PDA

View Full Version : Texans vs Chiefs: First Impressions

Hervoyel
08-12-2006, 10:18 PM
Ok here's what I think right now without pausing to consider any of it. Anyone else got any "off the top of your head" thoughts on this game and what you saw?

Sage Rosenfels looks like a better QB than David Carr based on this one evening in August. So did Porter IMO. Hopefully that's just David trying too hard.

Antowain Smith probably doesn't make it to opening day. Davis, Morency, Lundy, and Taylor can get this job done without him.

Wali Lundy looks like he understands the concept.

Chris Taylor is not a beast... but he doesn't suck either. He's better than Antowain Smith and Jonathan Wells for what that's worth.

Our first string defense did not impress me. Mario did not impress me.

DeMeco got my attention though. Cochran did too.

Seth Payne looks like he's not going to lose his roster spot without a fight. Nice to see Seth getting it done again.

Seth Wand will start the season at LT and he should. Spencer did not seem to me to be all that much of a threat at this time. By mid-season that will probably change though if Wand doesn't continue to improve at the same rate Spencer does.

325 yards of net offense is a good thing to see. 21 first downs looks nice too. We had 173 yards rushing tonight.

Brandon420tx
08-12-2006, 10:29 PM
I agree on that our Defense didn't look great, but with a good 1st string O-line in KC and serious need of help in our LB's. I can understand why, I was dissappointed with how much our line was driven back on the running plays *Mostly our DTs*

I have to disagree with you on Carr. He was going up against the 1st string D that had Tye Law and Surtain (Sp?) there was a major drop-off for KC when the second string came out.The 2 plays he's receiving the most flack for, one would have been a touchdown if it had not been a spectacular effort by that defensive player who deflected the ball, and the other everyone says was a bad decision, but AJ was a whole step in front of Surtain, and the 2 KC players were playing top *But I think Johnson was on a cross under route* Carr threw it to AJ's back shoulder and Johnson had to step up and play defense. Now, Carr still deserves criticism on that play, I believe another reciever was open, but it would have been 8+ yards completion had Carr thrown it in front of AJ instead of at the shoulder. Sage looked great in the second quarter, but looked to make a few bad throws in the third, I noticed he was bailed out by Schifino (Sp?) when he threw a particulary low ball. All in all, I'm very confident in our QBs. We could lose one (or 2 for that matter) to injury and not have a major drop-off in production (Poor KC). Porter looked good... really good, but it was 3rd string... but he looked good.

Texans Horror
08-12-2006, 10:29 PM
I was expecting more from the defense, which is stupid. They are much younger than the offense, which has for the most part, been playing together for awhile now. It will take the D longer to click. On the other hand, all the worries from OTAs and camp about the D running over the O looks to have not been as tell-tale as originally thought. The offense held their own.

The cut blocks looked pretty good. I was wondering how that would come together. I suspect the Texans offensive linemen didn't do too many, if any, of those cut blocks as aggressively as they did today.

First impression was pretty good.

Texans Horror
08-12-2006, 10:30 PM
I agree on that our Defense didn't look great, but with a good 1st string O-line in KC and serious need of help in our LB's. I can understand why, I was dissappointed with how much our line was driven back on the running plays *Mostly our DTs*

I have to disagree with you on Carr. He was going up against the 1st string D that had Tye Law and Surtain (Sp?) there was a major drop-off for KC when the second string came out.The 2 plays he's receiving the most flack for, one would have been a touchdown if it had not been a spectacular effort by that defensive player who deflected the ball, and the other everyone says was a bad decision, but AJ was a whole step in front of Surtain, and the 2 KC players were playing top but Johnson *But I think Johnson was on a cross under route* Carr threw it to AJ's back shoulder and Johnson had to step up and play defense. Now, Carr still deserves criticism on that play, I believe another reciever was open, but it would have been 8+ yards completion had Carr thrown it in front of AJ instead of at the shoulder. Sage looked great in the second quarter, but looked to make a few bad throws in the third, I noticed he was bailed out by Schifino (Sp?) when he threw a particulary low ball. All in all, I'm very confident in our QBs. We could lose one (or 2 for that matter) to injury and not have a major drop-off in production (Poor KC). Porter looked good... really good, but it was 3rd string... but he looked good.

As I watched the second string play, I kept trying to remind myself that they were playing second stringers. The competition is not as stiff...

Wolf
08-12-2006, 10:34 PM
nfl network is replaying at 10CST according to their website

DefLord
08-12-2006, 10:34 PM
Ok here's what I think right now without pausing to consider any of it. Anyone else got any "off the top of your head" thoughts on this game and what you saw?

Sage Rosenfels looks like a better QB than David Carr based on this one evening in August. So did Porter IMO. Hopefully that's just David trying too hard.

Antowain Smith probably doesn't make it to opening day. Davis, Morency, Lundy, and Taylor can get this job done without him.

Chris Taylor is not a beast... but he doesn't suck either. He's better than Antowain Smith and Jonathan Wells for what that's worth.

Seth Payne looks like he's not going to lose his roster spot without a fight. Nice to see Seth getting it done again.

Seth Wand will start the season at LT and he should. Spencer did not seem to me to be all that much of a threat at this time. By mid-season that will probably change though if Wand doesn't continue to improve at the same rate Spencer does.

325 yards of net offense is a good thing to see. 21 first downs looks nice too. We had 173 yards rushing tonight.

Agreed I dont see Smith making the final roster if Lundy, Taylor can get it done.. And I am going to wonder if Rhodes can beat our Morency.. The longer Morency stays hurt this would give Rhodes a chance..

So I also agree Carr was up against a stronger defense than Rosenfels was. But it is nice to see that we have a nice stable quarterback behind Carr.. *At least he isnt an aging quarterback to the end of his prime*.

I loved the balance we had tonight with rushing and passing.. I think eventually we will get stronger as the players start picking up Kubiaks game. This is their first ever game under Kubiak's system. And once they get the hang of it - they will only get better.

Brandon420tx
08-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Overall impression

Offense:redtowel:

Defense needs some more time, but acceptable (that 3 and out at the beginning was nice)

big homey
08-12-2006, 10:37 PM
The offense (particularly the QB's) seemed to have grasped the new system like they've been in it for years.

For someone so excited to be playing in a 4-3, Travis Johnson looks like he's still in a two-gap system, and even appears to take plays off. If he approached every snap like his almost-sack, he would be starting.

Speaking of someone who should be starting, Seth Payne is really showing his stuff.

Quinton Porter is unusually accurate for a 3rd-stringer...

Antowain Smith probably won't make the final roster, especially if DD heals up.

Trapped
08-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Chiefs oline without willie roaf still looks good. Either that, or our Dline wasn't as dominating as what people are saying in TC.

Antowain Smith looked like Jonathan Wells. Good thing we went on that 4th down or we would of had a sour taste to this victory.

