PDA

View Full Version : Moulds critique

Texans_Chick
08-10-2006, 10:47 AM
This is a local blog that is oft critical of the Chronicle coverage, especially as it related to Enron. Today's post is critical of Richard Justice's position that Moulds is an upgrade over Gaffney, and he claims that the Chronicle is a bunch of cheerleaders:

Houston Clear Thinkers (http://blog.kir.com/)

As regular as the sun rising, the Chronicle sports staff reverts to hometown cheerleaders during each pre-season training camp of the Houston Texans, chloroforming readers with puff pieces such as this Richard Justice column on new Texans wide-receiver, Eric Moulds.

For the first three seasons of the Texans, the training camp stories all lapped up the optimistic theme that the team was making steady progress behind the well-coordinated plan of owner Bob McNair, GM Charlie Casserly and head coach Dom Capers that had led the expansion team to the brink of being a playoff contender. Unfortunately, that theme fell rather flat last season as the bottom fell out for the Texans during a horrifying 2-14 season. It was rather comical to watch as Chronicle sportswriters John McClain and Justice went from fawning praise of the Texans during the pre-season to acerbic criticism just several weeks later during that awful season.

Given last year's disastrous season, the Chronicle's overall theme this pre-season is a bit different -- the team has overhauled management and personnel, and the new, better-organized coaching staff and the new players who the Texans have brought in are moving the Texans in the right direction again. Maybe so, but there is no meaningful analysis in Justice's column on Moulds that would lead an objective observor to conclude that the receiver is a significant upgrade over the forgettable Jabar Gaffney, the former Texans receiver who Moulds replaced.

Compare Justice's fawning piece on Moulds with the following pre-season analysis by the folks at Football Prospectus, who base their evaluations of players primarily on objective criteria rather than subjective considerations:

"Moulds has been an average receiver at best for several years now; even back in 2003, teammates such as Bobby Shaw outranked him in DPAR ("points above replacement-level player"). But the national media still considers Moulds an elite talent because the Bills throw him 150 passes per year, and he still has one or two 9-catch, 120-yard games each season, usually when the Bills are being beaten handily. The new Bills brain trust finally figured out that Moulds' best years were behind him, and they did everythign but throw his cleats into a trash dumpster in their effort to get rid of him this spring. Moulds is a top candidate to fall off the map in 2006."

In short, based on objective criteria, Moulds' decline in productivity has been masked by the fact that his former team threw to him frequently, albeit ineffectively. Thus, objective analysis suggests that the Texans overpaid for Moulds and that he will not be any better than a replacement-level player. Justice's column might make you feel better about Moulds for awhile, but my sense is that most serious followers of the Texans and the NFL prefer the cold, hard facts to the type of subjective blather that the Chronicle regularly fees us during the Texans' pre-season camp.

Geez, nice to leave out the part of about what QBs Moulds was dealing with in Buffalo.

And the intangibles.

He has some nice words for my blog, though I disagree with the unfailingly optimistic part. OK, I'm not a curmudgeon, but the alternative isn't unfailingly optimistic.

Check out his blog, and leave some reasoned comments for him.

Hulk75
08-10-2006, 11:29 AM
This is a local blog that is oft critical of the Chronicle coverage, especially as it related to Enron. Today's post is critical of Richard Justice's position that Moulds is an upgrade over Gaffney, and he claims that the Chronicle is a bunch of cheerleaders:

Houston Clear Thinkers (http://blog.kir.com/)

Geez, nice to leave out the part of about what QBs Moulds was dealing with in Buffalo.
And the intangibles.

He has some nice words for my blog, though I disagree with the unfailingly optimistic part. OK, I'm not a curmudgeon, but the alternative isn't unfailingly optimistic.

Check out his blog, and leave some reasoned comments for him.
Thats right on why he has I guess "struggled". No QB play, I bet he is thrilled to be here with a strong armed QB like Carr...........He acctually said when he got here he is excited to play on a team with an established QB.

infantrycak
08-10-2006, 12:13 PM
The new Bills brain trust finally figured out that Moulds' best years were behind him, and they did everythign but throw his cleats into a trash dumpster in their effort to get rid of him this spring. Moulds is a top candidate to fall off the map in 2006.

