PDA

View Full Version : Jay Cutler should have been the first QB taken!

[[Gary Kubiak]]
08-12-2006, 01:09 AM
Great instincts for a rookie. Not to diss, but his pocket presence is 5 years ahead of Carr and he is a rook.

Mayok was right. The throws he makes are amazing.

Davis37
08-12-2006, 02:41 AM
I agree. The kid looks great

Huge
08-12-2006, 08:32 AM
I say we put him in the pre-season Hall of Fame.

mexican_texan
08-12-2006, 11:11 AM
He wasn't playing with the first team defense, but David Carr does. Not to take anything away from him though, he seemed to have really improved since reports that he was far from taking the job from Plummer, he even took the backup spot from Bradlee Van Pelt. He was compared to Brett Favre, but I saw Peyton Manning in him when he made the TD pass on fourth down. First QB to be taken if Bud Adams didn't own the Titans. Jeff Fisher was the one who told the Broncos they should draft him, IIRC.

DominickDavisFan76
08-12-2006, 12:18 PM
Ummm...no means to disrespect but Bruce Gradkowski out of Toledo was

11-13....and he is a rookie....thats pretty good for his first game ever in the NFL...but maybe thats just me.

Tailgate
08-12-2006, 02:42 PM
I say we put him in the pre-season Hall of Fame.

Niiiice.

football freak
08-12-2006, 02:58 PM
can we trade Carr for Cutler?

Hulk75
08-12-2006, 03:51 PM
You guys are funny, do you really think this kid would be doing this as a rookie QB on an expantion team? With Palmer as his QB coach?

"He is awsome", "Yea". ........................:shades: His first head coach in the NFL is Mike Shanahan a QB genius. He is living the good life as a rookie.

Sounds like I am hating on him but I am not I like Cutler, But holy cow people.

Wolf
08-12-2006, 04:00 PM
hmm but Jay only led the broncos to 13 points.. that isn't good enough

:sarcasm:

huge nailed it with his statement..

not bashing on Jay but will echo Vinny statement above..Jay will be ok over in colorado

"He played well, executed the offense," Denver coach Mike Shanahan said. "Both teams were very vanilla in their approach, so you don't get too excited. But a guy's got to go out there and perform, and I thought he showed a lot of poise."

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20060811_DEN@DET

football freak
08-12-2006, 04:04 PM
Cutler did not play an entire game though did he?

Wolf
08-12-2006, 04:11 PM
no, it is a joke :D
there was a thread on stats and big debate earlier

thunderkyss
08-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Cutler was awesome....but a few plays in one preseason game isn't something to make definitive statements on. That said, he just played like I thought he would play as I was one of the first guys pimping him before most of you guys woke up to him. I'd still take VY over him.

I don't know about awesome.... but he did play pretty well.

I remember the commentators making a comment, saying Jay didn't have any mistakes, that he didn't do anything wrong.

what I thought was humorous, was this was right after he over threw Ron Dayne in the flats...... well, maybe it was two or three plays after.

The kid looked good..... better than I expected, and better than that funny report about him not catching on.

first QB in the draft?? I don't think so... second surely, but first?? the thing about it, is that both the second and third QBs went to teams that really didn't need a QB.

texan279
08-12-2006, 04:43 PM
I don't know about awesome.... but he did play pretty well.

I remember the commentators making a comment, saying Jay didn't have any mistakes, that he didn't do anything wrong.

what I thought was humorous, was this was right after he over threw Ron Dayne in the flats...... well, maybe it was two or three plays after.

The kid looked good..... better than I expected, and better than that funny report about him not catching on.

first QB in the draft?? I don't think so... second surely, but first?? the thing about it, is that both the second and third QBs went to teams that really didn't need a QB.