Basically Carr didn't impress. M. Williams didn't impress. Those are the two guys everyone has there eye on.

bayoudreamn
08-12-2006, 10:40 PM

Carr looked nervous and made some poor plays, he also made some good plays. Rosenfels was hot off the bench but not so hot in the 3rd. They both scored 7 pts. in one quarter so that was even. Porter looked great....against the practice team. I mostly agree with everything else you said but I don't feel like anyone was necessarily bad. It was one game and it was so much better than anything last year that I'm just stoked with the whole affair.

TK_Gamer
08-12-2006, 10:41 PM
I dont know what formation they were running, it looked like a cover 2 man, but we left the middle low wide open and gave up 2 good runs a pass across and a qb scramble. we use that defense alot this year and teams will rack up some bad yards on us, anyone else notice that?

Porky
08-12-2006, 10:42 PM
I was thrilled myself. This is the best preseason game they have ever played, and they had played 16 of them coming in. While they didn't play a perfect game, I don't understand how anyone could have anything negative to say unless you just like to nitpick.

Carr looked okay to me, not great. The next two were excellent. Clearly, I underestimated Rosenfels. He is hands down better than Banks. Porter suprised the hell out of me. He looked great for a first time out. Having said that, you have to remember Carr was in against their #1's, and the other guys were in vs. the 2nd and 3rd teams.

Couple of quick things that stick out. The offense showed more imagination in this preseason game, than any regular season game in 4 years. Rollouts, mis-direction, reverses, slants, ins, posts, WOW. If you noticed, the receivers were generally on the move much more often than under Capers regime.

Second thing - Pass protection was superb! Best in the 4 yrs I have been watching imho. Not sure what herv was watching, as I thought Spencer was outstanding. I remember one play where he literally buried his man into the ground and sat on him. Wand did well, Spencer did better imho (again we have to factor 2nd team D)

Mario - Nothing special. Hopefully, he will get better. He has to be more of a factor than he was tonight.

The 2nd and 3rd team D was more impressive than the 1st....but Printers was pretty bad, and LJ has left the game, so let's take that with a grain of salt.

All in all, I am pumped! Houston, we have a REAL NFL team! :francis:

bayoudreamn
08-12-2006, 10:43 PM

I have to disagree with you on Carr. He was going up against the 1st string D that had Tye Law and Surtain (Sp?) there was a major drop-off for KC when the second string came out.The 2 plays he's receiving the most flack for, one would have been a touchdown if it had not been a spectacular effort by that defensive player who deflected the ball, and the other everyone says was a bad decision, but AJ was a whole step in front of Surtain, and the 2 KC players were playing top *But I think Johnson was on a cross under route* Carr threw it to AJ's back shoulder and Johnson had to step up and play defense. Now, Carr still deserves criticism on that play, I believe another reciever was open, but it would have been 8+ yards completion had Carr thrown it in front of AJ instead of at the shoulder. Sage looked great in the second quarter, but looked to make a few bad throws in the third, I noticed he was bailed out by Schifino (Sp?) when he threw a particulary low ball. All in all, I'm very confident in our QBs. We could lose one (or 2 for that matter) to injury and not have a major drop-off in production (Poor KC). Porter looked good... really good, but it was 3rd string... but he looked good.

I wasn't impressed with the run defense, either. I'm kinda glad it was like that, though...because I wanta see how Kubes and company respond.

TexanSam
08-12-2006, 10:43 PM

He did look better, but he played against the Chiefs 2nd and 3rd string defense. I think if Carr had played in Rosenfels place, he would have looked impressive.

I think there's a chance he may get cut, but I think he'll make the team. I don't think Morency will make it but that's just a gut feeling. Morency better get healed and he better not dance around in the backfield if he wants to stay a Texan though.

Agreed. Very impressive, especially when he was going against the Chiefs first team defense. Looks like a capable starter if DD can't play.

TexanFan881
08-12-2006, 10:45 PM

Looks like I'll have to change my avatar lol :hides:

bayoudreamn
08-12-2006, 10:46 PM
Agreed I dont see Smith making the final roster if Lundy, Taylor can get it done.. And I am going to wonder if Rhodes can beat our Morency.. The longer Morency stays hurt this would give Rhodes a chance..

So I also agree Carr was up against a stronger defense than Rosenfels was. But it is nice to see that we have a nice stable quarterback behind Carr.. *At least he isnt an aging quarterback to the end of his prime*.

I loved the balance we had tonight with rushing and passing.. I think eventually we will get stronger as the players start picking up Kubiaks game. This is their first ever game under Kubiak's system. And once they get the hang of it - they will only get better.

speaking of Smith, it's possible Kubes put him in first tonight because he wanted to look at him in a game to compare it to what he's seen in practice. He might not be Kubes 1st choice of backs. Lundy was much better tonight!

bayoudreamn
08-12-2006, 10:49 PM
I dont know what formation they were running, it looked like a cover 2 man, but we left the middle low wide open and gave up 2 good runs a pass across and a qb scramble. we use that defense alot this year and teams will rack up some bad yards on us, anyone else notice that?

yea...lots of holes in the D tonight. Good time to see Kubes after the game response in next practice. No worries.

Wolf
08-12-2006, 10:49 PM
how did babin look? IMO he is a key to help develop Williams..if an OL has to take account Babin's position, and that should help with doubleteams being taken off of williams

HomeBred_Texan
08-12-2006, 10:50 PM
I must admit, this was the first Texans game where I didn't want to go smoke or go to the restroom when the opposing team had the ball. My eyes were glued on Mario as were many I am sure. I wish I would have taken them off to see some others, like D Ryans. I never saw him once during the whole game. The O-Line looked pretty dang good in pass protection, but need to work on run blocking now, especially in short yardage situations...

DefLord
08-12-2006, 10:51 PM
how did babin look? IMO he is a key to help develop Williams..if an OL has to take account Babin's position, and that should help with doubleteams being taken off of williams

If I recall correctly Peeks played opposite of Williams.. Babin ran with the 2nd team - TJ and crew..

bayoudreamn
I was thrilled myself. This is the best preseason game they have ever played, and they had played 16 of them coming in. While they didn't play a perfect game, I don't understand how anyone could have anything negative to say unless you just like to nitpick.

Carr looked okay to me, not great. The next two were excellent. Clearly, I underestimated Rosenfels. He is hands down better than Banks. Porter suprised the hell out of me. He looked great for a first time out. Having said that, you have to remember Carr was in against their #1's, and the other guys were in vs. the 2nd and 3rd teams.

Couple of quick things that stick out. The offense showed more imagination in this preseason game, than any regular season game in 4 years. Rollouts, mis-direction, reverses, slants, ins, posts, WOW. If you noticed, the receivers were generally on the move much more often than under Capers regime.

Second thing - Pass protection was superb! Best in the 4 yrs I have been watching imho. Not sure what herv was watching, as I thought Spencer was outstanding. I remember one play where he literally buried his man into the ground and sat on him. Wand did well, Spencer did better imho (again we have to factor 2nd team D)

Mario - Nothing special. Hopefully, he will get better. He has to be more of a factor than he was tonight.

The 2nd and 3rd team D was more impressive than the 1st....but Printers was pretty bad, and LJ has left the game, so let's take that with a grain of salt.