Calling this an objective analysis is a laugher. Moulds made his desire to leave the team known during last season prior to the new Bills brain trust's arrival. The new Bills brain trust still doesn't know who their QB is going to be--precisely what Moulds didn't want during the last few years of his career. Hard for a wrong fact to be an objective fact.

But the national media still considers Moulds an elite talent because the Bills throw him 150 passes per year...

Ummm, no. The national media still consider Moulds elite because he still catches 80+ balls a year (on 129 targets) while often being double covered as the Bills' #1 WR.

Moulds has been an average receiver at best for several years now; even back in 2003, teammates such as Bobby Shaw outranked him in DPAR ("points above replacement-level player").

And yet another example of non-objective analysis--this stolen from the guys at Football Outsiders. Moulds was injured during 2003 but played in 13 games just like AJ did last year. Bobby Shaw was so spectacular he has been on 4 teams in 4 seasons. No one with their head not buried in a stat orifice named DPAR would rank Shaw higher than Moulds except in packing his bags.

Porky
08-10-2006, 12:28 PM
What a load of elephant dung. I can't say I totally disagree with his overarching point though. The chronic in training camp gives no real objective or even subjective analysis of what is really happening in camp. It's a feature laden proganda page for the team. Nothing more, nothing less.

However, using Justice's story on Moulds is a poor example imo. His premise would work fine if athletes were machines, and also did not rely on other's around them. The problem is that athletes are human. Relying soley on hard statistics to measure a players total worth is well - worthless. How about Moulds leadership and experience rubbing off on AJ and the younger guys as one example. How do you objectively grade the QB you are working with, the offensive line, and your fellow Wr's and put that into a statistic? How do you objectively grade that? Are these subjective criteria worth anything at all? According to the author, that answer would be no. Of course, that's just silliness on the highest level, so his whole premise is worth about oh....zero. :challenge

El Tejano
08-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Moulds wanted out of Buffalo. The Bills didn't want to let him go. Heck, every Bills fan I know wants him back and tells me we now have to Andre Johnsons that will be better than just Andre Johnson.

Moulds came here knowing he is not the #1 but will make you pay if you leave him as the #2 open.

Things like this are exactly why I can't wait to suprise the NFL this year.

hollywood_texan
08-10-2006, 12:49 PM
IMO, it is possible we overpaid for Moulds and his performance will not live up to expectations. My call is 50-50.

Look, if Moulds was such a big improvement over Gaffney, why didn't any other team offer a draft selection like we did? A good example is the Eagles. The other teams interested in Moulds were content with waiting until after he was released to pursue him because there is uncertainty in his production.

The 5th round draft selection we gave up may become a bargain, but it still remains to be seen.

Moulds is not a slam dunk, which the Chroncile seems to make it out to be a slam dunk. Maybe that is the blogger's point but going a little overboard in explanation and teeing people off?

We shall see this season if it was a good move. Time will tell...

I am not putting cold water on this, just trying to explain the reality as I see it.

Please take it for what it is worth...

aj.
08-10-2006, 12:52 PM
It's kind of like 80% of the stuff on this board. Why waste your time?

Next.

GP
08-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Throw in the fact that Bills are owned by a tightwad elderly man who, iirc, offered the head coach job to Marv Levy before going with multi-super bowl champion dick jaroun.

he won't fork over money for a good qb, he gripes that his little poor old Bills team is in a small market and can't compete with the big boys, and I just generally distrust what they say about their own players.

they are the montreal expos of nfl.

TexanBacker93
08-10-2006, 01:01 PM
Even if his production drops significantly this year his presence and work with the younger receivers makes it worthwhile. Maybe it won't translate on the field and AJ won't progress anymore. Maybe success won't come and the offense will be stuck in neutral. I don't think those things will happen. Moulds is no longer an elite receiver, but he can still be valuable.

hollywood_texan
08-10-2006, 01:02 PM
It's kind of like 80% of the stuff on this board. Why waste your time?

Next.

This is interesting...

Are you saying Moulds will put up All-Pro numbers and there should be no legit discussion regarding the possibility that his production could be way from expectations? Or, is it, that you think it is a legit discussion but take issue with how the writer has framed it?

This is a legit topic in my opinion.

Also, if 80% of this board is a waste of your time, how much of your time do you wast a day? Just curious. With a comment like that, I don't understand how you could have over 3,000 posts, unless you make posts like this that just waste your time.

aj.
08-10-2006, 01:04 PM
Also, if 80% of this board is a waste of your time, how much of your time do you wast a day? Just curious.

