PDA

View Full Version : John Walker: The Former Actor

TexanFan881
08-10-2006, 11:36 PM
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/15245074.htm

John Walker didn't play football until he secretly joined the team as a junior in high school.

His mother thought it was too dangerous and his acting contract forbid anything that could cause him physical damage. So when she found out from a cousin that he was playing she showed up at his first game and made a deal with her son.

Walker said his mother told him, "If this is what you want to do, you have to maintain at 4.0 grade point average."

He wanted to continue his football career so much that he did just that. The decision also meant the end of his burgeoning acting career. Before football, Walker had appeared in numerous television shows including "E.R" and "7th Heaven," as well as several movies.

"I was already losing the passion for it because I really wanted to play football," he said. "That's what I really desired. At that time I just wanted to hit people on the field and score touchdowns."

Walker excelled at football in high school and went on to a career at Southern California, where he played cornerback and wide receiver. He joined the Texans as an undrafted free agent.

And as strange as it sounds, Walker said that acting may have prepared him for football in some ways.

"It was about being comfortable in your own skin and being very comfortable with being in front of people," he said. "That's what football is too, it's just a showcase of your talent and the same could be said of acting."

For now Walker is trying to make the team, working at free safety and seeing time on special teams.

"I will fill in wherever the coaching staff can use me," he said. "I'm playing several positions at the moment. It's hard yes. But I'm grateful for the opportunity and I just want everyone to say that John Walker works very hard."

tulexan
08-10-2006, 11:48 PM
I hope he makes the team. His acting may fool opposing offenses to believe that we actually have a decent secondary.

TexanSam
08-11-2006, 02:34 AM
I couldn't find him on IMDB. Maybe he's acting like he used to be actor, which would make him a very good actor for fooling everyone into pretending he was an actor!

Anyway, I hope he makes the team. I believe we can use all the secondary depth we can get.

KKHouston
08-11-2006, 09:42 AM
I couldn't find him on IMDB. Maybe he's acting like he used to be actor, which would make him a very good actor for fooling everyone into pretending he was an actor!

Anyway, I hope he makes the team. I believe we can use all the secondary depth we can get.

It's interesting that a MPLS/STPAUL Newspaper would have Texans Coverage at all!