Agreed. One good thing about the "more open" gameplan is that alot of stuff happened tonight that can be pounded into little minds in the classroom on Monday.

TK_Gamer
yeah Smith starting seemed wierd to me, I thought they would use him as a 3rd down or short yardage back since we signed him. I love the zone blocking, we actually lasted a whole game without giving up a sack, thats gotta be a record...

thunderkyss
08-12-2006, 10:54 PM
First I'll admit that I didn't watch the whole game...... only highlights..... I'll try to catch it tomorrow on the NFL network.... hopefully, they'll continue to do this during the regular season.

But Carr............

I didn't see the nervousness being reported here..... I wasn't impressed, but definitely not disappointed.

Mario.......

he kept getting held up on his blocks. He couldn't get away, till the play was over, and the play(run plays as well) was behind him.

TJ........
I saw he was double teamed when Kalu got his sack, then he picked up half a sack, and he was doing a pretty good job getting up field.....

Seth Wand........
he's the right guy to be starting at LT. I think he moves very well, for a guy his size...... I think he'll do great.

Sage Rosenfells......
No doubt in my mind why Kubiak brought him in.

Overall, I'm happy with the win...... Like I said, I'll watch the whole game tomorrow, but so far, I can't see anything to make me think we won't go 13-3.

bayoudreamn
08-12-2006, 10:56 PM

I think his name got called a few times for a good play or two. I was ok with the dline except against the run. They've got to close those holes!!!

Vinny
08-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Good post Herv. Carr looks like a coach killer right now. To me he is the Antwaan Peek of the offense. He is great outside the pocket on a designed roll but he isn't that good in the pocket and struggles to throw in the middle of the field with confidence and consistency.

I thought Wand held his own and I thought Spencer played well too. I don't think its too far fetched to see some sort of a rotation this year with Spencer taking the job next season and staying there longer than Mo Townes ever thought about it.

Lundy is better than I figured and he has some slashing ability since he seems to have really quick feet and good balance. He presses the crease and can make a man squaring up on him hesitate...something Jon Wells could never do. I still think Morency is our most explosive back and will show out when he starts.

Earl Cochran was impressive, or the Chiefs were playing a chump...or a nice combination of the two. He has my eye.

Owen Daniels looked pretty good. I need to watch the tape and see if he did any blocking.

The line. Zero sacks...come on. Zero sacks, and check Lundy's totals. Nuff said.

I thought Weaver was manhandled way too much...but I have to watch it again and could be mistaken, but if we are giving first impressions...that's it. Its hard to make out the numbers sometime and guys go in and out.

I like the way Ryans runs to the ball. He comes in with some Dunta-like acceleration.

Rosenfels looks like a starting caliber NFL QB. It will be interesting to see how this pans out from here on out.

Good to see Benny catch a pass.

Reggie Bush sure looked good in a Saints uniform.

Gaffney for Moulds is a good thing

Lundy has excellent instincts in the kick return game and didn't look like a rookie out there with his decisiveness and first step quickness. I'm not worried if Mathis can't go now.

These are just first impressions...nobody crucify me for them...stone me perhaps...

HomeBred_Texan
08-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Let's not forget how many passes were thrown to the Tight Ends tonight...

I even saw someone named Bennie catch a pass... :hides:

aquafin
08-12-2006, 11:00 PM
Sage was pretty good. Most forget that he's still pretty young. He carried the clipboard in Miami for a couple of years...barely hanging on to his roster spot. But he kept working hard and moved up to #2...and even threatened to take Gus Frerotte's job last year. He just never stopped working hard...and he improved. Now he has some experience too...which is invaluable in this league. You guys are solid at QB.

I'm impressed with your team. I think we have you guys on our schedule during the season.

We are going to miss Sage in Miami. Good luck Texans!

With Saban and Kubiak, we are both in good hands. Seems like Harrington played pretty well tonight. I think our first team outplayed their first team. They burned our secondary a few times tonight. we need to get our first round pick Jason Allen in there. He held out and just got into camp. Culpepper only played one series. Ronnie Brown looked good at RB.

Amazing what good coaching will do.

Wolf
08-12-2006, 11:01 PM
If I recall correctly Peeks played opposite of Williams.. Babin ran with the 2nd team - TJ and crew..

thanks..i'll have to watch it tomorrow..NFL network was all over heckle and jeckle

http://www.toonopedia.com/hekljekl.jpg

bayoudreamn
08-12-2006, 11:01 PM
First I'll admit that I didn't watch the whole game...... only highlights..... I'll try to catch it tomorrow on the NFL network.... hopefully, they'll continue to do this during the regular season.

But Carr............

I didn't see the nervousness being reported here..... I wasn't impressed, but definitely not disappointed.

Mario.......

he kept getting held up on his blocks. He couldn't get away, till the play was over, and the play(run plays as well) was behind him.

TJ........
I saw he was double teamed when Kalu got his sack, then he picked up half a sack, and he was doing a pretty good job getting up field.....

Seth Wand........
he's the right guy to be starting at LT. I think he moves very well, for a guy his size...... I think he'll do great.

Sage Rosenfells......

Overall, I'm happy with the win...... Like I said, I'll watch the whole game tomorrow, but so far, I can't see anything to make me think we won't go 13-3.

I said he was nervous. My opinion was based on his first pass to Moulds which was high. Moulds stretched out to catch it which exposed him to a potential BIG hit. On other passes he had happy feet and didn't look comfortable. It was early and he settled down after the first drive. He looked good in the second drive and they scored.

Texas
08-12-2006, 11:02 PM
In the defense of mario did you notice he was double teamed a lot therefore leaving his side a threat to run on. Also remember DE's dont get 20 tackles a game with 5 sacks. He played 1 quarter. You cant always expect alot. Wait until he has a full game. Then if he doesnt come up with stats it may be a problem. As for Rosenfels and Porter looking better then Carr. Remember they faced 2nd and 3rd string d's. Rosenfels did look good however. Ryans impressed me and I liked the play calling. SO far I think were doing alright.

vtech9
08-12-2006, 11:06 PM
I was talking to my dad after the 1st quarter, and asked him what he thought of A. Smith. He said that he wasn't real impressed, and I told him that I thought the only way Smith would make the final roster is if Kubiak wants to keep him for a veteran presense. Honestly, I don't think we need him. He looked really SLOW, and seemed to not make the best decisions on where to cut.

Hervoyel
08-12-2006, 11:06 PM
These are just first impressions...nobody crucify me for them...stone me perhaps...

Exactly. I think we need a thread like this after every game. I don't care what you or anyone else thinks about my first impressions and I don't want to read a discussion of what we all think about what each of us wrote. I'd just like to go down a list of posts and just see what people thought off the top of their heads after watching the game and see what impressions they walked away with. In depth discussions are for another thread and to me usually aren't worth reading a lot of right after the game.

Everybody should be able to just say what they think without having to debate it or defend it.