None, because I don't read that 80%. I mousewheel right on past.

Gotta run, I'm cutting into the valuable 20%.

...btw, maybe you should look at your own 4.26 posts per day vs. my 3.80.

rafterticket
08-10-2006, 01:05 PM
These guys write for the HOUSTON Chronicle. Now I realize that not everybody likes Justice or McClain, but they are not necessarily being homers or cheerleaders if they are writing preseason articles that are playing to the hopes of the fans, who would rather read articles slanted that way. They are not serving their publications, their communities and especially their long term dinner plans by saying 2005 (if they believed it) or 2006 (no way they do) was already lost.

If he wants to be first to say Moulds was a mistake, let him. I just think he's wrong, and the stats of the posters before me say it even more.

hollywood_texan
08-10-2006, 01:05 PM
None, because I don't read that 80%. I mousewheel right on past.

Then your mousewheeling chops must be pretty tight.

Vinny
08-10-2006, 01:08 PM
These guys write for the HOUSTON Chronicle. Now I realize that not everybody likes Justice or McClain, but they are not necessarily being homers or cheerleaders if they are writing preseason articles that are playing to the hopes of the fans, who would rather read articles slanted that way. They are not serving their publications, their communities and especially their long term dinner plans by saying 2005 (if they believed it) or 2006 (no way they do) was already lost.

If he wants to be first to say Moulds was a mistake, let him. I just think he's wrong, and the stats of the posters before me say it even more.Justice is a baseball guy and his football 'insight' is a bit...um, lacking. McClain isn't very good at breaking down the game either. His strength lies in his network/connections and his ability to gather opinion of others....the Chronicle doesn't have any quality football experts/analysts on their staff imo.

TheOgre
08-10-2006, 01:46 PM
I compare Moulds favorably to Andre Reed. The biggest difference is TD's, and I think that can be attributed to difference in QB's.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/ReedAn00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/MoulEr00.htm

TEXANRED
08-10-2006, 01:50 PM
The chronic in training camp

Well..................theres our problem. Just kidding :hides: Actually that was a pretty good post.

...btw, instead of you worrying how I choose to spend my time, maybe you should look at your own 4.26 posts per day vs. my 3.80.
Ha, I only post 1.5! I waste less time then all of ya! Hey wait, does that mean that 80% of my 1.5 is a waste.

You just mouse wheeled right past me didn't you?:)

Brandon420tx
08-10-2006, 01:51 PM
6.01..... Give me a break I don't have to work or go to school yet! *Starting school in 2 weeks.*

TK_Gamer
08-10-2006, 02:00 PM
well I'll defer to those that have seen both gaffney and moulds at TC, I havent heard anything negative since the first couple days when Moulds had trouble with the heat, and I havent heard about moulds having the ball hit him in the hands or flying past his shoulder while he was looking and moving the wrong way. so It's all looked pretty positive to me. then throw in how happy andre johnson seems to be when asked about moulds and the general chemistry of the 2. I'll take good objective over poor subjective any day.

JDizzle
08-10-2006, 02:16 PM
The new Bills brain trust finally figured out that Moulds' best years were behind him, and they did everythign but throw his cleats into a trash dumpster in their effort to get rid of him this spring. Moulds is a top candidate to fall off the map in 2006."

This doesn't mean much considering it's the same brain trust that drafted Donte Whitner at #8, and then moved back up into round 1 to get John McCargo.

El Tejano
08-10-2006, 02:45 PM
IMO, it is possible we overpaid for Moulds and his performance will not live up to expectations. My call is 50-50.

Look, if Moulds was such a big improvement over Gaffney, why didn't any other team offer a draft selection like we did? A good example is the Eagles. The other teams interested in Moulds were content with waiting until after he was released to pursue him because there is uncertainty in his production.

The 5th round draft selection we gave up may become a bargain, but it still remains to be seen.

Moulds is not a slam dunk, which the Chroncile seems to make it out to be a slam dunk. Maybe that is the blogger's point but going a little overboard in explanation and teeing people off?

We shall see this season if it was a good move. Time will tell...

I am not putting cold water on this, just trying to explain the reality as I see it.

