
08-13-2006, 11:11 AM
No way you get down on Williams until he's played a complete season or two. Come on. RB is immediate impact and a quite simple position to learn. Williams has a lot more to learn. Granted I watched the first play and he was stood up and pushed sideways for a about 10 yards. Welcome to the League rookie. He showed great athleticism keeping his balance and closing on the QB on a third qtr play. He's an end. We can blame the prior regime for saddling us with so many draft dogs that Mario's moving to tackle on 3rd down packages. IMHO he should stay on the end the entire time. He needs to learn one position for crying out loud. Fricking TJ and these other guys need to hold down tackle.

Texanfan4ever
08-13-2006, 11:23 AM
It's nobody's fault, we did it on purpose with a plan that is already working. If you are that happy about Reggie, then go to your Saints board and ya'll celebrate there, instead of whining over here. You are obviously bothered, disturbed and jealous by the performance our WHOLE team had last night, and we understand how you could feel that way. We have a great team in the making. You have shown your weakness, now go away!:shoot:

DominickDavisFan76
08-13-2006, 11:36 AM
All I care is that we got the W...

Mario had an poor game...ehhh...its ok
Wali Lundy did amazing..great
Kevin Curtis got an Interception..(i told u guys he was good)..against a 2nd string QB...

but what I liked most about this game was....

WE NEVER GOT SACKED!!!! :redtowel:

Texanfan4ever
08-13-2006, 11:38 AM
WE NEVER GOT SACKED!!!!

No kidding. Isn't that a franchise record?

Runner
08-13-2006, 11:41 AM
WE NEVER GOT SACKED!!!!

No kidding. Isn't that a franchise record?

I know we at least had zero sack regular season games in 2004. Carr took the o-line out for dinner one night the following week when that happened. One time he took them to Fogo de Chao. I bet they did some damage there.

Texanfan4ever
08-13-2006, 12:58 PM
I guess last year was so horrendous, it seems like Carr was always on the ground. I just couldn't remember when he wasn't.

Go Carr! Fogo de Chao! Hey I think he should take all of us Carr homers out at the end of the year when the Texans are CHAMPIONS!!!!

Wolf
08-13-2006, 01:04 PM

why am I worried about Reggie Bush, I mean heck we don't have Clinton Portis or Alexander either..

Bush wasn't going to help us beat the Colts. Defense does that.. time will tell if Mario develops into the next Mario Williams( I am hoping he becomes not the next peppers but better) and dominates.. We had to have defense.

I guess Espn is mad because instead of having the Houston TV market focused on Bush, they had to settle for N.O. (not bashing the cities, just Houston is a bigger TV market)

Texas
08-13-2006, 01:07 PM
Are smartest move was drafting Williams. Wait until he plays a full game. Do you see Julius Peppers being a standout EVERY PLAY of EVERY Quarter of EVERY game? Didnt think so. DE's dont attract as many stats. Bush will fallout by mid season while mario will be getting better and better. ESPN can say what they want. We still have a better team then New Orleans.

GP
08-13-2006, 01:47 PM
Everybody loves the show ponies.

How many kids line up to see the ox pull a cart? None.

Everybody likes the guy who scores TDs.

That's all this is.

Mario doesn't produce 3 sacks, a forced fumble, and an interception on 11 plays and the media compare it to Reggie Bush doing his bloop around the corner. That little bloop will work only so long in the NFL as they will put people "at home" and wait for him to do it....then what trick will he pull out of his jersey?

We got a guy who put up similar production as Reggie in the first game, and our guy scored a TD. Oh, and we got him in the 6th round. To top it off, we got a monster defensive end who is going to do pretty good in this league when he gets used to playing everybody else's position for them.

Put Wong with Demeco into the LB crew we have, and we got a fairly good defensive front if you ask me. Can't wait for Wong to get back. I was down on him, but after seeing our guys go last night...I think he will add extra oomph in a hurry.

Remember: Everybody likes to watch the show ponies, but nobody lines up to watch the ox pull the cart.

utahmark
08-13-2006, 02:06 PM
two things.

first nfl lineman usually take one or two years to make an impression. although my guess is mario will probaly start to show some positive signs sooner than that.

and second what do you guys want them to say about mario. it was a forgetable performance. hes the number one pick so any talk about the game has to involve him. and he didnt do much.

LORK 88
08-13-2006, 02:57 PM
Two Words or four letters and one word:
ESPN SUCKS
Preach it!! Hell, the announcers made up a new word to go along with Reggie Bush: "Fabulousness"

TheRealJoker
08-13-2006, 03:12 PM
I am officially convinced ESPN is the sports version of Fox News

"Fair and balanced"...

PS: The reason we are receiving an influx of Saints trolls is because they're mad we snatched Mario in front of them :mario:

football freak
08-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Kubiak has a knack for making great running backs out of average players. I don't think we needed to take Bush with Kubiak's track record. Williams WAS the better choice, doesn't ESPN realize all of this?