A lot of mine are probably wrong or don't take into account something that I will catch when I watch the game again (or might not see at all because the camera didn't catch it) but they're just things that I took away from watching the team play.

Texan Asylum
08-12-2006, 11:11 PM
I was impressed with their maturity and composure. They seemed to be a more win savvy team...by attitude. Overall, I was very much satisfied with what I saw.

TexanExile
08-12-2006, 11:13 PM
I was satisfied with the QB play tonight, and pleasantly surprised by Porter given his limited time with the team. Word of warning: Sage has been the king of preseason in Miami for years now, and it never really translated into success (or movement up the depth chart) during the regular season. Loved what I saw from him tonight, though. I feel good about him being #2 instead of Banks.

Goes without saying that the 1st-team D got chewed up on the one scoring drive. But this was a serious defensive overhaul and it is way, way too early to start bagging on Mario Williams because he didn't have 10 sacks or something. Get serious.

To me, the most startling positive thing was NO SACKS on Texan QBs and no stupid false start flags followed by the usual "well, they're just learning the system" color commentary during the broadcast. The other top positives were Lundy's versatility and the fact that nobody else got hurt.

Liked what I saw from most of the WRs, and Cochran showed some great effort on D.

Kris Brown spooked me a bit.

The young RBs have a nice competition going, which is comforting, considering DD's early start to his annual injury season.

I feel better about our secondary situation now.

And good luck to KC in clearing that Printers jam. Yikes. Get that guy some toner or something.

Trapped
08-12-2006, 11:18 PM
kris brown will be our downfall. i can see it already. i can see us lose 2-3 games just because of critical missed fg's. It was fun watching him miss fg's last year as ppl were starting to think we lost on purpose. but this year, different story

I cany see myself yelling a kris brown on several occasions this year.

Wolf
08-12-2006, 11:29 PM
how was the team looking? as in confidence, chip on their shoulder?

tsip
08-12-2006, 11:34 PM
My favorite impression was the over all attitude of the team and how well prepared they were in such a short time. There was no doubt this was not Dom Caper's team! We gave up zero sacks, we got 5 sacks, and we had only a handful of penalties---all things in one game we've not seen in the previouis 4 seasons. Without a doubt, Kubiak will address the problem areas and continue to develope those things that worked. Lundy/Taylor/Rhodes/Rosenfels/ and Porter showed potential. I liked that one play on TV where they showed the 'blocking' progression of the line men moving down field to keep the lane open...think it was Flannagan that commented how much fun it was to get to the 'little guys' down the field. Overall, a solid start and a much better showing in pre-season than Caper's gave us in 4 years...

gwallaia
08-12-2006, 11:34 PM
David Anderson #14.

I was very impressed with him tonight. Good quickness and hustle. Reminds me of Tim Dwight.

CMoak1982
08-12-2006, 11:40 PM
I think everyone is nit picking right now, Mario is going to be fine, he made an impact by getting doubled every play, he'll be fine. The 1st team defense had one drive that they got run on, and really just the TD run that had a big hole, the rest was just missed tackles, all in all our d looked the best it ever has. Carr looked like he was trying to hard to make a play, but he wasn't disappointing, his goal is to lead us on scoring drives and he did. That was the absolute best I've ever seen the Texans play as a whole, granted it is only preseason so we shouldn't get to excited or to critical.

bayoudreamn
08-12-2006, 11:43 PM
how was the team looking? as in confidence, chip on their shoulder?

The played aggressive...looked like they belonged there. I saw some emotion by some players after good stops on defense. I didn't see any noticeable "chip on the shoulder" attitude....just alot of hustle.

Stampede
08-12-2006, 11:46 PM
Correct me if im wrong, but i think our offensive line went the whole game without a false start!...wow.

cuppacoffee
08-12-2006, 11:50 PM
yeah Smith starting seemed wierd to me, I thought they would use him as a 3rd down or short yardage back since we signed him. I love the zone blocking, we actually lasted a whole game without giving up a sack, thats gotta be a record...

I think Kubiak wanted to let the nerves cool down for his rookie running backs. First game, at home, fans all fired up. Let the rooks calm down and then put them in the game. JMO though.

I was suprised that Smith was so ineffective.

Ryan
08-13-2006, 12:02 AM

finally!!

jmerog
08-13-2006, 12:20 AM
i just got back from the game (i live in north conroe) and it was awsome.

I was happy to see Carr belly up to the bar and scramble for a few yards. I liked the play where he slid into and through 3 chiefs and knocked them down like bowling pins. Carr is no puss. he runs with a little attutide for a qb

Sage looked great! its good to see that from him because it keeps david on his toes.

I thought Mario looked good. i spent some time just watching him through my binoculars and i saw several occasions where they sent 3 to block him. thats what we need. i throws the balance to our side.

Wali lundi looked great and i want to see more. Taylor was less spectacular but i like him and he did good. Joppru caught a ball. i think.

we threw several to owen daniels.

I was happy.

DocBar
08-13-2006, 12:36 AM
I got about what I was looking for out of preseason game 1. Every position needs work. I'll be looking to game #3 before I REALLY start critiquing things.
All in all, I was more than pleased.

phan1
08-13-2006, 12:42 AM
Correct me if im wrong, but i think our offensive line went the whole game without a false start!...wow.

I really like that. Not many offensive penalties at all. False starts are something that makes me really sick, I don't see why it ever happenss.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-13-2006, 12:46 AM
Wali Lundy is a beast!

jerek
08-13-2006, 12:53 AM
I knew what to expect. I dared hope for it. I got it all, and then some. Kubiak is the real deal. The playcalling was excellent, and the complete change in attitude in the players is apparent. This is what ball control is supposed to be. Dominant, confident, and intelligent. Seriously, it's only a preseason game, but this was like waking up from a nightmare. It's awesome.

No sacks. Hallelujah. No INTs. No fumbles (until that botched PR.)

Jameel Cook made a lot of good lead blocks.

Moulds; everything we'd hoped for.

Rosenfels is a very capable backup.

Carr looked pretty good overall but caught a serious break on that botched INT. He's always come out with nerves IMO and needs a series to settle down. I still like him for having a breakout year.

Taylor wasn't as valuable as I'd thought/hoped he be, but I still like him for a role in the offense this year. Lundy put up a tough act to follow though.

Antowain Smith is so friggin slow.

Lundy looked better than I thought he would. Good decision making with the ball.

DeMeco Ryans was an excellent draft pickup and appears to be well on his way to living up to high expectations.

First team D wasn't what I hoped for, but I think some of that was playcalling.

Wand looked pretty good but honestly our playcalling is designed to mask weakness in our O-line, so it's hard for me to say affirmatively one way or the other.

Curtis, Daniels, Kalu, and Cochran impressed.

I was one short on my prediction; 5 sacks IIRC, not 6.

I'm getting a copy of the game Monday night. I'll post more this week when I've had the chance to watch it in detail.

Insideop
08-13-2006, 01:11 AM
David Anderson #14.

I was very impressed with him tonight. Good quickness and hustle. Reminds me of Tim Dwight.