Please take it for what it is worth...
My understanding it was that a deal had to be worked out with Moulds first and because of Andre Johnson we were one of the top teams he wanted to be traded to. The Bills weren't going to release him but when Moulds and the Texans showed them a deal was worked out and then offered a 5th for him we won.

The bottom line is a declining Eric Moulds is way better than a declining Corey Bradford and a rising Jabar Gaffney. For the most part it is not the production side of it that makes it so much better. It is the fact that the big name receivers always had a veteran to learn from when they came into the league and Andre has never had that benefit. He was drafted by a team that had Gaffney and Bradford.

Moss- Chris Carter
Owens - Jerry Rice

SESupergenius
08-10-2006, 03:00 PM
Buffalo lost their offensive prowness a long time ago and the switching of QB's and Offensive coordinators actually diminished Moulds the last few years. I wish people would do their homework first before writing about such nonsense.

hollywood_texan
08-10-2006, 03:24 PM
The Bills weren't going to release him but when Moulds and the Texans showed them a deal was worked out and then offered a 5th for him we won.

Excerpt from nfl.com.

BUFFALO (March 2, 2006) -- Veteran receiver Eric Moulds ' future with the Buffalo Bills became more uncertain after he rejected the team's second request this week to take a pay cut.

"This thing is going nowhere," Moulds' personal adviser, Greg Johnson, told The Associated Press after he and the player's agent, Harry Henderson, held talks with the Bills. "The dollars they're presenting at this particular time are much too low. We're way too far apart to have an intelligent conversation anymore."

Eric Moulds and the Bills have not been able to reach common ground.
Although Johnson expects the Bills to release Moulds, a move that would save the team about $5.5 million in salary cap space, he's not sure when that would happen.

"I think they're going to cut him, but not any time soon," Johnson said.

Here is the full link, http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/BUF/9279258.

Moulds was not going to play in a Bills uniform this year unless he took a big pay cut.

We shall see if this move will pay off. I am just not certain it will, I give it 50/50.

We paid a premium for Moulds relative to what other teams were willing to pay. Let' see if it pays off.

I don't think it is a bad gamble, but it is a gamble nonetheless.

jdog
08-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Everyone talks about how much the Jaguars will miss Jimmy Smith, and I do not see much difference between Jimmy Smith and Eric Moulds. Keyshawn Johnson and Isaac Bruce may be past their prime as well, but I would love to have them on the team. Denver has had great success from Rod Smith, and he is no spring chicken. If you do not think Eric Moulds is an upgrade from Jabar Gaffney, you are delusional. Ask Donovan McNabb if he would rather have Eric Moulds. Ask him after we spank their green winged bootays in week one.

infantrycak
08-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Moulds was not going to play in a Bills uniform this year unless he took a big pay cut.

This was a standard situation not any big statement about Moulds. He was in the back end of a contract and as is very common the numbers ballooned to levels (over $10 mil in this case) which virtually guarantee a renegotiation of the contract, trade or waiver

We paid a premium for Moulds relative to what other teams were willing to pay.

How do you know this? Moulds signed a very reasonable 4 year $14 mil deal--his cap hit this year is $2.3 mil. Where are the reports showing the amounts other teams were offering?

In order for a trade to work out for the Bills, Moulds had to agree to work out a new contract so he drove the bus on where he wanted to go. He picked Houston over Philly.

Moulds decided last week that he preferred to go to Houston instead of the Philadelphia Eagles. He worked out a contractual agreement with the Texans and then awaited the trade.

"I knew Andre Johnson and always wanted to play with him," Moulds said Tuesday. "He's an up and coming receiver, and I felt like the team is on a rise. This is a chance to start new, and an opportunity to play close to home where I grew up."

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2396697)

Runner
08-10-2006, 04:02 PM
We paid a premium for Moulds relative to what other teams were willing to pay.

What did we pay compared to what he'll be worth to us? We'll see.

AFD1717
08-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Since we are all on the outside looking in, I base quite a bit of my opinion about a player by what his teammates say (or don't say). Everything I've heard about Moulds has been glowingly positive from players and coaches. At this point I'm willing to assume that it is genuine.

hollywood_texan
08-10-2006, 05:58 PM
How do you know this? Moulds signed a very reasonable 4 year $14 mil deal--his cap hit this year is $2.3 mil. Where are the reports showing the amounts other teams were offering?