That "funny" report was from 6 weeks ago, more than enough time to catch on to things and learn.

beerlover
08-12-2006, 04:46 PM
not sure the Broncos have a lot of faith in Plummer so they made the draft day deal to move up and aquire the upgrade. Can't remember the specifics of Plummers deal but this will very likely be his last as the Broncos starting QB :twocents:

ps. I think Carr is very close in most areas to Jay, the main difference being can Carr regain his confidence after being shell shocked four years while Cutler has the luxury of developing on the normal rookie timeline.

mexican_texan
08-12-2006, 05:14 PM
You guys are funny, do you really think this kid would be doing this as a rookie QB on an expantion team? With Palmer as his QB coach?

"He is awsome", "Yea". ........................:shades: His first head coach in the NFL is Mike Shanahan a QB genius. He is living the good life as a rookie.

Mike Shanahan? I thought Kubiak was the QB genius. The Broncos didn't win a SB until Kubiak was the QB coach.

texan279
08-12-2006, 05:15 PM
http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/NFL_Czar/2006/08/12/Cutler_impressive_in_debut

Based on first impressions, Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer has to be shaking in his cleats. Granted, Jake has earned millions so why worry about rookie Jay Cutler playing ahead of him?

We may not be talking John Elway and Brett Favre yet, but Cutler is very close on arm strength. But what was more impressive was his improved quick release, his poise — there was a certain calmness about this kid — and his pocket sense. He used his legs well and he was patient on allowing some pass routes to develop.

In the end, Cutler was 16 of 22 for 192 yards and a touchdown. He also had one drop and another incompletion because the receiver stepped out of bounds after an 18-yard gain. Basically, Cutler’s stats were better than the combined numbers of Martz’s new quarterback stable in Detroit: Jon Kitna, Dan Orlovsky and Josh McCown.

“He played very well,” coach Mike Shanahan said of Cutler. “He executed the offense. He showed a lot of poise and overall did an excellent job.”

Cutler was happy with his debut. He admitted to being a little nervous, but he also said he wasn’t surprised that he played as well as he did.

“Both teams were pretty vanilla out there on offense and defense,” Cutler said. “It will be a lot different in the regular season. Everything will be faster.”

How does he know what it’s going to be like, being a rookie?

“Well, everyone’s told me it’s going to be a lot different,” he said, smiling.

Remember, Shanahan moved up in the draft in order to select Cutler, who might have been the quarterback the Lions overlooked. The Lions had a lot of needs and rookie linebacker Ernie Sims did play very well. But the Lions still need a franchise quarterback to emerge.

Could Vanderbilt’s Cutler really start this season?

“That’s why (Shanahan) drafted him,” another GM said in an email.

Of course, this GM was really emailing me to needle me about saying so many glowing things about Chicago’s Rex Grossman, who had a horrible game against the 49ers Friday night. That’s how fickle this NFL business is.

Dragon
08-13-2006, 07:43 AM

Ummm...no means to disrespect but Bruce Gradkowski out of Toledo was

11-13....and he is a rookie....thats pretty good for his first game ever in the NFL...but maybe thats just me.

B. Gradkowski 11/13 104 yards 2 TD 0 INT 0 fumble - Rookie 6th round
J. Cutler 16/22 192 yards 1 TD 0 INT 1 fumble - Rookie 1st round

I think that what characterizes both players are that both are playing for teams with great QB coaches (Gruden/Shanahan) and neither is expected to start right away, although Cutler might be starting sooner than later.

Gradkowski have the luxury to sit behind Simms, Fiedler and Rattay, although the later will probably be cut, and learn the game for a couple of years

HOOK'EM
08-14-2006, 01:22 PM
Cutler looking like the best QB out of the 06' Draft!

Texans>Colts
08-14-2006, 02:08 PM
B. Gradkowski 11/13 104 yards 2 TD 0 INT 0 fumble - Rookie 6th round
J. Cutler 16/22 192 yards 1 TD 0 INT 1 fumble - Rookie 1st round

I think that what characterizes both players are that both are playing for teams with great QB coaches (Gruden/Shanahan) and neither is expected to start right away, although Cutler might be starting sooner than later.