I guess you didn't see his fumble on the punt return that lead to a KC touchdown! You are right about his hustle and he seemed to show pretty good quickness on one of the returns I saw, but I don't know if he makes the team and that fumble might have killed his chances. I hope they give him somemore chances. I like the kid too and hope he finds a way to stick. Just my :twocents:

wags
08-13-2006, 01:11 AM
I thought our QB's did ok. Carr didn't really play enough to merit criticism or praise. Sage was average IMO. I think he'll be a good backup QB though.

Lundy seems quick and ran well, but had a drop and got lit up trying to pick up the blitz.

OL was definitely better. I thought Spencer did pretty well.

Travis Johnson actually got some penetration....against the second team.

Our LB's have got to learn to not overrun a play and Brown and Earl have got to get better in run support. On the TD run the RB split those two guys like it was nothing. I can see our D giving up lots of yards on the ground.

David Anderson is one quick SOB.

ccdude730
08-13-2006, 01:12 AM
carr had a couple bad throws while in the pocket, but otherwise looked pretty good. especially on rollouts he looked a lot more decisive in throwing or bringing it down and taking off - im glad and credit kubiak for encouraging him to run a little more.

i did not notice mario a whole lot, but the several times i did - WOW. with a simple shove he was knocking guys back off the line. he will be an amazing force on the dline throughout the whole game

the dt's were getting abused by the chiefs interior line

lewis sanders looked pretty good, and i cant wait for pbuch and petey to return

lundy and taylor both looked pretty good. lundy appears to be a little more ready than taylor but that might change. he was hitting the holes and accelerating - had 1 bad play where he dropped the swing pass

the oline looked alot better and IMO wand is a legit starter for us. i did notice 1 play where he gave the DE a lot of cushion and almost gave up the sack. winston looked really good from what i saw - he might be starting by the end of the season

the tight ends appeared to be more involved with our big 2 WR out of the game, or maybe sage was looking for them more than his other WRs.

i cant wait for next week to see how carr comes back after this week (im assuming he was a little jittery)

HeartofHouston
08-13-2006, 08:21 AM
- First Impressions -

Sage Rosenfels and Quinton Porter seemed pretty capable of running this offense. That's good to know..

Wow No Sacks!!..

Carr still looked a lil nervous.

Man! Smith is not quick enough to be in this system.

Why Not Trade Domanick Davis? Lundy and Taylor are doing pretty darn good..

Daniels has some good catches, I was looking for some morer YAC tho.

Good Job Moulds!

Who the heck is this Curtis guy on this interception?

I wasn't overly impressed with Ryans as other people were but I could definetly see him making an impact when he gets his feet wet.

We should have started Peek over Babin, Peek was in their backfield ALOT more than Babin.

50+ Million Dollars!?!? Come on Super Mario Powerbomb somebody or something...

Wong was so excited about this new team it kinda looked like he just had some crack and couldnt stop moving..

Shantee Orr is quick!!! and a solid tackler..

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
08-13-2006, 08:30 AM
Looks like I'll have to change my avatar lol :hides:
NO NO NO NO NO you know what happened last time DONT DO IT

CenTexNative
08-13-2006, 08:39 AM
I watched the entire game and I must admint. I was impressed by the new offense but not so much by the defense. Now hold on. I had a very good feeling about how the defense would step it up a few notches this year. Especially with the drafts and free agents and all. The defense is looking very very good to me. But one pre-season game does not make for a good tale of the tape. I'll reserve full judgment for later.

phantom17
08-13-2006, 11:27 AM
The O line looks good- zero sack allowed, when was the last time this happened, pre or reg season!? The D line gives me hope & will become better! That's why I like the 4-3 D (if ran properly) & it shows bcuz the D got 5 sacks! Plus the team looks like it got another gem in the 4th rd...again ( like DD & Mathis in prev yrs)! I thought most of the rooks performed well in their 1st campaign!:superman:

Nawzer
08-13-2006, 11:58 AM
Solid but unspectacular. And I will take that any day. I'd rather see a "boring" win over a "flashy" loss. Specially coming off a year where we found spectacular ways to lose football games. It was good to see the Kubiak era get off to a good start. It will take time but I feel confident that we're heading in the right direction finally.

nunusguy
08-13-2006, 12:30 PM
I've tried to remain neutral on Carr, but in all candor have been inclined to favor him to a degree if for no other reason that he's so important to the team.
But I got to go along with Herv and others who weren't that impressed with
his performance last night. Oh he's still got the athleticism and he's still got that gun, and he showed both off last night a couple times. But the Chiefs DB showed us why he's a DB and not a WR, because that should have been an interception. And Carr fumbles a snap on 4th and 1, I mean he shouldn't have nerves in this game or lack focus, dang he's a 5th year starter in a preseason game at home.
On the other hand, while Sage doesn't have Carr's arm he can move and I felt more comfortable, dare I say more secure with him at QB.
But the two rookie RBs and especially Lundy, reassured me about Kubiaks decision to pass on Bush. I just wonder if a talent like Bush wouldn't be wasted on this offense ?
And unlike as advertised, the D-Line "DID NOT" overwhelm. And the same goes for Mario, but I think he was in for only a quarter ? And its only his first preseason game. Gonna have to accumulate a lot more evidence and give Mario a chance to get a little acquainted with the NFL before we can accurately evaluate him, IMO.
But I'm already a DeMeco fan ! Cat quick and aggresive, he's fun to watch and I don't think its a stretch to see him end up being the best rookie LB in the NFL this year. Jamie who ?
But I sensed an overall talent level or depth on the team that clearly surpases the teams previous years. That's very encouraging.
But not bad for the first preseason game and happy to finally get the season underway for a chance of redemption of last years disastor.

edo783
08-13-2006, 01:22 PM
First perseason game we:

Got 5 sacks

Gave up zero sacks

Got an interception or two

Threw zero interceptions

We won the game

About all you could expect for the first preseason game. Only spot I didn't care for was that we looked soft up the middle against the run.

thunderkyss
08-13-2006, 08:15 PM

But Carr............

Mario.......

TJ........

Seth Wand........

Sage Rosenfells......

Just finished watching the game.... I still agree with everything I've said so far. Iwant to add.......

Quintin Porter looked pretty good........ didn't hurt, having a 10 point lead, and their offense pretty much stalemated.

Overall, I think our defense looked very good...... highlighted by LewisSanders....... I like the extra effort he's putting in, and if he's starting in September, I'd be perfectly fine with that.

Chris Taylor... sorry, but I think he is a beast.... no he didn't rack up a lot of sacks, but he hit the wholes hard, and he hit the defense hard. I'd be happy letting AntowaineSmith go, and using Taylor in shortyardage...

Kyle Turley is going to do fine at Left Tackle....

thunderkyss
08-13-2006, 08:23 PM
I guess you didn't see his fumble on the punt return that lead to a KC touchdown! You are right about his hustle and he seemed to show pretty good quickness on one of the returns I saw, but I don't know if he makes the team and that fumble might have killed his chances. I hope they give him somemore chances. I like the kid too and hope he finds a way to stick. Just my :twocents:

No....... I don't think anyone is going to put too much tought into that play. had this been a regular season game, I know Kubiak would've challenged it.... he definitely called for a fair catch, and wasn't given his space.