In order for a trade to work out for the Bills, Moulds had to agree to work out a new contract so he drove the bus on where he wanted to go. He picked Houston over Philly.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2396697)

I hear what you are saying, but it seems like we were coming with a lot more to the table than anyone else (no numbers or substantial discussions were made with Moulds outside of the Texans, otherwise it would have been reported). The Eagles keep coming up as the other team that was interested, but I suspect:

1. The Eagles were willing to what for the waiver process,
2. Probably would have offered less money to Moulds.

If Moulds is so such better than Gaffney, then why did the Eagles sign Gaffney instead of Moulds and pay a lot less money and only a one year deal. Gaffney is an unrestricted free agent after this year as I understand it.

It seems to me the Eagles were interested, but were not willing to bid up the price. No other team wanted to for that matter. Getting Moulds, was way too easy.

As I have said, in my opinion, we paid a premium. Sometimes, you have to do that considering your situation, and we were in that situation. Please do not think I am saying it was a bad deal, but there is some inherent risk here. This situation could work out very well for Moulds and the Texans even with premium, and could turn out to be a really bad deal.

Let's get this straight, Moulds is not a slam dunk to be an amazing WR this year. He is on the tailend of his career.

We shall see. That is all I am saying...

infantrycak
08-10-2006, 06:14 PM
If Moulds is so such better than Gaffney, then why did the Eagles sign Gaffney instead of Moulds and pay a lot less money and only a one year deal. Gaffney is an unrestricted free agent after this year as I understand it.

Gaffney was already an UFA--he had accrued 4 years in the league. The Eagles didn't have an option between one and the other--Moulds picked Houston and then directed his agent to work out a new contract with Houston. The only significance to Gaffney's 1 year deal with no bonus is it is reflective of the league's perception of his value--i.e. low until he comes and proves what was holding him back was the team and not his play. I don't see how there is a risk on Moulds. He isn't being paid as a #1 and he isn't barring injury being asked to play as a #1. I just don't see how a 4 time pro-bowler who has been a #1 for 10 years in the league is going to turn out to be inadequate as a #2.

hollywood_texan
08-10-2006, 06:22 PM
I just don't see how a 4 time pro-bowler who has been a #1 for 10 years in the league is going to turn out to be inadequate as a #2.

We shall see if it works out.

Ten years is a long time in the league to play #1 wide receiver and doesn't guarantee #2 production the 11th year. That is all I am saying.

Many people on this MB talk about Moulds as a guarantee to put up amazing numbers this year, which I don't think is the case. If so, many other teams would have went after him during the Texans discussions with him.

I am just pointing out the inherent risk of paying a premium for a veteran that could be past his point of production. It is possible. Do you not think that?

As for Gaffney, you are right he was already an unrestricted free agent. But, it is interesting that if the Eagles were so interested in Moulds, they just settled for Gaffney.

infantrycak
08-10-2006, 06:31 PM
I am just pointing out the inherent risk of paying a premium for a veteran that could be past his point of production. It is possible. Do you not think that?

Sometimes yes--case in point Gary Walker. He should have either been signed to a 2 or 3 year deal at a higher per year amount or a longer term deal with a significantly lower average cap hit. That's kind of what I am getting at here. I just don't see the premium you are talking about. Moulds is being paid modestly by NFL standards. Top WR's are getting 7-9 mil per year--Moulds is getting 3. History has also shown wiley vet WR's (particularly those who never depended overly on speed) having long careers in the NFL, especially those with well established reputations as workout fanatics--Rice, Rod Smith, Galloway, Harrison, Terry Glenn, Derrick Mason, Jimmy Smith--all with the exception of Rice big producers still playing #1 last year with several playing at the age Moulds will be at the end of his current contract. Anything is possible especially if an injury is involved but barring something like that happening I'd put the odds at Moulds not working out with the Texans as a #2 at much closer to 10% than 50/50. But hey--we'll see. I'm a lot more worried about Carr and the OL than Moulds.

texan279
08-10-2006, 06:39 PM
We shall see if it works out.

Ten years is a long time in the league to play #1 wide receiver and doesn't guarantee #2 production the 11th year. That is all I am saying.

Many people on this MB talk about Moulds as a guarantee to put up amazing numbers this year, which I don't think is the case. If so, many other teams would have went after him during the Texans discussions with him.