Gradkowski have the luxury to sit behind Simms, Fiedler and Rattay, although the later will probably be cut, and learn the game for a couple of years

Gradowski is awesome:yahoo: but will not be as good as Cutler. Remember it was only a pre-season game. Cutler will turn out to be the best QB from this class of QB's.

YoungTexanFan
08-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Gradowski is awesome:yahoo: but will not be as good as Cutler. Remember it was only a pre-season game. Cutler will turn out to be the best QB from this class of QB's.

I REALLY disagree. I think Omar Jacobs will turn out to be the best, followed by Lienhart. Cutler does not have "it" IMO. I do not like him leading a team.

Porky
08-14-2006, 02:25 PM
Mike Shanahan? I thought Kubiak was the QB genius. The Broncos didn't win a SB until Kubiak was the QB coach.

I thought it was Palmer who was the QB genius. Gee, I wonder who the next genius will be that Carr never had the opportunity to be coached by.

KKHouston
08-14-2006, 04:00 PM
I thought it was Palmer who was the QB genius. Gee, I wonder who the next genius will be that Carr never had the opportunity to be coached by.

Probably you, Porky. You have such an eye for talent.

Titan "Tack" Fan
08-14-2006, 04:20 PM
I REALLY disagree. I think Omar Jacobs will turn out to be the best, followed by Lienhart. Cutler does not have "it" IMO. I do not like him leading a team.

Omar Jaobs. Hahhahahhhahahhaahhahaha. Funniest thing I've heard all week.

KKHouston
08-14-2006, 04:22 PM

Cutler, Leinart, and then Young.

kingh99
08-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Yeah I saw that damn pass he threw. Elway II? At Denver. ARGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Hey we got Downfield Dave Carr.

ARGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
ARGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Titan "Tack" Fan
08-14-2006, 04:27 PM
Cutler, Leinart, and then Young.

Young, Cutler, Leinart

The bills and raider should have taken Cutler, Leinart ... respectively

KKHouston
08-14-2006, 04:29 PM
Young, Cutler, Leinart

The bills and raider should have taken Cutler, Leinart ... respectively

They should have.

Porky
08-14-2006, 04:32 PM
Jacobs will be very lucky to be the #2 someday.

To me, this horse race is between Cutler and Young. I felt those were the best 2 going into the draft, and I haven't changed my mind. Vince will need more time though, that is for sure.

As for Leinart, I am not a big fan. I think he is over-rated. He might turn out to be an "okay" starter, but I don't think he will ever be an elite QB. And he better get his arse into camp or this first season is lost. I hear Warner is having a good camp.

Huge
08-14-2006, 04:53 PM
Any QB playing for Arizona should look good.

Titan "Tack" Fan
08-14-2006, 04:55 PM
Jacobs will be very lucky to be the #2 someday.

To me, this horse race is between Cutler and Young. I felt those were the best 2 going into the draft, and I haven't changed my mind. Vince will need more time though, that is for sure.

As for Leinart, I am not a big fan. I think he is over-rated. He might turn out to be an "okay" starter, but I don't think he will ever be an elite QB. And he better get his arse into camp or this first season is lost. I hear Warner is having a good camp.

Matt Leinart will have career that resembles Plummer's. Has a mediocre career in Arizona then later on is traded and does pretty well. Leinart will retire and no one will remember him as amounting to anything.

Hutch13
08-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Cutler, Leinart, Young.

HOOK'EM
08-15-2006, 09:05 AM

Whats really funny is Bud Adams taking Vince Young and getting rid of McNair. I think with the first pick of the 06' Draft you guys should get Quinn.

thunderkyss
08-15-2006, 09:18 AM
Cutler looking like the best QB out of the 06' Draft!

I think we all expected that, since he was drafted by a playoff team.

RiotCommander
08-15-2006, 09:38 AM
I agree with what a few others have said about not jumping to say how great he is after one game. However I would like to say that he reminds me of Elway in that he can throw the ball deep with a seemingly effortless motion. Thats not going to win you any games on its own, but he obviously has a cannon there.