I'm not saying he will make the team, but he did look impressive, overall, and that one fumble alone won't cut him from the team.

CloakNNNdagger
08-13-2006, 09:43 PM
The offense (particularly the QB's) seemed to have grasped the new system like they've been in it for years.

For someone so excited to be playing in a 4-3, Travis Johnson looks like he's still in a two-gap system, and even appears to take plays off. If he approached every snap like his almost-sack, he would be starting.

Speaking of someone who should be starting, Seth Payne is really showing his stuff.

Quinton Porter is unusually accurate for a 3rd-stringer...

Antowain Smith probably won't make the final roster, especially if DD heals up.

TJ certainly did not "look" like he played with fire, but unless my eyes deceived me, he was actually dealt a number of double teams....and reasonably still held his own.

thunderkyss
08-13-2006, 10:03 PM
I was very impressed with TJ.......

to me, he is being treated by Kubiak the same way LJ was treated by DickVermeil.... with all the diaper talk and all.

texasguy346
08-13-2006, 11:18 PM
I'll chime in as well.

I really liked how the offense didn't get a lot of penalties. You generally expect a few false starts in the first preseason game. I expected to see quite a few with a new coach and a new & more complicated offense. These guys looked well prepared. Imagine how they'll be in a regular season game.

I like Kubiak's offense much more than I Capers' offense. The TE's are in play alot more, and the ball seems to move down the field more.

Speaking of TEs it was great to see Joppru on the field finally. Based off this game it looks like he'll be 3rd string with Daniels.

I agree that Smith seems to be the odd man out.

Derek Anderson looks like my kind of player. He's probably going to be a ST, but he's got some intensity to him.

Babin and Peek look very good. They should cause some trouble this year.

Weaver was pretty quiet, and I want to see more from him.

Payne is still bringing the pain. TJ still needs work.

I liked what I saw from Ryans. He's still a little slow to read a play, but he's very quick to react once he reads it. When he comes he comes with bad intentions. He'll be fun to watch.

Our OLBs didn't impress me much. We'll have to add some talent there in the years to come.

McCleon looks rusty, but he'll be a serviceable CB for us.

Wand looked pretty good, but I have to say that Spencer looked pretty good in his time in there as well. He handled bull rushers well, and he had pretty good feet. He'll definately keep the pressure on Wand to do well.

Winston is still a little bit off. I don't think we'll see him starting this year unless injuries force him into the lineup. Next season seems more like a time for him to get into the starting lineup.

Our offense really impressed me, and our defense seemed much more agressive. I like what I'm seeing there, but there's alot of youth in the D so it'll take time to click.

I like the balance on offense, and I think we'll be in alot of games this year. We'll definately be a surprise team IMO.

There are a few of my first impressions.

Smash_Mouth_Mario
08-14-2006, 12:16 AM
Derek Anderson looks like my kind of player. He's probably going to be a ST, but he's got some intensity to him.

Babin and Peek look very good. They should cause some trouble this year.

Weaver was pretty quiet, and I want to see more from him.

Payne is still bringing the pain. TJ still needs work.

I liked what I saw from Ryans. He's still a little slow to read a play, but he's very quick to react once he reads it. When he comes he comes with bad intentions. He'll be fun to watch.

Our OLBs didn't impress me much. We'll have to add some talent there in the years to come.

McCleon looks rusty, but he'll be a serviceable CB for us.

Wand looked pretty good, but I have to say that Spencer looked pretty good in his time in there as well. He handled bull rushers well, and he had pretty good feet. He'll definately keep the pressure on Wand to do well.

Glad to hear about... Ryans, Anderson and Spencer. I hope that Winston stays healthy.

cj5776
08-14-2006, 12:39 AM
Sorry for the dark cloud of realism, but the same doubts I had before the game I still have after the game- running game, and back 7 on D.

Can a 6th round rookie carry the running game and can the Dline carry the D. Yes for a preseason game, but for a season?

It really looks like are LB needs to be shuffled. Considering we might not be green at WLB, but we might not have talent either. BGreen and Greenwood do not look like the answer. Of the three solid Sam LBs, (SOrr, Anderson, Pettway) can one or more play weak side? What about Cowart moving to Sam to balance the shift. I like the idea of Polk backing up Ryans at Mike, MLB.

jdog
08-14-2006, 09:21 AM
I was scared of our first team run defense at first, but I replayed it several times and noticed that they swarmed to the ball as soon as possible. They were handled at the line, but it is the KC o-line. The time Dee Brown went into the end zone was ugly. I do not know what happened there, but it seemed like the line backers were playing up to the line too much to me.

HOU-TEX
08-14-2006, 09:30 AM
I was scared of our first team run defense at first, but I replayed it several times and noticed that they swarmed to the ball as soon as possible. They were handled at the line, but it is the KC o-line. The time Dee Brown went into the end zone was ugly. I do not know what happened there, but it seemed like the line backers were playing up to the line too much to me.

The one thing I noticed about that play is that Payne was manhandled. Keep in mind that doesn't excuse the rest of the D, but that is what I noticed. He was doubled and completely moved out of the play.:crying:

jerek
08-14-2006, 09:42 AM

Our ends were repeatedly rushing to the far outside and KC kept running the ball up the middle. Our D-line needed to crash in more, not to mention the basic fact that our D-line isn't built to be a "monster" against the run. Weaver is light for a DT and nobody on that line except Mario is packing any real size for their respective position ... as far as the crash inside, it's a simple adjustment that I expect will be made this week in practice.

HJam72
08-14-2006, 09:44 AM
All in all, we went 2-14 last year, so, I have to say the Chiefs really suck. :)

HOU-TEX
08-14-2006, 09:46 AM
Our ends were repeatedly rushing to the far outside and KC kept running the ball up the middle. Our D-line needed to crash in more, not to mention the basic fact that our D-line isn't built to be a "monster" against the run. Weaver is light for a DT and nobody on that line except Mario is packing any real size for their respective position ... as far as the crash inside, it's a simple adjustment that I expect will be made this week in practice.

There was hardly any blitzing either. I think this defensive scheme was just the basic look of our D. I wouls expect more blitzing from the LBs, as well as from the outside.:twocents:

Texans_Chick
08-14-2006, 09:47 AM
I put my reaction on the FanBlog:

Texans beat Chiefs 24-14: Reaction (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/08/texans_beat_chiefs_2414_reacti.html)

The short version:

Love the offense

Still have questions about the defense

Wondering about Kris Brown

I put some fun stats over there too.

It will be interesting to see how they play on the road.

What a fun game to watch. Fun. That's what I'm talking about. FUN. :redtowel:

Kaiser Toro
08-14-2006, 09:49 AM
Just to be on record, I saw what I expected. There was not one surprise upon my viewing. In Kubiak I trust.