As for Gaffney, you are right he was already an unrestricted free agent. But, it is interesting that if the Eagles were so interested in Moulds, they just settled for Gaffney.

Look at Jimmy Smith, Jerry Rice, Rod Smith, Andre Rison, Andre Reed, Art Monk, TO, I could go on and on, Rison and Monk played 15 seasons in this league. As far as people talking about Moulds putting up amazing numbers, I can honestly say I have not read one person post anything close to that, the majority of what I have read on here about Moulds is that there is some excitement that he will be able to take pressure off of AJ and give Carr a legimate #2 option. If Gaff had shown any great amount of value in this league up until this point, which I am not saying is his fault at all, he would have signed more than a 1 year $900,00 contract.

hollywood_texan
08-10-2006, 06:44 PM
Sometimes yes--case in point Gary Walker. He should have either been signed to a 2 or 3 year deal at a higher per year amount or a longer term deal with a significantly lower average cap hit. That's kind of what I am getting at here. I just don't see the premium you are talking about. Moulds is being paid modestly by NFL standards. Top WR's are getting 7-9 mil per year--Moulds is getting 3. History has also shown wiley vet WR's who never depended overly on speed having long careers in the NFL, especially those with well established reputations as workout fanatics--Rice, Rod Smith, Galloway, Harrison, Terry Glenn, Derrick Mason, Jimmy Smith--all with the exception of Rice big producers still playing #1 last year with several playing at the age Moulds will be at the end of his current contract. Anything is possible especially if an injury is involved but barring something like that happening I'd put the odds at Moulds not working out with the Texans as a #2 at much closer to 10% than 50/50. But hey--we'll see. I'm a lot more worried about Carr and the OL than Moulds.

I agree with all your points, but it just seems more like 50/50 to me at the end of the day. Just how I see it and feel it in my gut. So, it seems we really aren't that far off and we are really just discussing the difference between curtains or drapes.

For the record, with all that I have said, I like the Moulds deal and it had to get done because of the situation.

You make great points for Moulds case and I can't argue you with that. But, I can say every player is different and it is more likely than not that players diminish quickly after their prime years. Not many guys finish out their careers like Rice or Smith.

I hope you are right though!

Seņor Stan
08-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Moulds is about 5 months older than Terrell Owens. I don't see anyone calling TO old.

Moulds isn't coming off a surgically repaired right ankle and a full year off either.

the wonger need food
08-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Moulds, at his age, is not even in the same class with Bradford and/or Gaffney. I would take Moulds at 50% at 40 years old over Bradford/Gaffney at 100% in their primes.

Double Barrel
08-10-2006, 07:14 PM
I just don't see how a 4 time pro-bowler who has been a #1 for 10 years in the league is going to turn out to be inadequate as a #2.

This is my take on it, too. With AJ #1 and Kevin Walter #3, along with a whole cast of players at TE, I think DC will have a helluva' lot more targets this season than in any past.

tulexan
08-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Even if Moulds doesn't have pro bowl type numbers, his mentoring of Andre Johnson and loosening the coverage around him will be well worth what we are paying him.

Hardcore Texan
08-10-2006, 08:56 PM
If Moulds isn't worthy of what the Texans paid for, the go ahead double team A.J. and leave Moulds in single coverage......enough talk, just do it, I am willing to bet Moulds will get his share of catches, factor in Putzier and DD (or another RB) and possibly Walter on the field, I think we will see plenty of completions.

Moulds will have an big impact!

Time will tell, but I think it is a sound investment.

beerlover
08-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Gaffney was already an UFA--he had accrued 4 years in the league. The Eagles didn't have an option between one and the other--Moulds picked Houston and then directed his agent to work out a new contract with Houston. The only significance to Gaffney's 1 year deal with no bonus is it is reflective of the league's perception of his value--i.e. low until he comes and proves what was holding him back was the team and not his play. I don't see how there is a risk on Moulds. He isn't being paid as a #1 and he isn't barring injury being asked to play as a #1. I just don't see how a 4 time pro-bowler who has been a #1 for 10 years in the league is going to turn out to be inadequate as a #2.

