PDA

View Full Version : Smith, Taylor, & Lundy are the backs to see action tonight against the Chiefs

nunusguy
08-12-2006, 08:44 AM
"Three new running backs — veteran Antowain Smith and rookies Chris Taylor and Wali Lundy — will get the heavy-duty work tonight when the Texans kick off preseason against Kansas City at Reliant Stadium.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4112317.html
Apparently Morency is not in the top tier of RBs at this time ?
I'm really looking forward to seeing Taylor, lot of talk about him and his
potential for this system.

Brandon420tx
08-12-2006, 09:30 AM
Morency will probably play next game with Damien Rhodes and another RB *Probably whoever impresses today* That way the coaches can have more reps to evaluate.

Sportsfan
08-12-2006, 09:33 AM
This has been pretty much a given ever since we knew DD's knee wasn't in good shape.

South Texan
08-12-2006, 10:57 AM
"Three new running backs veteran Antowain Smith and rookies Chris Taylor and Wali Lundy will get the heavy-duty work tonight when the Texans kick off preseason against Kansas City at Reliant Stadium.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4112317.html
Apparently Morency is not in the top tier of RBs at this time ?
I'm really looking forward to seeing Taylor, lot of talk about him and his
potential for this system.

It may be that Morency is the front runner and they want to have a better look at the other guys.

bulldawgtexan
08-12-2006, 10:58 AM
Morency is nursing a sore hammy

DominickDavisFan76
08-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Honestly?

Im hoping that Chris Taylor and Damien Rhodes impress so that the rest of the pre-season the reps will go to

Antowain Smith
Chris Taylor
Damien Rhodes....

MAN GO TEXANS!!:redtowel:

TheRealJoker
08-12-2006, 11:17 AM
I want to see Taylor and Lundy more than any other back on the roster so this is good.

rockabilly
08-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Im iffy about Taylor. I have heard good things...but I recall reading some training camp reports in which I remember reading the word "fumble" alot. So I get the impression that hes a good runner, but his hands are like sticks of butter.

nunusguy
08-12-2006, 11:32 AM
It may be that Morency is the front runner and they want to have a better look at the other guys.
I dunno, but don't you think they'd be most anxious to see their front
runner(s) first in real game competition under their newly installed WCO featuring their ZB ?
With it looking more and more likely all the time that DD won't be there for them early in the season (if at all this year !), they have got to make some decisions about who their primary backs are gonna be, and make those decisions real quick.

Vinny
08-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Morency has a hammy issue...so they are taking it easy on him since these games mean nothing more than a way to make sure the last 10 spots on your roster are good decisions. I see him as our feature back if Dom can't go.

NoBullTexan
08-12-2006, 11:44 AM
Taylor needs to run well tonight, but the two things he must not do is fumble or drop a pass!

aj.
08-12-2006, 12:15 PM

Morency is the front runner in DD's absence but he tweaked a hamstring a couple days ago and they don't want to risk playing him tonight.

nunusguy
08-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Morency has a hammy issue...so they are taking it easy on him since these games mean nothing more than a way to make sure the last 10 spots on your roster are good decisions. I see him as our feature back if Dom can't go.
OK, did not know about Morency's injury and that certainly explains his absense from Kubiaks plans about which backs do the heavy lifting tonight.
But I don't think the importance of these preseason games is limited to completing the last 10 names on the roster. For example, I suspect Wand and Spencer and the coaches would tell you theres some important issues that need to be resolved in preseason.

newbiefan
08-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Yea the Chronic mentions Morency's hammy issue. I don't think he would've played much anyways. I think they want to give him and smith reps with the 1st team offense, 1 today one next week. Besides, splitting carries among 4 backs would be 6-7 carries each, and they want more like 9-10 each to get enough film of each to properly evaluate them.

Coach C.
08-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Morency has been practicing all week, split time with Taylor and Smith for first team reps. He is dinged up like most of the players are, but he has not been talking about a bum hammy. Now maybe Vinny and AJ have seen or heard from someone other than I have, but seeing him practice all week and get the usual reps and workload seems weird to do with a bum hammy.

aj.
08-12-2006, 12:37 PM
I'm just going by what Kubiak told the media yesterday. Heard him talking about it yesterday afternoon about 2:30 ish (not in person - on the radio). I think I saw it in the Chronic as well. To amend my earlier statement, I don't know when it happened -- whether it was a couple days ago or yesterday -- I just heard that it happened. It may have been one of those deals when it tightened up after practice and wasn't serious enough to be noticeable on the field. I got the impression that it wasn't serious.

Coach C.
08-12-2006, 12:45 PM
My fault AJ I just had not read or heard Kubes say anything of the sort, but I could have missed it. Like I said I am only going on seeing him at practice this week.

Texas
08-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Yea I wanna see if we finally have some good depth at RB!

vtech9
08-12-2006, 03:24 PM
I want to see Taylor and Lundy more than any other back on the roster so this is good.
:redtowel: :yahoo: ME TOO!!! ME TOO!!!:hyper: Yeah!! football is here, and since the Texans are playing KC, I actually get to watch it LIVE tonight. Unfortunately, it will be with a KC biased crew. BUT, it will still be the TEXANS!!!:woot:

LORK 88
08-12-2006, 03:25 PM
2 of the 3 I wanted to see are playing so this will be good (Lundy, Taylor). Question of the day is, who of the 3 has the bigger game? Ill go Lundy.

Hardcore Texan
08-12-2006, 06:14 PM
Man, ONLY 47 MINUTES TIL THE FIRST GAME OF PRESEASON! I AM PUMPED!

I am looking forward to seeing them in action, all three of them, I just saw the inside TC footage from NFL Network (a friend recorded it for me) and Lundy looked pretty darn fast, I just can't wait......Texans' football is about to commence!