Vambo, the Marble Eye
08-14-2006, 09:52 AM
As I watched the second string play, I kept trying to remind myself that they were playing second stringers. The competition is not as stiff...

I have to say that for the first time in two years of pre-season that I have watched our second teamers where obviously better than the opposition's second team.

Translation: We have more depth... or everybody KC has is hurt?

Runner
08-14-2006, 09:53 AM
Translation: We have more depth... or everybody KC has is hurt?

Some of both, I think.

beerlover
08-14-2006, 09:53 AM
the Texans D looked much improved both at the point of contact & lateral speed sideline to sideline. DeMeco looks like he will eventually be the driving force behind it, I'll cut Mario slack when the regular season comes I expect him to study game film to find ways to beat the double teams.

I loved the play of the offensive line (Flannigan & Spencer). Lundy looked like a slightly bigger version of DD (has a long way to go to match DD's soft hands & quickness). Owen Daniels was my biggest surprise, Kubiak showed how much he uses the TE position & Owen showed he knows how to find the spots and run smart in this offense. this is a weapon never used in previous seasons for the Texans so this may be the biggest change of all, opening up running lanes and outs to the WR's :redtowel:

Vinny
08-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Our ends were repeatedly rushing to the far outside and KC kept running the ball up the middle. Our D-line needed to crash in more, not to mention the basic fact that our D-line isn't built to be a "monster" against the run. Weaver is light for a DT and nobody on that line except Mario is packing any real size for their respective position ... as far as the crash inside, it's a simple adjustment that I expect will be made this week in practice.That isn't accurate. Robaire Smith is not undersized and he is a starter. He is an underachiever...but he isn't undersized.

jdog
08-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Carr is going to be better than Plummer in this system.

Moulds will have a great season.

Lundy could be great except for his hands. He has excellent vision. I want to see Morency in this system. DD will kick serious butt. I do not think we will have problems with the running game. Smith had no vision. There were holes opening around him while he ran into piles.

HOU-TEX
08-14-2006, 10:07 AM
Carr is going to be better than Plummer in this system.

Moulds will have a great season.

Lundy could be great except for his hands. He has excellent vision. I want to see Morency in this system. DD will kick serious butt. I do not think we will have problems with the running game. Smith had no vision. There were holes opening around him while he ran into piles.

I agree, he didn't look good at all. Maybe he'll come around but it's not looking too good for him right now.:twocents:

Chance_C
08-14-2006, 10:23 AM
I was impressed with Wand. He pushed his man to the outside and didn't let him get around him. He drove the guy all the way to the end zone on the 5 yard run by Lundy. I saw him drive his guy to the ground at least once, as well as Flanagan. Carr threw a bad pass behind AJ (should have been intercepted) or if he would have led him it would have been a big gain. Also fired a bullet to AJ, that the LB deflected. He was locked onto AJ and the LB was locked onto him. No mishandled snaps please David. Especially on 4th and 1, on your on side of the field. All in all he was ok. His throws from the pocket were off target, but his rollouts were pretty good. That's David though.

jerek
08-14-2006, 10:37 AM
That isn't accurate. Robaire Smith is not undersized and he is a starter. He is an underachiever...but he isn't undersized.

I was referring to Payne, who IIRC was in more than Robaire. If I'm wrong about that then I hope you'll forgive me as I haven't gotten to rewatch it yet. Either way, my impression was that we didn't go inside enough and that helped Larry Johnson out when he went straight up the middle. I plan on watching the game tonight, so I'll be able to speak in more specific/accurate terms then.

Vinny
08-14-2006, 10:40 AM
I was referring to Payne, who IIRC was in more than Robaire. If I'm wrong about that then I hope you'll forgive me as I haven't gotten to rewatch it yet. Either way, my impression was that we didn't go inside enough and that helped Larry Johnson out when he went straight up the middle. I plan on watching the game tonight, so I'll be able to speak in more specific/accurate terms then.
I didn't see how you were speaking about Payne, and Robaire starts over him and was in when Johnson and the 1st team was in the game. I keep telling you that if you want your words to be respected you can't just say anything then come back and say you meant something else....you do this constantly.

Originally Posted by jerek

jerek
08-14-2006, 10:42 AM
I didn't see how you were speaking about Payne, and Robaire starts over him and was in when Johnson and the 1st team was in the game. I keep telling you that if you want your words to be respected you can't just say anything then come back and say you meant something else....you do this constantly.

Originally Posted by jerek

Dude, then read my mind next time. Fair enough. I'll watch the tape and come back with specifics later.

Vinny
08-14-2006, 10:45 AM
A statement that none of the linemen have enough size was just flat wrong. It's not an opinion.

chuckm
08-14-2006, 10:53 AM
Dude, then read my mind next time. Fair enough. I'll watch the tape and come back with specifics later.

I respect you Jerek ...... you're A-OK in my book ..... :superman:

jdog
08-14-2006, 10:57 AM
I respect you Jerek ...... you're A-OK in my book ..... :superman:

Yeah, me too. If we have size on the line, we maybe do not have technique because we did not look good inside against the run.

jerek
08-14-2006, 11:03 AM
A statement that none of the linemen have enough size was just flat wrong. It's not an opinion.

I agreed that it is wrong; you called me on it, and there you go. However my other point -- that we didn't do a good job crashing in to prevent the run up the middle -- stands.

Respect my words or don't, but yes, even I can make a mistake. I didn't realize Robaire was nearly 330 and he sure as hell doesn't play like he is, and it doesn't change the fact that we are at best average, in terms of weight across the line on any given play. Mario is oversized, Weaver is undersized, Babin slightly undersized, Peek undersized. Weight isn't directly proportional to run-stopping ability but it's a factor.

So forgive me for misstating a fact and for being imprecise in this or any other post. You called me on it, and I acknowledge that. As far as my accuracy, let me general body of work do the talking.

Snapple
08-14-2006, 11:43 AM
I have to say that the Texans first preseason game greatly exceeded my expectations. The O-line was beautiful, just beautiful. Kubes is making a believer out of me already.

A lot of the offense was really clicking, and I couldn't be happier about it. I also get fuzzy feelings when I think about what DeMeco could become.

The only black spot was Mario. I've believed since draft day that we made a huge mistake taking Mario over Reggie, and this first weekend did nothing to change that. Reggie looked awesome in his first game. Mario got owned badly by a tackle who's been out of the league for THREE YEARS.

I'm not saying Mario won't get better. I'm not saying I don't support him fully. I'm just saying the first game did absolutely nothing to erase my reservations.

Overall, a very positive first game though. I hope we don't show TOO much of the playbook before the season starts though.

thunderkyss
08-14-2006, 11:55 AM
I have to say that the Texans first preseason game greatly exceeded my expectations. The O-line was beautiful, just beautiful. Kubes is making a believer out of me already.

A lot of the offense was really clicking, and I couldn't be happier about it. I also get fuzzy feelings when I think about what DeMeco could become.

The only black spot was Mario. I've believed since draft day that we made a huge mistake taking Mario over Reggie, and this first weekend did nothing to change that. Reggie looked awesome in his first game. Mario got owned badly by a tackle who's been out of the league for THREE YEARS.