I agree with you, this was an outstanding addition one the Texans needed to make to ensure more push in the offense. although probably not the overall yardage leader on the team Moulds could very well be receiving the brunt end of dump offs from Carr until the defense's come correct. at this stage in Moulds career slipping underneath into the #2 role is a perfect fit, I'm just glad the Texans took full advantage of the opportunity. :shades:

CajunTexan
08-10-2006, 10:47 PM
This is my take on it, too. With AJ #1 and Kevin Walter #3, along with a whole cast of players at TE, I think DC will have a helluva' lot more targets this season than in any past.

Agreed...but I believe Moulds will still have to prove, to a degree, that he still has the skills to make teams pay for single covering him.

If you are a defensive coordinator, and have to game plan for our new offense, you will probably tend to roll your coverage to AJ's side.

As long as Carr stays patient, doesn't force things to the double coverage, looks for Moulds AND Moulds can still beat the defences #2 corner one on one, then we will start to see things ease up on AJ.

From what you guys have relayed from camp, it sounds like it won't be a problem.

Ibar_Harry
08-11-2006, 02:13 AM
They say a picture is worth 10K words. Go to the Multimedia at the Texan's Web site and watch Moulds display poetry in motion. Look at what he does and how he catches the ball. He has superior hands and fights for the ball. All of the rest of this nonsense means nothing. He can do it, he has done it, and will continue to do it this year. He is a legitamate #1 receiver and is actually better than AJ right now. Moulds does the little things. The one thing AJ does not have is Mould's hands. AJ is a very good player, but he has to work at catching the ball. Moulds doesn't have to work at it. Look at the last reception on the tape.

Iroquois Joe
08-11-2006, 10:30 AM
Good day Texans fans, Bills fan here.

I came over to see how Moulds was doing and am lucky to find a current thread.
I'd like to give you an outside perspective after reading the posts here.

There is some talk of Moulds being past his productive days and that the 5th round pick and money laid out may be a gamble, or worse a mistake.
I'd like to put your minds at ease in this regard. You have yourselves one heck of a player on the field and in the locker room.

Back up to last season, I'll try to be brief, so please bear with me.

The main reason, IMO, Buffalo let him go is that he was disgruntled and far from happy after so many years of revolving QB's, coaches, and poor O lines.
The Bills had talent, would show promise, crap out, then look to next year where the story would repeat itself. He's simply had enough and with the changing of the gaurd for up and comming new players, the curtain had fallen on his carreer in Buffalo

Many could see that near the end of last season with the fool Mularkey as HC, calling the shots and alienating the veterens with his flip flops and bone head play calling.

Holcomb chose Moulds as his main target, were Losman was hitting Lee Evens and spreading the ball around. Holcomb plays dink and dunk and gets a reception over 20 yds, only if there is a run after the catch. Losman hit Evens enough in the 4 games + he started, to have Evens become the 2nd highest receiver to catch passes over 40 yrds, in the NFL. (Losman does show promise).

For the #1 to see he was suddenly playing 2nd fiddle to the receiver and QB of the future must have felt like a slap in the face for all the blood, sweat and tears he'd endured, not to mention the loosing seasons and frustration in Buffalo over those years. He became vocal and disruptive, (Eric ain't shy),he was benched, dissed and pisssed.

He was gone before the season ended. Of course there is the money thing, I feel that was just the ticket he needed to get out. So he was accommodated for the good of all concerned. Time to go back close to home in the south.

So for what it's worth, maybe not much, it's a fans perspective who followed the story.

What you have is a big, fast, physical receiver, who may have lost a step or two, but has years of experience in cold weather, windy conditions. He's played with and against most defenses and brings a vocal, veteran leadership to your team, on and off the field.

Even at 80% of what he was in his prime, and he's more than that, he's likely better than most #2's you'll see on gameday. He knows his place and role as a Texan, and has the class not to pull off a prima donna, go public Owens display if he thinks he's not being given his due on the field.

If Andre J. goes down, he can step into the #1 one role. He'll be a mentor and instructor to your younger players.

You got a steal for a 5th round pick. Look at the teams now who may have wished they pulled the trigger for him. Dumbass Eagles with Pinkston down and Brown hurting. KC, Seattle and Dallas poking the ashes now to see if there is someone to bring in at the position.

No guarantees Moulds will light anything up, but the Texans took a chance, did'nt tempt fate waiting for him to be released, and now look better, at least on paper, for having done so. I'm sure Moulds will add an eliment to your offense that was lacking, and you will be a better team for it.