Hulk75
08-13-2006, 03:16 PM
He will be fine, he did better then some think.

football freak
08-13-2006, 03:27 PM
did ESPN forget to highlight all the Drama New Orleans had signing Bush who was saying how he told his agents to just get him in camp and then was almost a holdout. Let him have my job a week at my pay.

PapaL
08-13-2006, 03:53 PM
Its also funny that the "news people" fail to mention how often Mario was double teamed on those 11 or so plays he was on the field.

veazeyt
08-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Its about the bigger picture. Its really easy to criticize anything or anyone in life. The bigger picture for ESPN is to over play the drama, it sells better than supporting Super Mario.

The bigger picture for us is how did the team do? After yesterdays performance, I am pretty confident that the Texans are more poised to make a bigger splash than the New Orleans Saints. Will The Saints be playoff bound a couple of years? Probably not, their team history unfortunately speaks for itself.

So at best, Reggie will have a career like Barry Sanders in stats. But in professionalism? Hah! If we want to go off of early assumptions, then I am pretty sure that the honey moon with The Saints will last as long as the contract is. He will shop for the bigger fish in the future. Barry was a professional and a rare breed, he stuck it out with the Lions even if they were not poised to do great things.

There are way to many positive that spun out of yesterdays performance. And only Texan fans are going to notice them, unless Reggie Bush is on the team.

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
08-13-2006, 06:28 PM
Until Reggie Bush, turns into a flop like Ricky Williams ESPN is going to pick us apart here in Houston, I have finally gotten over that, and if and when Reggie is a complete failure in the NFL ESPN will turn the cards and say what a great pick Mario was all along, typical media garbage......It does not matter, us HOUSTON TEXANS fans love our players, and it does not matter what ESPN thinks or anyone else......true or not.......please let me know if I stand Correct Texans Fans......From they way it sounded last night when we introuduced Mario to Houston we took him in arms wide open, I am truely glad to say he is here, the draft is over so let's move on already........

DocBar
08-15-2006, 03:34 PM

I guess I'll have to give kudos to CC for that AND, according to GK, Daniels.
I would've picked differently in the 4th, but Daniels looks like a gamer. Runner, how did you not notice Daniels? I wasn't paying particular attention to Daniels and noticed him often. I also LOVED Spencer puttin the slobberknocker on a poor LB down by the goal line. He got upfield nicely.

KKHouston
08-15-2006, 03:48 PM
Kristie is the local AP writer covering the Texans. She's no stranger around Texans camp. She's been on the sideline at OTAs, minicamps, and training camp. She is conspicuous in that she is usually one of the few female media types out there.

Is she cute?

smsummers
08-15-2006, 05:17 PM
hope so

Runner
08-15-2006, 05:19 PM
I guess I'll have to give kudos to CC for that AND, according to GK, Daniels.
I would've picked differently in the 4th, but Daniels looks like a gamer. Runner, how did you not notice Daniels? I wasn't paying particular attention to Daniels and noticed him often.

I was watching the lines. I sat down last night and watched my recording. Consider Daniels noticed.

I considered parroting what I'd heard from others about Daniels in my original post so I could "see all, know all", but honesty overcame self gratification. :)

Malloy
08-15-2006, 05:51 PM
I considered parroting what I'd heard from others about Daniels in my original post so I could "see all, know all", but honesty overcame self gratification. :)

Now you're just suckering yourself ;)

jdog
08-15-2006, 07:45 PM

Later in the year the big story will be what a mistake it was to take Bush in New Orleans when they already had Deuce. The great Deuce/Reggie drama in the Big Easy. Just wait...not long after Mario shuts them up...they will spin this whole first pick in the draft drama around.

BigBull17
08-15-2006, 07:56 PM
What we saw last night was a mix of rookie jitters, a pre-season game and the fact that all of our plays in the pre-season will most likely be pure vanilla. I expect to see some crazy blitzes going off once we start the regular season, and in those I see Williams playing a big role.

And dont overlook the fact that KC has a very good oline. And Turley isnt some chump, he is a good tackle who got black balled for speaking out for guaranteed money in the NFL. Its only the begining, so give him atleast a year befor you say bust.

MojoMan
08-15-2006, 08:05 PM
A lot of people have put themselves on the line with their pro-bush, anti-mario positions. Anyone who would suggest that Mario's performance last Saturday, which included a total of 11 plays in his true NFL debut, was evidence that he should not have been the number one pick is probably one of these people.

DocBar
08-15-2006, 08:06 PM
I was watching the lines. I sat down last night and watched my recording. Consider Daniels noticed.

HAHA!! That was funny. I think the kid's gonna be alright.

disaacks3
08-15-2006, 08:24 PM
I know we at least had zero sack regular season games in 2004. Carr took the o-line out for dinner one night the following week when that happened. One time he took them to Fogo de Chao. I bet they did some damage there. Jags game....Texans won 20-6 and Carr went 26/34 276 w/ 1TD & no picks... It's simply amazing how much better any QB performs when he can spend that time UPRIGHT!