I'm not saying Mario won't get better. I'm not saying I don't support him fully. I'm just saying the first game did absolutely nothing to erase my reservations.

Overall, a very positive first game though. I hope we don't show TOO much of the playbook before the season starts though.

Out of curiousity.......... exactly how did Reggie Look awesome?? he couldn't get to the corner, just like we said he wouldn't be able to...... he got stood up by PacmanJones, when everyother starting runningback would have ran over him, and his one long run wasn't really all that impressive....... there was no one there for him to juke..... he beat one guy to the corner, and didn't utilize his blocker correctly.

And how exaclty did Mario get owned by Turley?? Turley needed help, and Mario was on his feet before, and after the play...

beerlover
08-14-2006, 11:55 AM

winning games will solve everything. Mario is a team player who will help make the team better & a better team means more winning :twocents:

TK_Gamer
08-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Out of curiousity.......... exactly how did Reggie Look awesome?? he couldn't get to the corner, just like we said he wouldn't be able to...... he got stood up by PacmanJones, when everyother starting runningback would have ran over him, and his one long run wasn't really all that impressive....... there was no one there for him to juke..... he beat one guy to the corner, and didn't utilize his blocker correctly.

And how exaclty did Mario get owned by Turley?? Turley needed help, and Mario was on his feet before, and after the play...

well put, as far as bush goes hes looking like westbrook more I see him, wich means on 20 snaps his one 20 plus run will make every highlight reel and he will prolly finish with less yards than half the league. wow thats alot of money for a 20 snap back.

Double Barrel
08-14-2006, 01:03 PM
I like the attitude on the sideline. Well over 90% of the team was standing and actually watching the game. Last year, most of the players looked bored and uninterested during pre-season and regular season.

Kubiak is intense. Nobody stood next to him most of the game. His entire being is focussed, which is a 180 degree difference than Capers.

Like what I saw on the offense, especially Lundy and the running game, along with zero sacks. Carr looked like Carr with a better cast. I've never been down on him, but I do realize his weaknesses. I didn't see enough of him to really make a judgement call at this point.

Our defense is definitely a work in progress. There seemed to be a lack of pressure on the QB, but I figure this d-line will take a little while to gel. There are so many changes that becoming a cohesive unit takes more than one pre-season game.

Chris Brown better get it together, though. We'll need our kicking game to be consistent, and his performance this year could be the difference between a winning and losing record.

Cheerleaders looked prettier than last year's bunch, too. :ok:

Snapple
08-14-2006, 01:29 PM
winning games will solve everything. Mario is a team player who will help make the team better & a better team means more winning :twocents:

Mario only helps win games if he's good. He's not good yet, if he'll ever be. Save the PR talk. Mario hasn't done squat yet.

See what you want to see. Reggie got to the corner just fine on that 44 yard run. He also had some other nice but short runs before the big one. The last few carries he had were only for like 3 yards each, but he's a rookie. All things considered, Reggie had a good first game, whether you want to accept it or not.

I guess this board is still trying to twist reality to make themselves believe Mario is better than Reggie just because we have Mario. I think if we drafted Reggie, you'd be trying to spin facts the other way.

I said we looked great in our first game. I just added to it that Mario got off to a slow start. Why can't we just leave it at that?

Seņor Stan
08-14-2006, 01:30 PM
It was nice to be able to watch a game and not know whether it was going to be a run or a pass based on the personnel.

HOU-TEX
08-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Mario only helps win games if he's good. He's not good yet, if he'll ever be. Save the PR talk. Mario hasn't done squat yet.

See what you want to see. Reggie got to the corner just fine on that 44 yard run. He also had some other nice but short runs before the big one. The last few carries he had were only for like 3 yards each, but he's a rookie. All things considered, Reggie had a good first game, whether you want to accept it or not.

I guess this board is still trying to twist reality to make themselves believe Mario is better than Reggie just because we have Mario. I think if we drafted Reggie, you'd be trying to spin facts the other way.

I said we looked great in our first game. I just added to it that Mario got off to a slow start. Why can't we just leave it at that?

He is better than Reggie (at defensive end):tease:

dtran04
08-14-2006, 01:38 PM
If the Reggie supporters think he did AMAZING, then how do they think Wali Lundy did? How about Laurence Maroney? He looked like the best 1st rookie RB by far.

Kaiser Toro
08-14-2006, 01:41 PM

Reggie had a good run. Mario did not have a "great" play, but from what I saw on the field he occupied the attention of at least two players on most of the snaps. His value, even in its less sexiest and first moment, is indisputable. I want to win the battle of the trenches every game. I do not want to win the battle of the top 10 best plays of the weekend.

HOU-TEX
08-14-2006, 01:47 PM
Reggie had a good run. Mario did not have a "great" play, but from what I saw on the field he occupied the attention of at least two players on most of the snaps. His value, even in its less sexiest and first moment, is indisputable. I want to win the battle of the trenches every game. I do not want to win the battle of the top 10 best plays of the weekend.

Maybe when we start blitzing a little, it'll open things up a little for him. What do you think? Bring a LB on a blitze next to him to force the line to pick up the blitzer and leave Mario 1 on 1.:yahoo:

Meloy
08-14-2006, 03:06 PM
Impressions I had during the game,

1. Whooeee! I like those cheerleaders. Each can start right now.
2. Carr: about what I expected. Will continue to increase his confidence in the line which will make him better.
3. Mario: I want to see this monster in the 4th quarter against tired OL.
4. Back up QBs: I was very impressed by both.
5. Smith: Didn't understand him starting. Thought it was a feel good move. He is a pound it for a yard or two back. Starting is not where I pictured him.
6. Other backs: Let me say, I had to look away from cheerleaders to see these guys! Players or system? Who cares!
7. O line: 0 Sacks! Did you hear me 0 sacks. Hey David? 0 Sacks!!
8. Defense: Mostly satisfying & they got 5 sacks! Cochrane & Ryans-motivated me.
9.coaches: Both sides of the ball seemed to have a game plan. I did not see a "stay close and maybe we can pull it out in the 4th."
It was a training game. Exactly what it is supposed to be. I never said to myself " Great, here we go again." And man those cheerleaders.

Chris Taylor MVP
08-14-2006, 05:47 PM
Congratulations Texans for such an outstanding display of winning football! Excitement and camaraderie go a long, long way in being successful in the NFL. Here's hoping this continues the entire season! As everyone knows I'm a super, duper diehard Chris Taylor fan! But I am also a diehard Texans fan and wish that they win every game they play! Sure, that's hoping for a lot but hey, that's how excited I am!
It's known by most fans that Chris Taylor is a phenomenal person( I guarantee ya) and outstanding athlete (I stand behind it!). Being undrafted, his salary is pretty low. Here's to paying him what he deserves, which is at least the salary of a first round pick!! Let's show him that we love what he's doing and that though, he was overlooked in the draft, he is not being overlooked and underappreciated by the Texans!