.........and yeah, if things were different I'd still like to see him in a Bills uniform.

here's a link to an article that made me think of him again and pay you all a visit. Good Luck, Beat the Colts and Jags this year, twice each,.. deal?

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9594900

HOU-TEX
08-11-2006, 10:39 AM
Great post! I appreciate the scoop. It's nice to have other teams fans frequent the MB. Good luck this season and I hope the QB situation gets ironed out for ya'll.:redtowel:

Texans_Chick
08-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the post Iroquis Joe.

The insights of fans are often more spot on than the articles you can find in traditional media.

Good luck this year. My Buffalo fan friends aren't terribly happy right now but I guess you never know.

infantrycak
08-11-2006, 10:57 AM
He is a legitamate #1 receiver and is actually better than AJ right now.

Even Moulds wouldn't say that right now. From second one Moulds has talked about being the #2 in Houston and nothing about competition. Yes AJ dropped a couple passes last season he shouldn't have and had an injury plagued season but ask any DB who they would rather defend (or Moulds) and the answer will be Moulds.

jerek
08-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Even Moulds wouldn't say that right now. From second one Moulds has talked about being the #2 in Houston and nothing about competition. Yes AJ dropped a couple passes last season he shouldn't have and had an injury plagued season but ask any DB who they would rather defend (or Moulds) and the answer will be Moulds.

I can't speak for Ibar, but when I have stated much that same thing -- that Moulds is a legitimate #1 receiver -- I didn't mean it as a depth chart comparison to Andre, only to say that, in effect, there are many teams in this league where he could start as and fill the role of #1 receiver. I think Andre is still the superior athlete, and I believe that Moulds is quite happy to play second fiddle to and mentor to Andre.

Iroquois Joe
08-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the post Iroquis Joe.

The insights of fans are often more spot on than the articles you can find in traditional media.

Good luck this year. My Buffalo fan friends aren't terribly happy right now but I guess you never know.
Thanks and good luck to y'all.

This is a good board.

I'm pulling for you, and really want EM to prove a good pick up for your club.

We meet this year down there, we have good corners who know his style, so there will be a bit of a reunion.

You can get Buffalo Moulds jerseys cheep from the Bills store if you don't got the cash for a new Texans one. Perhaps I'll come to the game and wear mine:stirpot:

Meloy
08-11-2006, 01:48 PM
I think I will trust the Texans coaches, Andre and the corner backs going against Moulds. All seem to think Eric will do a great job. Anyway, I will give up our 5th rounder for a starter every year. Just go ahead and pencil that in.

Texans_Chick
08-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Thanks and good luck to y'all.

This is a good board.

I'm pulling for you, and really want EM to prove a good pick up for your club.

We meet this year down there, we have good corners who know his style, so there will be a bit of a reunion.

You can get Buffalo Moulds jerseys cheep from the Bills store if you don't got the cash for a new Texans one. Perhaps I'll come to the game and wear mine:stirpot:

I've actually thought about getting a cheap Moulds jersey and then putting his name along with AJ's on a number 80 jersey. Kind of a double trouble jersey. :cool:

Ibar_Harry
08-12-2006, 01:43 AM
I can't speak for Ibar, but when I have stated much that same thing -- that Moulds is a legitimate #1 receiver -- I didn't mean it as a depth chart comparison to Andre, only to say that, in effect, there are many teams in this league where he could start as and fill the role of #1 receiver. I think Andre is still the superior athlete, and I believe that Moulds is quite happy to play second fiddle to and mentor to Andre.

This will get me lambasted, because I agree with you. That is AJ is the superior athlete, but Moulds is the better football player.

Ibar_Harry
08-12-2006, 01:54 AM
Once again, I would challenge all of you to go back to the Texan's multimedia center and watch the tape of Moulds. Watch his hands and what he does to the defense. He has amazing hands. The last catch he makes is with one hand and makes it look so so easy. Watch how he bats the ball in the air against two defenders at the end zone to make a catch. Again, AJ is a very gifted athlete who has a lot to learn, but he is not as good a football player as Moulds is at the present time. Aj is going to catch a lot of balls this year because of Moulds. The same can be said of Moulds. We have simply one of the best combos in the league and they are going to entertain the Texan's fans and totally pxxx off the oposition.